Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL Class

merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
edited July 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
The vehicle that originally supposed to replace the "G-Class" has been revealed. It will make its debut in January at the Detroit Autoshow, the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class.

The U.S. market will get the GL450 and GL550, with 335hp and 382hp respectively.

See Article

M

Comments

• 2cvguy2cvguy Member Posts: 3
    Honestly, the vehicle seems to have a striking resemblance to a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Audi and BMW seemed to have better incorporated their brand identities into their SUV design.
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Check out desktopmachine.com they have some great photos of the GL which you can set as your desktop.

http://www.desktopmachine.com/
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Looks pretty darn good in this shot.

It now appears that we're only getting the 335hp GL450 here in the U.S. Don't understand that when other SUVs in this class have at least that much power, if not more. A GL550 (382hp) should be sold here also.

M
  • wopelwopel Member Posts: 92
    I was hoping the R Class would fill the bill to replace my E320 wagon, as I need more room and better air-conditioning. I don't like it too much. Now I see the new GL. Any thoughts?
    Good Morning America actually showed it this a.m. as a crossover - but mentioned nothing about a price.
    I'm irked by the R Class having all "good" things as options - heated seats, sunroof, xenon lights, etc. etc.
    I hope this will be more "mercedes-like".
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    Germancarfans.com has a lot of new detailed info up on the GL.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    More impressed with this new vehicle each time I read about it... :shades:

1. 3 rows of real seats. Last of which fold instantly into the floor.

2. 7,500lbs. towing capacity(!)

3. 1st M-B N. American Vehicle with available "Pre-Safe" system as an option! :D

4. Amazing head an neck protection systems available.

5. Reasonable $50,000 starting price!

6. Should hit US dealers (Made in Alabama) by the end of April! ;)
  • templeton3templeton3 Member Posts: 69
    1. 3 row of real seats. Last of which fold instantly into the floor. Great, so they copied Honda and Mazda.

2) 7,500lbs. towing capacity (!) The engine really lacks torque. Only 339 pound-feet at 2,700-5,000. Frankly, it would be pretty alful towing something of that weight for a long period.

3. 1st M-B N. american Vehicle with availabe "Pre-Safe sysem as an option! This should be Standard. Its a Mercedes after all.

4. Amazing head neck protection systems availabe. Again it should be Standard.

Don't like to be a parrot, but it really looks like a Jeep or a Toyota Forerunner.

I personally don't see anything exciting about this product. Hopefully it sells and not turn out like some of their other products.
  • ergoergo Member Posts: 56
    Templeton3,
    Thanks for your input re: M-B. Given your recent postings in the Volvo section, it would appear you have moved on.

I once was one of Mercedes biggest fan. After owning several Mercedes, I finally learned and bought others. I've learned that only thing with Mercedes is the name and the prestige. Have lots of friends who would never buy another Mercedes. When I was in the market for a suv, I bought a new (05) Range Rover. Luv it, glad I didn't buy a G500. We just bought 06 750Li. Didn't even bother looking at the S Class. In my opinion the Mercedes is less to be desired.

Kudos. Enjoy the Range Rover! :shades:

1. Neither Honda nor Mazda make a true SUV. Certainly not one that can tow 7,500lbs (or even HALF that amount). Nor do they make one where anything other than an adult chimpanzee can sit in the 3rd row. They do have the minivan utes though...I guess you were referring to those?

2. 339 lb. ft. of torque is adequate. Most GM Small block 5.3L V8's don't exceed that! Don't understand your comment...at all.

3. Pre-safe is a rather extensive safety system. Featured on the Science Channel "Car Crash Tech" TV program in 2004. Definitely shouldn't be standard though! :surprise:

4. The neck protection head rests ARE standard based on the literature (released so far).

So, you love the Rover, but dislike the GL450 before you've driven it? Ah, you must be a sheet metal buyer...??? :blush:
  • popny85popny85 Member Posts: 15
    I've gotten word that pricing will start at $56,800. I was thinking of the ML500, but I saw the options for the vehicle and priced it for the GL450 and it comes out around the same, if not cheaper, than the ML500, plus more Horsepower, and a better fuel economy. :surprise:
    Ergo,

