Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• 1badsidekick1badsidekick Member Posts: 135
    Never thought of that. How would you do that? Its hard enought getting underneath the thing and checking the fluid. How hard is it to change it out? It'd be easier on a lift, I know. Mine has been pretty tough, but I was at my garage a while back, and I recognized 2 items sitting on the pavement outside one of the bays: a Suzuki 4 cylinder engine and a transmission. I asked one of the other mechanics what happened to them, and they said the person hadn't changed the oil in the engine, and it locked up, and I never did find out about the tranny. My rear end went out at 34k, and had a little metal plate under the dash break, thus rendering my clutch useless. Those were the major problems, have had several others, but I keep finding more and more reasons to keep it. I think I'll hold on to it until it hits 100k or better. It is a tough little booger.
  • jmummeryjmummery Member Posts: 11
    Tires:
    I have the black out. I like the tires quite a bit. You are never going to get VW/Acura highway feel, so I don't think about it. Nokians are better on ice though.
    Mileage:
    I do very good on gas on long trips.(almost 30) The short trips get me though.(20 ish) My case probably doesn't apply to you. Black smoke is a normal factor of starting your car after work in
    -40 weather. Until the thing is warm, every system is pumping gas into the engine to make it run. My only comment is that Honda's do this less.
    Synthetic:
    My Vitara was changed to synthetic it the transmission,transfer,both diffs @ 25K km. Still stiff. Not unbearable but stiff. It did improve the first mile drastically. Always clunky even when warm but in a way that I like(truck like,just like the suspension)
    Some people advocate taking the top of the tranny off the earlier ones to get new oil in. I don't know if this applies. I just paid $100 CDN and it was done.
    Overall:
    This was a cheap car for me. I haven't been nice to it. I change the fluids as I'm supposed to, warm it up properly and .....
    I have launched it off snow drifts across the road intentionally at over 100kph.
    Driven on deep potholed roads at 120kph.
    Driven at above 85mph for over 12 hours staight.
    If four wheels will spin, they spin.
    I'm still happy with it, it does what it is supposed to do. I have yet to break anything.
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    to do.
    On the trans, xfer case, front and rear axle, there are two plugs. ONe is the drain plug, the other is the fill plug.
    A buddy has a 94 tracker (same as a 'kick)
    He has run MOBIL 1 since 30K. He now has 160K. Motor is still going strong with no leaks or oil burning issues.
    I have run synthetic since 2500 miles. I swear by mobil 1 any day of the week.

www.geocities.com/benjamin_380xd/
    what part of W PA?
    I am in Butler proper!

We need to get together and drink some suds and toast our rigs!
  • gene58gene58 Member Posts: 8
    Traded in my 2000 2WD, 4 door Tracker yesterday.

Everything they tell you about poor trade-in value is true... HOWEVER, you know how that is... they are going to give you as little for ANY trade-- as they think they can get away with. Mine would have been 3 years old in April and currently had 34,000 on it. No dings or scratches, but did have a small puncture wound in the rear plastic bumper... enough for a good excuse to give me only $5,600 in trade.

Oh yeah.. no power windows or locks.. That supposedly cuts down on the trade-in value also.

Anyway, I loved the vehicle... But started missing being able to sleep inside my vehicle, so I went back to a van. I traded for a 2002 E-150 XLT van, loaded.

Sure will miss my 25-26 m.p.g. I will now use enough gas to please all of the Texas oil politicians :-(

In our three years together, the only warranty work I had done was a replacement of the radio/CD player... It started eating CDs :-(

I had always wished I had bought a 4WD, but my 2WD climbed all over New Mexico and Colorado mountains and never complained. I will miss her.

Gene in Amarillo
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    it's been a long time since i posted. today i had to take the tracker in for what seems to be a loose wheel bearing on the right front wheel. while up on a lift, you can grab the wheel and it would move up and down slightly. i'm at 29,000 miles and in addition to this the other things fixed have been replacement of the radio/cd, cv boot torn, some bushings that were causing an annoying squeak in the suspension, and a squeaky clutch. overall i'm happy tho. it gets wonderful gas mileage and it's fun to take out in the boonies. i did buy an extended warranty thru warranty gold, 7/70 no deductible for around $800 plus it covers the tires too.
    Why would you buy such a thing, let alone expect a reasonable trade when you where done? The only purpose that these things serve that can't be satisfied better with something else is real 4X4 with reasonable mileage. I don't mean to sound overly harsh but this is a bargain basement 4X4 that happens to be reasonably tough and good on gas at the same time. If you want trade in value buy a 4X4 first off and make it a 4Runner or something. These are damn near free for a 4X4 and they work good. That's it.
    but so is Kia.

