Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    How can you say the 96-00 was the last "good" generation? I'm curious as what you mean by that...no harm intended, just curious as to the merits of the "good" ones vs. the 2001 + "bad" ones?

Well, I guess I have a few reasonings. First off, and this one may not hold water, but I recall a lot less issues with the 96-00's when newer than the 01's and beyond. However, this may just be a result of more people finding places like this to vent about their cars as the internet evolved.

I guess my biggest reason for saying it was that I feel the 96-00 was the most complete Civic line. It catered to all types with sedan/coupe/hatch bodystyles. The styling was not breathtaking in any way, but you knew it was a Civic when you looked at it. And the design was also flexible as it was conservative enough for daily drivers and at the same time a blank canvas for the tuner world. The drivetrain was not truly powerful, save for the Si, but it was acceptable for the time. I can say that the power in my 99 is the bare minimum I would want, but more than enough for the majority.

Of course, just my opinion.

Dave
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Ok, fair enough :) . Thanks for a post without sarcasm...a rarity around these boards!
    I aim to please...

Dave
  • douglas7douglas7 Member Posts: 1
    good day ... I read with interest the comparison of the Mazda3 versus the Civic. This is not a new debate - for several years Consumer Reports had recommended both the Civic and the 3 (including the predessors the Protege and 323) Both are exceptional vehicles for the money. I am glad that Honda has caught up with the 3 in power and handling with the 2006. If I were to choose one over the other it would be the Mazda ... why? my opinions on the styling of the new Civic ... mechanically it is there .. but the front end looks like a Saturn and the dash ... oooohh yuch .. just does not work for me ..
    The Mazda is great looking from every angle ...
    Either car would be a better purchase over a Corolla ...

cheers

jd
  • czrczr Member Posts: 7
    Z71, I think you bought a lemon and you need to get over it. Every car manufacturer has them and you can't validate your reasoning by bringing up a old pickup that you have into the equation.

I think right now the comparison is reasonable and the comparison is STILL valid but you the Mazda3 is already 3 years old. That is a huge difference but if the 3 is beating up on the new civic right now in comparisons, what is to come of a all-new 3 in a year or two?

Before the model change, Mazda is coming out with the Mazdaspeed3 which will destroy the Civic Si in every category. But I digress, those will account for a minscule amount of sales. Then, will also relaunch an all-new Mazda3. But, then we can say that we are comparing an old Civic to a new Mazda. :cry:

Conclusion: In the world of compact cars, buy the civic and you get a proven, get-the-job-done car and you get vanilla. Buy the Mazda and have a compact driver's car and live a little. Performance numbers don't lie and qualititative numbers show it. But most importantly, extensively test drive both and find out for yourself.

Disclaimer: I do not own either but if I did, I wouldn't do boring.
    I think right now the comparison is reasonable and the comparison is STILL valid but you the Mazda3 is already 3 years old. That is a huge difference but if the 3 is beating up on the new civic right now in comparisons, what is to come of a all-new 3 in a year or two?

Very true, and I am going to bring up this dead horse again, but with fuel economy numbers that are 5-9mpg less than the Civic, it darn well better deliver better performance! In a year or two, if the 3 has its current power with the Civic's economy, THEN I will be very impressed and first in line for one, but the current set-up "don't impress me much". My 2006 Accord has the more horsepower and more torque figures than the Mazda, yet also delivers better fuel economy (26/34) vs. (26/32) has a lot more room and weight to carry around (you know our Honda's have to lug around all of our standard safety features (Airbags and the like).

That's why I'm not really impressed with what the 3 accomplishes.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    My 2006 Accord has the more horsepower and more torque figures than the Mazda, yet also delivers better fuel economy (26/34) vs. (26/32) has a lot more room and weight to carry around

yeah but your Accord is about as exciting as a 5lb bag of fertalizer. Good car, just dull. Nothing wrong with vanilla but some folks really like rocky road or cherry swirl.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Before the model change, Mazda is coming out with the Mazdaspeed3 which will destroy the Civic Si in every category

You are right about that, but, a major negative would be price. The Civic Si is around $20K. I don't see the MS3 being any less than $25K, but, I could be wrong. It will most likley pair up with the Subaru WRX, but, AWD is doubtfull.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Actually, It will be interesting to see if you both have to eat your words!

