Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• themistoclesthemistocles Member Posts: 95
    ah here it is... http://www.hondata.com/reflash_06_civicsi.html

i dont race anyway, so i dont really know why im talkin so much about this. all i was tryin to say was i like the Si better than the new Gti. one day i was like im going to buy a new car, so i went to several dealerships a day for a weak or so test driving cars, then i decided to get the si.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    thanks for the link, this actually proves my point; they are just lowering when the high end cams take over, instead of so close to 6k rpms; and they even mention how the sound is more subtle, but still produces more power. (your car sounds different so high up, simply because when that cam is engaged you are making your peak power.)

the dyno charts show that this car after headers, intake, exhaust and the chip w/heatshield, makes a little less power to the wheels (just hp that is) than a stock gti.

don't worry about your car man, its a great choice and you should enjoy it!
  • snoopyk9snoopyk9 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering where you read that the addition of side airbags increases the Mazda3's rating (Not that I don't believe you, I'm just curious.) Their safety rating is the main reservation I have about the Mazda3. I have been searching and searching everywhere online about safety, and have just run into this post about the improved rating. I am also deciding between a Civic and the Mazda3. Any sources would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety tested the 2005 Mazda 3, and gave it the "Poor" rating for the side impact test. However, that test was done without the side airbags. They have not retested the Mazda3 with the side bags, but other cars, such as the Toyota Corolla, have been tested with and without airbags, and there is a big improvement in the side impact safety rating. The Corolla goes from "Poor" to "Acceptable."

It is probably safe to assume that the same improvement is achieved in a Mazda3 with side airbags. Just go to the IIHS website, www.iihs.org, and look at cars that have been tested with and without side airbags.
    I went to a mazda dealership, test drove the speed3 then went to a honda dealership after and drove the Si. I think the feel of the Si is much better quality. Yea the speed3 has more power and is faster, but shifting and down shifting is a pain compared to the Si. Its got a boring interior, and dont get me started on the seats. The Si seats are the real [non-permissible content removed], lol.
    After writing this, i just realized you could be talking about the regular mazda 3 and not the mazdaspeed 3. lol, in that case ive never driven a mazda 3. I wish they made the mazdaspeed 3 in that sedan rather than only that hatchback.
    If you go to the store and look at MotorTrends new issue. They put the Si up against the new Nissan Spec-V. But in it has a very good review of the Si that is very accurate after driving my Si for 8 months(except mines coupe, not sedan).
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Hello all

I use to be a very proud owner of a 06 Civic EX Sedan, 5MT, w/Navi. The wife and I purchased a 05 Accord EX 5AT and really liked the car. So what the heck I got a very early 8th gen. Civic. It turned out to be a :lemon: .

Here is a list of warranty issues.
    Heater duct fell off.
    Power steering leak.
    Deformed side trunk liners.
    Bad drivers window switch.
    Bad right rear spring.
    Both rear tires had belt speration.
    Dash insert warped around speedo.
    ECU failure.
    Dealers repaired all of this.
    Then it had a rear wheel bearing go bad. I replaced both of them myself.
    Its always had a alignment issue. Right rear tire worn on the inside edge.
    Then this past weekend I found the inner door seals to be roting out. The drivers door seal failed. Then something let loose in the right rear of the car. Whack bang waddle waddle.

So I got rid of it. Traded it for a new Base, 07 Mazda3 S Touring Sedan. Its Purple Mica.

To compare the MZ3 to a Si is a bit of a joke. Its like apples to oranges. Comparing to a EX Sedan is the thing to do.

MZ3 has more motor, more sporty suspension, 17" wheels, Better brakes! Traction Control, fog lights, better seats, a bit more room and less road noise. And I think better fit and finish than my Civic had. The audio system is better. My Bass Link will work nice in the trunk. :)

The Civic had the really cool dash IMO and a tactual feel on cockpit controls only Lexus can match. Ergonomics where great! I liked the drivers seat better than our Accords. The clutch was feather light. The R-18 was smooth as butter and a real mpg getter. If Honda had done the R-18 lean burn. There would be no HCHII. I really like the sun roof and Navi. And I already miss the trunk remote on the fob.