ANd I would not own a KIA if you paid me. Our rigs are far better designed and engineered than KIA could ever hope to be.

If zuki/trackers were "hot" vehicles like a RAV 4 or CRV, then trade in prices would be higher. But so would the retail price.
    Of course, Chevy did manufacture 2wd trackers, so that people would buy them. People further south who wanted a tall riding wagon, but didn't need the 4x4, would save a few bucks and get the 2wd version. Its all about what you need, and what you can afford. I live in VA, so I feel that I need 4x4, thats why I have one. But others may not, so you shouldn't criticize someone for buying a 2wd without knowing their reasons. After all, Chevy DOES make them ;-)
    -Kia isn't built like a truck underneath and it has no off road "history" so it doesn't qualify as an off road vehicle at all.
    -Chevy does not manufacture Trackers. Trackers are designed by Suzuki and manufactured by CAMI( Candadian Automobile Manufacturing Incorporated www.cami.ca ) CAMI was started as a joint venture between GM and Suzuki to manufacture econo cars and econo 4X4's. They do pretty good work when considering the price of their products. I have been through the plant with my engineering organisation and been fairly happy with everything I saw. It is NOT a Honda or Toyota plant but it is far better than any typical big 3 plant.
    One interesting note is the reason that GM still sells Trackers. As everyone knows the sales aren't so hot. Gm will sell them at a loss. Why? Gm needs to keep their truck fleet fuel economy below a certain average or the US EPA will ding them. The Tracker keeps them under the bar.

Good day, sorry if I pissed anyone off
    I'm still very happy with my Vitara/Tracker
    I know that Suzuki designed them, I guess I should have worded that differently. I knew that Chevy, GM, in general, doesn't make the cars, but I was simply stating that the Tracker was offered in a 2 wheel drive version. Therefore, why criticize someone for buying a 2wd when it is manufactured to sell? My Sidekick was made in Japan, so I take it that the Trackers are the only ones made in Canada? Or is that a change that was made since the last redesign (99) of these vehicles? Interesting you should note that the Trackers have such low sales, but I see more of them on the road than Suzukis. However, the old Sidekick is still ever popular, I see them on the road all the time. GM likes to join in with other companies don't they? Suzuki, Isuzu, Toyota, and others I'm sure that I haven't mentioned. I wonder why GM hasn't offered an extended version of the Tracker such as the XL7? I am actually considering an XL7 as my next vehicle. I drove one when they first came out, and liked it quite a bit. Also, to respond to your Kia comment, I thought Kias(the Sportage and Sorento)were built on truck frames? Even though I'd rather see a Suzuki offroad vs. a Kia any day.
    however, that is about the only strong point those vehicles offer.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Just drove my 2002 4dr.Tracker, LT., V6.,from Melbourne Beach, Fla. to Southern N.J. { 1040 miles) and averaged 24.6 miles per gallon. I have approx. 10,000 miles on same and so far only service has been regular 3000 mile services plus a tire rotation at 6000 miles.
    Mirrors my trip from W PA to PSL Florida too!
    I did have the alterntor replaced on mine 3 months after I had it.
    Otherwise, a fine little SUV
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    the only problem i ever had on my 99' tracker 2-door. was the check engine light came on a few months ago, and wouldn't go off the whole day. So i sat there and thought about it. The check engine light is usually caused my emissions related issues. So then i remembered that i put a locking gas cap on it. so i changed gas cap's , then took off the positive battery terminal. Waited 10 seconds put the battery term back on . and i have never had a problem since. but just recently i installed that locking gas cap back on. and NO problem at all now.. Other than that my tracker has been a tank!
  • weiwei71weiwei71 Member Posts: 8
    Wondering how many in this forum are do-it-yourself kind. I have a question.

