Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Anyone out there compared a Tracker to a CR-V / RAV4?
  • houstonman3houstonman3 Member Posts: 8
    Our 2001 Tracker 2WD LT had the battery die at 5:00PM on a Wednesday in rush hour traffic in Houston. We called the 800 number which contacted the dealer. At 6:00 PM a tow truck took the Tracker to the dealer's lot. The next day a new battery was installed covered by the warranty. No problem since that time. As a matter of fact the dealer called twice to ask if we were satisified with the repair and service. The answer to both concerns was yes. We have 13,000 on it and it runs fine
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    I never had any vibrations in my '99. It was smooth as butter. I dont think your problems are normal.

Nick
    I hope the snow holds off for a while. I just went out and bought myself a Honda Goldwing. Havent rode for 20 years. I pick it up tomorrow and will learn how to ride again on the 40 mile trip home. So I hope you get at least another month or more playing golf. Your about 500 miles north of me.
    My little Tracker dont care what it does...it's ready for anything.

Nick
  • bouybouy Member Posts: 14
    I am surprised that so many people are having such good look with their Tracker's. My 99 Chevy Tracker is suffering from many little annoying problems! The paint is coming off the front of the hood, the ignition switch is jamming and the horn broke! The car also vibrates at various speeds that is very annoying. I wish I kept my 87-dodge raider!
    If your unhappy with the Tracker maybe its time to drop by the Dodge boys and trade that sucker off on something that your happy with. Life's too short to live like that. Get rid of it.

Nick
    I agree. If you got a lemon, get it fixed up right or get rid of it.
  • bbrowne74bbrowne74 Member Posts: 58
    Trade 'er in! Sounds like you got a lemon. We took the wife's Tracker up to northern Wisconsin this weekend for a weekend w/ friends at a "Cabin" - more like middle-class wilderness, but cabin sounds good!

Got onto some nasty old roads, dropped 'er into 4W High and it was smooth sailing!

I'm glad I got her this little truck before the Wisconsin winter sets in. I need to move south!:>

Good luck with teh Goldwing Nick01 - I was thinking about a bike in the next 2-3 years!:>

B
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i know tracker and sidekick are identical vehicles but i was wondering if anyone know how much of the parts are actually the same.

can suzuki parts be used on the tracker and vice versa?
    I would estimate about 95% of the parts are the same. The parts that are different are mostly for cosmetics. Suzuki parts can be used in the Chevy and vice versa.
  • jimnbenejimnbene Member Posts: 1
    I know that I can set the clock because I have done it more than once, but I'll be damned if I can remember how to set it today.

I have a AM/FM/CD player and the owners manual says to hold the HH or MM button for 2 seconds, but I have no HH or MM button. Is it one of the other buttons?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.
  • pickle73pickle73 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I am looking at 2002 Trackers, and was wondering about security systems. I live in the NYC area, and find this to be necessary.

I know it has remote keyless entry - but is there any alarm that comes with it? If not, am I best off installing outside Chevy (from another company) or asking Chevy to install one when i get the car? I would appreciate any feedback. Help!
  • thrennersthrenners Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about trading my Mustang for a Tracker. (No I'm not smoking crack. The car no longer suits my needs.) Does anyone have any comments on the tracker's v6?
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    On my 01 Tracker with AM/FM/CD, there are two arrow buttons in the lower right corner just to the right of 'audio' button. Pressing and holding the left button advances the hour, the right button the minutes. Hope this helps jimnbene.

15k mile update; no problems, basic oil/filter change, air filter change. This is the 4 dr, 2.0L, 5 sp., 4wd. Very satisfied.

Fuel gauge; every once in while the fuel tank does not appear to fill completely, perhaps 1-2 gals short making mpg calculations frustrating. I've tried different pumps and the 'forbidden' topping off, both to no avail. I've e-mailed Cami, still waiting for a reply. Anyone else experiencing this?

Can't comment much on the V6, the 4 is adequate for my needs, I've read the 6 is not that much more powerful.

