Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero Sport

Comments

• verypickyverypicky Member Posts: 4
    bigeasyal:

I was driving a 1986 Toyota 4runner for 14 years. What a great vehicle!
  • bigeasyalbigeasyal Member Posts: 29
    That it explains it!

4runners have rack & pinion steering while the montero sport has recirculating ball joint steering. This will produce a very different feel. Rack & pinion steering is a very active driving design. It allows the driver to have a feel for the road and is why it is so popular in sports cars. Recirculating ball steering systems are the most common type and are easier to steer, because they don't require active driving.

Try this. If making a turn in a reciculating type vehicle you do not have to actively turn the steering wheel back to a straight position. The steering wheel will slide very easily back to a straight position. However, in a rack and pinion system you must, almost have to, steer the vehicle back to a straight. It will eventually come back to a straight position if left alone, but by the time it does you have rolled over the curb or another vehicle.
    bigeasyal:

No that doesn't explain it. 86 4runner still had recirculating ball. I've driven plenty of cars with recirculating ball that did not produce this feeling. It feels like the tension in the steering box is improperly adjusted or a piece of linkage with to much play.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Towing: I tow a boat that weighs around 2000 lb. Does a fine job.

Filter: I have installed a K&N air filter, and it does seem to help. I also drilled holes on the front pod in front of the air filter box to let more air in.

Steering: I too have this vibration. It is a lot better than the pre 2000 models. They were worse yet. Mitsubishi did put an extra rubber washer/bushing on the 2000 models to help this out, but it still does it. Just going to have to live with it.
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    "Try this. If making a turn in a reciculating type
    vehicle you do not have to actively turn the steering wheel back to a straight position. The steering wheel will slide very easily back to a straight position. However, in a rack and pinion system you must, almost have to, steer the vehicle back to a straight. It will eventually come back to a straight position if left alone, but by the time it does you have rolled over the curb or another vehicle."

(Drm) bigeasyal, from what I observed, rear-wheel-drive vehicles (or 4WD with the rear as the primary drive) has good straight-ahead return, thus following the road after releasing your hands at the apex of the corner. This is true regardless if it is rack-and-pinion or recirculating type.

On front wheel drive cars, the wheels does not necessarily follow the road because the straight-ahead return is affected by how much you sink your foot on the gas pedal. If you gas it, there is less tendency to return to straight ahead position. If you don't, it tends to follow the road. On rear-wheel-drive cars, steering return is not affected by your gas pedal. Incidentally, most front-wheel-drive cars has rack-and-pinion steering.
  • explexpl Member Posts: 1
    I saw on Chinese CCTV4 yesterday that a brand new Mitsubishi SUV's windshield self exploded and caused FATALITY. Mitsubishi was hold liable for the accident.
    (But I'm not sure it's a montero or montero sport.)
  • mysportmysport Member Posts: 19
    I purchased a new 2000 Sport LS in July and ever since then a popping sound has occurred when I turn corners or go over bumps. I'm having it serviced at a different dealer from where I bought it for convenience. They told me the rear hatch would have to be repaired by an auto body shop under warranty and that I may have to bring it back to where I bought it to have this fixed. Why can't they replace the rear hatch? Will I ever be made whole if the repairs are done and it is no longer like new. Aside from this, I love the vehicle but want to be sure of my rights. Is it considered a lemon? We have lemon laws in my state (MA) Anyone with ideas, please let me know.

Missaligned in Mass.
    At 11,000 miles.

No problems. Had it in for inspection. Everything checked out great. My dealership has been hounding me to get it in so they could check it out. I finnaly did after I got a phone call from Mitsubishi headquarters, also asking me to take it in. Never had any auto manufacture do that, and I have had many.

Mileage the last three tank fulls. 17.5, 18, 18.1. Has been averaging this summer around 18 on 70/30 city/hwy driving. Been pleased with fuel economy.

One complaint on the automatic transmission. It shifts smoooooooth, but too smooth. It kinda slips into the next gear. Not crisp like most other automatics. So, when you are hard on the throttle, it kind of winds up and pops into the next gear. Other than that it works great.

I still am impressed with how quiet and nice riding this vehicle is. I have driven several SUV's. and owned a 4-Runner, and I still rate the Sport as one of the best.

