Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    That's great that it didn't cost you anything. Good move in taking it back!
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    It is only when I hit bumps that I hear it,

If you don't think it is a strut, maybe it's a tie rod.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Since this is a forum for 2003-2006 Accords, with your 2002 vehicle, you'll probably do better on the 1998-2002 forum here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efdf921/40!make=Honda&model=Accord&ed_mak- - eindex=.efdf921
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If the noise is at low speeds, in cold temperatures, over large bumps, my guess would be ball joints. They are a known issue. I call it the "Fart" noise, because that's what is sounds like the front of the car is doing :)
  • therivertheriver Member Posts: 70
    Thanks. It does kind of sound like a fart. Sorry I posted in the wrong place. My other Honda is an 03 and I did a brain...er...fart....
    The way I hear it, the type of grease they use on the ball joint doesn't circulate well when it's cold. Since there is no grease zerk on the joint, there's not much you can do about it, other than a new ball joint. My old Accord did that for a few winters, but I never did anything about it. Winter doesn't last long in south Louisiana, and it didn't do it in the summer.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    My mechanic is claiming that all (at least new model) Hondas use the same oil filter, from the Civics to the Accord, Pilot and Ridgeline... Is that true? If so, it's very SMART...
    I got a six-pack of filters from HandAccessories a while back, and I noticed they changed the size of the oil filter (it's been a while now). Maybe that's why, to accomodate all the different engines.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    and not long ago, i visited two different automotive outlets looking at NAPA and Mobil1 filters, and I believe the same filter is spec'ed for an Accord as an ODY, so it's probable.
  • ddnyddny Member Posts: 20
    Sorry to hear about yer brakes. Been there, done that, but Blane's right - you're playing roulette with warped rotors, some day you'll need 'em and they won't stop.

I got my cheapest price from Mavis for a 4-corner rotor/pad change ($440) and it was well worth it, but the problem came back after 10K miles.

There's a separate forum regarding this issue alone: "Honda Accord Brake Questions" board.

Best of luck, and drive safe.
  • fullback100fullback100 Member Posts: 18
    I have 06 Accord SE 4 cyl. Has anyone noticed rattling noise from front passenger's side especially on freeway speed above 65mph? The noise is constant at high speed and sounds like noise generated from forcing to stop some kind of plastic fans(ie:computer fans) with a thick piece of paper(ie:business card).:confuse: The thing is that noise becomes very pronounced at night and hardly audible during daytime which makes dealers hard to replicate the problem.
  • accord6mtaccord6mt Member Posts: 53
    Just a shot in the dark, but I've had large pebbles stuck in the tread of a tire and every time the pebble would strike the pavement, I'd hear a loud "click/tap." I could hear the tap constantly at highways speeds with my window open driving next to a Jersey barrier so the sound would echo off of the barrier.

One time I drove over a long bolt and after the bolt became lodged in my tire I'd hear a loud tapping noise every time the bolt made contact with the pavement.

I might be totally off-base, but I'm trying to image what the description of your sound actually sounds like...

Good luck!
  • negativexnegativex Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I got into an accident this morning. The vehicle hit my rear left bumper as well as my left rear tire. After filing police reports, I went to drive my 05 accord home and I noticed that I really needed to steer left in order to have the car go straight. If it's more serious than an alignment problem, what other problems are they? The car that hit me was going 10-15mph. Right now I don't even know if it is safe to drive the car to the shop.

Thanks
    I would check the suspension components out for cracks (something about to break off). Other than that it should make it to the shop. If the suspension is bent, it will make the tires wear very quickly, so I wouldn't drive it further than necessary.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    I don't recall if the Accord SE has alloy wheels or steel wheels with covers. If it is the latter, check your wheel covers and make sure all are on tight and fully snapped in place. Sometimes they make rotational noise similar to what you describe as the wheel flexes in rotation.
  • accord6mtaccord6mt Member Posts: 53
    You may also have a bent wheel in addition to alignment/suspension issues ...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The 4-cylinder SE has 16" alloys, like the EX 4-cylinder. The V6 SE has 17" alloys, like the rest of the V6 line.
    I've posted about this before but apparently its a unique problem - and its getting worse.

2004 Accord V-6 Coupe m/t with 70k miles. Check Engine light keeps coming on at startup (slightly rough idle) and then resetting (after several key cycles and some driving), only to come on again the next time I start the car or sit at idle for any period more than 30-40 seconds long.

Car has stored codes for bank-1 uptake sensor stuck on permanent lean condition. However, my mechanic says that both 02 uptake sensors seem to be working properly upon inspection.

Car also stored multiple misfire codes for each and every cylinder (both banks), suggesting that the problem is either bigger than just one bank or involves more than one malfunction. I called my Honda dealer, and they cheerfully offered to replace BOTH O2 uptake sensors (if I let them suck on my wallet until its dry) but could not explain the misfire codes anomaly.

Also, and I don't know if this matters, but ever since this car was new, it tends to bog down a little when you get on the throttle hard under load (not at idle). Gradully depressing the throttle produces a fairly linear response, but flooring it makes it hesitate until you lift up a little before giving you full engine power. I always just attributed it to the electric throttle and/or the traction control nannies - you tell me.

I'm really desperate here folks - this check engine thing has been happening on and off for nearly a year now - I've changed the EGR valve, changed fuel suppliers, and pulled plugs (all are clean and unfouled) - and what was, until recently, an intermittent problem, is now becoming a persistent one.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas (and I do mean ANY) that might help would be extremely welcome.

Thanks.

-FS
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    ANY? you sure about that?

OK, uptake or intake? i don't think the former exists, but could be wrong on terminology.

first off, i highly doubt BOTH O2 sensors are bad.

more than likely, the MAF (mass airflow) i.e. air intake sensor is flaky or has an intermittent connection, or is connected with a bad hose...

I think if you google, there might even be a means to clean one of these sensors...

you might have a tps (throttle position sensor) problem. you might have an idle air control valve issue (do the codes register at IDLE... does it idle poorly). maybe even a problem with plugs/wires.

but my guess is the MAF is messed up. if it's telling the unit it's getting too much or too little air, then the scheduling of fuel could be wrong. too rich or too lean, and you have a bad result.

if it's been scheduling fuel wrong for a long time, i would think your CAT convertor may have been prematurely worn.

I'd start with the MAF, then the TPS... and IACV, then i'd also be looking for loose / broken hoses in the intake / throttle area.

I would not start with the 02 sensors, but that's just me giving you ANY ideas. :shades:
    There is a long process to diagnose this problem, involving special tools (from checking the service manual). You can try replacing parts (like 777 said the MAF sensor would be one to try), but this can become very expensive, if you keep guessing the wrong parts. Do you know the exact trouble codes? That could help narrow it down some.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Does he or she (I don't know) have an extended warranty? He/she has 70k miles on the car.
    I don't know the code for the lean condition, but I believe the misfires were P300 (general misfire) and P301-P306 (misfires on each individual cylinder). I didn't do the checking - my mechanic did but I didn't write them down (he has them and he's usually pretty thorough - as well as honest - he'll tell me when he's stumped too and he is f$%^&*g stumped on this one).

Oh - and no extended warranty or I'd be tearin' my dealer a new orifice by now. However, I have not ruled out going to Honda Corporate and complaining about the car to see if they will give me any customer accomodation (this is the 3d of 4 Hondas I've purchased).

Thanks to all for the assist.

-FS

p.s. - I didn't even know these cars had an MAF sensor in addition to the O2 sensors. And by "uptake" I mean the sensor on each bank on the intake end of the motor, not the exhaust 02 sensors.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    My 94 Acura Integra bahaved the same. First it was intermittent. The CEL turned on at start up then went away
    after driving. Then the problem became permanent. The CEL
    was always on after starting the car.

When the CEL came on, did the idle speed stay above 1000 RPM?
    Check your water temperature sensor. It's a DIY job.
    It's easy to replace.
  • gopikgopik Member Posts: 11
    my honda accord was rear ended when it was parked. i had put the hand brake on, but the car had moved forward a foot or two (i think) as a result of the hit. it has an automatic transmission. could there be some damage to the parking pawl of the transmission. how should i check.

thanks
    No, the idle stays just below 1000 rpm. But I can feel the engine idling rough and occasionally misfiring at that speed.

As for the catalytic converter, wouldn't it be more likely to be damaged by an excessively rich mixture rather than a permanent lean condition?

I should add that, this happened intermittently last summer and then seemed to disappear once it got cold out (I live in NY Metro area), only to return with much greater frequency since it got warm out the last week or two. However, I have ALWAYS had the throttle bogging issue since the car was new. Dealer said it was the electronic nannies and nobody else I talked to was willing to disagree.

