Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    I was mildly interested in a WRX, but after reading all the reviews Subaru really doesn't give a person much reason to go out and get one. From virtually all reports, they took a step backward. Also, for being such a small car, it gets awful mileage, and requires premium to boot.

Still think the '09 diesel Accord is looking mighty good.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    actual reviews on the New Impreza/WRX? I've only seen previews; often times impressions that may not be entirely positive preliminarily can change when people actually DRIVE the vehicles. Simply because the powertrains have been tweaked and not overhauled does not mean the vehicles have taken steps BACKWARD.

MPG is expected to be pretty much the same as it has been - but what do you want from an AWD turbocharged vehicle? Keep it real.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    I don't keep the links to the articles, but from what I've read the car doesn't meet the usual expectations (upgrades) when a new generation (or redesign) is introduced. Not saying its a bad car, I'm sure the fun-to-drive factor is very high.

As far as mpg is concerned, I understand it's an AWD turbo and all, but in relative terms for example, the current V6 Accord is larger, more powerful and gets better mileage. It's just an example how if someone is doing a comparo of several models in this class and mpg was a high consideration, it would have to be a factor.

Again, not knocking it as a bad car. I'm sure Subaru loyalists will buy it and be quite satisfied.
  • johnson5johnson5 Member Posts: 34
    Honda targets the Baby boom generation with the Accord and has grown the car

I am 64 and I ordered a 08 Accord Ex L V6 A with Navigation
    My prior cars include MB and Volvo. Tired of taking these cars long way, 120 miles for service as I live in rural Applachia.

These cars become expensive to maintain after the warranty period is over.
    In 2002 I purchased a Honda CRV.
    Every one said you should have purchased a Lincoln navigator etc, expedition Etc.
    They also said CRV & RAV is for younger folks, and not for a person of my age.

Whi cares!

I guess some people have some opinions like Hyundai Accent, Elantra, corolla etc are secretary’s cars etc.

The Honda dealer is only 7 miles away and it gives me every thing I want and from my past experience with CRV, Honda cars are very reliable.

Regarding the looks, Front end and back end, No exciting looks etc.
    A friend of mine once said
    “The looks of a car is some thing like a lady wearing fancy ear rings. They are for others to look at,
    Except when she is looking at herself with a mirror.
    You look at your car only in your garage or in the parking lot.
    The interior is what you spend time with. Go for comfortable seats, clean interior, safety etc.”
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    I was mildly interested in a WRX, but after reading all the reviews Subaru really doesn't give a person much reason to go out and get one. From virtually all reports, they took a step backward. Also, for being such a small car, it gets awful mileage, and requires premium to boot.

Just don't say that in the Subaru Forum ;) they don't seem to like these things pointed out to them especially that the limited slip differential is now gone from the new WRX but was in the old model.
    I had a 2002 and it was great and looked great but that's all changed.

Still think the '09 diesel Accord is looking mighty good.

It's a darn shame that I will be in the market when I get back to the US too soon to buy one and will have to buy a gasser. But Honda is now at the top of my list thanks to Subaru's decision to neuter the WRX.
    If the Accord coupe looks and drives as well the pictures seem to indicate then i might just get one even tho I really need a 4 door! I can always buy a Honda Fit to haul stuff around in. My wife likes the BMW's and the Accord especially the Accord coupe. She liked the EVO until she heard the engine and wow it sounded awful, a car costing that much should sound good not like a 30 year old car with bad lifters.
    If only the Accord diesel were available in Jan 2008! i'd buy it!
    As far as mpg is concerned, I understand it's an AWD turbo and all, but in relative terms for example, the current V6 Accord is larger, more powerful and gets better mileage. It's just an example how if someone is doing a comparo of several models in this class and mpg was a high consideration, it would have to be a factor.
    Again, not knocking it as a bad car. I'm sure Subaru loyalists will buy it and be quite satisfied.

Actually I was a subaru fan but the company changing direction has altered that. Sure the new WRX might be great but it might not be also. I have to drive it myself since I'd be paying for it and the Accord offers so much more for not much more money. No it doesn't offer AWD but still if you buy snow tires which I have to do no matter what i buy then the AWD isn't that big an issue.
    The new WRX looks as someone said like a Hyundai with a hood scoop bolted on. It's now non-functional.
    I'm still considering it but also I am considering the base Impreza as a possibility and maybe my wife can drive the Impreza and I can drive an Accord, although she likes the Honda Fit much better and the CRV also really appeals to her as well.
    MPG is a big factor nowadays and I don't think it will be too many more years and the high HP low MPG vehicles will start to wither away except for a few sports cars. Once gas hits $4+ a gallon it's tough to justify 400-500HP.
    My 2002 WRX looked better and yet the new model might be ok in base trim. The steel wheel that is comes with are a non-issue for me if my wife drives it. it's easier to get winter tires for steel wheels. The Accord is 260+ HP V6 and the WRX is 224HP 2.0 Boxer Turbo.
    Both are good cars but a great deal on an Accord with leather and everything but Nav, well Honda sells a lot of cars for a reason I've owned quite a few of them over the years. Great cars!
  • honda00honda00 Member Posts: 29
    Johnson5,

You have already ordered a 2008 accord? I didn't think you could do that yet?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ya, I don't think you can "order" yet. He probably just put a deposit down. Hopefully getting something in writing so he does not get taken advantage of when it arrives. Which is crazy, your ordering a car that you have not seen in person or driven. But, then again, it is a honda. I am not even sure I'll get an 08, I might get another car and then trade back for the new model in a year or two when it calms down a bit. I am not sure yet.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can't order them. What comes is what comes. He is probably on a contact list to be called when one in the color he wants comes in and they can hold it for him.

I don't know why someone is that desperate to get the first one when they will be making as many of them as they think they can sell. Probably over 400,000 a year. They are not going rare cars that you have to be on waiting lists to beg for a chance to buy.
    The only "shortage" is when they first come out because sometimes the initial weeks of production are slow as they try to keep on top of production glitches that pop up for the first time.

If you go to the dealer the first week they are released, you might see just a handful on 2008 Accords in stock with many people clammering to be the first to get any that weren't "presold." If you go back a couple months later, you may see 50 available in stock.

If there are problems with the car, not only will the dealer mechanics not be familiar with what are "common problems" of the car, but there will be very little spare parts inventory available. This means that repairs will take longer and be more likely to not be fixed the first time than on an 2007, and you are much more likely to be forced to wait for back ordered parts if you need any parts replaced under warranty the first several months after the car us released.

Paying extra money to deal with this by buying during the first few months of a new model release isn't the smartest thing.
    Terms:
    Deposit of 500 $ when they have dealers allocation
    Probably august 25th.

Car should be paid up with in one week after it is prepped and made ready.
    No trade in.
    Cash payment 90%. Rest of the 10% bank. Loan (to have a credit reference).

If the car is paid up with in three days, dealer will install mud guards free as a bonus.
    The dealer said he got burned down with Accords hybrids, people ordered them and when the reviews came up they did not show up and it is hard to get rid of them.

This being the most expensive Accord model EXL V6, A, with Navi, the dealer said he just wants to be sure I am serious.
    Probably in few moths to a year one may be able to get it cheaper, but I am not keen on negotiating or driving to another town and get it.

New model: my son’s friend said Honda made mistakes before with designing with Accoords02 and few other models. They made few engineering mistakes too. They acknowledge it and are making sure they will not be repeated .He says it is conservative, but not ugly or flashy.

The engineering staff at Honda is very busy and working over time to make sure that every thing will go fine with new Accord. The 6 cylinder engine and the second generation cylinder management is under extensive testing.Problems can occur with supplier parts. But take a chance

I specifically asked the dealer I do not want the car made in September and one later October is fine.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    and that great 4WS system of the 80s

I still have mine, and not willing to let go (1988 Prelude Si 4WS)... :D

Honda was 20 years ahead of its time with the 4WS.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    You can't order them. What comes is what comes.

Well that's not really true. If a dealer knows that he has a particular model/trim/color already sold, he can request it from the factory.

I've already started contacting numerous dealers in my area to begin negotiating a deal. Some are more eager than others. I fully intend to play them against each other, and I'll go with whomever is more interested in getting me the best deal and the speediest delivery.

I don't know why someone is that desperate to get the first one when they will be making as many of them as they think they can sell.

Different people have different circumstances. For me, I'm tired of driving my current car and I want to be out of it as soon as possible. And yes, all of the attention the car will get from people who have never seen it before will be a nice added benefit.

and you are much more likely to be forced to wait for back ordered parts

You make it sound all doom and gloom that the first cars off the production line are going to have engines that explode and one would be without a vehicle for a long period of time. When was the last time such a major problem happened with a Honda release? IF the car has a few kinks, so what, Honda will fix it. I've had experiences where I've purchased brand new models before and had absolutely no problems with them.

Paying extra money to deal with this by buying during the first few months of a new model release isn't the smartest thing.

Well you're assuming I'll be paying extra money. I think I get a better deal negotiating before the model hits the lot than after when there are all the people there clamoring to buy one.

I'll just roll in, and wave to the crowds and roll out in my new Accord. :shades:

If you're not an early adopter, that's fine. But there's no need to call those of us who are, crazy or dumb. In a couple of months, it will be our posts about our driving experiences with the vehicle that will be informative for you to read.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Yes, I would have no problem buying the 08 Accord. I have an 03 Accord and I have had "NO" problems to speak of. I'm sure these cars are thoroughly tested before major production starts. Defective parts can be found on 07 models, just as well as 03 models. I did however wait until September of 03 to purchase the car so I could get a better deal when the 04 models were pouring in. I got an EX V6 for $25k (which was my spending limit). Luckily for me, not many people buy the V6, so there were still some to choose from. What I did was go to the big volume dealers (65-80 miles away) first, got their best price, waited a week for them to call and offer better deals, then went to the local dealer (15 miles away) and they matched the lowest price. Works every time. :D
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    As far as mpg is concerned, I understand it's an AWD turbo and all, but in relative terms for example, the current V6 Accord is larger, more powerful and gets better mileage.

Something to consider is the new EPA standard. Personally I hate it for the reason that I never had trouble meeting or beating them even with my lead footed driving. Unfortunately, window sticker will paint a bad picture for most cars due to this new standard.

Just to give you an idea, my 1998 Accord EX-L/AT was rated 23/30 for an overall mileage of 26 mpg. Under the new system, it is now rated 20/27 mpg for an overall 22 mpg. I get 26 mpg from it (with 178K miles on the odometer now), and have seen a consistent 32 mpg return at 75 mph on highways.

A similar experience with my '06 TL. The old standard rated it at 20/29 mpg for 24 mpg overall. The new standard puts it at 18/26 for 21 mpg. The worst tank I have ever had over 27K miles was 23 mpg (due to excessive idling in traffic and during winter). Otherwise, 24 mpg is the norm. Last tank ran 369 miles for 13.6 gallons (27.1 mpg calculated, while trip computer showed 27 mpg) with a light foot and keeping the speed under 70 mph.

My driving (in both, Accord and TL is mixed with half and half for city/highway, and usually each trip is at least 5 miles).

IMO, the new standards are designed to appease people who complain. Those who meet or exceed won't hold EPA by the throat. So, if I were going purely by EPA ratings, I would simply add 10% or so to their projected fuel economy.
  • 1293712937 Member Posts: 5
    Friends, Could you share your views on -

1. Probable OTD price for 08 Accord Sedans (LX/EX/EX-L 4 cyl)
    2. New features compared to 07 Accord
    3. when do we expect 08 accords at the dealership
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    1. Probable OTD price for 08 Accord Sedans (LX/EX/EX-L 4 cyl)

- Slightly higher pricing than the 2007 models.

2. New features compared to 07 Accord

- New Generation, new exterior, new interior.

3. when do we expect 08 accords at the dealership

- Early to mid-September.

Come on, nobody outside of Honda corporate offices has seen pricing yet. No manufacturer has ever lowered prices from one year to the next. The term OTD is meaningless since the taxes and fees in your city and state are different from those in other cities and states. You can only go by the MSRP, that is identical throughout the country, and the bottom line results of your negotiation with the dealer. There are lots of unconfimed/unconfirmable rumors about features. Virtually every manufacturer's new year models always come out in September.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...IMO, the new standards are designed to appease people who complain. Those who meet or exceed won't hold EPA by the throat.

....took the words right out of my face...........

AV6 6M: 26-28 most days of mixed driving. Lows in LA "pay your dues" horrific traffic is circa 21. OTOH Yuma - Gila Bend pushed the 40 using cc/2150rpm/87/patience...........

I like this car. But I look forward to an '08 TD. The VCM appeals to a guy like me.

..best..ez..
    Stop exaggerating. It doesn't need to be engines exploding. It could be just phantom rattles, squeaks and creaks, "lug bugs," defective radios or any type of problem that comes up. Who wants to live with problems like that and trial and error fix attempts even if it doesn't make the car undriveable? Whatever it may be, there will be extremely limited parts availability initially. Back order waits for parts is not unusual on newly introduced vehicles.

I don't see why it would ever be necessary to ever "order" an Accord even if it were possible since there are a limited number of Accord models and colors and they will all be built eventually whether you order it or not.
    If the dealer isn't getting the color you want the day you want it, they can swap with another dealer or you will just have to wait a few weeks until one gets built and shipped.
    Ordering in a way where they would do something custom for you such as change the application of paint on a car that was going to red to blue because you wanted blue would involve several weeks/months of waiting, so it would not save time and accomplishes nothing.
    I supposed they could patronizingly tell you they had one specially made for your order when all they are really doing is watching the system until they see one like you "ordered" in the pipeline or swapping with another dealer.
    It doesn't make sense that you need to leave a deposit "prove you are serious" unless they felt they were going be stuck with a difficult to sell car if you cancel. Since, they believe they will be super hot when first released, they should be able to tell you they don't need a deposit because if you cancel, they'll just sell it to someone else.
  • mcmanusmcmanus Member Posts: 121
    In summer of 1980 we ordered an Accord (none in stock). They came in three colors with either a 4M or 3A transmission. There, wasn't that simple? :D

We waited four weeks for delivery.
  • wardcowardco Member Posts: 27
    I hope you like yours. I bought my 2007 Accord V6 (auto) a month ago and love it, the power, the fun, the heated mirrors. Haven't had the stability control kick in yet. My wife's Civic EX '07 rounds out our stable. Doesn't get any better than this!

Hondas in Pittsburgh
    :)
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    You know, I must admit, I like consumers like those. They buy a car and rant about how bad it was because of something minor. "OH the rear seat is too small for my little johnny so I'm going to by an SC430..." :sick:

But then when normal people buy it and love it and word gets out, then there is peace in the world and the people screaming about cons run back to the car they left and relize that they could just slide the front seat forward.

Because the coupe is marketed as a sportier accord, it would be cool to see honda drop the turbo there instead of the v6.

-Cj

-Cj
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    It could be just phantom rattles, squeaks and creaks, "lug bugs," defective radios or any type of problem that comes up. Who wants to live with problems like that and trial and error fix attempts even if it doesn't make the car undriveable?

Sure that's possible. But the odds aren't high that will be the case. I'm willing to take that risk to get the car sooner, that's all.

I don't see why it would ever be necessary to ever "order" an Accord even if it were possible since there are a limited number of Accord models and colors and they will all be built eventually whether you order it or not.
    If the dealer isn't getting the color you want the day you want it, they can swap with another dealer

But that's the point, I don't want to wait for it to be swapped out with another dealer. Here's how this works, I place the order now. The dealer knowing he has an instant, sure sale, makes sure he gets that exact car delivered to his lot ASAP. Instant profit for him. If I wait till the accords are already on the lot, he has much less incentive to go hunting for what I want. He'll want to sell me what he has in stock.

And other dealers who might have the version I want, would have much less incentive in doing a swap since their lots will be full of buyers as well.

My only point is, if someone wants to be the first with an accord and get exactly what they want, the time to start negotiating is now.
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    In the industry that I am in (software), the prevailing maxim is never buy a .0 release- like Vista 1.0- despite extensive testing, there will always be bug fixes and what not else that will be ironed out in subsequent releases. So mindful of that, I look at September Accords as "08.0"- thanks, I'll wait for "08.5" (unless my present car gives it up forcing me to an earlier decision, haha). But there will always be early adopters that will lived with higher risk and that's OK. Hey, one guy in our office has the new Apple iPhone- and he loves it and is the center of attention and everybody he has shown it to is insanely jealous of it- including me!!!
    My 98 Was a 6.0, and one of the first ones to roll out the factory after a major redesign (considerable changes happened with that generation). It is a different story that I had to neither wait nor had to pay a premium (got it for $200 over listed invoice). Although, soon after, there was a wait time for EX-L and EXV6 models, and especially on the coupe.

~10 years and 178K miles later, not a rattle or squeak in the car. Except for one that was noticed within 6 months of ownership, a squeak from moonroof. The solution was simple... lubricate the rubber seals.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "the fact of the matter is, honda DIDN"T flop on the back end of this accord, as styling is totally subjective and this is your opinion. they may have made it unnatractive to YOU, but that doesn't make it a 'flop."

The back end of the 08 Accord Sedan is not unactractive to me per say but its just too plain looking for today's market in my opinion.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    People who want the new Accord, will have no problem finding reasons to like the looks. People who don't like Accords, will find a reason to hate it. You can find some aspect of any car's design, that doesn't appeal to you, if you try hard enough. :(
    If one looks at the collegehillshonda, cars on order for September they have a list of 08 accord sedans on order
    They have already sold one.

I talked with few folks who work at Honda, OH. The information about 08 Honda is only on “need to know” basis. It is not a 100% new car and no new suppliers. Most of them saw only taped cars covering the exterior details. Some one said the history repeats. Check new civic and new CRV (new introductions , last year).Problems if any may be similar.

They agree that the 07 model is close to near problem free.
    Some of the cars from pre full scale production will be leased to the H employees (2 years)

Some of them do read the message boards and report the concerns expressed to their management.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    No manufacturer has ever lowered prices from one year to the next.

The 1998 Accord EX-V6 (under $25k MSRP) was cheaper than the previous 1997 model ($25k and change MSRP), if I'm not mistaken.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    What exactly was a departure from the norm in Mazda6 styling?

Because it looked nothing like the other current or past cars in its class. Like I said, when others were trying to out-vanilla each other, Mazda decided to make a family sedan that stood out on the road. Again, I stress part of my statement is "in its class." Look at the other cars in its class at the time the mazda6 came out. They are all completely boring and barely distinguishable from each other.

We are SO FAR off topic! ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    are comparing the '08 Accord and '08 WRX:

The first actual US-review (that I've seen) from an editor of a publication, vs. simple previews based on press information:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/.ee9cc50
    It looked like having acquired grill and headlamps lens from Acuras. As a result, it's front end didn't look much different from Acura TSX. "Bold" is an overblown term.

I think a lot of people think use of clear lens or "Altezza lights" as bold. Having good lines isn't THAT to me. Bold is about doing something different from others. I didn't see that in Mazda6 or Altima. I do see that in CX-7 and Murano as they are not your typical box on wheels.

BTW, do you find anything "bold and dramatic" in Mercedes E-Class? BMW 5-series?
    The 1998 Accord EX-V6 (under $25k MSRP) was cheaper than the previous 1997 model ($25k and change MSRP), if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, and there was a reason for it. 1994-97 Accord chassis wasn't designed to carry V6. When Honda decided to offer that choice, they had to revise the chassis which also resulted in "longer" Accords which carried V6. Costs were passed down to customers.

MY1998 Accord was designed from scratch to carry a V6. Savings were passed down to customers. So that transition was an aberration.

With more features, and inflation being taken into account, 1-2% price increase virtually every year is the norm.
    are comparing the '08 Accord and '08 WRX:

The first actual US-review (that I've seen) from an editor of a publication, vs. simple previews based on press information:

Edmunds just did a full blown review of the 2008 WRX and Motor Trend did as well. Edmunds whom I consider far more accurate and reliable compared to MT was not all that keen on the car. I think the Accord will offer more bang for the buck, although it certainly won't be as fast as the WRX.
    Read the article and decide. For me it told me a lot.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=121788
    It looked like having acquired grill and headlamps lens from Acuras. As a result, it's front end didn't look much different from Acura TSX. "Bold" is an overblown term.

Uhhhh... you do know the mazda6 came out a year before the TSX, don't you? So who was copying who? And if you want to look at just the grille, the mazda was using that shape back before the mazda6.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Mazda6 and Japanese Accord were launched at about the same time, late 2002. Acura TSX (which is basically Japanese Accord with a different interior) was launched in Spring 2003 as a 2004 model. One year?

That said, Acura TSX evolves from 1998-2002 Accord. The grill comes off a family design element that Honda first showcased with 1995 Acura CL-X concept. The tail lamp came off 1985 Integra.

Mazda6 got its grill from 1999-2002 626 and the tail mimics 2000+ Millenia. So, what exactly did arrive “new” with Mazda6? Clear tail lamps? “Ground effects”? To me, it brought a safe 3-box design with tasteful lines. That isn’t something I associate the word “bold” with. Bold would be going at least a bit out of the norm.