I am surprised at how low this vehicle rates when a comparison test is done by groups. It has comfortable seats and rear passengers have great leg room. Don't go by what manufactures brochures state, because where they measure from is not all the same. For example, the 4-Runner states that it has 1 inch more leg room than the Sport. When you sit in it yourself, you will find that this is not so. The Sport has more rear leg room than most SUV's in its class.

If you are thinking about buying a SUV, don't get in a rush. Do your homework and do test drives.

Power from the Sport's 3.5 is good.

And I still feel that a frame is better for towing anything. Especially if you do a lot and plan to have a vehicle for a while. That is why I ruled out the Pathfinder and some of the other SUV's with unibody construction. That includes big brother 2001 Montero.
  • atm_momatm_mom Member Posts: 1
    This isn't the safest of vehicles, according to test performed. Furthermore, the repairs on the Montero Sport vs. other SUVs tested in crash tests show that the Montero has the worst results and the repair bill was higher than others. I am just returning my sport under the lease from MMCA. Furthermore, if you do go for a Sport, and lease through MMCA - make sure you know what you are signing up for. They are all really friendly at the dealership, but when you try and return a vehicle early, don't expect the same treatment. I was recently told by one of their representatives that he didn't work in customer service and didn't have to speak to me accordingly. He was being quite rude and I asked him not to use that tone with me, and when I asked to speak to his supervisor he repeatedly told me that it was not a supervisor issue and denied my request over and over until I finally hung up on him. To be honest, I loved my Sport. But these experiences can sure leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Now that I have encountered this experience, I would never want to deal with Mitsubishi again. Good luck!
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    Crash test results are not that out of the ordinary. They are more/less in line with others. Costs repair are higher, however, you will fill if accidents was your fault.
    One thing is disturbing though, the attitude of the Mitsubishi reps. I fyou leased through them, you should know phone numbers to the MMSA office in California and you should complain strongly on the phone, e-mail and regular mail. Reps like that should be weed out. According to the MMC policy, he could not refuse to switch you to his supevisor. Even though their product is good, they are getting bad publicity due to the employee screw ups. Contact MMSA and let them know your feelings. Maybe it is late in your case, however, all complaints may help others.
    I noticed a few changes on the 2001 MS Sport.

First, the EPA Mileage figure has increased. 1 mpg Hwy rating on the 3 litre, 17/21. 1 & 2 mpg City/Hwy rating on the 3.5 litre, 16/20. I do not know for sure if the gear ratio has changed, but some reports show that they have not.

Some new color choices on the XLS nodels. LTD dropped Red and Green and replaced them with Silver and Beige.

The LTD now has wood grain dash and wood grain around the window controls.

Price has gone up around 200.00 I last reported that the price on a LTD was up $1200, but for 2001 the LTD has leather seats as standard. So that is the $1000 difference.

One other Item. There is a new model coming out that most sites have not reported. It's something like an XE that will have the 3.5 litre motor in it. I think it is going to be an XLS model with the bigger motor. But it could be like a LTD model with no leather. Don't know for sure yet.
    Another thing is that 2001 Sport models are LEV.
  • golfball7golfball7 Member Posts: 3
    I took my Montero Sport to the dealer and they quickly found the problem. There was too much freon in the AC. They took it out, re-did it and got the right amount in the AC. The virbration is gone, the AC works great and I am happy. If you are having this problem, have the dealer check the compression gas in your AC, it just may be too high! :) And by the way, in answer to the person who does not like the looks of the Montero Sport - People stop me wherever I park and ask to see my XLS 2000 Montero Sport. Several friends are going to the dealer to see if they can get one. They are extremely popular and are the fastest growing segment of SUV in the USA. Glad I bought mine!!!
  • vac23vac23 Member Posts: 118
    Are you going around to every meassge board to complain about your Galant and mitsu???? give it up already. I have a 00 Galant w/no problems & my bro has a 99 Galant w/no problems. Right now I am looking to get a MS LS so your opinion (you are entitled to it) won't sway me.
    I own three mitsu vehicles, a 1990 galant with 165,000 miles and a 1995 galant with 67,000 miles. Now added to that is the 2K MS Limited now with 17,000+ miles. The only problem I have ever had with anything was a relay switch on the A/C motor of the 1995 galant. This repair cost me $35.00 at the dealership.

