Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aatunlimitedaatunlimited Member Posts: 1
    when driving at hih speed > 100km/h, I experience heavy vibration of the steering and the vehicle as a whole. Also, while applying break, I experience high virbation. Could somebody tell me what to do.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Have your tires rebalanced, as a start. That should address the vibration at high speed problem, unless you have a bent rim or bad tire out of round.

Once you have that speed vibration problem fixed, then see if you still have the braking vibration. If so, then you likely have heat warped front rotors, which would need to be replaced.
  • mazjanjuamazjanjua Member Posts: 4
    during driving car engin turn off and all lights turn on,if i start again it will start and driving,my mechanic check it and all parts are good.
    i changed plugs,plugs wires,complete didtributer and main relay according to different mechanic advice.
    some body can help me?
    car may be stop at adistance of half km or 200 km
  • 94shadow94shadow Member Posts: 31
    Got my car back from the body shop yesterday and I had a pleasant surprise.
    My auto trans shifts perfectly now. The collision must have cleared all the blocked passages in the trans.
    But, now I have a check engine light that stays on. I read the code and it was a 12 (either the EGR or the oxygen sensor).
    I'll have to check it out today.

94shadow
  • AndyDubinAndyDubin Member Posts: 5
    Thank you to everyone who offered advice. In case anyone is interested, we did find the solution: My mechanic couldn't figure out why what he had done had not fixed the problem, so he retraced his steps. It tuns out that the brand new thermostat he had installed had come faulty from the factory. He then replaced the new thermostat with a second new thermostat and all became good once again. Also, to let you know that good,knowledgeable, and honest mechanics can still be found, I'd like to pint out that after replacing my radiator and thermostat, he refused to take payment for any of his other work. He installed the fan for free (I bought the fan and brought it to him. He installed it.). And then he covered all other costs after that. He has kept my business.
  • scottyj432scottyj432 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 93 Honda Accord, 4dr, 2.2 L, 123,000 miles. About a month ago, I noticed, or thought I did, that my headlights (low beams) seemed to flicker when driving at night. It happened so fast, I thought I was seeing things. Then this week, when I went out to go to work..in the dark..and started the car up the headlights would not come on at first (low beams), but then would go on and then off. I would have to turn the headlights on and off several times and each time they stayed on a bit longer and would eventually just stay on. At that time the highs worked fine but not the lows. Then this morning, both the lows and the highs would not come on at all. All other lights..inside and out..work fine. I called my Dad and he thinks it may be a relay. Would this be correct? If so, then the Lighting or the Dimmer Relay? Could a fuse be loose...they seem to be fine tho. Headlights do not seem to show evidence of being burned out but is it possible for both to go at the same time? Help!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Sounds like the light switch itself. If you can wiggle the (combination) switch, and get the lights to come on, that's your problem.
  • scottyj432scottyj432 Member Posts: 2
    This morning I went out and checked the light switch and it was OK, tho I wasn't exactly sure how to tell if it was bad, but it was not loose. Also pulled all the fuses from the under the dash just to make sure they were all OK and they were, and I might add, the wind chill this morning was 10 below so that wasn't too fun. Anyway, I went to an auto parts store and picked up a new light relay ($15.97), popped it in and problem solved. Headlights now work fine. Thanks for the advice tho. I was pretty much in the dark ,so to speak, on what the problem might have been.
  • glynosglynos Member Posts: 3
    my car idles rough/ almost dies at stop lights. I have replaced plugs, wires, distributer, fuel filter. Also sometimes the brake pedal will sink to the floor, no brake fluid leaks though. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might check for a clogged EGR valve or tubing, for the rough idle.

When you say "sinks to the floor" you mean ALL the way to the floor? If so, then you might have an internal rather than external pressure loss. If it sinks and then gets very hard, but does NOT sink to the floor, and the car still stops with increased foot pressure, then you have a power brake vacuum booster failure or leak....AND....if you have a power brake vacuum leak, this might also explain the stalling.

So your two problem may, or may not, be related.
  • glynosglynos Member Posts: 3
    hey thank-you for the insight.. one more symptom-- when I pump the brakes the rpm's rev up. Does this help furthur diagnosis? thanks again.
    That might indicate a problem with the power brake vacuum booster yes.
  • gojacketsgojackets Member Posts: 23
    I have never seen the radiator cooling fan come on on this car unless the A/C was turned on (then both the A/C fan and Radiator fan come on). Note - this is not a daily driver. I can not believe that my engine never gets hot enough for this fan to be needed.

I want to determine that the fan is functioning as designed and I am not going to cook the engine.

I have done the following as part of the diagnosis:
    1) Short the terminals on the thermoswitch connection (ignition on) - fan comes on as it should
    2) Removed thermoswitch and checked it for resistivity in boiling water - switch closes as designed below 100C (design is to open at 93C)
    3) Rebled cooling system to verify no air pockets

Qs: For anyone who understands and has worked with these systems:
    a) Is it possible that this system is OK or am I missing something else
    b) Is it beneficial to buy one of the aftermarket thermoswitches that opens at 80C

Thanks
    Does your car not have a temp gauge? And yes, you can lower the temperature at which the fan comes on by installing a different sender but I would use a factory one. And yes, the fans are supposed to go on when you turn the AC on.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Yes its reasonable. I had just the timing belt, balancer belt, and waterpump replaced on my '96 2.2L Accord LX for $478 (the next cheapest quote was $720, and the dealer wanted $850), so that sounds reasonable indeed.
  • jesseanisahjesseanisah Member Posts: 1
    I dont have any brake lights. I replaced the brake switch and still nothing?
  • ChowbrowChowbrow Member Posts: 1
    I have a 90 Accord LX 5sp. The problem I have is that the rad fan will not run when the engine is running. The fan works fine with the key off and cools accordingly then shuts off as it cools down enough. The relay is fine and the rad fan thermo switch is new. Could there be a problem with the ignition switch or wiring at the switch which would cause the fan not to run when the engine is on, but work as normal when the key is off? Has anyone come across this anomaly? Please help! :cry:
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Here is a link to troubleshooting the fan:
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/overheating.html#nofan. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 4
    whenever I brake, the steering wheel shakes but not too much. What could be the problem? I had my front tires replaced sometime ago and they did balance and alignment on it. Please advise.
    Thank you.
    warped brake rotors.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    2nd the warped brake rotors. They need to be turned, or replaced.
  • astorastor Member Posts: 30
    I just had the same problem, except the brake lights on the passenger side and the center brake light were out. I had my independent Honda guy replace the right side brake light sensor and viola it's fixed. You might have a problem with both the sensors on both tail lights not working. First, make sure your brake light bulbs are not completely burnt out.
  • cybercoolcybercool Member Posts: 117
    Hi all

My brakes are shot and need repair badly. When braking, I hear the dreadful sound of metal crunching together and the ABS light is on. When I get my brakes replaced, I'd like it to be free from any resistance and ride smooth. Is there anything specific I should ask my brake mechanic? Will the mechanic check for sticking calipers? Is Just Brakes® a reliable place to go to?

thanks
    Cybercool
    hi all

Will I see and feel any difference if I add a flowmaster muffler and airflow intake in my 93' my Accord and a tune up ? I really want my car to ride smooth and clean.

Cybercool
    Sounds like you need a complete overhaul on those brakes, including wheel sensors for the ABS. I'm not a big fan of automotive franchise operations, no. I'd suggest you go to an independent repair shop that specializes in Hondas. The franchise shops tend to over-sell you, and they don't always use quality parts, either. They'll always try to fix all your problems within their specialty. If the car doesn't run right, it's the brakes. If there's a hole in the muffler, it's the brakes. If rain leaks in, it's the brakes. Their focus is too narrow (of course I'm exaggerating).

I don't know what you have in mind for intake modifications. If you mean just dropping in a K&N filter and adding a flowmaster---no, that won't do you any good at all. If you mean adding a Cold Air Intake system, then yes, you would get better throttle response and a few more HP and the Flowmaster, while not giving much if any more power, would at least sound nice.

You have to keep in mind that from the front of your air filter to the tip of your exhaust is ONE BIG TUBE. If you increase the intake and the exhaust and do nothing in the middle (the engine), then your results are going to be very limited in ratio to the money you spend.

All it takes is money. How fast do you want to go?
    Thanks Mr shiftright

I dont want to go to fast but I'd like a quick pick up a little speed. When replacing the air filter for a cold air intake, should I think of replacing exhaust tubing and muffler? One mechanic showed me that the muffler is filled with loose dubris and crap in it.

Cybercool
    Sure a free-flow cat-back exhaust would be okay.
    Hello everyone,
    When using LED light bulbs on my turn signals, do you need some kind of resistor for the turn signals to work properly? The turn signal lights on my instrument panel goes on and stays on without blinking and the flasher has a very loud buzzing sound.
    I use the LED bulbs on my brake and back up lights without any problems. All your wisdom and help will be greatly appreciated by me.
    I hope someone knows how to remedy this situation.
    Mahalo,
    94shadow

:sick:
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If your car uses an older type of flasher unit that requires the load of an incandescent bulb, then yes, it needs an additional load. The other option would be to update the flasher unit.

Here is a web page that talks about the problem your having.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm

Mrbill
  • premdbnpremdbn Member Posts: 1
    Can I fit a 92/93 transmission into a 1991?
    Will it work? My concern is the "SPORTS MODE"
    stuff and the TCM.
    mrbill1957,

Thank you very much for your input. I had to remove the LED bulbs for my turn signals and replace it with my old incandescent bulbs. Now it works..
    I just received the resistors that I had ordered so here I go again. Try and try again..
    Thanks again for the information you posted..
    94shadow
  • trouble4u59trouble4u59 Member Posts: 3
    my accord engine light comes on after i drive it about 40 to 50 miles. when it comes on the engine jumps a little. after you part it the light goes out then you have to drive it again 40 to 50 miles for it to come back on. the car runs great other than the little jump when it comes on . i have replaced the o2 senser,didn;t help. do you think it could be the cat. converter. any help would be nice.

thank you john
    Code 43 is the fuel supply system
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
  • captiankingshtcaptiankingsht Member Posts: 22
    I have a 90 accord. Right now Im having an issue with the thermostat not wanting to open up when the car reaches running temperature according to the gauge. I have replaced all the sensors and relays underneath the hood already because I originally thought my fans were not working because of them. It turns out that the thermoswitch isnt getting hot enough to turn the fans on. The thermostat is supposed to open up before the fans come on which is why I have yet to see the fans come on automatically. I have checked the entier system for clogs. Flushed the system, replaced the thermostat twice, and I bleed the system each time I refill it. The system is building up pressure but for some reason the thermostat just wont open up. I have yet to find an answer searching around online so i decided to ask on here. I did find the website that was posted on here numerous times for the cooling system helpful in the beginning, but now it is of no use to me because I have tried all it had suggested. I may have done something wrong. who knows. Well sorry for going on for so long about my problem. I just have been trying to get some kind of idea what to do from here and need the help. I would also be glad to answer any questions anyone has about their accord to. I have working on them for quite sometime....well mine rather. I am usually able to troubleshoot well enough to find the problem but this time I am stumped lol.

If you need anymore info on what I have or have not checked or replaced just ask.

Thanks in advance.
    In some cars, it is possible to install a thermostat backwards.

Just a suggestion

Mrbill
    It is in the proper direction. thanks for the suggestion though
    What about testing one of the thermostats in hot water? They will open up before the water boils, usually are set for 185 Deg.F.

Did you try taking the thermostat out and run the car without it?

Mrbill
  • gojacketsgojackets Member Posts: 23
    Similar problem with a '93. My fan never comes on. The thermostat is apparently opening (or my engine would have already gone kaboom). I am thinking that perhaps there's a bad ground to the body (which could explain the fan not coming on). You might just put a lower temp thermostat in and see if that sorts things out. An alternative (not cheap) is to get one of the thermoswitches that are sold on the aftermarket which open up at lower temps.
    I haven't bothered testing the thermostat in water. I already have put a few different new ones in. They have warranties and I took them back originally thinking they were bad. But since I have had 3 different ones in there and I'm still getting the same problem I'm sure its probably not the case. I did run the system with the thermostat out. They system ran cooler than normal for a little bit. I tried to take the cap off the radiator to see if the water was flowing and coolant was pushed out the cap before i could even take the cap all the way off. I did relieve all the air pressure in the system so the water did flow out because of air pressure.

I'm starting to wonder if my water pump is working. If the thermostat is opening, and theres no water pump pushing the cold water in the motor then it will run hot. The fans would logically come on if the motor were hot, but they will not come on if the water at the thermoswitch is not hot. And since the water is not flowing then the cold water is sitting right where the thermoswitch is, keeping the switch from knowing that the engine is overheating.

Thats what I believe may be wrong. Is there any really good test that I can do to check the water pump? All the manuals say is there would be a leak, or a howling noise, neither of which I am getting. I don't want to do that kind of work if I do not have to so it would be nice to know I'm not wasting my time before I do it.
    One way to test your fan system would be to eliminate the thermoswitch from the equation completely like I did. I took a jumper wire and put it on the thermoswitch so it would make a connection just like a properly working thermoswitch would make a connection for the circuit to power the fans. When that was done, my fans came on. And since the thermoswitch is in good working order it led me to believe the coolant that is near it was not getting hot enough.

The thermostat opens fully at around 180 degrees, and the fans come on when the temperature gets, about 10 degrees or so hotter. The cooling system is supposed to use the circulation of water to keep the engine cool, and the fans are to only come on if they system alone cannot do the job. I have already considered getting a lower temperature thermostat and thermoswitch but I do not feel comfortable replacing those parts with ones of a lower setting just because they may solve the problem I am having, for now. If there is a problem in the system I want to find it and use the parts that are rated for the temperature that the car was designed for originally. Plus, if I were to just get a lower temperature thermoswitch and the fans did cut on, then I would be over working my fans because I know the coolant isn't flowing properly. The gauge would show me a lower temperature because of the fans running, but the hot water in the motor will eventually start to boil off.
    Are you getting any hot air when you turn on the heater? If you are, then the pump is moving coolant since the heater core gets fed from circulating coolant.

If I recall correctly, the pump I replaced on my 88 Accord had a stamped steel impeller. I guess they could fail (break off) or could be eaten away from old corrosive coolant.

Is the coolant in the radiator somewhat clear, or do you see alot of bubbles? Bubbles could be a sign of a failing head gasket, which can also give overheating problems.

Mrbill
    Hello to everyone for your past help. Need help again. When I start my engine the check engine light does not come on. It only comes on after about 30 minutes of driving.
    I checked the trouble code and came up with code 12. According to the repair manual it is the EGR valve. I replaced the EGR valve twice. The first valve was a used valve but, the second EGR valve was a refurbished valve. It did not help. Is there something else that is connected to the EGR valve that would make the check engine light come on?
    Anyone one's help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to mrbill and elroy for your past help.
    94shadow
    Check this out and see if it applies to you. You may need a port cleaning:
    http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf
    Regards,
    Corkscrew
    Well I am getting heat. So if that gives a sign that the pump is working then that makes me even more confused. lol I thought it may have been the pump because I never see any water flowing through the radiator like I have in the past. Idk though, maybe it is and I am just not seeing it. My fluid comes out perfect. Nothing seems to be mixing, and so far I have seen no bubbles. I wont rule out the possibility of a head gasket that is messing up, just yet. My oil on the other hand is the only fluid that is a bit odd. It has a weird smell to it. It smells sort of like exhaust fumes...and the coolant has the same type of smell but I see no sign of them mixing. So maybe it could be my head gasket....
    Thanks a lot Corkscrew.
    I'll try the repairs from the pictures.
    The pictures are really detailed.
    Thanks again.

94shadow
    I've noticed oil smelling like exhaust before, it's probably just contamination from blow by. Can't say I ever noticed any strange smells in coolant.

If you got an air compressor, you can always do a pressure test in each cylinder, and watch for bubbles in the radiator. You can pick up fittings for the spark plug holes at most auto part shops. I made fittings for my air compressor by knocking out the ceramic from old spark plugs, and brazing air fittings into them.

Mrbill
    Alright I'll give that a shot. How much psi. would you suggest I put to the cylinders?
    The pressures developed in a running engine are alot higher then your average air compressor can provide, so 125-150 psi shouldn't be a problem.

Don't forget, you will need to turn the engine over to the point where the valves are closed for the cylinder.

Mrbill
    Does the brake lights also need resistors or just the turn signal lights. I couldn't locate a flasher for my turn signals but i'm still looking for one.
    If anyone has a heavy duty flasher for a 92 Honda accord LX please e-mail me.
    Thanks,
    94shadow
  • bestpibestpi Member Posts: 5
    i have a 90 honda accord that has the 2.2L V4 and when i start it up i get a surging in the engine after about a minute any help there?