Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    AutoCar UK had a long term (40K miles) Accord Tourer Diesel. They averaged 36 mpg in overall driving. Not bad actually, as it is was 30% better than they averaged from 2.4/gasoline version. But, no 60 mpg. 52 mpg is Accord's fuel economy rating under the British standard (and imperial gallons), in mixed driving. I can see folks getting low 40s on highway (the EPA rating may be lower) when it does arrive.
    People expecting 62.8 mpg might be up for a rude awakening when the reality strikes. Here is something to look for in the article.
    - Did it mention that the mileage rating is based on a completely different fuel economy standard?
    - Did it mention that the mileage rating is based on a gallon that is different from the gallon used in the USA?

If the answer to either is yes, then I will eat my words and will take the first of many steps to believe that the American Accord will indeed get that kind of mileage.

BTW, if Accord Diesel gets 62.8 mpg, then Civic 1.8 gets 52.3 mpg and Civic Hybrid gets 65.7 mpg. These are all highway ratings in UK (last two with automatic transmission, Accord's is with manual as that is the only transmission currently offered with diesel in Europe).
  • def56def56 Member Posts: 6
    Problem with ipod was a bad cable from Radio Shack. Brought the pricy cable sold by Best Buy and it works great.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The 62.8 is using the UK gallons. It is supposed to convert to around 52 US.
    Maybe you got a mono cable. I bought a stereo cable at RS and it worked fine.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    There's a whole forum, with 28 pages containing 531 posts, about the Accord Diesel here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef28c16/530!make=Honda&model=Accord&ed_ma- keindex=.ef28c16
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    To those with the new 08 Accord EX-L with NAVIGATION,

Do you feel that the navigation is worth having? Is it worth the extra $2k?

When I decide to move on a 08 Accord, Should I get it?

Please let me know, there is no sense in me getting it, and it not be worth the luxury.

:)
    You and I know that, but the article you quoted doesn't seem to care about it.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I love my Garmin, and it today it doesn't cost 1/10th of the cost of Honda's system. It isn't voice activated, or nearly as fancy though. Having a Nav system is VERY useful for rerouting around traffic jams, looking for a Dairy Queen in the middle of Arkansas (did that a few months back!), or just knowing your average speed, max speed, ETA, and miles to go before destination. Really handy for $130. The Honda system has more frills, but its WAY more system than I need.
    It depends on whether having it integrated is worth $1500 more to you than a portable gps with bluetooth or do you really need GPS at all.
    It gets even more expensive if the only reason you are getting the EXL trim is because you can't get nav on the lower trims.
    You said "luxury," so cost isn't the priority for luxury items, If you want it as a luxury, rather than for a practical need then it might be worth it.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    folks,

how is the fidelity of the xm radio in the new accord? reason i ask is because i have factory xm in my g35 coupe and the sound stinks! i might be getting an accord come late spring so was just wondering. thanks for any info...
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    It is not as good sounding as playing a CD. I seldom move the audio tone controls from their center positions when playing a CD and I feel the sound is great. When listening to XM I have to really pump the bass and mid range up as it sounds very weak.
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    In my EX L V6 the sound on XM is excellent, I am in the NJ area.
  • jaw407jaw407 Member Posts: 6
    My father just bought a 2008 Accord. He noticed a flicker in the front headlights. It seems to happen a second after taking his foot off the gas. The local dealership could not find anything and dismiss the problem. Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix?
    It is normal to an extent, i believe it is the fan or a system that is kicking on and off periodically. My 06 does this, it is just a faint flicker on dim in the lighting, but it happens so fast, that it is like a second in time. It has done this since new, so I am not worried about it, it seems normal, and really I never thought it wasn't normal, I just observed it. If it is doing it more abruptly, than perhaps your car is having a problem, but it probably doing the same as mine. Mine is when the car is on, but I have no control over it.

Just watch it for awhile, and see what happens.
  • sr1945sr1945 Member Posts: 38
    Nav systems are Luxury items, but that is one of the top reasons I got the 08 Accord Auto Nav EX-L besides the Leather, and nice fake wood trim and console.

Took a trip immediately, and had a map on the seat next to me as a back up, and turned on the NAV to see if any glitches developed. Not a one, and was I very impressed that the Female Nav voice guided me to the exact Hotel a few hundred miles away and never once did I have any missteps.

When needing a guide to a intersections turn, it would tell you to prepare for the turn from a few miles away, a half mile away, etc, not having to watch the screen, which was impressive so as not to miss the turn.

Had to make sure the audio voice was turned up if the windows were down, or radio on, but this was not an issue.

I liked the added miles per gallon reading for the trip computer function that the Civic 07 model I had did not have as well. About only 1 mile per gallon off each fill up.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Previously, I'd say if you want nav, there's a big cost and flexibility savings with an aftermarket portable device, but I have read several stories of how those are hot items for theft, with one problem being the brackets that people often leave attached to the windshield etc. That tips off the crooks to break in and look in the glovebox for a hidden unit. So now I'm not so sure...
    Remind me, and I'll show you how I have my NAV placed in my car. It's very inconspicuous.

I'll have to take a picture, but will try and remember to do it in the next couple of days.
    Just don't tell anybody here that you drive a 2006 Accord and live in Alabama. :P
    Why? will it get stolen?? Do other places have to worry about their accords? Is it really big there?
    He's just saying that since people would then know I have a NAV in my car.

The thing is, I use it in two vehicles (both Accords). That's the joy of portable. I can change vehicles every day in 30 seconds if I wanted to do it.
    True, that would be nice, but I have been told that the honda has one of the best Nav's available.

Also, One time when I first got my car, and I went to open up my workplace, so my car was out far in the parking lot where I always park it, so it doesn't get dinged. I had a cop come in the building and asked whose car that was, and had asked if it was stolen. So that was a little bit bizarre, but not uncommon I guess. I am sure, if I left it unlocked and running somewhere in downtown chicago or big city, it would be gone.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    Had a couple of inches of snow and freezing rain to deal with today. My driveway is slightly pitched uphill but the EX-L V6 handled that and everything else that today's weather threw at it. Others had told me the Michelin tires leave a lot to be desired in winter weather, but my first impression, at least in this small storm, has been favorable.
    I have had no problems with Michelin's on my car, It drives pretty good in the snow. It kept its composure quite well. I have 06 accord and I was impressed that it did really well in the snow last year when we got over a foot of snow. I think they do fine, and really, I would pick any other tire, they wear so well. The 08 might handle a bit better because of the bigger size and stance.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    It's not just the wonderful navigation capabilities, but the complete integration. It understands your voice commands for control of the heating, ventilation & air conditioning system, the audio system, navigation system, etc.

I have the OEM navigation system in my 2004 Accord, but since I have a pocket sized Garmin nüvi 350 that we'd been using in my wife's old car, I decided not to get the OEM system in our 2008 Accord. I'm fine with it for a $1,700 savings, but it surely would have been nice to have in both Accords.
  • jettasonjettason Member Posts: 4
    I'm having real difficulty finding a manual transmission EX-L in anything but black if I want the Ivory interior. Anyone have any suggestions? One dealer says that he sees one on scheduled to be built in a couple of weeks and would like to trade with another dealer so that it is shipped to him instead. Is that for real? or just a sales pitch? Honda doesn't have a way for consumers to find the current or planned inventory of dealerships and I'm tired of people trying talk me into color combinations I don't want. Do I have to just move on to another manufacturer? :confuse:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    One dealer says that he sees one on scheduled to be built in a couple of weeks and would like to trade with another dealer so that it is shipped to him instead. Is that for real?

That seems to be the way it works. If you are picky about the colors (interior/exterior) and transmission, you will have to wait for it to come in.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I special ordered one of these in early Oct. with the Ivory leather and plood interior, and the white exterior. I'm expecting it to come in any day now. But that means it's been a wait of 2 months. It'll be worth it, I think!

I wonder if your dealer is seeing mine...
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Another thing about built in nav is that it is usually an item that makes people buy an extended warranty because they are afraid of how much it will cost to fix if breaks out of warranty. You can get an 8 year HondaCare service contract, but can you imagine how dated and crude the factory nav will look when the car is 8 years old? Never mind worrying about the cost of repairing it.
    It will be like a tape deck is today. I wonder if people will still be using Bluetooth in 8 years from now?
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    You can get an 8 year HondaCare service contract, but can you imagine how dated and crude the factory nav will look when the car is 8 years old?

