Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Fearing Hyundai?

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The UAW has just more than the Big 3 as union memebers, something many fail to remember. The only drastic thing that is going to save GM is reconfiguration of the trade treaties and a new party in office next election, something that appears is going to happen. ;)

If Delphi goes on strike it will hurt Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, Mercury engines, etc. This is the only saving grace that the UAW has going for them. I'd personally rather see a crash and burn felt by everyone, then see just GM go down while are president and congress turns a blinde eye to it. :sick:

BTW- Drastic changes will save the auto industry. The question is if the government has enough "hair" to make these changes before it's to late. :cry:

Rocky
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I think the current Presidential Adminsistration has more pressing matters than bailing out GM and Ford to work on right now. DCX is really helped by their German connection so I don't see DCX going under. GM and Ford are seriously in trouble, though.

The Chinese cars I will look at because I feel that cars in geneal cost too much. If their quality is good (doesn't have to be perfect for me) I will probably test drive. Then again, my two favorites now are Kia and Scion and Toyota with their new Yaris 4-door sedan. I may not even want to stray to Chinese cars if they rattle and shake and feel like they aren't going to last. Something Kia really nailed down well with my Sportage 4x4. That SUV is as solid as a rock and they filter out the road noise well with it.

Gonna be real interesting to see if the Chinese cars can pull this one off, because there is a huge market waiting for them here if they can. Cars cost too much.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Yep it's definitly going to get interesting. The good thing with the help of edmunds we have first row seats. :D

Rocky
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    this website is always a front-line source of automotive news. :)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Hell, it took me forever to buy my first Japanese car (and 86 Toyota Van - a horrible, but rugged vehicle). The odds of me even buying a Hyundai, which I respect, before I die, are really low. I'll never make it to the Chinese. What I will buy and drive however, is different than what I know about the cars. Like the Hyundai - I see the value there, they just don't make anything yet that I'll drive. I'm a car snob, for better or worse. I'll buy a Hyundai for my kid to drive, but I won't get one for me.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060408/AUTO01/604080391/- 1148

Baught and paid for, just like our government :sick:

Rocky
    Hyundai starts building second auto plant in China.

http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060418/AUTO01/604180397/- 1148/AUTO01

Just when you thought the Koreans really hated the Chinese. :confuse: We get another lie from the media. ;)

Rocky
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,324
    Just when you thought the Koreans really hated the Chinese.

Nope the Koreans hate the Japanese (just look at the history of the first half of the 20th century).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Well okay, actually now that I think about it you are actually right. :P Well the Chinese and Koreans don't exactly have boyfriendgirlfriend relationship :)

Rocky
  • kingsalmonkingsalmon Member Posts: 97
    They do when it comes to the Japanese... Ever read "Rape of Nanking"? The Japanese military did pretty atrocious things to the Chinese as well as to Koreans and Philipinos. But that's in the past. We can't blame the current generation of Japanese for what their ancestors have done.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    But of course, those who do hold something against the current Japanese do have an argument, as not all Japanese will admit to the horrors of the past (leaving atrocities out of textbooks etc)
    I read that somewhere, but I thought it was Germany ?

Rocky
    Why isn't he using his century warranty ? Perhaps the car repairs have cost more than the car was brand new over the lifetime of the vehicle ? They give you that warranty for a reason. Once the repairs cost more than the car, you get turned away IMO. I'm sure it's in fine print. :P

Rocky
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The Sephia disappeared before there was ever a "century warranty". The Sephia was a fairly awful car - I know, I had a neighbor with one, and I had to hear the complaints week in and week out. But of course, the Sephia has one fiercely loyal fan - iluv, who posts here at Edmunds regularly.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I love, iluv. He's a great guy. ;) He cracks me up with all his crying over the seahawks loss. He does like Kia's like I like GM cars and will go to war when somebody picks on them. Gotta respect that. :blush:

Rocky

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Iluv amuses me too...gotta respect such passion.

Kia is touting the Sorrento as a "total performance vehicle" or something to that effect in some recent ads. I think that's a bit generous.
    Sorrento ? is that a new vehicle ?

got a link ?

Rocky
    Sorrento ? is that a new vehicle ?

Yes it looks just like an Italian village. :P

Fintail, are you serious Clark as Beverly D'Angelo said in National Lampoons Vacation ;)

My GAWD that a performance SUV ?

Whoa ! :surprise:

Rocky
    Oh yeah, it's "Sorento" - one "r". I don't understand why is it is spelled that way...some different for the sake of being different scheme dreamed up by a brain-addled marketeer, maybe. I get it wrong most of the time.

And the ad said it was "performance"...I don't think anyone really thinks it is.
    Agree.....Name me a Korean product that is....Hold your breath, The Tibby doesn't come close guy/gals. :P

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    The current one isn't much to get excited about, but the new one gets the 3.8 V6 from the Azera so it can go play with the RAV4.
    :surprise:

If you say so....

Rocky
    aren't ya a least bit embarrassed posting that tinament ?

A performance SUV that sounds lie a Vaccum full of cat hair, in my book doesn't equal a performance SUV. I'll take the field ;)

Rocky
    Interesting point, fintail - I think you're absolutely right, revisionist history and all that, but it hasn't seemed to be your bent in the past.

Oh, man! You sold your W-126????? That's a shame.....
    I'm not big on the history thing, but it nags at me sometimes. I don't appreciate how some Japanese handle the past. It wouldn't stop me from buying a Japanese car though...problem is there just aren't many I really want, or at least that I want more than other cars.

Yeah, I kind of had to sell the 126. With the C43 coming on board, I didn't have room to store 3 cars - I live in an urban apt building, and I already pay to park the fintail (which I don't drive as much as I'd like) in a garage. I'd have to pay more to park the 126, and it would really languish as I wouldn't drive it as much as it deserves. I sold it to a MB/126 enthusiast who will garage it and care for it, and who appreciated its condition. I was picky in who I'd sell it to...and this guy wanted it before I was even ready to sell. I do miss the old thing, it was a great car...but it was getting up there in age and mileage, and although nice to drive, it wasn't as fun as the C43. I have no real regrets. In the future if I end up with more storage space, I'll seek out another.
    I totally understand..... I have sold a lot of cars (you can see some of them in my carspace, if you care) that I now regret. But it seemed to be the right thing to do at the time....
    I'm sure it's gotta be hard to sell fine cars. mine weren't exactly classic cars, but I wished I still had my 95' Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible to drive one in a while. Sure it's nothing like a fintail or any extravaggant cars ya'll own, but was nice enoughcar to relax my soul. :)

Rocky
    Most cars are replaceable, so I try not to have regrets. I don't see my cars as 'extravagant' - I bought the fintail for $1500 when I was a teenager, for example. The 126 cost as much as a used Kia Rio. If you know what you're looking for, you can do well without draining your bank account. Rocky, if you want another Olds like that, I bet 5-6K could get you a decent one.
    Rocky, if you want another Olds like that, I bet 5-6K could get you a decent one.

Most of them Fintail are pretty "USED" if you know what I mean. 135,000 + miles and no upkeep. I have seen a few good ones for around $8-10K but the convertible tops need to be replaced. What I really want is a 1990 25th Ann. 7-up Ford Mustang. Emerald Green W/ White leather and a 5-Speed. My Great Aunt had one, but my Cousins beat it up pretty bad. :mad:

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    "Tinament" does not appear in my dictionary. How many Azeras have you ridden around in to know what they sound like?
    Olds made a Convertible Cutlass in 95?
    They DID make a Cutlass convertible in 95! I did not remember that. Hell yes! You should have kept that! Tomorrow, I'll tell you what it's worth when I get to work, I have resources for that.
    Yep I had a 95 red 3.4 DOHC w/ White Leather interior. I'll have to find the pick and post it on My Carspace.com sometime soon. ;) It was a pretty peppy car and it would bury 130 mph easily with the top down and the boot on. :blush:

Rocky
    nvbanker, If you find a Black ext. one with White Leather int. 3.4 DOHC that is in good condition. If you come across one lemme know pal. ;)

Rocky
    P.S. a 94' or 95' is fine.
    8-10K for one of those cars is too much. I saw a really nice one go for like 7K at a locak auction, and that was over 5 years ago. They should still be depreciating.

People like those Mustangs, one of those would run you more than the Olds.
    Well, since I've never seen one in my life - it'll be a bit of a shock when I finally do, but I'll tell ya.
    nvbanker,

You must be referring to the 1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme Black w/ White Leather ? A year before I could afford to buy mine, I saw one at Grand Oldsmobile which was at the time the largest Olds dealer in the U.S. in Grandville, Mi. (Suburb of Grand Rapids) At that time in 97' they were asking $15K A yr. in 98' I baught mine for $13K.

Also Fintail, those Cutlass's Convertibles with the 3.4 DOHC V-6's that are in mint cond. can still command a $10K+ sticker.

The 7-Up Mustang in Mint can be baught for $12-16K, and once I get all my personal finaces situated I might break down and pay cash for one. It will be a inexpensive ride that I know will get me years of driving pleasure, and I won't want to part ways with it either. So you won't have to worry about me being on the Chronic Car Buyer forum. ;)

Thanx Guys,

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    OMG, I almost bought one of these in 95'. Took her for a test drive and the tranny croaked on the way back to the dealership after a 15 mile or so stint. Luckily, where it broke, was in an "Auto-mile" so we were within walking distance to the dealer. The salesman tried his damndest to keep my attention as I was checking out other cars on other lots along the way :D

Needless to say, he gave me a card and said call me when you are ready to sit down and make a deal! I love that story.

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I would have to say no for now. Toyota sales(inclusing Scion and Lexus)are up 36,000 units from last year(644K in 06 vs 608K in 05.) Hyundai sales are also up in the US from last year(105K in 06 vs 97K in 05.) In conclusion Toyota(including Lexus and Scion sales figures)has gained more sales in the US from 06 vs 05 figures than Hyundai or any other automaker in the US from sales stats that I have looked at so far this year. Toyota's market share in the US stands at 13.8% in 06 vs 13.0% in 05. Hyundai's market share in the US is 2.7% in 06 vs 2.6% or 2.5% in 05. I think Toyota sales are mostly up because of the new RAV4 and Lexus IS 300. The new Camry just recently came out. I'm not sure how far into this year Toyota had 06 Camry's sitting on their lots or if dealers still have a mix of brand new 07 Camry's and a little bit of 06 Camry's on their lots.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...take an '06 Camry over an Azera any day. I'm sure those '06s are priced to go.
    Oh I don't know the Azera offers a lot, some things that a Camry doesn't.

Now between a Sonata and a Camry, no contest Sonata wins hands down.

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Features and content wise, Azera Limited offers a lot more than the Camry XLE, yet still at a cheaper price...check the midsize comparison thread for more detailed info...
    interesting next year when the new Corolla comes out, following this summer's release of the next-gen Elantra by Hyundai. Will Elantra approach Corolla sales?

Toyota hit the magic target with this Corolla model. More than four years into the run, they still can't keep Corollas on the lot very long. But there are a lot of deals right now that there probably won't be next year with the new model.

Elantra has never approached the sales level of Corolla, but maybe the next generation will be the one that accomplishes this goal. It looks to be the first Elantra to break a combined EPA rating of 30 mpg, an area where Corolla is a champ right now. So that will help. And I will bet that the safety gear that everyone is shopping for so much right now will be less expensive on the Elantra than it will on the Corolla. Although you never know - with all that stuff standard on the new Civic, we may see Toyota pull one out of the hat and make it standard also.

It looks to be the first Elantra to break a combined EPA rating of 30 mpg, an area where Corolla is a champ right now.

According to the EPA the Elantra (manual tranny) has the best MPG rating of any non hybrid in its class.

hmmm....if you look here:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/elantra/specs/specs.aspx

it appears the Elantra makes 24/32 in the auto, 27/34 in the manual.

I don't know what class Elantra is in, but the ratings of the Civic and Corolla exceed these numbers by a good margin (30/38 for the Civic, 32/41 for the Corolla). I thought they were in the same class as Elantra. I am sure they are the T/H models that would most commonly be cross-shopped with Elantra, as they are the same size.

This is what I have

Elantra manual 27/34

Civic and Corolla are not in the same class per the EPA

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass.htm

This discussion has been closed.