Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• ddssjsk9ddssjsk9 Member Posts: 36
    Call you dealer and ask. I think you can do it yourself. You do need both remotes. Try this. Stand near the vehicle. Press and hold down both
    buttons at the same time for 10 seconds. Do the same for the other remote. This works on some late
    GM vehicles.
    I don't know how my Chev Tracker post ended up on
    this page. But while i'm here, does anyone out there have a Vitari 4 cyl. with a vibration problem other than tires? If so has the dealer corrected it. If not what was their excuse.
  • paidcashpaidcash Member Posts: 1
    Just bought year 2000 Grand Vitara. Has any ham installed a mobile 2 meter rig in GV? Looking for some suggestions.
    Chuck
  • tc2468tc2468 Member Posts: 1
    I have 23000 k on my 99 GV I've had no vibration or AC problems
    I rotated the tires at 12000 km then done during the service
    I instructed the dealer to rotate the tires the same as I did at 12000 km - LF to LR and RF to RR
    I also use Mobil 1 synthetic
    one strange thing he mech. at tthe dealer was really hinting me to say that there was some sort of rubbing noise in he front end when going over speed bump or bumps in general - he's a good guy. I said yes, even though I didn't have any noise. He quickly made a warranty workorder to lube the front bushings that hold the sway bar. I think Suzuki will not do the lube unless there is a complaint. IMO, I suggest everyone complain so that you can get this done anyway.
  • bruins1bruins1 Member Posts: 1
    you should have received the booklet on the remote door locks in the glove box. If you still need info on how to program I can copy from booklet. nI think you have to access the control unit under steering wheel 3 0r 4 screws and the panel below the steering wheel pops off.
  • waxmastawaxmasta Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Kia Sportage which is really a piece of garbage, and have begun the Lemon Law procedure. I would appreciate hearing how you all feel about your Grand Vitaras, as I am interested in looking at them for my next purchase. (If I'm successful with the Lemon Law and get a refund!) I've driven 2 GV's that were rental's, both very comfortable, and drove beautifully...but only had them for a day or two. Would love some input !!!
  • rbalkrbalk Member Posts: 15
    There is an eGroups mailing list for the Suzuki
    Grand Vitara owners. You are welcome to subscribe.
    Only you can do is just send an email to
    suzukigrandvitara-subscribe@egroups.com with blank
    subject and message and then you are automatically
    subscribed. You can click www.egroups.com and
    see for yourself.
    Good Luck and enjoy the new mailing list.
  • bushdabushda Member Posts: 1
    Hey Folks,
    I just got a 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport, and I'm curious if anyone knows what CD changer mates up with the factory stereo.

The factory stereo is an Alpine SGA-100, and it's got the controls for a CD changer on it. Anyone know while one I should look for, and when I find it, where it goes?? Is the wiring already there & I just have to plug it in??

