Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Best vehicle for $40,000

Comments

• ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    A GS 300 is $50,000+. An Acura TL is $32,000. My brother has zero issues with drivetrain on his 05 TL, and no dash fading. He has no idea what anybody means by harmonic vibration with his car - he doesn't notice anything. The seat bottom side bolsters are a bit hard but I'd think they'll soften up over the years of getting in and out of the car. But they aren't cheap.

I'd love a GS but would take a 06 TL in a heartbeat.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    You could get a Passat 3.6 for under 40K. This would be loaded with all the extra “stuff” and is rated at 28mpg for the highway (was it just highway or average that needed to be 28mpg?). You would even have the option of AWD if so desired.

It’s only available in automatic so that may influence your decision; although it still achieves 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 mile in 14.3 @ 101.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    The only problem is VW reliability, or lack of same recently.
    Consumer Reports had a “recommended” for it in 03, so it probably was pretty good…or not bad at some point.

This model is totally new so who knows how it will compare.
  • bigdave2bigdave2 Member Posts: 40
    I know you guys have more ideas
    For 40K I would do a 330i on European Delivery. My ideal 330i comes in under 40K. 330i, leather seats, sport package, Sirius.
    keep those ideas coming!!!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    A new fully loaded to the gills '06 Lincoln LS can be had for under $36k, according to carsdirect. At $11k off sticker, I'd say that's a heck of a deal. I'm not sure you can get any other luxo vehicle with a V8 and NAV for that kind of money.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

yes, but will it give me 28 mpg?

does it meet the other "specs"?
    qbrozen,

The recent Ford Motor Company announcements about 14 plant closings and of 30,00 layoffs, included the fact that the Lincoln LS will definitely be discontinued. It has been a poor seller.
    The recent Ford Motor Company announcements about 14 plant closings and of 30,00 layoffs, included the fact that the Lincoln LS will definitely be discontinued. It has been a poor seller.

Yes, I know. Doesn't change the deal, though.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

yes, but will it give me 28 mpg?

oops. sorry. Its been so long since I saw post #1 that I forgot the mileage requirement.

It does meet all the other requirements, though. And, depending on what you compare it to, and given the fact you get so much for such a good price, the cost savings could buy ALOT of gas. ;)

qbrozen,

It surely will affect the LS' trade-in value a few years down the road if the line has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
    the trade-in value already stinks on the car, and has been horrible way before the announcement ... $10k off sticker helps that more than discontinuing it.

None of that makes it any less of a nice car for the $$.

Hmmmm, I wonder which one will have better reliability and trade-in value after a few years.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Who cares about trade-in value if you plan to keep the car for 5+ years. And I would bet you a martini the Lucerne will prove as reliable as the Avalon. Its as good a boat as the Avalon.
    If you go by JP Powers the Buick brand is more reliable than Toyota

Are American cars really that bad

It’s too new for Consumer Reports.
    You wrote "Who cares about trade-in value if you plan to keep the car for 5+ years."

If you had written 10+ years I would agree. For anything much less, trade-in value is a significant factor in most owners' financial decision making. We can't ignore a major factor in GM's and Ford's lower resale values. They dump incredible numbers of vehicles into low-profit fleet sales to keep factories humming. Those vehicles come into the used car market in great numbers, thus diluting retail new car buyers' values unless they get huge rebates such as those offered last summer.

For the sake of the domestic brand industry, I hope that you are correct in your bet about Lucerne's long term reliability.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I will take an Infiniti G35 with the Premium Package and Navigation if the car is to be a commuter.

For a family car I will take a Toyota Sienna Limited with Package 3.
    leadfoot6,

You ought to read the Lucerne review in the March 2006 issue of Car & Driver magazine.
  • smp123smp123 Member Posts: 3
    Volvo S60
    Toyota Avalon XLS or Limited.
    ES330 (29 hwy)
    Volvo S80 (I think it gets >28 HWY)

If I had had a $40k budget, I would have definitely looked at the BMW 530 in a 'previously owned' version.

I drove the 4 above and each has their good and bad points.
  • 05fordexplorer05fordexplorer Member Posts: 5
    Check out the saab 9-3. This is by far the best buy. Just test drive it. AMAZING..
    personally, i've found Saab interiors to be pretty pitiful when compared to the competition in its price class. But I realize my opinion in this matter is not widely shared.

• fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    As someone stated in a later post go out 10 years and you may be correct. I purchased a 1999 Intrepid ES new for $23000. It is in very good condition with low (67,000 miles). It is worth about $5000. I would guess that an equivalent 1999 Honda Accord would be worth twice what my Intrepid is. $5000 is a lot of difference even at seven years.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    This may not win much points with the political correctness crowd (or the mileage experts) but I have a candidate. It is nimble, handles extremely well, the brakes are world renowned, and comes from a first class manufacturer. The vehicle is a fantastic all weather vehicle with AWD and a low range, is good both on and off road, has a neat stick shift, a 248 HP V6, four doors, 0-60 in under 10 seconds, and is just fun to drive. As a bonus, the dealers are so low volume that they give fantastic customer service. All for roughly 43K new and just under 40K when a year old. Unlike most of the cars mentioned above, you'd be happy driving it for 10 years and 120K miles.

Yep, its made in Stuggart and has a gold crest.
    I will guess it is a Cadillac SRX. Do they really make those in Stuggart?
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    I'm sure he's referring to the Porsche Cayenne V6, which a couple of reviews I read thought it no bargain at $40k+ when compared to competition at that price point. But drive it yourself and decide...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• booyahcramerbooyahcramer Member Posts: 172
    0-60 in under 10 seconds

$43,000 for that kind of slow?
    While speed/quickness isn't everything, that was one of the points of the less than favorable review of the Cayenne V6. See Infiniti FX for comparison...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

OK, which dimension did you wish to compare? Porsche customer service vs. Infiniti? (Sorry guys, Infiniti hasn't exactly built a Lexus-like reputation for dealership customer service, facilities or strength.) Resale? Brakes? Tasteful styling? Service intervals? Handling? Halo effect of more expensive siblings (the Cayenne has versions that sticker at over 100K)? Dealership parts and service availability? (In New England, believe it or not, there are far more Porsche stores than Infiniti stores.)
    I'm a life-long New Englander (originally Fairfield County although some don't consider that NE!, currently south of Boston) so I believe it ;) .

Yes to all. You can compare an FX and a Cayenne in any manner you choose. And only you can decide the winner. For me, the FX has style, the Cayenne does not. Halo effect does not affect me. I was treated quite well by the Infiniti dealer when shopping the G35. As very, very rarely is a car an investment, I don't put resale (no one can predict the future) high on my considerations list. I buy the car I want (heck, I bought a Chrylser 300M, no resale value, but I very much enjoyed my 5.5 years of ownership). I have no interest in buying an SUV, but if I did, the FX would most certainly be on my list. Maybe the Cayenne too, but I'm "frugal," and from reviews (only, haven't driven one) and inspecting both at the NEIAS, I don't see the value in the V6 Cayenne. But, that's just me which is why I say do your own DD, compare/contrast. My "right" could be your "wrong." Of course, you'd be wrong... :P

• carrmancarrman Member Posts: 20
    You wrote "Who cares about trade-in value if you plan to keep the car for 5+ years."

If you had written 10+ years I would agree. For anything much less, trade-in value is a significant factor in most owners' financial decision making. We can't ignore a major factor in GM's and Ford's lower resale values. They dump incredible numbers of vehicles into low-profit fleet sales to keep factories humming. Those vehicles come into the used car market in great numbers, thus diluting retail new car buyers' values unless they get huge rebates such as those offered last summer.

For the sake of the domestic brand industry, I hope that you are correct in your bet about Lucerne's long term reliability

Get real, trade in values stink no matter what you drive. In my mind if you buy a vehicle based on its trade in value that's a BIG mistake. The buying public needs to wake up and stop falling for the hype of the newest , latest, bestest (is that a word) vehicle. If there is a concern about $$ out lay on a vehicle, it's best to buy a cheaper vehicle to begin with and run the wheels off it.
    But isn’t depreciation usually calculated from MSRP. I mean the published depreciation figures from magazines and CR.

So for example a Lincoln LS would show a large depreciation from MSRP…but if it was calculated from the actual sale price it may be inline with the imports (Japanese). You just have to wait for the domestic “blue light” special.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I just don't get cars (or whatever it is) like this.

I'd take a Jeep Wrangler AND a Mini Cooper S for the price of one behemoth from Stuttgart
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    If there is a concern about $$ out lay on a vehicle, it's best to buy a cheaper vehicle to begin with and run the wheels off it.

There's always a concern about the price of a car. But many many people have the money. You start a business, work your tail off to get it going, it flourishes, you expand a bit, save money, and watch your sales and bank accounts grow (even after taxes). I'd say take a little off the table and enjoy life. Buy a few things to keep you happy while taking the business to the next level. A new car is definitely in the picture (why are we all on this board poking around about vehicles anyway?) $40,000 is a lot for a vehicle - yes - but if you have it to spend.....you don't want the cheapest.
  • catman2050catman2050 Member Posts: 28
    Avalon (more comfort) or Infiniti M35 (more sport). I've seen a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread. I don't think I saw the M35 mentioned and I think you ought to at least test that one out.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Agreed, a Cayenne is neither car nor Porsche. Now the Cayman, that's a different matter, but also lots more than $40K.

My vote's for a BMW 325i. Mine's on order with sport package, sat radio, 6 spd manual and xenon headlights for around $33.5K. It replaces a 2004 Acura TL 6 spd, which is well built but just never drove right. One ride on a country road with the 3 series SP and I was sold. You can really toss it around. BMW isn't the fastest, doesn't have the best numbers. They just connect you to the machine and the driving experience like no other sedan. The BMW is fun. The Acura never really was, although it has a fine, powerful engine.

For a lot less money, look at the VW GTi. The new model is a delight to drive, if you're willing to gamble on the reliability.
  • jeff43jeff43 Member Posts: 14
    I really like this car, and it seems like the best value out of all the cars talked about here. It is huge, and it can return 26 MPG with a V-8(29 with a V-6). Forget all the GM predjudices made up by the media, Buick offers the best value for the money, hands down.
    And Buick now has a warranty that matches the premium brands- 4 years/50,000 miles.

That's still no match for the Koreans, but at least it's better than the old 3/36 plan.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    "a 248 HP V6, four doors, 0-60 in under 10 seconds, and is just fun to drive. "

LOL that is a jumbled Oxy moron if there ever was one!

Not my cup of Tea, but to each his own :)

MidCow
  • pusterracingpusterracing Member Posts: 186
    "$40,000 is a lot for a vehicle - yes - but if you have it to spend.....you don't want the cheapest."

The perfect quote as to why NOT to buy a V6 Cayenne. Why would you want to spend the MAX of your budget on the MINIMUM of a line?

If I were in the market for this kind of vehicle and this was the "front runner" offered me, I would much rather buy a

Toureg V8 which has almost identical outside measurements...

For the following reasons on STANDARD EQUIP, and only catergories where there is a difference (I.E. STD vs OPT, STD VS N/A.....no OPT VS OPT)..

_____________Cayenne Base_______Toureg V8_______NOD GOES TO
    ________________$42K_______________$44K____________Porsche
    Engine__________V6 247HP/249TQ_____V8 310HP/302TQ__VW
    EPA_____________15/20______________14/18___________Porsche
    Cargo Vol_______19.10ft3___________31.00ft3________VW
    Payload_________1731lbs____________1250lbs_________Porsche
    Turning Dia_____38.40______________38.10___________Toss-Up
    Tires___________235/65R17__________255/55R18_______VW
    Brake Assist____N/A________________STD_____________VW
    Subwoofer_______STD________________OPT_____________Porsche
    Day Run LTS_____N/A________________STD_____________VW
    Airdam__________OPT________________STD_____________VW
    Rear Spoiler____STD________________N/A_____________Porsche
    Drv/Pas Climate_OPT________________STD_____________VW
    Str. Wheel Cont_OPT________________STD_____________VW
    Telescopic______N/A________________STD_____________VW
    Wood Trim_______OPT________________STD_____________VW
    1st Aid Kit_____STD________________N/A_____________Porsche
    Heated Seats____OPT________________STD_____________VW
    PWR Lumbar______OPT________________STD_____________VW
    Memory SEAT_____OPT________________STD_____________VW
    Cargo Net_______STD________________OPT_____________Porsche
    Power Moonroof__OPT________________STD_____________VW
    Basic WARR______48/50K_____________48/50K__________Toss-Up
    PowerTrain______48/50K_____________60/60K__________VW
    Rust____________120/UNL____________144/UNL_________VW

IMHO, the VW is a better buy than the Porsche.......as I said, I'd much rather buy something in the middle or higher in a model line, than to blow my entire budget on the bottom rung of a model.

Just my $0.02 about the whole Cayenne theory....
    pusteracing, nice chart although with at least one inconsistency, e.g., the cargo volume should be identical between the two and there not be a 33% difference.

By your reasoning ("I'd much rather buy something in the middle or higher of a model line, than....on the bottom rung of a model") I guess then that you don't agree with the location/location/location theory of real estate? I think that the V6 Cayenne is a good deal for the reasons I listed. Kind of like why I would rather pick up a small appartment on Park Avenue than a large five bedroom home on Staten Island. A home not on the water on Nantucket than a something on the water in, say, Fairhaven, Ma.
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    the location/location/location rule is to be used if you intend to make money with real estate

it has nothing to do with buying a car, unless the reason you are buying it is to retain its value

in which case you might as well just look at a chart of residual values and do the math - you don't need to even consdier how it drives, etc.

but this thread is about more than residual value

I think it's cool that we are comparing used and ew cars, all around a price point. I'd like to see the same approach, but broken down into "segments" - i.e. "best SUV that can go offraod but still drive decent onroad, for 20K"

"best luxo sedan, $30k"

there's a lot to be said for buying last year's best new thing, rather than next year's best new thing
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My choice would be a 2005 Nissan Armada Se or Le. The v8 is maaaddddd powerful with 305hp and 390lb ft of torque at a low rpm and gets about 500 miles on a tank of gas highway :P . It may not be the most reliable and spacious nor fuel "efficient" it is a lotta bang for the (lotta) buck.

My other choice would be a 2006 lexus is350 with the 306 hp in a "V6" engine!! The car is fast, luxurious and reliable!

Can some1 buy me either of these $40k for the vehicles? In fact just give me the money so i can buy the exact car or a 1996 accord ex v6 and use the rest to pay off some bills... :blush:
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I agree, it is very nice. Media created perceptions are hard to overcome.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    Best car any money can buy, so far.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    re "Best car any money can buy, so far."

Regarding hybrids, I think that if we see genuinely high gas prices in the US ($6-8/gal), and if the trucking lobby (which wants cheap, dirty fuel) could be placated, the direction would be towards low sulphur diesels.

If I had to choose between a fast, tossable BMW 320d (129 mph, 50 miles/imp gal) and a Prius with its rear drum brakes and tepid performance, I know which way I'd go.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Best car any money can buy, so far."

OK, I'll bite. What makes the Prius so great?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the Prius is sorta off-topic here ...