Bought the Range Rover for off roading. I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500, 8.1 liter for towing the toys. It has 450 lbs of torque. It tows like a champ. Unfortunately it doesn't have the safety features like the Volvo or Mercedes. Anyone who would tow 7500lbs would not even consider using a small block Chevy,GL500 and a Range Rover. Range Rover says that it could tow 7500lbs, but its tongue weight is only limited to 500lbs. What a joke!!!
    As for the Pre Safe, its a Mercedes, it should come standard. In my opinion it would boost the sales if it was standard.
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    I own a 2005 LR3 SE7 V8. It has been a great vehicle except for all the nagging problems. Drove the GL 450 tonight and it seems to be a winner. It has all the size of the LR3, plus more room behind the 3rd row seat. The third row seats also recline into the floor with the push of a button. The interior fit and finish is very well done. The leather seats were comfortable and firm. It one ups the LR3 with burl wood trim.

It has some very cool MB technology at work. Instead of a standard floor box shifter, it has a stalk similar to a turn signal that sticks out of the right side of the steering column. To put it in reverse, just push the stick up. To put it in drive, just flick the stick down. To put it in park, just press the silver button at the end of the stalk. For those of you who want the F1 experience in a SUV, it has shifter paddles on the back of the steering wheel. The engine was smooth and powerful. For those who might doubt that it doesn't have enough umph, drive it and see. Remember, it is a truck. The torque and acceleration off the line is good enough to throw you back in the seat. The steering is a little light and feels like it was designed for soccer moms. It also has a cool navigation screen. It wasn't DVD, but it had a compass. With the push of a button, the screen flipped out to reveal a single CD. Too cool!

In terms of the "bling" factor, the 2007 Escalade still has it beat out hands down. It is still a MB at the end of the day. I would not buy it in the first 4 to 6 months. I would wait until they get some of the bugs out. A friend of mine owns a S430. He waited a while before he got his and he did not experience problens early buyers had. As much as I want the smoother engine, 7 speed automatic and more space, I will wait. I had to have the LR3 and paid for it in lots of nagging problems. Once burned, twice shy.
    xchicagoan5

As to the cool MB technology at work, the shifter, BMW has that also. I was wondering who came out with that idea first.

I might suggest waiting more than the first 4 to 6 months to get the bugs out. The 7 speed automatic still has alot of problems despite being out for a couple of years.

I had a 97 Mercedes (that body style was out for three years before I bought it) Mercedes bought back under the lemon law. Mercedes gave me a great deal on brand new 99 ML430. I drove it for a year and got rid of it. Lots of nagging problems. My wife bought a new 01 E320 station wagon. Even though that car was out for 5 years, still had lots of small problems. The service writer suggested if we were to keep the car, we should get an extended warranty because things were prone to go wrong. What you say about Land Rover "Once burned, twice shy" is how I feel about Mercedes.

The bright side: I do feel that Mercedes are built to protect its occupants in a crash.
    I understand Euro Motors in Bethesda, MD has a GL. Has anyone seen it, or driven it?
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    For those 'not in the know', the official MSRP for the base model of the 2007 GL 450 is starting at $54,900....Let's see how this vehicle stacks up against the competition.
    They should start arriving at dealers next week I think. I see most dealers have their demo model now. The GL should get off to a much better start than the R-Class did.

M
    I saw a GL-450 sitting out in front of the Tucson dealer this afternoon, so I stopped to take a look. They had two of them; one was sold, the salesman said. He said that they've been able to sell them since the 17th. I didn't ask to drive it, but I inspected it fairly carefully. I think MB has been pretty aggressive in their pricing. The vehicle was pretty bare bones. The only significant option on it was the sunroof package. The MSRP on the sticker was $57,XXX. Some other observations:
    1) It needs running boards to ease entry and exit.
    2) The third row seat is more comfortable than the Escalades--you don't have your knees up around your ears.
    3) The 2nd row legroom is marginal--less than my LX470.
    4) The EPA mileage on the sticker was 14/18. The highway mileage is less than an Escalade's! So much for the obsolescence of pushrod engines.
    5) It seemed to me like the seats were more comfortable than an ML's, although manual lumbar adjustment seems out of place in a $57,000 car.
    6) The overall feel of the cockpit quality seemed a step up from the ML's.
    7) The power third row seats are really slick in operation.
    8) I think you can only enter the third row from the right hand side of the vehicle; not too nifty.
    One more thing: the dealership did not have any brochures on the GL-450! You'd think it would be easier to produce brochures than to build cars, but evidently it isn't. I've encountered this situation before.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    I dunno. I looked at one yesterday. TONS of room behind the wheel, plenty of headroom and legroom- an area where the new GM900's completely missed it..Really hung up on the gas mileage and the plastic seats.
    The one I looked at stickered at $65k, loaded up with all of the electronic doo-dads. It did not have the leather option though. While the MB-Tex might look and act like leather, the bottom line is- it is not leather, it is plastic.
    I have been tossing around a two-year old (BMW powered)Range Rover over the past few months, driven a few etc. That vehicle just has a unique presentation. Crisp lines in and out. The GL just looks borderline grocery-getter.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Really the MPG numbers were only 14/18?

