Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• zakimanzakiman Member Posts: 71
    Thanks for the quick reply. is 4mm/10 is equivalent to 4/32 seconds of an inch? I assume the minimum is 2/32" for most cars.
    I talked to the service advisor today and he was baffled tyat I never changed the front brake pads at 133K, because I told him I still have the original pads!!!

Does anyone has had their front brake pads last that long ? above 130K + miles?

Just curious :)
  • krichkrich Member Posts: 3
    on your first question yes 4mm is very close to 4/32. next yes I have 108k on my front pads and they have plenty on wear left.
    Thanks [krish] for your response. Glad you clarified the wear thickness. I thought that 4mm = 4/32" or 32 seconds of an inch,whatever the correct terminology is.
  • vre3vre3 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone with 2000 four cylinder LX has experienced a problem where the engine cranks with no problems, however the engine does not start. The battery is new, and the wires, cap and rotor were replaced a month ago the last time I had this problem. A month ago I had the car towed to the dealer service due to this problem and of course the car started with no problem as soon as it was rolled off the flatbed. At that time, the service tech recommended that the original wires, cap and rotor be replaced as a possible cause, but of course, he made no guarantees as he did not experience the problem, and therefore couldn't properly diagnose the situation. I can tell you that on the three occasions in the last year when I had this problem, it was either snowing or raining. Are there other parts in the ignition system besides wires, cap and rotor that are susceptible to moisture?
    If so, are any of these other parts easy for me to replace myself?
    Thanks for your help.
    vre3
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    vre3
    First, you need to find out what is missing. Spark at the plugs, or fuel in the cylinders. After that has been determined, testing would begin. Can you remove a spark plug?
  • ivicaivica Member Posts: 34
    I have a 98 Accord LX with 260,000 kms. I have the original rear shoes and drums. the shoes are getting to the point of needing replacement. I measured the drum diameter and it is still good with about 1- 1.5 mm left. The drums wear surface is quite smooth with little to no roughness. Should I consider new drums as well?

What factors should be considered besides being on size.

Regards
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Almost sounds like they were hardly doing their work at all. I guess if you're satisfied with the way the car stops and if the drums aren't showing signs of overheating, then you're okay. But I'm wondering if there isn't some front/rear brake bias issue. Do you chew up front brakes fairly quickly?
    No. I get good brake wear, I'm pretty easy on my brakes. I tend to coast and time my lights and I don't tail gate. It's a rare occassion that I brake hard.

My first pads lasted 165,000 kms and I changed my front rotors at 225,000 kms.
    Okay then fair enough. I'd keep the drums as long as they are within spec and show no scoring or burning.
  • newb435newb435 Member Posts: 4
    I read your message and I have a 2000 Accord V6 with the same issue. It only happens periodically and after the engine is warm; just like your case. The engine light comes on and stays on until I clear the codes, which shows all cylinder fail indicators and doesn't pin point the problem. Once cleared the light stays off until the next occurence. I read my manual and for idle issues, it recommended replacing the TPS. On another blog I read where some owners have replace the EPG value. I'm sure what to try first. Any ideas or resolution with your vehicle?
  • obi3iceobi3ice Member Posts: 16
    hi Mr_Shiftright. Have finally fixed the chirpin sound i used to hear in my car. it was from the shaft. But i still hav a problem of the left tire hittin the fender when i enter a bump. Am suggesting shanging the strings or could it be the shocks?
    Again my air bag red light seems to stay on . What is the possible cause.
    Reply. Thanks.
    Yeah you might have a dead strut on that side (bad shock).

The air bag light could be a bunch of things. Fuse, bad ground, bad sensor. You'll need to have the codes read on the SRS system to narrow it down. You could check all the fuses I suppose...I think most SRS systems have more than one. Your owner's manual should help with this part at least.

In any event, with the light on, your air bag is probably not working at the moment.
  • langolango Member Posts: 2
    I am having a similiar problem, did you get yours corrected. what up?
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    I had similar problem with my LX v6. One morning out of the blue it cranked but not start. Had it towed to dealer. Tow truck driver tried to start it after delivering it to dealer and started right up. Dealer said it started right up for them too, but the service manager was quite familar with this type of behavior and had the main fuel relay replaced. Never had another problem since. He was great, but he's not with them anymore...unfortunately.
  • newb435newb435 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input. Do you remember the cost for the relay replacement and do you know if I could perform the swap? I do most of my maintenance and I was wondering; I'm willing to try this if its not too expensive and depending upon whether the dealer has to do it. Its also an unknown on whether this would fix my problem. At this point it would be a trial an error senerio.
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll change the shocks alright but the SRS light some say the air bag expires after 10 years. My car is a 1998 model. Could it be possible that the air bag has expired??
    Please reply.
    I had mine replaced under warranty so I don't know the cost or its location. Sorry.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Majestic Honda sells the main relay for under $40. Here is a site for the replacement procedure:
    http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/bl_hmr_1.htm

