Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    What's the best synthetic for the auto transmission?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Just installed my Lund Interceptor bug shield {had to drill four holes} and put the Ventvisors on my new 2002 Silver 4x2 4dr.LT V6 Tracker Had the windows tinted today and it looks great. {I live in Florida}. I had to return the four mudflaps as they do not fit the contour ot the fender well even though they stated on the box that it would fit the 2002 Tracker.
    you really had to DRILL holes for you bug shield?
    weird. i didnt have to do that for mine.. that's makes me think. i wonder what kind i have. i'll have to take a trip outside real quick to see. you have me thinking now.. lol ok it is called a BugFlector II . my BF had the holes already made for it. btw how much do chevy mud flaps costs? i don't know because mine came with my tracker. I bought a USED tracker and the person(s) who owned it b4 me kinda had some options on it. it is a 1999 and has a few options like the 2.0 engine which BACK THEN was a option, because they came standard with the joke of a engine (1.6litre 97Hp) then it has some steel security thing behind the seat so that no one can break into my very little "trunk"
    btw it is a 2dr. then let me see it has the alum wheels, a/c & 4-speed auto transmission, NO cruise Control which bums me out cause i am a cruise control junkie. i already looked into having chevy install it. they said it would be $350. so i might wait on that one, because even though i love my cruise control, i really dont drive it on highways to justify the expense. I took off the tires it had on it. the last person who owned it put some nice Kelly tires on it. but they were all-season, and was good in the dirt but NOT in the mud. so i put some BFGOODRICH all-terrain AT's on it and i put the next size up 215/75/15. it really gives the tracker a mean look, along with killer traction. i had no idea how much of a difference tires could make. this will give you an idea. b4 when i took my track off-road, i had to put it in 4x4 to climb certain hills, i was actually able to climb the same hill at the same exact spot in 2 wheel drive! and areas where i WASNOT able to climb in 4x4 b4 i was able to climb right up it with no wheel spin or anything. it climbed it like it was on concret.
    The mud flaps were 29.95/set,however; as I had stated before...a lousy fit so I returned same for credit.They were the "formed type" and from what I can ascertain, the only type that would probably fit are the "flat, truck-like type". The V/6 LT 4dr.,4x2 has pre-formed type small guards built right into the lower cladding, so I am going to go with what is already there, as I do not do any off-roading,and they will probably suffice.
    As to the cruise control, I use it constantly. Just made a trip from Melboune Beach to Ormond Beach {Fla.}and back....220 miles roundtrip...most of which is on Rt.95, and used same constantly.
    Happy Motoring,
    TRON
    Can I add cruise control to a 2000 2.0 liter automatic (2dr)?
  • spideymike1spideymike1 Member Posts: 6
    I'm sure there are tons of you out there that have added fog lights. Any recommendations? I don't think I want the GM parts although in my mind I think "custom fit". I'm positive there are aftermarket ones that work well if not better, but where to start? I don't need anything heavy duty, off-road grills etc. Just a basic light...
    yeah you can have cruise control added to your tracker. go to your local chevy dealer & see what they charge. I got quoted a price of $350. but i havent done it just yet
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    Michael, if you are not interested in trying to make your Tracker look like a mini monster truck and are just interested in equipping it with some functional fog lights, look at the the small (2.7" x 2.8" x 4.0") Hella round projector lens fog lights. These will mount in the air scoops under and to the sides of the license plate (with some careful and preplanned drilling into the hard plastic) and offer little wind resistance. Because the beams are cleanly focused, these lights are easy to correctly aim. I bought mine at Schucks, and they are also available through J.C. Whitney.

