Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    Tell the tec to make sure the the glow plug harness is not in backward. If it is the PCM will sense the #1 & #3 glow plugs as the #2 & #4 glow plugs. The lazy tec is not checking the plugs individually. It sounds as if the tec is going only by what the code indicates. He should be Ohming out the glow plugs to see which one truly is defective and change that one. Codes only indicate where to check. What your stating tells me that the tec is shot gunning the problem because he only get .5 hours for a glow plug change.
    As for the bucking, change your fuel filter and make sure your buying premium diesel from a good source. Also have the dealer check your battery and charging system. Weak electrical systems will cause problems.
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    Tell them to overnight the TCM or give you a loaner car.
  • irishjeepirishjeep Member Posts: 1
    HI! I have recently bought a 2005 jeep liberty 2.5 crd with 6500 miles. Problem:growling noise from towards front end when turning steering wheel left or right, mostly when decelerating on light load and at slow speeds.Dealer replaced driveshaft(I think)and problem disappeared for a time but has returned.Has anyone got a suggestion please?
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    Hi irishjeep,
    How were you able to find a 2.5 CRD?
    For the growling noise I would check fluid level first, the tension of the serpentine belt and the power steering pump. On mine the dealership wanted to replace the power steering and I refused. That was 3 years ago already.
  • f250sd73f250sd73 Member Posts: 12
    We have 16K miles on it and has been running great so far. Once in while it would run a little rough for minute then clear up. But this friday it starting missing then just died. I thought maybe the fuel filter was pluged. I unscrewed the filter and dumped out the fuel. It looked fine. Nothing floating in it and no gunk visable in the can. I placed it back on and pumped the primer. It started back up but ran poor and missed. The jeep would start and run for a minute then die. So we had it towed home. I got a new filter from a dealer. But I figured if the filter was clogged I better drain the tank. I disconnected the line into the filter housing and hooked up an electric pump. It spit a little fuel out then nothing but air. I tried by-passing the fuel pump relay to get the Jeeps electric pump going, but nothing but air. Hmmmm??? Gage says 1/4 tank.

I added 4.5 gallons of fresh fuel. Pumped the primer. It started up and ran fine. I drove it to the fuel station and added 13.5 gallons more. That's 18 gallons total. So it should have had 2.5 gallons left in it when it died.

Anybody got a diagram of the fuel tank assembly?
  • worriedcrdworriedcrd Member Posts: 1
    HI,

I was wondering if you have ever got the check engine light solved. My light just came on about three weeks ago. The TECHs got two codes: 1. EGR Deviation Flow and 2. Turbo under boost code. My service TEch suggest us to replace two hoses (Charge Air cooler). After reading these forum I think they were wrong. My Jeep had about 38000 on it when the light came on.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    f250sd73: we have a 05 Sport CRD with 22,499 miles on it. We have had the sending unit/fuelpump/fuelfilter in the tank replaced 4 times. The gauge has been the reason. Once the gauge said 1/4 and it took nearly 19.7 gallons. On another unit it said 1/2 and it took 8 gallons to fill up. On another unit it said E and it 6 gallons to take it to 1/2. I think the latest unit reads ok.
    It might be that the electric pump is somehow to high, and will not pick up that last 2.5 gallons. I would take it back to the dealer. Hope this helps.

Farout
  • jrpeterson75jrpeterson75 Member Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if I am cursed or just bought a lemon. Purchased my 05 Liberty new, have had transmission / electrical problems since new. 1 tranny rebuild, 1 replacement tranny, wiring harness in the pass frt door, 2 BCU'S and just tonight looks like I'm due for another tranny. This Jeep had so many warranty failures in its 1st 20k of life DCX provided a 5/70 free of charge. Little solace, just means I will have piece of crap at 70k (that I have to pay to repair frequently) instead of one startefor which the $$ pain started @ 36k.

Just curious, am I a rare case?

Jon
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    My wild guess is that you are probably in a group of 3-8% of owners. So kinda bad luck but you aren't alone.
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Rather interesting issue. There is a low fuel light in the instrument cluster and I have yet to see it work. I have run the tank down to 1.7 gallons left and the light did not come on. Rather unsettling.

According to the owner's manual, on page 174, it states the low fuel light should come on "when there is 2.3 U.S. gallons". :confuse:
    I realize that this is a really late response to your problem, but Daimler-Chrysler has recalled all model year Libertys for the ball joint issue. If you have your sales receipt, they might refund you your money,otherwise you are entitled to a new set of ball joints on their dime.
    jrpeterson75: What you got from DCX on your 2005, was no big deal, the 2005 came with a 7 year 70,000 warranty! There has to be something that causes the problems with the transmission, if the same thing keeps happening. You just might ask if they will replace your PCM and ECU. The 545RFE is a very reliable heavy duty transmission! There has to be a cause, and the dealer needs to find it, ASAP. If what you say is accurate then you might consider calling DCX at 1 800 992 1997 and press the last choice. Tell them you want to start a Lemon buy back, or replacement. Then call your Service manager tell him the same thing. Then call the General manager and tell him the same thing. This should get the ball rolling enough to either get it fixed right or get you out of it. Hope this helps.
    Is this your first diesel? I am amazed that DCX thought we could just jump in these CRD's and go. These CR's do need a lot more attention than a gas Liberty. It seems to me I am always learning more and seeing that these engines are real tough, but they need to be kept up in the right way.

Farout
  • jrpeterson75jrpeterson75 Member Posts: 2
    My relationship witk my CRD is a love-hate one.

I love the design, enjoy the decent mileage, hate the frequent breakdowns and despise the fact my "5-star" dealer appears to be incapable of repairing anything the first, second, or third time. I will say when the guys from our sub in the UK come to visit they are impressed by a yankee with a diesel though (some joys there).

According to the dealer, this came with a 3/36 warranty. Unfortunately for me, Illinois has nearly the weakest lemon laws in the USA and unless you have under 12k and are under 12 months since purchase, tough bananas. Bummer for a guy that drives 50k annually.

Regardless, I learned one thing from this whole ordeal: its not so much the model or make you buy, but the dealer makes the difference. Never ever buy a vehicle from Jack Wolf Jeep in Belvidere, IL!!!!!!
    Hello Host's Steve, tidesetter: This new layout for the Liberty Diesel sure busted a lot of people who I had come to know and interact with completely apart! This new forum format is divided up to fine. It may well take a long time for someone to answer a question. I personally do not like this new forum at all. I am not saying I won't still come here, but I am now looking for a Liberty forum more like what this forum use to be like. This was not a very good idea at all.IF THERE IS ANY WAY TO RECONSIDER HAVING AT LEAST ONE HEADING CALLED LIKE BEFORE LIBERTY DIESEL. AFTER ALL THERE WERE ONLY 11,000 MADE, AND MAYBE THERE ARE 200 OF US CRD OWNERS HERE, THE ODDS OF VERY SPECFIC QUESTIONS ARE RATHER SLIM FOR CRD OWNERS. Thanks for considering my request.

Farout
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hi Farout - funny how only 11,000 were made and we were pushing 11,000 posts in the general discussion. :P

Let's try a meet the members discussion with the understanding that if a thread takes off, we'll set up a separate and easily searchable discussion for it. Here's the link:

Jeep Liberty Common Rail Diesel Jeep Liberty Common Rail Diesel Meet & Greet (maybe CRD would be less of a mouthful?)
  • anomiousanomious Member Posts: 170
    Farout... I second your motion
    LK
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Farout and Host.... I think that the host do not want to work hard any more. If i have to go and jump from one place to another it will not work for me what ever happen to the freedom that we had; now i can not follow up any more. If it does not change it will be good by for me.....

nescosmo....
    We're thinking the workload may increase a little bit because there will be more discussions, and more questions and comments that will need to be redirected so that people can get answers. But the complaints to our help desk show that a lot people who find Edmunds have trouble figuring out where to post or they are deterred from posting in huge discussions. And most people don't seem to want to or don't know how to search, so that hasn't been much of a solution either. I don't have access to the numbers, but participation does seem to be up already.

Once you are familiar with the discussions here, the easiest way to keep up with new posts is to use the Tracking system. So for everything CRD, you'd want to track the Jeep Liberty and Jeep Liberty Diesel Group. If you don't care about CRD prices or leasing or non-diesel info, you could then untrack those discussion(s).

Any new discussions would show up on your tracking radar, and if the thread wasn't of interest you would turn off tracking for that discussion as well.

Hey, it's easier than keeping track of what additives you should put in the CRD at your next fill up. :shades:
    Steve: Wait a darn minute here. At what price do we value fuel economy? What really counts is the price per gallon of fuel right? Just because some CRD owners put in $15. of PS Cetane booster and Standyne lubercating stuff per tank full of diesel, these guys get 28 mpg! Now I ask you, does it not seem better to get 28 mpg? They are not using that foreign oil as much! (you do NOT count the additives cost! Don't ya know?)
    If ya discounted the cost of the Micky's D used frying oil, and the cost per mile goes way down! (again a persons time in making the Bio fuel does not count either)
    Just because the fuel pump, injector pump, injectors, and glow plugs, might only last only 10% of the time you would get if you used just plan diesel fuel. Now that's what some call saving the BIG money!

Farout
    hehe, always fun when I can strike two nerves with one post! :shades:
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    Hey Farout,I agree.Takes more jumping around the site to get to a topic.Guess I'll see the regulars in here somewhere.A few of the Crd'ers are really well informed and educated on this vehicle and it was nice to be able to find them easily.Sounds like were stuck with the new improved way.
    A lot of the guys got L.O.S.T. :cry:

LK
    arvman: This "new & improved" version must have been designed by a guy that works part-time for Edmunds, and full-time for HOMELAND SECURITY. I am just waiting to have some forum to look this. (oh just incase you did not hear Daimler is about to put Chrysler Motors up for sale) (I thing this just might be more freedom for Chrysler) Any ways here is what might be the future forum.

Jeep/before sale to Kia Motors/older Liberty CRD from V.M. Motori/after fifth Ball joint recall/after # 17 ECU/PCM reflash/ with new 656 RFE retro fit Transmission/with new and improved seat covers.

Now that is getting right down to the little bitty nit-picken smallest Detail! I especially like the part about Kia Motors buying out Chrysler. That is what I call a nightmare strieght out of Ford's wish list drawer!

Farout
    Never heard about KIA buyin out chrysler,but I did see a commercial recently showing doctor "z" showcasing the diesel liberty and commander saying how enviro friendly the company is.No disclaimer at the bottom saying they do not make a diesel libby anymore,at least not for north america.Maybe the asians should buy these guys out,might get better service and product reliability,although my lib is still runnin fine,cheers,arvman...
  • vtdogvtdog Member Posts: 163
    I hate to be a Luddite, but I too do not like the way the forum has been fractured. Prior to the change, it was possible to spend a few minutes reviewing the forum to see if anything worthwhile has been reported. With the "improved" version, one must go to several different sub-forums to get the whole picture. It does not make sense to me to add forums, when one will do (and has). "If it aint broke, dont fix it"!

However, if you must keep it like this, please add a forum titled "whiners only" so I can ignore it
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It does not make sense to me to add forums ...

Actually, you're in a minority. We get TONS of complaints from people put off by having to navigate "general" topics containing thousands or even tens of thousands of messages.

please add a forum titled "whiners only"

Hmm! :)

tidester, host
    I seem to remember someone posting a while back that they had had modified their exhaust.I did it on my old F-150 and noticed a huge difference in mileage,about a quarter tank on the highway.Has anyone done this?If so what were the results and wheredid the parts come from?Thank's,ARVMAN...
    In the original Jeep Liberty Diesel forum, several people had added the Aero Turbine muffler.

Walker exhaust, owners of DynoMax has a cat back system for the CRD with a couple of different mufflers. I have the list of parts and their numbers somewhere. Go look here:

http://www.dynomax.com/

If you download the catalog, a pdf file, it is on page 140.

I have not modified the exhaust on my CRD as of yet. I am going to wait for this one to fall apart. I am pretty satisfied with how it works.
    Thank's Winter.I'll be doin the same,let this one fall off or wait till warranty runs out.The little beast is running great.have you drained much water off the fuel filter?I haven't yet because no light on the dash but I wouldn't mind bleeding some off the bottom anyway.Is it the filter on the firewall on the driver's side by the priming pump?
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D630725P&N=7- 00+400304+306110+115&autoview=sku

Hi! I put this on my CRD. Sounds great, quiet and low pitch. It's 2 1/2" straight through.

Cheers! LK
    Would be nice,but we need to have catalytic converters out here for enviro laws.Thank's for the info,the bigger pipe will make a difference.
    Hi! We do too. I installed it after the stock catalitic convertor. Also it's small diameter saves ground clearance.

LK :)
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    My relationship witk my CRD is a love-hate one

Sorry to break it to you this way, Jrpeterson75, but your relationship (and anyone else for that matter) with you CRD should be love-hate-fear. The front lower ball joint set up on Jeep Liberty was designed by a D-student. DC used tension ball joints to support the front of the vehicle rather than pressure ball joints!?

My opinion is that this stupid design defect falls in the same catagory as Ralf Nader's "unsafe at any speed" VW Beetle and the exploding gas tank Pintos. At least the Beetle and the Pinto had to be involved in an particular kind of accident to be dangerous.

These Liberty ball joints are not just likely to fail. It is inevitable that uninspected and ignored all existing Libertys will eventually pop their ball joints and fall to the ground. :mad: :sick:
    siberia: How are doing in the "Edmunds Auto Maze Forum"? I have been quite displeased with this "new and improved" system, but it appears Edmunds hired a former DCX Jeep Compass designer, to make this new system.....ug.
    Going by what you said "all existing Liberty's will eventually pop their ball joints". Those words as I put then can be said for every moving part on the Liberty. That's why Ralf Nader destroyed a pretty good vehicle (Corvair) with too wide a general statement. They were safer than most VW bugs, and most early made vehicles from Japan. You remember the country...Japan, we use to get most of our imports from there a long time ago?

Farout
    It's funny I have recieved no notice on the ball joints.I told the service guy about it 3 months ago,he says don't worry,I'll be notified.Well,I'll call today for the oil change and see about the ball joints.Being a safety issye,you would think they would be all over this.Might be a parts issue but what if it becomes a lawsuit issue?Anyone had any problems getting this work done in a timely manner?
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    Hi Farout,

Since the Forum is free I find it hard to complain too much, but I did like it better before the change. I agree with you about the Corvair. GM dropped the model just when it was becoming a much better car and it was not in the same category as the VW Bug

I want to thank you for mentioning Moog ball joints some time back. I now have Moog ball joints installed and filled with synthetic grease. The Moogs are visibly better constructed than the OEM units and heavier to the extent possible given the installation restrictions. The steering is now light and precise going down the highway – all steering numbness is gone.

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/library.aspx

True every moving part will eventually fail, but not too many moving parts are designed so that when they fail the vehicle drops to the pavement. I wrote a lot about this over on the Jeep Liberty: Ball Joint / Rear End Clunk section and I don’t want to repeat it here. Pressure ball joints support the vehicle by pushing the ball joint ball into the cup. A pressure ball joint can become very loose before it becomes dangerous since the load of the vehicle is still trying to push ball joint ball into the cup.

A tension ball joint, like on the Liberty, works just the opposite. The weight of the vehicle is trying to pull the ball joint apart. It is only the portion of the cup that partially wraps around the ball that carries the load and when that wears far enough the joint pops apart dropping the vehicle. In some of the cases when one side popped the additional load on the other side popped that side also. When you look at the drawing on the Moog site realize that the vehicle is hanging from the ball joints and look at the small area under the ball that is supporting the vehicle.

I will be inspecting my ball joints at each oil change until I find out how the Moogs are holding up. I was at the 1.5mm limit on the OEM at just 28k miles. Thanks again for the tip, Farout.
  • semperfi06semperfi06 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your last reply. I was aware that the PCM could be changed to correct the shift points of the transmission, but everything else is working fine and I didn't want to take it in for just this problem. We also can't afford to be without our vehicle for long, and I didn't know how long OP Jeep might take to repair this. In fact, when I asked my wife about it, she did not even notice it and it makes no difference to her. Did you notice an improvement in fuel economy once your shift points were lowered? Also, right now I would like to use the diesel motor torque to pass with, but when I go to pass vehicles on some of these country single lane roads we use, the RPMs go up and stay there too long. I keep trying to let off the fuel so that the transmission will shift to a higher gear, because once that happens, the Jeep surges forward nicely. Did your passing ability improve and the engine be allowed to operate in a lower RPM range in almost all situations? If you or anyone else can give me info on this, it will be appreciated. SemperFi06
  • reynoldzreynoldz Member Posts: 1
    irishjeep,

I bought an 03' Jeep Liberty Sport, it was a leftover on the lot with only 40 miles on it. Loved it at first. Then I had problems with the rotors and brakes, then I had the same exact problem you had, the grinding/clunking noise when I turned left and right. Brought it to my dealer, twice, first time they said it was normal, second time they replaced my driveshaft. It was quiet for a couple of weeks and then the noise came back. Switched dealers, finally after the third try, the new dealer located the problem and I haven't had a problem with that since. It was the rear differentials in the drive shaft, they said the weights were missing. Since then I've had the ball joint recall (wondering what happened to the first recall). Good luck with this. I was getting quite discouraged but I got a paid rental jeep to take on vacation while my first dealer tried to figure out the problem, to no avail. I've had way too many problems with my jeep and I didn't even tow or do any serious 4 wheeling with it. I'm trading it in and going with a new dodge car, 4 cyl - tired of the gas guzzling with the 6 cycl. Good Luck with your jeep, I'm gonna miss mine, I loved the thing but I don't think it will stick with me for the long run so I'm gettin out while I can still get a decent trade in. Don't forget - ask the service technicians to look at the rear differntials! Best of luck to you - Collen
  • mich2226mich2226 Member Posts: 6
    I'm still having the same problems and now its making a funny noice like if its loosing power when I turn left or right. You are lucky because the dealers here in New York have not been helpful at all. I feel stuck with my jeep. I wish it would just disappear and I feel so unsafe I hate it. Plus I'm seven months pregnant and driving an unsafe car. FYI I just received my recall notice.
    I have not touched the fuel filter nor have I drained any water from the filter. I have had no light appear on the dashboard. I wish they had put a drain on the fuel tank though in case there was a large amount of water there.

As to water in the fuel, the additives I use regularly gather up any moisture and allow it to pass through the injection system harmlessly.
    Arvman,

You do not need to wait for the recall notice. I did not wait for a recall notice and made an appointment at the local Jeep dealer. They did the repair sans notice.
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Yesterday i went to get some diesel and the station did not have any i ask and they told me that they put gas in the tank of the diesel. 3 trucks put over 300 worth each and they had to clean the tanks and the tank truck too. Is gas so bad with the diesel, does any body can explain me why is so bad when they said that the diesel engine run with even charcoal dust? why is gas so different...

nescosmo
    The people at that station are nimrods.Diesel and gas are very different.Diesel works on the heat of compression produced by the higher compression ratio of a diesel engine,generally 20 to 1,while gas engines run at approx 8 to 1.Without getting too far into detail,THESE TWO NEVER MIX.You would have been better off putting furnace oil or kerosene in the truck.If they put gas in your jeep they should have to pay for all related repairs.Diesel fuel helps to lubricate and cool your injectors and pump,gas may do some serious damage to the fuel system,especially in the Common Rail system.If you ever accidentally put gas in,don't even start the vehicle,get it towed to a garage and drained.The cost and inconvenience will be enough to never make the same mistake twice.I know,I've had to be the one draining and flushing the vehicles when someone has put gas into a diesel or vice versa,your better off running dry.Rudolph Diesel would be rolling over in his grave...
  • playgabeplaygabe Member Posts: 31
    We have an May 05 built CRD sport.
    Have had only one problem. The fan clutch had to be replaced twice and a reflash.
    We drive the Jeep like a truck. Using the trans. as a clutch to slow. We pull a travel trailer (2800#) and get 19mpg. Yesterday I tested the mpg on the hwy got 26 driving 68mph.
    So far the Jeep has preformed as advertised.
    We always let the engine warm up for 2 min. when cold b/4 putting it into gear. I don't think there is another vehicle on the market now that would give us the towing capacity hi clearance and mpg that the Liberty does. So far we're satisfied.
    Putting gasoline in a diesel is a recipe for disaster. Besides wiping out the injection system of the diesel, you will burn up the rest of the engine.

The original diesel engine built by Rudolf used coal dust and then peanut or some vegetable oil.
    semperfi06:After the PCM change out the shift points have remained at 48 to 53 to shift into 5th and 53 to letting my foot off the accelerator. Even before the PCM change when I punch it there is no doubt it's moving at capacity. No matter when I punch it to pass it drops to a gear that is below the redline, when at redline it shifts up to the next higher gear. Yes the fuel mpg went up, especially when before I had gotten a couple of 19 mpg and for me that just was not going to fly with me. I have always been polite with our service manager. However I have been very firm maybe two times. The service advisor said the tec had gone to a town about 40 miles west of the dealer. Odd, because we had followed our Jeep for the last 35 miles at a point that was east of the dealer. That was exactally what I said it was...a lie. Red faced the service tec just kept quiet. The real problem with every problem is the Tec's just are not able to trace down information, and I believe STAR has give up training any more tecs on the CRD. If my dealer ever stopped knowing how to fix this CRD I would take it to Capitol Dodge in Jefferson City, MO. They told me they can do warranty Jeep work, and I know they do top notch work.

Farout
  • hogwild1961hogwild1961 Member Posts: 26
    I just took a pipe and knocked it str8 throught the convertor...i noticed more power and fuel milage..and it sure smells like a diesel...
  • hogwild1961hogwild1961 Member Posts: 26
    Has any one bought a aftermarket module i have noticed edge has one out and soon painless will have one..and how did it do..Thanks
    Yesterday evening the malfunction light came on and it stays on. I have read the Owners Manual, Can anyone tell me if they have had this yellow little pest come on, and what it took to get it fixed? I have 24,400 miles on the CRD and I do have the DCX extended Service warranty on the Liberty, so unless it, is something I am to service DCX will take care of. Thanks for your help.

Farout
    Farout,generally,unless you have a code reader or scan tool,you will have to bring the jeep in to get it asessed.Should be free if you're under warranty.I'm curious,does it seem to drive better?My check engine light came on this summer in the middle of the Rockies and the truck ran better than ever.Got it checked as soon as possible,the teck cleared it and it came on before he got it out of the shop.The code that it spit out was P1140 ACTIVE.I drove it this way for a week till I got it to my dealer.It had to do with a control solenoid or valve on the E.G.R.,not the e.g.r. itself.The teck was good but part supply wasn't.Took a week to get the part and another week and a half for a gasket,one day to do the work.Spent about a month with the light on and the truck ran fine if not better!If you find out it is something like this,make sure the service rep knows they need a gaket,I wouldn't let them get my jeep until all parts were in,especially since it was running fine,the tec new his stuff though.Good luck and keep us posted...