Thanks,
    - Dave
    dbush@aldus.northnet.org
  • danl1danl1 Member Posts: 5
    I was washing my GV and I noticed that there is a sticker with the number 2 on it under the side mirrors. Just wondering what other numbers people have.
  • fsumom28fsumom28 Member Posts: 7
    I would think twice about the GV. I filed the lemon law and lost...I know two other people on line that have filed also. My GV vibrates constantly at 35-45 and at 55-65, but after putting 800 pounds of grown people in my GV and driving it extremely fast, the arbitrators said they did not feel any unusual vibration. How convenient. Good luck with any lemon law, I believe it is a false sense of security for the public. They are really in place to help protect the manufacturer not the consumer. It was very obvious during our hearing that they were on the side of Suzuki. My A/C leaked about an inch of water into the passenger side whenever you drive about 2 hours, so Suzuki "taped" it on the outside of the evaporator housing to keep it from coming inside. They more or less said i was making it up about the water leak, because they have the best air conditioning system. Next time I will take pictures before I clean it up. Test drive any car you are going to buy on the interstate and pay attention to any type of vibration. It is an ongoing problem and you can see in other postings on this board. Good Luck!!
    Hi fsumom28
    I am sorry to hear what you had experienced thru. I suggest you to subscribe into the Suzuki Grand Vitara mailing list. Maybe you may get something out of this list. Here the below info :There is an eGroups mailing list for the Suzuki
    see for yourself.
    Good Luck and enjoy the new mailing list.
    PLEASE: ANYONE HAVING A VIBRATION PROBLEM WITH
    1999-2000 SUZUKIES AND CHEV TRACKERS REGISTER A
    COMPLAINT WITH NHTSA (www.nhtsa.com) and THE
    CENTER FOR AUTO SAFETY (www.autosafety.org)
    WE NEED OUR VOICE HEARD.
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    I have a 1999 Tracker 4-door 4-wheel drive with manual transmission. I have experienced none of the vibration problems described at this site or at the Chevy Tracker site. However, I have noticed that, on the rare occasions when I stop and idle on cold mornings before the engine has fully warmed, the engine does vibrate at low RPM's. It also shudders consistently when starting out in reverse at low RPM's. It doesn't shudder when starting out in 1st gear. (I've driven manual transmissions for 38 years, and for most cars reverse is a no-brainer for the left foot.) 99% of the time the engine idles uncanningly smoothly for a 4-banger. (Much smoother than my Passat, previously owned Sidekick, or previously owned Audi 4's and 5's) I'm no engineer or mechanic, but I'm suspicious that the motor mounts on the 4-banger are either too soft or incorrectly positioned. Could this account for the vibration in the automatics during decceleration or constant speeds at low RPM's?
    I have suspected engine mounts for quite some time. As matter of fact I ordered one just to inspect. They are of the fluid filled hydraulic type which are supposed to do a fine job of vibration absorption. However I drove a 97 Toyota
    Camry about 200 miles today. Vehicle has about 55,000 miles. Has about the same vibration patterns at about the same speed but the vibration and noise is not transferred into the
    vehicle body like in the tracker. The Camry mounts are fluid filled also but about 2 times as
    massive. I suspect the rear mount on the Camry needs replaceing,they do have a considerable fail
    rate. I suspect your Tracker has a vibration also if it is a 2.0 liter engine. The manual may mask
    the symptoms. You would just think you were "lugging" the engine. The vibration gives the
    same feel.
    I'm sorry you lost your arbitration case. For anyone else out there who may be filing lemon
    law. I can tell you that the vibration dampener on the exhaust pipe has been doubled in mass (2nd Design) and that there was a vibration dampener designed to be mounted on top of the transfer case
    but was left off my vehicle in production.
  • brown64brown64 Member Posts: 8
    I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING ON BUYING THE GRAND VITARA. TEST DROVE ONE AND FOUND OUT THAT THE V6 DIDN'T GIVE THAT MUCH PICK-UP. THE CARS LOOK GREAT AND THAT'S ABOUT IT. I LIVE ON THE EAST COAST (RI) AND JUST DON'T SEE MANY ON THE ROADS.

I AM ALSO CONSIDERING A RODEO OR PASSPORT. WE JUST HAD OUR FIRST CHILD AND WANT SOME THING SAFE
    TO DRIVE AND (VERY RELIABLE). ARE THE GV LEMONS?
    BOUGHT A HYUNDAI BACK IN 87. BIGGEST CAR MISTAKE OF MY LIFE AND DO NOT WANT TO GO THROUGH THAT AGAIN. ARE THE GV'S RELIABLE?

BROWN64
  • akashinoakashino Member Posts: 36
    Not a lemon, a few quirks that are being worked out, but otherwise solid. Lot's of them on the road here in Canada.

