Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    Finally received the GM accessories skid plate package for my '01 4 dr. Tracker that I ordered when I purchased the vehicle in mid Dec. It is quality made and fits great. The front plate is large, heavy steel bolted to the frame with four bolts. The transfer case plate is long and narrow, giving plenty protection, also heavy steel. It looks like this package covers from '99, both 2 dr, and 4 dr., 2wd and 4wd. It's a much better design than the Suzuki accessories skid plate.
  • goslinggosling Member Posts: 3
    Is anyone here from Canada?
  • goslinggosling Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have a 1991 Tracker?
  • greenlemon2greenlemon2 Member Posts: 7
    I am in Canada and I used to own a 1991 Tracker, I now unfortunately own a 1999 Tracker.

I sold my 1991 Tracker to a friend of mine and now wish I had not, it was more reliable than my 1999 Tracker.
  • houstonmanhoustonman Member Posts: 11
    You have to remove the snowshoes from the wheels in order to drive it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Spin Around Town: 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT 4WD

Chevy's mini-ute possesses surprisingly good road feel and cornering ability. But its uncomfortable seating, sluggish engine and high price keep it from being a good choice over competitors like the RAV4:

Just Another Mini-Ute

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • ranger47ranger47 Member Posts: 32
    I'm looking at a '92 Geo (chevy) tracker. Automatic, A/C, hardtop. Says it has just over 30K miles and looks like it is straight without much wear. Question is if this will be worth checking out farther. Are these year trackers reliable. Just want something to beat around in and make the short trip to work. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated...
  • bibi2bibi2 Member Posts: 1
    I. serious about purchasing a new 2001 4 ad , 4 door Tracker. I have heard that the Trackers rust pretty early and also they are hard to re-sell, or have low resale value? Any information, my fellow readers can tell me about the new models and how they like them etc, would be greatly appreciated. This is a great way to learn the real facts about a car, and not just a salesman pitch. Thanks to all.
  • shuggymanshuggyman Member Posts: 1
    I am days away from making the decision on a 2001 Tracker. I have noticed the messages have gotten progressively better since the 99 model. I am not worried about superior engine performance, nor corner hugging stability. My main decision maker is price and more cargo space than a sedan. I am looking for more comments on the standard transmission and overall performance.
  • houstonmanhoustonman Member Posts: 11
    We purchased a 2001 LT 2WD Automatic. I just changed the oil at 6,300 miles ( second oil change). We have had the tracker up to 90-95 MPH for 10-15 minute periods and it has been rock steady smooth ride, and no noticeable road noise. My girl friend complained about clunk between the 3-4 shift. She says this has only happened twice in the 6 months we have owned it; she can't remember the exact details. Thus, I don't know if it is a fluke or what.

The only reason we purchased the tracker was price. Nothing comes close to it for value i.e. V-6, auto-trans, power door locks, windows, cruiz control, luggage rack, running boards, full body cladding, 5 mag wheels, spare tire cover, and RWD (no CV joints to replace at 60,000 miles) and built on a truck frame. So far we are happy with the chosie. If you want a 2 door for off roading, I would look at a Jeep or an Isuzu. Both are a bit bigger than the tracker, seem more rugged, but both cost thousands more.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    anyone else notice the door hitting their arm/shoulder when closing the door?

I am not (overly) fat. I am about 230#, 6'1".

I liked it otherwise, but would not tolerate that for 5 seconds in the showroom, and I can only imagine it being VERY irratating on the road.
  • gene58gene58 Member Posts: 8
    Still very happy with my 2000 2WD, 4-door, auto-trans hardtop which I purchased new almost a year ago. Nothing has fallen off, and no service work has been necessary, other than three oil changes, one new air-cleaner element, one tire rotation and my "Symphony of Squeaks" problem which I wrote about earlier.

If any of you 2000 owners have squeaking sounds which sound like they are coming from just in front of the instrument panel-- they probably are not. Turns out, mine were coming from the hood latch/striker mechanism way up front. The non-sound-insulated hood acts as sort of an amplification system to "throw" the sound back toward the passenger compartment!

Solution: Spray all of the latch/striker parts with white lithium grease, using a towel to keep it from hitting the radiator and other engine parts. You may also want to try adjusting the little rubber "posts" which regulate the hood height when closed.

Hey, everyone and his grandmother has a Ford Explorer or a Jeep-- I like being different, and saving money at the same time!

Back at 12,000-- or sooner if my fun little driving machine develops a problem.

Gene in Amarillo
  • tuffy76tuffy76 Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously considering a 2001 Tracker ZR2. I live in Wisconsin and we get a variety of winter weather - heavy snow, freezing rain, sleet, etc. For those of you in a similar climate, how does the Tracker handle? Thanks!
  • tjeep27tjeep27 Member Posts: 17
    If you (tuffy76) are experiencing the weather conditions you have decribed regularly, then I advise you to scrap the Tracker idea. This vehicle is simply a pathetic attempt by Chevy to imitate the Jeep Wrangler. Geo tried to do it, and they failed miserably. Go out and buy a hard top Jeep Wrangler. You can find a used Sport for far less then a brand new Tracker. A new one would also cost less. It won't let you down. Jeeps Rule.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    GM was never trying to imitate the Jeep. GM is competing with other small spot utilities. While not as refined as a RAV4, it certainly is a good value. Unfortunately (for some unknown reason) the V6 version is not available in Canada (even though it's made here). If you want the V6, you have to get the Suzuki.
    Have had no problems with my '01 4 dr/2.0L/5 sp with 5K miles. I've done oil changes (the oil filter is tiny!), tire rotation, added Suzuki accessories mud flaps and GM accessories skid plate package. Getting 24 mpg in mixed driving. The engine noise is greater above 3k rpm and the clutch engages high on the pedal, both minor irritants and easy to get used to. All in all pleased with this vehicle especially for the type of driving I do which includes commuting mountain roads, freeways, town roads and 4wd driveway.
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    Hi all....this is my first post. Just bought a 01 LT black with a silver bottom. Traded in the 99 4dr we had for 2 yrs. The 99 never give me a minutes trouble while I had it. The 6 cyl is much better but I'll not give any mustangs or cameros any trouble. And if you have to go a 1000 miles to grandmas house and back...take the buick(or the other car). But they do what they are designed to do and do it well. I love it.
  • gene58gene58 Member Posts: 8
    Since no one else has commented on these two points, I will.

I am 6'1", 300 pounds, and yes, the left "side room" IS snug, although I have plenty of headroom. It has just never bothered me, for two reasons: (1)
    I owned two Yugos, so I am used to "snug" :-)
    And (2) Hey, you gotta give up something for
    those thousands of dollars you save over a Blazer
    or a Cherokee!

And on winter driving, my 2 WD is no muy bueno
    in snow-- there is just no traction there because
    it is so light. I did not risk it in our ice
    storms-- so donno about ice traction-- but I
    suspect both would be better with a 4 WD model.

Gene (2000 4-DR, Auto Trans)
    what happened to all the posters for the Tracker. Must be a Tracker spring break :*)
  • emmett1emmett1 Member Posts: 20
    Hi all....I have owned both a 1990 and a 1993 4x4 Tracker convertible, auto, air. I put a combined 100,000 miles on them and never had any trouble. Regular oil changes are all that my toys required. I used them both in the snow and the 93 in the Storm of the Century that hit the east coast in 94 I think it was. 2 feet of snow and not a single traction issue. Overall, I would recommend the vehicle, but again the last one I owned was 8 model years ago. The flip side of that is they are more refined now. I always enjoyed the open air in the summer also, which might explain my 2001 Camaro now :) Anyway, the two I owned were trouble free.
    has a 96 Tracker convertible with over 80,000 on it. She has a rural mail route. She wore out 2 used Jeeps and now has a new right hand drive Jeep to run her route with. She only uses the Tracker for her everyday personel use around town and back and forth to her job. She's had no trouble with the tracker so far.
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    We own a 2000 2.0 Liter, 2dr automatic. Any comments on how the automatic transmission holds up in these vehicles? Any advice on frequency of changing the auto fluid?

Thanks
  • spxtechspxtech Member Posts: 1
    im thinking of buying a 2001 tracker lt please let me know what youre experience was if you recently purchased one and how its holding up
    thanks
    pete from nj
    zeke707........the 96 conv my daughter drives is an automatic. She has had no problems of any kind at 80,000 plus. She got it new in 96. I bought a 99 4 dr automatic and it performed perfectly for 2 yrs. Great city gas milage. I bought a new 2001 LT in febuary of this year, so I guess I like them. I only use mine to get around in the city and these rural indiana roads.
    I just recently bought a 2001LT so I havent had it long enough to tell you much. This is my 2nd 4dr auto tracker. The first thing you want to do is remove the cross bars on the roof rack and store them in your garage. This will get rid of the loud rumble or drumming noise. The book says to slide them all the way to the rear, but that doesnt get rid of all of it. removing them does. I like the 4dr tracker as long as I dont try to take any long trips in it. Its not a freeway cruiser by any means. But it is perfect for around town and short trips to the country. The car magazines say that where it really shines is in the woods crawling over rocks and logs, and will hold its own with any of the others. But why would anyone want to push rocks and logs around with a new 22,000 vehicle.
  • frankb9frankb9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody thinking about buying a 2001 tracker I'm just not sure if it's regade enough i like it but I'm wondering if the Honda CRV looks more regade.
    need some opinions.
  • katsx2katsx2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    Six months ago I bought a 2000 Tracker 4WD. I like it very much, but I had to take it to the shop. It was making an awful rattling noise from the engine. They told me it was the tension-pulley bearings making the noise and needed replaced. While I was getting a rental car, a man told me about his 2001 Chevy Impala that was in the shop also. He just bought two months ago and it needed bearings replaced also. Has anyone else had this problem on any newer Trackers or Chevys? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    What does "regade" mean?
  • frankb9frankb9 Member Posts: 2
    SORRY GUYS I MUST OF HAD A MEMORY BLOCK I WANTED TO SPELL
    RUGGED, SO LET ME ASK AGAIN.

