Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Correct. It could be the squirrel has gotten tired and is whistling Dixie! Lol

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    Motor Trend has a video review on their site, and the reviewer stated that the car had XM Nav Traffic. That was a mistake.

Honda holds that out for Acura. Hey, there has to be some reason to get you to pay an extra 10K for virtually the same car.
  • rog2867rog2867 Member Posts: 34
    There is XM traffic but it just gives you reports by city, theres no real time traffic associated with the GPS. One thing that really bothers me that I just found out is that when you use the NAV it does not announce street names. I thought this would be a basic feature of the GPS. My magellan works great announcing the street to turn on. The honda just says " turn right 200ft", which blows to me based on the price you pay. Also the blue tooth integration with the cell phone isnt that great. It works maybe 50% of the time with the call going out through the speakers. It works much better on incoming calls though. I just thought I would share those annoyances, as I have had my EX L V6 for a month now.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    You're correct, it doesn't have true "text to speech". However, it does call out the names of interstates/highways. Which makes me wonder, if it has the capability to speak certain road names then why can't/doesn't it do it for all roads? Could Honda change it so that it speaks all the road names via a DVD upgrade?

As far as the blue tooth. Mine has worked every time so far. Both with inbound and outbound calls.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Someone told me it can be set to announce the street names, but you have to go into the settings to configure that option.
    I definitely would not consider it at all if it cannot read the street names for you.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Not according to the 2008 Accord's Navigation Manual.
    I don't see that option anywhere. I have read the manual also. If anyone knows if that is an option let me know, I don't see it anywhere. I totally agree, there is no reason with all the talking that car can do why it can't announce the street name, like you said it announces the highways.
    Anyone care to bet about Text To Speech (TTS) showing up in Accords in the 2009 or 2010 model year? My shirt pocket size Garmin nüvi 350 has it.
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    There is absolutely a setting. I think it's in "routing and guidance". If you set it to the max setting , instead of "take the next right turn" it will say "take the next right turn onto main street".

My new coupe's nav, as well as the three others i've owned, does this.
    I'd appreciate your navigating me to the specific page(s) of the 148 pages in the 2008 Accord Navigation Manual that describes the ability to change the system to say "take the next right turn onto main street"
    Apparently it does have TTS. Check out page 77 in the navigation system manual. Its under "Guidance Prompts". You can select MIN., NORMAL, or MAX. The system allows you to adjust the number of guidance prompts before each maneuver. MIN. setting gives one prompt b4 a maneuver. NORMAL, which is the factory default, gives three prompts b4 a maneuver. MAX also gives three prompts, but the first two include the street name.

If if works like the manual implies, it will be cool. I'm going to try it right now and report back.
    Yes, it works. The 1/2 mile prompt and the 1/4 mile prompt include the street name, but the final prompt shortly before the turn does not include the name.

Ex. "In a half mile turn right onto Main Street". "In a quarter mile turn right onto Main Street". "Make the next right turn".

If you are traveling somewhere where the turns are occurring in less than 1/4 mile (like a neighborhood) it will only give the final prompt, which does not include the street name.

To change the setting:

1. select Setup
    2. Guidance Prompts
    3. Max
    That's great. I just don't understand why they would have buried the TTS feature there without making it very clear to the user. I also can't understand why that is not the default setting, as it is (the only and best possibility) with the higher end portable units.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Because at times people may not want too much voice guidance (or too little). So, the middle ground is the default.
    Thanks, that's a great tip, trying to remember what to say to the voice system and know all the little nuances of the thing is daunting, every little bit helps.
    "people may not want too much voice guidance (or too little)"

I've used navigation system voice guidance since December 2003, both with and without a system that speaks street names. I've yet to experience too much voice guidance. The more the merrier. Bring it on!
    Honda has to think everybody, not one extreme or another. They have given you a choice to select the extreme you want to pick, while taking the middle ground themselves. It makes sense to me. Next you might complain about the volume control of the guidance voice. :P
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Next you might complain about the volume control of the guidance voice.

Actually, I was thinking about that yesterday when I read that. How is it controlled? My StreetPilot has a handy thumb wheel to turn "Carmen" (my friend named the female voice in my GPS Carmen Garmin) louder or softer.
  • skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    Does the LX-P have manual lumbar support?
    Not sure about Accord, but in TL it is via set up.
    Thanks anyway!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,492
    saw a black coupe on the road today. Looked very sharp, and until I took a 2nd look, and noticed the badge, I thought it was something higher end and more exotic.

For some reason, from a rear 3/4 view, it reminded me of a Bentley! Not something I have ever heard about a Honda before!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• iwantoneiwantone Member Posts: 52
    Can anyone give me some advice on sedan leather interior? Which looks the best?
    I am strongly considering the polished metal with black interior? However that white diamond pearl looks stylish with the ivory leather ? I want an upscale look but actually I am a little concerned about the light color? I am a family person with kids and a dog that will be riding often . Someone help me out. I have already made my mind up on the v-6. By the way what does anyone think of the gray it seems a little light in the pictures. It seems like the black interior goes better with the polished metal color.
    "Next you might complain about the volume control of the guidance voice"

There is an adjustable control for the guidance voice volume on my 2004 Accord's setup screen.
    I have the polished metal metallic with the gray interior and it looks great. I have two kids in car seats in the back also, I have the seat protectors from onestepahed.com under them though. They have had a few accidents back there but clean up is a breeze. I think that color combo looks really sharp. My two cents.

rog
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    This really is a matter of personal preference. I have the black leather in my 08 EX-L V6 and it's holding up well over the 10 weeks I've had it. Dust shows up more on this than the white your considering, but it cleans up easily. I agree that the white has a richer look than the black but over the 5 years I tend to keep my cars I felt the black would age better.
  • gotoyotagotoyota Member Posts: 280
    Not speaking as an Accord owner but as someone who also has kids (young kids) I would say the black interior will be easiest to live with in terms still looking good, even with a "kids touch." Our Odyssey has light gray and our Sienna we bought to replace it has the tan. I would've chosen black if I could have but it's not offered. Both of those colors are pretty average for how they hold up in a family car. My Maxima has a black interior that still looks clean after 10+ years. Gets a little warm in the summer, but sure looks sharp - and it does hold up very well. If you look, there's dirt there, but it doesn't jump out at you like it does in the lighter shades. That polished metal/black interior is gorgeous and very elegant - I say get it!
    That's a good point - you do see the dust a lot more... but it does clean up easily and over time, the black seems to look better and if you get the carpet dirty, you don't have to worry about it leaving a spot that is darker than the rest of the carpet. I prefer the look of a black interior any day - just my opinion. :shades:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yes, I really like a black interior too. It would be easier to take car of. But, I have thought about getting tan interior. It looks quite nice, I wish they would give you more contrast in the sedan interior like they did in the coupe, by offering a tan with black carpet. That looks sharp. Also, I do think the black exterior would show age more over time than other colors, simply because it shows every flaw, line, swirl. Unless you are really keeping up on the finish with wax/wash. I have seen so many black cars that look horrible, because you can see all the swirl marks, and can tell they haven't put any time to the finish. Nothing worse than a black car sitting in the sun, showing all of the flaws. White, would not show as much, but seems to me it doesn't show too much natural shine like the other colors either. I am thinking of getting a black/black or Black/tan, but don't know if I want that kind of responsibility of keeping up the paint. I have silver now, so I'm spoiled with its lower upkeep. I really hate that Honda did not offer more upbeat colors.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, black colored cars look bad as the car gets older. It only looks great when the car is brand new and has no swirl marks or even dust. It can start to look bad even on cars that are less than a year old.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Yep, that is so true. You know what though... I have seen so many dealerships with those mobile car wash vendors that come to wash all the cars. I totally cringe when I see them put that stiff brush all over the finish!!! I have seen brand new mercedes, VW's that have swirl marks all over them!!! So they have not even left the lot, and they already have paint damage, you would have to get it all buffed out, and that is if you can get it all out. My point is, that they only need a good power wash, not a brush, as they haven't even hit the road. I did mention to the dealer one time about it, and they said it was totally fine, they'll wax and prepare it when you buy it. Yeah Right!

I thinking now that were talking, I won't get black.
    My Accord has gray leather, and TL has black. I will take black over gray, anyday. Too bad it wasn't an option when I got the Accord (and I wanted the TL in no other interior color but black).

There are folks who complain about black interior in warm places, but I don't see it as an issue here in Texas. Besides finding the color more appealing (and sporty), it is easier to maintain and seems more durable. To provide an idea, the steering wheel in my Accord is a darker shade of gray (matches the top of the dash). That happens to be one area that tells the age of my car. The places where I hold the steering wheel has turned black as the leather is worn down. If it were black to start with...

Same with wrinkles, especially at the corners. I think that black looks richer too, and provides a better contrast to the rest of the stuff inside. But when it comes to that, you have to go for one you feel looks good.
    How does the polished metal look with the black leather interior? I am leaning toward this color. I I don't like black cars because of swirls and dirt. The white diamond pearl looks classy, but I am thinking after awhile nicks and scratches will show up. I have a 2001 ex silver with gray cloth interior looking to upgrade.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The Tan interior is lighter,brighter,and more pleasant.
    Tan will also show dirt worse, but if you are someone who takes good care of their car, that will not matter because you keep your car clean inside.

