Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lotus Heritage

acura_el2000acura_el2000 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Lotus
Ive got a couple of questions about Lotus.
1. Who owns them?
2. Does anyone know why just about every single Lotus made, has a name starting with E??
3. When is a new Esprit due? Any pictures out there?

Comments

• carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I can't answer all of it, but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

I know that Proton (from Malaysia) owns them. Proton makes really cheap and basic cars, some of which are sold in Europe. Poor quality, from what I hear. But the "Gen II" or something like that, one of their sedans, has pretty good handling for the price. They go so far as to advertise one of their other cars as "My First Lotus."

I think Kia was their previous owner?

There are pictures of the Europa around the internet. But it's nothing more than a slightly larger Exige (room for luggage!). Given Lotus's brush with death, I doubt they've been able to even think about a new Esprit.

Oh, and I also remember the existence of the Lotus Carlton - not an E. But it was a tuned version of some other car.
  • lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Go to Wikipedia and check back with us if you have any further questions.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Oh, and I also remember the existence of the Lotus Carlton - not an E. But it was a tuned version of some other car.

Or my favorite Lotus, the Seven (so cool that after its demise, a Lotus Dealership named Caterham bought the rights so they could keep making it...and they still do!)
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,370
    The Vauxhall/Lotus Carleton was just one of the sedans that recieved special tuning from Lotus. One of the earliest was the Lotus-Ford Cortina, extensively raced in the easrly mid-60s by the likes of Jimmie Clark and others

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Interesting thing...nobody knows where the name Lotus comes from or why Chapman picked it.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Because you have to be able to fold yourself into the Lotus position to get into the Elise's cabin?
    People over 5' 9" or with shoe sizes bigger than 8 need not apply. :P
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hi ShiftRight,
    I do not see any threads for general discussions, like prices paid / experiences / Problems etc...
    I am looking to find out all I can about the ownership experiences, issues, wait time etc.. Where can I post these questions?
    Thank You.
    --njexpress!
    If you go to the Prices Paid Home Page,

Prices Paid Topic List

you'll see at the top of the list a link to request opening up a new topic about a car not yet being discussed there.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Many thanks - I will do that...
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Isn't Lotus suppose to make a SUV or 4 door sedan ? I thought I read something about this a while back ? Maybe one of ya'll could refresh my memeory.

Thanx

Rocky :shades:
  • dgorndgorn Member Posts: 1
    Am delighted with my recently acquired 1995 Lotus Esprit S4. The sound doesn't reflect the power. Don't want it to sound like an F1, but a little growl would be OK. Would also think a larger exhaust diameter and less restrictive muffler would improve performance. ANY SUGGESTIONS? If so, please comment and indicate supplier. Thanks.
    David G.
This discussion has been closed.