Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL Class

124»

Comments

• ikechoiikechoi Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for GL450 and want to know whether it is possible to replace the compact spare tire to the *Full* size spare tire.
    In my thought, it is completely nonsense to provide the only compact version although MB sells the *Offroad Package*. :confuse:

Is the space under the 3rd row seats big enough for the full size tire??
  • stumblefootstumblefoot Member Posts: 3
    Wanted to inquire about the new GL-550 announced for the U.S. at the New York auto show. I'm wondering if anyone has talked with a dealer yet about pricing and available options, delivery timing, etc. Any and all news appreciated!
  • queequegqueequeg Member Posts: 12
    Have had my 550 for six months and am completely pleased with it, aside from some awkward controls on the left stalk. Just did a 200 mile trip averaging 19.2 mpg. And (referring to the prior post) thought I had a full-sized spare, too, along with my off-road package, which was wonderful during the past snow season.
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    Can someone post the link for GL550? I can't find info on mbusa.com.
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    Even though gas have come down the price isn't worth it to me. MB isn't quite as reliable as I like to justify spending 70 grand for this SUV. The bad thing about the GL is that darn near everything is an option,which drives the price up well past 70 grand. I don't think it's worth it and you can get comparable Lux SUV's that come with a lot of standard features that are options on the GL.
  • abhikuabhiku Member Posts: 124
    Do someone knows what's the diff. in GL450 and GL550? like comparison link or something...

Looking on mbusa.com, there is diff. of price tag in GL550 by $20K vs GL450.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in Mercedes-Benz: Future Models too.

2008 Mercedes-Benz GL550 (Someone said it looks more like an ML than a GL - I think it looks a bit like Idaho :shades: ).
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Is that over near Lewiston? I think I will take my GL with the diesel engine. I am looking for a 2007 used with very low miles under 10k. I would take either the GL320 CDI or the ML320 CDI in the Desert silver metallic. With macadamia leather.
    The links says McCall Idaho area, about 100 miles up the road from me, but they drove around various parts of north central Idaho. The area west of White Bird is amazing.
    We drove all over Idaho in the mid 1960s with our Land Cruiser. It is a beautiful state. I fell in love with Coeur D'Alene. I think it went down hill the last 30 years. We want to just cruise around the country for a few months. I bought that Mercedes Sprinter conversion van to do that. We soon realized we were not campers even in style. Ended up in Motels every night. So a vehicle like the GL320 CDI or ML320 CDI would be a good vehicle for traveling. No worries when we wanted to go off on some back road. Now to find one in the right color and right leather. I think the ML320 CDI is a better size for the two of us.
    Ended up in Motels every night.

Heh, on our last long road trip in 2000, we tent camped almost every night for 10 months straight (we rented a dorm room in St. John's for one week).

We did have car issues now and then since we even avoid the campgrounds as much as possible, prefering to find little hidden spots on forest service type roads. Not much ground clearance on a minivan for that kind of camping and the GL's 4WD would help in a lot of places too.

But we spent less for the '99 minivan and a year bumming around North American to celebrate the Millennium than what a new GL costs. :shades:
    I did my share of tent time moose and caribou hunting. Last trip was November 1976. Never got above -40 F. We were on snow machines back near Nebesna mines. It is down near the Copper River that was frozen over when we started back in 40 miles. My idea of camping now is the Holiday Inn Express with wireless Internet. No more camping vacations for me. I am spending my kids and grandkids inheritance.

I take that back. I spent one miserable night on the spit in Homer with the wind blowing and rain soaking us through and through. That was 1990 and wife #3.

There are a lot of places off road I would like to see. The ground clearance of an SUV makes them the ideal choice. I like both the GL and ML. The R320 CDI is a bit too goofy looking for us.
  • dkim1dkim1 Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody had the GL 450 side steps or running boards installed with the non-OEM parts and if so could you share your experience?
    The dealer is charging about $1700 for the side steps and installations.
    The independent shops using the non-OEM are charging as little as $400 for the entire purchase and the installations. :confuse:
  • joekim01joekim01 Member Posts: 9
    I got a nerf bar (couldn't find a cheap side step) for $150 + $50 SH. It took me 1:30 to install them. If you are handy, it should only take 45 min to 1 Hr. I really like the OEM side step but too expensive. The non oem nerf bar was easy to install and looks great.
  • jgo03jgo03 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any experience with the 19-inch tires? Do they degrade ride quality?
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    If you're referring to the tires that came with the P2 package, I have them on my '08 (I believe they're Continental ContiTrac or something). The ride is fantastic. I also had continentals on my BMW 5 series and was very happy with them (they lasted over 50,000 miles to boot).
  • howlyshowlys Member Posts: 5
    Hi Joe. Could you please share with me where you got the nerf bars and maybe even post a photo of them. I would really appreciate it and I'm pretty sure there are others who would as well. Thanks.
  • fgblfgbl Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I cannot understand whether GL450 height 72.4in is with and without roof rails.
    This might sound strange.... but...my garage door opener is protruding in the middle obviously.

Thus the question: what is gl450 height without the roof rails?
  • soccermom4652soccermom4652 Member Posts: 2
    Ok - I might be asking a dumb question but I would rather know for sure than do damage to my beautiful car. When I am parked or stopped at a stop light, I hear a "swooshing" sound. Is that normal? If so, what is it?
    Might it be the automatic suspension leveling process? After I park, it “settles” a few inches most of the time.
  • soccermom4652soccermom4652 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. So it's normal to hear that noise as the leveling process begins?
    Yes, there is A noise when the auto-level occurs. I'd describe it as more of a groaning hum than a swoosh, though. I tend to notice it only when standing at the rear unloading stuff and feel the level dropping and hear the background hum of the hydrolics or electrical system or whatever powers it.
  • storm10storm10 Member Posts: 261
    I found a very interesting article on the competition of GL class 3 models: GL 350 BlueTec vs. GL 450 vs. GL550 Click this link. And want to hear some thoughts from anyone. I'm trying to figure out what choice is better.
  • shashchattershashchatter Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am interested in a '07 GL450, and think that a 100K extended warranty might be a wise investment. Is that a good decision? What should I expect to pay for such a thing? I would really appreciate any input on what to look out for, recommended places to get the warranty from, etc. etc.

TIA,
    Shash
  • ikirikir Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I recently purchased a 2007 GL450 which only has less than 2,000 miles on the factory warranty. Before the warranty expires, I plan on adding the extended warranty. It seems like the prices are varying from $2,500 to $4,000.
  • napsternapster Member Posts: 3
    Are you planning to buy the extended warranty from the dealer or from a different provider? Do you know the price difference? My dealer is using the scare tactic that some times they will fix things under extended warranty from Mercedes which other companies may not reimburse me. So, I will be better off buying a warrant from them. Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.