Something to consider is tan comes with faux-wood trim, while grey and black come with aluminum-look accents.
    It's a stretch to call it a polished metal. I'm sure that's the look they were trying to simulate, but the end result is it looks like a piece of silverish-greyish plastic. I love my Mystic Green Metallic exterior. I never thought I would own a "green" car, but this finish looks different every time I see it, depending on the ambient lighting at the time. A lot of my relatives and friends sounded excited for me when on the phone I told them what I had bought for a new car, and when I told them the color was green, you could hear the enthusiasm leave their voice. But once they saw it for themselves they admitted their original dislike for a green car but liked the way Honda delivered this take on green. Of all the positive feedback I've received on the car, most came away feeling that the alleged brushed aluminum finish on the interior, looks just like what it is, a piece of plastic trying to look metallic.
    So I take it that the alumiumum looks plastic. I was wondering about that too. Does it look cheesy. I am not one to keep a car clean, my daughter is always saying that.
    Good point. Aluminum/Carbon Fiber trimmings made for a slam dunk on making the choice on black leather in the TL. If Accord had the same effect, I would do it all over again.
    I wouldn't say that it looked cheesy any more then I would say it looked aluminum. When responding to Honda's new purchase survey that must be sent to all new buyers, one question was something like "What if anything don't you like about your new Accord or would you change on your new Accord, something to that effect. And I had to think for a while before I thought of that swath of plastic that goes from door to door across the dash, so I told them it was a poor attempt at appearing metal like. The attempted theme of brushed aluminum fails on the surrounding for the auto transmission lever as well. All this is nit-picking mind you, as for the most part I feel the car appears, handles, coddles and does a very favorable impression of an entry level, say $35,000 luxury car. I'm pleased with my choice and wouldn't do anything different if I had to do it all over again.
    I agree. The silvery plastic is perhaps the only thing I would change in the upper trims of Accord. To be honest though, I haven't seen it in person, but then, I haven't liked the treatment in any car till date.

When cleaning, folks need to be extra careful around those plastics. A scratch, and it will become a permanent feature. I can't imagine a strip of real aluminum (like in the TL) being too expensive.
  • rockdoctor1rockdoctor1 Member Posts: 10
    My Polished Metal Coupe has black leather. I love the look, and I came from a 2000 Coupe with tan leather. The black shows dirt on the floor easier in my opinion, but it makes me clean it more often like it should be done. At night you can't see anything but the awesome lit dash and the center console blue glow. I'm seriously considering the interior illumination kit...

As for the polished metal, I think it is awsome. At night, it has a stealthy-covert look. In all lighting conditions, the color appears to change depending on it's surface orientation to the light source. I have an excellent pic showing what I'm talking about, but don't know how to post it. Nowhere near cheesy IMHO....
    You can upload pics to a website (like flickr or shutterfly), and post a link to it here (using the url button below) or the picture itself (using the img button).

Or, you can email to me and I will post them for you: munster1234@yahoo.com
    True, black paint does show swirl marks and minor blemishes a LOT more. My Maxima has a few spots I didn't get to quickly enough after driving through the flight path of some unidentified flying insect and the paint has some etching now as a constant reminder of the life I took. I don't necessarily recommend black for the exterior (althogh it does look sexy when new) but for me, no interior color is better than black. Whenever I clean up my Maxima, the inside looks almost as good as new.

Have any of you used that black wax - I can't remember what brand it is, but it is extremely effective at filling in swirl marks and hairline scratches, if you are like me and got seduced by the dark color and then regretted it later. I've even used it on our "midnight blue pearl" Odyssey and the finish was absolutely gorgeous when I was done. There were no swirl marks or white lines/white dots where the normal white residue settles in. I would highly recommend it for anyone who has a black car. Just FYI...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Flickr, shutterfly, etc., not necessary. :-) Everyone can upload their pics to their own CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated code to display them here. If needed, details may be found in the FAQs in the Help link at the bottom of the page.
    So from the posts I take it that the black leather interior would be better for a messy mom like myself. Polished metal sounds like the color for me. I don't want another silver honda, I want a change.The white diamond pearl probably wont look as pretty several years from now. I plan to keep it for at least 7years.
    I don't think the white will look worse. While I prefer black/dark exterior for myself, they are indeed tougher to maintain. And even scratches might show more on darker colors than on white. In fact, my TL is the first car that isn't black on the outside. It is silver (but I went for it for two reasons... wanted aluminum/carbon fiber trim inside with black leather and silver helps define TL's crisp lines better than other colors, especially dark, do).

I saw a white Accord yesterday, and it looked pretty good. I have seen polished metal a lot more than other colors, and I really liked it.
  • rockdoctor1rockdoctor1 Member Posts: 10
    "Maybe I'll get lucky..

Look behind th rear side window a">s one example...
    No. You weren't. :)

Some website might restrict you from posting pictures on the web. Try Pat's advice (I learnt something new today), or as I suggested, go flickr/shutterfly etc. :)
    Here's your car...

And it is lovely!
    iwantone,

Is there any reason that you don't just stop into your local Honda store and look at the interiors and exteriors first hand? That would be much better than just reading here.
This discussion has been closed.