Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    In regards to the stereo,
    I have the 06 SE Accord, and I Memphis Audio speakers installed all the way around. That was the best decision that I made. It is truly amazing. These speakers are awesome. I was skeptical at first, but they are very efficient, and work on minimal power, I just never heard of them til I saw them in the showroom. It was like night and day difference! The standard factory system speakers have no character at all. Look at your trunk speakers magnets, they are so so small! they are so flimsy. That is what is installed all the around.

When I get my 08 Accord, I will have to have the Memphis audio speakers installed! I'll probably leave the factory sub there. So anyone wanting to upgrade, seriously, I love sound systems, and own high end speakers, and these Memphis Audio speakers are wonderful!! You cannot go wrong! They very efficient, look at the rating on the specs.

I had them bought and installed for $400, add an amp, and you have an amazing system. But, I will tell you, that these speakers do take awhile to break-in, but after that, WOW! It totally sounds amped, but its not.

They are very clean sounding, and have awesome separate tweeters. These are "REAL" speakers, unlike the factory speakers. When you see the factory pulled out, you'll literally laugh. You'll know why the sound the way they do.
  • wandlwandl Member Posts: 40
    If you're looking for a great deal, now isn't the time - I live in WV and have checked most dealers in WV - MD - OH - PA and no dealer is budging from MSRP; who could blame them, its a hot car and just came out, they will sell them at MSRP to someone else if not me...
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Those trunk liners actually keep the interior of the car quieter. Most road noise goes back into the cabin thru the back as it goes around the car.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    True - you can really notice it with cars that have flip-down access to the trunk - wonder what it would cost to order one from Honda parts?
    I don't think they are available unless they came originally with the car. Does the top of the line 08 have it? then maybe in can be retrofitted to the lower end models.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My 08 EX-L V6 has the trunk liner. I believe I've read that it is only available on my model & the EX-L V6 w/Nav.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    If the trunk lid has the holes for the fitting of the liner's attachment buttons - which it should, as economies of scale for the stamping of the trunk would tend to dictate - you should be able to order the liner for an LX, LX-P, etc. directly from your dealer's Parts Department.

This is another case of Honda's bean-counters at work. Honda's not alone in this, as every manufacturer is looking at ways to pull costs out of a car.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I think the definition of Korean copy is more along the lines of copying the look. For example, take the new Elantra. Do you see a strong resemblance to VW Jetta’s rear? Or, is that style somehow an evolution of older Hyundai design?

In case of new Accord, the association is largely with two design elements. One the upward tapering of the tail lamps, but that is a contemporary design feature. Some follow the inside of the C-pillar (seen in Toyota/Lexus), and others follow the outside line of the C-pillar (1996-2000 CL, 2003-2005 Accord, 2005-2008 RL, 2005-2008 Sonata, 2006-2008 5-series, 2008 C-class, 2008 Accord sedan). There you have one similarity with 5-series.

The other is the kink on the C-pillar. Honda has used them on and off since the 1970s, but rarely on the Accord. 1996-2000 Civic had it (just put thick chrome on it, and you would have something very close).
    imageimage

BMW has almost always used the kink since they made it one of their design elements, so much so that it has literally become a BMW signature since the Hoffmeister days. But that doesn’t mean they started it. You could draw similarities to the kink on Model-T as well.

Combine the two elements (C-pillar kink) and tapering of the tail lamp, and it comes as no surprise that many see similarities. Infiniti G35 has the kink too. In fact, if you look at new Nissan GT-R pictures, you might see C-pillar similarities with Acura TL (the shape of the glass around the c-pillar). This doesn’t mean Nissan copied Acura. You might also see shape of rear glass in 350Z (and G35) being virtually identical to that from first generation Audi TT. And Honda put a thin amber line running full length along the bottom of the headlamps in 1998 Accord, something we also saw in 1999 Audi TT (now Audi has taken it farther with LEDs, Honda, as always, keeps changing things). Things like these happen!

Some copies are simply more blatant than others. You want to see one of the most blatant ones (even worse than Kia Amanti), look here.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Nice post!!
    as every manufacturer is looking at ways to pull costs out of a car

Yep. The new Accord LX-P has a lot of features that my 1998 Accord EX-L doesn't (except for leather and moon roof). And it costs $1K less than my EX-L did ten years ago. So, prices have largely stayed the same despite inflation, refinements and content. So, somewhere costs have to be reduced. But then, my 1998 EX-L doesn't have the liner either.
    The Chinese are copying everything under the sun!
    Mackabee
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    No one is being a troll, certainly not I, as everything I've heard regarding the Sonata, for example, is how Hyundai appears to have copied the previous generation Audi A6, which well it should since it was Hyundai's benchmark. Or, others have said Hyundai copied the previous generation Accord, and on and on. Why then do some, especially Hondaphiles, tend to get upset when a Honda product appears to look like another exterior design? If Honda patterns their exterior design from a brand of higher caliber - that's OK, but not from a perceived lower caliber brand. Ah, now I see . . . some of you guys are just simply incredulous.

