Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    How in the world did you come up with that?
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    Replying to: blufz1 (Oct 27, 2007 4:50 pm)
    How in the world did you come up with that?

..around these parts - - - the expression is SWAG.........

best, ez..
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I concur.

And here's mine...

30/43

:)
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Alchemy
  • stuartflstuartfl Member Posts: 14
    The interior and exterior on my 08 EX is perfect. I have nothing to bring it back for except the first oil change. I can't say that about any American car I bought. In the case of my last Chevy, I had a full page of defects that had to be corrected. This is a bogus review and I think this guy either works for GM or Ford or is on their payroll to write a hit piece.
    I said it before on this forum, I am very impressed with this Accord. It is quieter and more comfortable than my 06 Pilot and much nicer than the 05 Camry I just sold.
  • mcpdjohnmcpdjohn Member Posts: 44
    I agree with you. I have an 08 EX-L that has been nothing but perfect so far. I thought I heard my first rattle from the rear, but it turned out to be the stuff I had put in the trunk! The car is so quiet there better not be any rattles, or you will hear them. I have observed a number of people on this board who have "an axe to grind" with this car. My suggestion to them is go buy something else if you really think this car is so bad. Why settle for number one in quality when you can shoot for a higher number? There are plenty of savvy consumers around who will filter out the "stealth bomber posts" and snap up the 08 Accords.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    MSN's "picky" automobile critic JAN comments about the '08 Accord (especially the V6) as "one the best sedans in the world". I am surely buying a '08 Accord V6 EX-L w/ Navi soon. Can't resist it.
    Hi Viet, Sounds like you're getting close to buying that car. Did you ever find a better deal in socal than the 500 over invoice that I got?
    Mcpdjohn:

Not yet. Please send me email at VIETSI2002@yahoo.com to give me the dealer name. Thanks a lot.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I saw a red coupe EX yesterday, and let me just say "WOW!!"
    It is truly amazing, beautiful! It looks so expensive, the tag said $24+, and that is not bad at all. I so want the sedan, for the 4 doors, but hey, We only live once right. I want the leather, and navigation. I am so entertaining getting the coupe this time. It is going to be a tough decision! I would almost get the red EX, but I want to get the navi, and leather, so I'll wait awhile, when the have a more plentiful stock. They need to include the red for the sedan!! and the belize blue pearl! I am getting pretty excited, but lease numbers are not hot right now. WOW!
    Yes, the '08 COUPE looks fabulous. Unluckily, as a ("dirty") old man I should buy the sedan instead. I am crazy with the '08 V6 EX-L w/ navi.
  • ahsanman99ahsanman99 Member Posts: 28
    I agree with you too.dont even pay attention to these bull crap that these looser people has to say about the best car on the planet"HONDA ACCORD".Long live Hondas,and Long live Accords.check It out."WWW.HONDABEAT.COM".Click on High milage club on the left side of the page.And on Emunds.com,they posted a honda civic with more than 9300000 miles and still gonig.And there are thousands of hondas with definately 250k and more.Its normal for these cars.I owned about seven honda accords in past with 250k miles to 500k.And that we are talking about origanal Motor and origanal tranny.I would go and buy any honda with 250k miles on it then buying any american junk with 90k miles on it.which includes all junky chevy,ford,chrysler crap.I simply trust honda more even with more than 250k.
  • bwilliams4bwilliams4 Member Posts: 4
    I recently test drove a 2008 Honda EX-L V6. I was surprised with the amount of tire/road noise which is in excess to my other owned vehicles - Acura TL-S, Camry SE, Maxima SE and even Mazda 3S that I own. I plan to drive another Accord to see if perhaps the tires may have been under/over inflated or something as I cannot believe that it is so noisy. Any similar experiences?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, some people say Honda products do not have good suppression of road noise.
  • carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know anything about adding a remote car starter to the Accord? I am looking at putting one into my new Accord, but do not want the starter sold by Honda. The range is terrible, so I would like one with 2000ft range. Astrostart is a brand we used in the past with great luck.

Anything I need to know specifically to the Accord about the non-factory starters? Anyone have one? What type, costs, etc etc

Thanks!
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Honda builds their vehicles to be relatively fuel efficient. Then people put in remote starters, so that they can have their vehicle idle for five or more minutes (either heating up or cooling down) wasting fuel and adding pollution to the air unnecessarily.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Whoever installs this remote start better know what they are doing. If it interferes with the immobilizer system, you could be caught dead in the water.
    An electric heating element for instant heat in winter would be more efficient that idling your car for 10 minutes before hopping in.
    Trying to cool down your car that's parked in the sun with the windows closed is a big waste also. To cool down a car that's been frying in the summer sun, you need to open all the windows and exhaust all the super-heated air first.
    To cool down a car that's been frying in the summer sun, you need to open all the windows and exhaust all the super-heated air first.