I can share with you the MZ3 is easy to drive compared to the Civic. The Civic just doesn't have enough torque. The R-18 is a surprising engine once broke in. Ive taken a few stock ep3's to school with the stock R-18. It jumped up and surprised them. But I can tell the MZ3 will get the R-18 once broken in.

Im a hypermiler. I spend a lot of time driving for fuel economy. No flaming please. I commute 80 to 125 miles a day. Thats why the Civic had 41.441 miles on it in almost 19 months. The MZ3 will get good mpg but ,,, I don't think it will ever step up to the Civics mpg.

I can share with you the Civic had no rattles or squeaks. Not so much as a loud material rub. And zero wind noise. All it offered up was road noise and a audio system for cabin noise. Almost Accord like. But not as quite as my daughters 04 Camry. Not bad for a Civic,,, at all. Im already hearing material rubs in the MZ3.

To compare these two cars is almost impossible. What one does well the other doesn't. I would hate to have both these cars in my drive way. I would be like a woman trying to figure out which outfit to wear today. They both have style, tude, good engineering, and the ability to please.

Trading the Civic off was like having to put a pet down. Just didn't want to do it. But ,,, just didn't have a choice. The call had to be made.

As for the deal. I got above KBB for the trade on the Civic. Did good on it. I didn't fare so well on the MZ3. $17700 OTD, including dest. Not bad,,, but could have been better. I figure if I'd limped the Civic home and purchased the Mazda3 today I would have got it for $17,200. O well I was done with the Civic and home was 40 miles away in a very crippled car.

I wish my Civic had been one of the solid ones. Or I would still be in it.

psy
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We have both of these cars and we're both pleased with what we drive. I prefer the economy of the Civic and the wife prefers the power of her S model. We both prefer this size of car now, having previously owned mid sized GM cars. I did really like the Mazda 6 Value Edition that I saw at the dealership today though. A lot of car for the money.

The Sandman :)
    I will miss the mpg of the Civic.

http://kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=126884

psy
    hey administrator, whats up with this guy posting these ford advertisements everywhere???

also, i kept comparing the mazdaSpeed 3 to the Si, not the regular 3 series to the Si.

whats the power like in the regular 3 series, size and hp/tq?
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    As for the deal. I got above KBB for the trade on the Civic. Did good on it. I didn't fare so well on the MZ3. $17700 OTD, including dest. Not bad,,, but could have been better. I figure if I'd limped the Civic home and purchased the Mazda3 today I would have got it for $17,200. O well I was done with the Civic and home was 40 miles away in a very crippled car. "

You got aboove KBB for a very crippled car? I think you made out extremely well, and 17700 OTD looks like a great deal on it's own. Invoice is 18135
    how long did you have the civic before all these faults presented themselves?

Suprised you still liked it at all after all this!

The r18 is a great engine; if they would have put the r20 in the new civics the mileage to power ratio would have been wonderful! ep3's actually have some competition! (not so great of a feat though, seeing as how that years si was pretty lame performance wise.)

sorry about your woes, but i'm sure you'll enjoy your car.

oh, and themosticles: the numbers for the 2.0 in the 3 are 148hp and i think about 135lbs of torque.

the 2.3 has 158 hp and 150 lbs of torque.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you would send me an email when you see something like that, I'd really appreciate it. That will get me here faster than if it's just left for me to stumble on in my regular rounds (which is what just happened). And by the time I've seen your post, I've already seen the problem. :)
  • ecofunecofun Member Posts: 23
    I would love to hear your reasons for switching to the Mazda3. Was it simply a matter of being gun shy about going back for another Civic? If so, why did you choose the car you did.
    It had 10k miles on it when stuff started going wrong. At 41k miles that was enough.

I still like the new Civics. i just got a bad one.

psy
    I just didn't want another Civic. I would have done a hybrid if they came with a MT. Im not a small car AT or CVT type of fellow. I enjoy the art and act of driving.