Forums are just that - anyone can add their 2 cents worth to a discussion. This is not a "members only" discussion group.

Although the 2008 Accord's exterior does take on connotations of a 5-series BMW, I submit you park a Saturn L200 next to the 2008 Accord - side by side. The side profile and lines are almost identical, as well as the tail light assemblies. Check it out!

FWIW . . . I own a 2005 Honda Accord LX, 2007 Toyota Camry LE, and, yes, a Hyundai. But, since I own all three brands, at the very least, I try to be objective.
    If things are put in the right order, then I think this discussion about look-alikes makes sense. So, let me ask you, what connotations of 5-series do you see in the Accord that you haven’t in any Honda/Acura in the past?

As for Saturn L, let us take your word and park them side by side. imageimage

There are few design elements in common, the creases and the upward tapering of the tail lamps. But, I’m not sure what similarity do you find in the profile. There is more in common to that aspect in this Accord to 1998-2002 Accord except for the higher front.

Back to the crease, 2008 Accord isn’t the first Honda/Acura to have it. This one closely mimics 2004+ TL in that regard, while others used a different design (CL, older TL, 1998-2002 Accord, 2003+ Accord, 2004+ TSX, 1996+ Civic, early 90s Legend and so on). In all cases, believe it or not, Honda has wrapped the crease around (I can bet you haven’t noticed it). In a few cases, above the tail lamp/license plate (as is the case with 2008 Accord) and in most cases thru the license plate (even 1998 Accord has it).

What you see in the 2008 Accord is also seen in Audis and Mercedes. Are you now saying they too copied Saturn? How do you establish who copied who? The best one can do is go back generations and see the evolution. Try it.
  • ykangykang Member Posts: 88
    I think the definition of Korean copy is more along the lines of copying the look. For example, take the new Elantra. Do you see a strong resemblance to VW Jetta’s rear? Or, is that style somehow an evolution of older Hyundai design?

Keep believe what you want to believe!!!

:sick:
    Since you missed it, that was a question. I could post pictures to help, but we're already "off topic".
  • brunnabrunna Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for your impressions. I have not written it off yet, as I said I love Honda products. My 94 was just lighter on its feet, reminiscent of my 89 Integra, maybe that's what I miss. But alas, I have grown since then (now 6'2", 225) and my family has grown (3 young boys), so maybe the extra room isn't a bad thing.

Coincidently, I replaced the speakers in my 94 with Eclipses all around, added a JBL sub in a box in the trunk with an additional amp, because the soundstage and low end from the stock system was awful. I pretty much have replaced all the stereos in my cars (including a 99 Infiniti I30 with the Bose system) until I ran into the new odd-sizing and custom dash mounts that car companies, including Honda, are doing now. It infuriates me that I would have to lose the integrated look of the original dash, so I was glad that the 08 system was a step in the right direction at least.

Now I am pondering stepping up in class to the new CTS. I didn't get to drive it, but the interior is simply to die for. Cooled seats! You kidding me! Why didn't they do that years ago? And the HUGE sunroof - NICE!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Cooled seats! You kidding me! Why didn't they do that years ago?

The Navigator did do that years ago! ;)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can get it on a Toyota Avalon too. Lincoln MKZ. Others.
    Yes, but didnt the Navi have them first, out of under $70k vehicles? I cant remember how long that concept has been around.
  • malcolmrmalcolmr Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for this model and will appreciate advice from other buyers in North Carolina for the dealership with least hassle and best value.

Additionally, I have a 2000 Accord SE with about 93000 miles. Is it best to trade or try to sell on my own?

Thanks.
    I would recommend trying to sell on your own first.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I'm having problems getting the voice activation to set up in my 08 Accord. Anyone else having issues? I can't get it to stay on long enough for me to finsih saying the # as well as understanding my commands.
    Did you mean bluetooth?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    Frankly, I only care if it looks good on it's own, and not what cars it resembles from certain angles.

I also saw what I think is my first one on the road, in an owners hands. Looked pretty sharp. Same silver as my '05, but it looked a lot nicer (classier/more expensive or something).

FOr the trunk, it is quite likely they only have 1 trunk lid stamping, so you likely could buy one and put it in. Or, maybe try some type of Dynamat (sp?) I know they have sound insullation for under carpets, etc. Maybe that would work?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    My dealer is slowly getting a bigger lot of 08 accords, that good! But, I have not seen any of them move since they have arrived. Only about a few have had a "sold" on them. Thats it! Also, I laugh at it, because those that are buying them, are more than likely paying top dollar for them. Although I have seen deals on the forums, but it is not typical.

I think once, they have a full lot, and the newness wears off a bit, it'll get much better. Dealers are drooling all over these. They see $$$ signs! Honda, needs to get these cars moving, if they want to promote them, make quota! They better not wait too long to offer an incentive. Dealers need to realize that too, when they sell a car, and its out on the road, its a like a advertisement sign, bringing others in. They need to get their stock rotating. The 08's sitting on the lot is not gaining them any profit, but getting something for them helps. I am totally going to wait til next spring, when lease numbers are better!
  • dairyshickdairyshick Member Posts: 129
    Any talk of them putting the manual transmission back into the V6 Sedan in the next year or two? I'm still years off from a new car, but if they decide to go back to that again, I think it would be a no-brainer as my next purchase.

What would be even cooler is if they ever came out with an Accord Si. I doubt it would ever happen because it would chew too much into the TL and TSX, but there's always hoping!
  • 06nighthawkv606nighthawkv6 Member Posts: 55
    Let the new 08s that are collecting dust(and water) on the lot sit on the lots and rot so the dealership can take the hit especially when 2008 rolls around and the re-designed 09 TL and TSX will be coming up... Who cares about ugly Honda Accord sedan and coupe...Honda didn't step up and make the Accord extreme enough, both in looks and powertrain so that is why they are not moving, not because there is some newness factor that people can't get over. The style is not original and the powertrain, although great against maybe GM, is only average for Honda especially due to the fact that the outgoing 244 hp J30 performs the same as the new 3.5 liter 268 hp. Ohh, and noone can see "Ace structure" to really give a hoot! All they need to know is ACE is why their Honda is so ugly and remember Americans are the most shallow. That and "Honda didn't "step up" due to Acura TSX and the TL. duh.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Maybe they are concentrating on getting rid of 2007s for now. Many people are going to the dealers and "looking" at the 2008s, so buyers are there for the right price.
  • jamese777jamese777 Member Posts: 18
    "Maybe they are concentrating on getting rid of 2007s for now. Many people are going to the dealers and "looking" at the 2008s, so buyers are there for the right price."

Taking a look at the "Prices Paid and Buying Experience" thread is informative on a car that has been out for a month! Most people aren't interested in being early adopters and will wait for the newness to wear off a bit to get a better deal. That's what I'm doing.
    Honda didn't step up and make the Accord extreme enough,

Remember my friend, the more extreme you get, the more polarizing you get (extreme designs that come to mind are when BMW first introduced the current 7-series sedan, and Scion's xB). Some may love it, but some will HATE it. I'd guess more people buy the Accord based on its actual attributes and reputation than its styling. Honda chose to try not to disgust people with overstyling and instead chose a more reserved design that will age better and attract buyers rather than distract them. To me, the TL is starting to look a little tired; sort of how the first-gen CTS is getting.

I'd bet more people would be alienated by a radical design than would buy the thing.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    If you think the Accord is ugly,look at the Camry!!
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    thegraduate,

Thank you for responding to that post. I don't think I could have been that nice. While I expect to read things on this forum that are not true, this one takes the cake:

Honda didn't step up and make the Accord extreme enough, both in looks and powertrain so that is why they are not moving

I laughed for five minutes after I read that. What would be the over/under on the number of Accord buyers that are looking for an extreme looking car. My guess is 4.

From Webster's online dictionary

extreme = 1. Of the greatest possible degree or extent or intensity; "extreme cold"; "extreme caution"; "extreme pleasure"; "utmost contempt"; "to the utmost degree"; "in the uttermost distress".

2. Far beyond a norm in quantity or amount or degree; to an utmost degree; "an extreme example"; "extreme temperatures"; "extreme danger".

3. Beyond a norm in views or actions; "an extreme conservative"; "an extreme liberal"; "extreme views on integration"; "extreme opinions".

