Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Excursion vs Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon XL - The battle of the titans

Comments

• ralphinnjralphinnj Member Posts: 10
    I visited the ford-diesel site regarding towing problems (stability at higher speeds) with the Excursion. The 1st few posts make things look bad, but there is some conflicting info, even in them. For starters, the Excursion should not tow very much different than the 250/350SD's since it is essentially the same. There is a lot of good history behind those vehicles already. After the 1st couple posts, one person writes that a huge improvement was obtained by increasing the air pressure in the tires. Another item that will definitely cause trouble is the tongue weight. If you've got more than the recommended 200 lbs, your trailer will be effectively lifting the truck chassis (front wheels will not have the full load on them), and this is known to lead to handling problems. Proper load balancing on the trailer is very important in this respect. A lot of experienced towers (that know all that stuff) have posted excellent results here with the Excursion. I would hesitate to give it a bad mark in this area yet.
  • siglosiglo Member Posts: 1
    You know, both Chevy and Ford have lots of problems. They are simply inferior to the relaibility of a Landcruiser or Land Rover. Deal with it! But, when push comes to shove, I think Chevy is built better. Its close though, but I've seen majore problems with both lines, and sometimes its simply a matter of getting one of production with all the right parts. Anyway, you can't tell me excursion built better than sub, and sub built better than excursion. They both can rock, and both can suck eggs!
  • mmullenmmullen Member Posts: 17
    Much of a vehicles towing ability (or lack of it) can be attributed to the distance between the rear axle and the trailer ball. The shorter the better. If the tow point is too far behind the axle it can allow the trailer to achieve too mmuch leverage on the tow vehicle which reduces the amount of permissible tongue weight and also transfers swaying forces from the trailer to the truck much more effectively because of the increased leverage.

Does anyone know if this distance is published anywhere so purchasers can compare different models with this in mind?
  • vwoovwoo Member Posts: 17
    We purchased an Excursion and took delivery in Austin, TX on 12/20/99. Paid $200 over invoice. We have an XLT with the V-10, 3.73 rear-end, 40/20/40 bench seat in the front and the bigger tires and AL wheels. It currently has about 1900 miles on it. I changed the oil to Mobile 1 at about 1000 miles and have attempted to change the ATF to synthetic through the drain plug but only can get about 6.5 quarts out at a time. My only highway driving was driving back from Austin to Tulsa and got about 14 mpg the first time and 15 mpg the second time (could have got back on one tank but the calibration of the fuel gauge was not very good). We have since filled up 3 times almost all city driving and get about 9.7 mpg.

I have not driven the 2000 Suburban because we were not going to buy another GM product due to the experience of our '96 GMC Suburban. The Suburban was a 3/4 ton with a 454 engine and 4.10 limited slip rear-end. We got 12 mpg on the highway and 10 mpg in the city. We had problems with the brakes wearing out initially at 30K, then 10K, now at about 25K. This is not too big of a deal, but it would have been nice to know that these brakes wear that fast and I never heard the squeaker to warn me so the rotors were scored the first two times. Had to replace a water pump, two blown tires two batteries, distributor and rebuild a transmission. I didn't have too much out of pocket expense because I got an extended warranty but one time we were on vacation and it broke down and had to spend vacation in the Wal-Mart parking lot from Thursday until Monday when they got a new distributor then I had to turn right around and go home. Other times, it seems that to repair a problem requires at least two trips to the dealer to get it fixed and one time it took three trips. Our only other car has a Honda and we had to cram all 6 on us into it (there were 2 baby seats as well). So our patients ran out on the Suburban and GM. Of course Ford is not without it problem. When I drove the Excursion home I found out that the heater was not blowing hot air (too late to turn around). It was a cold drive home. Finally when I got home and was filling up, I decided to wiggle the vacuum hose to the heater control valve and magically there was heat (one mile from home). The heat continued to be intermitant and so finally had to take to the Ford dealer. Turns out they had to replace the heater control valve and did not have one in stock so it took another four days to get it back (didn't want to pick it up since we still had the Suburban).
    I do not think that it is necessarily fair to compare a 1/2 ton Suburban to an Excursion which is build on a 3/4 ton chassis. The ride in the 1/2 ton Suburban will be significantly better. And if that you are looking for a smooth ride, the 1/2 ton Suburban is the way to go. I do think that it is fair to compare to the Excursion to a 3/4 ton Suburban. I understand that the 3/4 ton Suburban still utilize the same suspension as the previous year so I assume that the ride will still be similar to our '96 3/4 ton Suburban. In my opinion the ride quality is similar, that is STIFF. There seems to be more power with the 454 engine, but it had a 4.10 rear-end, and they don't offer it anymore and I suspect the 6.0l will be anemic for towing purposes because the torque is lower and is up higher in rpm's.
    The Excursion is quieter and has more interior room. My wife can actually sit in the 3 seat with two childeren's booster seats in them. This does come at some price in that the Excursion feels alot bigger than the Suburban. It will fit in any regular parking space since it is only a few inches wider, but it just feels bigger. Everytime I park, I look to see if I fit in the space and it does. It also fits in our garage. The turn radius is bigger in the Excursion, but have not found this to be a problem. We originally got the tow mirrors, but my wife did not like them and actually ran them into the garage as she was backing out (unfortunitly they do not retract in that direction and broke the plastic off on the mirror). They were $200 to replace the mirror, so we opted to buy the regular mirrors (both sides for $200) instead. I glued the plastic back together on the tow mirrors and plan to use them when we tow (4 nuts to unscrew).
    Overall, if your looking for ride quality, the 1/2 ton Suburban is the way to go. Power and room go to the Excursion (vs 2000 Suburban). Had bad experience with the GMC so it has tainted our feelings for GM, although I can remember a Mercury Station Wagon my parents had as a kid and it was a piece of junk. I guess time blurs the memory. I hope our Excursion doesn't run into as many problems as we had with the Suburban. I wish Toyota had an SUV that would hold 9 and pull our 30' trailer.

