Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    My wife drives a 99 Tracker 4x4 2.0L; I just hate using it. I much prefer my 01 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L 240HP. If you're willing to spend $$$ on a hi flo exhaust, my feeling is you should have sprung for a more powerful truck at point of purchase. I have learned to accept the Tracker for what it is ... a gas efficient small 4x4, nothing more!
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    While checking under the hood of our 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2.0L with A/C, I was looking at the A/C condenser (small "radiator" in front of the engine radiator). Looking behind the electric fan blades, I noticed the fins in most of the area behind the fan were bent and in some cases completely closing any path for air to flow thru. Now the engine temp stays in the same range as always, the A/C cools as well as it always has, there is no damage to the front of the vehicle, the fan blade is not touching the condenser. I noticed the fins on the condenser are VERY fragile and just touching them can cause a bend in the fins. Take a careful look at your A/C condenser radiator behind the electric fan which sets in front of it...what do you see? You will probably need a shop light to examine closely...a casual look my not reveal anything. I also assume the 99 thru 02 Checy Tracker would have the same A/C set up (?)
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    Dave, I agree with you that the Tracker is just a gas efficient small 4X4. And, it is a darn good one at that when you compare it to other small real 4X4's and not to the car-based AWD small station wagons. However, in Chris' defense, adding a hi-flow exhaust would give him a better performing Tracker at half the cost of your Nissan, and it still would get at least 50% better gas mileage than your rig. Adding a turbo would still make it less expensive than the Nissan, and it still would get better gas mileage. Go enjoy your Nissan and the things you like about it. (By the way, have you ever checked out all the performance add-ons offered on the market for the Pathfinder? Must be some Nissan owners out there wanting more, too.) We like our Trackers, and there is nothing wrong with improving a good thing.
  • swarthog1swarthog1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a problem with their 2.0 liter burning oil? I have 2000 4cyl, manual trans, 4x4, that I have been very pleased with. It is burning oil at 1 qt. per 2k miles. This IS within GM's acceptable consumption rate, even for a vehicle with only 23k miles. If this is a rare problem, I might have a case for GM to fix it. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    and granted, its fairly new however I am not experiencing excessive oil usage.

I might say you could try switching to a different brand of oil and see what happens. Bear in mind our hamsters run pretty fast at highway speeds and this works the oil pretty hard. Shearing is an issue at high RPM and if the oil you are using is not up to snuff, then it might not be holding is molecular stability at high rpm.
    Give it a shot and let us know what happens.
    I have about 49,000 mile on my "99 4X4 now, and I have recognized a pattern in the oil consumption. I have used the recommended 5-30 weight since I purchased the vehicle new in April '99. In normal use, i.e. city and secondary highway driving with occasional short (less than 50-mile trips) freeway driving and occasional "primitive" road exploring, the Tracker burns NO oil between 3,000 mile oil changes. When I drive at freeway speeds (70-80 mph) for about half or more of the miles between oil changes, it will burn off about a quart in 3,000 miles. I consider that normal.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    swarthog1: My '01 2.0 4X manual with 25K goes through 1/2 to 1 qt between 5K mile oil changes. This I consider acceptable. 1 qt per 2K miles seems excessive. Make sure you aren't leaking somewhere, also I've heard a bad PCV valve can suck oil out.

zeke707: I checked my A/C condensor and all looks good, no bent fins, you can see through to the radiator in all areas. Can't imagine what caused yours to bend.
    For those who own the 1999 to present Tracker/Vitara with a 2.0L engine and air conditioning, please read the recent posts on the Suzuki Owners Club here concerning A/C condenser damage. Do you have similar damage? Could this be a design problem?
  • schweikbschweikb Member Posts: 111
    I have a 2000 Tracker 4 door which I am looking to sell to replace with a 2-dr, but want a hardtop and a base emodel with auto. My handicapped dad cannot fit through the narrow front door of the 4-dr, but can in the 2-dr. I cannot find anything on Edmunds or elsewhwere showing a hardtop version of the 2-dr can be orderd. Anyone know for sure.
    Thanks
    with a soft top. YOu will need to go aftermarket to buy the hard top.
    You might also consider the Suzuki Vitara, which is nearly the same vehicle (built on the same line in Ontario) as the Tracker.
    Chuck, I have a '99 Tracker and have never had a problem with the A/C. However, after reading your posts, I inspected my condenser and found exactly what you described. It is difficult to see without holding a light at the right angle, but there is a definite circular pattern of bent fins. I plan to pull the fan shroud off on the 4th of July to get a better look. My guess is that the fan blades rub the condenser fins when the fan is free-spinning at freeway speeds. That is when the blades may be bent back toward the condenser. When the fan is powered on, the blades should bend forward like the props on an airplane. This looks like it may become a recall issue if it can be demonstrated that any damage may be safety or pollution related. I suggest all you Tracker, Vitara, GV, and GV XL-7 owners take real close looks at your A/C condensers
    Let me know what you find when you pull the fan shroud.