4. Most distant in any direction; "the extreme edge of town".

<
    Let me tell you something. You got it ALL WRONG. The 08 Accord sedan *is* the polarizing radical design that is doing exactly that: polarizing long-time Honda Accord nuts.
    Ok buddy... I think I'm through responding to ya. Arguing design is pointless.
    Well actually if you think about it, it's not since I am telling you that noone thinks the Accord re-design is worth a pack of peanuts. If it was, it would have an 'A' on the emblem. Heck my 06 Accord looks more "Acura" then this beast they call the 08 Accord.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Honda didn't step up and make the Accord extreme enough, both in looks and powertrain so that is why they are not moving

How do you know they're not moving? Have you seen the Honda sales reports? If so, post your sources. If not, I'll assume you don't have any.
    Well actually if you think about it, it's not since I am telling you that noone thinks the Accord re-design is worth a pack of peanuts

Must have taken a long time to survey millions upon millions of people. I, for one, like the exterior design. Moreso than the 03-07 models. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who likes it, either.

That broad statement is completely untrue, in other words.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    I am at retiring age and am not interested buying the Accord '08 V6 Coupe. But its new design looks AWESOME. It looks bold and stands out of the crowd significantly. Bigger tires, everything inside and outside are great. I like it a lot.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    If you want to impress people with your car's "looks", get an Acura (or anything else you find attractive). My car doesn't have to impress anyone but me. All I want is what the Accord is (and always has been). A nice family sedan that does everything very well.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    You just don't get it,man. We buy them because they are Accords. The look of the car is not of paramount importance to many of us.
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Member Posts: 55
    The new '08 Accord finally makes my list by addressing the biggest short coming for my priorities in prior Accords -- the lack of rear seat legroom. The Accord goes from essentially worst in class to one of the best in class. It's always been a drivers car and reliable but some of us need the second set of doors for adults and the prior versions were just to small aft of the B pillar.

As for styling the back end seems more successful than the front end. The dash takes the almost perfection of the '07 and makes it a bit fussier. But none of this is a real handicap. In a class not known for standout styling the '08 Accord is at least handsome. I'm waiting to see a new Malibu in person, but with the possible exception of the Malibu, the Accord now has class-leading styling too.

The very things I like about the new Accord -- it's new found size -- may alienate others, but it recognizes the expectations for the class have grown. Those that like the original Accords may be better served by the new Civic and the original Civic scale is now the Fit.

Assuming Honda can avoid the growing pains Toyota experienced with the new Camry, the Accord should be a pretty risk free choice for those seeking a family four door sedan.
    1/3 of an inch was all it took for it to make THAT much difference to you? 42.6(f)/36.8(r) in the 2007. 42.5(f)/37.2(r) in the 2008.

Personally, I drive a 2006 Accord, and can sit behind myself. I'm 6'4".

The new car is much wider, but didn't gain much appreciable legroom.
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Member Posts: 55
    I should have said backseat room, not just legroom. And yes the difference is significant in the new car for realistic long distance comfort.
    Personally, I drive a 2006 Accord, and can sit behind myself. I'm 6'4".

The new car is much wider, but didn't gain much appreciable legroom.

I drive a 2006 and when I sat in the 2008, all I saw was unusable wider interior space which, although it gave it an airy feeling (so does my 2006, no appreciable gain), didn't do much to make it feel bigger(or use any more space). Now that you say it didn't gain much rear legroom, I would have to say ACE and pedestrian standards have ruined the design of 2008 Accord. Again, it got bigger(and uglier) due to ACE and nothing else which is pointless if you are an Accord. The point is, before you total a car, you have to deal with an elongated hood and more lines then the Golden girls and after you total a car, you actually can't use it no more so what's the point.
    Sometimes measurements don't tell the whole story since standard measurement points are used, which may or may not coincide with how a person actually sits in the car.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    Im having trouble getting the bluetooth to understand my commands when trying to enter phone #'s. Anyone had this issue?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    My passengers have commented not just about the amount of hip and leg room they have but about the ease of entry and exiting the vehicle. The doors have been made large enough for people of all sizes to easily exit or enter the car. As the owner of the vehicle I'm pleased with this but have been parking quite far from any other vehicles as my passengers are either large or elderly and I know eventually someone is going to fling the door open into an adjacent vehicle.
    and after you total a car, you actually can't use it no more so what's the point.

The point would be that you may still be able to drive again instead of being paralyzed or killed, due to this much stronger structure (as I've come to understand it).
    When does this happen? Sometimes, having moonroof open makes it difficult for my bluetooth (in TL) to recognize my voice.
    Automakers like Honda don&#146;t let form rule function. I would rather have a safer car that compromises looks for it than one that looks good but couldn&#146;t care less about safety. And with ACE, Honda went further. It isn&#146;t just about the occupants anymore.

1995 Acura Legend was bigger (on the outside but smaller inside) without ACE, and definitely sleeker. But, it won&#146;t hold a candle in terms of safety. But to debunk ir appreciate ACE, you have to first understand it. Do you?
This discussion has been closed.