Other than routine replacements such as tires and belts every 60,000 to 65,000 miles; oil change, tire balance, rotate, alignment every 5,000 miles; tune-ups, wiper blades, radiator flush every 20,000 to 25,000 miles; and battery replacement about every 3 years; these vehicles just don't require a lot of repairs. The secret is though, You have to be religious about maintenance. You have to change the oil and rotate tires, and such as recommended.

I use Firestone as my routine maintenance place. Now I know Firestone is getting a bad rap right now for the Ford Tire problem, but that is tires and I am talking about service work. The reasons I choose Firestone are: 1) they are nation-wide and if I am out of town and need service work I can stop at any store. 2) they offer coupon specials every month to those customers that apply for and/or have a Firestone credit card. Oil changes cost me $12.99 with the monthly coupon. 3) they offer a lifetime tire maintenance program for around $179.00 this program gives me lifetime alignments, tire rotation, spin balance tires every 5,000 miles for the life of the vehicle. The cost of having this done just one time is around $75.00 at the dealership. and 5) when you initially purchase your montero sport, if it comes with Bridgestone tires. You can get a lifetime road hazard policy for each tire for about $7.00. This road hazard policy will repair or replace your tires for as long as you own the vehicle should they get punctured or damaged.
    This is a great deal. No matter what vehicle you purchase you may want to consider checking out the Firestone stores.

BigEasyAl@hotmail.com
    golfball7 I have also noticed this annoying noise from the AC. I provided your suggestion to the service department. They are ordering a replacement compresser. I guess I'm not as lucky. I'm still unhappy with the vibration in the steering over bumpy roads. The service manager is suppose to check with Mit next week.
  • jcorrea1jcorrea1 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my 2000 Montero Sport Limited in June and have also experienced a "popping" noise from the rear hatch. The noise could be heard on bumps and left turns. After three visits to the dealer's service department they determined that a faulty hatch hinge (on the driver's side) was causing the problem. Since replacing the hinge, although the noise does not occur as often, now the noise can be heard primarily on bumps and right hand turns. I am still searching for a solution to my problem.
    Though its good to hear that others are experiencing the same issue I'm troubled by the fact that the cause is still uncertain. I tried wedging a piece of foam rubber in various positions of the door and the sound continues. This leads me to believe that perhaps its something in the hatch itself? Hard plastic pieces banging around? Did anyone explain in detail what the sound is? I just don't see metal against metal here. Its not a sound I can get used to.
    I also thought I was hearing a popping noise in the rear of my new 2000 MS limited. Come to find out it was the spare tire that is mounted under the rear cargo area. The chain that holds the spare tire had some slack in it and the tire was not all the way up. This caused the tire to shift on turns and make a popping noise as it shifted back to its position. You may wish to lower your spare tire all the way down and then raise it back into position. This procedure took care of my problem. BigeasyAl@hotmail.com
  • chris822chris822 Member Posts: 1
    OK. I just purchased a new 2000 LS 2wd with the security package as well as the preferred option package. It originally listed for 26,800. We were able to get the dealership down to 24,400 on the truck and we took the 3.9% financing for 60 months as well. I figured that the financing would save us approx. 1700 throughout the 60 months, thus bringing the total price of the truck down to 22,700. Has anyone gotten a deal out there similar to this, or did I get taken?

Also we were surprised to find out that the LS model does not come with the rear cargo area shade. So we told them to throw that in to.

Performance:
    I was aware that the truck has not been given the best marks in acceleration; however I feel that it is fine in the less mountainous areas. My wife and I drove it through the mountains of West Virginia last week and found that it was a little short on power. My suggestion is that if you live in mountainous areas such as this, you may want to look at the 3.5L or a Ford Explorer (without Firestone tires).