Time will tell we will see how the MazdaSpeed3 compares with the Civic Si!

Cruis'n,

MidCow
    Actually, It will be interesting to see if you both have to eat your words!

Boy, those word's won't taste good either!

It should perform better. It will have the 2.3L MZR DISI Turbo. HP has not been announced, though. It most likely not be as much as the MS6, which is 274. So, if it does not perform better, it will be pretty big dissapointment for Mazda.
    Yes,

But every aspect of perfromance includes saloom times, braking and handling not just pure 0-60, 5-60,50-70 and 0 to 1/4 times.

Then theres always the more intrinsic factors: mgp, maint costs, insurance costs, price, reliability.

I am just saying I personally don't consider it a slam dunk.

I was going to get a 2006 Rallye Red SI w/NAV via a special order I placed last December. When it fell through, and maybe that was just fate, I bought a new red 2006 S2000 at invoice. I am estatic, just can't wait until it is broken in.

Cheers,

MidCow
    I never said it was a slam dunk either, but, it is still 2 years away, so, everything you hear on it is purely speculation, except what engine it will get.

I like the S2000, good luck with it.
    It may not be quite as good as the Mazda 6, but it's darn close! It handles better than any other car I've driven, and that includes the Audi A4 Cabriolet I drove last November. Has more pick-up, too.
    But every aspect of perfromance includes saloom times, braking and handling not just pure 0-60, 5-60,50-70 and 0 to 1/4 times.

Well, considering the current production Mazda3 has great handleing, braking, one would think the MS3 would improve on that. But, like I said before, the car is still 2 years away.
    Aviboy97,

Good points and if your are right then both ( Mazdaspeed3 and Civic sI) will be better than just about anything else out there for the price!

Cheers,

MidCow
  • lordzeigfredlordzeigfred Member Posts: 1
    im laughing at you guys. well, i have driven both mazda 3s and civics coz my friends have them. i am asian as well as my friends here and we sometimes do random race at atco with our stock cars for fun. the civics regardless of it's engine and other specifications worth mentioning is pale compared to the mazda 3s. on the other hand the mazda 3 handles the way it was meant to be. if i have to choose one i'd go with the mazda. we are not talking about what car year ok because i had tried most of them 1995-up cause they changed cars as often, we exchanged or borrowed them like girlfriends, too. now comfortwise and all that interior stuff which really doesnt matter to me, well, both are good. but to tell you the truth, these two are just comparable if not at all to a dodge neon with the 150 hp on it. i've seen it many times the lowly neons take on these civics and now this mazdas effortlessly. i am asking the same questions as my friends cause we own these civics and mazdas and here is a neon just so effortlessly hums by. well, civics and mazda owners if you've got a chance try to provoke a neon with yours and see for yourself. i'd seen it many times. i've been thinking that comparisons are just one way of branding, right? but the real test is out there happening all the time. civics, yeah it's good and so is the mazda 3 and even the toyotas that i've driven but i havnt seen it whip a neon, well, maybe granny neon but not a funky neon. think again. hope this helps. and comparisons? compare both to a neon instead. id buy mazda 3 or 6 though, aesthetically that is, and yes, hope it runs quick, too.
  • ambullambull Member Posts: 255
    A fun comparison will be between the MS3 and the
    2007 Civic SI sedan
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    The concept was equipped with 18-inch wheels and Brembo brakes with drill brake rotors. Those features won’t be on the production Si sedan, but a version of the concept’s decklid-mounted wing will be standard. "

Great. They'll leave the stuff that's really important. ;)
  • unixxusunixxus Member Posts: 97
    Mazda will be unveiling the turbocharged Mazdaspeed 3 at the Geneva Auto show later this month. Here is the link.
    http://www.mazda.com/publicity/release/200602/0213.html
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Terrific! In two weeks the new Mazdaspeed3 gets unveiled; perhaps it'll reach the showrooms this fall!

Mazda Motor Corporation will showcase the world premiere of the new high-performance Mazda3 MPS ... at the 76th annual Geneva International Motor Show to be held from Tuesday, 28 February through Sunday, 12 March 2006.
    "The flagship of the Mazda3 range, the all-new Mazda3 MPS, will give sports-minded customers a double dose of Zoom-Zoom driving fun."
    I think this statement can be intepreted to mean that the Mazdaspeed3 will be available in both 4 and 5 door versions. I hope the Mazdaspeed3 hp is more than the standard 244hp available in the Mazda CX-7, hopefully 250+ :)
    I think this statement can be intepreted to mean that the Mazdaspeed3 will be available in both 4 and 5 door versions. I hope the Mazdaspeed3 hp is more than the standard 244hp available in the Mazda CX-7, hopefully 250+

I hope it is offered in both. IMO it would be best in the sedan. I don't see the 5-door selling all that well. Just look at the Impreza WXR wagon, not very popular.
    Also, on hp....since the rumor is no AWD, 250hp may be too much...lot's of torque steer possibly a problem. But, who knows?! I can't wait to see it!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    From the Mazda press release:
    With its compact, lightweight body and substantial power generated by its 2.3L MZR DISI TURBO petrol engine, Mazda3 MPS is one of the most powerful high-performance sports compacts with front-wheel drive (FWD) on the road today.

I support the Mazdaspeed 3 as a FWD if it avoids the weight gain of the AWD Mazdaspeed 6. This will enable it to be nimble with less HP.

My hunch is that the Mazdaspeed 3 will be :
    a) over 200 hp making it 25% more powerful than the Mazda 3;
    b) under 220hp to avoid additional parts to handle torque steer and related problems and to differentiate it from the pricier Mazdaspeed 6.

What would truly amaze is if the Mazdaspeed 3 were lighter than the Mazda 3; I doubt this will happen. Bigger engines in lighter cars, now there's an idea!
  • pedalonrightpedalonright Member Posts: 1
    All this talk about the Mazdaspeed 3 has me laughing, lets be realistic here. If history repeats itself, and everyone knows it does, the mazdaspeed is only going to be 40-50 horses more than what the regular mazda3 is now. Remember the mazdaspeed protege??? 170hp. Getting back to the initial comparison. Honda is conservative and sells to the conservative crowd. Mazda is more adventurous and less practical and sells to those consumers. But in the U.S. Honda dominates sales with the civic because of driveability,safety and fuel economy, not its handling and 0-60. My point is two cars aimed at different markets, as you can read by the review, the editor is definitely giving a review that is biased towards the performance/handling market. The Si sedan against the mazdaspeed3 should be a interesting comparison, providing the tester isn't looking for a luxurious ride, plush leather, wood grain accents.... etc.
    "All this talk about the Mazdaspeed 3 has me laughing, lets be realistic here. If history repeats itself, and everyone knows it does, the mazdaspeed is only going to be 40-50 horses more than what the regular mazda3"
    ...I guess we have to wait to see who gets the last laugh. the same direct injection engine in the Mazdaspeed6 get 278hp and a similar version in the upcoming Mazda CX-7 SUV outputs 244hp. What makes you think that engine in the mazdaspeed3 will make anything less than 200hp? If history repeats itself, and everyone knows it does, Edmunds will once again pick the Mazda over the civic. ;)
    Actually it is pretty funny about the MazdaSpeed6. They wanted to make it stealth so that police, etc. wouldn't notice. The problem is that people want to be noticed, want to be unique, want to stand out and therefore the Mazdaspped6 hasn't sold that well, too stealth and too like its slower, lower cost brethren.

Torque steer is funy. It you make the torque arms the same length you eliminate torque steer. Even so being said, when you get up to 200 horsepower an above you start begin reaching the limits of what front wheel drive can handle. Each tire and it s contact with specific road becomes critical.

There is a magical point where to further enhance perfromance and to make traction consistent a car must gow to RWD or AWD. The 1990 Ford Taurus SHO put 220 HP to the fronts wheels and went to enormus lengths to design equal length torque arms and did a very good job (Even Ford makes a good car every once in a while!). Some FWD have even gone as high as 300 hp with equal length torque arms and sticky tires. But genrally anything above 200 Hp you experience torque steer or tire scrubbing on turns with FWD above 200 Hp.

Currently driving a 237 HP RWD car,

MidCow
    What's a torque arm...... :surprise:
    Actually it is pretty funny about the MazdaSpeed6. They wanted to make it stealth so that police, etc. wouldn't notice. The problem is that people want to be noticed, want to be unique, want to stand out and therefore the Mazdaspped6 hasn't sold that well

Mazda was not aiming for the STi/EVO crowd with that car. They projected buyer is more or less going to shop Audi A4, Legacy GT and BMW 325Xi. Also, the MS6 buyer is not a compact, econobox on steriods buyer, therefor, they don't want to be noticed. People that want to be noticed are usually trying to compensate for something maybe?...if you know what I mean.... There are luxury appointments that are not available on the STi/EVO. Not to mention a much more pleasant ride, if you don't want the extremely rough ride. The MS6 has been selling well.
    All this talk about the Mazdaspeed 3 has me laughing, lets be realistic here. If history repeats itself, and everyone knows it does, the mazdaspeed is only going to be 40-50 horses more than what the regular mazda3"
    ...I guess we have to wait to see who gets the last laugh. the same direct injection engine in the Mazdaspeed6 get 278hp and a similar version in the upcoming Mazda CX-7 SUV outputs 244hp. What makes you think that engine in the mazdaspeed3 will make anything less than 200hp?

Well, actually, the Mazdaspeed 6 has 54 more horses than a regular V-6 model, like pedalonright said, the CX-7 has 43 more than the Tribute. I'd expect a nice, round 225 at most from the 3, mainly b/c torque steer would kill the "fun to drive" factor with too much power.
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    I own a 2005 Mazda 3s 5-door w/ Xenon & ABS package...
    since we dog sit right now we got the owners 2005 Honda Accord (it's a leasing, and I think it is a value edition w/o cruise, but with curtain airbags...it hast the 2.4 l engine).
    Driving, power is similar, I suppose mileage is similar too. Shifting (both MT) in my opinion is better in the Mazda (both cars have less than 10,000 miles). I suppose rear passengers have tiny bit more room in the Accord. The Accord trunk is a little bigger, but the hatchback in hte Mazda makes it roomier and more usable.
    the overall quality:
    I think the Mazda is more refined, has better clothing material. The Accord clove-compartment is ridiculous compared to the Mazda. Teh Mazda trunk has fancy cover material and has nice little plastik boxes under the floor. the Accord has a cheap trunk interior and the same cheap floor like the civic/hyundai.... whatever. In my opinion the Mazda 3 is almost comparable to VW.
    I know, this is a civic/Mazda 3 comparison. But the Accord is supposedly better than a civic, still not as good as the Mazda. I had the 2006 Civic for 30 minutes at a dealership and was little disppointed cause of the trunk interior, etc. (not to mention the speedometer..:-).
    I personally compare the Mazda 3 3 door to an Accord.... the civic is no comparison when you look closer.
    when I buy a Mazda 3 5 door grand touring I get Xenon, leather.... everything for a couple of grand less than an Accord EX or EX-L(which doesn't even offer Xenon light).
    Back to the civic:
    Maybe economywise the civic is slightly better when you buy a civic LX (than I'd compare it to a Mazda 3i touring) and ignore the higher price.... but the Mazda still is nicer (definitely better looking) and drives better (the civic LX still has rear brake drums etc..).
    Mileage difference doesn't justify the higher price (unless you drive 50,000 miles a year :-)
    i personally pay 2$ a week at the gas station more, but love my car..... My wife and i get comments on parking lots from strangers what nice car we have. did a civic owner ever get that? Everytime i drive my car I don't care about the payment anymore.... and that is priceless.
    A car you love you keep for many years. with the money you save by not having to sell you car you can buy a nicer car and love it...
    In my opinion the Mazda 3 is almost comparable to VW.

Let's hop not. Have you heard of VW's troubles lately?

Maybe economywise the civic is slightly better when you buy a civic LX (than I'd compare it to a Mazda 3i touring) and ignore the higher price....

This proves how little you know about what you are comparing. The mileage does not change on Civic's different trim levels. Only on transmissions (in which both blow Mazda out of the Water (show me a 40 mpg Mazda).

I think the Mazda is more refined, has better clothing material.

OH, that's a good one (ROFL).

In all seriousness, you are entitled to your opinion, as much so as I am mine. The Accord is a common benchmark in interior finishing, with precise movements, and a feeling of everything being like a "well-oiled machine."

I suppose rear passengers have tiny bit more room in the Accord.

How about a lot more. It's actually enough to put it in a whole different class from the Mazda. I don't suppose the Mazda is an EPA midsize, is it?

the Mazda still is nicer (definitely better looking)

Wow; who made you Mister subjective? The Mazda is nice looking if you like a flat, unstyled rear and a bulbous nose. It is also nicer if you like a louder engine and rougher ride. I think "Sportier" is a more appropriate word, and I will never say the Civic (except Si of course) is more sporty than a 3.

I suppose Mazda offers several options not offered on Civic; but in the same respect, I'm still waiting on a Hybrid 3. How about a coupe model? How about anything over 30 mpg in town? Nothing? Ok. Write back next year when you have the Mazdaspeed 3, then we'll have something to talk about.

PS: Whose 3-door Mazda did you drive? I've never seen one.
    Torque arm is a phiscs principle. It is measured in foot pounds or newtown metere.

Think of a yardstick with you hand at the 3 ft mark pressing 10 pounds of force. The torque arm is the 10 lbs multipled by the 3 ft of 30 ft.lbs. Now lessen the leverage distance to 2 feet and the apply the same 10 lbs. Then you have 20 ft lbs.

Now envision a car that pushes a force of 10 lbs on each front drive wheel. If both wheels are 3 ft apart then the torquearm on each wheel is the same 30 ft lbs. But what if the distance on one side wwere only 2.5 feet theneyou would have unbalance torque and it would favor the 3 ft side.

Cheers.

MidCow.

P.S. -Jusat dropped the stock exhuast. Will Install Invidia tomorrow.
    Well, actually, the Mazdaspeed 6 has 54 more horses than a regular V-6 model, like pedalonright said, the CX-7 has 43 more than the Tribute. I'd expect a nice, round 225 at most from the 3, mainly b/c torque steer would kill the "fun to drive" factor with too much power.

Pedalonright seems to imply that Mazda was incapable of producing anything that has more the 40-50hp than the regular model. The CX-7 is not related nor meant to replace the Tribute, and puts 244hp to the front wheels. if torque steering was not an issue for Mazda in the CX-7, I doubt it will be for the Mazdaspeed3 with a similar hp. Correct me if I am wrong, I dont think torque steering is related to the weight of the vehicle.
    by comparing it to VW I meant the interior, the overall quality (not reliability, of course :-)
    I used the civic LX as an example because it has similar equippment like the Mazda 3i touring (but civic LX still has no rear discs... that much about safety for all :-)
    of course the trim level doesn't affect mileage (except little weight). By economywise I also include the price (which you have to pay like you have to pay for gas etc.).
    the 3i touring is 1000$ less than a Civic LX. with 1000$ i can pay for the MPG difference for a while (Civic: 30/38 MPG, Mazda 3i: 28/35 MPG)
    the Accord I drove (maybe it's a value edition) shows pure metal in the trunk.. my Mazda (which is a 5 door... sorry about the 3-door typo) has all metal covered with clothing material, which is far better and doesn't wibble around like in the Accord (again, it might be a value edition with cheapier interior..)
    By no means I say the Accord is bad... if you want a big Sedan, it might be your car.... but I compare cars for their usable space (sorry, the hatchback is priceless, even with 2 cft less than the Accord), driving is comparable and mileage should be comparable too (don't fight over 2 gallons/year)
    i agree.. the Accord has more room in the back... I (6ft)can sit comfortably in the Mazda in the back behind the driver seat that is set for me... if you have 7 ft guys in the back you needed an Accord
    the Mazda3 engine is not louder, nor does it vibrate, I suppose honda doesn't offer a balance shaft... Mazda has one... there is not more noise than in the Accord.
    all the comparison.... of course, the Accord will be a little better (since bigger) but also way more expensive.
    my point is, the Mazda 3 is way better than the Civic, close to the Accord (depends on what you are looking for) and will be little less economical than the civic. you get better brakes (2006 ones even have brake assist), more room, way more power (also below 2000 rpm :-), larger wheels...can have xenon, heated seats, leather... of course that all will make a car less economical at some point.... but not much

about the hybrid... maybe there will be a hybrid Mazda when it actually pays to have one. the Accord hybrid (at least the 2005 ones) have 6-cylinder engines and get almost the same mileage like the 4 cylinder non-hybrids..... so you basically pay 5000$ to have the hybrid sticker, a clear conscience and future expenxive repairs... and barely save any money on gas... why would Mazda jump on that wagon?
    I do like to see a car in the near future that needs less gas AND gives me zoom zoom driving..... but it has to be economical (which includes the price of the car and depreciation and unknown repairs)
    anc, can you actually buy a Honda hybrid without being on a wait list and paying more than MSRP?
    Ok, after reading through this, i don't think we are that far apart in our mindsets. Here are a few things I'd add.

First of all, that Accord you tested was likely cheaper than the Mazda 3 when optioned as you say (A Value Package Accord is about $18.2k).

I have the drum brakes on my 1996 Accord (LX/no ABS) have lasted 157,000 miles (still have life in them)(the discs on the front lasted 130k), and will lock up on dry pavement under a panic stop. I'm not sure what more you would get with rear discs than drums other than less brake fade (reduced braking power after numerous panic stops).

The hatchback is a bonus which I wish the Civic would bring back, but as far as interior room goes (I'm 6'5"), the Accord def wins out (I have a sunroof in my EX and I don't hit the ceiling).

Also, you mention the noiser Accord...the refreshed Accords are much quieter than the 03-04 models. What year is the Accord you drove? I'd be interested to know.

the Accord hybrid (at least the 2005 ones) have 6-cylinder engines and get almost the same mileage like the 4 cylinder non-hybrids

You fail to mention its horsepower is nearly 100 more while achieving better mileage than the 3 or Accord I-4.

As far as the Hybrid goes, I was referring to the Civic (since it is a Civic forum), but since you mention the Accord, the Hybrid Accord, when tested by the EPA standards, achieved better numbers than the Mazda 3S, or Accord I-4, all while delivering about 260 hp (on the old standard, same as Mazda SAE tests.) Yes, it costs more, which is why I was hoping to refer to the Civic Hybrid. Mazda only jumps on the Hybrid wagon when "mama Ford" tells it to; i.e. Tribute hybrid (shares w/ the Escape/Mariner).

I think we need to drop the Accord out of the discussion about now; its not really relevant to most people shopping the Mazda 3/ Honda Civic, and we owe it to them to get back to facts and opinions about those cars.

Thanks for the little "mini-debate" though, herrkaleu, as I'm glad to see some people that can debate ideas and not make it personal, as so many tend to do.

thegrad
    (in which both blow Mazda out of the Water (show me a 40 mpg Mazda).

Last I saw the Civic gets 38mpg. and the 3 "i" get's 35mpg. I don't think that constitutes "blowing the Mazda3 out of the water"

Wow; who made you Mister subjective? The Mazda is nice looking if you like a flat, unstyled rear and a bulbous nose.

I really don't see much more in rear styling of the Civic, or the Saturn-like front end.

I suppose Mazda offers several options not offered on Civic; but in the same respect, I'm still waiting on a Hybrid 3. How about a coupe model? How about anything over 30 mpg in town? Nothing? Ok. Write back next year when you have the Mazdaspeed 3, then we'll have something to talk about.

Well, Mazda3 is available in a 5-door, and the Civic is not. I also believe there is a 3 coupe (Mazda Axcela?) in Europe, unfortunalty not here :( . I don't think we will see a 3 Hybrid anytime soon...that sucks too.

PS: Whose 3-door Mazda did you drive? I've never seen one.

Mazda used to make the MX-3. Which was a 2 door hatch based off the 323. If Mazda were to make a Mazda3 coupe again, it will be called the MX-3, again. "MX" stands for 2 door piston engine cars built by Mazda. "RX" refers to rotary powered. "CX" refers to crossover vehicles, and "MAZDA+#" is a piston driven sedan.
    Check the numbers, the Automatic Civic gets 40mpg on the highway. 5 mpg in the economy class is a good bit, IMO. Plus, if you are touting the superior powered 3s (as many do when trying to bash the Civic as being underpowered), the deficit drops to a whopping 9 miles to the gallon. The Civic will give you an extra ninety miles for every 10 gallon fillup. To me, that's four round trips to school (because I drive on the interstate most of the trip).

I know about the past Mazda coupes, MX-3, MX-6 (Ford Probe) and the like. I meant current automobiles. The Civic has a 5-door in Europe, so I'd call it a wash if you are comparing Euro models too.
    I don't need a history of the Mazda, btw. I have had a subscription of Road and Track, Motor Trend, and/or Car and Driver for ten years. I know a few things about cars, Mazdas and others.
    I decided to do a comparo between the Mazda3 i Touring and the Honda Civic Hybrid.

To packaged both out to be as similar as possible. I did the Mazda3 i Touring with an automatic transmission, 6CD/moon roof package, ABS/SAB/SAC package and wheel locks. Price with destination was $18,775
    The Honda Civic Hybrid was packaged with an automatic transmission (I think thats standard), and the 8 CD package and wheel locks. Price including destination was $23,023.

Now, without adding state sales tax, or motor vehicle fees, or dealer fees the the difference in price from MSRP to MSRP is $4,248. If I take that number, I can buy, according to todays gas price of $2.28/gallon, 1863 gallons of gas to equal the price of the Honda Civic Hybrid. That 1863 gallons of gas will get me 63,342 miles on the Mazda3 i Touring on the highway. If I were to go around town it would be 48,438. I do a combo of both, so I made a median number of 55,890 miles.

I drive close to 12k miles a year. I would get little over 4 1/2 years of driving the Mazda3 to equal the initial cost of the Honda Civic Hybrid.

Not calculated was owner maintenance, oil changes, tire replacement, and any other necessary owner maintenance, or fuel consumption of the hybrid in that 4 1/2 years. Also not calculated was the inflation price of gasoline over the next 4 1/2 years, for I have no way of knowing that.

This is just my perspective of how a hybrid would not be a really good decision if I were considering these two vehicles.

I am neither a Honda Civic owner, nor a Mazda3 owner.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No surprise here. I don't think a hybrid can make financial sense for anyone driving only 12k miles a year, if they would buy a compact car instead of the hybrid.
    I don't know of anyone saying it was VERY cost effective to buy a hybrid, but for those who drive their Hondas forever (like me), it would make a difference over the years.

The majority of this forum is probably interested in comparing the 4-door conventional versions of the cars, though, since that's the only models they have in common. A Civic hybrid would be better compared to a Prius, and a 3 5-Door is best compared with a Toyota Matrix, etc...

Thanks for some interesting info on the subject, though.
    oh, I def. agree. A more accurate comparo would be the Prius Vs the Civic Hybrid. I personally do not like the Prius, I would buy the Civic instead. I was just doing some research on the topic, because some people may shop the two. My initial thinking was that it would not be that different, but it was.
    I personally would not buy a hybrid, but, what I really like about Honda is that they incorporated it into one of their best sellers, instead of creating a whole new vehicle, like Toyota did with the Prius. Toyota then followed suit with Highlander Hybrid, and soon to be Camry Hybrid.
    Another thing about the Civic Hybrid, what's up with the funny wheels? Was there an issue using the wheels from the LX or EX?
    The Accord I'm talking about actually is an LX (at least that's what it says at the back..). It is the current model w/o Alloy wheels, no CD changer.. don't know the exact age... it has about 9000 miles, so it can't be that old. So I guess ist was way more expensive than our Mazda 3 5-door (which we bought including Wisconsin 5.5 sales tax, title, fees, moonroof/6 CD-changer, Xenon, tire pressure monitor, 17" alloy wheels, ABS/SAB package.... for 20100 $.. does Honda even offer Xenon and TPMS?)
    By the way, the rear window antenna is bad.. even outside the reception sometimes is bad. The "real" antenna on the Mazda even allows decent radio in our armored concrete uderground parking.....
    I didn't mean to say the Accord is noisy (since the engine cruises and accelerates well at 15000 rpm.... nice job), but someone said the mazda would be... which is wrong. both engines are fine. I suppose I'd love either one in either car.
    Still, if you love big sedans, the accord is fine..
    Let's drop the Accord... it was just an idea of me to compare the Mazda (and it reaches in that class of cars...somehow).
    Since we look for a second car, I'd consider a Civic (that's why I test drove one) I could live with the higer price and the design (though I don't love it). Since we have the Mazda 5-door our secondary car can be a sedan (we need at least one car that can carry something bulky). The overall quality and economy would make me get one.... but, do I want to look at a speedometer that looks like "back to the future"? That is so GM in hte 90's (even GM dropped that)
    (for the same reason I never buy a Toyota Yaris with Speedometer in the center....)
    I know it is taste and subjective.... but still ugly to me and my wife.
    As far as the hybrid goes, as long as they still use batteries that age, lose efficience and capacity, you will have expensive repairs and lose mileage over time.
    The fact that Mazda needs more fuel is more related to the more powerful engine than to the efficency of the enginge. I wish Mazda offered their smaller engines in the US (like the 1.6 l in Europe etc...) or the 2.0 l in the 5-door (which still would enable me to zoom zoom....:-). A better Gear adjustement for the 5th gear could improve highway economy by 2-3 miles easily w/o altering the engine.
    So, technically they have the ability to compete w/ Honda mileagewise, but don't do so (which is more the fault of the American public that wants more power than economy...)
    anyway, both are great cars, depending on what you are looking for... as long as you stick to Toyota, Honda, Mazda.... you are not too wrong and won't regret buying them (if you decided what you are looking for in a car)
    We personally wanted a hatchback, and the Mazda is cheaper than the Matrix, better (no dead spots!) and way less expensive than any other hatchback (which mostly is a SUV etc.) Wish Toyota and Honda would bring over their civic Hatchbacks, Corolla Hatchback and Wagon... then I might "cheat on" Mazda.... but not for a sedan :-)
    And having a car that we love, and intend to keep for years... for that I give up some gallons of gas. We keep the car till it dies.. that saves us more money than just some gas. Again, if Honda ever drops the digital speedometer, or/and brings the hatchback we might change our minds.....
    By the way: I also considered Corallas... but they are not available w/ ABS or side airbags (not in reality.. only on special order... that tells you what Toyota thinks of safety :-)
    hope honda's safety for everyone forces everyone else to offer safety...
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    There is one thing the Mazda3 doesn't offer that the Accord has, a 244hp V6 engine! :shades: Oh, and space, comfort etc.

Just went to the auto show. Looked at two of these cars very closely. I felt more comfortable in the Civic, especially in the back seat. The leg room in the Mazda's rear seat was quite tight. The front seats were also less comfortable IMO. I really like the 3's styling both inside and out. I like the Civic's styling, but the front is still a little odd. The interior is also still odd, but I've grown to like it.
    I'm not going to take that conversation on the Accord any further...I just wanted to say that I wish my Accord accelerated to 15,000 rpms like the one you drove!

I'm just kidding, I know it was a typo. :-)

But seriously, my gf bought (her parents did,actually) a Corolla w/SAB and ABS right off of the lot.

As far as the strange wheels on the Hybrid (vs. LX or EX) go, they are very aerodynamic, and much lighter than steel or alloy wheels on LX and EX Civics.
    Thanks for the info on the hybrid wheels...I guess that makes sense. Those hybrid buyers (not all) are usually into weird things, such as those funny looking wheels.
    Yeah...driving a hybrid is buying a car for it's "statement", although less so with a Civic since it generally blends in with the other Civic models. The Prius is a better example of making the "green" statement.
    Then the Insight must be a really green statment! ;)
    The insight must be a REALLY green statement...

Liiiime Greeen!
    where did you get a Corolla w/ ABS/Airbags? Here in wisconsin (people drive like insane, and we have winter..) for some reason toyota doesn't seem to consider it important...
    Salesman told me, that people are afraid of explosives in the car and ABS is overrated :-)
    Wish I could buy a car jsut in the Internet.....
    I mainly only consider cars like honda (ABS/airbags standard), Mazda (not standard, but models w/ ABS/airbags are actually on the lot in large numbers)..... I heard of the new Nissan vErsa, which is supposed to have that standard too..
    Anyway, toyota seems to be bad.... Scion barely gives you airbags (ABS standard, though), the new Yaris doesn't get Airbags at all 9except for the front ones)..... somehow toyota gets more into the Kia/chevrolet niche regarding to safety available...
    Well, it wasn't MY purchase, but my girlfriend's. She bought it at a local dealership to her (at the time she lived in Montgomery, AL. It wasn't a problem to get for her. Maybe it's just a regional thing? BTW, her Corolla is a silver 2004 LE Auto, cloth, CD/TAPE player, and wood trim. I believe she said it was between $17k and 18k.

She now has 18k miles on it, with a few problems. The warped steering column and a loose ignition cylinder (key wiggles around a lot in its housing). I'm not convinced that the column wasn't of her own doing (jumping a curb maybe, she's not the best driver!), but the dealership said it wouldn't be. Whatever, it just means that they are picking up the cost of it!