Thanks
    Check the Suzuki owners club page on this web site as more people are reporting bent fins on the A/C condenser. Check your condenser..this is beginning to look like a design problem. After closely looking into the front grille of your vehicle for the condenser area behind the electric fan blades, what do you see? Are the fins in the area bent?
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    if you want to look at tracker hardtops go to this site

http://www.cartops.com/2piece-hardtops.html

• infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    finally got the squeaking clutch fixed after 5 attempts. it was the clutch assembly on back of the firewall. dealer said it was a missing a bolt that holds the assembly in place. took it back again for a squeak in the suspension. it had a bad bushing in front. i will check for bent fins tonight. otherwise still love the truck.
    i had that a few months ago. it would only make noises when i would go over speed bumps. so i jacked it up and sprayed some amsoil lube at all the contact points. and it hasn't made a noise since. 8)
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    arkainzeye, i'm going to try what you did because it still happens after the bushing was replaced. and i didn't see the bent fins some people are talking about.
  • rettamanrettaman Member Posts: 2
    Hello! (First of all, this is my first post to this list...)

I am in the process of searching for a Chevy Tracker--1999 or newer--the purchase will be anytime from 9 months to two years from now. The car I currently own (and will eventually sell) is a 1996 Chevy Beretta Base Coupe with 113,000 miles, 3100 V6, four-speed auto transmission. (Obviously, the mileage will be higher in the future.)

I have been reading several reviews about the Tracker and am interested in buying one once I save up more money for a decent down payment. (I have especially liked the Tracker since the redesign in 1999. It is relatively inexpensive when compared to other makes/models.)

However, one of the concerns I have about the Tracker is the amount of "road noise" and "lack" of power. I am used to the Beretta's power and handling. So, I guess I will have to adjust when I purchase a Chevy Tracker. This also will be the first SUV/truck I've ever owned.

Any advice or insight? Thanks.

GEJ in the Carolinas <><
    don't expect the power to be even close to the beretta's even if you got the v-6 version. i have heard from v-6 owners that it is disappointing for a 6 banger. ONLY like 30 some horse difference from the inline 4. i noticed road noise is mostly dependant on your tires you have on it. for instance i use BFGoodRich ALL-TERRAIN tires. they are GREAT for going anywhere, but they are noisy. i personally don't care about road noise. hell i have a 2-door soft-top so road noise is something you get used too. as for power, my 4 cylinder goes anywhere, and i live in western PA, which is ALL hills and mountains. now it wont will any races, but it climbs them hills easily doing 60+ mph.
  • rettamanrettaman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks...I appreciate your reply and I do think it would be good to have a TRUE frame SUV...sometime. The Beretta is nice (and I don't want to part with it yet), but it can't go where some of the SUV's can. It would be good to go to the beach or snow and not worry about getting stuck.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that since 1977 my dad has had a 1969 International Scout 800A 4X4 with the 3.1 L (196 CI) slant-four engine with only 85,000 original miles and three-speed transmission. It has the travel top and can be noisy too. (And, from a distance, it remotely favors the Tracker.)

GEJ <><
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard!

Incidentally, if people said everything there was to say in their first post, we wouldn't have the pleasure of reading their subsequent posts! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I have checked all the GM service bulletins for the '99 Tracker, and no mention is made of this problem. Since only three people, including myself, have reported experiencing this problem on 1999 and 2000 Trackers/Vitaras, I assume that the problem is not epidemic. I am asking that those who have noticed this problem post where they live and their typical driving conditions. I also ask that those who have inspected their A/C condensers and found no doughnut-shaped pattern of bent fins behind the fan report where they live and their driving conditions. Maybe we can figure this problem out.