Other than exceleration, we are very pleased with the ride on MS. It drives much more like a car than the 4runner, Durango, and exterra. I would say that the explorer is closest to it in ride and comfort; however with an explorer you are paying at least 4,000 more for the same vehicle.
    In addition to replacing the hatch hinge, my three visits to the service department included the following attempts to locate the noise: they pulled apart the interior panels in the cargo area and the hatch, checked the spare tire, adjusted the door stops, etc. Since my last post (Sept. 2), the noise has become more frequent. I have found that when driving with the hatch in the up position, the noise is nonexistent. I plan to check my spare tire again tomorrow.
    Hey Chris,

I found it odd that you quoted the price for the LS with both packages at $26,800. I don't know what part of the country you are in but the list price for the LS in the Southeastern US is as follows:

Base $24,777
    Destination $ 495
    Pref. Pack $ 755
    Security $ 305

Total MSRP $26,332

Dealer Invoice $22,535
    Destination $ 495
    Pref. Pack $ 505
    Security Package$ 250
    Ad Assoc. Fee $ 646

Total Invoice $24,431

You stated you got the vehicle for $24,400, that was pretty good. I hope that tax, title, and license was all that they added. Sometimes they attempt to add bogus items such as undercoating, fabric protection, customer satisfaction survey fees, etc.. If that was the case, you got screwed. You should never pay for anything more than the negotiated price, plus sales tax, and no more than $125.00 for title and license fees. Any other fee, charge, or adder is just additional profit to the dealer. Even if you do get something for the fee, it is usually too high for what you are getting or totally unnecessary.

Any questions or comments on purchasing a 2000 MS send to BigEasyAl@hotmail.com

P.S. I am not a dealer or salesperson, just a happy Mitsu owner.
    If the sound doesn't occur when the hatch is open, it should pretty much rule out the spare tire theory. Nice thought though. Also, it was helpful to rule out the "inside the hatch" theory which I recently pointed out to my service professional. I don't want unnecessary body work done if, as the gentleman points out, the sound will continue.

As for pricing that LS 2wd, Yikes! I paid around 22.5 for my 2000 LS 4wd in July.
  • KicKMan1KicKMan1 Member Posts: 45
    Verypicky

Don't be conned into thinking that the steering problem is all in your head; or that you're really used to a different vehicle. Some Mitsu owners can't seem to exercise enough objectivity to believe that it's possible, just possible that Mitsubishi does not have a fix for this problem. Many others, including myself, have discovered this defect; have taken it to our dealers and have been very displeased with the lack of a remedy and a similar lack of response from Mitsubishi. At this juncture, Mitsubishi blames the tires (Yokohama in many cases), while Yokohama--you guessed it--blames Mitsubishi. This is very similar to the way Firstone is blaming Ford and vice versa for the defective tire tragedies. There are a dozen or so owners who have had enough and are unwilling to be a Mitsubishi statistic. They, including myself, are consulting with an attorney to address the issue.

I'd consider taking some serious action regarding this problem because it apparently isn't going to get any better.

Ron Baker
    consumer_action@hotmail.com
  • pinoy3pinoy3 Member Posts: 1
    How do you reset the alarm on a 99 Montero Sport? Just got the suv last Monday and we don't have the transmitters for the alarm. A member of the family forgot to turn off the lights. We replaced the dead battery and installed a new one, but the car won't start because of the alarm.

Dad called the dealer. The service tech told him, to unlock and lock the passenger door to reset alarm, but the alarm didn't reset. We will eventually get the transmitters if their isn't any other way of resetting the alarm.
  • dropappledropapple Member Posts: 1
    Hi, i am really to buy a 2000 MS LS trim with all the options. I went to three dealers around my area. They all offer around 26600 and it seems to be non-negotiable. That is 1000 over the invoice. How can you guy get such a good deal? I know there is a 2000 rebate but I don't think it should be count into the invoice since the rebate has nothing to do with the dealer.
  • subtropicalsubtropical Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I'm new to this site but have spent all afternoon reading posts on various boards.

I am in the market for a new SUV, in Southern California, and I want to get some preliminary info before I go in for test drives & negotiations. Besides the mid-range Explorer and Montero Sport 4WD trims, I'm also going to be looking at the 4Runner (although it's almost certainly more expensive than I'm looking too spend) and the Honda Passport (although I'm not too excited by the whole Isuzu / Honda situation).
    I will mostly be driving city, but plan to do some off-roading and I do go camping and stuff.