Which is why the remote window-roll-down feature is one of my favorite creature comforts of my Accord.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Why do you want to start your car 1/3 of mile away?
    I live in North Dakota where temperatures can regularly fall much below zero. Starting your car a few minutes before departure is not only a convenience, but also a near necessity to keep your car running well throughout the winter. Also, with Honda's remote start, I would be nearly standing in front of my car to "remote" start it, which does not seem "remote" enough. 2000ft means my wife can start it while she is inside the grocery store, and actually get some use out of the remote start feature.
  • thomasr1950thomasr1950 Member Posts: 76
    I've had mine 08 EXl/navi for a week now. I have not noticed any excessive noise. I had a 04 Maxima, Accord seems quiter to me.
    I have an 08 Accord with the Michelin tires that some people claim are noisy. I think the tires are no louder the Michelins I have on my 2 Toyotas. One reason the tires may seem relatively loud on certain road conditions is that the car itself is very quiet. I believe Michelin is the best brand of tire you can buy, and thats the only brand I buy.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I don't understand why you presume that "I would be nearly standing in front of my car to "remote" start it, which does not seem "remote" enough." As you can see here http://tinyurl.com/2q8pcx the Honda remote has a 200 foot range.

Wouldn't an engine block heater and an extension cord http://tinyurl.com/326ofn be best for parking at home or work?

You wrote "my wife can start it while she is inside the grocery store". Even in North Dakota, she'd have to be on an extended shopping spree for the engine to cool down enough for a restart to be of much concern.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    In that review, Mark Phelan said:

The Accord achieved fuel economy ratings of 21 m.p.g. city and 31 m.p.g. highway in EPA tests. Those figures, and its combined rating of 24 m.p.g., put the Accord squarely in the middle of its competitive set for fuel economy.

I did a little looking at the Accord's competitors(excluding Hybrid's). These are all 4 cyl. automatics. 2008 models. Also, all but the Passat have less HP than the 190 in the Accord EX I4, in some cases, considerably less.

Nissan Altima 23/31 = 54
    Honda Accord 21/31 = 52
    Toyota Camry 21/31 = 52
    Saturn Aura 22/30 = 52
    Chevy Malibu 22/30 = 52
    Kia Optima 21/31 = 52
    Dodge Avenger 21/30 = 51
    Chrys Sebring 21/30 = 51
    Hyundai Sonata 21/30 = 51
    Ford Fusion 20/29 = 49
    Mazda6 21/28 = 49
    Mitsu. Galant 20/27 = 47
    VW Passat 19/28 = 47
    Subaru Legacy 20/27 = 47

Sorry About my pathetic columns

I wouldn't exactly call that "squarely in the middle", but then, my check is not signed by the same people that sign Mr. Phelan's. OTOH, they're all so close, who really cares.

Footnote - I'm willing to give Subaru a break on their numbers given that you get AWD with the Legacy. Also, I had never really looked at the Legacy, but I think it looks quite nice. :)
    The Subie's reason for low MPG is almost excusable (AWD standard across all Subarus). With the exception of the Altima, the Accord is unbeaten for fuel economy.

It just shows that some people don't do their homework when writing articles for print.
    200ft range is not enough for most situations. Good enough for home, but not work or any other instance most likely.

An extension cord would work for home in the mornings, but that is the only time basically.

Letting your car sit at the mall for the afternoon in 10below weather will cause to the car to be a little cold. Maybe the engine itself will be ok in that situation, but my wife wouldn't be.

The remote start is not only a necessity, but also a luxury. I want my wife to have the luxury of jumping inside a warm car every morning and every time she gets back in at night.
    Range might be for safety reasons, just like remote locking is. In case of Honda, if you unlock doors and don't open one of them within 30s (or 15s, can't remember which), it will re-lock.

Perhaps they could have you do it from 1000 ft and leave it open as long as you want it to, but the problem is, what would reduce the chance of someone, uninvited, getting in car?

