Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• oldzeeoldzee Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for someone with a '98 Tracker or Sidekick with automatic transmission that could tell me what RPM you're turning at: 55MPH and 65 MPH. Thanks.
  • kchin1kchin1 Member Posts: 4
    Second week driving my '03 Tracker LT and love it! When I read the various "professional" reviews, however, the Tracker is almost invariably poorly reviewed and rated. This car is definitely NO lemon! What are your thoughts on this???

Also, I notice when the heat is on for the legs on the passenger side, only the passenger's left leg is warmed. Anyone else notice this or is something wrong?

Thanks
  • mopar67mopar67 Member Posts: 728
    the heater output duct is under the IP right over the trans tunnel running to the firewall. Most vehicles are constructed this way.

These rigs are very tough and well made, the rags seem to think that unless you have all wheel drive or a unibody design that you're not making a "state of the art" vehicle.
  • oldzeeoldzee Member Posts: 2
    Hey folks, it's me again with the same question. Anybody out there with a '98 Tracker/Sidekick with automatic transmission want to tell me what RPM you're reading at 55 MPH and at 65 MPH? I had a '96 Tracker with the 3L30 three speed automatic which is direct drive in top gear. I think the '98s have the 03-72LE four speed automatic which is overdrive in top gear. Want to know if that gives the little beast a better cruising speed configuration.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    Lastnight while driving my 1999 2-door 2.0 tracker, I noticed the speedometer wouldN't go above 25mph. "stuck" i hit the clear plastic covering a few times. NO luck. then as i went faster it stayed at 25mph. So i hit it again. And this time it went to 35mph. but i was clearly doing faster than 35. so i went to the store came back out started it up, hoping it was just a electrical issue and would be gone when i restarted. But NOPE it was still there. so i went 65mph and hit the covering hard.. "at this time i was getting upset" then all the sudden it worked.. I hope this will Not be a sign of what is yet to come with this speedo... has anyone ever had a problem like that b4? I hope my speedo is not going back.. i could only imagine what that would cost!
  • eheadingeheading Member Posts: 26
    I believe on my 2004 Tracker with auto trans. my engine is turning over about 2500 rpm at 65 mph.
  • draven3draven3 Member Posts: 10
    Over the holidays I got a chance to go off-roading in my 03 two-door tracker and it was a blast. I have found a long sand bar (beach) by a river and was playing in the sand. Never got stuck and the sand was deep in some spots. I had even jumped the tracker and never bottemed out the shocks. Great truck. I do wish that it had more power with the auto sometimes.
    Does anyone know how hard this would be to install? I am very interested in these rear end lockers. this past weekend in the snow my rear-end wanted to break traction. The tracker went very well in the snow. but i feel it could only go better with something like this... take a look at this link and scroll down.. i was shocked at the cheap price too...