I have a 2000 Grand Vitara, it should be the same of 2001 Tracker with 2.5 V6 Engin. Recently I want to change the oil by myself but so dispointed to find out the oil filter of the Grand Vitara located in such a strange position. I tried ton of different ways but so far not successful. Anyone on this board has done this before and may share your experience with me. What kind of tools you were using to do the job? What kind of filter you purchases and so on?

Thanks!

Weiwei
    and yes, on that unit its a royal pain. Never have figured out the "easiest" way to do this.

FOr oil, I use MObil 1 exclusively and a NAPA/WIX filter.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    Anyone ever change the serpentine belt on a 2.0L? The alternator, water pump, compressor and power steering pump are all fixed. One pulley looks fixed and the other, just below the steering pump looks like the only thing that moves for adjustment for belt replacement. I can't figure out how to move that pulley. The belt squeaks intermittently and belt dressing works for a short while. I can spray it anywhere on the belt to stop the squeak. I'm ready to change the belt.

For oil filter I use a mini strap wrench (I think I got it from the plumbing dept of a hardware store), it works great, though granted it is a tight spot.
    i just did this the other day on my 01 2.0, along with the fuel filter. it was fairly easy but it sure was hell to find both parts. plus unlike most vehicles, there's no little "map" to show the direction to put it back on so be sure to draw yourself a little pic like i did. i finally found the belt at napa. the pulley to use is the one right above the fan assembly. hope this helps.
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    Mine is also a 01 2.0 with about 37K miles. If you could elaborate more on the adjustable pulley for belt replacement; the pulley directly above the fan looks fixed to me, the pulley between the fan and the power steering pump looks adjustable but I can't quite see how. Could you tell me what loosens it, a bolt and where it is? Why did you replace your belt? I've had good luck getting parts through Napa. Thanks for the tips.
  • amadeus131amadeus131 Member Posts: 43
    Hi everyone, sorry in advance for long post. I'm currently considering trading in my 1999 2dr 4x4 Blazer as I've got 74k miles on it and things are starting to go wrong, expensive things too. I've probably dropped US$2500-3000 into this rig over the past year in repairs, and I still haven't had The Big One happen yet (which I've heard is usually in the transmission).

I thought about an Aztek, even drove one the other day and it drove rather nicely. But there are none in my area both equipped as I'd like and in a reasonable color, and I've just read that GM is phasing out the Aztek in December 2004. Granted that they might say "we lied" and make more anyway, like they did with the Blazers and the entire Oldsmobile line, but I don't wish to risk it. I am no economics guy, but my guess is this would make the already low resale value even worse (early projections of Aztek resale values are actually high, but I'm skeptical). Besides, I was not looking forward to three years or more of "ugly stick" comments. :)

I thought about a Pontiac Vibe for about five minutes this evening. But the engine is small and appears underpowered, especially for the AWD version. I haven't driven one yet.

My needs are that I'm a single guy in my mid-30s, drive about 18000 miles a year, and frequently carry musical instruments to the rehearsals and gigs I do in my spare time, usually several small to medium sized instrument cases. I have been known to take long road trips once or twice a year. I do want 4x4 capability and do not mind the shift-on-the-fly type (my Blazer has this and I like it), as I live in the frozen Northland of St. Paul, MN. I do not do any off-roading. I am most interested in the LT model fully loaded up with every option including the leather interior; gmbuypower.com says there are a few such vehicles in my area.