Van
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    After months of debate and reading everything on
    the Excursion and Yukon XL, finally decided on a
    White Limited 4X2 with V-10, 6 CD Player, heated
    seats,standard--not limited slip 3:73 rear end, bug
    shield and molded mud flaps (paid $124 for the
    molded Ford flaps and that price included
    installation). Picked it up out of state while on
    business and drove 850 miles (mostly highway) and
    used 54.304 gallons of gas, that works out to a
    little over 15.6mpg, not bad for being brand new,
    and that is almost the exact same as our '91
    Suburban got on the highway. A few notes, yes the
    Excursion is a little stiffer than the 1500 Yukon
    XL. The Excursion is less than 1/2 inch wider and
    only a couple of inches longer than our '91
    Suburban 4X2. The Excursion interior is the closest
    to our '91 Suburbans, it does not give you that
    enclosed feeling like the '00 Yukon XL when ordered
    with bucket seats and a console, plus the wood
    trim really makes it look sharp (same as it did in
    our '91 Suburban). Also like all the storage areas
    in the doors and the large center console with a
    door that opens to the rear rather than to the side
    (just like our '91 had). Our '91 Suburban gave us
    no problems and after 9 1/2 years, we were able to
    sell it for 10K. Hope the Excursion is as trouble
    free. If not for some of the quirks, as mentioned
    above with the Yukon XL interior, this decision may
    have been in GM's favor.
    Good luck it's a tough decision and drive safe.
  • bowtiebillbowtiebill Member Posts: 17
    It appears that car-truck.com is almost nothing but Dodge and Chrysler stuff. There are a lot of new cars and trucks coming out of GM in the next few years that were not addressed there.
    And a comment earlier in here said that they laughed at the front end of the Suburban and then they bought an Excursion. I can't believe you actually like that blunt "side of a building" look of the Ford over the Chevy. But to each his own I guess.
  • joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    I attended this event in Minneapolis yesterday. Part of the comparison was to drive a loaded 2500 Yukon XL and a loaded Excursion Limited around a made up test course with straightaways, tight turns, tire strips, hard stops, etc. The Yukon had the 6.0L V8, and the Ford had the V10.

Obviously GM would not put this event on without knowing it could beat the competition, but I was amazed at how different the rides were. Even the 3/4 ton Yukon with carried over rear leaf springs had a sports car like ride.

The GM had better acceleration, much better stopping, the turns were no competition and you could barely feel or hear the tire strips, where in the Ford, you could really feel it bounce.

I wish they had a trailer towing test, because I find it difficult to understand how the Yukon wouldn't win that one too.

The one thing the Excursion does have in its favor is SPACE. Its huge inside. Too huge for me, but some people do need that space. Its too bad they have to suffer so much in the ride department. Sorry Ford people, until this competition, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that the Ex was an tolerable drive, but not at all compared to the new Yukon XL.
  • 39928243992824 Member Posts: 5
    joelis,

The reason the Test didn't compare towing is because results published by AutoWeek (will get back on the issue) favor the Excursion, 0-60, etc.

Also, just because GM claims the 2500 2WD Yukon XL will tow more than any Excursion, that don't make it so. Fords 10k limitation is the max that any responsible authority places on tag trailer towing. Any more and a fifth wheel hitch is required.
    I have no doubt an Excursion can tow a big house if it wanted to, but if I had the option, I would rather tow a small house with a yukonxl and be comfy at the same time.
    These trucks are not comparable.

Edmunds review takes the approach that these vehicles are built for grocery getting, which a large percentage will be purchased for. Without any purpose for heavy duty towing or hauling hefty or bulky items, the Yukon XL may give you a softer ride and a tighter turning radius.

The Excursion is a truck, and some people will not be happy with it's truck-like characteristics, but for truly heavy duty usage, it's the only choice.
  • ldrldr Member Posts: 9
    It is really obvious that everyone writing in about the Excursion being...too big, too slow, can't stop, uncomfortable to drive, can't turn it around on a football field, etc, etc...hasn't driven one or at least put a few miles on one! After having 3 Suburbans (and liked them all) and put a whole bunch of miles on them, I know what they are all about. The Excursion isn't a whole lot different except for being "a bit" larger. It is built on a heavier frame and longer wheelbase so somehow it would have to ride a little different and have a different feel. But after 7056 miles I have no complaints whatsoever with this vehicle (and I spend the better part of the week traveling with it). I think all the "armchair" critics who read all the motorhead magazines ought to at least ride in one. Travel safe.
    Just to add, if we removed all of the negative hype in this board coming from armchair Excursion drivers, we'd have only constructive criticism left (offered by actual owners/drivers). Imagine that.....
    You don't have to get defensive and try to justify your purchase or preference with 'armchair driver' statement. I think post #60 was very clear.

LDR - you are comparing the old Suburban to new Excursion - I would say that is a fair and closer comparison. But its not the same comparison when you look at the new suburban. Old burb and new burb are two completely different vehicles.

I would not buy an old burb. They ride too much like, like, like an Excursion...
  • noburbnoburb Member Posts: 2
    it boils down to what suits your individual needs and desires. no one would not argue against the fact that the suburban is more comfortable. each vehicle has their own benefits. i had one of each and ended up keeping the suburban over the excursion. the excursion was very nice though
    Right on the button!
    I am here to get constructive information about the Excursion, and that means unbiased comparisons. Your post 60 has some good points in it (and I would really like to see Ford do something similar), but your personal preference (you do own a Silverado....), and then some, is apparent. The rides are different. I drove them both also. Intolerable? Nope. What I object to, is the implication that anyone who would buy an Excursion will have to put up with an intolerable ride ("Sorry Ford people..."). That's not constructive (because it is inaccurate, and for me, leaves the realm of opinion), and it makes me discount the rest of your opinions regarding braking, acceleration, turning, etc. The truth is probably somewhere in between. Unfortunately, most posts here go past unbiased input and color the outlook so strongly in one direction or the other that the reader is left wondering where the truth lies.
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    I bought a '99 'burb in '98, so the Excursion wasn't out yet. I do NOT like the 2000 'Burbs. I saw one at the KC Auto Show. It had an S-10 like cheap interior. The Excusion was FAR better!
    Also, the Excursion (or CHUNKY as we call it)
    had more interior room, and a great diesel engine.

The only problem I have with the Chunky is that it don't fit in my garage!

I have a Ford Windstar and it's a great machine. I expect that the Ford Excursion will be as well.
    The only thing I like better than an Excursion is a '99 4x4 3/4 ton 'Burb with the 454. That's just been my preference. One point about SUV's. I can fit in them. I'm 6'5", 265 lbs. and wear a size 17 sneaker. The last time I sat in a car, I needed a can openener to get our. Comfort, security, and safety is provided by these SUV's.
    I will not go back to a car
  • whistelnutswhistelnuts Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Chevu Suburban with a std 350/3.73 rear
    end. I wanted to offer input on towing issues.