Have any of you had experience comparing the Montero Sport 4WD to the Explorer? Have advice on specific things to look for / test out on the test drives? What are the worst problems facing the Montero Sport? (I've seen some horror stories on the Explorer transmissions). For anyone that lives in the LA area, were there any problems with maintenance or service or customer service at any of the dealerships?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

My Background: My sister has a 95 Explorer base model (XS?) which I have driven a lot and I used to have a 1990 Mitsu Gallant. Neither vehicle has / has had any service problems to date (although we had a very nasty time dealing with Mitsu customer service when the lease was up...The car was sitting on the lot (Florida) and three months later their corporate office was calling us saying we hadn't turned it in, and then once they found it they tried to charge us for damages that had accrued after it had been turned in,but that's another story...). With the Explorer, I've never been off-roading, but I did notice that the ride got kinda bumpy simply driving on an unpaved street.

I'm gonna post this on the Ford board too just to see what they say.
    How can anywone send you advice if you don't give an email address for anyone to respond to? Please scroll up on this board and read post number 326!

I can send you a ton of data to help you negotiate the best deal. But you need to provide me with the data necessary for me to send you the information. Had you provided an email address in your post you would already have the data.

BigEasyAl@hotmail.com
    My local service people and an autobody shop are spending a few days with my 2000 ls sport. Hopefully they will figure out the case of the popping sound without causing more damage. They put me in a rental (a sub-compact) for $10 more per day I decided to try the 2001 Montero. It feels big and quite a bit more powerful then my sport. I wasn't crazy about the braking feel, then again, its a rental and was probably abused during its 6K lifetime. Who knows how long I'll need to be in this vehicle.
  • chikungchikung Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my wife and I have been shopping around
    for a SUV. The SUV's we test drove were the;

2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport:
    Not as nice as the Nissan ride but, for the money its an excellent vehicle. More room in the Montero than the other vehicles. The interior features are basic but put together with quality.
    With the low interest rates until October 2nd this is the SUV to buy. Haven't drove the chevy SUV's but owning a 1994 Chevy Pickup with 240,000
    miles this could also be an option. At least my truck is 'built like a rock'.

2000 Dodge Durango:
    Very nice interior options that can be added but, rides as rough as a jeep on side of an
    unpaved mountain side. Poor suspension and cooling
    system. Also need salesmen who know what suspension means.

2000 Mercury Mountaineer:
    Excellent ride, nice interior better suspension than the Durango. Mercury was unable to meet my wife's requirements of a cloth interior. Needs to find a reliable supplier for tires, other than Firestone.

2000 Ford Explorer:
    Rough riding, not as bad as the Durango. Tires made a squeally noise. Ford has
    extremely poor customer service and the mechanics
    at Ford couldn't tell the difference between a
    good tire and a bad tire if it shredded right in front of them.

2001 Nissan Pathfinder:
    Excellent car, interior comfort was low budget. Standard features with Bose stereo system and excellent suspension are a plus. Even though, the car is the quickest around still not offering any special financing.
    They said my sport would be ready today and that they replaced the rear-hatch hydraulics which suspend the hatch open. They also replaced the hinges. The service manager wasn't entirely confident the sound will go away though. The service people at Mitsu are being terrific about this, it may just be the vehicle (a lemon?). With the hydaulics not connected, the sound stopped. With the hatch open the sound goes away too. It came back when they replaced the hydraulics so it appears to be a combination of the pressure applied by the hydraulics and the position of the hatch itself. The saga continues.....
  • ken_in_austinken_in_austin Member Posts: 7
    Hello all,

I have a beautiful, Royal Blue/Sudan Beige MS Ltd 2WD for sale. Leather, CD, ABS, 3.5L V6, <27000 miles. Love it, just trying to 'lighten my load'. Asking price is $22,000. Check out pictures at <A HREF="http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~kjmoore/montero.htm">http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~kjmoore/montero.htm

Thanks,

Ken
    mailto:ken_in_austin@hotmail.com
    Mysport,

Please let me know if your service dept. has any success with the "popping" noise. Since I last posted, I have not made any attempt to solve the problem. I plan to take it back to the dealer when I get a chance. It certainly isn't a noise that I am content to live with.
  • mnguyen2mnguyen2 Member Posts: 1
    Dropapple & Subtropical,

You don't have to provide your email address to anybody on this post. You should be very wary when people are asking for your email address to send you valuable "information". If BigEasyAl want to share his "ton of data", he could do everybody a favor and post it here. Otherwise, don't be surprise when your mailbox are filled with junks ...

Safe surfing ...
    Mike
    They solved my missalignment problem!!! Yeah!! I waited a few days to be sure, but up my bumpy driveway and not a sound. It took replacing the hydraulic arms, hinges and all hatch stoppers but it worked. My thanks to the terrific guys at Danvers Mitsubishi!! It took a week of effort though. Hurry and secure the parts necessary to fix this. I have a feeling they'll be a run on them. My crew needed to go to NH to get parts. I'm soooo happy.
    Mike,
    I agee that you don't have to provide your email address. However, when you ask such specific questions and wish to get it, it would help those of us who can truly help to provide the data to them specifically. Did you read my suggestion to Dropapple and Suptropical, to go to post #326? Did you yourself go to post #326? I challenge you to send me a direct email at BigEasyAl@hotmail.com

The valuable information and ton of data are several Microsoft Word documents and several Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets and scanned copies of actual dealer invoices for each and every model of the montero sport. In total it is 28 pages of data for each of the seven models of the montero sport (ES 2wd, LS 2wd, LS 4wd, XLS 2wd, XLS 4 wd, Limited 2 wd, and Limited 4wd) When you add to that the fact that each model line has either a preferred package, premium package, or leather seating package the permiatation goes from seven to thirteen, each with 28 pages of data, comparisons to other SUV models, purchase negotiation letters, a listing of all the mitsubishi dealers in every state, etc. Do the math Mike, 28 pages of data times 13 permiatations equals 364 pages of data. In my own words, "valuable information, and a ton of data". To post that much information on this site is impossible.

I bought my new 2000 MS Limited for $350 under invoice, and got the factory trailer hitch/wire harness installed, front bug guard and sunroof wind deflector installed, rear gargo net and husky rear gargo liner, wheel locks, two additional transponder ignition keys, and additional alarm remote control unit, leather seat cleaner and conditioner, and 6 oil changes; in all about $1,500 worth of extra's for just $500.

If people wish to post questions on the board and are willing to take whatever advice that "might" come, that's there choice. I just suggested that they read my post #326 and either provide an email address with their post or email me directly. I am not afraid to help, and I have almost always given my email address with my post.

See for yourself, if I don't have a ton of data! Email me directly and ask for data on any 2000 model Montero Sport and then prepare to make a retraction on your post # 368. If you honestly think that the information I will provide to you is not valuable, you can say so on this board and I will never post on this board again. But on the other hand, if you do see the merits of the data I send, please be man enough to say so.

BigEasyAl@hotmail.com

P.S. Mike, this is the type of response that should not be made on this board. And is exactly why I am a proponent of those that make specific comments or ask specific questions to post there email address. Why should everyone in the world have to read this, when it is specifically ment only for you. Go read post #284, #271, and 269 also.
  • newvehicle1newvehicle1 Member Posts: 1
    If I can reach but one person, I've saved them alot of hassle. Stay away from Riverside Mitsubishi in Auburn, MA. I purchased a 2001 montero sport ltd. Love it, it's great. However customer service at this dealership is terrible.
    They have no equipment to inspect your vehicle and their service dept. has no equipment. They fail to tell you this once they "get their sale"!
    They won't even pay for the inspection or give you a loaner car (due to front end alignment that they need to do). You drop 30,000 plus and not even a lousy drive up the street to get the vehicle inspected. This along with the arrogance of the salesman, general manager and the owner make for an unpleasant experience. Requested my car be cleaned on the inside and salesman states " you don't want that shiny shi* in your vehicle". Who's he to judge what I want after having brought a brand new vehicle. The owner knows he has an unhappy customer and doesn't even care. Whatever happenned to the customer is always right? Oh well stay away, that's the best advice I can give....
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XS is now available. Here's the direct link to First Drive: 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport XS, by Ed Hellwig. What do you think?

