Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    I understand having an outside temperature measurement; I have it on both of my cars.
    The measurements aren't accurate, so surfaces may be frozen while you're reading 33.
    The temps may have changed in the air but surfaces are frozen.
    There were small stick-on thermometers for the outside rearview mirrors which may be just as useful.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    It seems clear to me . . . . those who use their Accords to commute or live in a consistently warm climate don't need a temp. gauge and likely view it more as a luxury. Conversely, those who live in cold climates and use their cars for longer-distance travel (where the temperature can vary significantly during your trip) find it useful. Not sure much else needs to be said about the subject? [For me, my temperature gauge is an integral part of my portable, carbon-based, neuron-fired stability control. It works in close tandem with the leather-clad seat cushions which pucker nicely in that split second between the failure of the carbon-based system and the time when that little "VSC" light comes to life! :P ]
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Well,then,you've got to have it. :)
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I wanted my car with an outside temperature display, as my last few cars had had. It came with the display. I'm happy.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Huh?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    where it is all headed is hopefully toward more flexible manufacturing and therefore more flexible options ordering. and yes i know all the buzz about it's easier/cheaper/faster to package these options with those options, etc...but changes in the way cars are made should allow for more ala carte optioning in the future. the first car maker to again offer ala carte optioning will have a step up on the competition.

Then everyone would have to order their car (with only the options they want) then wait for the factory to build it and ship it to the dealership. Can you imagine the problems this would cause on the assembly line, if every car on the line is different from the previous car? Doesn't make for a very efficient assembly line. I can hear the plant manager now "OK everyone, we got a bunch of orders for Accords the last two weeks, so we'll be working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week until further notice". Then two months later it would be "OK guys, we haven't gotten many orders the past two weeks, so take the rest of the week off. We'll call you when we get some more orders". The cost for overtime pay would rise, and the workers wouldn't be happy with the constantly changing hours.

It will never work that way, IMO.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    No, there will still be many, many buyers who want to walk into a dealership and buy a car RIGHT NOW. For those folks, they would choose from a selection of cars that have already been built, preferably close to what you want. If it came with some options you didn't want, well, you live with it, because you want it NOW. Conversely, it may not have some options you want, but you're willing to overlook it because you want it NOW. That would keep the assembly line humming.

For others, who plan out their car purchases ahead of time, the ability to check off individual options so that you get the car closest to your needs/wants is a pleasure. I would have been more than happy to wait a couple months for a specific car to be built and shipped to me. Fortunately, I've never been in a situation where I need to have a new car immediately.

I remember well my first new car purchase, a 1984 Camaro Z28. There was nothing on the entire east coast that was configured the way I wanted, which was a black beauty with every single option except two - an automatic transmission, and a wiper on the back hatch, which I thought was ugly. I wasn't "confused" by all the different options, I just went down the list of options, and checked the ones I wanted, and left the ones I didn't unchecked. It was easy.

Then I waited (six weeks if I recall), eagerly anticipating the delivery.

For the rest of the folks that were happy to buy something off the lot, there were plenty available. Just nothing that I wanted.

Loved that car. Owned it for almost 20 years. It was worth the wait.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I think the production of only say 3 trim levels all configured identically is probably the main reason for superior quality of cars built in this way.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    from what i've heard some engineers say recently, ala carte optioning probably isn't that far off. but, that doesn't mean the car makers couldn't still offer option packages for quick ordering.

anyway, as an example, wouldn't it be nice if you didn't have to "take" the top line package just to get the sunroof...or the navigation system just to get bluetooth? it used to work that way...you could order almost exactly what you wanted.

anyway, i hope the car makers return to giving us more options when ordering. and from what i've read and heard, it's coming.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No dealer would want to get stuck with some oddball car that someone ordered and didn't go through with the sale.
    Wouldn't it be harder to get a good deal on a car you ordered, vs. a car off the lot? Probably negating any savings from not paying for options you don't want. My uncle always orders his cars (thinks he's special or something), but he pays extra for them because of it.
    Actually, I don't think it would be like that. A special order car doesn't sit on the lot for 2 months waiting to be sold, so the dealer's not paying interest on that car until it's sold. So he's motivated to give you a good deal. A sale is a sale.

And even if you did have to pay a bit extra, that's the age old quandary, isn't it? Pay a bit more for something you really wanted, or pay less for something that is not quite what you wanted. Like everything in life, it depends on your own personal cost/benefit ratio.
    and dealers themselves never order oddball combinations ... ;)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Someone had mentioned that they honda is no longer offering the Black on Tan for the Accord, only black/back. Is there truth to this, if so, why?
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    lol, I'll settle for some gadgets, not all. I don't need a kitchen sink in my car!
    I was wondering about that also. I just checked Honda.com and black/ivory combo is still being offered.
    I'm talking about someone who orders some oddball combination and then backs out. The dealer will be stuck with a saleproof car.
    Well, that "someone" is wrong. Honda offers both color interiors with black.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were to do that since nobody ever seems to want the ivory interiors with black cars. They are VERY hard to sell!
    Must be one of them "oddball" combinations. :P
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    Someone had mentioned that they honda is no longer offering the Black on Tan for the Accord, only black/back. Is there truth to this, if so, why?

According to Honda.com You can get black on black or black an ivory with the sedan but only black on black with the coupe.
    when i was on the web site a couple days ago building an EX-L v6 auto coupe...i could only choose the black interior colour with black exterior. however, with the blue exterior i could choose either black or ivory interior. so it appears it depends on the exterior colour...
    I believe that is correct.
    "They are VERY hard to sell! "
    So why does Honda still make them? I would think they would keep the odd balls for the customer to special order.
    Why? I don't have the answer for that except it's possible that these sell better in other parts of the country.

We do sell a few of that combo but the majority of our customers don't think a black car with a beige interior looks good.

People are funny.

The make CRV's in a "green tea" color that most people say "yuck" when they see one but others (not many) won't settle for anything else.

Awhile back I made a reference to a restaurant having liver and onions on their menu. SOME people will order that item but very few people will.

If sales decline to the point they hardly ever sell any, the next time a new menu gets printed, it'll be gone.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'd love to order a vehicle in a combination of my choice. Being tall, most loaded vehicles come with a sunroof that serves no purpose for me other than being a headrest I feel on every road imperfection. They also come with bling, bling wheels I can do without. Therefore I'm delegated to buying a lesser opted vehicle, but most of those offerings usually delete things I'd like such as side air bags, electrochromatic rearview mirror, and heated side mirrors which aren't standard everywhere yet.

I doubt dealers would be stuck with someone's custom order this day and age. I couldn't think of a factory built vehicle that could possibly be equipped as hard to sell.
    You have to remember that the car manufacturers have a lot of experience knowing what sells and what doesn't and evern they make mistakes sometimes.

The "liver and onions" car that you think wouldn't be hard to sell because YOU happen to like it could be a car that would rot on the lot.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you are going to display a picture in your post, please be sure that it fits within the text area. If it is wider than the text area (as was the one I just now had to delete), it causes several posts to be unreadable as they get pushed up under the right sidebar.

The height and width parameters to the img tag are what you need to use. If you can't do that, then please just post a link to the picture instead of displaying it.

Thanks.
    I think it looks nice too, and wouldn't really call it oddball. That was pretty much standard on 06-07, every black accord, had tan. The SE black accord, has tan as standard. I am glad that they make an EX, with black, and black cloth. But either way for me, I am getting leather this time, and both black and tan look great, but the black interior looks very sleek, younger, the tan is a bit more sophisticated, classy. The black cloth looks great, but I don't want to keep lint brushing it all the time.

I looked at a Black Accord EX-L today, black/black, and picture it with tinted windows, and perhaps a wing spoiler, it would look amazing. If I had seen a Red or Blue coupe, that would be so tempting!!