I live in Washington state, and my usual driving conditions are city driving mixed with some secondary highway driving, freeway driving, and a little "primitive road" driving. I drive in conditions from 105 degrees to -10 degrees, including 2-3 trips each winter over mountain passes in blizzard conditions.

Since the Tracker is the first vehicle I have owned with the cooling fan IN FRONT of the A/C condenser and radiator, I am wondering if the fin damage is due to the fan coming on when there is ice and/or snow build up on the condenser during highway driving in blizzards or freezing rain.
    I don't have bent fins on my 1999 2-door tracker.
    I live in western PA. "near pittsburgh"

and my driving habits are ALOT of off rpading!
    along with most HIGHWAY driving.
    IF anyone is looking for GrillGuards or other tracker toys, then take a look at this site.

http://www.auto-extra.com/grill_guard.htm

they also have them in Chrome, unlike most other companies that offer accessories for our trackers only in black.

or just try http://www.auto-extra.com

then click on grill guards

• tishpittishpit Member Posts: 1
    Hello... have a question about a '93 Geo Tracker. Is it possible/feasible to add power steering to this vehicle? I was thinking of taking a ps unit from a junk car and putting it in the '93 as the steering is a bit too heavy for me (shoulder injury). How big of a job would this be? Is it best just to look around for a used Tracker that already has ps? Seems tough to find one without 4WD, which in my area, is also rare. Thanks!
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Just saw the new Tracker based on the SaturnVUE frame which will be called the Equinox.{page #4 of the July 22nd edition}.."Due on the market next year as a 2004 model, Equinox will be just the second GM small sport utility vehicle to ride on the Theta "front wheel drive /all wheel drive platform that debuted last fall with the Saturn Vue.It will make its debut in January at the North American Auto show in Detroit.It is also likely to have the same plastic door panels as the Vue.
    Sounds interesting, especially the front wheel drive part. It did not list any dimensions, such as length, width, cargo capacity, etc.Althogh it did say that it will target such competitors as the CRV, Subaru Forester, Ford Escape, Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Liberty....so I have to assume it will be larger than the 2002 Tracker. The picture that is shown is from Jim Dunne of Popular Mechanics magazine...so maybe there is an article in that issue???
    remove the front bumper from a 2000 Vitara? I'm assuming the fastners are in the same place as a Tracker. Looks like 4 plastic bullet fastners at the top of the grille, this comes off to allow pulling of the plastic bumper after 4 screws at the bottom of the bumper and 2 plastic fastners in the front wheel wells. Any info?
  • wickiweewickiwee Member Posts: 1
    I posted once before but it's not showing up. Sorry if this gets on here twice.

I've got a 2000 Tracker 4-door 4X2 with a 5-speed transmission. I've had the synchronizer replaced for grinding from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd during cold weather. I'm waiting for winter to come to see if this is fixed. My clutch creaked and it took two tries to fix that. There are many chirping noises when going over bumps but the dealer has not located or fixed them. The pulley tensioner was replaced for a chirping sound that only happened on cold start when it is raining or has just rained (very humid conditions). That was just done today so I don't know if that is corrected.

My main concern is with oil consumption. I bought my Tracker in May of 2001 with 20,000 miles. It was sold as used even though it had never been titled. I took it to the dealer for a free oil change before I had driven 3,000 miles. Just before the next oil change was due I noticed the engine was ticking. The oil was more than two quarts low. My husband changed the oil and we thought maybe it was a fluke, that it wasn't completely filled from the last oil change. Again before the next oil change was due the engine started ticking. Again, the oil was two quarts low. I took it to the dealer who did an oil change and told me to bring it back when the level had dropped by a quart. I took it in today because we are leaving on vacation and wanted to have them document the level. It was a half quart low after only 1,300 miles since the previous oil change. They added a half quart and told me that was an acceptable amount of consumption, that there was not a problem. They just told me to keep checking it.

I've worked as a service consultant at a Lexus dealership and a Lincoln/Mercury dealership for a total of 15 years. During that time I never saw a vehicle that new and that was maintained regularly use that much oil unless there was some kind of a problem. I've never owned a vehicle that has used oil like this. Am I wrong in thinking that this is not an acceptable amount of oil consumption?

I'm about 4,000 miles from the end of the warranty and am worried that this will turn in to a problem down the road. I plan on having the dealer continue to check, document and change my oil from now on.

