Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    dejavu just like Audi 5000 again. People like you insisted that Audi 5000 was a dangerous car, and blamed Audi all the way. :mad:
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    Would you say the same to these families?

Elizabeth James and her husband stand beside their new Toyota Prius - unaware of the nightmare she would experience behind its wheel. (ABC News)

She was driving on Interstate 70 outside Denver three years ago when her Toyota Prius suddenly shot up to 90 miles an hour and wouldn't stop, even though she says her foot hadn't even been on the accelerator. (ABC News)

There was extensive damage to the Toyota Prius sustained in the crash. (ABC News)
  • 2012aveo2012aveo Member Posts: 43
    The acceleration issue is also overblown. If it was so bad you would think there would be crashed Toyotas all over the roads of America. Especially where I live in New York City. Toyota's are very common on the roads here. Even with the arrogant way people drive here, I do not see an unusually high number of Toyota accidents on the roads.

I am also looking to buy a 2011 Yaris at a bargain. :) In the past ,Toyota salesman tended to be hard to negotiate with. Hopefully they will soften up a bit as a result of their recall crisis.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Basically what you have concluded is an automaker can lie, cover up the truth, deny, etc. and it is acceptable...talk about low standards.

Go over to the "Do Automobiles cause Global Warming" and you'll see larsb concludes the IPCC can do the same thing, and is about the lone-holdout on the integrity of the GW scammers. :D He'll believe Toyota is innocent because they make hybrids, and Toyota told us they're innocent.

The answer to the question of this topic becomes as obvious as - whether OJ Simpson will win a Nobel Peace prize this year. :D
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I am also looking to buy a 2011 Yaris at a bargain. In the past ,Toyota salesman tended to be hard to negotiate with. Hopefully they will soften up a bit as a result of their recall crisis.

Yup and we know there won't be any acceleration issues with the Yaris, unintended or otherwise. :P
    same thing, again, a mother backed her Audi 5000, killed her daughter instantly, and insisted that she had stomped the brake but the car was still moving. It's Audi fault, not her. :mad:

So every time toyota car has an accident, there's must be something with the car? Never underestimate the stupidity of general public. :sick:
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    I live in North East Ohio. We have three Toyota Dealers within a fifteen mile radius of where I live. In our area the Toyota Dealers have accepted responsibility and are working to correct the problem or problems. All three dealers service department is going to be open 24/7 starting Monday to correct the accelerator problem. I am not sure what else they can do or say.

Not all Toyota's in the recall group is effected. However all Toyota customers are encouraged to make an appointment to bring there vehicles in to be checked or repaired.

To some I am sure that's not enough. But in my opinion It's more than GM ever did for me in the past. :shades:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    the way the ford hybrid problem is described, it seems different.
    it could be the same, but the description massaged.
    ford doesn't mention particular driving conditions, like the prius.
    it could have been left out.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I am not sure what else they can do or say.

For most, it a little too late. Their name will never be the same. Maybe people would view them differently if that hadn't tried to blame the driver, then the supplier...how quickly we forget. Then when they were forced to issue the recall, they did everything to fight it. And that is doing everything they could do? :confuse: To make matters more uneasy, what else are they denying, covering up? If you trust them, then good for you, but many are not going to at this point.
    For most, it a little too late

I don't think "most" is the appropriate word in this sentence . I think "few" would be more accurate. There are some so bitter at Toyota for what ever reason. That no matter what Toyota did other than going out of business wouldn't be enough.

We have a wide variety of car manufacturing to chose from. If you dislike what one did/does. Don't patronize them. It's really that simple.
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    It's kind of interesting how no one remembers many recalls from other companies in years past.
    They've all had their share.
    I don't own any Toyota vehicles, but it isn't because they make a bad product.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,304
    do you think the recalls are over?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    do you think the recalls are over?

No I don't. I think there is an intermiten problem with the throtle body on some of there products . However after saying that I think Toyota will stand by there products and fix this or anyother problem that would occure. Same as anyother manufacture would do.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    You're STILL going on and on about this? Do you believe everything you read?

You realize the source of the 19 deaths from Toyota sudden acceleration is Sean Kane and his Safety Research and Strategies sham organization?

Anecdotes do not equal real problems. Each case should be investigated thoroughly. Maybe NHTSA didn't do an adequate job, but I think their view has been jaded by nearly 30 years of trying to track down the "real" causes of sudden acceleration. Look at how much time and manpower was spent on the Audi 5000 cases, only to conclude that "pedal misapplication" was the problem.

I'm STILL waiting for someone to defend Sean Kane's methodology.
    It's kind of interesting how no one remembers many recalls from other companies in years past.

