Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (1998-2002) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kkaufman1kkaufman1 Member Posts: 12
    The honda Head light's used to have daylight feature or Did they? we also have a 2002.
    anyway, there was a chime that would let you know when you left your lights on and parked. :confuse:
    There is no longer a reminder chime ? any Ideas. :confuse:
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I might be wrong but there is not such a thing as REAR running lights if this is the same Daytime Running Lights. Those lights are only for headlights.

If the rear lights come on when you turn your parking lights on, you should be good.

Joe
  • kkaufman1kkaufman1 Member Posts: 12
    I agree, You should have Parking Lights or Marker Lights. But The rears should be a part of that.
    Kurt
  • karl1westkarl1west Member Posts: 2
    What are the lights that turn on at the rear of the car when you turn the headlights on? What ever you call these lights, they are not working. How do I trouble shoot this problem?
  • sanchez0561sanchez0561 Member Posts: 9
    Live in south Texas. Wipers only work when it is cold outside! Relays?
  • danmohiuddindanmohiuddin Member Posts: 9
    I have a 98 accord LX with 140,000 miles. The shocks and struts have never been replaced and the rough & bumpy ride proves it. I am thinking of repairing / replacing the shocks and struts all around but not sure about the cost and more importantly if it makes sense to do so and the implications of not repairing anything. I intend and plan to hold onto the car till at least 175,000 and likely beyond but need to insight into this potential repair and issue. If you have any experience with this matter, please share...I would love to hear and see what can of worms I could potentially getting into.

Some things I need help with:

1. cost to repair / replace
    2. impact of not doing the repair / replacement...maybe just a rough ride which I am already used to anyway
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I'd say, if your struts are not leaking, making noise, or your car keeps bouncing, after you hit a bump in the road, the struts are still OK. If the struts are anything like the ones I replaced on my 92 Accord, they are not easy to change. Unless you pay a lot more, for struts with springs on them, you will have to switch the springs over to the new struts. This requires a spring compressor, and is a very dangerous operation, especially for someone who's never done it before. You have to line the bolts up at a certain angle, and with the spring compressor I had borrowed from Autozone, it was almost impossible. I don't remember the exact cost, but good quality struts will cost a few hundred dollars easy. Don't do what I did, and spend a lot of money and time replacing perfectly good struts, just because they have some miles on them.
  • kim84kim84 Member Posts: 3
    What year Accords have this transmission problem? I have an 02 and haven't had a problem but iti is a standard. I've been considering an 07 as mine 02 has 150K on it but I don't want to buy an Accord year that has transmission problems.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    I believe honda has a long history of weak auto transmissions. The 98-2002/3 autos are the ones with the particularly bad reputation. They did not have a recall, but there was a class action lawsuit against honda that resulted in the warranties being extended to 7/100 I believe. If you got one of the autos that didn't have a problem, you're fine. But I can also tell you that once you get a honda auto transmission replaced you will probably continue replacing them. If yours was a manual you have no worries (assuming your 3rd gear never gives you trouble - a long problem with honda manuals).
  • obi3iceobi3ice Member Posts: 16
    Hi mr shift. Have a problem with starting my honda accord 1998 model with about 128,00 miles.
    It cranks well but does not start the first time. When it cranks the second time, it starts normal. What could be the cause cos am a lil concerned about this?
    Any ideas would help.
    Thanks.
    Obi.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might have a bad fuel pressure regulator---the logic being that if it is leaking down at night, you won't have fuel pressure in the fuel rail at start up, requiring the fuel pump to re-pressurize the rail with fuel all the way from the tank.

Also, no harm in checking basic tune up items on your car.
  • bajajoesbajajoes Member Posts: 48
    Your post is the first I have read about 3rd Gear Trans problems for '98-'02 Accords.

I have a '01 Manual 5 spd and would like to know what to look for and if the problem occurs at an average mileage on the Accords?

Looking forward to reading your reply. Thanks, BJ

:shades:
    All the automatic transmissions recalled were V6 only. No 4 cylinder transmissions were included. That eliminates most Accords.
    edited February 2010
    Mine is a 4 cyl and when I had mine replaced (several times) I always saw other 4 cyl accords there for the same reason - auto transmission replacements. Service manager - whom I've come to know - says they do a lot of them (4 cyl). And I do believe the class action suit involved ALL the transmissions, not just 6 cyl.

As for the 3rd gear in the manuals - you can check the forums here. I'm sure the problem still exists.

As a friend of mine who owns a shop told me - as good as honda engines ARE, their transmissions ARE NOT.
    I'd like to see a copy of the recall notice. I've had two Accords myself, both automatics, for the past 17 years. and neither of them had/have transmission problems. I guess that makes me special. :D
    I'd like to see a copy of the recall notice. I've had two Accords myself, both automatics, for the past 17 years. and neither of them had/have transmission problems. I guess that makes me special.

I still have my 3x5 card from honda. It wasn't a recall, but a notice to tell me of the class action lawsuit and the warranty extension. If you google honda transmission problems I think you will see it's not limited to the accords by any means.

