Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Titan vs Chevy Silverado

13»

Comments

• razorthunderrazorthunder Member Posts: 98
    Your right people can just look at the consumer report, and not just base a decision on my experience:

Nissan's first entry into the full-sized truck category holds its own against the competition. It has an impressively large cabin, is relatively agile, has a fairly comfortable ride, and has a very smooth transmission. Safety features include optional electronic stability control and curtain air bags. The cargo bed of the crew cab is fairly small compared with the competition, and payload capacity is a meager 1,105 pounds. The Titan's muscular V8 provides strong acceleration, but the constant engine and exhaust noise can become tiresome. The truck gets a facelift for 2007. Reliability has been well below average. (SOURCE MSN: Autos/Consumer Reports Summary)

Also, staying on topic the reliability rating for the Chevy 2500HD is much higher. So bottomline, on average, in term of reliability your better off with the 2500HD, or any other truck for that matter, since TITAN is rated the lowest in reliability category.
  • mick14mick14 Member Posts: 30
    Your OFF TOPIC AGAIN- people can just look at the consumer report, and base a decision on our positive experiences:

Last time we compared full-size pickups, in January 2004, the TITAN won. Since then, every other truck here has been redesigned. No matter — the TITAN retains its title. At the dragstrip, with 1000 pounds in the bed, the TITAN crossed the quarter-mile mark two-hundredths of a second after the rocket-sled Tundra. Though the Tundra has 64 more horsepower, the Titan weighs less. It's the lightest truck here, which helped its fuel economy numbers. The TITAN was midpack in all our handling tests, even though it had the tallest tires with the most aggressive off-road biased tread. Our test TITAN is the best equipped for going off-road; in fact, it was the best in the dirt and the only truck here to come with a pushbutton locking rear differential. The TITAN also has the most useful bed of the group, with huge, movable tiedown cleats, a bed liner and a unique bedside lockbox. Inside, the TITAN is roomy and comfortable, rivaling the limousine-like Tundra for rear-seat legroom. The only strike against the Nissan is the use of hard and cheap-looking interior plastics. Nonetheless, each night every tester wanted to drive the Titan back to the hotel. Nuff said. :)
    Your OFF TOPIC AGAIN (Mick14) Since when is the comparison of the consumer reports reliability of the Nissan Titan versus the Chevy Silverado in a Nissan versus Chevy Silverado forum off topic.

Last time we compared full-size pickups, in January 2004, the TITAN won (Mick14) How did you compare reliability of the Nissan Titan versus other trucks in January 2004, since it debuted in 2004, and it takes time, in years, to rate reliability? You should have looked at the reference before posting a reply. How did the testers drivers determine reliability? The consumer reports reference clearly states how they determine reliability ratings.

The only strike against the Nissan is the use of hard and cheap-looking interior plastics. (Mick14) Not true, after testing reliability the consumer report wrote the following about Nissan Titans: Reliability has been well below average (SOURCE MSN: Autos/ Consumer Reports). Or you can check out the previous post for the article.

Nonetheless, each night every tester wanted to drive the Titan back to the hotel (Mick14). Are they driving the Titan to the hotel because they couldn't make it home?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Let's leave CR out of this, perhaps we have some review in Edmunds you can quote?

-mike
  • mick14mick14 Member Posts: 30
    Edmunds did a long term review of the Titan:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/LongTerm/articleId=101898

As well as the new model Titan:

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/titan/2007/review.html

I wish they would do a test now for the 2004 with more than 24K. Mine has 36K and is running as smooth and powerful as ever!!!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Mick14, I agree with you, my 2004 Armada has 38k miles and is running like a top, 20k+ of those miles are towing at least 6,000lbs too!