Oh, but we do. Not to say we expect or hope to have them from Ford, GM, Honda, etc. but that is not something you come to expect from Toyota. Why, because they tell us so and sell us on their "quality", even to the extent that it is worth paying the extra price compare to the competition. Therefore, when something like all of these recalls happen, especially such serious issues as sudden acceleration or braking problems, consumer really take attention.

Kind of in the same manner where Hyundai was 5 years ago in terms of quality and now meets or exceeds Toyota; it just really makes consumers stand up and take notice.

Kind of like smileyworld...

Scroll over their posts is an easy way if you happen to still disagree.

LOL, when drawings like the one above appear, and photos of the same damaged Prius appear separated by only a few posts, that's pretty hard to do. Although I have been skimming most of these repetitive posts.

but that is not something you come to expect from Toyota.

I don't know where you get this idea. Toyota has had to recall numerous cars at various times in the past, just like all other major automakers.

Still, in 13 combined years of Camry ownership, my former '97 was called back once for a possible loose steering wheel, and the '04 was recalled for possible twisted side curtain airbags. (It turned out the curtain airbags were ok on my car.)
    Toyota has had to recall numerous cars at various times in the past.

Are you referring to the ones they have publicly announced or those that have been brushed under the rug and the files they have tried to destroy?

Congrats on your 13 years years of Camry ownership. Both the 1997 and 2004 were excellent models, but that has changed significantly in the past 5 years and we are all now beginning to see it come to the surface. :(

If only Toyota would build them like the use to...for example, the 2010 Camry is now recognized by many as Build Quality being on the poor side (refer to Consumer Guide). I actually feel sorry for Toyota and they use to build excellent cars and trucks, but they got sidetracked with the determination of being the biggest, but not necessarily still the best. We have seen this happen with too many companies...sales go up, and quality goes down.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Judging by the comments on CNN and other articles, the general populace doesn't give an iota if Toyota is having recalls. They talk about how great the vehicles are and how they will continue buying them.
    While this feels crazy to watch it unfold, in "non-carspace-forum" reality, its going to be a blip and life will go on. A few scorned folks will buy a Ford or a Hyundai, and if those companies don't blow it, maybe another.
    I do think it will make Toyota step up its game, after realizing not everyone wants a giant battery and electric motor to propel them around, and some people like cars and enjoy driving.
    Like I said, its going to be a blip to the public and will generate some innovation out of Toyota City.
    Judging by the comments on CNN and other articles, the general populace doesn't give an iota if Toyota is having recalls. They talk about how great the vehicles are and how they will continue buying them.

Your kidding right; sure you are watching CNN not TBS (Toyota Broadcasting System)?????? :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

A few scorned folks will buy a Ford or a Hyundai, and if those companies don't blow it, maybe another.

A FEW???? :confuse: :confuse:
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    "If only Toyota would build them like the use to...for example, the 2010 Camry"

...LE with a 4-cyl., auto, and a sunroof would cost $32,000, not $20k or $24k. The loaner I had for a night had a $24k sticker.

The new '87 LE I bought was $16,118 with tax and tags, etc. That was 23 years ago. Add inflation.

"Your kidding right"
    Nope, the only people really upset seem to be the media hacks droning on and on and a handful of folks on boards like this. And that bozo in D.C. telling people not to drive their cars - and then eating his words.

The people I work with who drive Toyotas aren't upset at all. My coworker had her husband drive my '06 Avalon yesterday and she bought it. They aren't upset. The people on my street aren't upset.

The consensus seems to be that we're considerably more at risk from typical road hazards and people texting and talking on phones than we are from one of these exceedingly rare Toyota problems.

I'm still amazed that '06 Avalon I sold has the original brakes on it at 46,000 miles. I tried to get the dealer to a brake job before I sold it and they said it was just fine.

John
  • avucarguyavucarguy Member Posts: 56
    I still believe Toyota builds good cars. I have no problem with my 07 Prius, even though some Prius owners are starting to complain about their vehicle's brakes. My wife and I take turn driving the Prius every day. We are not going to let all this hysteria stop us from using our car that has perform flawless for the last 3 years. We also drive our other vehicles also, but we use this car the most because it is good on gas and very easy to park.
    When it comes time for us to replace one of our vehicle, I would not hesitate buying another Toyota. At this point, Ford is the only domestic brand I would consider buying besides the Japanese brands.
    I wish these Japanese brands would offer diesel motors in their vehicles.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Dude, I know you have this whole vendetta thing going on here and I understand why, but given that there are lots and lots of members here, could you maybe give other people a chance to get a word in edgewise?

I just counted and you had 22 of the last 100 posts. That's 22% of the last 100 posts in this thread, just from you!

You are also mixing up a lot of the different things going on with Toyota right now. For instance, with many of these recalls including the Prius brake thing, there are no deaths reported.

I hope you will take your '09 to the dealer on Monday and get the repair done, and then I hope you will drive the car just as you did before, because you are worrying a bit too much here.

Now as for Toyota's troubles, it seems that as many as 12 different plaintiffs against Toyota for various defect suits are seeking class action status as of today. If more than one or two achieve that status, Toyota is going to lose a LOT of money over this.

As for Akio Toyoda's performance today, that was totally pathetic. Toyota has officially joined a class today that previously had only one member (GM): the "we will keep saying how sorry we are and how we have REALLY turned it around this time, and you should all believe us" club. Very bad. :sick:

That was the FIFTH public apology and promise that the customer comes first and they will get their house in order since 2005. They have lost all credibility here....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

and minor, then why is this occurring?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/topstories/2010-02-05-2639667971_x.htm

It sounds like there's a lot of smoke to this. Just keep Mr. Toyoda away from the swords. :sick:
    Oh yes, a very minor issue...that darn media has made a nuisance out of absolutely nothing. Don't they know Toyota does not like the fact that all has leaked out?

Interesting blame the owner for several weeks, then flat out deny it, then explain it as there is a problem, but with no cover-up...man this Toyota pattern is getting old..just like a broken record. ;)

"Utterly too late," the nationwide Asahi newspaper said of Toyota's delayed reaction since the crisis arose Jan. 21 with a global recall of millions of vehicles. "The entire world is watching how Toyota can humbly learn from its series of recent failures and make safe cars."

The lack of action has raised questions about whether there is a bigger problem, but Sasaki denied any cover-up.
  • windjammerwindjammer Member Posts: 25
    man this Toyota pattern is getting old..just like a broken record

I couldn't have said it any better..."man this revit pattern is getting old..just like a broken record"

windjammer
    I am sorry you feel that way...something the truth does hurt and people do not like to hear, especially if it goes against a choice they made. ;)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    truth does hurt and people do not like to hear, especially if it goes against a choice they made

You should have asked me BEFORE you bought that Camry. I could see Toyota going to the dogs in early 2007. I only bought myself because it was the best deal on any large SUV at the time. The 2007 Sequoia with its faults is head and shoulders above the later model recalled Sequoias. And slightly better looking. I do think you are stuck with your poor decision unless you take a BIG hit. I would not do that. I would just grin and bear it. :shades:

The 2007 and older Sequoias are probably better than any domestic or Asian SUV in the class. I would have to spend about $20k more to get a better ride from the Germans. So I am grinning and bearing the lousy fuel economy until a diesel I like comes along.
  • jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    WOW! Toyota designed a Christine! And not just one! 6.5 Million!

(Christine is a horror novel by Stephen King, published in 1983. It tells the story of a vintage automobile apparently possessed by supernatural forces.)

Here is an article from an engineering perspective:

"Toyota's latest woes may be hard-wired"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10446502-64.html?tag=smallCarouselArea.2

jd
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    If you search for info on unintended acceleration, you will find that Fords are the runners up after Toyota. On the Hyundai forum here there is a thread about UA in Santa Fe vehicles.

Toyota used to be considered the best quality, but their quality has been slipping for quite some time. I think I may stick with Mazda or look into Subaru.

Personally, I think these problems come from all this new-fangled electronic stuff. It reminds me of HAL the computer in 2001 A Space Odyssey.

And, yes, I am an old fogey. ;)
    Oh my :surprise:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10446502-64.html?tag=smallCarouselArea.2

After almost five years, Camry owner Ziprin is still waiting for Toyota and NHTSA to provide some kind of explanation for his crash. After filing a petition with NHTSA in July of 2005, the agency denied the petition in December of that year. "They said that the evidence was ambiguous. The answer that was clearly implied was that it was the driver's fault. That was absolutely ridiculous," he said. Moreover, Toyota, after investigating his claims, ultimately did nothing, he said.

Paul and Saskia McLean were driving their Toyota Highlander vehicle in the Mojave desert when they say it suddenly surged to over 95 miles an hour. (ABC News)

Paul McLean's young daughter was in the car with them. The family survived because, they say, they were in the middle of the desert and were eventually able to get the vehicle under control. (ABC News)

Paul McLean's young son was also in the Toyota Highlander with his family when the vehicle took off. Paul told ABC News that he is certain the floor mat was not pushed underneath the gas pedal at the time of the incident. (ABC News)
    Government Motors said they will give Toyota owners an extra $1000

( courtesy of us tax payers ) for there Toyota's.

So if Government motors doesn't :

1) File for Chapter 11 or bankruptcy..( Again )..or

2) Beg for more more tax dollars..... ( Again )..or

3) Close all dealers except one per state.. ( to keep prices up )

It might be a pretty good deal for anybody not satisfied with there Toyota
    Government Motors said they will give Toyota owners an extra $1000.

That's chump-change compared to the price of a new car, plus all the extras to put it on the road. And most owners would be trading that Toyota in, which I have to believe has lost more than that in trade-in-value the last few weeks.

If I had a newer Toyota and had any symptom at all with that vehicle, I'd have it towed to the nearest dealer, and demand a non-Toyota rental. I'd call a TV station or newspaper beforehand, and see if they would like to cover what happens. Does Toyota want the publicity of calling the police to deal with their unhappy customers? I think not. Play hardball with them.
    off course denied, he tried to blame other instead of his own mistake. Similar story in Audi 5000, the complainants always blamed their cars instead of their own blunders. :P
    typical buyer remorse! I can report to any news agency that my car does this and that. Another copy cat of 60-minute slandering reporting. :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota used to be considered the best quality, but their quality has been slipping for quite some time.

Or maybe everyone else has caught up to them, or passed them?
    Ok, reality check time.
    So you are saying that because Toyota said they were the best, you expect them to make absolutely no mistakes? EVER???
    Get real.
    So if McDs said their food was the most nutritious of all the fast food places you would believe them?

It's called PR and most every company in the world stretches the truth one way or another. It's your job not to believe the hype.

By the way, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell ya cheap.
    Or maybe everyone else has caught up to them, or passed them?

Mostly likely a combination, the competition has definitely caught up or surpassed Toyota while there is no question Toyota has slipped in Build Quality from what it use to be.
    So you are saying that because Toyota said they were the best, you expect them to make absolutely no mistakes?

Mistakes are only a problem depending on how they are handled. Given Toyota's perception of itself, the lies, cover-ups, blaming the owner, etc. is unacceptable.

This pretty much sums it up as to why Toyota has lost so many consumers:

"The world's favorite car-company-that-can-do-no-wrong has passed from Toyota to Ford," Lutz said, adding that Toyota "has slipped on a few banana peels of late."

BY TOM WALSH
    FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
    Well, if you believe the hype, then you are just another lemming.
    I seriously can't believe people who honestly are mad at a company for "lying to them".
    You believe the president doesn't lie too?

If you take anything that anyone says at face value, then you are gullible.
    Bottom line is, if you don't like them, don't buy from them.

You, as the consumer make the choice whether or not you want to buy from them.
    Being mad at them because you bought one of their products and there is a recall on it is just plain ridiculous.

Make your own decisions, don't believe all the hype.
    When Ford had it's major recall on the Pintos when they were blowing up, it was blown up way out of proportion (pun intended ;) ).
    There were people, similar to the angry posters here, who chastised Ford and were yelling "off with their heads". What, 38 years later, no one hardly even remembers it.

Oh, and no disrespect for the fallen, but if the US actually made people learn how to drive and operate vehicles in emergency situations, half of these so-called accidents wouldn't happen. A large percentage of these accidents are operator error and not vehicle problems. People have grown so accustommed to driving cars that seem to drive themselves, they have no clue how to handle one in an emergency.

If they had grown up on 43 Dodge pickups, they'd know all about handling a vehicle with a stuck throttle or no power steering.
    I loved driving my landlord's military surplus Dodge Power Wagon with snow plow attached. No power anything. But it would push a lot of snow in front of it. One of the few things I miss about Alaska in the early days living there.

It never suffered from runaway acceleration. :shades:
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I'm seeing just about every car manufacturer out there doing this....giving something along the lines of $750 on up to current Toyota owners. It's not just GM. It's Hyundai, Ford, I think I even saw Honda offering the same sort of "Toyota customer cash".

They're all out there looking to take market share from Toyota. Can't say that I have any issues with it. It's healthy competition. And, once you stumble, there's going to be someone to exploit it. I'm not so certain Toyota wouldn't have done the same thing if the roles were reversed.

Further, so far I haven't seen anyone on Toyota's end trying to protect their customer base....like extending warranties or offering steeper rebates to get, and keep that new customer. It's like they're inviting the competition to erode their market share.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Can't say that I have any issues with it. It's healthy competition.

I totally agree with you. That's the way it all way's been, and hopefully all way's will be.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Do I recall that Toyota accepted money from the Japanese government when sales were way down within the last year to help the company?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

I have never heard that before. The last couple of years or at least until all the problems started. I thought sales were up and they were competing with GM for number one in world wide sales.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    After the last couple of weeks with the screw-up done by Toyota and now Ford claiming to have to check the brakes on Fusion and Milan Hybrids because of a possible similar problem to the Prius, it really goes to show you that no car company you get a car from is safe anymore; Toyota was the last company people had faith in and now they have doomed us all!

It really comes down to the quality control of the assembly plant and what time of the day your car is being out together by the assembly workers

I guess the best thing we consumers can do before leasing or buying a car is to do extensive research on the vehicles we are looking into and making sure there are no recalls or TSBs on the model or previous model years that could work over!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    So right they all have there issues I read that Ford didn't discover the issue CR did when they were testing the car. Ford did know of the problem but didn't say anything.

Ford issues prompt fix for Fusion Hybrid brakes
    We recently experienced a perceived brake failure with our 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. We told Ford Motor Company about it and within days Ford instituted a "Customer Satisfaction Program," essentially a brake-system software fix, available free to all owners of Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan Hybrids made on or before October 17, 2009. (The build date can be found on the driver's door jam.)

Here's what happened:
    As one of our senior engineers slowed for a stop sign at the turnoff to our test facility in East Haddam, Connecticut, the brake pedal went unexpectedly further down than normal but the car barely slowed. He zoomed through the turn, with brake-system warning lights illuminated on the dash. The car more or less coasted to a stop, with what our engineer described as minimal brake feel.

After switching off the engine and then re starting it, everything returned to normal—no warning lights and full braking capability. We then took the car to our local Ford dealership, where the service manager told us that a Technical Service Bulletin covered this problem.

The bulletin in question, coded TSB-09-22-11, described a situation much less scary-sounding than what we experienced. To paraphrase, it said that electronic interference might cause the electronic brake-by-wire module to switch itself off temporarily. If that happened, the braking system would revert to a backup conventional hydraulic mode that preserved braking capability, but the pedal will drop over an inch. When the engine is restarted, the electronic braking system would resume.

We contacted Ford headquarters in Dearborn, Michigan, to ask what they knew about the problem. Ford representatives said they were aware of brake-related software settings that had led to some customer complaints, but no case of brake failure. Ford's Safety Office flew two brake-system specialists out to inspect our car at the dealership and report back to us.

The factory representatives confirmed that our car's brakes had experienced a fail-safe mode incident, but they didn't see a brake failure. They brought our car back to the Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center with its electronic brake module disabled so we could see for ourselves. Our test director and senior test engineer tried it out. The pedal travel was long and the pedal felt mushy underfoot, but when the pedal was pushed firmly down, the brakes did stop the car effectively.

When that module cuts out, the brake pedal needs to be pushed just over an inch farther down than normal before the conventional hydraulic system applies the brakes. Could our test engineer just not have pushed the pedal down far enough when the electronic module quit? He certainly didn't think so at the time, but that would at least explain why he thought he had no brakes.

Ford engineering representatives explained that the software threshold for establishing a fault in the regenerative brake system was set too sensitively, causing the system to transition to conventional brakes when it was not necessary.

Our case may be rare but is not unique. We located five other similar accounts of perceived brake failure. One report was filed with the government's auto-safety complaints database www.safercar.gov and others with an enthusiast sites, such as fordfusionforum.com.

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Ford issues prompt fix for Fusion ...
    Feb 4, 2010 ... So will CR be temporarily withholding their Recommended status of the Fusion Hybrid until all current vehicles can be fixed, and to ensure ...
    blogs.consumerreports.org/.../ford-issues-prompt-fix-for-fusion-hybrid-brakes.ht- - ml
    Misleading title -- that family was not "lost."

BTW, I would not recommend loading the back end of an SUV that way. Looks like the driver would have no rearward visibility, plus what looks like a suitcase is piled up right behind the boy's head restraint. Not good if you have a serious frontal crash!
    Congrats on your 13 years years of Camry ownership. Both the 1997 and 2004 were excellent models, but that has changed significantly in the past 5 years and we are all now beginning to see it come to the surface.

Thank you, they have been fine cars. But according to that charlatan Sean Kane, my 2004 is suspect also because it has drive-by-wire. Never mind that the gas pedal design is completely different from the ones being recalled AND it is positioned a good inch higher above the floor.
    In what way was your 2004 Camry significantly better than your 1997 Camry? My cousin likes her 98 Camry better than her 2007 model.