For me, the accord has had 3 replacement transmissions and a motor mount. In more than 35 years of driving I had never had a transmission or motor mount replaced in anything but the accord. Aside from those items (and a couple of SRS lights coming on for seatbelt replacements) it's been an incredibly reliable car and a very inexpensive car to own. Had it been anything other than a honda I would have gotten rid of it a long long time ago. Patience is a virtue :) I usually have two cars in the garage, but have kept the honda in spite of what else I owned. I am looking at new vehicles, but do not plan to get rid of this accord.
  • kevman3kevman3 Member Posts: 30
    car runs great still....32 mpg highway......perfect commuter....change the mobil one every 7500 miles, thats it!
  • riverknollriverknoll Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a 1999 Accord EX with 55K miles on it. Everything good except seems it idles high at stop lights. My other vehicles are Toyotas and typically rev at 500 at stop light and very quiet. This Accord revs at 750-800 and feels rough and shaky, but drives fine otherwise. Tried fuel injector cleaner but no luck. Will tune up this weekend with wires and plugs and distributor cap and rotor and gasket. Where can I locate the fuel filter and is it difficult to replace?
    edited March 2010
    riverknoll.
    Your vibration at stop lights could be a motor mount problem, but check that out before just taking my word for it. The high idle could be because the previous owner thought that would solve the vibration problem. I could be way off, but it happens a lot. The stock Accord wires are pretty good, and they should last a very long time. I would definitely not replace the oem wires with cheap aftermarket. Do 99 Accords have distributors? I thought they were all electronic ignition by that time. Maybe not. :confuse:
  • gozagoza Member Posts: 1
    were you able to find the problem and how to fix it?
  • jazzchazjazzchaz Member Posts: 19
    you might also check for a manifold vacuum leak or a cracked or removed vacuum hose
  • haynes80haynes80 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2010
    Can someone let me in on the secret of the location of this evasive fuel filter please.
    It may not have a fuel filter. I know my 03 V6 doesn't. There is a screen (sock) where the fuel pump picks up the fuel from the tank, but that's it.
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    edited March 2010
    I was told by my mechanic that the fuel filter is located in the gas tank and is not easy to get to.
  • silviodsilviod Member Posts: 13
    yes he is right, its in the tank.

does the mph hour numbers on your dash light up? ihave a 2001 accord and it doesn't light up, just the KM/Hour numbers
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    My grandmother has a 2002 (same generation) Accord and the MPH numbers light up, and I feel like the KPH numbers are at least visble, if not backlit. Are you in the US, or a country where KPH is primary and MPH is secondary?
  • ivicaivica Member Posts: 34
    What is the purpose of the rubber seal on the end of the caliper slider bolt? I was freeing up some bolts this past weekend and soaked the bolt in gasoline to clean it. The rubber tip swelled up. I was not able to reuse it. I put the slider bolt back in without it until I can get one from the dealer? Just curios what purpose it serves as far as design.

Thank you.
  • beetoy61beetoy61 Member Posts: 8
    replace your fuel pressure regulator,it will cost you 60$ to replace the part.
  • italianbutyitalianbuty Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 honda accord V6 coupe withthe exact same problems as you. I have changed the catalitic converter cause it was broken, the distributer (used one), ignition coil, fuel pump, did a tune up, cahnged pcv valce, egr valve, cleaned egr ports but check engine light is still on.

Car stalls while driving, sometimes starts back up right away, sometimes takes 5 trys but ti always starts up. It cal stall city driving, hwy driving or stopped ata red light. I took the car to 5 mechanics and no one has fixed the problem yet.

Please if anyone has come to a solution to this problem, please share.

Thanks alot guys!!!!
  • sl156sl156 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Accord. Last year I had similar starting problem. After I changed the ignition switch, the stalling problem went away.
  • ivicaivica Member Posts: 34
    +1^ Had a similar problem several years ago on my 98 Accord. Dealer changed the ignition switch and it was fine after that. It's a known and common problem with that generation of Honda Accord.
  • sistarsistar Member Posts: 19
    my 98 i4 accord loses about 1 quart every 1500 miles, there is no leak and the bottom is dry and I never see any smoke out of tail pipe. I use only mobil synthetic 5w30. Other than this, the car is running fine. Shall i just ignore it and keep adding oil? I suppose the lost oil got burned rather cleanly?
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Burning a quart every 1500 miles is not a good thing for catalytic converter. What is your mileage? It might be cheaper to watch the oil level and add oil and see how far that will take you than trying to fix the worn piston rings or valve seals.

Some 2000-2003 Jettas use a quart every 750 miles and VW says that is Normal!!!

You also don't need synthetic in that car. It costs more, it makes you feel better but is not necessary. Its superior flow ability could make your oil burning issue worse.

Make sure the oil weight is correct. For our 2001, it says to use 5W20. With oil burning, you might be better off to stay with 5W30 though.

Joe
  • bajajoesbajajoes Member Posts: 48
    I have an '01 Accord with a similar issue. It has been doing it for the last 30,000

miles but is not affecting the car as near as I can tell. My mechanic says some

cars just burn more oil than others and if it was serious I would have other problems

after 30K miles. I used 5w-20 and 5w-30 both regular and sythetic oils without

seeing any difference. I guess I'll just 'keep on truckin' and hope for the best.
    :shades:
  • kim84kim84 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 Accord (manual transmission) and it has the same problem. It has 152 k on it and started doing it around 90-100k. I put a quart in every 1500 miles or so. No visible oil in the engine compartment or coming out the pipe. Seems to run fine otherwise. My mechanic says the same thing about some cars burning more oil then others. I can start to hear it rap when it gets low so I add some. I uses the synthetic for a while but it is more expensive and doesn't seem to help.
  • sistarsistar Member Posts: 19
    yep, you reminded me it's on 2nd cat converter. 1st one was bad at about 80k, now the car has 140k. The oil loss started long ago, can't remember when though.

like some others, mine is also a stick shift, Maybe i drove it a little too hard?

general question - is honda still making quality product as it used to? I had quite a few, 86 accord, 94 accord, 99 CRV, never really had to add any oil between oil changes. I am asking because I might be buying a new car soon with automatic transmission, and it seems nearly all models, accord, civic, CRV, odyssey, pilot/mdx, all have horror stories of major headaches - be it transmission, a/c, engine block, or brake.
  • silviodsilviod Member Posts: 13
    Most honda uses 5w20 and if you started to switch over might not be a good idea.
    I bought my 2001 used and using just 5w20 regular. Honda doesn't recommend me changing over
  • tgs89tgs89 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Honda accord I got a couple of months ago. It used to stall while I was driving and initially I could just start it back up but it got worse and got to a point where I had to wait 10 mins before I could start again. I did some research and found out that this was a fairly common problem with the ignition switch and so I had it replaced.
    The problem went away for a few weeks but I noticed recently that now when Im driving, the same thing happens(engine stalls and dashboard lights go off) but the car just switches back on without me doing anything. This is not a big problem now, but if it gets worse, it could be dangerous. Any ideas?
  • italianbutyitalianbuty Member Posts: 3
    Well I have changed soo many parts and had stalling problems, but my car didnt start up on its own and the dashboard lights stayed on.

But so far its been 4 days and it hasnt happend.....my mechanic changed the fuel relay switch, Hope that helps!!!! Good luck
    When is the last time your car got a tune up , new spark plugs, and air filter?
  • tgs89tgs89 Member Posts: 2
    I got it this past December. So I don't know when it was done.
  • julianfjulianf Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. Doe anyone know where the I would find the socket / plug to attach a computer diagnotic kit to my car, please? I asked the dealer but he just laughed and said I would never find it... so far I have wriggled all over my car but the bugger was right! I have no idea where it is? Also is it the standard 16pin?
    It is located on the Driver side, underneath the dash board, look around where you pull the lever for opening the hood.

You can also go to AutoZone and they will check the code for you for free.
  • beetoy61beetoy61 Member Posts: 8
    because your mechanic want's to charge you more, it's easy to access, just pop out all the cover in your baggage compartment,and you can see an opening in the inner space,where your spare tire is located. you need to unscrew some screw and you can access your fuel filter which is attached to the fuel pump,in the upper portion of the gas tank,i hope this will help,good luck.
  • julianfjulianf Member Posts: 3
    Thanks. I'll check it out :)
  • shyguycalifshyguycalif Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    I bought a 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 with 70K miles on it 2 days back.

After the deal was done and I was driving the car very next day. I noticed that when I press the cruise control button (to set the speed on highway), the cruise light comes on but the car does not hold the speed. Cruise control light seems to work fine, its just that the car is not holding the speed at all.

I drive 130 miles round trip to work each day. Without cruise control it is very hard for me to drive this car.

My mechanic (same guy checked the car for me before I bought it) says he does not know.

Please advice...
  • doinwidoinwi Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Accord EX with 115k miles. Recently the Brake, Battery, and door warning lights will come on for a few seconds then go out. This happens several times while I'm driving. It doesn't happen every day, but is getting more frequent. The car seems to run fine and I don't notice any problems when the lights come on. Any ideas why these three lights would come on together and then go off? Is this a symptom of something more serious? My mechanic didn't have much concern over it.:confuse:
    Just to confirm, you're pressing the cruise control button on the dash with the green indicator light on (next to your sunroof control), then pressing "SET" on the steering wheel control. Both the light on the dashboard button and the "CRUISE CONTROL" instrument panel indicator should be illuminated.
  • shyguycalifshyguycalif Member Posts: 3
    Yes that is correct. I press the Cruise button and then SET the speed... the dash board light comes up... but the car does not hold speed.
    Just wanted to make sure; most cars don't have a dashboard button independent of controls on the steering wheel or stalk, and since you just got the car I thought you may not be aware. Wasn't trying to chastise you in any way.

That said, I have no idea what the problem could be. I'm not much of a mechanic. :blush: