Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    At 1000 miles: Limited 4X4 Sport

Fuel Economy: 15.5 City. 18.25 Highway @ 70 mph on a windy, cold, foggy day in Montana.

Power on the Highway is good. Does not shift down on hills and maintains speed.

Nice ride!
  • watchingwatching Member Posts: 10
    Just sold my 1989 4wd/4door. Had 189,000 miles on it and never a problem. For us it was an exceptional vehicle.
  • marina0514marina0514 Member Posts: 4
    We have 2 small kids. How hard/easy is it for kids to get in and out of the truck. Also, for anyone who test drove more than just the Montero Sport..how does it compare with the other trucks as far as ride, passing power, comfort....etc.

Thanks.
  • rlmingorlmingo Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone leased a 2000 yet? I'm interested in an XLS.

Yah, yah, I know all about the 0/0/2001 deal. I'm not interested in purchasing w/ that. It scares me too much to be so "upside down" on a $30K SUV after one year when the payments kick in. I truly believe there is no such thing as a free lunch!!! My luck it would get stolen the day before my first payment after 11 months and I'd OWE even more money!

I am looking to lease an XLS with or without the leather/sunroof/cd package (preferred package I think it's called).

Anyone out there been wheelin' & dealin'?
  • jsp36jsp36 Member Posts: 2
    Kam,

The dealer is Delaware Mitsubishi on Pennsylvania Ave in Wilmington, DE. I was put in touch with this dealer through autobytel.com which lists Delaware Auto Group as an authorized dealer. The sales rep which handles all internet inquiries is Charles Meehan. So my advice is to log on to autobytel.com and fill out the brief questionaire listing Delaware Mitsubishi as the desired dealer.
  • cerritosca1cerritosca1 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 97 MS XLS NO PREMIUMPACKAGE AND THINKING OF GIVING UP MY 42M LEASE FOR $400/M & IM NOW ON MY 30TH MONTH. THE MONTEROSPORT IS SIGNIFICANTLY COMFORTABLE AND PERFORMS GREAT. MY QUESTION IS, WHAT IS A REASONABLE PRICE FOR LEASING 42M OR PURCHASING A MSXLS W/PREMIUM PACKAGE? $$$OVER INVOICE??? THANKYOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION =)
  • tigerskintigerskin Member Posts: 10
    Is it true that the Montero Sport is going to be built in the US soon?
  • isell_mitsus1isell_mitsus1 Member Posts: 23
    At my dealership a 42 month lease on a 2000 Sport Premium Package XLS would be 387 per month. That is without tax. The only amount due at signing would be your first month's payment.

A 48 month lease on the XLS Premium Pack would be 370+tax per month with 370+tax due at signing.

If you would like more info on the lease terms just let me know.
  • angelina26angelina26 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an XLS w/premium package. I have an 18 month old and another on the way. Room for two car seats and another person in the back. Easy to climb in with side steps. Lots of cargo space for kid gear. I recommend leather seats with children--easy to clean! We compared the MS with Pathfinder, Xterra, Trooper, and Passport. Previously owned Jeep Cherokee Sport. The ride is very comfortable and I felt much higher than in the Pathfinder. Not quite as powerful as my old Jeep (4.0L to a 3.0L). I'm very happy with the MS--a great family purchase.
  • marina0514marina0514 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much for your posting. You have made my mind up for me about what to buy. We were going to go for the Toyota Sienna.... but I am not too crazy about being a mini-van mom.
    We have 2 kids and both are still in car seats. (2 and 1) I was hoping that there would still be enough room in the back between the two seat to fit another person.
    And I agree about the leather seats.
    Thanks again.
  • jones6095jones6095 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased one with a premium package and cd changer for $28,700 in GA. Was this a good deal? I, too, noticed the burning smell and was told that is the undercoating and should stop in a couple of days.
    Where did you buy the Montero Sport in GA? Was 28,700 out-the-door or before taxes?
  • umttgumttg Member Posts: 2
    Ad in the local paper said there is a rebate on the 2000 MS but have been unable to find any info about this on the auto sites. Anyone know the amount, expiration and restrictions?

Also, what have people been getting for lease rates on the 2000's? Thanks.
  • rogereldredgerogereldredge Member Posts: 13
    When I was purchased my Montero Sport XLS 2WD in late October ($29,200 out the door) there was a $1,000 rebate. However, you could not get that rebate and the O/O/0 financing. You had to pick which deal you wanted.

As far as I know, the rebate is still the same.
  • rlegererlegere Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Montero Sport XLS 4WD with the Premium Package (Great deal 30K plus tax & tag) I took the O/O/0 financing. I have 900 mi. on it. Since the day I drove it off the lot the car would shake above 50 mph. I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and discovered there's a service alert on this problem. I have to take it back to the dealer for a whole day so they can go over the car top to bottom and report what they find to Mitsubishi.

I want to know if anyone else has had this same problem. I really like the car except for this problem. Thanks
  • jojanellejojanelle Member Posts: 1
    Currently in the market for either a 2000 MS XLS or a 1999 big montero(if the deal is right). Need help determining what would be considered a very good deal this late in the year for the 1999 big montero, several postings (throughout the year)mentioned deals anywhere from $500 over to $100 under invoice price.
    Considering that there are still 1999's sitting on dealer's lot, how sweet of a deal can I negotiate????(what kind of deal would it take to make it to the "deal of the year" hall of fame list?)
    How bad would dealers want to get rid of 1999 stock when year 2000 is just a week away?
    I want to see if I can get the best of both worlds by getting a real good deal and still take advantage of the 0/0/0 promo which ends 1/03/00.
  • jones6095jones6095 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased this vehicle in Atlanta, and the price of $28,700 was before taxes, fees, etc.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    I started hearing the new Mitsu commercials today about 0 down and 0 payments until Jan 2001 for a new Mitsu. I currently have a Durango that's 2 years old with 50,000 miles that I'd love to replace.

My delema, do I replace an expensive truck that's only 2 years old. If I go for the Montero Sport it will be the 3rd new vehicle purchase I've made in 3 years. I think this could qualify me as a financial idiot. The purchase of the Durango already qualified me as a decision maker idiot.

What are some of the detials of the 0 down 0 payment deal? I also understand my local dealer is loaded with Sports to sell. I'd be in the market for a loaded version with the bigger engine. Any advice is appreciated.

Drew
  • jdlslljdlsll Member Posts: 1
    The beauty of the 0/0 is you can beat the upside down syndrome. You will not have any payments or interest for a year, right? So for the first year any payment you do make goes directly to the principal of the loan. Example: You purchase a MS XLS for $28,500. From now until Jan. 2001 you go ahead and make payments of $350 a month, even though no payments are due. When next January 2001 roles around you will have paid $4200 towards the principal (12 x $350). When your loan kicks in you will be paying on $24,300, which puts you right-side up after having the vehicle for a year. Better yet, put the $350 a month into an interest earning account over the next year. In December 2000, take the entire amount you have set aside, with interest, and make a lump-sum payment towards your note. All of your payment will go straight to the principal of the note, nothing being lost to interest to the bank. In other words, your given the opportunity to make your down payment over a years time.
    Your example sounds great to most but my idea would be to make no payments in 2000. Invest the cash from the Durango's sale and use whatever cash is there after the first year to help my pay off the Mitsu. I finance all my vehicles thru my own line of credit and have them paid off within 12 months.

The attraction of this deal to me is the time advantage on the money from the Durango but if it's in leu of giving up a $1,000 rebate it may not be as attractive as I thought. Althought I understand the local dealer is dealing aggresively.

Drew
  • skuiphoskuipho Member Posts: 1
    The Montero Sport borrows its motor and other drivetrain components from other vehicles with proven reliability. The 3.0L V6 is the same one that Mitsubishi uses in a variety of their other vehicles, with extrememly high reliability.

The new 3.5L V6 is only new to the Sport, as it is also shared with the full-size Montero and Diamante. Both have excellent reliability. I personally have a '95 Montero SR, with over 50K miles on it, and have had absolutely no problems with it, mechanically or otherwise.

Occasionally, you do hear someone grumping about something, but the problems seem to be few and far between. Mitsu had problems in the past ('80s into the early '90s) with their 4 cylinder motors blowing head gaskets, and their manual transmissions stripping syncros. However, I haven't heard any of these issues with the V6 motors or the newer transmissions.
  • fleetwfleetw Member Posts: 2
    2000 MS owners; have you noticed a high amount of drivers thinking you have your brights on? It is not a matter of height differential. Trucks and cars coming toward us and traveling in the same direction keep flashing me. Several jerks pull in behind us after we pass them and throw on their brights. It is really annoying.
    Our 2000 MS 2wd LS has 2400 miles and the smell is now weaker, but still there.
    We do not experience any shaking at all, but I am surprised at how much the MS gets moved around by light winds on the highway.
    I've rented Explorers and test drove a Pathfinder. In my opinion the Explorer is the best. It is solid and smooth, but I won't buy it because it is a Ford. The Pathfinder rode and handled better than the MS, but was not worth the additional $3000 above the MS
  • umttgumttg Member Posts: 2
    Local dealer said that you can't use the $1000 rebate and get the 6%(.0025 money factor) lease deal together. This is not what I have been told. Anyone know for sure? Please hurry, programs scheduled to end Jan 3.

Also, if "I sell mitsus" (or anyone else at the prices she listed above) is interested in selling me a base xls please contact me at umttg@hotmail.com. I've sent a couple of e-mails but not heard back. I've already been approved by Mitsu Credit.
  • rogereldredgerogereldredge Member Posts: 13
    I have not had any problems with others thinking I am using my bright lights.

Is it possible that your fog lights are turned on?
    They are fairly bright and only come on if the headlights are also turned on.
    Fog Lights? Good suggestion roger, so many people leave the fog lights on thinkning that it's okay. It's NOT, they are very annoying to many people, particularly those of us who wear contacts. They create alot of glare.

KEEP the fog lights OFF unless visability is poor due to weather. On otherwise clear nights the fog lights actually detract from the headlight illumination by lighting up the pavement just in front of the bumper.

But Hey - They look sooo cool when they are on.
    Drew
  • schertlerschertler Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to purchase a Montero Sport. I understand that a "fair" profit for the dealer is approx. 3%. Is it true that Mitsubishi charges the customer an additional 2% dealer holdback. Does that make the profit margin 5%? I am just wanting to know what to add to the Montero's invoice price to determine what a decent deal would be...can someone help? Needing to know by Monday. Thanks. Also, the dealer I am working with has an "additional" sticker on the window that shows an additional $500 or so and it is listed as "market adjustment"...is this legit? I am skeptical. Thank you...
  • fleetwfleetw Member Posts: 2
    My LS does not have fog lights. I'm thinking that the headlights need alignment. They probably could be adjusted down by about 10 or 15 degrees.

Schertler: My local dealer did not have a "market adjustment" charge, but he did have a $500 clear coat/protection package that I thought was bogus. He said he would give me the MS for $200 above invoice, but he wouldn't remove the $500 protection package cost. I wound up buying my MS from another dealer and he did not have any additional charges. Only what was on the factory sticker.
    Good for you! The paint protection is Bogus and glad to hear you walked from that dealer when they wouldn't take the charge off. Nice to see informed buyers out there.

Most dealers have abandoned that practice several years back. It's simply a way to get unwarranted profits. If the the protection were needed that would be one thing but it's not and a dealer should never force it on customers.

Drew
    If you are thinking about adding the 6-disc in-dash CD Changer, it fits in front of the transmission shifter, not under the stereo system as I and my dealer had thought. We ended up having to replace a piece of the dash around the radio from the tech scratching it up trying to installing it there.

Other than that , it works really well. The limited stereo system is one of the best I have ever heard. An even match to the Bose System.

Fuel economy with 2000 miles is 15.5 city, 18.5 Highway. Have had a highway trip only once.

I strongly recomend if you are thinking about buying the Sport, try the Limited with the 3.5 Litre engine, Power is way stonger than the 3.0 Litre and is offered without leather seats if that is a concern.

So far on problems. Only one. Had a vibration rattle under the dash at 2750 RPM and it was fixed by the dealer under warranty.

This is a 'NICE' vehicle. Check it out. The Sport does not get much praise from the critics reviews. Try one yourself and make your assumptions before you buy.
  • eric78eric78 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Chapel Hill and I am looking for a MS 2000 XLS 4WD. Does anyone live around the area that has found good pricing. I am going out this weekend to look.
  • ptwomblyptwombly Member Posts: 2
    in response to posting # 123, i too just purchased an xls 4wd and on the ride home
    found a similiar vibration right around 60 mph.
    i assumed the tires were in need of balance but maybe there is more to it?...
    also, my scooter has the california emissions
    package which lowers the hp and torque to that of a lawn tractor...can this be removed for an increase in performance? legaly? illegally?
  • mgettymgetty Member Posts: 1
    Ptwonbly, when you say vibration at 60mph, what do you mean by that? I own a 99 MS Limited also in CA and have repeatedly noticed that it seems like the whole inside of the car is shaking. I hear almost a constant rattling. I am not sure if this is normal for SUV's or what, but it is starting to drive me crazy. Is my description similar to what is happening on your end? Does anyone else have any info on this.