Again thanks to ANY suggestions you have that might help (well, OK, burning the car for the insurance money, as one of my friends suggested, was NOT helpful, but you get the idea....) :)
  • hooggunshoogguns Member Posts: 4
    Ok, I just barely purchased a 2005 honda accord LX 5 spd with 39k miles (still have temporaries on it). Can you folks give me some help?

A few days after I purchased the car I noticed a weird burning smell coming from under the hood, I can't put my finger on what it is (I'm not very car savvy). then a few days later, I noticed the car hesitating (during my first shift through the gears) when I drive home from work. Its weird because it doesn't do it on my way to work.

I've had two friends with hondas who have broken their timing belt, do I need it replaced already? Could it be timing? Or is it something else? I'm like everyone else here, bought a honda because I was expecting a worry free car and now here it is the first month and I am already having visions of the clutch going out, and the engine blowing up. Please help :)

Thanks guys!
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Well since it's a little hard to smell thru the internet, I think you'll have to have someone who is technically knowledgeable look at it (and smell it).

There are a number of distinctive smells, antifreeze leaking, brakes overheating, oil leak and it burning on hot manifold, engine overheating, battery acid from overcharging, etc.

Did you have a mechanic check it over before you bought? or any mechanic after you bought it?
    No...I haven't had it looked at yet. I guess thats what I get for figuring a Honda to be indestructible. I've read a little bit on electronic "nannies" I have no idea what these are, but the symptoms sound similar to my hesitation (I don't have a check engine light on or anything), the hesitation is very un-noticeable unless you're looking for it. The car is brand new, naturally I have been very paranoid about something being wrong. Could the problem be due to these "nannies"? If not, do I trust a normal car mechanic, or only a Honda dealership?
    I've read a little bit on electronic "nannies" I have no idea what these are, but the symptoms sound similar to my hesitation

When they talk about electronic nannies, they are talking about electronic stability control (ESC). I don't think your car has this option, so you can cross that off the list of what it could be. Hesitation is a symptom of clogged up EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. The ports may just need to be cleaned out.
    Was this vehicle purchased from a dealer? private party? What do you know about it's history?
    Purchased from a dealer. I did a VIN Check with carfax and didn't find any problems there, that is the only history I have on the car.
    Is that something I can do (EGR Ports)? Or at least a friend with an amount of mechanical know how can do?
    There may be a how-to on the internet somewhere. I have one for previous models, but haven't found one for the current engine. Do a web search, and you may find something. I'm not saying this is your problem, only one possibility. Good luck
    If you've only had this for a short period of time, why don't you take it back to the dealer where you bought it, and explain your problem. They'll have someone look at it for you.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I think you are on the right track....

hondalova: I sent you an e-mail to your carspace account with a link to a website that will help. It mirrors what user77 is saying.

Do you have an aftermarket air filter like a K&N filter?
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Just an idea here. Did the dealer detail the engine? If so, could the smell be some cleaning product "burning off?"
    I didn't get your e-mail - but I'm not sure how to access my "carspace account." I assume its different from my regular e-mail, which I have set-up here as unpublished. Could you post the link here?

I believe my mechanic changed the air filter as part of our efforts to correct the problem late last summer. I should do it again as I drive about 25,000-30,000 miles per year. I'm not familiar with the K&N filter specifically, but anything my mechanic would have put in would have been either original Honda parts or an equivalent aftermarket as he's usually pretty good about that kind of stuff. I don't like to modify out of factory specs when it comes to air/fuel intake and emissions systems b/c it often leads to problems.

Thanks!

-FS

p.s. - I'm bringing the car to Formula-H in Middletown, NY on Friday. They are an aftermarket shop that specializes in diagnosing, repairing, and restoring Hondas with problems other people couldn't solve. Of course, the CEL reset itself yesterday and the car has run perfectly for a change since then! I believe it knows.
    To access your carspace mailbox, go to the top of the page and click on "mailbox". To echo what user777 stated, It most likely is not your oxygen sensors since a bad sensor would have triggered a different code.

The link below shows the symptoms the OP had (very similar to your) and the proposed solution (post #7):

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=517076&highlight=P030- - 0

The reason I did not post originally is it goes to another forum which I'm not sure if it against Edmunds rules or not. If it is, they will remove it but I did e-mail it to you at your carspace account.

Good luck and let us know if it worked. It could help someone else.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's good information, thanks for posting the link to it. ;)
    Thanks to you and the others who have offered their help with this particularly vexing problem. Having benefited from the education you've provided, I realize that this is beyond my skill level and am bringing the car to Formula H in Middletown, NY on Friday.

www.formulah.com

They are a local shop that specializes in only Honda and Acura repairs and their motto (and their reputation) is that they can fix the cars nobody else can. They come recommended by another friend whose owned a few Hondas and had them serviced there.

I will share what I've learned here with them and post what I find out from them here after they've worked on the car.

-FS :)
    Update: Formula-H pulled "P2197 Ho2S P2195 Ho2S stuck lean" codes (none of which were on the list in the link you forwarded) + misfire codes for all cylinders. They recommeded an ECM PCM update and recheck. Unfortunately, they didn't have the machine necessary to do the update at the shop yesterday so I have to bring it back next Friday.

However, they claim to have seen this problem a lot and that, about 50% of the time, just reprogramming and updating the computer, corrects it. The other 50% of the time, the reprogrammed computer still reports that one or more sensors are malfunctioning and they then need to be changed.

While they also noted the slightly bogging throttle issue, they informed me that (like the dealer had said before) it is the normal function of the traction control electronic nanny interfering and not a malfunction. My 190 horse '99 Maxima (with a direct physical link between the gas pedal and the throttle plate) responded better and felt quicker than my 240 horse Accord. What a shame.

They charged me $72 to spend about an hour road-testing and working on this and two other unrelated quirks (loose driver's seat rail and dashboard rattle) I asked them to look at. They estimated that the reprogramming would cost about an additional $100-$125. Of course a broken sensor would be an additional job.

For NY labor that sounded pretty fair and my gut says that they are being honest with me. I will report back what happens after the next visit.

Thanks again for all the help.

-FS :shades:
    $72 for an hour worth of their time and it appears you are close to solution. Not bad. Let us know how it goes.
  • vancetishvancetish Member Posts: 4
    my 2005 accord gps system started to reboot itself on occasion. Sometimes it does it only once and thats it. today it rebooted about 5 or 6 times on a simple route.

Does anyone else have this issue, or know why it's doing this?
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Not here... since December 2003.
  • hondahenryhondahenry Member Posts: 35
    My '07 Accord got lots of scratches on front bumper, possibly by flying sands or whatever. It seems so fragile. Can't believe how easily this can happen. Anybody has the same experiences?
    What color is your car? Darker colors with light colored primer under the paint will show scratches much more than a light colored car. My car is black, and the primer must be light gray, because you can see a small chip from a mile away. My advise is to invest in some touch up paint. ;)
  • hondahenryhondahenry Member Posts: 35
    It's light blue. I don't recall scratching anything when driving or parking. So it must be tiny stone or sand or something on roads. Man it's as fragile as baby's skin. Is this typical of Honda paint on front bumper?
    Update: When last we left our superhero, he was bringing the car back to Formula-H for them to reprogram the ECM/PCM with their brand spankin' new computer thingy. According to Formula-H, they've been seeing more and more of the problem I described and it was a factor in their decision to purchase their own computer equipment for the shop.

Anyway, once my Accord was reprogrammed and the codes cleared and reset, they drove it around town for a while. The rough idle disappeared and the light has stayed off. I picked it up tonite - no rough idle at start-up (or when stopped at operating temp) and no engine light - drove it 20+ miles home without a problem. So far so good.

Of, course tomorrow morning's a new day and anything could still happen. But so far, its looking good.

-FS
  • pastatiepastatie Member Posts: 26
    If you think your bumper scratches easily look into the grille and look at the fins on your a/c condenser. The bugs, bent fins etc. are all because of the huge openings in the grille which over time is going to cost money to fix. As soon as I bought my 2004 Accord I bought a grille guard. Easy installation, painted black and you wouldn't know it didn't come from the factory. The other area ripe for damage is the leading edge of the hood. I did not want the common plastic truck looking shields and I found something called MagnetBra--super easy to put on when I am going to travel long distance behind 18 wheelers kicking up junk in front of me. Three years later no chips on my hood and the condenser looks like brand new.
    Where did you get this "magnet bra"? It is "love bug" season here in south Louisiana. I have the bra that Honda sells but it is a serious pain to put on and take off. I would rather scrub the bugs off every day than put the bra on and take it off two or three times a week.