As for safety, check out:
    http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/small_suvs/small_suvs.htm

I'd say it's a damn fine car for the buck, and when you consider the high cost of gas these days, the buck looks even better.
  • gone2seagone2sea Member Posts: 33
    Brown64:

Buy the Grand Vitara before buying the Rodeo or Passport. My neighbor has a Rodeo and he has had almost as many problems with it as I had with my 1995 Jimmy, which was replaced by a 1999 GV. For me the most significant adjustment was having less cargo space. But will some planning that has not been a problem. And at 7000 miles I get 23 to 24 miles per gallon in mixed rush hour, city, and highway driving. Have not had any of the quirks reported since purchase in 9/99. Vehicle was quite capable in snow in northern New Jersey back in Jan/Feb of this year. As for the horsepower, I think this is a personal thing -- GV engine horsepower to vehicle weight is same as it was for my Jimmy. Because of that I don't have a problem with it. I do like the fact that the vehicle DOES slow down when I take my foot off the gas and feel that the lower mass of 3400 pounds versus 4300 pounds for Jimmy / Rodeo(?) has a lot to do with that. And I think that is a good safety factor. As for acceleration, these are not sport cars or sedans and you are still moving a box-like structure.

Lastly, if you go with the Rodeo, don't bother getting the Passport since it is simply a more expensive version with the same Isuzu parts and a Honda badge on the grill. If you want a Honda, wait to the new Honda SUV.
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    hey dan, i think you have too much time on your hands.............
    gone2sea -

thanks for the input. still undecided though. here's a couple of questions i have:
    does your ac leak as i have read in other comments? did you have to buy new tires for your gv because the so-called new tires were "noisy"?
    how does yours handle on the highway, and is it wind-noisy? when i test drove the gv it fogged up pretty bad on the inside, do you see this in your gv? thanks, any input would be appreciated.

brown64
    Brown64
    There are plenty of questions and answers in two below websites,
    http://www.egroups.com/group/suzukigrandvitara/ and http://forums.vmag.com/suvvit0199/.

I am sure you will find them a great deal.

Good Luck

Rick
    Brown64:

My GV was built in June 1999 and I purchased it in September. I have not had the A/C leaks others have reported or any other problems. I have always had a open cargo vehicle such as a station wagon, minivan, or SUV so I don't consider inside noise an issue, especially when I have cargo. But I have not had any rattles or squeaks like the others have described either.

The tires could be better but I have had no need to replace them and they worked fine during the past winter here in northern New Jersey. Worked well in unplowed snow also. For me, inflating them to 32 to 34 psi has helped significantly because the tire noise was reduced and the directional control was improved. Only problem is the ride is a little more harsh. But this is not my first SUV and the ride is just as good, even at 34 psi, as the GMC Jimmy this replaced.

Lastly, I know Rick from message 185 and I do subscribe to the egroups list. A lot of what they have to say is more technical than I need since I am not into car lifts and going off road with 245/75??? tires but it is another source of information none the less.

Good luck.

Howard
    Brown64:

I left off one item. I have not encountered the fogging issue in the interior in this vehicle any more frequently than with everything else. It only happened once and I turned on the A/C like I always have done with my Jimmy, Civic, Reliant, Caprice, Beetle, etc. Like everything else, it is a matter of getting use to what settings work best in each vehicle.

Howard
  • 70boss70boss Member Posts: 4
    Since the GV has a large window area, it seems to have an affinity towards foggy windows. Usually when wet people get inside during the rain, or snow. Use the air conditioning to de-humidify the interior. Use the AC in the winter as well, it is OK to have the heat up, but turning on the AC will dehumidify the interior. It will also keep the AC system lubricated during the off season so the seals will not dry out. Most people do not realize that when you turn on the defrost on most cars, the AC compressor kicks in to. I have a lot of experience with the GV, as I am the manager of a Suzuki Franchise. Feel free to e-mail any questions or concerns.
    Rob
    Rob:
    Please email me at ddssjsk9@hotmail.com
    I have questions to ask. I am a manager
    in a Chevrolet Franchise. I would like to
    compare notes. I own a Chev Tracker 1999.
  • penmanjrpenmanjr Member Posts: 1
    Buying a GV JLX+ (auto) soon as a "toad" for our motorhome. Know it has transfer case and keeping it in neutral allows towing the automatic with all wheels down. Question is the automatic hubs -- do I need to change to manual hubs or will the factory automatic freewheeling hubs keep the front differential/driveshafts etc from turning while towing? Seems I saw an old post on an RV site regarding older model Tracker that required changing to manual hubs, but can't find it. Will ask dealer also, but I have very mixed responses and knowledge levels on this question. Thanks for any input. Email Jpenman28@aol.com.
    Thanks for the feedback howard. I am strongly considering the gv. Does anyone out there have gv with the arm-rest? I know the limited has one and it is listed as an option. If you have one, what was the price? Also, the lights, is it worth
    having a dealer install the factory ones or should buy my own and and install them?