As far as removing the CA emission, forget it, whether it could done or not I don't know, but it would be highly illegal.
  • seggsegg Member Posts: 1
    is it too late for this deal? What kinds of deals did you get?
  • ptwomblyptwombly Member Posts: 2
    The shake i'm describing isn't an interior rattle as if something was loose but more of a
    "from the ground up" kind of shimmy or shudder...it's not to the extent of a 25 cent
    vibrating mattress in a cheap hotel but if you set a drink in the cup holder it makes waves...
    I don't think it's a "normal" situation for any vehicle...let alone bran spankin' new ones...
    thanks for the response
  • geoalmgeoalm Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Montero Sport LS 4WD with the keyless and preferred package for $400 above invoice. Can anyone tell me if this is fair. It's about 2-3% over invoice.

About the car insurance. My insurance went up $200 semi-annually with the Montero. I have Geico. I didn't think that was bad at all.
  • md2001md2001 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the market for a new SUV this summer and have was leaning towards the Nissan PF 2001 with all the upgrades. BUT then I went and test drove the 2000 MS Ltd. w/ leather option this weekend and that changed everything.

I can agree there is something with the vibration I noticed it at the 50-60mph range and asked the sales person. The response I got was with the weather changes (warm/cold) we have been having and the MS sitting on the lot that was causing the tires to seem harder or something. I chalked it up to need a better wheel balancing.

Someone posted earlier about higher insurance costs on the MS family and I checked out Progressive insurance vs my current Geico policy. With same coverage my policy would go up by about $120 per/year vs my current GMC Jimmy.

This is one tough looking smooth riding SUV that you really need the 3.5 Liter engine in.
    The 0/0/0 til 01 is going going until Feb if anybody was wondering.
  • ncpalehorsencpalehorse Member Posts: 1
    Eric78,

Greenlight.com has the 4x4 LTD for invoice $28,979 at the moment (leather is not included in this price). You also get a $500 rebate (from Greenlight) if you order by 1/19/00, so you're looking at a net of $500 under invoice. I'm not sure if you have to pay ad fees or not, but it's still a great deal.

Greenlight is only servicing a handful of east coast cities at the moment, but Greensboro, NC is one of them! I recently ordered an SR5 4x4 4Runner from them and they found my vehicle in a couple of days. I have had a very responsive sales rep and at this point I would strongly recommend their service, especially at this price.

Good luck to all the Montero Sport owners out there. I just ordered a 4Runner, but I think the Montero Sports are gorgeous (right behind 4Runner of course) and may offer a little more options for the money.

The only thing to consider when comparing the Montero Sport LTD. to the 4Runner LTD. is that the 4Runner LTD. has a full time 4wd system. Whereas the Montero Sport and 4Runner SR5 utilize the less sophisticated part time 4wd system, which is not recommended for dry/semi-dry pavement. Aside from that, both seem like big winners to me!

Enjoy!
  • reddogsreddogs Member Posts: 353
    Just some thoughts/comments on the
    various dealers/vehicles I've dealt with:

The Montero Sport is great but check out the service department then the SUV's. I've had salesman blow sunshine all over me when I was buying, but when I had a problem I was number #666Y2K in the waiting line. My buddy is a Mercedes mechanic, and owners get down on their knees and teary eye when he tells them he MIGHT be able to SCHEDULE them in the coming months, since the dealers can't. My brother has a BMW and they want a small fortune
    just to look at it much less actually fix it, its
    still sitting out on his front lawn, while his new Honda takes him to work and play.

"If you're looking into the Passport, you might
    want to consider the Isuzu Rodeo" but don't. They
    are made by Isuzu in their Indiana plant for
    Honda. Identical in every way. Except Isuzu
    dealers haven't developed one thing - Service...
    "Isuzu offers a better warranty and
    is cheaper to buy or lease." Until their dealers
    measure up, they have to..... Mitsubishi Montero
    Sports seem to have transmission problems but the
    dealers are mainly new or just starting up so it's
    hard to tell how good their service will be. As
    for the Nissan Pathfinder/& or XTerra look out for
    transmission or head gasket nightmares down the
    road, and I got thrown off a Nissan lot just for ASKING about the service to my vehicle (yes I actually owned a few). Toyota's are " bullet proof", they never die. I've got rid of a few when they got past 100,000 miles because I was use to GM vehicles, imagine when I saw them later with a tuneup and with a fresh coat of paint driving just like new.

When you buy a vehicle, the dealer/service come
    with it and at least down here in FLA, TOYOTA &
    HONDA give the best service and then there's
    the rest.
  • giordano1giordano1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montero Sport LTD for sale...Unfortunately, I am moving due to a military orders.
    This vehicle has 1000 miles on it and was purchased at the end of October.
    Color is red with leather. Completely loaded.
    Contact me at hokies@prodigy.net if interested.
  • aidan2aidan2 Member Posts: 2
    I just saw a sport LS with leather seats at a parking lot in Dallas, TX. I did not know you can get a LS 2wd with leather package.
    If the LS Montero Sport has leather it is aftermarket leather. If you do purchase make sure that you are given a warranty on the leather for a reasonable amount of time to prevent cracking or the seams coming loose.
  • rkocchirkocchi Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 97 Grand Caravan AWD. It has needed 2 transmissions in the last seven months. I am considering a 2000 Rodeo or a Montero Sport. The Rodeo warranty is exciting, especially with my Dodge experiences. The Montero doesn't have the warranty but seems substantial. Any ideas?
  • cartexcartex Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any insight on the Montero Endeavor. Pls contact me.
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    Look at this link http://www.jerrystoyota.com/mitsubishi/newcars/Montero/index.htm there is some information. I think that this one will be build in the Normal Illinois Plant in 2003-4
    At 3000 miles.

Fuel Economy: City - 14.5 to 16 Avg 15.5
    HWY - 18.5 to 20 Avg 19.25

Repairs: Fixed vibration rattle under dash. Covered under warranty. No other problems. No rattles, squeaks, or shimmys. Tight and smooth.

One observation. The running boards have an opening of about 2" in the middle for drainage. On dirt, gravel, or snowy roads, the debris comes up and accumulates at the back part of the running board, thus pitting and scratching that end piece. My choice would be not to have the opening.

Want to mention another time. The Limited with the 3.5 litre motor does not shift down on hills! We went to a ski lodge, 5 people with gear, uphill in a 30mph headwind and it still does not shift down. Seems to have good torque and/or it is possibly just a smart tranny.
  • moonpupmoonpup Member Posts: 1
    Black with gold trim, 3.5 engine (like all Limiteds), tan leather, CD player, 2wd, Auto trans, 8,900 miles, oil changed twice, 7500 mile service, moonroof, pinstripe, always garaged, never smoked in, no kids, pets or abuse! perfect. no problems with shakes, shimmys or vibrations! this is a GOOD one! entertaining offers at mitsu@waveformhq.com

private party, original owner
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Member Posts: 29
    In the process of buying a MS Limited w/leather. Sticker Price is $31,597 with destination charge. I faxed an offer of $28,500 ($150 under the dealer invoice cost of $28,666) to the sales manager of four dealerships. I explained I wanted the 2.9% financing (no 0-0-0 or $1,000 Rebate). Three of the dealerships responded by phone call and faxed back a counter-offer. Two were exactly the same price of my offer, the third was $160 over my offer. I visited the fourth dealer and showed him the other offers, they claimed that they would beat the best offer I got. Can anyone out there tell me if they got a better deal? If so, please give me the name of the dealership and the salesperson to call. With New Orleans sales tax, title & license the drive-out price of my MS Ltd w/leather will be $31,500. My only problem is no dealers in the State of Louisiana have a Red Limited, so I have to wait for one to come in.

Under my offer the dealer is still making out like a bandit. His profit looks like this: $600 holdback (2%), $600 Flooring(2%), $350 Advertising Association fee returned, $750 per unit incentive for every vehicle sold during the month (after 10 units sold), $1,000 factory incentive (matches the rebate on the vehicle), and a portion of my $1,000 (probably $500) rebate that was used to get the 2.9% financing. You get to choose one of the following: 0-0-0 w/8.9% loan, $1,000 Rebate w/ 6.9% loan, or 2.9% loan financing for 48 months.

I phrased the offer such that it appears to be a 50/50 proposition. I saved $2,700 off the sticker price, the dealers has an opportunity to make $2,700. It appears to have worked.
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Member Posts: 29
    It is the tires. There is another Montero Sport Bulletin Board at www.montero-sport.com with lengthy discussions by MS owners. Check it out.

Not only is it the Yokahoma brand but the size of the tire itself. The problem seems to be only on 1999 vehicles though. What I have gotten from technicians at two dealerships is that the profile of the tire is too short and wide for the rim size. If you replace the tire with a taller profile this will automatically reduce the width problem. Should you keep the same tires, you need to have the alignment set at a negative toe-in or caster. This will move the tire out a bit and assist in reducing tire vibration.

This is not a problem on the 2000 MS since Mitsubishi has went to a 16 inch rim. Mitsubishi went so far as to begin installing Bridgestone tires on all 2000 MS as well, because of the negative feelings on the Yokahoma tires.
  • wilson21wilson21 Member Posts: 2
    This may sound strange, but we usually put our back right window down for our dog, and the air coming in feels like our ear drums are going to blow out from pressure or what we dont know??????
    It's like a thumping in our ear, but obviously difficult to describe. Has anyone else experienced the same thing at all???