http://www.rocky-road.com/kickdrive.html
    since Thursday i have heard a noise when i drive. to me it sounded like when a tire is almost flat. well i couldn't find anything wrong. then TODAY i was driving and the noise got louder so i pulled over. and to my surprise i found rear oil all over my inside of the passenger Rear wheel. I called a local shop that my g/f knows and they are going to tow it and look on it on Monday. he told me to check the pumpkin to see if i had any fluid left. and luckily i did! thank god. but anyways, any one else had a issue like this b4.? i had another wheel bearing fail on me in June. but this one was the front drivers side. and just the bearing alone was $180!
    Oil in the inside wheel?? How are the breaks?? could it be the break Line?? Or a bearing on the end of the axle shaft?? Let us know what you find out
    i didnt get the tracker back yet. but they said i chewed up a bearing and the oil seal was shot. and that is why differental oil was leaking into the rear drum brake. Just this summer i replaced the drivers side front bearing ($179 a BEARING!) but the reason i dont have my tracker back yet, is because they had a hard time finding the parts for it. they had to Order everything. Because no one really stocks them parts for trackers. I must admit i am afraid to see the repair bill. i know they had to pull thge axle Out in order to replace the bearing
    is this the only trouble that you have had with your Tracker?? Just the bearings?? I have a 03 soft top Tracker (auto) and I love it. I am wanting to know how deep in the water have you been in? I wonder if you go in water too deep (to the bottom of the door), Will it wear out the bearings?? And a question about the auto transmission, how and when should you service the transmission? Do I just drain the tranny fluid and refill? I have 12 thousand miles on my Tracker now. Good luck with you truck arkainzeye
    as far as the trany service i read it is 100,000 miles but i have done mine a few times and i only have 57,000 you Don;t need to replace the filter each time either. I do my auto trany filter every other time. CHevy wants it changed at 100K miles. as for the bearing issue i got my tracker back today. this is my 2nd set of bearing in 6 months. (different wheels) 1st time was drivers front. this time it was passenger rear. it cost me $317.55 that was with the bearings, new seal and some kind of holder. + Only $100 labor.. this time i didn't go to the stealer i went to a small local garage. I knew the smaller garage would be alot cheaper on labor. I am now going to expect the other 2 wheel bearing to go also. I have driven my tracker in water up to the bottom of the door. But i only did that twice. other than that i do off-road and mostly go on rough terrain like rocks and what not. I must admit i am a little shocked to be eatting these bearing so quickly with only 57k miles. And whats bad is these bearing are expensive too! so in 3-6 months if another bearing or 2 goes bad i will not be surprised.
  • fredback1fredback1 Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at the '04 Tracker with 2.5V6 vs. the '03 Tracker with the 1.8L 4 cyl. Test drove both today. Price of '03 was almost $2000 less that the '04. V6 had more power and seemed to have a more quiet ride. Any experience out there? I would assume that mileage would be better with the 4 cyl but is it appreciable?
    an 03 tracker, the base engine is a 2.0 four cylinder engine.
  • fredback1fredback1 Member Posts: 2
    You're correct. It is 2.0 4 cyl on the '03. I got it confused with another vehicle we drove yesterday. It doesn't seem that 0.5 L would make that much of a difference.?????????
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It doesn't seem that 0.5 L would make that much of a difference.?????????

Would a 25% increase in your salary make much of a difference? That's the same percentage difference in displacement we're talking about here.

tidester, host
    plus you are talking about more than just size. you are also talking about a in-line engine verses a V engine. V = more torque, which = more pulling power and towing ability. theres alot more to it than just a number.
    I have a 03 soft top tracker with the 2.0 and I love it. It is everything that I need and want. It is a soft top that is quite, it gets good gas mileage and it is a four wheel drive. And the Tracker handles well also.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    Good overall SUV: 2.0L I4

More ruggedness and flair: 2.5L V6 <<more power :)
  • cos2482cos2482 Member Posts: 6
    Recently in the very cold temperatures here in Albany NY, the front drivetrain in my 2003 Tracker has been making a very very loud moaning, growl when taking off for the first few miles,loud enough to be heard down the street and seems to be only below 5° F at this point (2 weeks straight). I am informed that there is a service bulletin out for this specific problem. A Service bulletin with the heading "Squeak Squeal Front Hub or CV Joint Area at Cold Temperatures #PI00811" that was issued on 02/12/2003. It states, no repairs necessary, "Live with it". Is any one else having this problem in the cold or know anything about this bulletin?
    Love my Tracker so far.
    Jim
    its kinda like a rub rub rub rub type sound that only happens when its very cold. It goes away after about a mile or so.
    Never had it looked at. It's certainly temp specific.
    I have seen this issue on other websites too.
    i dont have this problem in my 99 tracker. but i wonder if changing the differental fluid to a colder flowing synthetic would help.. i say this becuase i have only ran synth in every part of my tracker, and i have never heard these sounds. If there is NO fix availble, then what other options do you have other than live with it?
    I had my fluid changed last year.
    This noise seems to be coming from the left inner CV joint.
  • smmhcsmmhc Member Posts: 10
    1) Do Trackers come with arm rests regardless of trim level? I've noticed that base level Vitaras do not have arm rests and for some (at least last year)CR-Vs these were a dealer installed option. 2) For 04 am I correct that all Trackers have a 6 cyl engine and the 4 cyl is no longer available? 3) Would Chevy dealers have any difficulty servicing a Vitara? I live some 60-70 miles from the nearest Suzuki dealer but there are apprxly 4 Chevy dealers within a 40 mile radius of my rural home. 4) Do you see any differences between the Vitara and the Tracker that would make the Tracker a better buy? Am I correct that given the same trim levels, the Vitara sells for about $l000 less than the Tracker? Thanks for reading.
    1. Yes, I believe so
    2. yes that is correct. Same for zukes too.
    3. Shouldn't but keep in mind, part numbers will be different.
    4. Tracker can be serviced at far more dealerships than a Suzuki so that may work to your advantage.
    Keep in mind, the Suzuki has more content bundled into the price where as on the tracker, you may have to pay for things like power windows, etc by paying a heckuva lot for option packages.
    The Vitara has a longer powertrain warranty than the Tracker, 7/100,000 to be exact.
    Thanks for your reply to my questions. Somehow the name Chevy Tracker sounds better than Suzuki Vitara maybe that's the deciding factor for me...ah, what's in a name.
    I have a 2003 two door soft chevy tracker with a auto transmission and I am wanting to tow a 5'x8' trailer with it. I am wanting to know if I can put a under the bumper hitch on this truck. I see the gas tank skid plate and I don't know if it will work or not. has anyone tried to pull a small trailer with this truck before>??
    hitch on the back. I've seen some from the factory that have a box style receiver on there. Never got real close to see exactly how it was mounted though.
    I believe your rig can tow 1500 lbs as equipped. But check your manual for sure.
    Should I put the auto transmission in the power mode and turn off the overdrive? Where should I set my transmission at, power with the overdrive off? I will be towing on the hi way and going 65mph and faster. Can I pull with the transmission in the normal mode with the overdrive on? I want to pull a four wheeler and some camping and other stuff.
    too often on hills.
    &#147;The last Chevrolet Tracker rolled off the line at CAMI Automotive on Tuesday, Jan. 27. Over the past 15 years an estimated 616,750 Tracker SUVs &#151; the vehicle began production as the Geo Tracker &#151; were built at the Ingersoll, Ontario, plant. The Tracker&#146;s Suzuki counterpart, the Suzuki Vitara, also was built at CAMI. The last one was built on Jan. 9.&#148;
    -Debi Domby, Autonews
    to honor over 600,000 of these sturdy little truklets that took us through storms, bad roads, and worse drivers.
    Let us remember the humble little sidekick, tracker, and then Vitara as they soldiered on, proudly carrying their tough body on frame design in a market overrun with unibody wannabes.
    Fondly remember the sturdy engine, the stark but functional interiors that attracted many a buyer due to low price and ease of maintenance.

It is indeed a sad day in the suv world.

I will be in mourning for the next three days. Fortunately, I have a Vitara and I will cherish it for as long as I can, a rolling tribute to a ground breaking SUV
    I'm confused by the last two postings. Has Chevy discontinued production of the Tracker? Or is CAMI a plant that has been closed? Or is this one of those "Only Trackers with 4 cyl engines are real Trackers and those with 6 cyl engines are Tracker pretenders."? What's the deal? Have I been wasting my time comparing Trackers to other SUVs?
    Maybe the last 2-door & 4 banger tracker. But i still see chevy advertizing the trackers and they still have a website up for them. they are now just only v-6 and 4 door. as far as being "real trackers" they are still built on the same frame, using the same 4 wheels drive. nothing changed there. People said 2 years ago that the tracker was gone.. and look it is still being sold now. it might be gone for 2005, but who REALLY knows.
    What 04 Trackers that are left in the dealers lots are all of what is left to sell! Cami was the only plant to build them and as of the end of February, they are now building the oversized, front wheel drive, imitation SUV, the Equinox.
    Jim
    If Tracker is kaput after the 04 model then so be it. Had intended to get one come January, so will enjoy the discounts and the bargaining leverage that comes with buying discontinued models. Have spoken with several Tracker owners and read the majority of posts in this forum, seems like Tracker is the vehicle for my needs. Thanks for the information.
    too.....these were excellent rigs for the money, friendly, durable, and had a lot of character.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    If Chevy is discontinuing the tracker, does that mean that Suzuki is also discontinuing the Vitara/Grand Vitara? And what about the XL7? It's based on the same platform isn't it?
    The Tracker has been gone since the end of January, the Grand Vitara and Xl7 will continue to be imported from Japan as they have always been.
    Pardon me for being abrupt, but...since the Tracker is the EXACT SAME vehicle as the Suzuki Vitara...why are all of you so upset because the Tracker is gone? If you want one so bad, go get a Vitara. Like I said, EXACT SAME VEHICLE. There wouldn't have been a Tracker if it wasn't for Suzuki making a deal with Chevrolet back in the late '80s to sell the Suzuki with a Chevrolet nameplate on it. The Geo deal resulted in several vehicles, all borrowed from other companies. The Tracker/Sidekick, Metro/Swift, both from Suzuki, and the Storm, which was a rebadged Isuzu Impulse.
    You can sit there and say you don't want a Suzuki because it's Japanese, but GUESS WHAT, if you have a Tracker, you are driving a JAPANESE vehicle, with an American nameplate on it. Doesn't make a bit of difference.
    It also doesn't matter if the vehicle was manufactured in Canada, Japan, hell it could've been built in Pakistan, it's still a Japanese vehicle. Most American cars aren't even built in America. Some Fords and Chevrolets are build in Canada, some Chryslers are built in Mexico. It just isn't the same to "buy American" anymore, all of our labor is being shipped out of the country.
    Sorry to get on such a rant, but I just wanted to point these facts out for anyone who's been living under a rock for the past decade.
    I see you have a Vitara. If you have the Suzuki, why are you boohooing about the Tracker going away? The Suzuki came BEFORE the tracker did. It'll be a sad day in the SUV industry when the Vitara vanishes. It was actually the old Sidekick that was the pioneer, before suzuki decided to change the name to something that sounds like a home electronics brand. First the Suzuki, then the deal with GM to rebadge the Suzuki and call it a Chevy Tracker, and then the the '99 redesign of both, at which time Suzuki re-named the sidekick. All I ask is that you give credit where credit is due. Don't bring out the carton of tissues until the Suzuki bites the dust. The tracker was a mere formality, because GM wants a car based "SUV" rather than a true body-on-frame design. The Equinox is a hot looking ride, but it won't due the old Tracker justice in the GM line. Former tracker owners will be heading to Suzuki to continue owning a piece of history. I rest my case.
    My apologies to anyone who read post 925 before it was deleted. I was trying to delete it myself, but Tidester beat me to it. I spoke before I thought. #926 is what was meant to replace 925, and I was editing it when Tidester got a hold of it. Once again, I apologize if anyone got a hold of it before it was deleted. Next time I will think before I speak.
    yeah, whatever.

Where did I boohoo?

fact is, Chevy sold a lot more trakers than zuke did Vitaras. That fact alone kept the CAMI plant running a lot longer than would have been otherwise.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Tracker now has 90000 miles and still runs great. The only ongoing problem is the steering linkage......I keep it well oiled and that seems to keep me from having to repair it correctly but replacing parts. Last summer I had to have the a/c fan replaced to the tune of $400.00....the only fan that would fit was the oem. I've never had the Tracker tuned up....doesn't seem to need it and I'm running the original tires (Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP). I have tread left on the tires but they are not gripping well on wet roads......So what does everyone think of the Uniroyals. If I replace with the same tire, I only have to buy 3 tires. The spare is brandy new. I've heard pros and cons on the Uniroyals. Any suggestions will be helpful.
    SNow traction is bad and they hydroplane badly as well. But for dry pavement, they are fine.
  • cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    First of all, wildfire, I'm amazed that you still have tread at 90,000 miles. I rotated all five Uniroyal tires every 5,000 miles and replaced them at 65,000 miles because they didn't have enough tread to safely get me through another winter. I now have a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L's. I chose the H/L's because of the highway ride and traction on dry, wet, snowy, and icy pavement. My offroading is limited to hard packed dirt, shale, river rock, and sand. Legal offroading in mud is very limited around here, and my offroading accounts for maybe 5% of my driving, so all terrain tread does not make sense for my purposes. The H/L's were great this past winter. When you park, get out of your rig, and fall on your rear because you did not realize you were driving on ice, your tires are good. I suggest you choose tires based on what is best for your driving conditions. The Tire Rack web site is a good place to compare features and consumer ratings.
    When I had my '98 Sidekick, which I bought with 14,600 miles on it, the oem Bridgestone Duelers lasted barely 25k, and I replaced them with Dunlop Rover A/T's, which needed replacing when I traded the Sidekick off last June, and it had not quite 56k on it. didn't have any problems out of either set, although within the first week of having the Dunlops, I skidded a good distance (from 55 to a complete stop, totally locked 'em up), and pretty much ruined the front tires. They had huge flat spots on them from then on out. Eventually they nearly wore off, and rotating to the back helped a little. Keep that in mind if you ever slam on the brakes without ABS.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 2
    Yesterday I purchased Goodyear Regatta2 tires. I found a good sale....4 for the price of 3. And my drive home last evening put them through the test.....heavy rain for the entire 50 miles. The tires performed great. My Tracker is used as a highway runner and that's the tire the dealer recommended. I'm glad to be rid of the Uniroyals (though they did serve me long)