To tell you the truth. I would have rather had a Lancer RallyArt. But the dealer had no 07's left. Being stung by a 06 Civic. There was no way I was going to do a first year Mitsu. And the nicer motor wont be out until 09 I think it is.

So this left the 3. It has features Civic doesn't. TCS is a big one. It handles very well. Corners better than a Civic,dx,lx,ex. And it will stop better also. I also wanted more low end grunt. The 3 is easier to drive than the Civic. The better low end helps a lot in ease of drive ability.

I will miss the fuel economy I was getting in the Civic. I hypermile a lot on my daily grind to and from work. I was getting high 40 and low 50 mpg tanks out of the Civic before I traded it.

I expect mid to high 40 mpg tanks out of the MZ3 after its broke in. I expect good things from this car. :shades:

psy
  • sploarsploar Member Posts: 4
    I agree! And what is with the 3's 6" wide brake pedal? My foot gohatt stuck between the brake pedal and the console. How could I buy a car from a company who would make such a glaringly idiotic mistake? Plus I didn't like the heavy steering. And can a Mazda 3 touch Honda on a lease? I sincerely doubt it! The one thing I did like about the Mazda 3 was the speed. But a little more speed to sacrifice mpg doesn't sound good to me. Like another guy said, if I wanted speed I'd go for REAL speed, a vette or m3 or something.
  • sploarsploar Member Posts: 4
    Wat problems did you have with your Civic? And was it attributable to being a first year model?
    more than likely, but i had a first year model too, and aside from the visor thing and a few weird sounds here an there that were not worth my time; i had no problems with it. I think his was a lemon, and they do exist, from every manufacturer.

I had 23k on mine before i traded it in; she was 11 months old.
  • cz75cz75 Member Posts: 210
    Friend's A/C just died on his 2004 3i - bad compressor. $2200 to fix. I'm glad I bought the Si after driving all the 3s models that had awful A/C, even when it "worked." I guess my perception that Mazda is garbage, a Japanese Ford, has been reconfirmed.
    i felt similar about driving the mazdaspeed 3, and almost everyone i know whos drivin it, just thought it was horrible at just normal driving around, and even trying to shift in a hurry. for instance, i got to test drive it twice, then when i was with my friend at a mazda dealership, the salesmen took me for a ride in one cause i was bored while he was doing crap. well even the salesmen was having to look down and see where he was shifting. lol. and like ive said a million times, the seats feel like something youd sit in at a mcdonalds, i actually thought there was a layer of cardboard behind the thin layer of foam.
    I guess your perception is shared by very few, as the Mazda3 continues to have great sales and get great reviews
    Your comment about the seats is interesting. As a new owner of a Mazda 3 GT, I am finding the seats superb. My two other cars are an 03 CRV and 04 Accord EX6, which was the car I drove prior to my recent puchase. On Saturday I drove 180 miles roundtrip NH to RI and back with my wife and commented on how comfortable and supportive the seats were. I told her that my lower back would have been aching in the Accord but nothing but total comfort in the 3. The following day we took the Accord for a 1 hr drive and within 45 minutes the lower back started aching. I think you misjudge the firmness of the seat as a bad thing. To the contrary, on a long drive this is definitely the way to go. You are not jealous of 3 owners, are you?
    Getting great reviews isn't too hard, in the short term. One wonders about the flaws that will show up in the long-term, like broken A/C after 4 years.

Moreover, popularity isn't a good yardstick for quality. Anyone who bought one would almost have to notice how worthless the A/C was, yet still be dumb enough to buy one.
    lol, i test drove the mazda, the GTi, cobalt ss, wrx, rsx-s and even a mustang GT before i test drove the Si. Also the seats in the speed3 i drove were not the leather ones, im sure the leather ones are better. lol and no im definitely not jealous. I woulda bought one if i liked it...No way in hell would i trade my Si for the speed 3. Just my opinion. The Si's seats are the [non-permissible content removed] too :) wouldnt trade em for any other seat. Because of the wide body of the car, they were able to make the seats wider. Just try sittin in one, youll see how comfortable and the quality of em :D
    anyway, i respect your decision, not trying to be rude or anything. Everyone likes different styles and what not. have fun wit er
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I guess my perception that Mazda is garbage, a Japanese Ford, has been reconfirmed.