It will be like a tape deck is today. I wonder if people will still be using Bluetooth in 8 years from now?

If someone doesn't mind driving an 8 year old car, why would they care if the Nav also looks like it's 8 years old too?
    'm having real difficulty finding a manual transmission EX-L in anything but black if I want the Ivory interior. Anyone have any suggestions? One dealer says that he sees one on scheduled to be built in a couple of weeks and would like to trade with another dealer so that it is shipped to him instead. Is that for real? or just a sales pitch?

As been posted earlier, Honda has the rule of 30 for rare color/trim combinations. Apparently they require orders for at least 30 of the same color/trim level before they will run them. If you want a particular combination, you need the dealer you're working with to add that to their allocation. Once the plant knows they can ship out 30, they'll run your car along with the others and ship it to your dealer. That's why the process can take months.

Manual transmissions are usually found in the V6 coupe or in the the LX models. EX-L manuals are very rare and many dealers would not stock them as a general rule because they are apparently not in demand. Add to that your particular color choices and that explains the delay.

But if it's something you really want, it's worth the wait.
    Because 8 year old tech items like a GPS nav system is much "older" than an 8 year old car.

This is still an OK car:image
    Could drive almost as nicely as some new cars.

An older GPS unit would be like trying to use Windows 98 today.
    Actually worse than an 8 year old PC, because GPS nav technology from 8 years a go was so bad compared to today.

You will still be able to get spare parts on a 20 year old Accord, but will you be able to buy DVD map updates anymore when the nav technology is obsolete?
    In a few years you will be able to buy a nice portable nav with new features and technology that hasn't even been developed yet for less than they charge for Honda nav map DVD updates today.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Has anyone heard whether Honda will offer its diesel in the Civic, in addition to the Accord? I know the diesel(s) will also be available on certain Honda/Acura SUVs, but I'd be interested in a Civic diesel.
    If the Accord diesel is a big hit, I bet you can expect a Civic diesel by the next redesign for 2011 or 2012.
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    My new 08 coupe is my fourth Honda with navi. To me, there is no other way to go.

The total integration is seamless and just looks and works better. The bluetooth feature is great. Plus, in NY state at least, you can get a ticket for having any device that obstructs your vision. The interpretation is in the mind of the trooper. My son got a speeding ticket a couple of years ago, and the trooper piled on by writing him one for his radar detector obstructing his view. I see all kinds of devices suction-supped to a windshield, which offends my sensibilities.

Portability? My wife's Lexus has navi as well- IMO the Honda system kicks its azz.
    Portability? My wife's Lexus has navi as well- IMO the Honda system kicks its azz.

How is the Honda system any more portable than the Lexus system??? :confuse:
  • royaltyroyalty Member Posts: 27
    I have a new 2008 Accord EX-L Coupe and there is a noise coming from the back/trunk like I have something loose in the trunk. It only happens when I go over bumps with the rear tires. I tried wrapping a bungee cord around the tire jack/tool foam carrier thinking it was "bouncing" on the spare but it did not eliminate the noise. I am starting to think it is the "lift up" cover that you lift to access the spare tire. Anyone else have this problem? I think I can easily fix it with a piece of velcro holding the "flap" down but I wondered if anyone else had heard this noise.
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    Sorry, I wasn't clear.

What I should have said is that portability is not an issue, as my wife's car has navi as well.
    Oh, gotcha. :)

Portability is a HUGE plus for someone like me. In the span of one year, I will have used my Garmin in a:

2006 Accord
    1996 Accord (both Accords are mine)
    1997 Civic - Christmas Trip with Grandparents
    1997 Maxima - Trip to Atlanta with friends
    2005 Odyssey - Trip to Oklahoma City with my great-aunt

