Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited October 2012

Ford is near the bottom which is amazing to see. I don't thinnk they have ever ranked that far down. It's supposedly related to the MFT system but there are some problems with the trannys and EcoBoost engines as well...

Absolutely amazed by the improvements over at Audi as well. Where is Andres3? His A3 may not be an anomoly after all. :shades:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Jags consistently suck, LOL.

Note the wide spreads from Nissan, Mini, BMW and Ford.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    That's the best chart I've seen of this data. Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2012
    Now explain this disconnect please, where Toyota is "just" number two:

Ford is top brand (autonews.com)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,165
    I like how variants of the same car can be best and worst (E sedan and cabrio, G sedan and cabrio). Also that engine size seems to be an issue - I wonder if a "problem" is people complaining about mileage...
    People might like MyFord touch even though they have a lot to complain about.

Ford took risks, and I don't think they should be scolded for doing so. It's growing pains. They're the first to go mainstream with this type of interface. People are slow to learn and want buttons and knobs, but they'll get used to it eventually and Ford's numbers will creep back up.

Also, a revision came out this year and I bet not everyone has it yet.
    Cabrio is a big change - you can get lots of body creaks and rattles, wind noise. Much harder to execute than a coupe.

Buffy's complaining about her hair being messed up. :D

Also, the spread is not all that wide for Mercedes. They actually got most cars near average.
    I guess I would need to see the "problems". I'm also kind of surprised each model had enough volume to appear, as both are less than big sellers.

The MB average thing amused me too - right in the middle, and a small range. For a complex German car on a sometimes iffy ranking systrem, "average" is pretty good.
    IIRC they look for sample sizes of 1000 of more.

They must have talked to every single G37c owner! LOL

Benz did well indeed. In the past they've had some truly awful scores for their trucks. I think the ML was worst in the survey at one point.
    I wouldn't be surprised if G cabrio sales were indeed about that low.

I was expecting to see the ML as the worst. Maybe it was second. Oh well, at least the E ranks high, as it is such a volume seller, that bodes well.
    ML had been improving steadily. Wonder if more diesels in the mix also boosted scores?
    Couldn't hurt - I don't understand who buys any MB SUV in gas form. Or maybe after 15 years of production, they are finally getting it right.
    Funny to see the divas pumping diesel in Potomac and slipping around. The gas stations at Westfield Shoppingtown Montgomery offers full service at no cost to address that issue.
    In Europe/Germany, many stations provide gloves for diesel. Maybe that will become common if diesel catches on in NA. I can't imagine princess messing up her precious hands with that smelly fuel, indeed.
    edited November 2012
    I saw that at some Boise stations a few years back. Lasted about a month. Could be some behind the counters if you ask but I doubt it.

Wait until it gets on their heels. Hubby will have to switch cars.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    edited November 2012
    Heck, the gas station for the Giant supermarket in Willow Grove, PA provides disposable gloves at all the pumps, gasoline or diesel.
    edited November 2012
    25 Million and Counting

About 70 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the U.S. are built in North America, and the company directly employs 37,000 people on this continent.

Even the most ignorant, "Buy Murican", anti-import types should see this as a positive. :shades:
    Honda just had a similar milestone with Accord production in Marysville, Ohio.
    Sandy took a hit and hurt the last few days of the month, but October is the slowest month of the year anyway, so no better time to absorb that hit.

Toyota gained a bit of share, up 16%, market was only up 7%. GM up 5%, Chrysler up 10%, Ford was flat.

Toyota reported that 4000 cars were flood damaged, and 15 dealerships also had damage.

Smart was up 200%, so I think they sold 3 cars this October vs. just one car last October. ;)

Lexus was up 10%, BMW up 21%, M-B up 6%, Audi up 15%. Hmm, I'd read the lux market would take a bigger hit but it seems like nobody told them about that.

Source: AN sales report e-mail broadcast.
    "Toyota's quarterly profit tripled, driven by a recovery from natural disasters, and the company raised its full-year earnings forecast Monday despite a sales slump in China."

Toyota quarterly profit triples, raises forecast (Detroit News)
    edited November 2012
    Not to mention, the luxury brands are hurting in Europe and trying to sell as many cars in North America as they can, in addition to trying to capture the sales crown. Good time to buy, even more so next month I bet.
    I read in AN (IIRC) that up to 20% of their new car sales are program cars not sold at retail, but at substantial discounts.

There may not be profits for the next couple of years or so...
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    I have a really hard time to take this lightly and laugh on this. As well as looking at Toyota itself equipping its cars with almost full-blown Internet access. If there is any "overreaching" or "overbearing" government left at all, whatever, it must absolutely criminalize such exercises, at least until self-driving cars are mandated. Are we going to produce also RPGs and AK-47s featuring an iPad slot, and to put them in the hands of anyone?
    Well, they do have GPS capability built-in. :D
  • victor23victor23 Member Posts: 201
    Well, they do have GPS capability built-in.