Does anyone else have this problem? I'd appreciate any feedback. I really love the looks and the ride of this Tracker but I'm afraid I'll have to get rid of it if I can't get this corrected.
    valve.
    First thing I would do is replace it since its a cheap easy fix. Then check every part of the motor and see if there are leaks anywhere.

The fact that this is a used vehicle but never titled is interesting to say the least.

Finally, I would have the dealer put it in writing this is "normal" I have to agree with you in saying its not. But should you have problems later, you can use this as leverage for repair work. It probably would be a good idea to discuss this with Chevrolet cus service and make sure its documented on their end.
    I have a 2002 vitara (basically same vehicle) it it burns no oil at all.
    On previous posts, I commented on condenser damage to a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2.0 litre with A/C. Another (1999 Tracker) poster had a similar experience. For an update, please review the Suzuki Owners Club section on this website, under problems.
  • mathias76mathias76 Member Posts: 1
    First off I am re-posting my former statement about Tracker and my website link.

NOTE TO STEVE: I have removed the one profane word from my site and link, everything else is clean and the truth, so please do not delete this again. I am trying to muster up help or advice in this situation, ok?

Here is my link to my problem with GM http://mattyrealm.tripod.com/gmsucks/

Now to answer the questions about problems with the Tracker from an earlier post on this page. The ticking noise is probably either something minor in the engine, valve lift adjustors, or even simpler, a loose sparkplug(s). I change out the spark plugs on my 99 and found that a couple of them were very loose, causing the ticking noise.

The pulley thing unfortunately does not go away, believe me I have replaced the pulley a couple of times to no avail and I live here in the North where it gets cold and that sound happens when I start the engine.

The transmission thing is a classic problem with the 99 and 00 models, even without that problem it is a slush box and really sucks. Though I had thought only people with 4X4's were having that problem.

Read my site to find out about all the problems I have had with my vehicle and why GM is a very bad, unethical company.

Also, you force them to give you an extended GMPP warranty on your rig, because the transmission problem is hard to fix and you do not want the 4000 dollar cost of putting in a new transmission.

Good luck and email me if I can be of more assitance.

MT

• npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    For those of you that are interested, it looks like the Tracker will be replaced by 2005.

http://www.auto.com/industry/gm14_20020814.htm

Any comments or suggestions regarding the various hard tops available for 2dr Tracker/Vitara? How is fit and finish, ease of installation, sound deadening qualities, price, etc.
    Please read my post #580
    Hi Y'all ...

My wife's 1999 Tracker 4x4 with auto tranny and approx 40,000 miles on the odometer just had the "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" message show on her dash. It has been a couple of days now and will not go away.

Have any of you experienced this? What was the root cause?

Thnaks in advance.
    Seriously.
    THe EPA allows a very narrow window of emission operations. ANything from a misfiring plug to a lazy o2 sensor to a loose gas cap can cause this.
    Basically, the computer has logged a trouble code in its memory and you'll need a scanner to read it out and thereby be able to diagnos what is wrong.
    ... including a money grab for Generous Motors :.(
    An check engine light is usually an Emissions item. Try these few things b4 you go to the shop.
    1) make sure your gas cap is on Tight.
    2) check to see OR just replace the PVC valve ($1.99).
    3) put a "good" fuel Injector cleaner in your gas tank on fill-up.

