Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1990-1993) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bluesman73bluesman73 Member Posts: 3
    my 1990 accord will start when i turn the key, when i let off the key it dies.
  • soul1soul1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Honda Accord 2-door and it is leaking rain water onto the front drivers side floor. It is coming from somewhere around the windshield or between the windshield and door. There is also a little bit of water in the trunk near the back corners, Tail lights? Does anyone have any ideas of where the water could be coming from before I start tearing things apart and any ideas to fix it?
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    my 1990 accord will start when i turn the key, when i let off the key it dies.

Sounds like an ignition switch (electrical part, not the lock cylinder) problem. If you hold on to the key, not letting it go all the way back when it starts, can you keep it running? The contacts in the switch get worn down.
  • oldschool90oldschool90 Member Posts: 36
    Any tips on towing a fwd car with a dolly? :lemon:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You mean with the front wheels off the ground? Nothing to worry about except hooking up brake lights.
    I want to hook up some lights, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Here's my problem: I want a set of lights to turn on when the car is on, turn off when the low beams are on, and turn on when the high beams are on. The only problem is that the headlights have a weird double-positive wiring system when the headlights are on so I don't know where to put the relays. Any thoughts? :lemon:
    OK so we got our Honda running and everything, but it's overheating. It seems to stay at a reasonable temp while at highway speeds (right around the middle of the gauge), but slowly climbs up at stoplights. I was wondering if a faulty radiator cap is to blame. Also, a change of plans for the lights. I want them to come on with the car, stay on with the low beams, and turn off with the high beams. :lemon:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Does the radiator fan work? When mine quit in my '96 2.2 LX, the cool air rushing over the engine/radiator kept things cool while moving, but when you stopped, or loaded the engine hard (climbing a hill at low speed, etc), the temp shot up.

Turned out to be my main cooling fan motor (the one you hear running off and on during idle in the summertime). Was around $300.
  • tempmantempman Member Posts: 3
    Hey Bluesman,
    sounds like the ignition switch to me. Mine quit on me in town one time,but i was able to get it back home by holding the key about half way between start and run. It's an easy fix with basic tools. Have fun!
    Yes the cooling fan works. I don't think it would be the problem, we just replaced it recently. The radiator cap is spewing steam all the time, so could that be the problem? It doesn't seem like the cap is holding any pressure. Also would anyone know the estimated cost of having your radiator cleaned internally? :lemon:
  • gojacketsgojackets Member Posts: 23
    It sounds like a radiator cap issue; however, if you've recently lost and readded coolant (or been into the guts of the system for anything) - make sure you've bled the air out of the cooling system.
    Is there a wire under the hood that is only on when the car is running?
  • kkay2kkay2 Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I have a 1990 Accord Lx Automatic (have not had it long). When I first start the car in the morning, the temperature gauge needle goes from nothing to the center of gauge in just a few minutes, and the heater blows really HOT air if I turn it on. This is great when it's a cold morning, but I've never had a car warm up this fast. Does anyone think there might be a problem or does this sound normal? Thanks, KK
    My '96 Accord LX (same basic 2.2L engine as yours) heats up relatively quickly; its blowing heat in the first two miles of my drive, less than give minutes.
  • titus_pullotitus_pullo Member Posts: 24
    I don't know where you live............but here in the Northeast my 1992 Accord takes 5 to 6 Minutes for the temperature gauge to even rise a bit.

As long as you are not overheating.........you should be okay.
    Thanks. I live near Sacramento,CA, but it hasn't been very cold. I'm hoping it's just normal. When I do drive a long way, the needle stays in the middle of the gauge and so it doesn't seem to be overheating. The fan takes about 5 minutes to shut off after I turn the car off. I sure hope it's not an overheating problem... I don't really know. But, thank you both for replying. kk
  • gulfstormgulfstorm Member Posts: 1
    greetings,
    i wonder if you bled the air out of the system? their is a bleeder valve screw by the thermostat that you need to bleed the air out. Here is the run down for over heating i use on a honda 90-93 accord; fill up radiator with 50/50 mixture use a funnel in radiator and fill up the funnel so their is no air in the radiator,start car let run until fan comes on, (watching temp gauge always!) check that fan is running and heater is on full blast, Now find bleeder screw (it is by the thermostat hosing on the block) Loosen nut and turn the screw open wait until anti freeze solution runs out with no air bubbles. watch that anti freeze in funnel stays full as to not allow air in system,turn screw tight and tighten nut. remove funnel, rinse area with water, fill over flow reservoir as directed and check temp gauge. your done!
    Thank you! That sounds like it's worth a try.
    I appreciate you writing. KK
  • jw1103jw1103 Member Posts: 2
    got water leaking out of a small whole on side of water pump where can i get a plug for this or do i have to change the water pump
    new pump
  • jazzchazjazzchaz Member Posts: 19
    ...that hole is not designed to plug, but to warn you that the pump bearing is wearing out...it's time to replace pump...if you don't, you will experience eventual increasing noise, vibration and coolant leakage--not to mention the damage to your radiator...
  • jw1103jw1103 Member Posts: 2
    thanks how hard is it to replace
    Well I don't know your skill level, but the book says that for a trained mechanic it's 4.2 hours, or 4.7 with AC. So for you and me, probably a full day's job. :P

(not that we aren't brilliant mechanics, but the person who does them day after day has a large advantage in time-saving).
  • bluesman73bluesman73 Member Posts: 3
    this vehicle has realtime 4 wheel drive. sometimes it howls from the rea end when i punch it down and the wheels kic in to 4 wheel drive, also does it when i make u turn
  • silviodsilviod Member Posts: 13
    I have a 1989 accord 2 door coupe lx and i have 360,000km on it. The tranny is great. I change the fluides every 2 yrs and i use Full Syntech tranny oil and my oil is full syntech 5w30. I use iridium plugs and change them every year and change my air filter every 10000 km. Both fuel filters are changed every year. Take care of the car, change the fluids and you will be fine.
  • cybercoolcybercool Member Posts: 117
    hi all,
    I was told that only Honda steering fluid should be added into all hondas. Well, a few years ago a mechanic added a generic brand when my steering fluid hose was fixed.
    My car is starting to make steering noise when I make turns and I also notice rough steering. Can I just fix this problem by replacing old fluid with Honda brand fluid? Thanks
    cybercool
    Hi all,

Can I install new oxygen sensors without a catalitic converter? I dont want to throw $$$ away if it defeats the purpose. Thanks, Cybercool
    Hi all,
    Does a my 93 Honda Accord EX use two fuel filters?

Thx
    cybercool
    You should be able to do it; I've had mine replaced three times under an emission recall on my '96 2.2L Accord LX, and never had the catalytic converter replaced.
    Hi all,
    I'm getting this rough wobbly and annoying steering noise from my 93 accord EX. I was told to add only Honda steering fluid. How can I get back the smooth steering as if the car was new? Flushing with original Honda fluid will fix this?

I also understand it can be an alignment thing correct?

Thanks for your help.
    Jim
    i have 89 accord and i was getting the same thing. All my fluids are honda and syntech.
    My steering wheel shakes and vibrates, but got a balance and alignment and its perfect now.
    Here in canada it cost about 80.00 for alignment and 20 for a balance
    hi ,
    Can someone help me locate the oxygen sensors on my 93 accord? Are there two?
    Is this something I can change myself? A DIY type of thing?

Or is a professional mechanic needed?

Thanks
    cybercool
    While standing in front of the car (front bumper) if look where the exhaust heat shield it.........you should see it bolted there. It's not that difficult to remove. Just be careful and go easy. Spray lots of lubricant. I've done 3 dozen of those on our cars.
    Hey Titus

I've looked in front of my car at the exhaust heat shield and I dont remember seeing it. Is it possible to send me a pic of where you see the Oxygen sensor on a 93 Accord?

Thanks
    jim
    Hey all,
    Just curious. I want to set a fair price on my Accord EX 93 for sale with the following problems. I have the car 4 years and it's been good to me.

Automatic and has 165,000 miles
    driver side power window needs motor regulator replaced
    Oxygen senors needs replacement.
    ABS and light goes on
    power steering makes noise when turning ( maybe due to non-Honda fluid?)

no visible leaks, car is in good body shape, black in color and beige interior
    Jim
  • gojacketsgojackets Member Posts: 23
    I am sorting through a problem with the radiator fan on my '93 and part of the diagnostic procedure involves the fan relay. Trouble is, I can't find the thing (seems to be located somewhere under the dash). Help with identifying this sucker is appreciated!
    It's very hard to get more than junkyard prices for an old car with a full array of warning lights showing. I'd recommended that you fix the oxygen sensors and ABS warning light problems.

On a good day, with everything in order, cars like this might be worth $1500 to $2000, so with all your car's problems, you aren't going to even see $1000 in my opinion, as it sits.
    Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reply. I cannot post a pic here..........tell me where you want me to send the photo.

Titus.
    Hey Titus

Send it to cybercool66@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Jim
    Hi all,
    I'm getting this rough steering when driving and turning. I have a 93 Honda accord.
    Can it be because I don't have the genuine Honda steering fluid inside the power steering reservior?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Done!
    Could a bad fuel pressure regulator be the cause of my car not starting sometimes? The idle speed changes constantly too (Not bouncing up and down, just changes at every stop). It is also setting a code 43, which I was told was the fuel system or the o2 sensor. As for cybercool's question I don't think it matters what brand of fluid is in there. My Honda doesn't even have power steering fluid in it. Its full of a stop leak fluid they sell at autozone, and I don't have any problems other than the fluid smells burnt.
  • epris21epris21 Member Posts: 3
    When I drive my car everything is normal until I reach 50mph-60mph my check engine light comes and stays on. But if I pull over and turn the car off and start it back up the light is off. Now when I just driving around town the check engine light does not come on... Another problem is that sometimes my car will act as if its losing power and won’t allow me to push on the gas(The car doesn’t cut off) and pick up speed but then all of a sudden I get a burst of power and I’m on my way again. Once it does this about one or twice it doesn’t do it any more while I’m driving. What could be wrong?
    It would help if you would tell exactly which model and year you have.
    Hi
    I'm getting this whinding noise when steering. I get rough steering. How can I reblenish the steering system so it can steer like as if I bought the car new. 93' Accord EX

What should I check for?

thanks
    jim
    Yes.. It would sorry... 1993 Honda Acccord LX
    I had the same issue on my 89 accord, mine was the fuel pump, it lost power then picked up again and lost and so on.
    Thank you.. I will see if that's the problem..
    The fuel pump will not cause the engine light to go on. Your problem is the EGR valve. Replace it and clean all the EGR PORTS. Unless you know your way around the engine bay and are mechanically inclined..............get a good mechanic to do this.
  • dhondaowner860dhondaowner860 Member Posts: 2
    92 honda accord ex dosent start the engine turns over but dosent get starting. the fuel is reaching the engine but i dont think it is getting any spark. I got new spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor. what else should i check and how?