RPGs? That was a good one. Add also the night vision.
    One catch: Apple's maps may have you diving off Hoover Dam. :D
    http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/11/06/lexus-trademarks-rc-350-for-upcoming-coupe- /

RC350 should be the I coupe, basically.

They also registered NX200t and NX300h, probably a small egg-shaped crossover built for the express purpose of annoying fintail. :D
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/12/toyota-planning-supra-mr2-successors-within-f- ive-years/

If so we could see a new Supra and a new MR2.

Wouldn't really care for a Supra with a 3.5l V6 + hybrid powertrain, it would be too heavy and too complex. Not to mention expensive.

I'm more interested in the MR2 successor. Especially if it's the less costly sibling to the FR-S.

Just one thing - no SMG! That's the 2nd worst transmission ever. #1 is the Smart.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    edited November 2012
    Recall

Link about a new recall, 2.8 million worldwide for Prius and some Corolla.

Thought I'd post for the Toyota hate club! I hope if they post about this that they also comment about post # 15944 from 10/31/12. ;)
    edited November 2012
    You want to recall Consumer Reports?

:D

In other news, Toyota Motor Corp. agreed to pay $25.5 million to settle claims from shareholders who said they were harmed by the Japanese automaker's recall for unintended acceleration of millions of vehicles in 2009-10.

Toyota agreed in 2010 to pay nearly $50 million in fines to the U.S. government for failing to recall millions of vehicles in a timely fashion in three separate recall campaigns.

The proposed settlement to shareholders is a fraction of Toyota's worldwide profits. Last week, Toyota reported quarterly profits of $3.2 billion."

Toyota to pay $25.5 million to settle shareholder suits (Detroit News)
    They won't. Remember CR is a conspiracy against domestic makes. :P
    They said you may notice it if you make a sharp turn at low speeds in a Prius.

Unfortunately, no one in a Prius has ever made a sharp turn. Toyota really had no way of knowing this problem existed since 2004. ;)

That's a global number, looks like 670k units are in the USA.
    That is soooo lame. So the rich recover whatever money the lawyers don't take.

Judge Dale S. Fischer ... must still decide how much of the settlement to award the lawyers in attorneys fees.

Probably $25.499 million.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Maybe some sportscar owner got a Prius as a loaner?
    That's the only way they'd ever find out. ;)
    Just a drawing, but it's a radical departure from the current car:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/prius/61219/new-90mpg-4wd-toyota-prius-shape- s

Actually, I'll go on record to say it's TOO different. This would alienate the current base.

AWD = Subaru influence perhaps?
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/20/carmd-releases-entirely-objective-reliability- -rankings/

Fewest check-engine lights reported to CarMD.

Oddly, though, one of the higher repair costs when the problem does creep up, behind only BMW.

Safest bet?

the most reliable car on the list is the 2010 Toyota Corolla
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    edited November 2012
    Very interesting. BMW #1 in repair costs, Toyota #2, and Honda #3. Good thing Toyota and Honda are reliable. I don't entirely agree with the methodology of the survey, but it does give more ammunition to the results of other sources of reliability data (Consumer Reports, JD Power, True Delta) that say Toyota is the most reliable of all the manufacturers. One things for sure - never go to a Honda or Toyota dealer for repair or maintenance if you have a good independant.
    Yeah, interesting methodology to say the least. A lot of check engine lights are actually harmless, like a loose gas cap.

I had one on my Sienna, but get this - turned out to be a rodents nest in the engine bay, with lots of peanut shells to prove it! They chewed on the wiring harness, so an electrical fault came up.

That's the only issue I've had with the van, besides the fact that they forgot the antennae at delivery.
    On a German car, it is likely a failing sensor. Lots of those to fail.

My uncle has a 99 (I think) LeSabre with an intermittent check engine light. I have told him to ignore it, as it shows up maybe once a month for a minute.
    Here's a fix: get a drill with a thin bit, drill right through the bulb.

Problem solved! :D
    Black electrical tape is even easier.
    Not as permanent. You'll need to replace the tape every few years. :D

Loved owning a pre-OBDII NA Miata. They were simple and grenade proof.
    I drove the fintail as an everyday car for several years. No worries about idiot lights there. Heck, when I jumped into the 70s and upgraded to electronic ignition, it was amazing.
    You could probably put a mix of grain alcohol and fermented apple juice in the fuel tank and it would run.

Smoothly.

:D
    That would be in the 4cyl or diesel models.

Seems that wasn't ruled out though. This is an actual page from the owner's manual:

Back in those days, a Toyota could probably run on kerosene too :shades: