Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    I know this isn't a maintenance issue, but I searched through some of the other forums to find an answer. I am just wondering what if anything can be done about the upholstery in my car. It constantly looks like a very hairy cat was inside and rubbing up on all the seats. It looks like what hair against the black upholstery.

I've tried to use lint rollers and I've tried vacuuming the car out more than once. Does anybody have any ideas? Again I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but I'm just curious.

Thanks to any who respond.

By the way just in case the upholstery differs, other than those with leather, I have the 03 LX Coupe, Silver with Black interior.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    How about trying one of those clothes shavers?

Mrbill
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Could you be bringing fur or animal hair into your car on your own clothes?

Perhaps an anti-static spray, such as the ones some women use on their clothes in the winter, might be worth investigating.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=anti+static+spray
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I have similar issue, I have an 06 Accord with black cloth seats. It looks nice, better looking than the gray in my opinion. It looks more upscale, less casual. But, I do have to use a lint roller on it, and vacuum. I have a cat and dog, but they are NEVER in my car, but it gets on me, and gets in the car. It not too bad though. That is the only draw back on black cloth. I couldn't imagine letting my dog and cat get in the car, I would never see the end of the fur, it would get in all the cloth, and really never all come out. Just make sure you don't have fur on you, and lint roll it. I detail my car quite often, so I keep up on it, but my car never really gets dirty, as I never eat in my car, and I am not rough on it. I even cover my seat up if I am sweaty or dirty, or really smoky from going out. I simply use a large trash bag, and put that over it, its easy. Other than that, I love it. I do wished they offered heated seats on the cloth, or as an accessory.
    Oh yeah, I have four cats and a dog. Two of my cats are very hairy so it is very possible that I am bringing the hair with me. I never thought of the anti-static spray, good idea. I will have to try that at some point.

Also, mrbill thank you for the idea about the clothes shaver. It definitely could work. Vacuums are just so bulky. That's also a good idea. Thank you. Out of all things in a car, the most petty is the most annoying. Otherwise the car itself is great.

Thanks for all responses.
  • saintssaints Member Posts: 1
    Honda Accord ictdi 2004.
    The problem occures when stop start journeys are made.Worst situation is after waiting at traffic lights when on driving away black smoke comes from the exhaust.the way to stop it is to increse the revs to1500 whilst stopped.Numerous visits to Honda have been no help at all.It is my view that over fueling occures at tick over.
    Any similar problems out there,and more important can it be fixed
  • lwlwlwlw Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, blane. That's exactly the schedule I wanted. I wonder why it isn't in the 2006 Owner's Manual, too.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    In 06, when Honda went with the "Maintenance Minder" system, they assumed everyone would just accept it. But, people who have always done their own maintenance, and using the time/mileage intervals for 20 years, are reluctant to change their ways. I would have a hard time using the MM myself. I guess no one will know what mileage to use with the 8th generation Accords, because they will probably all have the MM.
    I'll be keeping a copy of my 2004 Accord's Maintenance Schedule pages in my 2008 Accord's Owner's Manual. It's hard to teach some of us old dogs new tricks.
  • accord6mtaccord6mt Member Posts: 53
    Hi there - We don't have the Accord turbo diesel in the States yet and I have a feeling most folks that post here live in the U.S. I'm not sure if there is a UK version of Edmunds that might have an audience more familiar with Honda turbo diesels... Do you have this car in the U.S.?
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    Accords are stiffly sprung cars - particluarly the EX models. Plus, they put Michelins on them, which are very hard tires. I noticed what you did when I had my first Accord (a '91 EX sedan) and, when that car died, I bought a base level '99 Maxima GXE rather than step up to sportier the Maxima SE b/c I didn't want so harsh a ride again.

Now I'm back in an Accord ('04 EX-L Manual Coupe) and, while the ride is harder than my Maxima was, it seems more well controlled than the '91 Accord was.

Check your tires and make sure they're set to the manufacturer's recommended rating cold (and not over-inflated) and, when its time to replace them, consider a slightly softer tire from whatever is available then.

-FS
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    Not yet.

-FS
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    So they mention almost everything I've seen in this forum plus a couple I wasn't aware of. They also list some online resources for owners which could prove helpful.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/03-07accord.htm
    Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the inside driver's side door panel on an 03 LX coupe? Today after scraping my windshield I accidentally shut the door and the scraper wasn't completely inside the car and I shut the door on the scraper. In doing so the scraper went through the little side door light and put a big hole in the door.

I'm kind of miffed, but oh well stuff happens. I didn't realize just how brittle winter cold can make plastic.

Thanks to all who respond.
    Your best bet would be to check with your local junk/salvage/wrecker yards to see if the have a similar vehicle damaged in another area. They can also do searches within their countrywide network.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    For things Honda Parts related, I like to go to Majestic Honda's site to see exploded system views (it's a good resource):
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

And specifically for you, look at these two exploded views for the 2003 2Dr LX:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Accord&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=DOOR+PANELS

and:
    http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&cat- cgry1=Accord&catcgry2=2003&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=DOOR+LINING

These will give you an idea what you may have to pay for new parts.

Good luck.
  • avalanche2xavalanche2x Member Posts: 17
    I have a 03 Accord LX 4 cyl and my driver’s front door lock is slow when unlocking and locking the door. Unlike some other posts, the lock is hesitant in all temperatures.

I’ve looked at the parts diagram in the Honda eStore, and noticed there is a cable that appears to lead into an actuator assembly.

Does anyone have any experience in the diagnosis and repair of this issue? Is it the cable? Actuator? Something else? Does it necessitate replacement or can I drop some lube down through the door lock?

Thanks,
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    With all the terrible transmission problems that the early, 2003-2004 Accords suffered from (resulting in free, under warranty tranny replacement), can we assume the issue has been resolved before they started assembling the 2005 model?
    I believe that the 2003 and early 2004 recall only affected 6-cylinder Accords with automatic transmissions within a very limited VIN range. There was no recall for 4-cylinder Accords. My 2004 V6 A/T Coupe was built in October 2003 and was not on the list of affected VINs. It has always performed flawlessly.

The wording of the recall was:

"ON VEHICLES WITH 15,000 MILES OR LESS, THE DEALER WILL UPDATE THE TRANSMISSION WITH A SIMPLE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE TO INCREASE LUBRICATION TO THE SECOND GEAR. ON VEHICLES WITH MORE THAN 15,000 MILES, THE DEALER WILL INSPECT THE TRANSMISSION TO IDENTIFY GEARS THAT HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED DISCOLORATION DUE TO OVERHEATING. IF DISCOLORATION EXISTS, THE TRANSMISSION WILL BE REPLACED IF DISCOLORATION IS NOT PRESENT, THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THE REVISION TO THE OIL COOLER RETURN LINE. OWNERS OF THE ACCORD VEHICLES WILL START RECEIVING LETTERS ON JUNE 28, 2004, AND ON JUNE 29, 2004".

Based upon the dates of the letters, and the engineering that determined the cause and the fix for the units, the concerns had been addressed well before the 2005's went into production.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Thanks, blane.

AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL ACCORD LOVERS.....
  • ireoneireone Member Posts: 1
    I just took my car in for the 15K maintenance, I am looking for a list of what should actually be replaced. I got a bill for over $300. I think this is too much.
    I am located in New Jersey

Thank you
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Check your owners manual. If I remember correctly, there isn't anything at 15k that needs replacement.

You need to follow what's in the manual, not what the dealer recommends. They love pushing more services then necessary, that's a $$ maker for them.

Mrbill
    Other than changing the oil and filter and the air filter, and lubricating hinges and latches it's mostly just an inspection. $300 is a lot for such simple maintenance, but that's the price you pay when you can't/won't do it yourself. :sick:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    You should be using your Maintenance Minder (the Oil Life reminder). It will also give a code as to what service should be done when the oil-life reaches 15% and the little yellow wrench appears in the dash. For example, the last time I went code: B1 showed in the odometer with the little wrench light simultaniously, which according to the manual, indicates a tire rotation and an oil change.
    Does anyone else have a console lid that creaks loudly when you open and close it? I am going to get mine fixed hopefully at the next service (I'm at 30%). This will be near the 30k mile mark. I'm betting this service will be more involved since it hasn't had anything more than oil and filter changes so far (I've got 27,650 on the car now).
    You might have to finance this one grad. ;) Just kidding, but be prepared for a reaming. Don't forget the lubrication. :surprise:
    You might have to finance this one grad. Just kidding, but be prepared for a reaming. Don't forget the lubrication.

Yeah, I've been saving. $ :cry:

Don't worry, I open my console to take out anything valuable (usually just a phone charger) before I leave the car for service. I'll hear that creak - it is like a haunted house door... rrrrrreeeeeeeerrrrrrreeeee.
    They will probably just spray some sylicone lube on it. Don't know if the hinge is plastic or metal? I would have to take a look.
    They will probably just spray some silicone lube on it. Don't know if the hinge is plastic or metal? I would have to take a look.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yep, I do have some rattles on my 06 accord, but they are so minor, like one is in the right and left doors, but they are simply inside the door. Easy fix. One rattle is actually the cd cases inside the storage console. Then on occasion, when its really cold the actual dash squeaks faintly. The dealer already heard them, so I got to basically bring it in. I am not worried. I have driven my 06 accord 2 years now, and I absolutely love driving it, the engine is beautiful, the size is excellent, I have the SE, and it has plenty of features, though I miss my sunroof alot, but I have found, everything else has outweighed that. My mother has a 04 Jetta, which is a bit smaller, my family always takes my accord, we actually took it to Florida, 5 people, 16 hours. I have had no problems with it. Sometimes, I am suprised with a new feature found.
  • user5user5 Member Posts: 8
    General question about lubrication.

Oils and grease, these intertact with rubber seals. For lubrication shouldn't we be going to the dealer so that only chemically compatible (lubrication-seal) lubrication is used and the seals are not damaged prematurely?
    Yet another reason to buy a Service Manual for your car. It tells you what type of grease to use for the different hinges and latches etc.
  • thndrchnkythndrchnky Member Posts: 2
  • thndrchnkythndrchnky Member Posts: 2
    How do you remove the cylinder fron the ignition itself i have the steering wheel off and all is lose but still i can't remove the lock cylinder itself for replacement can anyone help me please.
    Here is a link that explains it in detail. Good luck
    http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignitionswitch.html

Kind of late now, but there is a 4th generation (90-93) Accord thread especially for your car and cars like it.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    2006 EXL 5spd w/31K miles. Was running some last minute errands on Christmas eve, when engine dies. Restart it, but it continues to die at stoplights. Runs ok otherwise. Honda dealer is closed, so I have to take it in after Christmas. I had already been in a couple days before so that they could work on a couple other minor issues (console door wouldn't stay down, and power seat adjuster knob was broken).

They tell me the mass air flow sensor went bad, had to order the part. Might be in tomorrow, might be Monday. Would have cost me 2-300 in a few more months when the warranty runs out.

One of the major reasons I had for getting an Accord was their reputation for reliability. And now its in the shop 3, maybe 5 days. Not a happy camper.
    They tell me the mass air flow sensor went bad, had to order the part. Might be in tomorrow, might be Monday. Would have cost me 2-300 in a few more months when the warranty runs out.

Your powertrain warranty is 5-years and 60,000 miles. You should have more than a few months to go.