I'm also wary of remote starts as it increases the chance of a running car in a closed garage. It could be kids doing it, or people by mistake. Besides, doesn't it also defeat the purpose of having immobilizer? Or does it have additional safety built-in? (in that, someone manages to get in but can't drive off).
    The unfortunate thing about these fuel economy discussions is that there is a strong tendency to base them off EPA ratings. Based on my observations, a simple tweaking of transmission logic seems to be the key to achieving higher EPA ratings than some of the cars are capable of achieving. Since most of EPA’s test cycles involve maximum speed below 40 mph, combined with the fact that Honda isn’t one of the companies that takes the “tweak the transmission logic” route, their numbers tend to be more realistic and the cars have the potential to do much better than EPA ratings suggest.

But I don’t expect these so called auto reviewers to know all that. Most of their points tend to be opinion, and many times even that is flawed. The least I expect them to know is that EPA ratings couldn’t care less about engine’s power rating either. All cars in EPA’s world are equal when it comes to performance. But it is transmission logic that makes the difference and a big reason for many people not meeting their rated EPA fuel economy, even the new rating which seems to be the case with my GF’s new RAV4.

Another issue is that the new EPA rating has actually brought the numbers closer (higher mileage cars are now closer to lower mileage cars).
    There are a few kind of road surfaces that those Michelins don't like (but same can be said of most tires, actually). But otherwise, the noise issue does seem to be a bit exagerrated. While Accord has slightly more transmittal, it is likely due to greater mechanical linkage too. This is pretty much the difference between a directly linked manual transmission versus DBW systems, in former one can literally feel the vibration while the other smooths things out. I would rather have the former for greater connection with the car and the road and that is something Accord gets over most of its competition.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I owned a 2003 Taurus with a remote starter that had a range in excess of 2,000 ft. It worked well up to that range and yes it does have additional anti-theft & safety features built in. If the car had been remotly started if the brake is touched, which you would have to do to engage the auto transmission, the car would shut down, also when remotly started if someone were to try to open the hood the car would shut down. If accidently started the engine would shut down in 20 minutes. As much as I used and enjoyed the benefits of the remote starter, I'm still on the fence whether I'll install one in my 08 Accord EX-L V6, which seems pretty quick to get up to temp, but I've yet to experience a zero degree morning with it. In reality I never let it warm up long enough to do a full windshield defrost in the winter, I used it more in the summer to cool the car for a couple of minutes so that it wouldn't be sweltering when I got in. The Accords feature of remotly opening sun roof and windows may be enough but I won't know until next summer.
  • iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    I read in an older post that honda would be offering bluetooth as a stand alone acessory . Was this just a rumor?
    Economically is the navigation and bluetooth worth the extra dollars?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Here are the generally favorable NY Times reviews:

NYT sedan

NYT coupe
  • jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    I want my wife to have the luxury of jumping inside a warm car every morning and every time she gets back in at night.

That's commendable...but the experts warn that an engine should not idle for more than a minute without driving on.
    generally favorable NY Times reviews:

Probably the only thing I've read in the NYT that seems believeable. :(

Thanks for the link.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    jack47 - you mention that "the experts warn that an engine should not idle for more than a minute without driving on." I have often wondered about this issue (due primarily to my in-laws' propensity to idle their pickups for 1-2 hours at a time during cold weather) and wanted to know if you can cite us to any articles or information on the subject? Thanks!
    For one, I think having read this in my 1998 Accord's Owner's Manual, Honda recommends not over-idling. In fact, for no more than 30 seconds, as driving the car warms it up faster than idling does. It is also helps engine run cleaner.

So, for ten years and almost 183K miles, typical idling has been for about 10-15 seconds, followed by low speed driving and it is warm within a quarter mile. It takes a little more in winter but not much. However, if you've to wipe off ice, then it is a whole another issue.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,700
    Don't know about a reference, but extended cold-weather idling doen't let the oil to warm fully, allowing gas and water vapor in the blowby to accumulate in the oil, reducing its lubricating qualities. My BIL's car had oil you could light with a match!
    Yes, it is damaging for the car, but the person just doesn't want his wife to experience coldness and doesn't care about anything else.
    To achieve this goal, she will need to have two assistants with torches to keep her warm as she walks outside between the mall stores and the parking lot to the car in winter.
    Another thing to note is that it may be illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running. This seems to be true in some states, including Wyoming and Maryland.
    Well, it'll also serve to make worsened winter fuel economy even lower.