Regards
    Corkscrew
    Well the sensing part of the airbag system has expired, we know that already :P You mean the explosive charge? I doubt it.
  • psugrimpsugrim Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my brake lamp coming on. When it does, my signals so not work. But if I let off the brakes they work. Did you ever fix your brake light issue. If so can you post it. :confuse:
    so does that mean it is safe for me to drive it like that? Since the explosive charge hasnt expired, those it mean that on any impact, it will release? Again thanks alot, i finally changed the left back shock absorber to new ones and the hitting of the tires on the fender has stopped. As you said earlier, it was a bad shock absorber causing it all the way.
    Please reply about the air bag.
    No, it's my understanding that if your SRS light is on, the air bag MAY NOT fire. Could be just a bad seat belt sensor or something, but you don't know unless you diagnose it.

I wouldn't count on the air bag firing, no. There are two ways to find out, one of which I don't recommend. :P
    ok. and d other one you recommend is?????
    Diagnose why the light is on and hopefully find out it's a bad seat belt sensor or impact sensor.
  • 2000accordse2000accordse Member Posts: 10
    Hi Elroy5,
    Just wanted to update you and anybody who's been following this thread that since Jan-19 when the lights went off by themselves, have not come on! This is a great news for me!! :) I do observe that all the lights are working when I start the car.

I did not bother to check LFI or replace odometer light. But I opened up clock to see if bulb is burnt because the clock doesn't light up. It is burnt. Need to get a new one.

I have one more question but will post a separate thread for it.

Thanks,
    VJ :)
  • 2000accordse2000accordse Member Posts: 10
    Hi Everybody,
    I have 2000 Honda Accord SE wit Automatic transmission. After car warms up in the morn, the idle speed stays about 700-800 rpm. Is it correct?

I find this a bit too high, because while idling if I don't press the break the car starts moving by itself. Clearly fuel flow is high enough for it to keep moving. Should I reduce the idle speed. Will it improve economy?

At most times, gear shifting on this automatic gear box is smooth. But there're times when it is quite jerky. e.g. say we're going downhill at high speed without pressing accelerator and we come stop for taking a turn, now after slowing by great extent, if we apply throttle now, the car doesn't respond immediately. There's a lag in gear engagement. It is as if when we came to stop, the car did not automatically shift down to lower gear to prepare to engage it. After pressing accelerator, it takes a few moments, like 2-3 second gear suddenly engages and car starts moving.

I find this strange. What do you think? Car has about 87,000 miles. I am the third owner.

Thanks everybody,
    VJ
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    As far as the idle speed, in the morning, when the engine is cold, the rpms will be up. If the idle speed does not go down to about 600-650rpm when the engine is at normal operating temperature, then you have a problem.

The transmission thing now. When I had my 92 Accord, when I came to a stop sign, if I didn't stop the car all the way (0mph), it was like the transmission didn't know what gear to go into. It would hesitate, then take off. If I stopped dry, it would take off normally, in first gear. It did this for 140k miles, and I never had a problem with it, so it wasn't a big deal.

Sorry I can't solve your problems, but I think they are characteristics of the car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    It is normal for your car to "idle forward" when you aren't pressing the brake pedal. 700 RPM is where both of my Accords (as well as my grandmother's 2002 LX 4-cyl)seem to rest when at a stop and sufficiently warm (one is a 1996, the other a 2006, both 4-cylinder automatics).

Don't sweat the idle thing; it sounds just right.
  • biodunbiodun Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2002 Honda Accord (4 Cylinder), The Maintenance Required Indicator flickers and goes off whenever i start the engine. i carried out a comprehensive maintenance on the car, afterwards, the indicator comes up whenever I start the engine and stays permanently until the engine is off.

what do i do next?
    Go into your owner's manual and read how to reset it.

I believe it goes something like this:

With key in OFF position,

Push and hold the trip/reset button.

Keep holding the button, Turn key to II position (seatbelt beep and warning lights come on)

Hold in this position (button pressed, key in II) for 10-15 sec

Your light should be reset for another 7500 miles now.
    Recently my DRL light has started coming on. What is the purpose of this light? If I turn on my lights the DRL goes out.
  • jjauxierjjauxier Member Posts: 1
    I just had my ignition switch replaced because of the same problem. There is a recall for this so you should be able to get it fixed at no cost from a Honda dealer. Just beware that they will tell you that you need a lot of other work done, too. They quoted me about $900 worth of work that needs to be done.
  • mymadelynnmymadelynn Member Posts: 1
    First the honda seemed to have a little oil around the plug when dh went to change it the last time. We also notice some oil around the #3 spark plug. Made an appointment for Thursday but wondering what we should be expecting. Also how often must the timing belt be changed. I can't find the bill from last time but I think it was around 150K. It has 243k on it now. This is a highway driven car about 150k a day. We would like to keep it for at least another 150k. What should we expect for a repair bill.
    Also how often must the timing belt be changed.