Sorry to hear about that though - my dad's 2005 Accord never experienced such a problem after 70k miles. I'm at 27k in my '06 Auto 4-cyl with no reliability issues.
  • robine1robine1 Member Posts: 1
    Yellow ABS warning light and red"brake"letters stay on. A local garage mechanic
    says it is the ABS computer (modulator?). Car is an '04 EX with 43,000 miles.
    I have an appointment on 12/31 with a dealer and he also will test it.
    If it is the ocmputer does such a unit go bad so soon? Car is over-warranty but will
    HOnda USA do anything for me as far as the cost of repair? Could the problem have been mis-diagosed?..any advice for me? I never purchased an extended warranty
  • richarddoricharddo Member Posts: 1
    I just got my '04 accord LX V6 in for a scheduled maintenance, and was told my rear brake pads were worn down to 5% and needed to be replaced. This car is used primarily for city driving (NY), and has 23,500 miles. Is this a little early for rear brake pads to wear down?
    The rear brake pads wear more quickly than the fronts in the seventh generation Accords. Yours is one of that generation. Just do a search for "rear pads" using the Search This Discussion box at the top of these posts to research it if you care to.
  • bdbrickbdbrick Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Honda Accord DX. Great car. Won't ever buy any other brand. However, my lights on chime that dings when exiting car with head lights on has stopped working. I've checked owners manual with no sucess at troubleshooting. Can this be fixed by checking for a blown fuse or is this a dealers's fix? Can anyone help with advice?
    Happy new year to all !!!
  • avalanche2xavalanche2x Member Posts: 17
    Is there a way to pull ABS codes from an 03 Accord without going to the dealer?
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If your car is anything like mine an 03 LX Coupe the lights should go off automatically after about 30 seconds. You shouldn't be in any danger of leaving them on and having them kill the battery or anything. I'm not mechanically inclined at all so I wouldn't bother, but some people would not that it's a bad thing. Some people just have different priorities I guess. For instance I had a 91 LeSabre which I always had to enter from the passenger side because neither of the driver's side doors front or back worked. I didn't bother since the car was an old bomb anyway. Some people wouldn't have tolerated it, It's all a matter of preference. Sorry, I'm rambling. :blush:

Sorry I couldn't be of any help. Your car is probably reaching the end, if it hasn't already reached the end of the warrenty since it is about 3 years old or I'd say you could take it in to see if that would be covered under the warrenty.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I've not yet had a car with a warrenty on it so I don't know how to go about warrenty repairs.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Quite true, Grad. I was just thinking of the 3/36 warranty for the rest of the car. Might have even been covered under the emissions warranty, which I thought went for 100K on all cars. Dealer did say it's a rather rare problem, he's only seen a handful of them fail in the last 5 years.

Anyways, the part came in today, and I picked it up and it's back to running smooth again.

One new minor problem cropped up, the indicator light for the driver's heated seat doesn't light up. Probably happened when they had taken apart the console to install the new console door. Might wait until I've got another reason to go in before getting that looked at.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    It could be the ABS sensor in which case it would cost a lot less than the worst case senario of your ABS control module being bad. Shouldn't have gone bad so soon. you may want to wait till Monday to see what the dealer says then evaluate your options. Good luck.
    I'm wondering if a MAF sensor would be included in drivetrain warranty? I thought drivetrain was only parts of the engine itself, transmission, and parts that actually drive the wheels (cv joints, driveshaft etc.). Never had a reason to find out at this point, so I don't know for sure exactly what's covered under "drivetrain" and what's not.
    There is a way to get the troubleshooting code from the MICU (Multiplex Integrated Control Unit) which is part of the under-dash fuse box (using a service check connector). This is at the very edge of my ability, and I almost lost my mind doing this on my own car. I finally got it sorted out on my car, but it took days to accomplish, because I am no mechanic. Maybe a regular code reader would work (hooked to the OBD port), or you could get ahold of a service manual of your own, and pull your own hair out. Good luck, either way. I looked at the fuses, and didn't find anything dedicated to the lights on chime. Sorry. :(
    The DX MODEL DOESN"T HAVE AUTO-OFF HEADLIGHTS.

Yes, I wrote that in caps, but I dont want them to have a dead battery. :)
    Let's hope he tries it out (I did), before just assuming they'll go off by themselves. :surprise:
    Oopsy I didn't know. :) I keep assuming things. I guess I keep finding out what happens when one assumes. One makes an --- out of u and me. Tee hee.