Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    edited February 2013
    updated the Corolla's looks again. You think this time they will give it its first powertrain update in eleven years? I wonder if I would need two hands to count the number of models besides Corolla that still offer a 4-speed auto as the only automatic option.....and 11 years ago, the same criticism could have been leveled at the 3-speed auto Toyota still employed in the '02 Corolla.

Toyota could distinguish itself here with a direct-injected engine and a 6-speed auto for the '14 Corolla (not to mention a bit of a power bump and a 40 mpg rating), but I will be very surprised if they do.

I do really like the look of the Note, but Toyota has announced that the Matrix dies this year for America, so unless they bring the Note with a different name here, I don't think it will be offered in the States.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I'm sure they will update the powertrain. But you have to give Toyota credit, the Corolla is a money-printing machine for them. They still sell tons of them! To top it off, the Corolla, even with it's 4 speed auto, is still one of the most fuel efficient in it's class!! CR's real world MPG tests had only a diesel and a hybrid beat it!!! I like my Toyota stock performance!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sure has been selling, but I'm sure they'd like to push transaction prices up several grand. They're cheaper than the average Elantra by far.
    True, but with the current one, since they are using a drivetrain that has been around for a long time, all the big development costs, molds, etc. have long since been paid for. Has to be a money printing press at this point!
    True, but over time the value of the name erodes.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    It'll take a long time, even with fleet dumps. Many people simply think "Corolla" when wanting a frugal new car, and don't look elsewhere. Also in my area, if you are fresh off the boat and wanting your first USA car, you run to the Corolla.
    Oh, no that survey is flawed, or Toyota paid them off, Toyota is taking all the money overseas, etc. etc. ;)

You won't hear from some until there is something negative to report.

Seriously, good news, I am personally glad to see the overall improvement for most makes, including the Detriot 3.

And I like Toyota's stock performance, since I am a shareholder, AND I live in the USA! ;)
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Nice, not really unexpected IMO. I know quite few people with even older RX's, 2 of them with first gen 1999/2001 RX's and they are still their faithful daily drivers...

I have always respected Lexus in this respect but I just wish they would offer something a bit more interesting. Something like what BMW is offering with the X1 and Audi with the Q3.

On a side not, the new GS has moved to the top of the heap as far as my favorite in that class goes. I pass a Steel Grey one every morning on my way to work and it is a real head turner... :)
    RAV4 V6 was dropped, my theory is there will be a Lexus version, a baby RX.

Still waiting for fin to chime in about how RX drivers take it easy in their cars while healing from all that plastic surgery. ;)
    Yay just what the world needs, another pretentious soft-roader.

I find it amusing how Toyota is using ad campaigns for the LS and RX about it being "new", when it is just the 61 Plymouth grille grafted on. And the F-Sport "turning a new page", don't get me started.
    another pretentious soft-roader

All the lux brands can't build 'em fast enough. And they can't launch new, smaller models fast enough, either.
    Never underestimate the idiocy of the American public?

But smaller is better than larger, anyway.
    The disease is spreading, Europeans are starting to want crossovers as well.

Both my brothers have crossovers in Brazil, one of their wives also. The segment didn't even exist a decade ago.
    Maybe restrictive licensing based on gender could change things :shades:

Or license endorsements based on ground clearance. Seriously.
    In Brazil you actually need the wheel travel, the roads are so bad. And I'm talking about the paved ones. :D
    Unfortunately, the locals think they also need it for the Bravern/Bellevue Square valet parking areas.

I swear it isolates the driver from seeing pedestrians at crosswalks or driveways. But, I digress...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Toyota said it has reached a settlement agreement with the Attorneys General of 29 states and American Samoa, one U.S. territory.

"This settlement means Toyota has nearly closed the book on this ugly chapter of its history and the settlement isn't terribly painful for the automaker," said Michelle Krebs, Edmunds senior analyst. "The $29 million isn't a huge amount for the company, which admits no guilt or wrongdoing as part of the agreement. Yet the settlement allows Toyota to move forward at a time when it is introducing a tremendous number of new models."

Toyota Announces $29-Million Settlement To Help Close Recalls Chapter
    I saw a report that said if your eyes are farther from the ground you tend to underestimate your speed, so there's some science to that.
    That about what Dana settled with them, just co-sign the check and hand it over. LOL
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/21/toyota-camry-lineup-gets-interior-and-tech-up- dates-one-year-in/

Softer elbow rests on the doors, and a new color too. About as much excitement as a Camry buyer can handle. ;)
    Scion tC was most popular with young buyers in 2012

According to J.D. Power, 50.2 percent of Scion tC buyers in 2012 were between the ages of 16-35, making it the most popular car for the age bracket. The tC was also the most popular car with young buyers in 2011, although the coupe had a slightly higher percentage of the 16-35 crowd (50.6 percent) that year.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Looking at the marketplace figures, seems to me they are already mended. Maybe the title here needs to change?
    Toyota Competitors - On The Mend? :D
    Mend, mend....