thanks for any input.

brown64
    in my last notes the lights i am talking about
    are the fog lights not the head lights.

thanks

brown64
  • 70boss70boss Member Posts: 4
    The GV does not use the old locking or auto lock hubs anymore. Suzuki uses a center dis-connect in the front axle "pumpkin" There is an air compressor under hood which engages the clutch pack...similar to Ford, and Chevy with there center disconnect.
    The armrest is worth EVERY penny. Retail is $120 plus install. It is very easy to put in and should only take you 1/2 hour or so. 4 holes and screw it in.
    The foglights are nice, but can get pricey with install. They are made by GIBIE and are very high quality. I have driven my LIMITED for 5500 miles, and have switched back to a JLX+ because I can't keep enough Limited models in stock. I miss the armrest, and will install one soon.
    Feel free to e-mail any question: 70boss@geocities.com
    Rob
    rob, thanks for sharing the gv valuable info. how does your car stereo sound? does the gv have quality speakers? would you recommend better speakers for a richer sound? do you know who makes the cd - cassette for the gv? the buzz is that the speakers are not powerful enough to hold the stereo, is this true? appreciate any input.thanks

brown64
  • bubba1010bubba1010 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys 1st of all I'm very happy with my new GV.
    Here are my questions:
    1)Does it have a fuel light that tells you you're "close" to running out of gas?
    2)Does the rear defogger have a shut off timer?
    3)I'm not getting too good fuel mileage (with about 1800 miles on it so far)...does the mileage improve when the engine "breaks in"?
    4)Does anyone know if you actually use more gas when you use the cruise control?
    5)Has anyone calculated the difference in mileage when you're in 4X4 mode?

Thats all I can think of for now....any help would be greatly appreciated folks...
    Thanks.
  • mwidellmwidell Member Posts: 2
    1) No, confirmed. (smile)
    2) No, and this is annoying.
    3) Mine has been getting about 18-19 mpg, and I drive alot of highway -and- city miles. (In comparison, we also have an early 90's Dodge Caravan with the large V6, and it gets 19 mpg. Also, mine has about 18k on it right now, purchased this time last year. The only thing that has improved with time is that it doesn't smell like rotten eggs any more.
    5) Unless you drove in 4x4 mode for a good range (perhaps 100 miles), then topped it off, this would be hard to guage. However, watching the gas guage while in 4x4 reminds me of when I owned my '76 Olds - gas hog.

Michelle in Illinois
    Brown64:

I have the foglights and center armrest along with five other options, including a pre-wired trailer hitch with external brake light and electric brake controller. I purchased the options as part of the vehicle so I don't know individual costs. Foglights are excellent and I recommend them highly. Center armrest is nice but you lose use of rear cupholder when it is down. My solution was to store audio cassettes in the rear cupholder spot and purchase an adjustable cupholder that sits on top of the cassette holder inside the armrest.

Bubba1010:

My 1999 GV does not have a low fuel light and I don't think 2000 model does either. And the rear window defogger does not shut off automatically on my 1999 either. Cruise control usually just as economical except in very hilly terrain. When going up hill, cruise control will kick in harder than you might and more gas will be used. I don't use cruise control on local hilly streets. I do use it on 45 miles per hour or higher roads even with hills since it maintains speed up and downgrade. This is my second SUV owned and the third I have used. You always get lower mileage in four wheel drive because the engine is working harder. Doesn't matter if you are driving a GV or an Excursion; 4WD mileage will be lower. And speaking of mileage, at 7750 miles my automatic gets 22 to 24 miles per gallon in mixed highway, rush hour, and local city driving. On a recent 150 mile trip at 60 to 65 mph, it got 25 miles per gallon.