In regards to your speakers, pay attention to the power of your receiver. Speakers tend to get blown by distortion more than by power. A weak receiver played loudly can distort sound, especially bass, and quickly ruin a set of good speakers. A high power receiver, or an add-on amplifier, will eliminate bass distortion and preserve speakers when operated at reasonable sound levels. I opted for the radio-delete option when I ordered my Tracker and ordered a compatible high power CD/receiver and speakers from Crutchfield.
    your speakers arent going to get blown by any stock head unit. their wattage is extremely low.
    so i would just go for a new set of speakers Instead of wasting $300-$400 on a NEW cd player only to still have the same exact problem. I had the same problem as you did, so i changed my speakers. "Problem Gone" without having to WASTE hundreds of dollars. the reason i say get new speakers even though the wattage is low on the stock head units, is because the speakers that come from Chevy are pretty much junk. mine were actually starting to "rott". and when the techs at bestbuy saw them. they laughed and said "i cant believe they are still trying to use them type of speakers".
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    'techs at bestbuy' ROTFLMAO
    you can pretty much mount any of the small thin fog lights in the "air scoop" area. as for wind resistance, i wouldn't worry about that. lol cause i dont think anyone is trying to break any Land §peed records in a Tracker.. lol lol i have mine mount in that mentioned area. and they look and function great.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    I drive a '01 Intrepid R/T, my darling wife drives a small '97 IMPORTED car. 'Nuf said there. She is thinking about a new small SUV and quite by chance we found a '01 2WD 4 Dr Tracker. It is a repo, looks perfect, with 8,400 miles on it. It is a base model I think since there are roll-up windows but does have a single CD player. Tires, interior, and body are like new, I guess the "owner" took care of it while he/she had it. Not sure what the dealer/GMAC wants for it yet, they haven't had this happen to this dealer and they are looking into it for us. Anyway, the KBB goes from 12,000 wholesale to 17,000 top retail. Is this a car worth our attention? Any recent problems? I don't care about any models other than the '01, any issues to worry about? Thanks
    I recently bought a 2001 2dr 4wd w/8800 miles on it. The only problems I've had with it soo far is the dimmer switch and as my other posts show, speakers. Other than that it's been great! I drive a good 50 miles a day back and forth to work so if I were to find something I think it would have presented itself by now. The only thing I would suggest is to consider cost. In my area, Northeast US, there seems to be a glut of used cars therefore the price was slightly lower. I paid approx 11k, and again, mine is slightly higher than base, having power options, etc.
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    Thanks for your input. Of course location helps determine price, here on Guam any kind of truck or SUV gets a fairly high price. Since this is a 2wd maybe they will come up with a better price. We'll wait and see what they are going to come up with. We don't need to buy this, but if the price is right we just may get it.
    I was wondering if anyone out there that has Chevy tracker "not geo"
    that has mid to high mileage has any good or bad stories to tell, i mean
    about repairs, chronic problems etc. the reason i ask is because
    consumer reports gave the Chevy tracker a very bad review, and i
    think they even put it on their cars to avoid list. I was just wondering
    if anyone out there that has some miles under their belt can shred some
    light on this subject
    I purchased my 2002 Cev.Tracker LT V/6 auto and so far, I have been averageing 24 mpg highway and 21 city...I live in Florida and almost constantly have the a/c on. I have been very satisfied with the noise level, brakeing (abs) and quality of same.
    Consumers Report {I subscribe to same} always seems to give certain makes a mid to poor rateing. If you will notice....almost all their "Recommended" models are Hondas and Toyotas
    all the time.
    If you will further notice...it is the 99 and 2000 year Tracker models with the worst rateing
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    Just did a 20k mile service on my '01 2.0; oil/filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, added dry gas, rotate tires, silicone spray axle boots (4wd), check drive line and belts (all ok). This is a very easy car to perform basic maintenance on, even the fuel filter, which although is awkwardly above the rear axle isn't too bad while on jack stands. I am still very pleased with this vehicle and hope that my meticulous maintenance will pay off in the long run.

re consumer reports: remember these folks like vehicles that are: #1 comfortable, #2 quiet, #3 good acceleration yet economical, #4 excellent repair history, #5 ergonomical controls. I think the Suzuki/Tracker fails in most of these tests, but, at least in my opinion, this does not make these cars a poor choice. I must agree with CR, though, regarding the '99 and early '00 models with manual transmission. As stated in previous posts, there was a major problem with these trannys.
  • leonardox28leonardox28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I am new on this group, and I am looking for information and help.
    I'm living in Brownsville Texas, I bought a Chevy Tracker 2002 on 2/14/02, yes my wife's valentine, and on 2/25/02 we called service because something wrong was happening, yeah it was the block after 10 days and less than 600 miles they had to replace the motor or block or what ever they call it because it was broken, something that came from the factory should have a warranty don't you think?