Heck, Honda was one of the first to offer clear, single lens horizontal headlamp lens back in 1991 (Accord) or so. That wasn't a "bold" move, it was simply... more tasteful than what everybody else was offering.
    if we want to break it down to such a great degree and take 1 element at a time, nothing is bold anymore.

• angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    i was all set on getting one but after hearing the bmw 1 series will drop soon. couple that with the fact that the g37 will cause a drop in used g35 prices. i might end up with a 2005 or 06 g35 coupe which will be roughly the same price as a accord coupe ex-l by the time options are done
    Or we can talk about it at an "overall level". A new design theme perhaps like never before? That is why I brought up 2003-2005 Accord. It wasn't a widely accepted design for a reason. The rear end was quite a bit different in profile from what typical buyers were used to. So, it was back to the basics via a rather expensive makeover with MY2006.

For something to be bold, it needs to be... bold, in concept and execution. I would say Mercedes CLS is bold, C/E/S class (no matter how attractive one may find it) is not. Infiniti F is bold, G, M or Q aren't.
    For something to be bold, it needs to be... bold, in concept and execution. I would say Mercedes CLS is bold, C/E/S class (no matter how attractive one may find it) is not. Infiniti F is bold, G, M or Q aren't.

I would agree with those.

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    sorry to get off subject again, but how is the current accord more powerful? if you are talking hp then yes, the v6 has more, but the subie is noticably quicker; powerful means so much more than hp numbers.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    i'm wondering if the accord is going to follow suit with the civic in a change in suspension. (i know that this happened much earlier in the civic from 00 to 01).

but do you guys think that honda will keep the double wishbones front and rear? or is the new accord destined to be a machpherson wonder? Still a solid choice, but not as cool or well handling as the doulbe wishbone setup.

thoughts?
    I haven't seen anybody complain about McPherson Struts in Altima. That said, it is highly unlikely Honda will change the formula on Accord. It should still be double-wishbone front and watt-link (5-links) double wishbone rear.

In case of a compact car like Civic, space is at a premium, and not only does DWB add weight and cost, it is not optimal set up in terms of space (while ensuring safety). In a larger car like Accord, it isn't as much of an issue.

Space would also be the reason why Odyssey (and all SUVs from Honda) have McPherson struts up front.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    The rear end was quite a bit different in profile from what typical buyers were used to. So, it was back to the basics via a rather expensive makeover with MY2006.

i agree. i wonder if Honda used any focus group feedback. seems they would have saved some $$$ and kept some sales if they had avoided that one.
    Yep. Forget study group, they could have showed it just to me (and given a fraction of what it cost them to revise the rear end, and lost sales). :P

Seriously though, Honda does need to look beyond the styling approvers they have now. While it hasn't hurt CR-V sales (in fact they are at unprecedented levels and leading the SUV pack), the grill is ugly. They sure know how to mess up somewhere, somehow.

But then, it also happens to be bold and different something Honda is not associated with. I won't be surprised if the "floating eye" look will become more common. Even Audi R8 has it.

Floating eye: that would be my term for unconventional styling element Honda has used on CR-V, where the headlamp (or part of it) isn't "supported" by front bumper in a traditional way. But my problem with CR-V grill is the way it sits/protrudes at the top in a side profile.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    styling cues... i think they are getting confused: i personally think the CRV doesn't look as nice as it used to.

they could make the CRV look so much better at the back end by dropping the hexagon punchout about the midsection of the hatch. yuck.

and the bumpers on the CRV, the front one makes me think of a frog with an under-bite. yuck.

the front end on the CRV looks much worse than it used to IMHO: why the deep cuts on the hood? yuck.

MDX back end, oh my blood pressure is going up. :sick:
    They are not going to do anything about CRV styling since it is now the #1 selling SUV in the US.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Dude,sometimes It's you,not them. :) #1 in suv sales.
  • fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    CRV is #1?? Please link me to your source!
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Yep, just read it in the Wall Street Journal...I also have big problems with the CR-V's looks, and worry if they'll carry over to the 2009 Pilot...but, to get back on topic, I think both the new Accord coupe and sedan are major improvements. I'll have to see the sedan on the road to make final judgement.
This discussion has been closed.