Because the A/C went, makes the car "garbage" A bit fast to come to that conclusion, don't you think? Every reliability survey states that the Mazda3 is a great vehicle. Also, the A/C issue has been rectified in the newer models

Calling Mazda a "Japanese Ford" is a bit much.

Would you jump all over the recent poster in this thread, who's Civic literally fell apart on him, if he called a Honda a piece of junk? I doubt it.
    My 1998 Accord EX6 left me stranded on I-95 when the fuel pump went with only 80,000 miles on the car. Does that mean all Accords are bad? You can't look at one car as a representative sample? Check out the long term reports and you will see that the 3 is holding up well and resale value is strong. Each to his own, you know. I drove the Si before making my purchase but went with the 3 because the interior was better, mpg was better and it didn't require premium fuel. It's a matter of what you are looking for. There are 3 lovers and civic lovers. It was a tough decision but in the end I have absolutely no regret with the 3 and getting many more compliments than I ever did with four Hondas.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Who actually makes the A/C in the Mazda3? There is a good chance that it is Nippondenso which makes most of the A/C units for the Japanese companies. Could be very similar to a unit put in Hondas and Toyotas.
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    Funny you mention "4 years" did you read the study of the most reliable car company after 4 years on the road?
    a fuel pump going bad after 80k on an accord from 98 is no biggie at all.

the mpg figures for the si and the 3 are roughly the same, and many si owners are exceeding epa.

interior better? hmm..different, but i wouldn't say 'better'.
    fuel pump is no biggie...at 80K...that's a stretch. What percent of Accords would you guess blow a fuel pump by 80K?

Don't know where your mileage numbers come from, but last I looked fueleconomy.com showed a difference of 3.2 mpg based on actual driving experience.

As far as interior is concerned, leather, Bose, and a back seat someone could actually fit in were enough for me.
    Getting great reviews isn't too hard, in the short term. One wonders about the flaws that will show up in the long-term, like broken A/C after 4 years. ""

They got great reviews in 2004, straight thru 2007. I'd like to see a negative one, if you can find it

>>Moreover, popularity isn't a good yardstick for quality. Anyone who bought one would almost have to notice how worthless the A/C was, yet still be dumb enough to buy one."

I have an 06 and my a/c is not an issue, and that is with 100 degree humid days
    I've yet to see any more than one long-term test to shake out the cars flaws. Even Ford and GM can make something that holds together until warranty is up, for the most part. Of course, they both know how to make decent A/C too.
    CZ you made your point, its Japanese garbage bla...
    Now that you bought the si(which loses in every comparison done to date to the Speed 3) you don't need to show us how happy you are with your underdog..go brag in the civic forum that one Mazda3 had an A/C replaced..
    Enjoy your si, and don't think it's a civic.
    Hey CZ, if you want to read about bad A/C, check out this link:
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/vt101989_start0_orderasc.html
    Ecofun,

That is not fair to the Honda Civic people. Showing them evidence that their Honda actually can have problems is just wrong! We should only state problems with other brands, for, they are and never will be flawless like the Honda Civic.

I guess I am out of line as well for posting the following link....

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=25480
    1st thing: honda was a hair behind, so its practically a moot point.

2nd thing: i think comparing 2 brands that are usually thought of as better than average with regards to reliability and to have either one called junk by an owner/fan of the other is silly.

so i kinda disagree with c's comments as well as the honda ones. both are good cars.
    i will agree with this.

come one guys, most car reviews that favor the car NEVER

EVER

EVER

EVER take into consideration long term reliability. (sometimes a honda review will throw it in or mention resale value but thats about it.)

and yes i know that the 3 has gotten consistent good reviews in later years...but then again they are testing a NEW car right? not just re-using an older tester again? :blush:

in fact, i can't think of anyone who has had their 3 in a long term fleet...if there is a site i'd love to read up on it.

i'm NOT arguing the 3 is a bad car at all, i'm just saying that the concept of reliability issues coming up during the early miles of the car regardless of year wont show what long term reliability is, so no one, not a honda or mazda guy, can go by that. :sick:
    why are you bringing in the speed 3 and si into this?

nothing wrong with an underdog...in fact, most people agree that the si actually handles BETTER than the mazda, and i know a few edmunds and c/d tests put certain grip and slalom numbers on par if not better than the 3. and the shifter is worlds better on the civic than on the speed 3.

Tq and acceleration? yeah you have your winner...but you don't have anything new or typcial of the brand: anyone can turbo a large engine and excpect good acceleration. :blush:

Cz has no need to brag in the civic forums about mazda 3's having a/c problems, enough people do it here.

didn't understand the comment about enjoying one's si and not thinking its a civic...is that suppossed to be like derogatory? its a type of civic, so i don't see how your comment makes any sense at all.
    Why don't you get familliar with the forums? Cz states he owns an si and he could not wait to report a problem on a friend's 3!(jea..)!
    "its a type of civic"hint: It's ugggggly! It's a Japanese Saturn! Made out of plastic :P
    I don't see asmany problems as the Honda civic, or as many problems occuring on one car that would make you think you are looking at the Audi forums!

"edmunds and c/d tests put certain grip and slalom numbers on par if not better than the 3"
    Did they check the tire'sidewalls? M.T. did, and on the race track the car could not hold up to the rest because of the tires!! The side walls were almost gone!
    tireson the 3 after 3 laps looked new! So enjoy tour turns, just keep it slow.
    I was being sarcastic, I figured YOU of all people would pick up on that!
    It's a good idea to use a ;) or something for everyone's benefit. It can be hard to pick up that kind of subtlety when you can't see the person's face or hear the tone of voice. :)
    sorry dude! i know i should have!

its all good bro. :)
    Why don't YOU get familiar with the forums mr. 116 posts?

its a type of civic"hint: It's ugggggly! It's a Japanese Saturn! Made out of plastic

who needs a hint? and why are you hinting at something that it isn't? there are so many useless and wrong things with this statement i needn't type anymore.

M.T. did, and on the race track the car could not hold up to the rest because of the tires!! The side walls were almost gone!
    tireson the 3 after 3 laps looked new! So enjoy tour turns, just keep it slow.

first of all, what car are you talking about? the si or the civic? i strongly doubt that the sidewalls were 'almost gone'. which mt comparo compares the 3 to a civic in which this happened or compares the 3 to an si when this happened?

if there were any truth to this statement it makes the tires look bad, not the car.

i don't really take motortrend that serious anymore, and they have never really had bad things to say about the civics, especially not after giving it the car of the year award.
    Yeah, by the time I thought of that, it was too late to edit it!
    No you don't need to get familliar with all the posts, but who you are replying to, you look at the original post. :)
    What you can not accept my opinion ? I hate how it looks, and told you why! ;)
    The sidewalls of the tire wearing out has very little to do with the tire itself, it has to do with engineering of the suspension, and the engineer that chose that exact tire for their superior handling Honda. :P
    Who said its a bad car? It just does not compare to the 3! :)
    Is that last post good Pat? Plenty of friendly gestures! ;)
    :)
    i never had a problem accepting your opinion...but i CAN disagree with it.

the civic in both si and regular versions is a fine hanlding vehicle. (the regular performing almost at the same level as the 3, the si throughly exceeding it.)

i know you dislike how it looks, but i have yet to see a saturn that looks like it.

and then to top it off some of the statements you made were just poor english.

nice enough for ya?
    I think someone who can't seem to find capital letters when constructing sentences isn't really in a position to criticize someone else's English (i.e.,grammar)...
    "nice enough for ya?"
    Very much so, why would I engage in an argument with someone who does not know how to spell(thoroughly, handling) and refers to himself as (i)!That's not like missing a comma or an apostrophe when you're typing fast!No wonder I don't like your choice, and yes you cannot see a Saturn that looks like it, because they are not running anymore :P