Hi, AGAIN thinking about buying a 2001 tracker but I'm just not sure if it looks RUGGED
    enough i like it but I'm wondering if the Honda CRV looks more RUGGED.
    need some opinions.
    thanks and sorry again
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    I am interested in buying a 2001 Tracker.

My local Chevy dealer in Knoxville, TN is the best. I have no concerns about getting help from the service department, if needed.

I am concerned about wasting money on an SUV that will be a long-term disappointment. I want to buy something that will last and will be fun to drive.

Does anyone know if the 2002 Tracker will be significantly different or improved? Is Chevy considering the 2.7-liter V6 from the XL-7 for use in the Tracker to combat the Ford Escape? Will Chevy ever offer the V6 in the 2-door convertible Tracker?

Any help is appreciated.
    I'm not sure about rugged.. but the Tracker looks more like and SUV than the CR-V. Better deals also as you don't pay that Honda premium. I have seen in the Toronto Star that they have 1.9% financing for 48 months on Tracker now.
  • vitaraboivitaraboi Member Posts: 1
    Hey, trifivenomad. I am a student at UT here in Knoxville. I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 4dr 4wd fully loaded which is pretty much the same car as the Tracker except for some cosmetics. I just did not like the grille and headlights on the Tracker at all. Also, while Suzuki changed the name of this SUV to Vitara, Chevy left the Geo-oriented Tracker label on their vehicles. Thus, reminding one of the time where these small SUVs used to turn over with abotu any strong wind.
    In response to your question, I read thoroughly on the Suzuki Vitara before purchasing it. I will tell you that the 4dr is going to be much more of a value than the 2dr convertible and the seat designs are different. The Vitara/Tracker is bad in no areas but great at none either..except off road. I love mine! I have had no serious problems and I just cracked 11,000 miles. I will tell you that the engine is a bit of a growler but if you listen to music while driving you won't notice. Like someone posted earlier it is a tad slow even with the Grand Vitara. However, this is only upon take off. I've noticed that once you get going you can build up speed without knowing. Other than that no probs at with this car.
    You should probably definitely check out the Suzuki before you purchase the Chevy. Like I said, I thought the front styling was much more desirable and Suzuki will offer some great deals. Chevy did get the V6 like the Grand Vitara but only in the 4dr Tracker. I doubt if the V6 would work well in the very small 2dr...may be a little too much power for such a small vehicle. No word on the 2002, but Suzuki will have the same generation Vitara until at least 2004. thats coming from Car and Driver. Expect much the same with the Tracker. Both the Chevy and Zuki had refreshened grille treatments for 2001. The Chevy may have taken the chrome ussage to the extreme though!
    I've never heard anybody ever say that before.

good one!
  • trifivenomadtrifivenomad Member Posts: 19
    I had a truly unbelievable automotive experience at Beaty Chevrolet.

I got out of the Army in 1989 and moved to Knoxville to attend UT. My home town is Clarksville, TN; about 300 miles west of Knoxville. I arrived in Knoxville at noon, in August during a heat wave. The temperature was around 102 degrees. I was driving a 1979 Ford F-150. I didn't know anyone in Knoxville.

The truck belonged to my dad and he loaned it to me to drive to school. In west Knoxville the radiator blew. I parked on the shoulder of I-40, near Beaty Chevrolet, and walked to the Ford dealer (remember I was driving a Ford truck.) The Ford dealer wouldn't fix my truck since the service department was swamped with work and I was without an appointment.

I walked back to Beaty Chevrolet (about five miles, in August, 102 degrees) and took a chance that they would help.

Beaty Chevrolet towed my truck from I-40 to their service department, went to the Ford dealer to get the parts they needed, replaced my radiator, flushed the cooling system and replaced the thermostat and hoses.

My water pump was also shot, so I asked them to replace it. I had to leave my truck overnight. So they loaned me a new Chevy truck, at no charge, and helped me load my stuff from my Ford into the Chevy so I could drive to school across town.

I told the service manager that I was just out of the Army and starting college at UT. He didn't charge me labor for any of the repairs, only for the parts that he had bought from the Ford dealer.

I am forever loyal to Chevy and to Beaty Chevrolet.
  • joeybaggsjoeybaggs Member Posts: 1
    I am just out of college and I am thinking about purchasing a 2001 4X4 Tracker Convertible. I go down the shore most weekends during the summer, so this contributed to me getting the soft top model. I am wondering how the tracker compares to other mini Subs convertibles such as the via Sportage and the Susuki Vitari. I am wondering how they compare in terms of the convertible models. And how is the security in terms of someone breaking into these convertible models? Also, I am leaning towards getting manual transmission. Since I am probably purchasing a multi disk player for my longer trips, will the manual transmission make my ride rough enough to make disks skip. What do you think?
    I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2dr softtop with an automatic transmission. I installed a Viper security system and a 6 CD changer under the front passenger seat.

I decided to install the security system, which also gives you remote door lock capability because of concern over ease of entry via the top.

The CD changer never skips when driving over rough ground.

The Suzuki and Tracker are the same base unit with the exception of cosmetics and I believe the Suzuki has a larger tire than the Chevy version.
  • geonategeonate Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1990 Tracker (automatic, convertible) about 8 months ago for $2500. It now has 118,000 miles on it. It has always started easily even when it was 15 degrees in the morning. Runs great though I wish it had a little power. The 4WD is great.

However I have a few small problems...for example the convertible in the back by the 'trunk' falls off the side. On both sides the plastic part that keeps it on has fallen off. Any way to keep this from happening? Also the back door stays closed but makes LOUD banging noises...its a 1990 so you can only open it from the inside..so there is only tiny screw holding it on.

I was considering trading in the tracker for a 99 or 2000 Hyundai Accent, Daewoo Lanos....or maybe even a used Wrangler or Samarai.

Who knows!? Thanks

Nate
    The owner's manual does not specify... just wondering if there are any lube points (grease zerks (sic)) on the 2000 Tracker/Vitara and if so, their locations?
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Hi everyone...

My wife and I independently thought this truck had an idiot light to warn us of low fuel level.

Does anyone here have a functional idiot light in their truck???

TIA!
    sounds like someone got stuck.

???
    The Tracker has no grease fittings also it has no low fuel warning light.
  • greenlemon2greenlemon2 Member Posts: 7
    So how is eveyone's transmission doing in their Trackers....

Is it time again for another re-build..... or is it time again for another complete replacement ?
    I'm wondering how people are finding the new generation 4-door Trackers for space. I'm considering a small SUV in the next 9 months. Space is important to me with a growing family. Also looking at the Saturn Vue, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, RAV-4, CRV and maybe even the new Rendezvous. Tracker is probably the smallest of the bunch.
    If you have normal to wide shoulders, forget it.

I went to a dealer, sat in one for about a half a minute. My left shoulder touched the frame, and was annoying just sitting there. I can only imagine it starting to hurt on a long trip.
    I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2dr and a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The Suzuki has plenty of room for me while I am in the driver's seat.

I am 6'1", 200 lbs. Also, the seating comfort in the Suzuki compared to the Jeep is OK for me.
    I am 260 lbs and wear a size 56 jacket. Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip. I have plenty of room in the wife's '01 LT tracker. Not like the buick or the Impala, but Im comfortable. I can wear a ball cap or the stetson 'beaver' without touching the roof. My wife doesnt destroy a 40.00 hair-do on the headliner on the way home from the beauty shop. If ya gotta have a lot of room....get a full size pick-up. Bring lots of 'bucks'.
    Nick
    The ONLY reason we bought Tracker was the $3,500.00 GM points.

This truck is a major disappointment in terms of:

1/ resale value
    2/ performance
    3/ appearance

Does anyone here have any **intelligent** rebuttals to these points???
    I didn't fit.

6'2"
    235#
    athletic build (plus spare tire)

Left shoulder hits B pillar next to driver seat. I imagine this is a safety concern as well, since a hit would transfer directly to my body.
    If you didn't like the looks, why did you buy it? Didn't you test it before you bought it to realize it's not what you wanted?
    I should clarify...

My wife decided that's the GM vehicle she wanted. We had to stick with GM because of the $3,500 GM VISA points. If it was my decision, I would have bought something like a Buick Regal or Pontiac Montana for approx the same cost. I even suggested Jimmy/Blazer but she didn't like their appearance.

Due to her decision to buy this grossly underpowered 2.0L SUV, I had to prematurely trade in my loaded 97 Acura 1.6EL Premium for a 01 Nissan Pathfinder to provide space for the kids. (Darn my luck...)