On 10-20 degree days, I crank my car, put on my belt, adjust the radio, and away I go. 15 seconds of idling or so tops. The best way to warm a cold engine is to drive moderately/lightly (don't rev more than halfway to redline).
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    Isn't it true that one of the advantages of synthetic oil is better "flowability" when cold (ie. immediately after winter starts)and therefore better lubricating ability when cold? Would this also alleviate some of the harmful effects of extended idling with a cold engine?
    I'm not the expert on oil. I use regular dino juice, and don't idle for long. Someone else may know more than I though.
    It might alleviate the oil issue, but the point remains, why overidle? On the few and far between snow/icy days here in Texas, I will start the car, scrap the snow, put de-icer on, get in and start driving. The car warms up much more quickly that way.
    On the few and far between snow/icy days here in Texas, I will start the car, scrap the snow, put de-icer on, get in and start driving. The car warms up much more quickly that way.

And more efficiently. Even if you're going 20 MPH, that beats the mileage you'd get idling (0MPG).
    I read somewhere that for each hour worth of idling reduces 33 miles. To be a lot more practical let us assume that loss to be 20 miles.

Over a typical tank, I generally cover about 360 miles and refueling takes about 14 gallons after ten hours worth of driving (using numbers from my TL since I get to see my average speed and total time from the trip computer). With 50-50 city/hwy split, that amounts to 180 miles at 65-70 mph (let us assume 67.5 mph average speed), and the remaining 180 miles at 35 mph (although it ranges from 30 to 45 mph) and ignoring stops. So, 160 minutes on highway plus 310 minutes on city streets implies about 130 minutes being spent idling. For that matter, let us even ignore another 10 minutes to round the numbers off. We’re looking at 2 hours worth of idling.

At 20 miles lost per hour (idling), this implies that simply driving would have taken those 14 gallons further, to 400 miles. The car’s mileage would have been almost 2 mpg better at 28.6 mpg. In other words, those two hours spent idling equate to 10% loss in my observed fuel economy!
    to know if you can cite us to any articles or information on the subject? Thanks!

From the internet...

Myth #1: "The engine should be warmed up for long periods prior to driving."

Reality: Idling is not an effective way to warm up your engine, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. With today's modern engines, you need no more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days before starting to drive.

Myth #2: "Idling is good for the engine."

Reality: Excessive idling can actually damage engine components, including cylinders, spark plugs, and the exhaust system.

Myth #3: "Shutting off and restarting the vehicle when it's stopped is bad for the engine and uses more gasoline than if you leave it running."

Reality: Frequent restarting has little impact on engine components. Component wear caused by restarting the engine is estimated to add $10 per year to the cost of driving, money that will likely be recovered several times over in fuel savings from reduced idling.

Idling Facts:

Fact #1: Idling wastes fuel and money. Every 10 minutes of idling costs you at least 1/10 of a liter of wasted fuel. Keep in mind that every liter of gasoline produces 5.4 pounds of carbon dioxide.

Fact #2: Idling contributes to global warming. Vehicle idling can have a powerful effect on the outdoor air quality at the local and community level.

Fact #3: Diesel and gasoline exhausts contain more than 40 hazardous pollutants. Idling your vehicle with the air conditioner on can increase emissions by 13 percent.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Honda builds their vehicles to be relatively fuel efficient. Then people put in remote starters, so that they can have their vehicle idle for five or more minutes (either heating up or cooling down) wasting fuel and adding pollution to the air unnecessarily.

It's not unnecessary---it's personal preference. When you live in the hot heat, I like to blow the a/c for 15 minutes before I get in. Sure I pay for more gas, but to me it's worth it.

Honda sells remote starters themselves, I'm sure that they have engineered the Accord to function well with them meaning the engine won't be damaged from "overidling". Plus, I always use fully synthetic oil so I'm sure that the lubrication level is where it needs to be.

Python sells a remote start that works as far as one mile away. So that should meet the 2,000' requirement you were looking for.

http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/products/950.html

You should be able to get it installed at circuit city and they have the hardware necessary to get around the Immobilizer. It's not a big deal.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    I read in an older post that honda would be offering bluetooth as a stand alone acessory . Was this just a rumor?

No,it's a fact:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_accord_4dr_accessories/2008_accord_electr- onics.htm
    Something I've noticed is that rolling down the windows does a world of good for getting superheated air from the cabin. The best part is that I don't have to use fuel to do so, just press the unlock button twice, holding down on that second press and presto- hot air escapes, giving me a solid 20 degree head start most of the time when the outside temp is 90+.

Running the A/C on a hot day into a hot car isn't going to be nearly as effective as when the car is actually moving
This discussion has been closed.