Howard
  • mwidellmwidell Member Posts: 2
    Since I joined the conversation towards the end, I'd like to comment on a few posts.

First, I have experienced the "leaking" a/c once. It was during a 4 hour drive, 200 miles, when it was extremely hot. The passenger side floor was sopping wet. I read another post from someone at suv.com that said the dealer told him it was condensation. It hasn't happened since, but I have not been on such a long drive since then either. In any case, it's inexcusable but hard to prove.

Armrest/Foglights
    I purchased my GV this time last year and had the dealer install the armrest, floormats and splash guards. They threw the labor in on all, and also the cost of the mats and splash guards. I paid about $100 for the armrest, and it was definately worth the cost.

The fog lights I purchased on my own for about $225. Expensive, but they were pretty easy to install. You do have to be pretty nimble, tho, to work in the tight spaces. You have to >cut< your bumper with a sharp knife, which was pretty scary, but it was easy. I also had to unbolt part of the wheel liner to get at the inside of the bumper. They work great, tho.

It's been a decent car, but not one of my best. I think the rather inexpensive price (considering, for an SUV) was made up for with the use of cheap, easily scratched plastic and other ill-fitting parts. It does turn heads, and is pretty peppy for a tiny 6 cylinder. Also, the manual tranny is a joy.

I purchased the 100k warranty with my GV, and plan to make use of it. :)

Michelle in Illinois
    Hi Michelle ... Just curious
    Which dealer did you purchase your GV?
    I bought from Grossinger.
    What warranty did you purchase?
    Mine is Gold Warranty.

Still enjoying my GV

Rick
    There is a eGroups mailing list for the Suzuki
    suzukigrandvitara-subscribe@egroups.com with blank subject and message and then you are automatically subscribed. You can click www.egroups.com and see for yourself.

Good Luck and enjoy this mailing list.
  • dougf340dougf340 Member Posts: 9
    for MWIDELL, i had the same A/C condensation leak last summer during a long trip. The problem is that you need to bring it back to the dealership and tell them to add a resistor to the A/C unit, and to check to condensation hose (mine was all kinked up). Once the dealership added the 30 cent resistor and changed the defective condensation hose, the leak disapeared.
    i am wondering what kind of sound systems comes standard with the gv. what company makes their audio componet? what kind of speakers and how many watts? how many speakers are in the gv? what size are they? do they have a top of the line sound system in the gv limited or do they all have the same type of sound?

what do you think of your sound system in your gv? good? awesome? poor?

any info on this subject would be greatly appreaciated.

brown64
  • wendyhwendyh Member Posts: 1
    I bought my GV early last summer and have really enjoyed it (other than the tire issues others have mentioned). I drive about 60 miles a day commuting to work (highway all the way) and notice that on windy days its all I can do to keep the car moving in a straight line. Today I had one of the scariest drives of my life. It's a particulary gusty day in Pennsylvania today so I expected some problem not looking like drunk behind the wheel. However, not only did the wind have me swerving around, but I ended up entirely off the road and into the berm twice! The car felt like it had a life of its own--and I was scared for mine! Has anyone else had any experience with this. Could this have anything to do with the "junk" tires?

Thanks!
    There is a eGroups mailing list for the Suzuki
    see for yourself.
    Good Luck and enjoy this mailing list.
    Wendyh:

I have a 1999 GV since September 1999 and I live in northern New Jersey. This SUV is like the Jimmy I drove before it in high crosswinds. Remember, you have a taller vehicle that is shorter in length than many cars. The key is to know that the winds are there and be prepared when you enter areas with open fields on either side of the road. In addition, I raised the tire pressure in mine from 26psi (dealer spec) to 32 or 34 psi to significantly improve directional stability. The key here is that the wind still tries to move the GV around but when I counter steer the effect is immediate. Lower tire pressure will not provide that instant corrective response. Mind you, the ride is a little harsher at 32psi or more but I think its still safer.

Howard
    Brown64:

My 1999 GV came with a Clarion AM/FM cassette unit with two 4 inch speakers in the front doors and a pair of 6x9 speakers mounted above the rear cargo area. It is not the best I have owned but not the worst either (that was from AMC in 1974). I have read comments on this and other lists about people changing everything or at least the speakers. I don't bother with that until they break and that hasn't happened at 8400 miles. One thing I do is adjust the Front/Rear Fade towards the Rear to take advantage of the larger speakers above the cargo area. Sound is fine when I commute. When we have friends with us, the radio is off anyway so they don't complain about it being to loud just behind them.

Howard
  • bubba1010bubba1010 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have the problem with thier rear wiper not sitting flat on the glass? Therefore when you use the wiper it's missing the middle part of the wipers surface area, and/or leaving streaks.
    I took it to the dealer here in Toronto with only 6,500Km on it so far and they told me that Suzuki doesn't cover window wipers in the warranty! Can you believe that???
    They then told me that is a design flaw in the wiper arm with not enough pressure being placed on the wiper blade itself so it can sit "flat" on the glass.
    Has anyone encountered this problem with there GV?
    or is the Dealership just hanging me a load of ----?
    They said they can't replace it,EVEN though I told them it was a problem from the beginning of delivery and it just didnt start up recently. They told me there is a aftermarket "spring-like " device that I could get to hold the arm down with a little more pressure on the window, but why should I have to do this if it was like this from the beginning?
    Any suggestions guys?
    Thanks,
    Bubba1010
  • jonny1896jonny1896 Member Posts: 1
    Heres the deal!! Every other day my air bag light comes on and stays on primarily when the car is cold. Why I don't know but even if I start the GV and turn off and then restart it the light comes back on! I've taken the car to the dealer 3 times once they couldn't douplicate the second they checked it out and said it's nothing. If it's nothing why does it stay on. The light is supposed to flash and then go off. Maybe some one can shed some light on this topic!
    for dtilden....i replaced my Bridgestones (which are the worst tires for the g.v.) at 10,000 miles. I bought four Yokohama Geolanders, there the same size and they actually have a tread pattern on them! it made a huge differnce in the way the truck handles. I got them at town fair tire near Boston and paid $110 per tire. I highly recommend them.
    Bubba1010:

My rear wiper did that at times when I first got the GV. I adjusted the wiper arm slightly so it pressed the entire blade against the windshield. Dealer should be able to do this if you don't want to. It's worked fine ever since the change.

Jonny1896:

Airbag light bit can be a pain in the neck if you let it. Mine does that at times during winter. Only way dealer might be able to duplicate it is to have GV sit overnight in cold weather on their lot. When they start it following morning light might come on. I don't let it bother me because it only happens in cold weather and it GOES OUT completely after engine has warmed up inside of truck near that part of the dash. I think the problem is a loose relay contracts when it is cold in the circuit and causes the light to be displayed. When enough heat reaches the area where the relay is, the contact expands and the light goes out. It only happens when the ground temperature is below 35 degrees. It also only happens in the morning. After driving long enough with the heat on to heat the interior of the vehicle, turn off the engine. Then restart it and see if the light comes back on. I live with it because the odds of getting the dealer to duplicate it are worse than odds of winning the state lottery.

Howard
    99JLX+, Auto, ABS, 9010 miles
    Is this a dead subject on Vatari Vibe problems.
    Has everyone's vehicles been repaired, tired of
    complaining or posting somewhere else?????
    Ddssjsk9:

I don't know if all the Vitaras have been repaired and I have a Grand Vitara. However, you might want to pose the question on the Suzuki Grand Vitara list at www.Egroups.com and see what they have to say. Looking there might give you an answer also. Once there get into Egroups you need to register at no cost and then search for Suzuki Grand Vitara. We are always happy to welcome new members.

Howard
  • henry31henry31 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I heard that this is perhaps THE best site for checking out vehicles. I'm currently in the process of finding a new car, and I have narrowed it down to the Grand Vitara and the Ford Focus. I'm planning to test-drive aGV as soon as I can.

My question is--why should I get the GV when the Chevy Tracker is the exact same thing for a little less.

Thanks in advance!
    here's the answer to your question why you should get a gv instead of the Chevy tracker.....A V-6 MOTOR
    and stay away from the Ford