-mike
  • davethecarnutdavethecarnut Member Posts: 248
    After reading razorthunder's experiences, it shows Nissan has a strange policy on it's lemons. My brother had a heck of a time with his 350Z and threatened a law suit when Nissan finally bought it back. I think Nissan made great strides in the quality of it's vehicles. But like Mick14 said, some vehicles turn out to have problems. Obviously Nissan is having a hard time owning up to this and tries to sweep it's lemons under the carpet instead of doing the right thing the first time and owning up to it's mistakes. Come on Carlos G.!! Make your company the star it could be!
    After reading razorthunder's experiences, it shows Nissan has a strange policy on it's lemons. My brother had a heck of a time with his 350Z and threatened a law suit when Nissan finally bought it back. I think Nissan made great strides in the quality of it's vehicles. But like Mick14 said, some vehicles turn out to have problems. Obviously Nissan is having a hard time owning up to this and tries to sweep it's lemons under the carpet instead of doing the right thing the first time and owning up to it's mistakes. Come on Carlos G.!! Make your company the star it could be!
    wow....i guess i was a buzz kill to this forum. what happened paisan? any nissan reps want to comment?
    I think Carlos Ghosn and his nissan reps are busy figuring out how Nissan's profit plunged 54% in the January-March quarter! I guess they better start producing a quality product.
  • driver56driver56 Member Posts: 408
    Lemon-Aid rated the 06 Titan 5 stars (highest rating), the 06 Silverado 3 stars (average rating).
    Just another opinion. Myself, I put as much emphasis on CR as I do Lemon-Aid. Yet, they are sometimes very contradictory.
    I agree CR and other consumer testing media are important for making purchasing decisions. But how many trucks do they test? Maybe 3 or 4? Out of the thousands that will be sold to consumers? That's why I read what some of those "thousands" have to say about their trucks in forums like this one. The media are great for doing the original tech testing but it's the real world testers that count more to me.
    I don't have a vast amount of faith in the CR reliability surveys for one thing. I do scan them, but there is too much room for human error and they do not represent the majority. I am in fact a subscriber to Cr, and find that most of their reviews/road tests make sense, but I do take their info with a grain. I do like what they say about not putting too much emphasis on their findings when it comes time to choose your next vehicle. The colored dots might all be in the right spots, but if the car doesn't suit you, it's not a good choice.
    I wish I would have listened to consumer reports and their rating Nissan Titan reliability well below average. If I did I wouldn't have purchased to Nissan lemons repaired over 60 times. Obviously, CR won't be spot on every time, but would have deterred me from buying my two Nissan Lemons and gone with a more reliable brand.
    Your observations do not jive at all with mine. Now, get some sleep.
    You want answers? I want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
    Jack,

I want facts. I know the truth.
    "The truth is more important than the facts." Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959).
    "Just the facts Ma'am." Joe Friday (?)
    Ummm...okay...I guess I'll rephrase that to "most" forum writers. Hmmm... do you think Frank Lloyd Wright would've designed a "contemporary" Nissan? :surprise:
    Ask Razorthunder that question. He brought it up.
    I do think that Frank would have designed an aesthetically pleasing automobile, but it wouldn't have gone anywhere.
    Why would Frank need to do that? Nissan does that already!
  • titan_trashtitan_trash Member Posts: 1
    You rather get the Silverado. Some fuel pump problems were on the Titan most likely after 40K miles - It is costly to repair in the four digits. When fuel pump problem show up, your titan will die unexepectedly at anytime, any speed. Mine was at 70MPH crusine on the freeway - twice. Good luck to those of us who current owns Titan.
    Brilliant.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Four digit repair bill to replace a fuel pump? How did that happen?
    A fuel pump might cost $250 with labor extra?
    Another fabrication perhaps? Thanks for the info!
    Do you think Joe Friday could replace a fuel pump cheaper? Sorry.....I can't believe they put the pumps in the gas tanks now.....I guess I'm old school :confuse:
    '97 mark VIII. After fillup fuel gauge showed 7/8 full never at the full mark. Took it to dealer who wanted me to fill tank with gas and have the tech check it out. Come find out he has to replace the sensor which is located in the now full fuel tank....so funny.

Even if the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. You're talking 9 hours of labor to drop the tank and replace the fuel pump? Tech should be fired if he takes that long.
    I really don't believe that Joe is even alive.
    And I haven't had a fuel pump go since my 1981 Volvo refused to fire up back in the winter of 88.
    Yep...the last time I replaced a fuel pump, I had a hard time fitting the arm of the pump under the cam lobe...ah man..my 8-Track player just ate my Bad Finger tape...I'm :cry: too old for this...
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    You guys should be careful about jumping to conclusions. A fuel pump replacement on a '99 Avalon just cost us $886. The fuel pump on my daughters '03 Altima was over $700.

So maybe a grand for a Titan is not that far out of line.

Dusty
  • smokin98sssmokin98ss Member Posts: 13
    I sell both and I can tell you the chevy wins hands down. CR can say what they want but I see them daily and Titans get towed in at a rate of 10 to one on the chevys. I've had people bring them back and trade them two months after buying them. They say it's the worst truck they ever owned. I won't repeat what they say about the Ridgeline.
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    Deciding between an 08' titan le crew cab long bed 4x2 with tow pck, msrp of 36,300.00 with rebate can buy for 29,400.00. Or an 07' chevy 1500 extended cab long bed 4x2 with msrp of 33,094.00 with rebate can buy for 26,375.00. love all the features of the titan, but with test drive city mpg registered over 10 mile run at 9.8mpg. I reset the computers before the test drives. chevy(5.3 engine) over almost identical run computer read 14.6. would love info from owners of both to post true mpg's and any problems or lack of problems. I've seen the post of razor so would like some new voices spoken.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    Is that truck owners as a whole are not like car owners. You might have a preference for one truck over another but as a whole you would rather have a truck than a car. I have learned to have a healthy respect for Titans and Tundras even if I do feel it took Toyota quite a while to get it right. Not that their 1/2 ton was ever a bad truck it just wasn't up to what the other full sized trucks were. Now I think they have corrected their 7/8 truck stigma. I simply do not trust Nissan even if I agree they seem to make a reasonable truck. Most of my experience with Nissan trucks has been with their small trucks and I consider them the back of the pack. There is something that turns people off about Nissan Trucks but to be honest I don't know what it is. They were first in the market with compact trucks only to flatten out and fall first to Toyota, then in 74 or 76 they fell to Ford Ranger and not long after they fell behind Chevy S-10. Does anyone know where they stand in total truck sales today?

As far as fuel mileage goes Most of the road tests I have seen have rated Ford, Toyota and GM ahead of Dodge and Nissan. What has bothered me about the Nissan was the same thing that used to bother me about the Tundra. For some reason the Asian powers that be decided we only needed one engine choise. Now even Toyota gives you three just like GM and Ford. Nissan still seems to think they Know better than their customers so we get one choice. It may be a fine engine but I want to make the choice. Still I wouldn't kick a Titan out of my driveway if I wanted a 1/2 ton.
    I own both.

If you're looking for mpg and less up front costs, buy the GM.

You don't state what exactly you want the truck to do so based on what you've posted the only logical choice is the GM.
  • ftrspeedyftrspeedy Member Posts: 7
    i bout my 2008 1500 ext cab 4x4 silverado 3.73 gear in late oct. during winter i was getting 15mpg on these warmer weeks recently i've been peeking aroun 16-16.2mpg few days ago i pulled a trailer, bout 20ft enlosed car trailer extra wide 170 mile empty 170 mile loaded with 2500lbs race car auto trans in 3rd gear and doin 60-65mph i got 8-8.3mpg both ways. truck has almost 9100miles on it
  • friskybusafriskybusa Member Posts: 3
    I can get 20 mpg any day I want. Just have to keep speed to 65 - 68mph. I do it all the time commuting 92 miles a day. mostly interstates. just take it easy with the GO pedal, and stay off the brake unless or untill it is needed. Also 55k miles, no problems and still plenty tread left on original tires. Some people with MPG complaints need to learn how to drive. :D
    20 any day? 55K on tires? Now that is simply amazing.
    Only 2500lbs and in 3rd gear? Were you going uphill the whole way? On flat ground you can put it in OD. Seriously.
  • muskyfevermuskyfever Member Posts: 20
    I'd have to take a Titan over a Chevy anyday. American made trucks are for hillbillies, I'm sorry that's just the way it is. I'd take a Tundra before an American made truck also. 100 years of building trucks and the [non-permissible content removed] surpass them on their very first try? Just goes to show you how bad the big 3 really are.
    Ummmmm.......guess where the Tundra and Titan are built? doh
  • trucker8trucker8 Member Posts: 1
    I have been a die-hard chevy fan my whole life, the time came to trade in my 97 chev. 1/2 ton. that served me well for 12 years, I went straight to the gm dealer to buy an 09 1/2 ton full load and guess what, aside from the new sheet-metal, and flashy interior. that 09 was no different than my 97! what a let down! I test drove an 09 titan LE and let me tell you i will NEVER go back! Thanks chevy its been a great 30 years, but you cant touch my new Titan!
    ...and a whole new drivetrain and frame and...wait..are you sure you had a 97???? Was it the truck or the dealer? Sometimes they think there are only three players in the full size truck market and want to goug...I mean price them accordingly.
    But there is no way a 97 and a 09 are even related. That 97 was really an 88. :P
This discussion has been closed.