The only grip I have on the accord cloth, is on the base model, it doesn't seem as though the cloth is really tight and snug around the seat.

Now the bold biege "gold" with the tan interior is almost too much tan for me. Even making the floor carpet black would make a big contrast, nice.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Interesting that black/tan combo doesn't sell with Hondas. Go look at BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, with black exteriors. Many of them have tan or ivory (leather) interiors. The black and tan combo can be fairly popular with upscale buyers. There is no reason a black Accord would not sell with a brown interior, especially with the sedan. I can understand why the black and black combo is only available with the coupe, however.
    After 2 months of looking and having no luck finding one, I finally ordered my Alabaster Silver 6 speed Accord coupe. With the black leather interior, black tinted windows, and aftermarket 18 inch wheels, this car will look pretty sharp. Trading in my 2003 6 speed coupe and the dealer gave me a very nice trade value, and they took $2000 of the MSRP, so there are good deals to be had. Only downside is that I have to wait til mid-Feb for my car to arrive. My last 3 Hondas have been Nighthawk Black and they are hard to keep clean. So this time I am going with silver.
    Well, maybe reconsider a different color other than black, because I am crazy about keeping my car clean... basically all winter, it would look bad. I am going to see if there are other colors, that would be good, I already have silver, and it is awesome, but want to go a little different this time. The Accord sedan does leave alot to be desired, as far as color selection. It is almost frustrating.
  • bombsquadbombsquad Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the 08 accord coupe. I like it better than the sedan. My problem is that I have 3 kids (1 in a booster and 2 in carseats). My question is if I need that car as a emergancy backup car, could I squeeze a booster and 2 carseats in the back seat. Also would you recommend the MT or the AT.
  • oarsdadoarsdad Member Posts: 64
    I know this doesn't help much/any, but I can easily fit three car seats in the back of my '08 Sedan. I haven't compared the rear seat hip room spec between the Sedan and Coupe, which I would think is the pertinent dimension for car seat space. However, if the hip room in the Coupe is within an inch or two of the Sedan I think you would be fine. Only one way to know for sure, put the seats in the seat.
  • bombsquadbombsquad Member Posts: 2
    I just looked at honda.com and it looks like theres 8 in less hip room in the coupe. Outlook no so good.
    I have the black exterior with the ivory leather interior. I think it looks very sharp. True, it is hard to keep clean, but I think the new Accord looks best in darker exterior colors, specially black, and I did not want both exterior and interior black, it seemed too much, specially in the summer time, even with the tinted windows. My other car is a black Pilot with tan interior. I think that too looks very sharp. If you like the black exterior, go for it, remember, you will be looking at it for years to come and don't want to regret your decision!
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Transmission question:

You asked whether you should consider MT or AT. If you have always driven a MT, then I think the 08 Accord is NOT your best option for switching to an automatic. I did - and I'm having a hard time. The AT in my Accord is very nice, has appropriate shifting points, doesn't search for gears and has a nice positive feel. But, there is no way to shift the tranny out of 5th gear/overdrive. The gear selector only allows the driver to select 1st, 2nd 3rd or "D." "D" includes both 4th and 5th gears. Perhaps I am a control freak, but having never before had a sedan with automatic, I'm having a really hard time with my Accord. . . . I want the control of the manual and I want to be able to hold the transmission in 4th gear. Also, I have the 4-banger engine and, although it has sufficient power, I would strongly prefer the manual transmission given then engines significant lack of low-end boost. The AT might be much more enjoyable when mated to the V6??
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    "3 kids (1 in a booster and 2 in carseats)" in the back of a two-door car?

If you don't want to hate every day of your kids' first decade of existance DON'T DO IT.