As you can see, for me, portability is one of the BEST qualities about buying aftermarket; I frequent different vehicles. The price being less than 1/6th of the built-in unit made having one a reality as well - I'd never have spent more than $500 on a Navigation system since I know how to read a map.
    I can't believe Honda didn't put traffic service in the new Honda Accord nav system. I have it on my portable and a portable with traffic is more useful and convenient to me than a built-in without traffic. This is true even though I only use the portable nav in other cars a few times a year.
    I use the portable nav daily on my commute for the traffic instead of having to listen for traffic reports on the radio.
    There other ways of mounting portable nav systems than putting them on the windshield. So, scares about tickets from ticket happy cops don't apply.
    I use mine in the console, but there are also other places it could go.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Its real. It is my understanding that a Honda dealer cannot order a specific car, but they can check allocations from every other dealer in the U.S. If another dealer has been allocated a car that you want, your dealer can have that allocation changed to their dealership if they have a customer who is willing to sign an affidavit that they will buy the car if it is in proper mechanical condition when it arrives. I was presented such an affidavit for an EX-L, MT, in the end of October. Apparently, Honda America requires the affidavit because, at some point, they had too many dealers getting all the more marketable cars by claiming they had buyers, when they didn't. According to my dealer in Denver, CO, Honda will re-allocate any car that has not left the factory upon the signing of the affidavit (I also would have had to give a $500, refundable, deposit.)

I started through this process until they offered me a deal on an automatic transmission car from their lot that I couldn't pass up. If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't :) The auto tranny is awesome for an auto tranny -- but its still an auto tranny without any gear-selection mode. If your into the driving experience and want control of your engine --- Hold out for the manual!!

Good luck!
    Jaxs

Good photo illustration! Funny.
  • carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Very sad day...my first problem with the new 08 EXL V6

Finally got cold enough to use the heater at full blast to warm up the car as we drove. At the three highest fan speeds there is a whistle or hiss that is audible. Not terrible, but definately there.

We took it in and they replaced the fan motor. Didn't solve the problem. They called Honda and they had not heard of this problem. The shop wanted to take the dash all apart and "look for the problem", but I have waited on that so far, as I don't want any new rattles from dismantling the dash.

Here is the info I have on the problem:
    Whistle or hiss to me sounds like a leak in a duct or something??
    But, it doesn't occur with AC is on, even if it is at full blast fan
    It only occurs when heat is on and above 70 degrees
    The whislte gets louder and louder from mid speed to max fan speed
    The whislte gets louder and louder from 70 degree all the way to HIGH.

Any help/advice is appreciated! Please reply in the Maintenence Section for the Honda Accord where I originally posted. I posted here too just to make sure some "super mechanic" would see it! Thanks!
    If it does it when the heat is on, it sounds like there could be a leak in the ductwork leading to the floor, not the upper-level vents.

Play around with the modes, see if it makes the noise with the heat on full blast but with the vent set to the top vents instead of the floor. See if you can isolate the problem further before the techs start dismantling your car.
    They called Honda and they had not heard of this problem.

That's the problem with buying in the first few months even if you buy a car that's a reliable brand and model.

"You are the first person to complain about this. We have never seen this before. We don't know what that is or what caused it. Maybe that's normal. Let's use trial and error replacing random parts in that area and see what happens. There are no spare parts in the warehouse to replace those for the new body style yet. They are on backorder for 6 weeks. They came in. Oops, all the replacement parts have the same defect. We'll report that to Honda and they'll have the parts vendor manufacture new ones in a few months."
  • carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Thegrad,
    Thanks for the advice. I just checked out the fan modes, and you are right, it basically does it only in floor mode. It does not make the noise when it is only blowing right in your face.

So, what the heck does that mean? There is a leak possibly in the duct of the heater to the floor vent?

Jaxs--That is basically what they told the techs at our local honda,..."never heard of this problem, etc etc" so I was leary to let them explore in my car's dash!

Although, to be the first and only one driving the all new 2008 Accord in town makes the "unknown problem" with the fan hurt less! ;)
    A whistle is usually caused by a blend door not closing completely. Think of the way you would hold your fingers in your mouth to make a loud whistle blast by exhaling violently. Same thing. Try different setting combos with the fan manually on high. I suspect you will hear the whistle go away and then come back as the blend door changes position. The other possibilty is a mismatched connection within the ductwork. If there is an opening it could cause a whistle (like a flute or recorder would make) when air is passing at high speed.
    They may be able to access the floor ductwork through the filter access panel behind the glove box. It may be a poorly attached floor duct that is whistling. If they can it will reduce the amount of dash that must be removed. I will state this - the Honda Tech had to take my dash apart to replace the navigation head unit and he did a good job putting everything back together "factory fresh".
    Also worth checking would be to see if something is obstructing the vent.
This discussion has been closed.