So far the Tracker looks like I should consider it again. I have driven one, it struck me as roomy but underpowered, but this might have been a 4-cylinder model and it was about a year ago so I can't remember. Obviously I don't expect even the 2.5-liter engine to have the grunt of my 4.3-liter Vortec V6. The lady's comments about finding it tippy in crosswinds worry me the most, as I do drive on highways a fair bit and it does sometimes get windy here, windy enough even to feel in my Blazer. I am motivated to buy (or at least lease if they'll write an 18k mi/yr lease) a new GM vehicle this month due to the doubled GM card earnings.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice! By the way, call me Jack, I hate my user name and would change it if it were allowed. I chose it about 5 years ago, and it was meaningful to me then but not as much anymore.... :)
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    Is it even possible to downgrade from a Blazer, Jack? Seriously, if you are intent on buying another GM product and will not be off-roading, you may want to consider the Vue. Off-roading capacity is what sets the Tracker/Vitara, Wrangler, Liberty, and Xterra apart from the small and tall all-weather station wagons like the Forester, CR-V, RAV4, Vue, Escape, etc. If you're not going to off-road, you might as well go for the highway ride. If you are not locked into getting a GM product, you may want to also consider the Outback, Passat 4Motion, and A4 Quattro wagons.
  • amadeus131amadeus131 Member Posts: 43
    You might have a point on downgrading from a Blazer. But seriously, I would have looked at the Vue, only I can't use my GM card earnings on a Saturn. Also the thought of paying sticker price for a Saturn doesn't excite me. I did just look at a Vibe today, it is larger than I remembered but not as tall, and I'd prefer something a bit taller. I have yet to drive a Tracker as it was beginning to rain down buckets when I got to the Chevy lot, but hopefully will this week. I am locked into a GM product because I have $2000 in doubled GM card earnings this month. But I appreciate the advice and will keep you all posted.
    these are tough dependable rigs!
    my tracker is black. "i have 12,000 scratch from off roading.." I have 215/75/15 B.F.Goodrich all-terrains on my little tracker. what a difference them tires make. b4 i would have to be in 4x4 to climb certain hills. now them same hills can be done in 2x4 ! just because of them tires. i wanted B.F. Goodrich Mud-Terrains.. but they said they would wear quickly and be noisely on the road. and with me having a soft-top i have enough road noise..

also i use Amsoil oil and fluids in my tracker i use fully synth fluids in everything. transfer case, trany, engine. both axles. for the engine i use the amsoil oil-filter with the 0w30 weight series 2000 oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/tso.html
    Sounds like you have really invested in your rig to make it last and perform.
    You should get many years of good service.

Myself, I have not swapped out all fluids for syn but I have run mobil 1 since new.

These are little tanks but without the long gun barrel!
    http://www.geocities.com/benjamin_380xd
    Shows us what a tracker can do!
    These truly are tough rigs!
  • dmc1648dmc1648 Member Posts: 4
    Last weekend I test drove a brand new 2002 (yes, 2002) Tracker 2wd Convertible. The dealer has about a half dozen 2002 they're trying to get rid of. The one I test drove felt under powered (with the auto tranny) and kind of cheap inside compared to my last couple of cars. I currently drive a 97 Sebring Convertible. Before it, I drove a 93 Lumina Euro.

I've always liked the look of the tracker. I've read through quite a number of messages in here and people seem to have good things to say about them. The asking price on these vehicles is $13,999. I'm trying to decide whether or not to go back this weekend and see if I can get them to knock another thousand or two off of that and buy one.
    My vitara is a five speed, I test drove the auto and I would totally agree with you its a bit underpowered.
    The five speed gives it much more spunk and is fun to drive too!

I think you will develop a bond with the tracker and never look back.

Remember, these are real suv's with a full frame, true 4wd, and a timing chain, not belt, in the motor.
  • tpfilmtpfilm Member Posts: 3
    Hey, just to let people know... As of today 5/1/03 you can us your GM card rebates at Saturn. Combine that with the rebates ($3000 on L and $2000 on ION and VUE) and you have a good deal for a car based SUV.
  • cpioncpion Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any problems with their clutch making a sort of creaking sound? This is something that only happens sometimes and the dealer tells me that is a "common problem" with the Trackers! Mine is a 2000 and I just bought it used about 1 month ago and am now stuck with a creaking clutch. Sometimes it is a slight creak and other times it is quite noticeable! It's not something one would want to live with for 5 or more years and they are telling me I have to live with it because even if they change the plastic discs within the clutch mechanism, it would still do it eventually once dust builds up in there. What does anyone think of that??
    Have you examined the linkage under the dash and verified sufficient grease is present? What about the clip holding the pedal assembly to the pivot assembly, is it out of position or bent?