For security; I'd get a fuel line locking valve, so even if someone breaks in, starts it, it will die from lack of fuel.
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    I installed a Viper security system in my Suzuki Vitara. In addition to sensing shock or movement to trigger the alarm, it disables the starter.
  • manticore1manticore1 Member Posts: 2
    I can give my brief experience with a new V6. I got a 2002 Tracker ZR-2 with the V6 about a month ago. It cost me low 18's with everything except leather. I already have got about 1,000 miles on it. The engine seems pretty peppy, not a lot of low end though. The gear changes with the automatic are a bit abrupt on mine. Dealer says it will work itself out. Mileage is about 18-20 mpg on a mix of driving. No major issues, couple of minor things at delivery. I like the new headrests and the addition of the armrests for this year. They might make you feel a little cramped. If you are even a little on the wide side you will be glad the armrests flip up. The truck looks nice in black, just tough to keep clean. So far we like it quite a bit. I do wish they would offer tinted glass, moonroof, and the LT grill on the ZR-2. Hope this helps.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    i just bought a 1999 Chevy Track, it has a 2.0 with a automatic trany. it didnt come with a owner manual. i was wondering if any of your guys out there could PLEASE tell me what is the recommend oil wt "like" 5w30 or 10w30 ? also i was wondering how much oil does the 2.0 take for a oil change? and is it every 3000 with the tracker? thaqnk you !!!!
    The manual recommends either 5w30 or 10w30 and makes a warning statement about not using 20w50. I've been using Castrol 10w40. It takes just about 5 1/2 qts. Recommended intervals are either 5K or 7.5K depending on use. I do mine at 5K. I'm glad you didn't get a manual tranny, many problems as stated on this site specifically with '99 manual trans. Good luck
    thank you for the reply, is there anything i should look out for with a 1999 2.0 Litre with auto trany & 4x4? is there any patterns of problems that people have been seeing? i am just a little nervous, i just bought this thing. and i hear 50/50 mixed feelings about it, some say they are great & some say they are Junk. But in my option, the 2.0 engine is NOT as weak as everyone has been talking about. i bought it and thought ,OK this thing will not climb hills well etc etc. but actually it zooms up hills with Min effort.! i was thinking about draining the oil that the shop put in it and put in Mobil 1. maybe 5w30? my prizm took 10w30 for some reason. and that is why i was asking what the tracker took, because i thought all 4 bangers took 5w30, until i owned the Prizm. ALSO BTW !!!! can anyone recommend what to use when cleaning the softtop? i mean on the CLEAR plastic rear windsheild. i was told about 1000 things NOT to use. but no one told me what i CAN use...

thank you
    We have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2dr and use 5W30 Mobil 1. Bought new and now have 12k miles on the vehicle. For cleaning the soft top windows, use running water while wiping with a soft mild car cleaning soap. Wipe in one direction, not back and forth and keep the cleaning cloth rinsed. The idea is not to allow dirt to build up on the rag while cleaning the plastic windows. That will scratch the window surface.

There are plastic cleaner and polish products available from Bestop I believe but have not used any such products.
    i was wondering does anyone out there know WHO or where i might be able to get a repair manual for a 1999 Chevy Tracker? i have gone to some local autopart stores and have had NO luck. hell i cant even find an air filter for this thing ! i was ever told that they cant even order me a repair manual. now nothing is wrong with my 1999 tracker, it is just fine. but i would like to be prepared for if or maybe when i maybe need to refer to that book for anything. i looked at haynes.com but had no luck. the only tracker books i have seen have been for the GEO tracker from 98 and eariler.
    thanks
    I am also awaiting either Chilton or Haynes to come out with their '99 and newer manual. I e-mailed Haynes and was told it would be out late '01. We'll see. I've gotten filters with no problem from Napa. It is the same engine Suzuki uses. Try asking for a filter for a '99 Suzuki Vitara with a 2.0.
    this is what haynes sent me today!

Dear Sir or Madame:

We have relesaed in Sept. revised and updated manua
    #90010 which now covers thru 2001 for your Tracker.

Thank you for your interest in Haynes Manuals.

Sincerely,

Carl Armstrong
    Technical Research Representative, USA
  • curyanecuryane Member Posts: 3
    Help!!! I have a 90 sazuki sidekick and am in desperate need of a good mechanic in Chicago. Not Grossinger!!! Does anyone know of a good mechanic preferably in the city on the North Side or downtown?

Thank you
    i have a 1999 chevy tracker 2 door soft-top & i was wondering if there is a site to where i can buy aftermarket accessories. like chrome brush guards or things like that..

ps.. do they make skid plates for my chevy.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    arkainzeye,

Why don't you try the Aftermarket & Accessories board?

tidester

Host

SUVs, Aftermarket & Accessories

does anyone out there know of a way to Disable the day time running lights. i was actually thinking about some how putting a switch in so that i would have the option of using them or not. the reason i want them off is for off roading. there are time either at night or if you were to spot deer, that you do NOT want them lights ON..
    DRLs have been mandatory on cars in Canada since 1990. I often see cars with out them which means they can be disabled as some people don't like em, or want to be able to turn them off. I know all Police cars have that ability, but I'm not sure how you do it.
    Try www.calmini.com
    i was wondering since i am new to the tracker with 4x4. sometimes wheni use the 4x4 "rarely"
    i will hear a banging noise from underneath.

do you know what that may be,, i am drive slow. NO going over rocks or anything like that. just driving is mud & dirt. and i almost sounds like a hammer smacking the frame or something along them lines. is this normal ?
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    there is no override for the drls. and i don't think that banging sound is normal. i've never heard that. but i did have a problem with the clutch-it was squeeking horribly. the dealer replaced the bushings but the sound was still there, off and on. for now it has quit but if it comes back-back to the dealer. i had to put better tires on it for the snow. i put all terrains on. with the factory "car" tires, i couldn't even go up a hill covered with snow. it was pathetic-and embarrassing! these tires are much better. i put a bugflector on too and now mine is the only one in town with one. it looks good. still very happy with this truck.
    how many miles do you have on your tracker?
    what yr is it? and is it a 2dr OR 4dr?
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    my tracker is 4 dr 4 cyl 5 spd 4x4 2001 11500 miles. it snowed today! i can't wait to go out! i do know that when you engage 4x4 you are supposed to be going straight (not turning steering wheel) and less than 55 mph. what about yours?
    mine is a 1999 2dr convertible 4x4 2.0litre automatic with 4 speed over drive. black with black soft top alum wheels a/c 40K miles cd player etc/ i really like it i just got it a few weeks ago. i raised it up on jacks and changed the transmission, front and rear axles, transfer case & engine oil. i put ALL amsoil synthetics in. it really made the engine run smoother. plus it seems as if the temp of the engine isnt as high. but i am, trying to find aftermarket dreesup items for it. and i am having NO luck at all. i want some chrome brush gaurds. but all they sell are black..... any ideas?
    Was checking the oil in our 2000 2 litre Suzuki Vitara and noticed antifreeze leaking from both ends of the upper radiator hose. Tightened the hose clamps and seems to have solved the problem. We bought it new and now have 12k miles on it. You may want to check these hose clamps.
    Received the updated (through 01) Haynes manual #90010. Looks like a good source for info. I ordered it directly from Haynes as my auto parts store couldn't guarantee they would get the updated version. 'Old' #90010 only goes from 86-96. Why Haynes didn't use a new number is ridiculous.

infinia 1: What brand/model/size tires did you change to? I have 15K on my original Tiger Paws, look forward to upgrading to something more aggressive.

zeke707: Thanks for the radiator hose tip. Those original hose clamps are crap.

arkainzeye: I'm afraid to say that banging sound you describe in #434 doesn't sound normal. It might be a u-joint. Also try performanceproducts.com for after market stuff. I bought a real heavy duty skid plate from Chevy accessories when I bought my 01 Tracker. I believe it fits from 99 on, 2 dr or 4 dr. It comes as a kit which includes a large front plate and a smaller transfer case plate.
  • captjcaptj Member Posts: 8
    I have a ’99 silver/black/2-door/2.0/5-spd/4wd, bought in November ’99. Had the infamous tranny synchros rebuilt by Chevy about 7 months after I bought it. I have noticed that I can still feel the gears mesh going into second and third for the first two or three miles of travel when the car is first driven on cool mornings, but all is perfect when the tranny warms up. I just shift gently until it warms. Averaging almost 28 MPG during two years of using this car exclusively as my commuter vehicle on a 13-mile one-way mixed highway and side street commute. Love the near-immediate heater response in the winter. I keep the tires at 35 PSI, which makes for a firmer, bumpier ride, but still seems to provide excellent traction on the few snowy surfaces I’ve encountered.
    I know a little about skid plate availability. First, there is a 4wd equipment shop at rocky-road.com that advertises that they have one long Con-Ferr skid plate for the Tracker. I never followed up with them to see if they really have one for the ‘99s and later. I put on a Suzuki Vitara front skid plate shortly after I bought the car because I was having trouble finding a Chevy dealer that could order the Tracker plates other than as an expensive collection of separate parts. The Suzuki plate is a nice-looking sheet of smooth stainless that runs from under the front license plate back to a couple of short brackets they provide to mount the rear edge of the plate to the crossmember under the front of the engine. This will offer limited protection to popping the bottom of the radiator, maybe some protection to the air pump for the hub locks, and some for the steering. A few months ago I sent an e-mail to Mr. Goodwrench inquiring about a Chevy skid plate kit, and they told me to order part number 12497302. I did my Internet research and found the best deal on this kit at GMPartsDirect.com for about $185 (with shipping they are almost three times the $75 cost of the plates as a factory option!). The kit provided both Chevy skid plates. The front one is a full plate from the front crossmember to the one at the back of the engine. It uses the same mounting holes in the front crossmember as are used to mount the brackets to support the rear edge of the Suzuki skid plate. To keep both plates and provide protection from the license plate to the back of the engine, I took down the rear of the Suzuki plate temporarily, then mounted the front of the Chevy plate and the brackets for the Suzuki plate to the crossmember using the same bolts. I could then remount the Suzuki plate to the brackets. The second Chevy skid plate is a small one that just protects the transfer case.
    Good intentions not withstanding, the law of unanticipated consequences reared its head when I went to change engine oil. The front Chevy skid plate is right below the oil pan bolt, so if you don’t drop the skid plate first, collecting the outpouring oil gets very messy. The preferred solution is to drop the front skid plate first, but that is a pain with both the Chevy and Suzuki plates in place. I dropped the oil with the plates in place, cleaned up the bottom of the car the best I could, and parked where the residual oil drops wouldn’t make a mess for the next couple of weeks. The back Chevy plate has a hole in it for dropping the transfer case fluid, but I guess Mr. Goodwrench was on a lunch break when they designed the front plate.
    I have found the consumable parts (air filter, fuel filter, spare belts and hoses, etc.) are a challenge to find and more expensive than most. Nonetheless, other than one round with the synchros and finding/silencing a few squeaks/rattles in the interior, this has been a fun, trouble-free ride that provides great all-weather commuter transport.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Does anyone have info as to when the Tracker will be replaced with a newer design and car frame as opposed to the truck frame???
    i didn't know they were planning on a Re designed tracker. it was just redesigned 3 years ago...
    + in many ways the truck frame is a selling point for the tracker. If you are a "off-roader" you want a more rigid frame. i took a rav 4 off road once, and that car like frame flexed so bad.! suv's like the cr-v & rav 4 are very Great suv;s.. that is if you have NO intention of taking it Off road. they arent designed to be "mudd'n" and climbing over rocks.. my girl friend has a 2002 Cr-v and it is a master piece of engineering.!! truely impressive. 160HP and the transmission & awd system is like something NASA would create. but i wouldnt trust it Off-road. see she bought it because buying a suv is the "trendy" thing to do now. i bought my tracker because i want a SUV, for what it is.. a all purpose veichle. maybe i am wrong but to me a SUV means, all purpose all terrain veichle. if a person wants a car like ride, then buy a car. I do agree that the tracker rides rough, but i dont mind it. it's nice knowing you have a §trong frame under you. what's the use of 4x4 if you arent going to use it. a person might as well get a awd car. it would still go well in snow. and it would ride WAY better than any SUV would. that is just my 2 cents. "not a flaming"
    The reason I asked if there would be a change for the 2003 model year is the fact that I have a GM {5%} credit card that is accruing points more rapidly than I would like; so, I figured I would get another SUV type vehicle. I now own a 98 Kia Sportage EX and a 2001 Ford Escape XLT. I really like the Ford but the Kia is a little too rough riding for my taste {purchased same when they had the 1500.00 rebate} and have 25,000 miles on same and figured I would trade same when the new Tracker came out. GM card is no good for Saturn Division, or I would have probably looked at the new VUE.The new Trailblazer is a bit too large for my taste {and garage} and I thought, somewhere awhile back, that I had read that Suzuki was redesigning the Vitara for 2003, which would naturally mean a change for the clone Tracker.Looks like I was wrong; however, I appreciate your fast response.GM does not have a comparable product to match the Tribute,CRV,RAV ot Escape in that size rangeon a car frame.
    Due to the fact that I am handicapped, the entry and exit are a lot easier for me with an SUV.
    btw honestly, how has your kia been for you. i almost bought one because i liked the way that it looked. but i didnt get it for some reason. i think it was either consumer reports or something like that that turned me away from it. but anyways i have friends who own them . and from what i have seen it is a love it or hate relationship. so far my friends who have a sportage have had very bad luck with it.. 4x4 drive hubs going bad every 6-12 months. along with a very noisy engine. my friend has a 2000 sportage and it went in for inspection and FAILED !! they found a broken spring on the left rear.. and he doesnt even off road...
    also he had bearings go bad on it too. also he has this never ending Check engine like that the kia dealers can Not fix. the spring thing is a rare thing.. but the engine light & 4x4 drive problems seem to be common among my friends.. i was just wondering how yours has been running...
    My 98 Sportage EX is a 4x2 and was in the shop for a new catalytic convertor replacement {under a recall}. As far as relaiability, mine has been fine; however, I would never purchase another one, even with their new extended warranty.The fit and finish is lousy The ride {wind noise and roughness and lack of power} {especially after driving my V/6 Duratec Escape} is a TWO compared to a TEN.The only reason I purchased same was the price and when I go to trade it in I will lose the value anyway.
    who sales aftermarket brush guards? i went to www.rocky-road.com & www.preformanceproducts.com
    but had no luck there. i also wanted to ask if anyone knew where you can buy differential armor. i seen @ rocky-road.com where they sell armor for the transfer case & transmission but nothing for differentials.. thanx
    Try www.calmini.com
    this website has some killer aftermarket stuff BUT ONLY if your tracker is from 1998 and eariler. they basically have Nothing for "newer" trackers...
    Sure enough, a few days after I read zeke707 warning re tightening upper radiator hose, I noticed a slight leak and easily tightened the clamp (cami uses decent clamps, apologies for my comments earlier stating they are of poor quality). Both upper clamps needed tightening, lower hose clamps seemed fine.