We purchased our Suburban for many reasons but one
    big one was towing capacity (5500 lbs for my set
    up). I have not been satisfied with my towing
    performance at all and have done quite a bit of
    research.

The issue is instability at higher speeds
    (50-65mph). Post # 53 addresses this very well but
    I wanted to add/support. I pull a 23' T/T that has
    a GVWR of 4500lbs, well under my tow capacity. My
    sway was ridiculous - to the point where I had to
    slow to 20-30mph's to calm it down. I had the
    dealer where I bought the T/T re-adjust my set up
    at the tongue and load levelers...no improvement. I
    went to local chevy dealers and towing is not
    their strong suit. I went to a few local
    hitch/trailer companies and they got me straight.

I was told that this problem is a big issue on
    Burbs. And, recently when I went to get some
    accessories they told me that the Excursion has it
    too.

The cause is a few things but like #53 said the
    distance from your tires to the ball is a big deal.
    I have a fiend who has a similar T/T and pulls it
    with a 98 Dodge Van - you barely even know the T/T
    is back there. I had to invest ina anti sway
    control and a different load level set up to get
    mine under control and I am still not satisfied.

Now, to be fair...I am not an engineer and I am
    certain there are other issues involved. I will
    tell you this - On my camping trips I have asked
    other "Burb"" owners and they ALL say they have a
    similar issue.

I think Chevy and Ford need to adress this.
    Just so you know, I am not biased to a particular brand in itself. I go for what works best depending on what is available at the time of selection. Right now, the Silverado happens to be working great for me.

I leased a 97 F150 S/C when they first changed to the new style because I liked the looks of it. It didn't give me any problems, but the ride itself wasn't great, and the engine was a little weak.

I was really close to Leasing a 99 Expedition when the F150 went back, but the ride of the new Silverado convinced me to stay with a pickup for one more term. IMHO, I liked the 99 Expo better than the 99 Tahoe, but now the 2000 Tahoe should force Ford to make some changes.

I've also owned a 94 Blazer and a 96 Explorer. Both were small unsophisticated pieces of junk as far as I'm concerned.
  • howarthhowarth Member Posts: 2
    Jeep was going to introduce 2004(maybe 2005) a new Grand Wagoneer based on the RAM full size platform. The estimated price was close to $50k ($48ish ?) I heard Chrysler axed the Jeep design and re-branded it a Dodge (same design) to bring the price down $15-$20k. Gotta pay a premium for those Jeeps. I'd love to see a Cummins turbo diesel full size SUV. A friends 1999 Ram Cummins gets 21 mpg empty or pulling a loaded 2 horse trailer. I'd assume the SUV would be comparable. I'm looking for a diesel SUV now, but not impressed with the choices so far.
    Dodge has big problems with their auto truck transmissions. I have personal experience with this.(under warranty, thank goodness) Check with your local Dodge dealer and if you can get an honest opinion from any of the techs they'll tell you the same. They even derate the Cummins to 420lbs/ft on torque with an auto trans.

They need to redesign the drive train before they produce any other full size trucks.
  • vwoovwoo Member Posts: 17
    As I have previously mentioned, I owned a 1996 GMC 3/4 ton Suburban with 454 and 4.10 LS rear-end. Now I have an Excursion with V-10 and 3.73 rear-end. I think this is a fair comparison and probably comparable to the '00 3/4 ton Suburban since the suspension is still the same in the 3/4 ton. I tow a 7500 lb 30 ft. TT. I use a Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller and a Hensley hitch. The brake controller was transferred to the Excursion and the Hensley stays with the TT. These are only my subjective impression and no objective measurements were made.
    First thing I notice was that the ride was better with the Excursion. My wife previously described a horse like ride when going over dips and bumps. There was less of this feel in the excursion.
    Second, braking was significantly better with the Excursion than with the '96 Suburban. It felt like I could actually stop on a dime. I would assume the 2000 Suburban could stop better than the '96 Suburban, since it also now has 4 wheel disc brakes.
    I had to tow in 3rd gear with the Excursion (direct drive) whereas in the Suburban I could tow in over drive. (Of course I had to replace two clutches in the Suburban also).
    Overall impression is that towing with the Excursion gives a better sense on control. Part of this is related to the weight of the Excursion in that the tow vehicle is more similar in weight to the trailer and therefore the trailer doesn't push the tow vehicle around as much. I went with the 3.73 rear end because 90-95% of the time I will not be towing and I could live with towing in 3rd the rest of the time vs always having to live with the 4.3 rear end. I did not have any sway with either vehicle at 75-80 mph.
  • iwanna1iwanna1 Member Posts: 4
    ralphinnj
    I agree w/you. I don't know why such knowledgable people have to insult each others decisions on which suv. A few months ago, I too found myself trying to decide between the 'burb and the excursion. I have to admit, I loved them both. I thought they both looked great, had comparable gas mileage, price, and features. I made my decision after 3 extensive pages of who had which options. It is my personal opinion that the suburban had more luxurious options-like a high end sedan. However, like I said, it was my personal opinion. You have to write down all the options you are looking for and what you will be using the vehicle for and then "YOU" decide. It really is a matter of personal preference.
    The Suburban and Excursion are both great vehicles so you are in a win/win situation.
    Good Luck!
  • artus12artus12 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2000 Excu. Limited for a month now and could not be happier. It has V-10 and 4X4, etc. My wife drives it every day to school (teacher) and has no problem parking. Excellent visibility and she is happy, as am I. The only dark cloud on the horizon is the threat of $2.00 gas this summer at vacation time. UGH !!! I have installed factory mud flaps and K&N Air filter based upon the positive remarks I have read here in earlier comments. I do wish the headlamps were brighter though, but have found no aftermarket source for upgrading those.
  • keiths2keiths2 Member Posts: 1
    Got stuck out at Glamis in some real soft sand(8 to 12 deep) with toy box trailer that weighs about 7000 lbs loaded. It was on a slight uphill, I thought there was no way to drive out of this with out help, but we drop tire pressure down to 20#s on the truck tires (which are the Firestone all seasons) and dug paths for the tires and drove right up the hill with the trailer. Mine has a V10 4x4 with 4.30 LS average all around driving is 9.6 mpg, towing the trailer it got about 7 mpg but that was on the gas, next time I'll set the cruise at 60, I'm sure it'll do alot better. So far no problems, way better than the Tahoe we had. Owned it for 2 years had it in for warranty work about 22 times, no repeat problems. That thing was the biggest piece. I could go on and on.
  • jhunterbobjhunterbob Member Posts: 17
    I just picked my 2000 Burb up on Monday. So far, I love the vehicle... of course, it only has 100 miles on it!!!!

But seriously, I have a 2wd LT with Traction package (AKA locking Differential).

I do not plan on towing, my wife loves her garage and this is the vehicle that would fit in the garage and take us with our 2 little kids and a few more people whereever we wanted to go.

But the real reason for the SUV over the Excursion was the $6,200 in GM mastercard rrebate that I was able to use for the downpayment!!!!

Ford dropped their card!!!
  • retractretract Member Posts: 13
    I have driven two Excursions and here is my story. First off I really wanted an Excursion because I believe Ford generally does a better job in the design department. I currently own an Expedition and a Suburban so I know my heavy trucks.

The first Excursion that I drove was fresh off the truck. It was a 4x4 Limited, black and it was very nice looking. It had the locking difs and the 4.10 rear. I drove it 100 miles before giving it back to the dealer. I think I would have purchased it except for the mirrors that would not fit in my garage. The v10 was very loud from 0 to 20 mph. The gas mileage was poor at combined hwy and city of 10.5. The engine is half under the hood and half under the dash in this thing and I would hate to have to work on that engine. I think this location is partly to blame for the increased noise. I was very disappointed in the acceleration of this truck. The leather interior made it difficult for more than one conversation to take place at once. Voices really carry inside of the truck.

The second Excursion that I drove was just last week. It was a XLT 4x4 that had 5,000 miles on it. I drove in in the mountains of Utah for 330 miles. The v10 was quieter - break in must have helped. The cloth interior made having 8 people inside much more bearable. The truck "hunted" due a loose feel in the steering - not fun to drive on the mountain roads. With 5K miles on it the truck already had about 3 rattles. It did OK in the snow but I doubt that it had locking difs. Gas mileage was 12.5 for the entire 330 miles which was 80% highway. Saw 14.5 going from Park City to Salt Lake City (almost all down hill) and 10.5 going back up the hill.

I'm glad that I had so much time in this truck and it made my decision easy - It is a no go on the Excursion. I am sure if that first Excursion would have fit in the garage that I would be owning one now. I love those big mirrors! They saved me.
  • ruoregonruoregon Member Posts: 8
    Want to change from the stock air filter on my V-10 Excursion to a performance filter from K&N. I did this on my 4.6ltr Expedition and had great results. Any idea's?
    to #86. I have the K&N and it has improved
    throttle response and mileage. I also left stock air inlet off as it restricts air flow from behind radiator support. Its kind of like putting a straw in your mouth to breathe, it can be done but a heck of alot nicer to get rid of the restriction.....
    to #86. I have the K&N and it has improved
    throttle response and mileage. I also left stock air inlet off as it restricts air flow from behind radiator support. Its kind of like putting a straw in your mouth to breathe, it can be done but a heck of alot nicer to get rid of the restriction.....
  • ruoregonruoregon Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the update. I look forward to just a little better mileage now that the price of unleaded is pushing $2.00/gal.
  • amoraamora Member Posts: 204
    I commute 133 mi/day and from what I have seen, most people who drive these BIG SAFE, MONSTER SUVS, are Soccer Moms who drop kids off to school, baby sitter, dances, child care, drop their 2nd Husband' kids from 3rd marriage off, then go
    grocery shopping, malls to buy clothes, pick-up
    lawn food, sacks of manure, hay, plants, dry clean, stop by and see their lovers on side, any number of reasons, or men who commute to work.

And the select few who are die hard campers,
    off roaders, (NOT ROCK CLIMBERS, MUD OR SAND
    DRAGGERS BUT mild offfroading in desert, etc
    you know camping or picknicking with nuclear, extended or regular families....

I think these gas guzzeling behemoths are awesome, I think they are beautiful and make a statement that say, "I am affluent enough to buy them and gas mileage is not an issue.I buy them for the safety of my children and family"

I like small souped up hot rod mini-trucks myself, have owned the
    smaller 4X4 S10 BLAZER/TOHOE units, have owned a '77 Toyota Landcruiser and plan to buy
    a Suburban or Excursion or Expedition as soon as grandkids start to appear, unitl then I will continue to enjoy seeing these vehicles on my
    commute to work..Just my opinion, no diss or slam
    on anyone or their comments....

A paradigm by AMORA
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Glad you like cars (trucks), so do i.I have a friend that has a syclone that took me for a ride,awsome! He would from a stop power break it then let it launch.No wheelspin, just pure G-force acceleration.It was computer limitted to around 100 MPH but it sure got there fast.Have fun with your trucks.BTW, im expecting my new suburban LT in about two weeks. Mike
    I just got my 2000 Suburban 1500 LS 2WD. I love it except I do think Chevy took a step back in a few departments and Ford has some good and bad in my opinion with the Excursion. Since everyone seems to be posting opinions on here I'll do the same.

Ford - Cons: Too big, rides rough (I did drive one for a full day), fuel mileage, looks of front end. Pros: floor is mostly flat with exception of transmission tunnel, overhead console, dutch doors in back, swing out rear windows, map lights on every row (as I recall), full floor mats on second and third row.

Chevy - Cons: floor is bumpy unlike the older Burb, no more full overhead console, did away with tailgate, did away with map lights above third row seats, cheapo floor mats everywhere especially second and third row.
    Pros: looks much better than Ford (my opinion), rides better than Ford (everyone's opinion), still hauls the mail (or in this case my 5500 pound boat), better gas mileage, fits in the garage (although mine stays outside, the Vette and my wife's Jimmy get the garage).

I do intend to write a letter to Chevy about some of the disimprovements (not a word, I know) that they made in this year's model and I have already taken care of one of those by getting aftermarket floor mats. I still like the overall vehicle a lot though and will always own a Burb. The main thing everyone here should realize is that they should be happy with their purchase, whatever they get. And don't try to make yourself feel better by putting down the other person's truck.
    Thanks bowtiebill; I agree that the attitude we all should have here is to respect each others' choices. In "real life," not many people (I haven't run into any) would make some of the brash comments we see here. Btw, I agree for the most part with your assessment; although, in my case, I am a pickup truck driver through and through, so I actually like the stiff ride of the Excursion (but to each their own).
  • ldrldr Member Posts: 9
    I totally agree with the posts above. Everybody likes "their" ride. Unless you have "lived" in a vehicle I don't see how anyone can judge another. I have owned my Excursion 4X4 Limited PSD for 4 months and 8988 miles. I have just returned from northern New Hampshire where I spent 3 days and traveled Route 16 from Gorham to Errol (approx. 30 mile stretch) 5 times. This piece of road (I am being kind calling it a road) is possiblly the worst "frost heave" section of road one could find anywhere in the northeast. It is a joke with all the locals. It is so bumpy they should charge admission for the ride. There are little "roadside stands" all along about a 15 mile stretch selling TEETH! (just kidding) It will rock you! It is an asphalt washboard! Because my hotel and where I happen to be working were at different ends of the "rollercoaster", as I said earlier I had to travel it 5 times. After owning 3 Subburban 1500's previously I knew the Excursion was not expected to give me the same ride. After spending 4 months and nearly 9,000 miles I must be getting used to it. Maybe it's the additional weight...the longer wheel base? I'm not sure, but the "roadability" is great! Even on Rt 16 dodging: MOOSE (lots of 'em), potholes, and bunkers...this vehicle was amazing, and quiet. Not a single rattle or squeek. You certainly know your "in a battle zone" when you travel Rt 16 but I was not tossed around as one might expect. These Excursions just don't ride like all the "arm chair" experts say they do. They are built SOLID and a pleasure to drive. Should you ever take a wrong turn some day and end up on Rt 16, be careful...the moguls can swallow you and the MOOSE are everywhere!! Travel safe.
    Glad you are enjoying your ride. That sounds like an interesting trip. I think I'll stay off that road!!
  • barneytoonesbarneytoones Member Posts: 2
    A local manufacturer of "air ride" suspensions recently borrowed my Excursion to measure it up for a prototype suspension unit. They make them for other model trucks and people say they give a wonderful "cushioned" ride. Eagerly awaiting the time when I get mine put on. Their url is http://www.keldermanmfg.com/

Have no idea of cost, etc. For all those who ask why someone should spend additional money, look at what is being spent on roll bars, fog lights and grill kits.

Good luck. I love my Excursion!
  • ssautterssautter Member Posts: 2
    We're looking for a San Antonio-area family that owns a 2000 Chevy Suburban to be part of the new Suburban catalog. Participation first includes an interview about your positive Suburban ownership experience. If you qualify, your family will be photographed in the San Antonio area or Hill Country during April 11-12-13 and compensated for your time. Please e-mail ssautter@cecom.com before noon on Monday, April 10 if you are interested.
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    I own a 99 K1500 'Burb with the 5.7 (350) V8, 3.73. rear, with limited slip.
    I'll be towing a Hi-Lo trailer this summer; it weighs about 4000 lbs. I know the Excursion could tow this trailer, no problem. Just wondering if this burb could tow it okay, OR the 2500 would be better.
    I towed a 5500 pound boat and trailer with my old C1500 Burb many, many times with great results. Never knew it was back there except on very steep hills. Of course the 4WD is rated a little lower in towing capacity (presumably because the 4WD weighs more itself). I just towed my boat to the lake and back with my new 2000 C1500 Burb and I can't believe it but it towed even better. I didn't expect this with the new coil springs in the rear but the back end didn't sag one bit and the new four wheel disc brakes worked like a champ. This is the only thing that ever worried me in my old Burb because I had to disconnect my trailer brakes a few years ago. Just didn't follow closely. The new discs are great!
  • vcroesvcroes Member Posts: 1
    Well, I guess it is about time y'all heard my little story... I am the owner of the first and only Excursion in the Republic of Argentina. We bought it in Canada via email/fax (sight unseen) and shipped it via truck and RORO to Buenos Aires, Argentina where I am currently posted. Arrived safe and sound about three months after I ordered it. We've got the Estate Green PSD Limited 4x4, 3.73LS, skis plates etc etc, and let me tell you folks, this is one awesome vehicle. Most people think I'm at least half crazy running around in a rig this size in Buenos Aires, which is a city of about 12 million people with mostly European sized streets and diesel fuel at about $1.75/gallon (gas costs double that). My 5ft2 gal has no problem piloting our Fordzilla around the streets of BA with our four anklebiters... in fact the people here just love this thing, their mouths hang open in amazement and admiration. Here an Explorer is regarded as a huge (and hugely expensive, figure $40k+ for a loaded model) vehicle. The trailer-tow mirrors take a bit off getting used to but we haven't knocked off any cyclists' heads yet. The kids like saying "thunk" every time we pass one though!

Only have about 1500 miles on it so far but very impressed... the sound and ride is trucklike but just what I want. Nothing like the rattle of the PSD on a cool morning. Highly satisfactory power and acceleration, cruising 140 kph is most serene if you know how to handle the old gal. I notice it is kinda thirsty at that velocity, but hey, places to go, things to do, people to meet, you know. I added a Poron reversing aid so far and am looking to doll it up with a few more goodies. Like a stonkin' airhorn that will blow the little BA cabbies right of their crappy little Peugeots and Renaults.

Happy trails folks. All you Fordzilla drivers out there be proud you own the [non-permissible content removed]-kickenest 4x4 made. IMHO, hehe.

Happy customer in Buenos Aires.

p.s. All you Burb pilots out there, enjoy your ride. Different strokes for different folks and all that..... I am not the least bit concerned about the size issue, even my lousy Ranger (thankfully stolen) didn't fit in my driveway, let alone my garage! You want a 4x4 that rides like a Caddy, go for it! I like the mucho space behind the 3rd seat for all of our camping stuff. And GMC/Chevy diesels suck like a $500.... you figure it out.
  • biggermeany2biggermeany2 Member Posts: 2
    hey folks, i just started a topic, #2593 i want to hear from people who have towing experiences with suburbans, i want to tow a 6000lb TT. what can you tell about what is best to pull with, a 1/2 ton 3/4 ton would a 1/2 ton-3/4/ton pickup do the same as a suburban? let me know what you know, thanks a bunch. also what is the best high-tech hitch to use?
  • dwh6dwh6 Member Posts: 10
    The only reason anyone needs to give as why they own a huge SUV is the following:

BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!

I am fairly tired of people telling other people their choices are stupid. It is fine to have a debate, if the object is to understand. But the anti-SUV crowd (and now, it appears, the small-SUVs-are-ok-but-not-big-ones crowd) does not really care about learning at all.

I own a Durango and wouldn't purchase an Excursion (primary because I get a DC employee discount!). But I don't put anyone down for their choices.
  • mariclemaricle Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 4X4 1500 Suburban in January and currently have 7500 miles on it. Mileage results are as follows:

Using the reformulated gas in Houston:
    City - 14.5 Mpg
    Highway - 15.5 Mpg

Unsing the "normal" gas when on a trip
    City - 15.5 Mpg
    Highway - 17.5 Mpg

My highway driving is usually about 75 MPH with the cruise control set.

As a side note - my suburban hasn't had a single parking garage problem in downtown Houston - but about 60% of them could not accomodate the Excursion!!
  • protravelprotravel Member Posts: 19
    I got the Excursion Diesel 4x4 and on a day when I had more time on my hands getting to work, I played with the mileage. I filled up the tank, reset the trip computer and drove like I had an egg under my gas pedal.My goal was to see how far up the ladder I could go. Well. I got 19.2 city driving, stop and go for the 35 miles to work. Do I get that all the time, heck no, just wanted to see the possibilities.
  • johnm_texasjohnm_texas Member Posts: 2
    I have about 2,000 miles on my 2WD PSD Limited Excursion. So far I have got a bit over 15mpg on all stop and go city driving. About the same as I was getting on my Aerostar with a 3L 6.
  • barneytoonesbarneytoones Member Posts: 2
    Well, as a new Excursion owner (V10 Limited), I was a little shell shocked when I rode in my buddie's new 2000 burb. In general, the ride is softer, the interior looks like a luxury mobile not a truck, it offered climate control front and back, LED displays, ON-Star computerized help and tracking system (wow - like the cadillacs), split bucket seats for the second row, easier access, comparable room, and more that I am sure I did not notice.

To balance out things, I am sure my Excursion can tow my boat better simply because of its weight and length. Thats why I bought it.... BUT to all you staunch Ford vs Chevy people...give the Burb some credit. Its a great vehicle as is the Excursion. Truthfully, I probably would have bought the burb if I had known. My Ford dealer relative probably hates to hear me say that and I am sure he knows that the family discount he gave me kept me from looking elsewhere. SO people.... BOTH Burbs and Excursions are great!
This discussion has been closed.