BTW.....with regard to your dealer feeding you that line, tell him go get a brain and read the service manual before dispensing poor advice.
    I had this problem almost from the start when we bought our 01 tracker new. it took the dealer 5 attempts to finally fix it. they replaced bushings, they greased everything, nothing worked. it only squeaked when depressed all the way to the floor. it was the clutch assembly on back of the firewall. dealer said a bolt that holds the assembly in place was loose.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Wife is switching jobs and will get a corporate Ford Windstar. What is resale value for a 1999 Tracker 1.6L 4Door Hardtop with 45,000 miles?
    www.kbb.com for the resale value of your rig.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can ask over in Real-World Trade-In Values for a "third" opinion.

Steve, Host
    i am "guessing" your 1.6l tracker isn't going to be much on the trade in. I couldn't even find on them websites a spot where you could choice the 1.6 engine. I have a 99 and mine is a 2.0l they went to the 2.0 cause the 1.6 was extremely underpowered. Hell people think the 2.0 is underpower. and the 2.0 have 30 more HorsePower than the 1.6l. You do have low mileage though. selling it outright will of course get your more $$$. Good luck!
  • cpioncpion Member Posts: 2
    I need some advice. I wrote in a while back regarding my creaking clutch in my 2000 Chevy Tracker. Well, the story in short is that I brought it back to the dealership once and they said the clutch just needed to be adjusted, it was good for a couple of days and the creak returned. I brought it back a second time and they then said it was the plastic discs in the clutch mechanism and there was some clutch dust build up in there, which they cleaned out and at that point I was told it was a "common problem with Trackers" and they could not guarantee that it would not return again and if it did, they would not be able to fix it. Well, as you can imagine, the sound returned not long after and I called them back and they said there was nothing more they could do. I spoke to the manager and he said he could only go by what his service dept. told him and asked me to bring it down the next day. I did, but it wasn't making the sound at that time because they had just sprayed lubricant in there two days prior to that, so it was only happening on and off at that point. I told them I would take it to another Chevy dealership and get a diagnosis from them. I did just that and they said the pivot fork joint was dry and it should be greased. I then returned to the dealership I purchased the vehicle from with paperwork in hand and they still didn't want to work on it, but I did eventually convince them to TRY to fix it. They, of course, did not..they just sprayed lubricant in there again and the noise has once again returned. It's no longer under warranty, but the problem was brought to their attention during my 60 day warranty period. What would you suggest I do at this point? They definitely will not fix it now and I'm not sure that I would want them to at this point. I was thinking of contacting the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and possibly Consumer Protection...what do others do in this circumstance? I have the diagnosis, but don't feel I should have to pay for something they should have fixed in the first place!
    I would go back to the dealer that correctly diagnosed it. Have them fix it once and for all.
    Then write a nasty letter to GM mentioning the imcompetence of the dealer that cannot seem to fix it.
    Then file a complaint with your state's attorney general office.
    Hi all, I posted a long time ago, and here I am again. I have a '98 Sidekick sport (same as tracker) and I'm again having clutch problems. Last year, I had the linkage under the dash replaced, and now a year later, my clutch is once again acting up. When I press the pedal to the floor, is isn't disengaging the transmission all the way. I scrape gears often when shifting, and when sitting still, it is difficult to get it to go into any gear. I'm taking it to be looked at, and personally, I think it's either a master or slave cylinder, because under the dash, where the clutch linkage goes through the firewall, there is a lot of fluid. It isn't dripping, but it's quite wet. The resovoir is full, but it's having a problem somewhere. If it is going to cost a lot to fix, I've already chosen it's replacement: a 99 Explorer XLS. My car has 55,500 miles on it. I've had numerous problems out of this car. Every 6 months, something else happens. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Its got a leak or you have a fitting leaking.
    well my tracker has been a tank. i have basically used it as a street legal A.T.V. But today i noticed my first problem. well actually last week while driving down this one road i heard a sound that sounded like a hammer hit the underneath of my frame. i thought nothing of it. i thought maybe it was just a rock or something that bounced up and hit me underneath. well today while driving home i heard that sound 4 times in 20 miles. i got worried and pulled over. found nothing hanging down etc. i got home jacked up the front end and discovered that the right front wheel spins freely, but not the left! also with my hands at the 12-&-6 o'clock position i noticed the tire moved (IN & OUT)it felt like when your wheel bearings go bad. i took off the tire and disassembled everything to get to the bearings Except, i could not get this round smooth locking fastern off. I guess it must require a special chevy tool or something. "go figure" needless to say i had to call the dealer, and it is going in the shop this coming Wednesday. I told them it HAS to be fixed b4 Thurs A.M. Because Thursday @ 9am i have another appointment at the same dealer for my tracker. but this is for my P.O.S. aftermarket cruise-control that never seemed to work correctly!!! but this time it completely failed. It kills me to take it to the dealer. Because there is a great foreign salvage yard that ONLY works on foreign cars. and they are REAL pro's too. they have worked on my parents toyota pervia and saved them thousands over the years. and we NEVER had to come back for the same problem twice. But in this case i needed my tracker find a.s.a.p or b4 thursday. lol btw my tracker is a 1999 2-door 2.0ltr 53,000 miles
    one thing that i have heard and seen 1st hand is dealers HATE to do warranty work. "no money involved" the manufacture only pays a flat rate and thats that. No extra money to be made. I recently had my 2002 Kawasaki vulcan 800 classic in the shop for warranty carb work. they "claimed" they torn the carb apart and totally cleaned it. Man that was Bull.! it acted the same way. My scooter was at the shop for 11 days. and nothing was done to it. so i torn it apart, and found all kinds of dirt in the carb, and check this out, even grass!!! a vacuum line came off and sucked all of that into the carb. well i ripped it apart and completely cleaned everything out. and since i had it all apart i order a jet kit and am going to re-jet the carb for my new exhaust pipes. but to the point, dealer hate warranty work. btw i have friends who have worked at chevy dealers, and they complained about the same thing. "NO money to be made on warranty work". And in my case it was a shame that i had to do the work myself to have it done correctly, and NOT have my scooter at a shop for half a month or more!