For the 4-cylinder, every 105k miles.

For the V6, I want to say 60k, but I could be wrong on this one. I'm positive about the 4-cyl though.

I got quotes ranging from $475 to $750 to replace the belts and water pump on my 1996 Accord (you should replace the water pump when you do the timing belt).
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    105k on my 02 V6. It's about 7-800 for the belt and the water pump,which they do at the same time.
    Pretty sure the v6 is same as 4 cylinder, 7 yrs or 105k. The time factor is just as critical as the mileage since it is made out of rubber. Time can take its toll just as much or maybe even more than mileage. And with the v6 being an interference engine major damage can occur if it breaks.
    If a person waits to do all the 7 yr. 105 k recommended maintenance items at one time, your looking at BIG bucks. I've kind of prioritized them, with the most critical one being timing belt, water pump, seals, drivebelts done together. Next will be replace plugs(and probably wires) and then have the valves adjusted. All together these are about 2k worth of work at the dealer. I just try and spread the cost over a year or so, that way it doesn't sting as much.
    I've got very nearly 180k miles on my 1996 Accord 4-cyl and that car has never had (or needed) a valve adjustment. It runs and idles smoothly, and I see no reason to get it done.
    Well, I can't visually SEE why it should be done. Just like I can't visually SEE when a timing belt needs replacing. I trust the engineers who designed the engine to know what they are talking about. My understanding is that the exhaust valves tend to get tighter and the intake valves get looser. If the exhaust valves get too tight you end up with burnt valves and a decrease in compression, hence a decrease in performance. Why risk it? I don't like to waste money either, but all the money I spent trying to properly maintain this car would be for nought if the performance suffers because of neglecting one critical recommended service.
    I hear no clacking, and am closing in on 200k miles with the car - I just don't find logic in spending hundreds on a valve adjustment on a $2500 car. I will be having the timing belt done, however, before I sell it next year (already have a buyer who has wanted it for 2 years).
    I think a "best buy" is having your annual inspection done by the dealer. They are looking for work and will certainly find whatever is wrong with your car for free,in effect. No charge for this fascinating suggestion. :)
  • look4helplook4help Member Posts: 1
    My sons girlfriend needs to replace the drivers side electric window motor. has anyone completed this? Was it easy? I plan on checking the fuses, and then will look at removing the door and gaining access to the motor? Is it gear driven at the point of contact? Maybe it just needs a good cleaning, or bad connection. Don't know any history? when and if it ever worked?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    This may be somewhat helpful:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/PartsSearch.jsp

Select your model, year, trim, and research items "Front Door".

Could be a fuse or relay (does she have her manual)?

Then again, could be switch, wire harness, regulator (motor).

Did you try the "lockout switch"? Do any of the other windows move?
  • cckittenscckittens Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 honda accord ex and the first time you drive it each day it hard shifts from 1st to 2nd. After about 5 minutes its fine and wont do it again until the next day. Is this a transmission issue or maybe it needs the fluid flushed? It has 132k on it. It dirve smooth after the initial 5 minutes. Any thoughts?
    Don't flush it. Just do a drain and fill using only Honda brand ATF. About $60 at the dealer.
  • swiggy8swiggy8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. My Low Fuel Indicator light used to come on in my 1998 Honda Accord when I had the factory air intake installed. But since I replaced it with a newer cold air intake, my Low Fuel Indicator light has stopped turning on. And this has been going on for well over 6 years. And although it doesn't bother me, I know my car can go way under the E before running out of gas. So, I have just learned to deal with it.
    Just thought you should know.
  • dvdlghdvdlgh Member Posts: 9
    I had a Mazda with the same problem. Instead of replacing the electric motor, I cleaned it buy spraying electric contact cleaner into one of the small holes in the motor housing. After "swishing" it around good I drained it and filled it with electric motor oil and drained it again. I reconnected the electrical connection and the motor worked fine. Make sure you try it under load (installed and operating the window). It was still working fine when I sold the car a few years later. You can get electric motor oil in a small container for a few bucks at a good hardware store. Get a Haynes manual for the car and be sure to read the section on the airbags before doing anything eletrical, epecially around the dash and doors. It's not as difficult as it appears. I don't know what a Honda dealer charges for labor by you, but two years ago it was $85/hr in my area.
  • rogrdatrogrdat Member Posts: 2
    For my 2002 Accord V6, the driver's side front window no longer responds to the switches. I would appreciate if anyone has ideas as to what I could check / do to address this problem.

thanks in advance,
  • selimozselimoz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Accord ; as the temps are going up it it stalls, I have the same problem , if you fined the answer please let me know
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    You'll have to take the door panel off, and meter the switch output to the motor. Problem could be a bad switch, or a bad motor.