Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I assume you are talking about the manual transmissions? I haven't identified any issues with my AT 3rd gear . . . . .
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858

Replying to: Sporin (Jan 25, 2008 12:26 pm)

I assume you are talking about the manual transmissions? I haven't identified any issues with my AT 3rd gear . . . . .

...give us a break, bug - - - - you are too bright a guy to miss clues like 'grind' and 'catch'...........

Still can't figure out why someone appearing as sharp as you can't get next to synchros, driven discs and throw out bearings,

best, ez....
  • jglueckjglueck Member Posts: 1
    Your problem with crunching into 3rd gear is EXACTLY what I get in my 6-speed manual in my V6 coupe. I took it to the dealer when I had about 1500 miles on the car and they changed the tranny fluid to a lighter weight, but still I get the occasional "bump" going into 3rd before the shift lever gets all the way home. But most of the time is snicks into 3rd like the proverbial hot knife into butter. I'm still in love with the car, though, but I have to push the shifter more deliberately.
  • foxhoundmefoxhoundme Member Posts: 29
    What's up with the Polish Metal Metallic with black leather? I've been in the market now for over 3 months looking for this color arrangement for a Honda Accord Sedan EX-L V6 with navigation.

If you are a dealer would be kind to respond if you have this vehicle on your lot. If anyone else has seen this car can you provide dealership name and city?

WANTED
    08' Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav., Polished Metal with black leather interior.

REWARD
    I will purchase if negotiations are agreed upon. :shades:
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Good to know on the trans fluid, that has been the hypothesized fix from what I've seen.

Wonder if it might be worth it to flush and refill with Amsoil Trans fluid instead?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Why don't you ask your local dealers to find it for you?
    It doesn't make sense to post that here unless you are willing to fly cross country to pick up the car.
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I just attended the St. Louis Auto Show yesterday and sat in a range of cars. The three things about the Honda Accord Sedan, V-6, leather was that it lacked headroom, was tighter in the wheel-well area for your legs, and the seats - front and back - were STIFF.

The car's seat was as low as it would go - so sayeth the Honda guy on-site. He stated they did that to allow people of all sizes and shapes the best access to no doubt a popular stop. Well...I'm 6'1" as well but carry more of my height from my behind to my head than I do in my legs. I was brushing the top of the car badly.

I noticed this in several new makes of vehicles from many mfrs. Do they think that people are somehow getting shorter or want to drive with the seat quasi-reclined?

I thought the seats of the Honda Coupe, leather/V-6, was softer than that of the sedan. No more headroom, though. In fact, a tad less.
  • amiramir Member Posts: 115
    hi.i have an 08 accord ex coupe 4cyl. i noticed that head rests can not be adjusted.they are fixed.but in sedan they can be adjusted.and side mirrors are not folding but in sedan they do.are these normal in the coupe?
    Hello jaxs1,

I have exhausted all the major Honda dealerships in the southeast region looking for this color combination through email blast and follow-up phone calls :cry: . If the Edmund community has Honda dealers online I wanted to send a message to state my interest. At the moment, it appears the only way to get this color combination is to submit an order and wait until March possibly for delivery. The wife wants this car ASAP and I want peace :cry: . By issuing this request I was hoping someone in the Edmund community has seen this car and provide a positive lead for follow-up. Any suggestions? :shades:
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    The side mirrors on my 08 coupe do indeed fold - as I fold them every time I park in my garage for extra space... perhaps you didn't push them hard enough- my coupe is an EX model - not sure if the LX-S base version has the folding mirrors, but I wouldn't expect Honda to cheap out that way like GM or Chyrsler
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    2 Dealers near me have that same combo and color combination with NAV.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Sounds like you and I have the same body build (6'1" with long torso) and had the same headroom experience. Interesting comment on the coupe seat softness.

I suppose I could give up all the amenities in order to fit in the LS coupe (sunroof, leather) but I'm not sure I'm willing to do that. The sedan does indeed have a tad more headroom (from what I've read - I've not yet been in one). In comparison, the Passat (which I also like) has sufficient headroom with a sunroof. I haven't looked at a Camry or Malibu yet - I'd prefer a car with more soul than a Camry and I'm not yet convinced GM is building world-class cars aside from Cadillacs.
    Hello jb turner,

This is great news, but I do not know the dealership near you or your proximity. Can you be more specific about the location and the dealership name? :)
  • wgroperwgroper Member Posts: 5
    If you own a 2008 Accord and have experienced the dreaded headlight flicker while driving at night, please visit the NHTSA website and file a complaint. It takes a little time, but if enough people complain, Honda won't be able to ignore the problem for much longer. We need a solution.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