Lets say, If my TV was broken I could take it to Wal-Mart and they are going to take it back and replace it with a new one, that's for sure,they are not going to send it to service an repair it. If this people from Wal-Mart can do that with a cheaper item, I can not believe that my dealer (tipotex) could not change my vehicle. My dealer (tipotex) just wants to repair my tracker but I not agree.
    On 3/08/02 we picked it out of tipotex, my wife drove less than 1 mile and we took it back because it started to get acelleration by it self and in the stop light it attempted to turn off, we went with the manager he drove it and he said it was ok, on monday 3/11/02 we took it back to service because of the problem and the revolutions, they fixed and said it was the time or timming, on 3/14/02 we took it back because at 20MPH its going to 3000RPM, and at 50MPH it is going to 1500RPM, i do not know if it is ok, but let me tell you if im park holding the brakes and change gears it jumps and revolutions start to change, P=750RPM, R=400RPM, N=1000RPM, D=1200RPM, 2=250RPM, Its that normal?

Please let my know if you think that I am wrong in my demand, or if you know something that I can do to force them to replace my car, or even better if you know people with the same problem that I can contact.
    I will really appreciate your help!

Leo
    you will not get a new car if your engine blows out on you.. it is up to the dealer if he wants to be a nice guy or not. but it is NOT a standard practice to just habd over Another new car. as far as the timing goes. it sounds like they Didn't put the engine back together correctly. If i was you i would save every receipt. cause if it happens a few more times you could declair a lemon law. or at least report it to a district chevy manager "or whatever they call them people. it also sounds like your dealer is a joke. he has no real customer service. If i was you "as i said" i would contact chevy, talk to someone else other than that dealer. but that is just what i would do. it sounds like you are being taken for a ride. btw did they say what cuased the block to crack?
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    i've asked this before but haven't received a response. is anyone else having problems with a squeaking clutch? the dealer has replaced everything but it still squeaks-very annoying. now they want to try one more thing but i'll wait until the next oil change since i'm tired of taking it in.
    When does it squeak? As you depress pedal, when fully to the floor, when releasing the pedal? It is either in the pedal linkage, which should be obvious, or worse case the throw out bearing, all else is hydraulic. Still under warranty?
    yes, the clutch squeaks while both while depressing and when fully to the floor. yes it's still under warranty otherwise i would just live with it. the dealer said they replaced everything possible! then friday they were on the phone with chevrolet and they thought of another thing to try. i hope it works this time.
    This is probably obvious, but, without the engine running do you hear noise when depressing the clutch pedal? If so, it would seem to be in the pedal pivot point or spring or linkage before the clutch master cylinder. If not, which I suspect, it would seem to be the t/o bearing. There is also a fork which is actuated by the slave cylinder to move the t/o bearing, unlikely to be coming from there. Is it a chirpping sound and does it completely go away when pedal is released? It might be a difficult to find vibration sound. What have they replaced? I'm sure they have thought of all the areas I've mentioned. Good luck, keep us posted
    thanks woody for responding. yes it squeaks without engine running too. you've given me some great points to bring up with the dealer. i don't remember what they said they were going to try next but when i find out i will let you know. all i can remember that they replaced are the bushings. they've lubed everything and they said everything has been replaced too. we'll see.
    ok question for you guys that may know something about this engine. Ok, on the Chevy website it says that the 2.0 engines' lifters are hydraulic roller .. But in the repair manual i have for it, it shows it as being "shim under bucket" design. can anyone shed some light on this for me.?

