Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Wouldn't Be Caught Dead Driving One

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I agree with you. Hyundai seems to have decent looking cars out lately, and the Genesis definetely looks the part.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    boomcheck, that is true. I believe the Genesis, will be a Lexus LS460, at a Toyota price. This car looks like a G35 from the front which is a good thing and a BMW 7-series from the rear. They got the styling right. It also appears this car is going to have the "Gadgetology" of the elite brands.

If they can start it out at lets say $27K and it tops out at lets say in the mid-high $30K range with top notch quality, gadgets, it should be a butt kicker.

Rocky
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Wouldn't be surprised. the Azera is very decent too for what it offers. I wouldn't even glance at Hyundais before, but now if I had to I wouldn't be afraid of getting into an Accent. I'd pick an Accent over a Chevy Aveo actually.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Wouldn't be surprised.

Well some rumors have a fully loaded Genesis 4.6 V8 with 350 hp topping out in the mid $30's which if they can do it that cheap and still deliver the goods that would be truely amazing. Hell if Hyundai can keep it in the high $30K range it would still be remarkable. The rumor is this engine is capable of 500 hp. I'd like to see Hyundai offer a 500 hp hybrid version for $40-45K now that would buying a much more powerful LS600h for half the money ;) I believe it can be done. Hell a 350hp Genesis, would be plenty of power but I'd still like them to surprise me. I hope they keep on refining this car and adding to it before they sign off on the final version.

The bottom line is this car will shock the world. If they (HYUNDAI) are going to take the big 3 out.....They might as well take everyone else out also. :surprise:

Rocky

P.S. I'd probably go Accent over Aveo also.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "The bottom line is this car will shock the world. If they (HYUNDAI) are going to take the big 3 out.....They might as well take everyone else out also."

I think its too early to say Hyundai gonna take every car maker out of the car game. Hyundai sales are flat in the US this year basically so far. I mean Elantra sales were good last month and Santa Fe sales are pretty good but Sonata sales sank like a rock going down to the ocean floor from 17K Sonata's sold in the month March of 2006 down to 10K in the month of March of 2007. The 17k Sonata's sold in March of 2006 was a artficial number I think because Hyundai sold alot of 06 Sonata's to rental fleets for a period of time last year I think.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    have begun talking about producing their new Mojave pickup truck again. A certain tariff is going to lifted that seemed to all but pull their trigger-hair on the project. I knew they weren't abandoning the project, just being smart and waiting for the right financial time, as is usual for these dudes from South Korea.

Remember, I know we don't like to peruse over thoughts like this, but the world's finest students(yep, out of high school and college)scoring the best on tests, uh-huh, come from South Korea.

I didn't leave my Sportage 4x4 behind out of unhappiness with Kia, far from it. They're on their way upwards and they will succeed.

It's just this certain 4-door sedan with sporty appeal from Mitsu that stole my heart(and my wife's, too!).

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    A neighbor has a new Kia Sedona and it's not bad at all, inside or out. It's certainly better than the also ran domestic vans and a better value that Toyota or Honda.
  • railroadjamesrailroadjames Member Posts: 560
    I can't imagine anyone justifying these two behemuths. They take up two parking spots. They get less than 9 miles per gallon. They ride like a Mac Truck. They cost a fortune to buy-own & have lousy resale value. Whats to like besides the supremacy of a "ride" that puts you way above the rest of us. I once pulled in next to a Hummer @ the gas-station and a woman was filling the 38 gal tank of her guzzler and I put in my usual 8 gallons of gas ('04 Prius). I quickly left while glancing at her pump....$94.00 and still pumping. Some people just gotta feed their "EGOS." :confuse:
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Why not?

Personally, I object as a taxpayer to having to subsidize YOUR vehicle choice in the form of tax credits. I am not paying the same to Hummer/Excursion owners.

For the record, I am getting 35 mpg in a gas vehicle. The toxic wastes created by disposing of my battery will be a slight fraction of yours. Also, I have cut my driving in half in the past couple years.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    For the record, I am getting 35 mpg in a gas vehicle.

You ended up getting a Corolla, right? My uncle has an '03 Corolla, and, with the way gas prices are getting, I asked him if I could borrow it this last weekend when I went up for the car show in Carlisle, PA. Round trip was 128 miles. I used a grand total of 6.09 gallons, for an average of about 37.4 mpg. Sure beats the heck out of the 14 I might've been lucky to get with my pickup or '79 New Yorker!

Now honestly, I don't find it to be a very comfortable car because legroom is too short for me. My uncle's Corolla is a base model though. I've noticed that the nicer models have an extra lever on the seat that seems to make the seat angle back a bit, which helps a bit with thigh support.

Oh, and as for those 14 mpg vehicles? Well I guess I can kinda justify that with my 3.5 mile commute to work. Also, I probably only drive about 5-6,000 miles per year these days.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    I bought the Corolla. I have had the car for six weeks ... and have a whooping 525 miles on it. I have had to head down to the city of Chicago and I am not ready to have my car dinged up at this point so it has been mostly CTA and Metra trains.

Once I get in the car, I am fine. Getting in is tricky but doable. Besides, I use the car as a commuter appliance. Longer trips are done using my wife's Impala or a rental car. (Just rented a PT Cruiser in St. Louis for $14 for two days OTD at Hertz. Lousy car, maybe 24 mpg on mostly highway driving.)

I don't care what you drive. That is your decision. It makes NO sense to me to go out and buy a car just for the better gas mileage in MOST cases. For me, the '89 Ciera was getting pretty scary ... I mean adventurous. Also, I believe it was leaking gasoline.

Now that the weather is approaching 70, I will start taking the train into work a couple of times a weel. Four miles a day would not be the worst thing

Do realize that the money you save on gas buying a new car is largely offset by sales tax and higher insurance premiums ... as I am currently finding.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Of course I would never drive a Hummer or Escalade or Armada. Or any vehicle that looks like a McMansion on wheels.
    At the same time I refuse to drive any late model vehicle that STILL uses DRUM brakes. :mad:
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I didn't leave my Sportage 4x4 behind out of unhappiness with Kia, far from it. They're on their way upwards and they will succeed."

I am not much of a Kia supporter but I was thinking about the other day on how the mid to late 90's Sportage looked and I liked the way they looked 10 years ago. The Sportage had a nice elegant look to it for that time period.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Sportage was the best looking small SUV on the market. After having owned one I still do!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    #1's gotta be the Hummer. I can't help but laugh at every driver of one, seeing them as oversized 4 year-olds who never got over their need to have the most powerful looking truck in the sandbox. I couldn't handle being lumped in with that crowd.

Second to that would be any of the big SUVs. They're impractical, and I don't want to feel like I'm driving my living room around. There would be far fewer of these monsters around if people who want the functionality of a minivan weren't too vain to be seen in one.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    This is an old thread, but I'll put my 2¢ in it. First, may I say that the Biarritz was a beautiful car, but like all Cadillacs they are completely impractical. I've always wanted a Catera, but for the smallest Cadillac to only get 18mpg is out of the question. That car was built in the '90s but the mileage was that of a car in the '70s. It's their impracticality alone that keeps me away from one.

Now for a car I wouldn't drive on a dare, I would put the Plymouth Prowler on my list. I thought I'd never seen a car so ugly in modern times – then along comes Scion! The Scion xB (last year's model - it's even uglier now) tops my list right now. I rode in a friend of mine's xB, and while it's ok, as long as you're not in an Oklahoma crosswind, I at least was a passenger and not driving it! I feel like if I want to be in a UPS truck I'll go find a real one! I wouldn't own one if it were free.
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    03+ Toyota Corolla-The back end is way too tall looking. I prefer the looks of the 98-02 Corolla to the current generation of Corolla.

As the proud and grateful owner of a '98 Corolla, I couldn't possibly agree with you more! And if they make generationX a better looking car than what's out there now, I, too, will reconsider Toyota for my next vehicle!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Caught sight of the new Lincoln Navigator----oh my, that is regrettable. Very messy grillwork, and I find the chrome spats rather garish to say the least. All flash, no class, IMO. This is one car I'd trade it if I won it in a contest.

Visiting Host
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I don't consider the Smart car to be a good econocar choice. Fuel economy is good, but not outstanding, after factoring in the cost of premium gasoline, and it only seats two. In addition, the Smart's performance is very modest. For about the same price, or even a little less, you could buy a Chevy Aveo, Hyundai Accent or Kia Rio, which are roomier and perform much better. For not much more money you could buy a Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, or Nissan Versa. And, for less than the price of a Smart, you could buy a good, low mileage late model compact, such as a Honda Civic or Ford Focus.

I think image is a strong motivating factor for many who choose a Smart, rather than rational factors.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Well looking at it realistically how often do people commute with more than two people in the car? In your daily commute how much performance will you ever use? A high (or even medium performance) car in rush hour traffic is a joke, the Smart has enough power to work well in typical city driving. Not only that but the Smart gets as good city mileage as most other cars get on the highway, that sounds pretty good to me So me one other non hybrid that beats 30 MPG city.

As an only car the Smart may not be the best choice, but as a second commuter car its a very good choice.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

I'd agree with everything you said if only the Smart were less expensive. My point is for about the same price as the Smart, there are better choices.

It'll be interesting to see how the Smart retains its value. If its depreciation is similar to the MINI's, then I'll reevaluate my opinion regarding the Smart, because it will mean that the market considers it a good value. If it suffers rapid depreciation, as I suspect, then the smart buyer would be well served to buy a two year old, low mileage Smart for, say, $8,000.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...if a Smart was priced like the average lawn tractor or a modestly-priced motorcycle, I'd definately consider one. As it is, there are better alternatives.
  • nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    Has the production quotas been sold out for 2008? With gas prices getting higher everyday, I think more and more people are rethinking their vehicle purchase from the standpoint of "want" to "need".
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    It'll be interesting to see how the Smart retains its value

That will be interesting to see, as they may not even be done with the current order backlog by January 2010, never mind whoever else signs up in the next 18 months.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Yep, 2008 was sold out a year ago, and 2009 is in all likelihood also spoken for by now. I signed up for the dealer waitlist and I was something like 79th in line two weeks after they opened.
    ...but it would be something to see a city street scene where all the vehicles are Smarts, Minis, Aveos, Fits, and Yarises. Heck, throw in a few Honda 600s for a retro touch.
  • mattandimattandi Member Posts: 588
    Certainly not those specific models probably, but just go to most any city in just about any part of the world outside North America, and you'll get a taste of that street scene. Some place it is even more different. I remember being surprised at all the bicycles in some places.

FWIW - I like the Smart, but if I were dead, I hope no one catches me driving one.
  • steelydanfansteelydanfan Member Posts: 134
    Speaking of a retro touch, how about the Renault LeCar with that roll-back canvas sunroof ? That car was ungainly , but it looked funky fun as only the French can do. I'm sure the problem with that car had to with frequent visits to Le Garage......... :lemon:
  • stovebolterstovebolter Member Posts: 53
    While price and fuel economy of the Smart don't set it apart from cars like the Aveo, Accent, Yaris, etc., there is one other factor that does, particularly in a city - the car's footprint. The Smart can park almost anywhere - heck, you can put two in a one car garage. That's a huge deal in a city driving/parking environment.

That said, anywhere outside of a tight parking situation you're absolutely right - the Smart is selling more on image than economics.
    "...the problem with that car had to with frequent visits to Le Garage."

Clever play on words! Unfortunately, it's true from what I've heard. Too bad, because the Renault 5 (LeCar in the U.S.) was fuel and space efficient, rode well for a small car, and in its quirky way, was cute
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I guess this is a good time to plug the long term test blog:

Long-Term Test: 2008 Smart Fortwo Passion Coupe

• coopergtcoopergt Member Posts: 2
    Ok so like the Mini, image is big part of buying a Smart car. I get more smiles than in my Real Mini Cooper (original one). it is not only a good car, it adds so much to a chearful day, at least it sure chears up every driver, from Ducatti 996 on the freeway to macho ford f250 drivers.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    My idea of a small car is a good-quality AC Cobra kit. Now that would put smiles on my face and everyone else.

If I could have one TV/movie car, it would be the Muenster-mobile.

Not be caught dead in - most cars are decent theses days; but anything that reminds me of the Dodge Omni & Plymouth Horizons, and K-cars.
  • 94accord_lover94accord_lover Member Posts: 42
    Probably wouldn't be caught dead in any pickup truck with a lift kit. To me that just screams "Look at me! I have a really big truck because I'm compensating for a small (fill in the blank) :P. As the owner of a mid 90's Accord, I hate being stuck in traffic with one of those monstrosities near me, makes me feel unsafe, and the drivers of those trucks usually don't care to obey basic traffic laws :mad:. That's probably one vehicle I'd never be in.
  • ardaproesardaproes Member Posts: 12
    1. Pontiak Aztek (somebody was smoking something while drawing)
    2. New gen Ford Focus
    3. New gen Saturn Vue
    4. Previous gen Huyndai Accent (or all prev gens)
    5. Ford Taurus (Previous gen)
    6. Toyota Camry (all gens without the ground effects)
    7. Toyota Corolla (prev gen excluding S)
    8. Lincoln Navigator (new gen)
    9. Hummer H2,H3
    10. All lifted GM trucks
    11. Geo Metro
    12. New Toyota Matrix
    13. VW beetle
    i think i will stop here for now
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    My point is for about the same price as the Smart, there are better choices.

My point is that "better choices" are totally dependent on the person doing the buying. Most people drive to work either alone or with one other person in the car. If that is the case why get a car that will almost always be used as a commuter car that has more capacity? Especially if it will get poorer gas mileage?

As for me I cannot think of a more perfect car for myself (main car will be the wifes) to go to and from work and run my little errands and go to places like the post.

If you can think of a better car let me know.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• johnmarcojohnmarco Member Posts: 22
    Here's my list of cars that make me cringe on sight:

BMW X3, X5, Z4, 7-series, 6-series, 1-series
    Cadillac XR
    Chevrolet Avalanche, SSR, HHR, Trailblazer
    Dodge Durango
    Ford Edge, Taurus/500, Expedition, F-150
    Honda Ridgeline, Element, Fit
    Hummer everything
    Jaguar X-series, S-series
    Lexus all SUVs, SC
    Lincoln's "F-150", Navigator
    Mercedes-Benz CLS, all SUVs, all roadsters/coupes
    Mini Cooper all versions
    Pontiac Aztek, GTO (new one)
    Toyota Avalon
    Buggatti Veyron (actually saw one recently --- WAY uglier in person.)
    Everything from Bentley, Rolls, and Maybach, all disgusting pieces of garbage
  • trikev19trikev19 Member Posts: 18
    I couldn't drive a yellow VW bug. In fact, I don't even think I could let my mom drive one.
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    I can kind of understand the appeal of the original H1, although I wouldn't drive one of those, either.

I think the H2 and H3 are incredibly tacky, and they're slower, more expensive, have worse visibility, less storage, and lower fuel mileage than the Trailblazer and Tahoe platforms they are based on. If you want a great off-roader, buy a Wrangler. If you want a midsize-to-large GM SUV, much better choices are available at Chevrolet and GMC dealerships.
    True dat. I forgot VW altogether from my hit list. Definitely second the New Beetle as awful. Other than that they have a pretty tight stable, at least in my eye. The Phaeton was a miserable failure in sales, but a good looking car to me.
    Here's a few more eye sores:

Chrysler 300
    Jeep Commander, Patriot, Liberty, Compass (they killed the coolest one, the Cherokee.)
    Nissan 350z, Rogue, Titan, Armada
    Lamborghini all models
    Lotus all models (insect)
    Maserati 4-door
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Umm.. geez.. I guess you really love your bicycle, eh Johnny??
    Just kidding.....How about the Malcolm Bricklin specials? How do you feel about Subarus, the Bricklin and, of course, the unforgettable Yugo? Do you think Chrysler will have any luck with the Chery instead of ol' Mac?
    Ya I guess I cut a pretty mean swath across the auto universe. But hey --- there are a bunch of beautiful cars out there. I thought maybe a companion list would be fun but beyond the scope of this thread.

Subies? Well, shoot, you asked...
    Like: Impreza, Legacy
    Don't like: WRX/STi, Outback, Tribeca, Forrester

I've never heard of Malcolm... let's just stay consistent and say I hate it. ;)
    Will Chrysler have luck with Chery? I hope so. They badly need a nice small car. And they just need some things to go their way, period.
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    -Any Corolla
    -Redneck bigfoot style pick up trucks with mud instead of paint.
    -Hummer
    -Any Lincoln or Cadillac SUV's or pick ups.
    -Dodge Avenger, Caliber
    -Jeep Commander, Compass, Patriot
    -Ford Taurus/Sable Tempo/Topaz Windstar Freestyle
    -Mazda Rx7
    -Chevy Cobalt, MonteCarlo, Equinox
    -Honda Ridgeline,Pilot New Accord is UGGLLYYY
    -Nissan Sentra
    -Saturn ION, VUE
    -GM's new Acadia, Outlook they are porkers, fat-ugly and horrendous fuel economy
    -Chrysler Pacifica, Aspen
    -Buick LeSabre/Park Avenue Pontiac Boneville Olsmobile Aurora
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Maybe we could add a twist to this discussion by saying what you would never drive and what you actually drive. For example, a friend of my wife's was making fun of her Honda Odyssey and saying that he would never drive a minivan. I was waiting to hear the guy say he got his wife a Denali, R class Mercedes or some other cool people mover. But the guy then said that got a ................. Chrysler Pacifica. Come on, the Pacifica is the least cool of all sport utility vehicles and clearly less cool than a Odyssey. Bottom line you can not make fun of an Odyssey if you drive a Pacifica but you can if you drive a Denali.

I would never be caught dead in an Aztek Oh, and we drive a Odessey and a Subaru Legacy GT.
    Any minivan
    Any SUV
    Any crossover
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    But the guy then said that got a ................. Chrysler Pacifica. Come on, the Pacifica is the least cool of all sport utility vehicles and clearly less cool than a Odyssey. Bottom line you can not make fun of an Odyssey if you drive a Pacifica but you can if you drive a Denali.

I dunno, I actually kinda like the Pacifica. I think its biggest problem is that if you really need a minivan or SUV, then you need to go BUY a minivan or SUV and a Pacifica just isn't going to cut it. I think the Pacifica is a fairly attractive looking vehicle, though. I just probably wouldn't buy one.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I don't know if one who drives a Denali can name fun of anything :P
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    Does that include all Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukons?