Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Civic vs Mazda3

Comments

• z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I am not sure how you would be better off if you leased a lemon car VS buy it. If your leased lemon car will not start - or needs to go in for warranty work every month you still need to find a way to get to work.

A lease can even be MORE difficult to get out from under (compared to a loan). By more difficult I mean more expensive - early termination fees/penalties - at a minimum - some leasing companies will just say no early terminations - all payments must be made. Plus lets not forget that MOST of the time a lease will cost more than a loan.

Find a dealership that offers a free rental car if your car is in the shop FOR ANY REASON.

The bottom line is - You pay your money - you take your chances -
  • waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Does this indecision extend to other phases of your life? Some risk is inherent; it is part of the adventure. Most of the things you read here are anecdotal; take it for what it is worth. I really don't care if you buy the same car I like. If it gets too popular there will be no individuality in owning one, and prices will go up. I just know that after 31,000 miles, I have no regrets.
  • mongoose65mongoose65 Member Posts: 31
    Excellent points, Z. Leasing companies are notoriously IN-flexible!! Mazda has a deal with Enterprise and offers free rentals a well as free roadside assistance. I know they don't want to come up with money out of their own pocket so to me it is a small sign of faith in their own cars' reliabiltity. So far my 3 runs great, looks great and the mileage is doing as well as I expected.

Some of the posts here are so outrageous. "Get better like VW?!?!" VW has gone so far down in recent years it makes people's head spin! Mexican made VW's have been problematic and it's well documented. In all fairness, so have Mazda 6's since Mexican production started. So have the Hondas since American production.

To the original poster, everyone gets anxiety at buying a new car (unless you've got crazy money). Once again, the civic and mazda3 are both GREAT cars. Lemons happen, they are complicated machines. Get the one you like best and expect problems may occur. Beamers, Lexus' and Mercedes break down too. If you really want reliability above all else, get a 1965 Dodge Dart with a slant 6 engine and AM radio!
  • ncgullncgull Member Posts: 13
    Not when it comes to telling you where to get off. That's an easy decision.
    I don't have the money to put down for a lease. What is it -- $2k or something? HAH!

Sorry I wore my heart on my sleeve to your hardballs...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    let's not get personal here, please.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Excellent points, Backy.

It is not unusual in a forum to hear competing views. If some feel strongly about an issue it may sound as if this were the opinion of all. But as we see here, there are others with different experiences. One opinion does not negate another.

Before making a decision I try to find out as much as I can by reading forums, consulting published comparisons, talking to colleagues and doing my own "testing". After four years, I'm still happy with my decision.
  • cticti Member Posts: 131
    You don't have to put money down on a lease. A security deposit should be all you need. Typically the money down on a lease is so that the vehicle can be advertised for a certain amount per month.

If you don't have 2K to put as a down payment on a lease, you probably shouldn't be buying (or leasing)a new car. Now, I'm not saying you HAVE to have a down payment - maybe the interest rate is ridiculously low - but you should at least have the money.

The Civic and 3 are definitely the best compacts out there. I went with a 3 hatch over the Civic because it was fun to drive, had 5 doors, and came with more features that the Civic didn't offer. It's been 15 months and I still smile every time I get into it.

I have a 2000 Kia Sephia that I haven't driven in a year. I took it to the repair shop to get fixed before I sell it. What a piece of junk - and that was AFTER it was fixed.
  • richmlrichml Member Posts: 156
    More posts at various Mazda forums.

Yes - discussion of AC on the "other" forum is even more dominated by the same select group of posters with weak AC who post here. Seems like you're referencing your own posts.

Have you thought of trading your 3 in for a vehicle that is in no way associated with Ford? I know z71bill said he was looking at Hondas awhile back.
  • ex_tdierex_tdier Member Posts: 277
    Seems like you're affiliated with Mazda indirectly or directly. Either that, or your're in denial. :lemon:
    Not affiliated in the least - just a satisfied 3 owner who has received good support from service departments for the five Mazdas we've owned. FYI, we've also owned various GM and VW vehicles.

I don't know what it's like in western Canada, but I've been to various locations in Quebec several times in the last couple of years, and the streets are swarming with 3s and Pro 5s. Mazda apparently has a much larger market share in Canada than in the states. I'd think it would be fairly easy to sell your 3 and then get a Honda or non-Ford North American vehicle.
    I've been to various locations in Quebec several times in the last couple of years, and the streets are swarming with 3s and Pro 5s

You're absolutely right. The same is true for neighbouring Ontario where many a Mazda roams the highways and biways. If I'm not mistaken, the Mazda3 and the Protege have been in the Canadian top 10 for quite a long time.

p.s. the "zoom zoom" tag line gets translated in Quebec to "vroum vroum" :)
    richml - Glad you have had good LUCK with Mazda - but do you really believe - if you would have been one of the UNLUCKY people who bought a Mazda3 with a defective AC system that Mazda would have fixed your car?

I think Mazda would have told you the exact same thing that they told me (and thousands of others) - sorry we will not do anything because - its operating as designed.

Now use your imagination a little - would your "Mazda provides good service" tune change a little then? I think it would.

It is true I am looking at a Honda Accord coupe - its for my wife - the Mazda3 has been taken over by my 17 year old daughter - which is the reason we bought it in the first place. When I was 17 my car did not even have AC (69 Chevelle SS 396) and it did not bother me one little bit - I expect that most 17 year olds would gladly accept a 2 year old Mazda3 (even one with a weak AC) as their first car. Sure beats walking.
    bill - I'd be very unhappy if the AC wasn't fixed. I own an '05 MT 5-door. I don't know if I have the insert plate that Mazda came out with, I know I don't have the air filter. I think the broad expanse of untinted glass combined with the black interior has to affect AC efficiency.

I note that Meade has abandoned participating in the forum. It annoys me that my near 25 years of Mazda ownership and service experience doesn't seem to count when someone with their first Mazda isn't happy with the air blowing from the vents. Some of the sweeping statements and assumptions are over the top.

My first car was a '64 Chevelle, three speed on the column - inherited from my grandfather in '74 with only 9,000 miles on it! It was garage kept, I don't think anyone had ever sat (on the thick seat covers) in the back seat. People used to leave notes under the wipers asking to buy it. It also came without AC - didn't even have a side-view mirror or a radio.

When I started dating my wife she owned a 4-cylinder AT Firebird - couldn't believe that such a vehicle existed. It was so underpowered that you had to turn the AC off when you were paying a toll, otherwise it would stall.

My father has owned several Accords - he swears by them. They are nice cars, just not what I was looking for.
  • gbw1gbw1 Member Posts: 6
    Is the mazda3 engine made by mazda or by ford? I know they are intertwined corporations, yet I've heard the mazda3 engine is made by the mazda and the mazda6 engine is made by ford.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    get a manual shift Corolla CE
    the mazda3 engine is made by the mazda and the mazda6 engine is made by ford.
    Correct.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I sure hope you are kidding, if not, i'm really confused, because they are the same (2.3L, 160 hp I-4) engine!
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    C'mon..I-4 engine is the same Mazda engine.
    V6 is Ford's, greatly improved by Mazda adding VVT
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I sure hope you are kidding, if not, i'm really confused, because they are the same (2.3L, 160 hp I-4) engine!

No, they are not the same engine. They share most of the same components, the top half of the engine is exactly the same. They have different intake systems,(VIS), I believe, which is a Ford Design in the Mazda6. The Mazda6 also has 155 Ft. Lbs. of Torque as opposed to 150 in the Mazda3. There are a few more details as well. I'm not a tech, but I will find out.

The MZR 2.3 built in Hofu Japan goes into the Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazdaspeed6 (turbo), CX-7 (turbo). The MZR 2.3 in the Mazda6 is built in Mexico. The MZR 2.3 in the Mazda6 is a Mazda design, but, engine production is over seen by Ford. Same goes for the 2.3 in the Tribute, B Series, Escape, Focus, Ranger,and Fusion. It's basically a quality control difference.
    The Mazda3 engine is all Japanese. Designed by the Japanese, built by the Japanese.
    I think it's safe to say that the Japanese designed and built engines will be more or less fine as far reliability goes. However, there is more to the car than just the engine: sensors, climate control, brakes, suspension, transmission, electrics, the body, and everything else in between. Many components are contracted or subcontracted out and this is where quality, quality control, and reliability come to play.

And of course, let's not forget customer service. You have to decide who you wish to believe and which car you want. In the end, you're the one deciding and have to live with the decision.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Thank you, i had been misinformed back at a car show a couple years ago by a Mazda sales rep (back when I was really interested in a Mazda 6), so pardon my implied ignorance. I did not know those facts...

Thanks for correcting me with everyone's (seemingly) infinite wisdom!
    You're welcome.

I know this is not a Mazda6 thread, but, the Mazda6 MZR 2.3 IS a Mazda engine, just not identical to the Mazda3 MZR 2.3
  • atsang1atsang1 Member Posts: 15
    I test drove both 3 and 6, the 2.3 engine felt more punchy and powerful, on the other hand, the 2.3 engine felt sluggish (both are automatic). I know 6 is a bit heavier, but the engine definitely doesn't have the liveliness feel of the 3's engine, at least with auto transmission.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    richml - Glad you have had good LUCK with Mazda - but do you really believe - if you would have been one of the UNLUCKY people who bought a Mazda3 with a defective AC system that Mazda would have fixed your car?

I think Mazda would have told you the exact same thing that they told me (and thousands of others) - sorry we will not do anything because - its operating as designed.

Now use your imagination a little - would your "Mazda provides good service" tune change a little then? I think it would. "

Why don't you use the same logic and put yourselves in the shoes of the vast majority of 3 owners that have had little or no issues at all? Would your tune change? Or do you only like sad songs? ;)
  • juniorswajuniorswa Member Posts: 3
    Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I completely understand what the nervous buyer is going through, because I felt the same way. I own a '99 Mazda that I bought USED in 2001. I was totally freaked about buying a Mazda because I had only owned Toyotas and Hondas up until that point, but I fell in love with the HANDLING of the Mazda during a test drive while looking for a new used car. Would the car hold up? How good was Mazda quality? What about the dealership service? To make matters worse, my Mom said that any car would be okay to buy, except Mazdas, because apparently her parents had a bad experience with rotary engines in the 70's!?! Well, I did what any good 25 year old would do, totally ignoring my Mom's advice and following my heart. I bought the Mazda and I still own it today. It is more reliable than the last car I owned for 8 years, a Toyota, and people still ask me if my car is brand new! The delaership is excellent, with free car washes and rental cars while your car is being serviced. Oil changes are $20, with free tire rotation, within 30 minutes or the service is free. Been to a Toyota dealer lately? They're horrid in comparison! My car has had no problems, runs like brand new, and is a joy for me to drive everyday! Mazda never really crossed my mind until the dealer I bought the car from practically forced me to drive the thing when I was hunting for a car in 2001. Mazda has been a better car for me by far than my last Toyota. Everybody has a different experience, and ALL manufacturers produce a few lemons, so there's no point in saying a certain manufacturer never makes mistakes. (Exhibit A: Numerous Toyota and Honda recalls lately.) Go with your gut and buy what you like. I would not hesitate ever again to buy a Mazda. It's been great for me!
    What a foolish way to look at the situation!

Mazda will not fix the cars that have an obvious defect - how can you possible see that as a good thing? Wouldn't you feel better about buying a Mazda is EVERYONE with a weak AC had their car fixed?

The expectation when someone buys a new car is - if it develops a problem the company that manufactured it will stand behind it and fix it. Anything less is a PROBLEM.

Right?

Even if only 10 people have AC systems that do not work Mazda should still fix them - Right?

Or do you think that as long as only a small % of cars have a problem its ok to just ignore it?

In your opinion how many cars need to be defective (1% 5% 10% 25%)before Mazda should fix the problem?
  • juniorswajuniorswa Member Posts: 3
    Here's a simple solution to the guy with the A/C problem. Take your car to the dealer and tell them that the A/C isn't keeping you cold enough. If he says that it is normal or working the way it is supposed to, then ask him to test drive a brand new Mazda3 with the A/C on. If the A/C in the new car on the test drive is the same, then that's just the way it operates. If the new car has much colder A/C, then there should no longer be any argument about whether or not the A/C in your car is working properly or not. The dealer could not possibly argue with you about it, and your car must be fixed under the warranty. Simple solution. If you want to hear about bad ownership experiences, try blown head gaskets, cylinder shut downs, and oil burning engines from the "legendary" Toyota that I owned. It was legendary alright. A legendary P.O.S.!!! Those are real issues. Such as your car not starting when you turn the key. My Toyota experience totally turned me off from ever owning another Toyota in my lifetime. The dealer/manufacturer did not stand by their product at all. Was it a fluke based on others experiences with Toyotas? Probably. But, just goes to show everybody makes a lemon every now and then.
    Bill, at the risk of reviving your long-gone discussions with Meade, it seems to me that owners with issues are much more likely to post to the forum than people who don't have substantive problems. At least in your many posts, you've outlined the extensive trouble-shooting that you've done to solve the problem - much better than some who post "Mazda sucks" and insert the lemon icon. They've got a problem, Mazda sucks, and any happy owners are fools - right!
    I think you and the other two or three posters who dominate AC discussions on this and the "other" Mazda3 forum would be much better served by directing your comments to Mazda North America, and whatever the Canadian counterpart is. If you compiled the massive number of posts to the forums that you and the couple of other AC-challenged posters have made, and sent then with a cover letter to Mazda, they might see that they are reaping poor PR by not addressing the problems of a few owners who have recurring AC problems.
    All of the posts to this forum have pretty much exhausted the topic, with no resolution in sight. Why not send it all to Mazda and see if they respond? I think it is worth a try. Maybe some of the Mazda associated posters to the Mazda3 and CX-7 forums could give you the name of someone who might try to resolve the issue? Everybody would like to see your problems resolved.
    I've been in the heat of Texarkana all week with a rented Corolla - the AC could be better.
    I just got home from two test drives - the Scion Tc & the Cicic EX coupe. Both were ok but I like the way the Mazda3 drives.

I will say that the AC in the Civic is fantastic - after only a few BLOCKS I had to turn the fan speed way down to low.

In "normal" driving whatever that means - the Civic does fine - speed and handling are good - when you mash the gas pedal or take a fast corner is when the Civic shows its weakness.

I would have one in my driveway right now - but no Atomic blue EX - automatic with nav to be found anywhere in Texas. If I ordered one today it would be here in late October - the 2007's come out in November (per the sales person).

Mazda has a standard for AC vent temp - the high side is 52 degrees - put my car in the shade (like inside a dealership shop) and guess what temp I have coming out of my vents?

Look at it this way - if some of you are tired of READING my posts about defective AC (which you could just skip over) think how bad it would be if you had my AC problems.
    And so I reply to my own post by saying: PROBLEM SOLVED. I am the proud owner of a Mazda6. I LOVE IT. After driving both the Honda Civic (too much fluff!) and the Mazda3 (ride a bit rough for me and the dealer sales idiot was a JERK), I moved on to an '05 6. It seems the perfect car for me.

Thanks to everyone who offered positive support.
    :)
    The Mazda3 "i" will be getting clear "euro" tail lights while the "s" model get's LED's. Also, dynamic stability control with traction control will be available for the "s" model.

Does anyone know if the Civic will be including this feature for 2007?
  • mongoose65mongoose65 Member Posts: 31
    That argument is pretty daft. I bought the Mazda3 and so far I love it. The AC pretty much stinks. Definitely not powerful enough. However, I really did not check the AC well when I test drove it (twice). It blew cold so it seemed OK. This is the only fault with the car and it was my responsibility to check it BEFORE I bought it. It is not a defect, just a bad design.

If I bought expensive Bose home speakers and decided I wasn't crazy about the sound at home, it would be pretty foolish of me to expect Bose to re-design them for me and the entire marketplace. It's not the best analogy since I could (maybe) return the speakers, but the idea is the same. Due dilligence is the responsibility of the consumer. So far, my Mazda3 is a fantastic car. The AC is a little weak, I'll admit, but it's still a fine car with MANY positive attributes I also did not get from the initial test drive. It handles and drives BETTER than my initial impressions.

Note: Someone told me there is a way to speed up the AC blower motor (on cars in general) to get a bit more power. Does anyone know about this or is it just some urban legend?
    I will attest to the fact that even though we do differ on many topics related to the Mazda3, including customer service and reliability, you have posted many positive attributes to the Mazda3. All of your posts are not negative, as some here think.
    So if during your test drive it is not raining so you don't check to see if the wipers work - and then after you buy the car find out that they do not work - that is just your own fault for not checking them during the test drive? - and you call me stupid?

If something on a new car does not work then the manufacturer should fix it. That is why many people buy new cars - so they will have a smaller chance of having a problem PLUS when a problem does come up it should be fixed under warranty.

Do you have this low of standards on everything - or is it just on the cars you buy?

When I bought the Mazda3 the AC worked fine - it was in January of 2004 and I would guess the temp was somewhere between 70 and 75 degrees - I don't recall exactly. My AC starts to show its weakness around 85 degrees - by 95 its very poor - If I am stuck in traffic on a bright and sunny 95 degree day I just turn the AC off and roll down the windows. This - IMO means the system is defective. Any new car should have an AC system that will cool off the car - even if the temp is 100+ degrees.

Your fan speed question -

I find that my AC cools best on fan speed 3. So speeding up the fan would not do anything to help me. At speed level 4 the air is not as cold - the extra volume of air does not make up for the air temp increase.

Even though I have had many problems with my car I still like the way it drives - I was close to dumping it a few times - but just could not find anything else that I wanted - unless I spent over $30K - I was also held back because my daughter really likes the Mazda3 - and she is taking it over as her car. I was told (as a joke) that I can still drive it once in a while - like to the gas station!

The good new is I am shopping for a new car for my wife - the Mazda3 has been so much fun to drive she will not go back to her SUV - the bad news is we can't decide what car to buy.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The wife has a 3s sedan and it's a blast to drive...the 2.3 engine really zoom zooms! Feels like a amusement park ride actually, but she likes power when she needs it & the mileage compromise was acceptable to her. I personally am happy with the higher mileage figures with my Civic. But I'm lucky also, I can drive her 3 when she lets me, which is enough exhilleration for me.

The Sandman :)
  • slateracslaterac Member Posts: 85
    Sandman,

Which car do you think is better? I get .3 inches more legroom in the civic and I think I might need that but I was just wondering which one you liked better. Besides the fact that the gas mileage is 30/40 on the civic and 26/34 on the mazda3 i touring. The mazda is also 2000 or more less with the options that i would like. (I'd like the nav for the civic but can't get that on the mazda). Thanks for all your help.

slaterac.

ps. thanks for inviting me host pat.
  • 2006civiclx2006civiclx Member Posts: 13
    Dear slaterac,

When to buy?.

Here is my answer:

(A) If you can not wait and love to play with your
    new Toy, do it now, life is way toooo short to wait
    for our toy(s)!.

(B) If you can wait then buy it or for sure put down
    the deposit and sign the order paperwork on July 07, 2007.
    As you can see, you will be the lucky few that has the
    "777" Civic!. This only come once in a long long time!
    And if you can timing it exactly right, sign the paper
    at 7:00PM (Dealership do not open at 7:00AM), then you
    will be the very very lucky few to get the "7777" Civic,
    Then take a well deserve trip to Vegas, Have fun with
    your Civic hunting!

For my case, I select the "A" answer and got mine in May 6,
    2006. I told the salesman that I would like to close the
    deal in June 06, 2006 and he looks at me kind of lost!
    I explained to him that since I am an engineer, I love a
    great set of numbers for example "36-22-36 or Perfect 10,
    etc.".

Cheer :)

2006civiclx
    I like your thinking 2006civiclx. My questions now revolve around the mazda3 i touring or the honda civic ex at nav. The difference is about $2000 but the civic gets better mpg. I will try and test drive them both in the same day and see which one I am more comfortable in. I've read that there are tall people, like me, that fit fine in a civic and that could be the deciding factor since the mazda3 has less leg room, by .7 inches.

slaterac.
  • 2006civiclx2006civiclx Member Posts: 13
    Dear slaterac,

Your choice of 2006 Civic or Mazda3 should be very easy:

(1) First have to be "You", the main driver, if you are
    not comfortable in the normal commute driving position,
    then obviously don't do it!. For some people, they are
    very comfortable in their driving position, but they
    forget that their head is way too close to the roof of
    the car i.e. their hair kind of funny after a while due to
    static electricity and it is not a good thing in a rollover
    thingy!.

(2A) So after you get Your the Number One choice, then,
    get on to the web, search for a rental car company that
    offer your number one choice and check it out for a day
    with no pressure from anyone (Including the sales guy!).
    Enjoy the thing by yourself, then do it in July 07, 2007
    at 7:00PM (My "B" answer!). Your pocket will be $25 to
    $50 lighter, but so what, at least you have a chance to
    "Buy Your Happiness!" :)

(2B) Or if after all that, you think the contest is a tie!
    Then go with the Civic, at least it a "Newer" hi-tech toy,
    and beside it got the "Car Of The Year" award for some
    good reasons.

Cheers :)

2006civiclx
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    The second year of a design is always a better idea.... unless of course you just have to have the newest design right away so people can ogle! I didn't wait.
    thanks again 2006civiclx. I'm going to test drive the mazda first, ive test driven the civic and then i'll probably test drive it again and ask to take one from the lot, a used one of course, for the weekend to see what it's like. They do, or did, have a 2006 used civic but it wasn't much cheaper than one without the miles. Also, the mazda is $3,000 cheaper but the safety on the honda is a lot better but I'll let you know what I come up with.

thanks again.

slaterac.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I personally like the Civic a bit better than the 3s that we have. I almost bought the 3i, but it was a bit bland after having the 3s for the past year. Also did take the 3s into the dealer today to check out the a/c...again, and it's blowing at 40 degrees from all the vents, well within specs. Yet 1 day last week, it felt a bit 2 warm in the car. Won't bother with it anymore...it's working as it should.
    Tinted the windows in the Civic LX yesterday and it does make a difference. But even without, the a/c blows a lot cooler in the Honda and I'm pleased. Mileage with mxed driving is also in the low 30's so I'm quite pleased.
    Sure I could've spent a few $'s less with the 3i, but we already have a 3. I really wanted a Civic EX, but couldn't justify the added $ over the LX. Bought the Galaxy Gray, but it was a toss up between that and the Atomic Blue. Happy with my choice afterall and the silver stripe & body colored edge guards & mouldings make it look real sharp.

The Sandman :)
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I like your thinking 2006civiclx. My questions now revolve around the mazda3 i touring or the honda civic ex at nav. The difference is about $2000 but the civic gets better mpg. I will try and test drive them both in the same day and see which one I am more comfortable in. I've read that there are tall people, like me, that fit fine in a civic and that could be the deciding factor since the mazda3 has less leg room, by .7 inches. "

You need to drive them. Going by .7 inches when not all measurements are done the same way is meaningless. I have 32" inseam and I can still move the seat track back a few more clicks. Plenty of legroom.

I also see the selling price difference in an i Touring auto (w/ airbags) and EX auto w/ Nav at $4200. Can get the Mazda Near invoice. Not so, especially with NAV, on the Honda, which will be around sticker

Also, I assume you are going for the i because of the mileage. Many have found the mileage to be pretty close. I have an 06 s touring and I get 34 on pure highway and 26 overall sitting in a lot of traffic each day. This would also allow you to get the NAV you want...Just food for thought
    thanks mrblonde49, sandman, 2006civiclx for all your thoughts. I'll have to look at them both and would expect to get one by the end of august, around my birthday as a present to myself. I'll have to see what I can get. Mrblonde49, I did look at the i because it got better mileage and all i really want is a sunroof and maybe nav. Nav isn't that important but i really would like a sunroof and the windows tinted. Anyone know how much it would cost to have the dealer tint the windows? Thanks again for all your help. You all are great and provide some very helpful insight.

slaterac.
    Anyone know how much it would cost to have the dealer tint the windows?

That varies from dealer to dealer. I just recommend a local tint shop to my customers.

If a sun roof/moon roof is what is really important to you, You can get a Mazda3 "i" with the 6CD/ moon roof package and it is still cheaper then the Civic EX. Also, the advantage in EPA fuel consumption is not huge. I see a lot of Civic owners getting sub 30mpg.

Go with what you really like better, that's really all that counts.
    thanks aviboy97. I'll check them out and see. I have read that the honda civic owners, the majority, are getting an average of 35 MPG and that's important to me but the difference in cost may be so great that it becomes trivial.

Thanks.

slaterac
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    I am in the same boat as you (deciding between an 06 Civic and an 06 Mazda 3i Touring w/sunroof/6 disc changer/side air bags/ABS.. The Civic LX is actually cheaper than the Mazda 3i Touring by about $300-500 (paying invoice on the Mazda and am working on getting the best deal on the Civic)..

I am leaning towards the Mazda 3, but the better fuel economy of the Civic, and the resale value are also factors to consider. As far as performance, the cars are about even. I just like the idea of having the 6 disc changer, sunroof, and audio controls on the steering wheel.

In your case the Civic EX's better fuel economy and better resale value are factors...
    If you're looking at a couple of thousand difference or even a thousand dollars difference just because one gets better mileage, look again. You have to drive a fair bit over 3-5 or more years to break-even. I wouldnt let mileage be a deciding a factor.