No matter how athletic, trim and agile you are, crawling in and out of the back of a coupe to take care of three children on a regular basis will be nothing less than a large pain in the butt. If the 2008 is anything like my 2004, the front passenger seat (since it is non-powered) slides and flips forward easily and more than enough to allow normal (not small kids needing a lot of attention) passengers to use the back seat. On the other hand, the power driver's seat does not readily accommodate rear seat passenger access. I rarely use it for that purpose.

If you have another (four door) vehicle for everyday use with the kids, then the coupe could be a great car for the adults when a babysitter is available at home.
    bug4, have you ever tried shifting down to D3? I think you would be surprised at what speeds you can downshift to 3rd gear. Just a slight move of the accelerator will get you down to 4th, so that shift position is not really necessary. I think you could safely shift to D3 at 70mph, and be in the part of the power band you are looking for. Try it, and you should be pleasantly surprised. ;)
  • waltchanwaltchan Member Posts: 124
    Consumer Reports just released the ratings on the new 2008 Accord. It's rated second best after Nissan Altima, both the I4 and V6. Front seat comfort went up to excellent, noise level improved, but fuel economy dropped 1 MPG overall from the previous generation. Reliability is predicted to be better than average or above average this year for the I4 and V6. It's not better than 2007.
    That is still good, but nissan first? that is suprising. I am not a big fan of nissan at all. But, if it gives you a really high fun factor, and little of everything, than I can see why they rated it, but I wouldn't know, I have never driven a nissan.
    The back of the 2008 is a little bit roomier (slightly wider and slightly more legroom) than the previous generation (which I own), but it's still going to be very very tight for 3 carseats/boosters across. There is also a slight hump/flat spot in between the two outboard seats (more like a 2+2 in my opinion, even though there are 3 seatbelts back there), so I would only carry children in the back in an absolute emergency only. And avoid any longer distance travels. If you have any semi-regular need to haul up to 3 kids in back, the sedan is obviously the logical way to go. Plus, if you are on the tall side, and think you'll need to have the driver's seat moved back, then that will limit backseat space that much more.

I have a bias with transmissions and feel a stick is the only way to go! Unfortunately, no sticks are available with the sedan. My last 5 Hondas were all sticks, but I realize I am a dying breed.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    no, you can still get the stick with the 4 cyl model. Just not the V6 anymore on the sedan.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

You're right....good catch/my bad. Good luck finding a sedan with a stick, though. Honda is just about the only carmaker than even offers it these days.
    I thought about getting a stick, but I have no clue on how to drive one.... I think it would be fun!
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    We picked up my wife's Accord EX today. I sat in the car in the garage, and looked at the interior for a while. Honda has done a nice job. For now two things I can't figure out why they are there.

At the base of front seat belts, there is a white flagged tag that says the seat belt conforms to some spec, the manufacturer name and it is made in Mexico. I think the piece is out of place.

The other item is a little fold/wrinkle on top corner edges of the rear seat fabric
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    The Civic has a flat floor at the back.
    Can Honda give the Accord a flat floor at the back as well?
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    Took the car into the honda district manager last friday and was told that the flickering headlights are normal..unacceptable..filed a complaint with NHTSA which I suggest you all do online..so far Honda will not admit to a fault and there is no engineering solution..enough complaints and they will find one. Please file a complaint with the NHTSA. Thanks
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    District service manager blew me off..said it was a normal function of car and the dealer service manager told me to never bring the car back for the same problem..please file a complaint about the problem with NHTSA online..I'm not done with them...
  • donegaldonegal Member Posts: 49
    The following site gives a very comprehensive review of the 2008 Accord interior:

http://blog.checkeredflag.com/my_weblog/files/2008_Accord_Interior.pdf
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    The flickering lights might have something to do with that lawn mower size battery..............
    We had a 2001 Lexus RX300 that had the same flickering lights. Did not hurt anything but was annoying. The battery size on that RX was normal.
    Honda and Toyota make great vehicles but if you have any issues they are way too arrogant to listen to the issue, let alone trying to make it right.

Joe
This discussion has been closed.