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • bigdog44bigdog44 Member Posts: 1
    I just came off a nine-day experience with a rental Montero Sport (it only had 300 miles when I got it) and was really disappointed with the vehicle (my vehicle got rear ended and was in the shop)...and we had considered it a candidate in making our purchase. Just thought I would remind all that it is never a bad idea to either take the vehicle for the weekend, if the dealer will let you, or rent one for a few days.

I'm not here to bash MS, praise another vehicle or give my assessment in more detail...so much of that is individual preference...but I was just surprised that, after what I have read out here, my wife and I found so much to dislike about the MS, and thought I would forward this caveat- spend some time with it before you buy it!!!
  • dnap1dnap1 Member Posts: 4
    when accelerating with my ac on from 2000 to 3000
    rpm the engine vibrates and is loud like it is whining anyone else with this problem
    I plan to take it to the dealer as soon as I
    get a chance.
    This started at 300 miles
  • golfball7golfball7 Member Posts: 3
    I answered your question earlier. I took my XLS 2000 Sport in with the same problem. They checked it and found that I had too much compression gas in my AC. They took it all out, put it in at the right level and the problem disappeared completely. Tell them to check your freon level. I bet that is your problem. Let me know if that works. My email address miligausa@netscape.net
  • alext57alext57 Member Posts: 1
    My Montero Sport came with AM/FM radio with single CD and i would like to upgrade it.
    Any suggestions on CD changers?
    Congratulations on your purchase! Did you buy 2000 or 2001 Sport?
  • woohoowoohoo Member Posts: 2
    Just looking around on the web for Montero stuff. Last nite I came home with a 2000 Montero Sport XLS. Absolutely LOVE IT!

I did all my homework, then test drove a Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer and this one. Took it home overnite (good way to get a buyer addicted!), and bought it the next afternoon.

The Jeep was too narrow and the Ford - well, it just didn't do anything for me. Also considered a 4Runner (too expensive for what you get and it's less powerful).

I've owned Nissan's for years (cars), and I'm truly faithful, but hate the Pathfinder - the way it drives (same comment on the 4Runner price/value), and the XTerra was too small and drove similar to the Pathfinder.

Anyway, I feel like it's Christmas! If I'm paying this kind of money for a vehicle....
    I WANT TO LOVE TO DRIVE IT! Woooooo Hooooo!
  • woohoowoohoo Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2000 4WD XLS last nite and paid 21K (at the dealer).

Don't know what model the 00 your looking at is, but see it's also a 2WD. You might want to call your bank - on-line pricing is not right for 00's but my bank had the right info. I know, because I just went through this yesterday.

The wholesale on mine was 20,6somthing, and the retail was almost 24K. If you look it up for mine on the internet it gives much higher (not updated or mileage considering) pricing.
    So, call the bank. :)
  • ken_in_austinken_in_austin Member Posts: 7
    Hi again,

Got no response from my first post. I don't want to spam, but I really need to sell. This is the last time I'll post on this forum:

I have a beautiful, Royal Blue/Sudan Beige Montero Sport Limited 2WD for sale. Leather, CD, ABS, 3.5L V6, http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~kjmoore/montero.htm

If you're not very close to Austin, we could work out something fair on the delivery side.

Thanks,

Ken
    mailto:ken_in_austin@hotmail.com
  • mysport1mysport1 Member Posts: 3
    So I just bought a Montero Sport XLS 4WD. During the two weeks I've had it, the 4WD indicator light flashes intermittently. First Friday nite when I stopped for gas. Monday a.m. at cold start. Tuesday a.m. at cold start. Thursday a.m.at cold start. When I took it to dealer they could not find any error codes. At no time have I moved the 4WD lever out of 2WD. Has anyone heard of this problem?
  • dnap1dnap1 Member Posts: 4
    How much do cargo covers cost for the 2000 sport
    Cargo Cover from the dealership is around $120 - $150. Shop around by calling other dealership's parts departments and asking for the price.

A second option is www.magauto.com They sell original factory parts at a discount.
  • redfd15redfd15 Member Posts: 4
    I'm going to buy either a 4Runner Limited or a Montero Sport Limited very soon. Is saving about 5 grand with the MS and better finance offers worth it over Toyota reliability and other 4Runner options like power seats and the disappearing rear glass? Please help! Thanks