I had seen something like 18/24 as a rumor and thought that sounded much much to high.

Glad to see I was right.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Any word on a GL with the CDI BluTec? I went and looked at one today. I could see myself in one with a diesel engine. Not that gas hog V8.
    What were the EPA raitings on the GL you saw today?

I have had the first two couple of people come in cross shopping the GL with a LR3 this past week.

No one cross shopping it with the Range Rover yet.
    I'm getting confused. Is the BlueTec one engine and the CDI another? Does one require special low sulfur fuel (which isn't readily available), and the other - which is in the E class now, take regular diesel fuel that is in stations now?

I realize the Bluetec is very clean, and there is something about having to go to the dealer for fill up of the urea. But, is that the only diesel that is going to be in the R, M, GL and E????
    It had a 14/18 rating on the window sticker. I felt more comfortable in the back seat of the R class.
    The Blutec will replace the CDI in the current E320 CDI. It has more emissions crap. Probably drop the mileage. The CDI was designed to run on ULSD. As you pointed out it is not readily available in many markets. ARCO has sold it here in CA for over a year now. Also the current E320 CDI engine is still the inline 6 where the new one is a V6 if I am getting my info straight. Supposedly they will offer that new engine in all 50 states in several vehicles. I have talked to some E320 CDI owners that love them.
    Just got a good look at one these today. Previously I'd only seen it at the various auto shows this year, but on the dealers lot this thing is huge, especially next to the ML. It really hides its bulk pretty well otherwise. Somehow the interior manages to feel more upscale than the ML too, maybe it is the stitched dashboard. If the recent buzz around the GL is any indication this will NOT be another slow seller like the R-Class. The GL is my favorite of the R/ML/GL combo based purely on interior comfort and styling, plus it seems the GL is the only one of the three that has the new generation V8 for 2007. The ML500 and R500 appear to be keeping the old SOHC 3-valve V8. When the GL450 is raised on its Airmatic suspension you can see some original "G" in the styling. Now bring on the original G's facelift!

M
    There is so much confusion about MB's diesels for 2007. The E320 Bluetec is in one article a 50-state car set for a fall intro and then in another blurb it is 45-state model only. The only thing certain is that a E320,ML320 and R320 will go on sale around Oct, but the details are iffy. Oh and a GL320 is due to go on sale early next year, whether or not it will be a "Bluetec" model is not known.

I think they need to go all out to get the ML/E/GL diesels on sales in those 5 states in which they currently can't sell new diesels. In Cali and NY the E320 and GL320 in particular I can see being in huge demand.

M
    Ok that sounds more realistic then the 24mpg highway I saw in the original specs.

I think the R-class is a much better executive people mover then most other vehicles but if I was in the market for a vehicle like the R-class I would save 30 grand and buy a Pacifica.
    Because Mercedes is having a hard time selling the R class, they are agressively trying to sell them. You could lease the R class for the same amount as the Pacifica.

With the gas prices the way they are, we'll see how well the GL sells. Right now it should sell well because its a hot new item, but time will tell.
    I think you are absolutely correct. MB needs to aggressively market their superiority in diesel design. I think it would be easy to win back the lost to Lexus. Lexus has gone down hill in design especially. They just look like fancy Toyotas. My wife thinks about getting a new Lexus about once a year. We went looking the other day and she is not giving up her 1990 LS400 for anything they have to offer. We drove the ML350 at one of the Mercedes shows and she liked that. She did not go with me to check out the GL450. It would have to have the diesel for me to consider any Mercedes at this time.
    I think the big marketing push will come once the cleaner diesel is in place and they get 50-state certification. Then look out because I can see ads with the E/ML/GL/R all together touting their MPG numbers and other things.

M
    That should happen by this time net year at the very latest although I expect it sooner so we will see.
  • sflemingsfleming Member Posts: 12
    Ooops, I Should Have Never Gone To See the GL 450 by sfleming Jun 13, 2006 (2:50 pm)

I was really jazzed on an '07 Escalade for the wife and I was going to get an EXT in a couple months. We've waited an extra year to replace our outdated rides for the new engine, tranny and style on the "07.

Then we heard about the Mercedes GL 450. First I went to see it and was pretty impressed. I feared the wife would disdain its somewhat narrower and shorter (height) aspects. She hauls a lot of $%!# ! We live on a large ranch far from town and haul big loads of everything. Her family all drive Mercedes however and she knows they are good automobiles. She loved it. I loved it. I actually had more room in the front passenger seat than in my wifes expedition. (I'm 6'2" and 240 pounds) It was very quick. Quicker than the 'slade. It rode better and much quieter. The fittings and appointments are just about 100% superior to the american truck. The brakes were a whole nuther world to me. Holy jeebers! I didn't know 5500 pounds could stop that fast! With all the options we want compared to the same or near same on the Cadillac .... it's cheaper. The Mercedes will certainly have better resale value than the Cadillac. It has several options you can't get on the Escalade. Did I mention the thing is whisper quiet?

The only thing we felt would be better on the Cadillac was cargo capacity. Nope. The poorly storing second row rear seats in the Escalade eat up any extra space and you don't get a flat floor no matter what you do or what kind of seats you get. Then there are the ridiculous third row seats you have to drag in and out if you use said third row. Mercedes disappear into the floor in 4 seconds. They're nicer seats too.

I am now so ruined by my discovery of just what a Mercedes really IS .... I can't even get excited about the EXT. I've driven trucks all my life ... 40 years since I turned 16 and in my retirement I fancied myself tooling around in my very own caddy 'trucklette'. My dogs were all excited about getting to run from the truck bed to the back of my seat so they could snuffle my ears at will and then run outside and 'fly' down the road. How do I explain to them it may now never happen? Well .... at least the rear windows on the GL 450 go down all the way. hmmmmmmm his and hers GL 450s ? Why the ____ not?
    Interesting post. Not sure why the boards are so quiet, but both the GL and S-Class are selling well, but nobody is talking here. Now over at MBWorld.org it is totally different story. The S and GL sections are full of threads and owners.

M
    Well I haven't seen one yet in person but they people I have talked to that have seen the GL have not been impressed at all.

I have driven both the new ML class and the R class and neither one impressed me. The R-Class just might have been the most painful vehicle for me to drive ever.
    Well conversations vary.

M
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2004 C320 coupe, and a 2004 Kia Sedona. Looking to trade both for a more reliable SUV people hauler. Looked at the R class, but held off because of bad reviews. Wished Mercedes brought back a 7 passenger M class, now the GL comes along, so I got my wish and have to give it a serious look. The styling is not great, but I hope to get a test drive soon. Looked at Lexus LX but don't like the seating layout.
  • queequegqueequeg Member Posts: 12
    Have ordered a GL after being very disappointed with the Lexus SUV and un-interested in an Infiniti Armada-clone. Will no longer buy American due to consistent quality defects in other makes, and now am actually unhappy that it has majority US content, being assembled in Alabama.

Very pleased with all test runs and the power 3rd row seats, but disappointed that "suddenly" everyone's buying them and impossible to get all my preferences (keyless go and non-black interior) for a fully-loaded lease. Will be waiting a few weeks for one with 95% of what I want, but still perfectly acceptable.

Annoyed that reverse cameras not available, but wonder how much need exists when you have front/rear bumper sensors.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    i would also check out the audi q7. the styling is awesome in my opinion and it has nearly as much room as the gl.
    Good suggestion. Did check out the Audi Q7. Looked OK, but not my bag. Tiny windows, lower and more streamlined, but less storage and less towing capacity. The GL's height, storage/tow capacities and bigger windows are all preferred for a hundmobile must carry 3 adults and 3 big (~75 pound each) dogs who LOVE to look out the windows.
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    The gl does have much more height in the cargo area. the q7 is more of a large-crossover suv, while the gl is definetly full size. my favorite part of the q7 is the stying, inside and out, but, the gl is probably a more practical choice.
  • alcarnutalcarnut Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I happen to be close to someone who works at the factory and they build them all day with the rear view cameras. You may want to check with the sales person. I also saw it in the brochure that I received in the mail.
    Saw the camera operation of the Lexus LX 470 and on the Mercedes S class and liked it a lot, but simply not available in Pacific NW. The only one I could get, from the factory, lacked camera, distronic distance control and keyless entry. Took a month to arrive, too. Maybe they were short that inventory and excess on the "stripped down" version I got with quite enough bells and whistles (off-road, dual sunroofs, navigation & entertainment packages) to keep me reading manuals for weeks.

Fanciest truck I ever drove.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Driving a premium Mercedes SUV through a climate harsh enough to prevent trees from growing seemed, at first, a little ridiculous. However, the longer we cruised down the gravel roads of the Icelandic backcountry, occasionally running across a monster-tired Toyota Land Cruiser or four-wheel-drive Ford Econoline van, the more we realized that the GL was providing equal confidence, more comfort and certainly more range (709 miles at 23 mpg) than those vehicles."

Utility, luxury, efficiency and long range come together in the latest Mercedes SUV (Inside Line)
  • xchicagoan5xchicagoan5 Member Posts: 46
    I had a chance to purchase a new car over the weekend. I drove the 07 Escalade and also considered the 07 Tahoe. I also got a quote from my local Land Rover centre for an 06 V6 LR3. My current vehicle is a 05 V8 LR3 SE7. After reading the article over the weekend, I decided I would wait for the diesel version of the GL. My friend has one and he has already had a few problems but loves the vehicle. I figured by then most of the bugs would be worked out and I would get a flexible vehicle with good gas mileage.
    to drive the GL450 and I must say I was not impressed. I will give a more detailed account later but I thought only two things on it were any good.

The steering wheel is a good size and really does feel good in your hands. Their is just enough padding on the wheel and the leather seems to be of high quality.

The second row seats are faily comfortable and the leg and head room are good in the second row as well.

Everything else about the vehicle was junk. Complete and total overpriced Merc junk.

Just to give you one example the power folding third row seats does not have a sensative enough safety catch. I weigh over 200 lbs and I could hit the button to close the rear seat with me sitting in it. The seat did not stop till my chest was pressed against the second row with considerable force.

A small child that did the same thing could very well be seriously injured by that seat and there is no way for the driver to lock out the power operated buttons.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,259
    My understanding is that the GL and the Mercedes minivan (R-class) are both pretty dreadful; Autoextremist says that the new S-class does seem worthy of the three-pointed star.

The GL seems very softened and doesn't seem like it would have the off-road prowess of the the old G-wagen.
    Oh the R-Class was by far the most painful vehicle I have ever driven. Everything about it was subpar. Even the gas mileage was horrible. You would think with a 7 speed automatic, a curb weight under 5,000 lbs and CD of .32 it could do better then 13/18 MPG.

A fully equipped LR3 has a curb weight of 5,796 lbs, a 6 speed automatic and a CD of .41 gets 14/18.

The GL has an optional low range so it really has no off-road capablity at all.

The fate of the G500 is kind of up in the air. It has been discontinued so many times now and then brought back from the dead. What I have been told by people is that for next year it will be avaliable by special order only and they are winding production down at least on the civilian side. Military production will continue for a while.
  • jwilliams2jwilliams2 Member Posts: 910
    It's comical that a Rover dealer is calling other brands "junk". Different vehicles for sure, but having much experience with both, have to say I would take the Merc any day. You see, I don't do much Off-Roading. I bet the Benz dealers get Rover owners crying and wanting to trade everyday. And they would, too, if they could get anything for their Rovers.

So, can we just knock off slamming the competition? It is getting tiresome, and makes you sound like a typical car salesman.
This discussion has been closed.