Darn Toyota?
    http://www2.technologyreview.com/tr50/2013/

MIT names Toyota & Audi as being at the forefront of its industry.
    edited February 2013
    Japanese brands, led by Lexus, Subaru and Mazda, continue to dominate Consumer Reports' rankings of the best light vehicles on the market, claiming "top pick" honors in seven out of 10 product segments and capturing the top seven spots for overall brand reliability and performance.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130226/RETAIL01/130229917#ixzz2M21ydaPJ
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

Before the cries of bias come, let's remember the most reliable car in their survey was the Prius C yet they don't even recommend it.
    edited February 2013
    first foreign vehicle to win the Korea Automobile Journalist Association's award

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130224/AUTO0104/302240308#ixzz2M2MJ3miY
    FT-86 "OPEN" CONCEPT

A nice bump in power (50hp?) would be perfect.
    TRD will soon offer a supercharger:

http://www.examiner.com/article/scion-fr-s-slated-to-get-a-kick-the-pants-with-t- rd-supercharger

Cool thing is that means you get a warranty.

Subaru is working on a turbo. Would be interesting to have 2 options, and then compare them.

Of course why rush? The Gunma plant is running at full tilt, and that's before the new Forester gets here. Subaru needs more capacity yesterday.

I say build the Forester at SIA and move Camry production some place else.
    http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars-201- 3/

The Lexus LX surprises me.

I think the low sales volume helps some of these, no ex-rentals to compete with.
    Toyota has upped their new car warranty in the UK to 5 years or 100,000 miles (begging the question why the UK still uses miles). The "mechanical" warranty was 5/60. "While the five-year part of the deal appeals to private buyers, Toyota wants to emphasise the warranty when talking to fleet and corporate buyers."

Warranty a key weapon as Toyota targets fleets (carandvannews)
    edited March 2013
    Hyundai successfully used their warranty to market their cars into mainstream acceptance.

I wonder if Toyota will extend the warranties here, to rebuild their rep?

Looking at sales it doesn't seem necessary, but it could help them gain market share.
    It would be a way to fight back against Volkswagen. VW already has them beat with an extra year of free maintenance and an extra year of roadside coverage.

And maybe they'll start pushing fleet sales here more?
    I'd keep a lid on fleet sales, no more than 10-12% or so. Otherwise residuals will erode.
    With apologies to Rodney Dangerfield.

"Critics often deride Toyotas for their bland styling and/or unrewarding driving experience. The reality is this: Toyota has changed the nature of the automotive industry, just like GM once did.

And even though auto journalists chastise Toyota's products, the fact is that Americans love them. That's why they buy so many of them."

Toyota rarely credited for its innovation in the industry (Detroit News)
    edited March 2013
    Or it might show that the average 'Murican is more boring and thoughtless than at any time in automotive history. When the RAV is counted as "innovation", something has derailed. I'll give them hybrids, which is innovation and some kind of backwards evolution (in terms of driving pleasure) at the same time. Also ironic that the Japanese (and Toyota) managerial styles came largely from US minds such as Deming.

Toyota can make exciting cars, they just choose not to, as in the end, what sells matters. It's that simple. But no need to praise beige.
    Notice that every other brand copying the RAV4 formula?

GLK, Q5, X3, Tiguan, ...

Small crossovers are the top growth market in Europe. Build one or else, pretty much.
    But is it innovation? Is it progress? Looking at how most of these drive, and the ability of most of their "drivers", I would argue not.

Just fake toughness for bland people who should be in Civrollas.
    Europe has fallen in love with crossovers, too. This is no longer an American phenomenon.

Soon they will get some small ones we don't even get here.

Toyota invented the segment. People want the high vantage point and increased clearance without the usual trucks ride and gas guzzling.
    edited March 2013
    How does Europe liking it make it better? Europe has plenty of bland mindless people, too. The only difference is that there, they keep right.

People want to appear to be more adventurous than they really are. To the average 43 year old assistant senior HR generalist, there's not much difference between a crossover and a Paris-Dakar racer.

I can call the hybrid an innovation, as it is progress in some way, but this, just can't embrace it.
    It proves universal appeal.

Maybe it's our different backgrounds, but I grew up in Brazil, where unpaved roads are common (at least they were when i lived there) and gas costs a fortune, especially as a % of income.

Having a fuel efficient alternative to a truck makes sense to a lot of people.

I know you expect and enjoy smooth-as-glass roads, but whether it is for the Brazilian jungle or the urban jungle (often worse), crossovers provide a much appreciated edge in capability.
    I don't know if "universal" is accurate. Maybe the universal desire to appear rugged even when you're anything but.

Most of these things will never even see a gravel driveway.
    Ours has been on the beach, orchards, even in the Pine Barrens, but you can enjoy the benefits of a long travel suspension every time you go over a speed bump or pot hole, which is several times per day.

RAV4 is more rugged than a Corolla, and it's all the capability most people need.
    Yours is a Subaru, which is probably more robust, and even then, you are in what I would wager is a very small minority. The most dangerous road most of these will see is the incline on a mall parking garage ramp.

Most people just need a Corolla wagon or a vanlet, but are self-conscious, even though they are just pleasantly boring people to begin with. Image is everything.
    Ever bottom out in the AMG? I bet you did...my Miata scrapes the front lip all the time, and it's not lowered.

Seems simple but having some more bump tolerance isn't necessarily a bad thing. Or a little extra clearance so folks don't abandon their cars when there's a dusting of snow (and around here they do).
    Nope, I never did, I am a pretty careful driver, and the stuff suspension seemed to keep it level. Fintail can bottom out on obscenely steep angles, but it is a low car.

Bump tolerance? Sounds like a protection against lame drivers.

Abandoning in snow seems to have no relation to clearance or AWD, at least around here. Nor does crashing in winter weather. In fact, the AWD vehicles seem to crash just as much or more, due to inept drivers that think a RAV4 is a rally prepped G-wagen.