comments on the Suzuki skid plate: Although it is made out of pretty thick aluminum, the fact that it is supported by 4 whimpy brackets hanging down from the frame makes this nice looking yet one hit and so much for the brackets. GM accessories skid plate bolts directly to the frame, much better design.
    A lady at work has a Sportage and it's been a nightmare for her. The thing rattles like it was 15 years old. It's only just over a year since she got it. Scary stuff!

Glad you had an ok experience tronsr1.

Tracker's seem best suited for off roading as they are really are good there. On the road, they aren't as refined, but they are reliable.
    Does contain items for the 1999/2000 Tracker/Suzuki such as front and rear guards. After clicking on Vitara, several items are displayed. In fact, pictures with their aftermarket stuff is displayed on a 1999 Suzuki 2 and 4dr.
    just a little small talk. but does anyone have any opinions on the trackers engine. i'm talking about the 2.0 Litre from 1999 till Now.. "chevy" tracker. the opinions that i am looking for would be, NOT really on power, but more so on reliability.. and if you want to throw in what you might think about the auto trany!! "fire away"
    We have a 2000 Suzuki 2dr 2.0 Liter automatic with 12k miles on it. I have been using Mobil 5w30 oil and Suzuki oil filters. The engine seems to be very good. It starts very easy, runs smooth and is quiet. The only issue I had going into this winter is antifreeze leaking from both ends of the upper radiator hose. Tightening the hose clamps solved that. I have noticed if you fill the windshield resovoir more than half full, it tends to splash out the fill cap as the vehicle is driven.

The automatic transmission also seems to be ok. I do notice when the vehicle is cold and when shifting to "drive", the engine rpm increases slightly and it takes about a second before you feel the transmission engaged. Once the car is warmed up, I can shift from forward to reverse and back with immediate engagement of all gears. I have tried to find out if the auto transmission has a filter (for when I change the fluid) but so far it appears the auto trans does not have a filter. I think I will have the fluid changed around 15k using a full fluid exchange service. In fact so far I think these vehicles are very good mechanically. The interior materials such as the plastic dash and seat covers could be better quality. Overall I am pleased with the suv. I also have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like to drive the Suzuki in town better than the Jeep.

You asked about the Tracker....as you probably know the Tracker and Suzuki are the same (at least the drive train and major body components...see www.cami.ca)