Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Grand Vitara (2005 and earlier)

14567810»

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    does anyone know if there is a repair manual availible for the 2.5 Gv? i cant find one anywhere.. also does anyone know where the PCv is located at?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Did you check the ones for sale at SuzukiPitStop?
    thanks for the link.. but WOW $118 for a printer service manual!!! or $30 for a 30 day online manual that they say you can't copy.... i wish there was just something simple like a haynes manual or something... 8(
    I know - I paid about $100 for my Quest one back in 1999 and it really hasn't paid off. I've found most of what I've needed off the forums (but then again, I'm not much of a wrench, so a little goes a long way for me).
  • mrsronymrsrony Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 2000 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA with about 65k miles asking $9k. It seems like there was alot of problems with that year yet the others rate really well. We are torn between it and a 2002 Jeep Liberty with 90k miles for the same price. The price alone makes me think there is a problem. Any advice? Thanks for your thoughts. :)
  • mhkkcf4mhkkcf4 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara for $2500!!! It had sorta high miles (109K) when I got it but I have had it for over a year now and it is the best vehicle I have ever owned!
    I have heard good things about the Jeep Liberty's as well...but wanted to give you my personal experienced opinion. My Grand Vitara does not do well on wet or snow covered roads though...even in 4WD...it tends to slide on the curves and when trying to slow down on snow/ice, it gives me a wild ride...but it all has to do with the weight of the vehicle...the 2000 Grand Vitara is very light! Mine averages 22-24 mpg. All in all I love it!
  • aavscorpaavscorp Member Posts: 1
    I recently gave my vitara a tune-up, which consisted of replacing the plugs,p.c.v,valve, and air cleaner because it was recently brought to my attention that my suv have been consuming more fuel than normal. After replacing all parts, we still didn't have any success on fuel consonption. I have noticed before and now that when revving engine I noticed engine sound like its starving for fuel. Do anyone have experianced same problem and how do I correct the problem..?
  • rawgoldrawgold Member Posts: 2
    Try replacing the fuel filter, trace the fuel line back to the gas tank to find it. Usually under the body near the middle but could be anywhere. Also, try a fuel injecter cleaner, the stronger the better. This is up to you, I have been doing this for 3 years and have never had any detrimental problem; I add 2 ounces of Acetone to 10 gallons of gas, no more , no less. It took about 3 tanks of gas to clean things out, now get at least 20% better MPG. Also much more power, have to be careful not to burn rubber taking off! Check this site: pureEnergySystems.com for tech. Good luck, Rawgold
  • rawgoldrawgold Member Posts: 2
    Beware! If you change the fuel filter yourself, be sure to pull the fuse to the filter. Otherwise you will be drowned in gasoline which remaines under constant pressure in the line. You might think about seeking a professional to change it out. R.
    Make sure the engine was not ran in the last hour and Remove the gas cap, this relieves pressure in the gas tank. and wont force fuel out the line. Gas will still come out but not with Force.
  • sadsuzukibuyersadsuzukibuyer Member Posts: 1
    :cry: :mad:
    I bought my 1999 GV last August and everything was good for 3 months. Then I need a new timing change tensioner $1200(of which there was a bulletin posted on that part) and now I am buring oil like crazy and smoking out the exhaust every time I start the car. My garage (not a dealership) said that I need my engine rebuilt or replaced. This is $5500! Has anybody else had these problems? My car only has 74,000 miles. Surely I should not be having this much problem with the car?
  • golfingomezgolfingomez Member Posts: 1
    hey, my blinkers dont work anymore and im pretty sure it is a fuse problem because my hazards still work, but for some reason the blinkers dont, can anyone tell me:
    a.) where the fuse box is located and b.) what number i would need to replace

p.s. its a 2003 suzuki grand vitara
    Suzuki isn't too helpful - they want to charge you for viewing the owner's manual online:

Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online
  • ecapersecapers Member Posts: 1
    Where are the spark plugs located on the 2000 Grand Vitara V6? I bought some new plugs and want to replace the old ones and can't even find the spark plug wires. Thanks...
    There are NO plug wires. There is coil packs.. if you remove that black plastic cover on top of the engine you will see the coil packs (V6 engine im talking about)
  • xzhenkaxxzhenkax Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    You know i have the same exact problem with my vitara 2000 i bought. It's got blue smoke what they call it coming out of exaust pipe and it happened right after i had a guy change the tensioner. Did you ever got that problem fixed? what happened?
    please tell me i'd like to get my car fixed.
  • jtz54jtz54 Member Posts: 1
    Reading up on this timing chain probelm I saw in the TSB (service bulletin) that is was important to squeegee in the sealing compound into the gap between the cylinder head and block and head gasket. If that wasn't done properly, the oil may be seeping into the cylinder.
  • bean6bean6 Member Posts: 1
    We all have the problem of these 2000 Grand Vitara V-6 burning oil, any suggestion on how this problem can be resolved?. Will I need to get a engine overhaul done or should I just trade it in for a Toyota or Honda and let the dealer worry about the problem??
  • nursesrangelsnursesrangels Member Posts: 1
    Hello All!!
    I am in search of genuine help with the above query. I own a 2000 GV that has not given me any major issues. I have just passed the 112K mark with "Nelly", and I am getting concerned about how much time I may have before I need to have a car payment again??? I've been given mixed advice which does not lend itself to helping me make an informed decision about this??? I am on my own, and travel a great deal for my profession (nurse)...henceforth, I am frightened about getting stranded, etc. However, I would really like to keep "Nelly" for as long as possible??? Does anyone else own a similar vehicle, and what advice can you give regarding life span, etc. I am NOT knowledgeable about cars, and would appreciate any advice??? Thanks so much for any assistance!!!
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    With regular maintainence it should last for 200,000 miles. In the mean time save $200 a month so when it dies you can pay cash for the next vehicle and you will avoid payments.
  • 4x4me24x4me2 Member Posts: 1
    Had a similar problem with my 99 GV a week ago. It was cranking ok, occasionally it was almost starting when I held the key in ignition a bit longer for a second but then the car died when I let go of the key. I let it sit for a day while I searched the net for answers. A mechanic at justanswer.com (site I don't recommend) suggested that it could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator or the fuel pump.Anyways next day I thought I give it a try again and after the fourth try the car started very stubborny but it did, I had my foot on the gas and was pumping it as it started to rev it up. To this very day the SUV runs ok, so don't know what realy happened. My thoughts are that there was something in the fuel line or frozen fuel line, thouh car is garaged each day. The Fuel pressure regulator was replaced to as part of a dealer recall in 2004. I add fuel additive every 5000k such as Slick's Concentrated Fuel Injector cleaner to a full tank of gas ( $20 obo canadian $$$). I find car runs better after that. I use regular gas 87 octanes, but add the additive as mentioned. Hope this helps and good luck as i probably simply lucked out.
  • madmudmadmud Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara JLX with a 2.5 liter (H25) V6 engine. I need a part that’s mounted on the throttle body that Suzuki doesn’t sell separately. The engine was put into the 1999 to 2003 Grand Vitara (and some Trackers but I have no idea which ones) I’m having a hell of a time trying to find this part through salvage dealers for a number of reasons. The biggest problem is the part name and lack of official Suzuki part number. The second problem is a lack of specific information about the part.

What I know (or think I know) so far is the part is usually called a ‘Mass Air Flow Meter’ or ‘Air Flow Meter’. A picture of the unit and a diagram of its position on the throttle body can be found here - http://yfrog.com/e8suzukicombinedj. This is NOT the cylindrical ‘Air Mass Meter’ or the ‘MAP Sensor’. It's a black plastic part, approximately 3 inches long by 1.5 inches wide. It's attached to the side of the throttle body forward of the MAP Sensor. It has a plug connection on top, a small cylindrical protrusion on the side which inserts into the throttle body and two bolt holes for attachment to the side of the throttle body. The part has a Hitachi part number AFH55M-13 on the unit with a second number 8903 (the part shown in the picture is a generic after market part I took off a website in the Netherlands)

Here’s the thing; the AFH55M-13 part is used on a lot of engines and I think the second number (8903) may designate the engine size and/or model and/or year but I’m not sure. I’ve seen the part for 1.6 & 2.0 liter engines with 5### numbers for different (older) years and someone tells me they have a part with 8629 number they think will work but will charge me an unbelievable ‘restocking fee’ if it doesn’t.

So to make a long story even longer; does anyone know if/what the second number actually means and if I’m right in thinking it’s specific to size or model or year, what numbers can I put on my particular engine?

Also, does anyone know of any good Suzuki salvage/parts dealers in the US or Canada? Most of the yards I’ve talked to don’t ‘stock’ much in the way of Suzuki engine parts. You can get a whole engine but not much in the way of individual ‘non-dealer’ parts.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I’m about out of ideas (and patience)
  • kwhopperkwhopper Member Posts: 1
    I just took 7X06 off and replaced with 6827 from a JDM esteem on my 96 Sidekick Sport. The 7X06 came off my 98. It was replaced with 6306. I do not believe that number means too much. The AFH55M-13 is the key number. The others look like batch numbers.
  • vita1vita1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GV 4x4 automatic. I was just going to visit my father who lives around 12 miles from where I live it was a very hot day so I turn the ac on it wasn't really blowing cold air it was cold but not that cold so I figure better than not having anything by the time i get to my father's house I parked the car and there was smoke coming out from underneath the hood I thought it was dust but i checked it was really hot under the hood it overheated from having the ac on I also noticed on my way over the car wasn't accelerating as usual when the ac was on it felt really slow, I guess there is some connection between acceleration and the ac in this car well I haven't turn the ac on since then I afraid it will do something bad but summer is almost here and I dont know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated it.!
  • jcroyjcroy Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find one/answer? I am in the same boat and can't put another $2K into this old thing to buy the whole assemble new for one little part needed!

HELP!
  • bankshotbankshot Member Posts: 1
    Hi jcroy,

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get an answer for the Mass Air Flow Sensor problem? I have a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara - 2.5L V6 and I really like the car but spending 2K on this issue may be a problem.

Thanks,
    bankshot
  • afrolliafrolli Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Suzuki Aeoro sx....I need the same part the AFH55M-13 replaced but do not want to spent 1.5K on the whold Throttle Body that the dealer sells... can I just purchase this part without having to purchase the whole throttle body...did you have success doing that and how did it work out for you?
  • 14smoke14smoke Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 1999 Grand Vitara, I haven't had any problems until now - mass air flow meter. I ordered the part# AFH55m-13, had it put in and now the vehicle won't run at all. Did you ever get yours running? There has to be an easier answer!!!
  • mechanic350mechanic350 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find the problem with your 2.5 v6. I have replaced the mass air flow but it still dies, o2 snesor ties in to the mass air flow wiring and the evap canister. not sure what to change but if I find it I will post it on here.
  • jonmastjonmast Member Posts: 1
    2005 Grand Vitara V6, having a problem with rear running lights not working; fuses okay as well as the bulbs.

Any suggestions?
  • rockhound3rockhound3 Member Posts: 1
    '01 grand vitara 146838
    has a constant beep, repeats every 60 sec. coming from passenger side under dash. I have crawled over, under, key on, off, searched all sites for cell ph. or gps, or anything that would have a low battery alert.
    took apart glove box, has only just started for last 4 days.
    Is driving me nuts!
    Any ideas??