:mad:
  • gasnetgasnet Member Posts: 49
    Why bother with Navi, I have this system in my Acura TL and its not worth it.My Wifes Garmin works much better. Spend $600 on a 5.3 inch Garmin its has Bluetooth, Traffic and a FM transmitter,also plays mp3's, audio books,jpeg files.A video in for backup camera or dvd player.And thr best part its a Garmin and its works flawless.Honda DVD based system just aint that great, not at $2300
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    No flickering with mine.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    No flicker here either... I wonder what percentage of the 400,000 + Accords that will likely be sold this year will have this issue.... I would guess less than 10 %
  • bigunit67bigunit67 Member Posts: 62
    I won't make this a Toyota thread, but in where Honda and other mfrs seem to be going with their cars......... (an example).

The new Camry has been around now a couple of seasons. The Avalon is based upon the previous generation Camry - bodywise. I noticed that if you sit in the new Camry the comment I made about your leg area being tighter definitely comes true, but if you sit in the Avalon you have more room versus where your right leg (especially the knee) comes to a normal stop/resting point and where the center console begins.

The buddy I went up there with owns a 2003 Honda Accord Sedan, V-6. He had more room in the leg-well area in his 'old' car than I thought the floor display model had. More headroom as well. As a passenger in his sunroof-equipped car, I experienced no adverse banging issues with the head liner. And, I don't have to push the seat all the way down to fit in.

Sad that this seems to be an industry-wide trend. I had a friend going up today that is 6'6". I'm anxious to hear back what he had to say about things. He'd probably have to lay in the back seat ala James Bond in "Tomorrow Never Dies" and drive with a remote control :D
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    Stevenson Honda in Wilmington, NC and East Coast Honda in Myrtle Beach, SC has the combo you are intrested in.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Interesting. I would be wary of comparing seats in an old car to one that is new - four or five years of "breaking in" a seat can net you noticeable headroom.

Looking at Edmunds specs, it appears that you lose 1.7 inches with a sunroof. The LS-X coupe actually has more headroom (barely .1 inch) than the EX-L sedan.
  • sunnfunsunnfun Member Posts: 168
    I know someone that bought a Honda EXL V6 4Dr from East Coast Honda in Myrtle Beach a few years ago. They were very pleased with the deal and the follow-up service they have received over the last few years.
    ez ---- Your right . . . I guess I read a little of my own experience into the post and it made me think he might be talking about an automatic. The gear selector in my automatic is not as exact as it could be. Sometimes the selector, itself, fails to engaged--particularly between reverse and neutral or neutral and drive. The transmission doesn't actually stick or grind -- so its not a big deal - but the lever doesn't fall into either of the slots.

I'll be getting closer to some synchros and throw out bearings soon. :) I thought I could handle an automatic transmission, but I can't :mad: Turns out, I'm a control freak and have to be able to pick between 4th and 5th gear. I just do too much highway driving over twisty and hilly terrain. I'll look carefully at the MT diesel Accord as soon as it is available.....that sounds like a very cool auto!! If I don't like it, I'll probably spring for the redesigned Acura TL or even try the Infinity G35. Whatever I get, you can rest assured that it will have a stick shift -- or a gear-select mode (My brother has an 08 VW GTI with fully hydraulic paddle shifters and no torque converter -- its a nice setup!! )

Thanks for straightening me up ez!! :P
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    I had the same problem with the 2008 Accord sedan with sunroof (I'm 6' 5"). One car that surprised me with its generous headroom is the Altima - you might want to check it out, CR likes it, too.
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    call nicole at
    mike patton honda in Lagrange georgia she will find you a car
    tell her Geoff sent you.
  • wgroperwgroper Member Posts: 5
    Do you have the 4 cylinder or V6?
  • phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    Where are you located? Try Lia Honda, Albany, NY Rex Varughese - Internet Sales. He found my '08 EXL V-6 Sedan, Polished Metal/Black w/o Navi for me. Bet he could help you - great price too.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .......I'll look carefully at the MT diesel Accord as soon as it is available....

I will burn some incense, maybe schedule a few incantations later - - - - - - - - - hoping the diesel ain't auto only. Wouldn't surprise me - - - you really can't blame Honda for looking at the numbers.

all the best, ez....
    The March 2008 edition of Car and Driver magazine has a 7-way 600 mile comparision road test of four cylinder versions of family sedans.

The Accord topped the Altima, Malibu, Sonata, Camry, Fusion and Avenger in that order.
    ez -- I appreciate the effort :D -- I'll convene the tribal elders and see if I can't put together a little som'n-som'n to influence the gods and make damn sure that diesel has a manual option! If that doesn't work, perhaps I'll rip the "H" logo from my 08 Accord and sharpen up my voodoo pins. We'll get this thing done ---- one way or the other. ;)
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Does anyone know of a website or a PDF file that shows how to take off the back panle off the fornt seats? The section has the map pocket in it. I can pull it off. I am afraid I might break the plastic tabs. These covers have plastic tabs molded to the cover or Chrsitmas tree type push pins.

Joe
    If you don't get a response on this forum, you should call an automotive upholstery shop. I'll bet they will have a better handle on how to get the seat back off than will the dealership. Just my $.02.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    :cry: Yeah, not too many people have these vehicles yet. I read the initial post, but had no help to offer. Sorry!
  • wave62wave62 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Accord coupe EX-L 4 cylinder and the headlights flicker when there is a change in the electrical power demand and it is very annoying. My '67 Nova used to do it when the battery was outliving its usefulness. I think it gives the impression of an under powered , cheap car. Like I said, it really annoying , alittle embarrassing and should not be happening in a Honda
  • rockymanrockyman Member Posts: 1
    This is not normal. I alos have a new 2008 honda accord with flickering lights. Go to NHTSAA and file a complaint. We also need to start a class action law suit. It will probably take a law suit to make them recall and fix the lights.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    I think there is a decent chance Honda's diesel will be offered with a manual. After all, the European diesel version will definitely offer the stick, so the basic tooling and infrastructure will be there. Diesel VW's in America offer the manual option, and the powerplant itself will appeal to a blend of "greenies" and "gearheads." Finally, I suspect the majority of first adopters of diesel powerplants in America will be male drivers, so all of these variables would suggest to me that a manual transmission would be available. It may also depend on whether a stick would deliver better fuel economy vs the automatic or CVT. In the past, you could almost guarantee that a stick translated to better MPG, but that's not always the case today. I suppose that could be a tipping point as to whether we'll see the Honda diesel with a stick, but my bet is that we will. Eventually, with wider acceptance, we'll also see diesel versions of Fits/Civics all the way to Pilots/Ridgelines, so that would also suggest to me that a manual would be available in at least the smaller models. Fingers crossed!
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    There you go, sue the bastards. Class Action is the American answer to most gripes. Unfortunately, the lawyers take the money and the rest of us working stiffs receive a check for $2.19. It would seem to me that if most Accord owners experienced flickering lights, we would be hearing about it from more than 2 people on Edmunds.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Like we have said in the past posts, that if you have a problem contact American honda, Honda takes problems seriously. If you don't report, then they have no way of knowing, and cannot fix the problem. The issues have been brought up in previous posts, and have been considered with similar issues. Please read earlier posts.

This should keep from having the whole conversation over the same issue again. If it is that much of a problem, I am sure most dealers would tell you, there is obviously a problem if your car is flickering on and off with lights. They might think your car is the Law. :)

Yes, if your lights are actually turning on and off, "Flickering" Than, yes you have problem.
    My 08 Accord's lights flicker -- it is very noticeable -- but its annoying - not a safety issue and there really are no damages associated with the problem. Hence, there is no viable class action lawsuit. Having said that . . .

Do you have a better way of getting corporate America (or corporate Japan) to listen to consumer concerns? Perhaps your right -- let the executives covet their profits, take huge bonuses and hand out the rest to their wealthy stock holders -- God knows we wouldn't want the lawyers to benefit from protecting the public interest. Plus, it would be a bummer for us to get our $2.19 check AND a recall to fix the issue -- all without lifting a finger!
    Read earlier posts, and you will see that this conversation has been discussed.

It is making me think to not buy an 08 accord just yet. Although I am waiting either way.

American Honda:1-800-999-1009 Report it, They offer excellent service!

My 06 has a slight second (If that, more like a milisecond) of dimness of the headlights when the fan cycles in the engine. It is not a flicker which is when the lights actually go off and then turn back on really fast. Barely even noticeable. I am soo picky, that I know its happening, but no one else that has ever rode in my car would even think to know its there. Been like that since new.
  • parvizparviz Member Posts: 484
    "all without lifting a finger!"

You will be lifting more than a finger the next time you pay for the higher priced product to cover the attorneys fees. The stockholders are not there to cover the legal fees, the customers are.
    I see your point, but for a different reason. The company doesn't raise prices to pay the attorneys -- they raise prices to pay for their own negligence. In a class action suit, a defendant company pays for the damages it has caused. The attorneys fees are deducted from that payment and, consequently, are an expense born by the class members -- not the company.

That's not to say the company doesn't increase the price of their product. As I said, they certainly covet their bonuses and dividends. ;)
  • arfboolarfbool Member Posts: 2
    Hi Sporin -- I have a 4 cyl with the 5 speed (it's 2006 though)

I have the same exact issue with the third gear as you, I think. It "grinds" for me quite often now, and especially so when cold. Normally, when one complains of grinding shifts, people suggest bad synchros, or that the driver operated the clutch too hastily. I am reasonably sure that the problem is definitely not worn synchros, and almost certainly has nothing to do with my clutching since I do not power shift the car, because the "fixes" to this problem should actually make it worse, not better.

Examples:

1) Make the 2-3 upshift at high rpm, like between 3000 rpm all the way up to the redline, and it will probably go right in without protest. A car with a bad synchro would grind like crazy on an agressive shift.

2) Moving the shifter too slowly can cause crunching. Instead, move it quickly and it has a better chance of going quietly.

Other comments: Even when there is no grind, there is still frequently an audible clunk of sorts whenever upshifting to 3rd.

Downshifting to 3rd is never a problem. While upshifting frequently causes strange noises, downshifting is usually textbook smooth.

I've complained to the dealer about it, and they test drove it and said they found nothing wrong. Bleh.

See a video of mine: 3rd gear noise

Perhaps you can point me to other discussions about this issue, because usually when I Google for 3rd gear problems, I get the Civic with the 6 speed popping out of 3rd gear problem.
    Since yours is a 2006 model, you might want to be in the Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair forum here:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.efdf924/3423!make=Honda&model=Accord&ed_m- akeindex=.efdf924
  • uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    I drove 08 accord coupe over a huge pot hole the other day.
    It was so deep and loud that I thought I hit something and even CD player stopped playing and gave me an error message.

Since that happened, I think the front wheel is not balanced.
    It might be due to the heavy snow, salt, and cold weather that make a pavement uneven. I don't think my car runs smooth as before. Does anyone heard that pot hole can damage the wheel balance and car feels bumpy and wobbly?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,705
    Oh, yes, especially with the lower profile tires used now. Get to the dealer for a checkup!
    Yes, totally take it to the dealer to have them do a work up on all the wheels, and alignment.

That is the bad part about the Honda, it is a love/hate relationship with the suspension, I love its so smooth and sporty, but you totally feel everything, and gets pretty rough if the roads are bumpy, even little bumps or imperfections, you can feel it. I almost cringe, because its like wow, I hope I didn't hurt anything when I go over the bumps, because you feel everything. I try to dodge them, but doesn't always work. That is why I don't like going the back roads home, because it is so rough.

There are literally Craters in our roads, you might fall in! Its bad!
  • uscratchuscratch Member Posts: 27
    I guess that I have to take it to the dealer and check up on wheels and alignment.
    Do you know if wheel alignment will be covered under the warranty?

Thanks for your input.
    Well, Sorry to say it probably won't be, since it is apart of wear and tear. Unless you are normally driving without potholes, and it keeps going out. I would simply go in and see what they say, a simple balance and check to see if it needs alignment.

Hey, quick question... have had passengers in your coupe yet? How do they like it? Is it snug? What about 3 in the back?
  • phantomvphantomv Member Posts: 101
    Ouch! :sick: I hate it when that happens - especially with front wheel drive - could have all kinds of problems now - bad tire, out of alignment, bent wheel and those are the good things. Bent half shaft, broken CV joint/shaft. Front wheel drive is FAR more complicated than typical American live axle rear wheel drive. Hit a pot hole with rear wheel drive car - no drive train involved with front wheels - not so much $$$$ to break. I wsh you the best of luck - have to say that I hit one with our 1990 Acura Legent with 150K + on it on the INterstate - WOW. SO bad I stoped to inspect the damage, half expecting to see the wheel bent - or worse for sure. Nothing. :) I was honestly shocked at how little damage there was - it felt through the steering wheel as though the wheel had been torn off. Good luck - but get it looked at ASAP!!!
    That is so true, you might be surprised to see that their is no or minimal damage, I have hit some big ones, but not had any problems. Our hondas are strong!!

I love the stiff ride though, I couldn't imagine any stiffer, it would be even more crazy.
This discussion has been closed.