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arkainzeye
    I was told that the Sidekicks/Trackers (the pre 99's models) had a recurring problem with the clutches on the manual transmission models. It seems that no matter how many times you fix it, the clutch continues to give problems over time. It has been a year since I had the linkage under the dash replaced on my '98 JX Sport, but it's doing the same thing again. I took it to my mechanic, and he did the same thing he did first last year: adjust the clutch. The clutch pedal is now a considerable amount higher than the brake pedal, just like it was last year. I was told that if I took it to a Suzuki dealer, they might be able to fix it for good...but I'm planning on trading it off within the next week or so. Overall, I have really liked my Sidekick. It has performed well for me, but it has had numerous problems. One of which was the rear end went out on it at 34,000 miles, and left me car-less for 3 months. After that, it's been just little things, however the clutch was no picnic last year. The replacement I have chosen is a '99 Ford Explorer XLS, with 32k miles. My Suzuki currently has 55,800 miles on it.
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Well, I managed to sell my 1999 Tracker 2.0L automatic 4x4 80,000km truck for $10,000 Cdn. within 5 days of posting first ad! Had purchased for $25,000 new 4 years ago. Somewhat happy about this. Truck served its purpose and on to a minivan!

Happy truckin...
    quick question for anyone with a 1999 tracker or newer. how do you take on and off the center cap on the alum wheels? i am now missing one. and was wondering how it came off.
  • m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    My '99 Grand Vitara JLX+, 5-speed, Tracker clone, has been pretty bullet-resistant, but the pinion gear cracked, which just blows my mind, as that, to me, is like an anvil in a sturdy sort of way. I mean, the thing is the size of your fist, and solid steel....

Thought it was a U-joint, initially, as it sounded just like that. But after spinning the wheels with the driveshaft disconnected, my stomach sank. I really didn't want to have to yank the axles, and whatnot.

Anyway, replacement of the whole diff w/a new one from a guy here in OR, was only $267, shipped, and I managed to replace the whole thing with a socket wrench, a 12MM and a 14MM, socket, a 12 and 14MM open end wrench, and some pooky. Oh, 'pooky' is sealant. Southern thing. Floor jack was nice to get the new diff up in place.

FWIW, a rebuild at a local shop was quoted at $600. Shop around. Turns out, on EBay, there were some of these same diffs going for $99. Live and learn.

Anyway, if you wind up with a bad U-joint clunking at low speed, which lasts for months, it could be a pinion gear. Seems to be a weak spot, as another guy said, "this is a problem on some of them". Go figure.

Kelly B
    orange dials blew the M45 off my wish list...