my old co-worker had a 1994 ranger and it ALWAYS had it;s engine light on. it has been on for years. So i told him to let me take quick look at it. well i noticed that his PVC valve was clogged. "you can tell that by shaking it" it should rattle. so we changed it for around $2-$3.
    And wouldn't you know, the check engine light went OFF. And hasn't been back on. He never had it checked out for fear that it was something BIG and costly.. and all this time it was something so small.
    That sounds interesting. but for me the Whole reason why i bought the chevy tracker vs. honda, toyota etc etc, was because of it being built o a Truck frame and with it having a "TRUE" 4x4 system. Now if my 1999 chevy tracker was built like the way they want to build this Equinox, then i wouldn't buy it. I would be forced to go with a over priced, under optioned Jeep. Now i have nothing against jeep, other than their Lack of options or how they come standard with practically Nothing. Jeeps are great for off road. But my tracker goes just about anywhere. Today i followed my friends in my tracker, and they were riding ATV's and they kept laughing and saying. I can't believe where that little thing goes! Mine is a 4x4-2door so that Small wheel base helps out ALOT! but when i'm not crawling over rocks or splashing thur mud, i enjoy the Trackers feature, (a/c, 4 speed auto trany etc etc.) So i guess when it's time to get something else, i may be a Jeep person. To me a SUV is NOT a car with big tires. When i think SUV, i think all-terrain, multi-purpose vehicle. And that is what our trackers are now. Truck frame , "true 4x4.
    to a petition you can sign and send to Suzuki to convince them to keep making full framed Vitaras(same as tracker)
    Sorry for the dumb question but what's a PVC valve, what's its function in life and where do I find it?
    PCV Valve
    The process of combustion forms several gases and vapors; many of them quite corrosive. Some of these gases get past the piston rings and into the crankcase. If left in the crankcase, these substances would cause all kinds of bad things (rust, corrosion, and formation of sludge), so they have to be removed. Back in the old days, they used to be dumped out into the atmosphere through a tube. Once we realized what a problem pollution was in the sixties, the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system was developed to take the place of the old "dump tube." The PCV system uses a hose connected between the engine and the intake manifold to draw these gases out of the engine's crankcase and back into the cylinders to burn with the regular fuel. The only problem to solve is how to keep these gases from going willy-nilly into the manifold and upsetting the required air-fuel ratio. The solution to this problem is the PCV valve. The PCV valve controls the release of crankcase gases and vapors to the intake manifold. The valve is kept closed by spring action when the engine is at rest. When the engine is running normally, the low vacuum it creates allows the valve to open and release crankcase vapors and gases into the intake manifold for burning. If the engine is idling or you are slowing down, the vacuum level rises and pulls the valve plunger into the valve opening. This partially blocks off the opening so that only a small amount of vapors and gases can be drawn into the intake manifold. One really comforting feature of the PCV valve is its behavior in the event of a backfire. If your car backfires in the manifold, the pressure makes the spring close the valve completely. With the valve closed, there is no chance that the flame can move into the crankcase and cause an explosion.

Now i am not sure if your trackers owners manual will have a picture of a pcv valve or not. but the best thing i can say at this point would be. It is on the valve cover. and towards the rear of the engine. If you still aren;t sure go to your local autoparts store and they probably would be happy to show you where yours is..
    Dave, Chris just gave you the best description of the history and function of the PCV valve that you will find anywhere. If you are still interested in knowing more about a PVC valve however, ask the clerk in the plumbing section of your local hardware store. (See your post #592, Chris.) When you drive a Tracker, you have to have a sense of humor. Thanks, guys.
    Lol i knew someone would comment on that. 8)
  • cxvargascxvargas Member Posts: 30
    I would like to know from where I can get the part number for the 2001 Tracker LT rims and center caps? Thanks
    Why not stop at a Chevrolet dealer, go to the parts department, and ask them???????
  • cxvargascxvargas Member Posts: 30
    ...they ordered the incorrect caps and told me to get the part number from my new rims. I guess they don't know how to perform their job. Guess what??? I'm not buying a GM product ever again. If you find that part number let me know.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Nice, but looks like it won't be a replacement afterall. Too bad it took them so damd long.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/stories/020904sp.html
  • auntieauntie Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 Chevy Tracker. Immediately I noticed that when it rained I get water leaking around the door. The water collects on the plastic cover of the rocker panels and then drips onto the carpeting. This happens on all four doors. The dealer replaced all the weather stripping but to no avail. Water is still coming in the door and onto the rocker panel. Is anyone else having this problem? The dealer admitted to me that they tested several other vehicles on the lot for the water problem and found the same thing happen.
    auntie,
    I have had a 2002 Tracker 4dr LT for about 7 months and have gone thru a car wash on a weekly basis since inception. {I live in Florida} and it rains cats and dogs down here all summer long and never had one leak.
    I doubt very much if your dealer "tested" the other Trackersand they "all"leaked.If the weather stripping replacement did not solve the problem, perhaps the doors are misaligned? This is "not" a normal problem and I suggest you call the dealer again, complain, and if not corrected, call the district mgr., or whoever.No car should leak at all four doors....not even a Kia or YUGO. {Well, maybe the YUGO}.
    I check the Suzuki club and follow all the Tracker posts and have not seen one complaint about all four doors leaking, let alone one door leaking.