ALSO, has anyone connected a towing hitch on their 2.0 litre tracker? if so 1) how does it look on there. & 2) how was it towing something. I was just thinking of towing something like a little Uhaul trailer. Kinda like one of them mini little guys. nothing crazy.. thanks
    I recently installed a 3" tube hitch from Calmini on my 2000 Vitara 2dr. Looks good and protects the rear quite well...have not towed anything yet.
    I recently had the fluid pumped/replaced in my 2000 Vitara with about 14k on it, mostly in town driving. The fluid was beginning to show some discolor ( not pure pink but still pretty clear on the dip stick). After the change, the trans shifts smoother from reverse to forward when cold. Wondering if it would probably a good idea to install a trans fluid cooler (radiator), especially if the vehicle is used for light towing.
    isn't there ALREADY one on it? i saw lines running under my radiator that ran to my transmission.? would that be some sorta cooler?
    I believe an auto trans cooler radiator would sit either by the side of the engine radiator or in front of the radiator. On my vehicle, the air conditioner condensor sits in front. I have not looked under the vehicle to see where any auto transmission lines run.
    I believe the 2.0 has hydraulic lifters therefore needing no valve lash adjustment while the 1.6 is mechanical and does need periodic adjustment
    i just changed my oil and i decided to try that Amsoil (0w30) weight Synthetic oil. and wow my 2.0litre tracker seems like it starts from a cold start alot smoother. and it seems as if the idle drops quicker too. But one of the funny things i noticed was, when i was pouring the oil into the engine i noticed it flows like Water. in the past i would put 5w30 weight in and let the container of oil sit there so that it would slowly ALL drain out of the container. but with this 0w30 it only took a few seconds and all of it was out and there was none dripping from the bottle. a friend of mine was over working on his car at the time. and i called him over and said "go ahead pour that qt of oil in" and he was shocked just as i was.

if anyone is interested in see what i am talking about then take a look here..

http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html

i got my 2 door tracker in Nov 2001 and i never had a chance to put Down the soft top until today. But i was so worried about it for the longest time. cause all i kept on hearing about and reading was how hard it was to take down and put back up . So in my mind i thought this was going to be a pain. But to my surprise it was Jokingly easy! and to put it back up was no task either. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.? Unless the people who had a hard time doing so , was the type of people that had a hard time in first grade putting the square block in the square hole and the round block in the round hole.. lol
    "sorry" i had to say that...
    It's so funny to read this. I got my 2001 tracker this past Jan and all I heard from others was how hard it was to manage the roof when taking on/off. It made me start to think that either this is the toughest soft top ever or these people are potentially brain dead. Well after the 10 - 15 minutes it took me to take off and put back on the roof, my questions were answered! and it's not the toughest soft top!

I do wish however that the front part of the roof, I wish that would either come off or retract farther back...
    it does come off. i didnt take mine off yet. but if you look closely there are snaps just like the one on the rear part of the softtop.. i know it comes off because i seen picture of Hard top in it;s place. give it a close look. i think this week, i will take ALL the soft tops off
    arkainzeye,
    As I look closely to the roof over the front seats it looks to me that you would need to unscrew the top from the arm that is connected to the frame of the roof. I think that is the only way you can put a hard top in it's place.
    Does anyone know if there are GM mudflaps for the 2002 LT Tracker 4door (4x2}. I went to the Chev. dealership and the book shows flat type which do not fit the contours of the rear wheel well. I then went to SuzukiAuto.com, checked out accessories for the Grand Vitara and Vitara and it shows mudguards, however; they have the "S" on them.
    I also tried local auto part stores {Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc.}...but found none to fit the contour of the LT.
    Anyone?????
    Tron
    I put mud guards on the front wheel wells of my '99 4x4 soon after purchase, but did not even try to find any for the rear wheel wells because I could not see any reason to do so. There is no unprotected body panel behind the rear wheel well to protect. Maybe that is why Chevy does not make any to fit. Suzuki probably puts an "S" on theirs because all they are good for is advertising.
  • shiltonshilton Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 GM Tracker in Oct of 99 and I have had 7 brake jobs done on the front and 2 on the back. I don't even get 8,000 kilometers on a set of brakes. I have taken it back to the dealer each time and they have put on the GM parts. I was just wondering if any one else has had this problem.
    Just received my "molded" 10 piece English Burl wooddash kit from autodash.com to install on my 2002 Silver LT V6 4x2. Received same after ordering via UPS in approx. ten days. I recently installed a kit on my other vehicle and it looks great.
    After checking all the wooddash web sites, I found that this site is the only one that offered the full "molded type" kit for the Chevrloet Tracker and Grand Vitara. A great website to boot.Full price was 207.00 which included the shipping.
    I do not work for this company, but do recommend their product if you are interested in a wooddash kit. They are located in Portland,Oregon and the kit is manufacured in Canada. They also have an 800 number.
    TRON
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    Have had a Suzuki Vitara (trackers brother) for a month now.
    I can report no problems (unlike my 2000 Dak), it runs well, but is a tad weak on pep.
    I am avg 26.5 MPG in all around driving.
    No tranny troubles.

Long live the hamster!
    I installed a 3" tubular rear bumper from Calmini on our 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2 dr. Looks good and already protected the plastic molding from some parallel parking dork! The Calmini unit is powdercoated black and equipped to take a ball hitch.
  • cxvargascxvargas Member Posts: 30
    I just replaced my OEM tires on my '98 Tracker. To my surprise my dealer told me that all four rims were bad. With 47,000 miles on it I was in shock. The OEM tires weren't really bad but I replaced them anyway because of a vibration coming from the front passenger side. Since the warranty already expired the dealer only offered to sell me some new rims. Well, I replaced my OEM steel rims with refurbished alloy rims and new General Tires. The problem now is that the vibration is still there but I feel that it moved to the rear of my vehicle. I was told that one of my new tires could be defective. I would like to know if any of you have experience something similar. Let me know.
    well i have a 99 tracker 2-door, and i have Not had any vibrations at all.. and i even have off-road tires on it. i would take that rear wheel ," the one you said vibrates" and move it up front. and then see if the vibration moves with it. then you will have a better understanding of what is going on here.. that's just something i'd do. just so that i wouldn't have to shell out any more Ca$h for labor charges
    Welcome to the world of Mr. Goodwrench. I hope the dealer's service manager at least smiled when he did that to you. FOUR damaged STEEL RIMS? How in the world did YOU survive the full-throttle trip down Everest? Do you have any other explanation as to how you could have damaged all four steel rims?
    yeah, i know how you damaged ALL 4 wheels..
    they were defective.!! i take my tracker places that maybe i shouldn't. basically i bought it as a fun Off-Road toy. And i have never had any problems with the rims. and i crawl over big rocks and pound through terrain as if i was trying to damage something. and my tracker and been perfect through it all. No problems.
    now i do have the aluminium wheels, but still. Don't let them take advantage of you. Toyota did that to my 65 year old mother. she had a electrical problem with her van. and all it was , was a loose connector on a sensor. and they told her she needed a NEW battery, starter etc etc , they basically charged her $980 for a loose connector. and the problems wasn't fix, so we took the van to a little foreign salvage yard garage. And he fixed it in 15 minutes. and charged us $25. Now i'm not saying that your rims ARENT bent. but if they are i doubt it is your fault. and if you do choose to buy new ones. you are buy way way way nicer looking rims AFTERMARKET then chevy could offer you and for probably about 1/4-1/2 the cost of factory too !!! and in most cases look more attractive and bored steel wheels.
    I know i asked this b4, but does anyone know of any websites were you can buy accessories for the 1999 and Newer. NOT the GEO tracker (1998 & older) but the Chevy Tracker.? i seen many websites selling some really interesting items. But they all seem to be for the Geo tracker.... thanks
    Try www.calmini.com. Click on Suzuki, then Vitara to bring up 1999 and NEWER Tracker and Vitara equipment.
    Follow up to my post #544. Installed same and it looks and fits great. Took me about an hour to install the tenpiece kit.
    TRON
    does anyone out there know of Exhaust systems made for the Chevy tracker 2.0 ? i'm talking like a HI-flow exhaust to increase power. I even wouldn't mind looking into a Turbo charger, if anyone knows of a place would might have one for my tracker. thanks