Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Accord Coupe and Sedan

Comments

• miltiadesmiltiades Member Posts: 16
    Am pleased overall with 2008 Accord w/Leather seats - ride is comfortable, car seems fairly intuitive, smooth ride, wish there were more original colors, only criticism is often the glove compartment rattles and I don't know how to have passenger and rear doors unlock more easily. The dealership said there's no default that unlocks doors without a double click of the remote key. Highly recommended, good value auto.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    The ride is more stiff than most other rides, its typical of Honda. I personally like it.
    This is not a problem. Perhaps you would like the ride of the Camry more?
    The coupe is a bit more stiff, that is what I loved about Honda, is that it felt solid in its ways. If you are truly unhappy, wait awhile and you'll be able to get out with minimal pain. You can't do that with most other brands.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I don't know how to have passenger and rear doors unlock more easily. The dealership said there's no default that unlocks doors without a double click of the remote key.

I'm confused. You want something easier than clicking the door unlock button twice? Like a separate "all doors unlock" button? :confuse:

I must be getting old... it doesn't seem THAT long ago that you had to open the driver's door with a key and then lean over to unlock the passenger door or reach behind the seat to pull up the lock button to open the rear door. ;)

Perhaps voice recognition for doors opening isn't too far off. :shades:
  • mailman5mailman5 Member Posts: 2
    This is a widespread pronlem and there is a TSB on this matter...Contact Honda Corp and demand a factory rep review and they will replace the door handles....watch for oxidation too! If we do not speak up...they will sweep it under the rug!
  • mailman5mailman5 Member Posts: 2
    This is a widespread pronlem and there is a TSB on this matter...Contact Honda Corp and demand a factory rep review and they will replace the door handles....watch for oxidation too! If we do not speak up...they will sweep it under the rug! :lemon:
    I wanted to let you guys know that if you did not want to spend much on the Factory navigation on the Accord. Visit Handa.com and they have a Honda Portable GPS unit, and it is fairly cheap, $180 or so. This would be a nice option to those who don't want to spend a lot on navigation, but have this little device, and you could move it anywhere. It states it plays mp3's as well, that would be a nice way to plug in to your Aux, depending on how much it will hold within its memory. Neat option. :)

But, many units elsewhere may do the same thing, but not sure if this is cheaper, better than the rest.
  • personatechpersonatech Member Posts: 105
    Thanks for the tip, but I'm not sure it's such a good deal. H and A's photos of the unit suggest it has rather old software (I don't recognize the unit - it might be a low-end Magellan). Furthermore, to mount it in your car you need the car mounting kit for another $38.

For the same money, I bought a Mio C320 with 4.3" screen, MP3 player (which I don't use), and car mounting kit included for $179 on sale at RS. I suspect the Mio has more up-to-date maps and I easily hacked it to get text-to-speech. I did have to buy a carry case for an additional 20 bucks or so (a zippered case is included with the Honda unit).

Alternatively, you can usually find a low-end Garmin for the same money and they're generally considered to be the best there is.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    I have a Garmin Nuvi 660. It is absolutely fabulous and performs brilliantly. I consider it better than most if not all factory navigation systems.
  • don57don57 Member Posts: 19
    My 06 Accord 4 door also had a broken foglight lens. I was able to buy a replacement light on line from Bernardi Parts for $92. If you go to College Hills Honda website, there is a video that shows how to install. On mine there was one screw to remove to get the foglight and trim out of the bumper and then 3 more screws to replace the lamp. Probably took 15 minutes from start to finish. I think the retail price of the light is $130 or so.
    I also protector film form Lamin-X to put on the lens. Don't know if it will help, but it was only $15, so it thought it was worth a try
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    Anybody have any info as to a new version of this product that actually works, and that I could install in my 08 coupe?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Doesn't the Accord have an auxillary input for portable devices?
  • khoeykhoey Member Posts: 35
    Yes, and I have an Ipod connected.

I am referring to a software/hardware product that enabled you to control your Ipod thru the audio system. It couldn't keep up with the updates to Itunes, but it seems that other competing products, such as Microsoft's Sync, do just fine.

I was really disppointed that Honda would offer such a lame product.Those who have experience with it know what I mean.
    Navigation-plays mp3's via memory card.

Though not advertised, but I have heard many put a memory card in their navigation units, which is located in the trunk. You would have to get the right card and adapter for it to slide in there, but have heard they put mp3's on this card using the computer and then put the card in their navi unit, then they are able to play mp3's right on the nav screen. I would assume the 08 accord has nothing changed, because even the 07 CR-V had this. As long as you have the navi, you can do this. I have asked a few dealers, and they have said the same thing, but it is not something honda has advertised.

You just have to get the right card, big enough space on the card. Now how it navigates on the screen, I am not sure. But look it up online. This would be worth the money for the memory card to get this little feature. That alone would make me want to get the navi. I would get a big memory card, and I would have endless music.
  • sirgilligansirgilligan Member Posts: 14
    The standard stereo for my '08 Accord does not play MP3 discs. It is supposed to do so. I have burned the MP3 discs using iTunes and other programs as well. I have tested the discs in a friends Chevy and they play just fine.

Has any successfully played an MP3 disc in their stereo in a 2008 LX Accord?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Are you using CD-R or CD-RW discs? Don't know if manufacturers have upgraded or not, but just a few years ago, some CD players were finicky about playing CD-RW discs. Some OEM players wouldn't play them; most aftermarket ones would.
    I am using CD-R discs. Sorry I didn't specify that before.

Has anyone had success with theirs? How did you burn your disc?

Thanks.
    I don't have an Accord. But I did have your issue a few years ago. Had to use CD-Rs, and I used Roxio to burn them.
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've had good success with my 08 premium audio system in the EX-L. I'd create a folder with artist number 1's name and drop all the mp3's for him/her in that folder and move on to artist number 2, etc. Using Nero 7 for the actual burning.
    I have Roxio and will try that. Thanks.
    Thanks for the input. I will try Nero as well. Maybe I will take a disc to the dealer and put it in a few other Accords and see if any will play them.

Thanks.
  • warriorphanwarriorphan Member Posts: 8
    Please see my post #5312. My MP3s play fine on a Sony boombox, a Philips boombox, my computer, in my Ford Explorer and new Accord EX models. They sound just fine and actually play in my LX-P; the player just reads more folders than actually exists. My local Honda dealer has confirmed this. Honda has actually requested (and received) two of my MP3 CDs and is working with the manufacturer (Alpine) to solve this problem. The main nuisance is advancing from one folder to another, most of them show zero files. The player eventually advances to a folder with files and then plays them properly.
    Thanks for the info. Interesting that it's an Alpine. My friends aftermarket stereo is an Alpine and it plays any MP3 Disc we put in it.

I burned disc's last night with Nero. Single Session, Finalized Discs, no Joliet, ISO 9XXX (don't remember the numbers), Mode 2...

These Discs work!

I am going to go back to iTunes and see if I can figure out how to set it up to work. Also I will go back on my Windows Vista machine and see if it works. Haven't burned one from my Mac yet, I will do that as well.

Thanks.
    I burned an MP3 CD from iTunes on my old G4 Powerbook. It works just fine in the Accord's stereo.

So, the only thing I know for certain is that my new Dell machine running Vista with a Combo-drive can not burn a CD that works in my Accord. Those discs did work in a friends stereo in his old Chevy truck.

So, for me I guess I burn MP3 discs with my Windows 2000 box using Nero or my Mac using iTunes.

Thanks for everyone's replies.
  • ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    When I took my car in for the first oil change, I had them look at the door problem. They said they've had a few cars with the same problem and that it just needed to be adjusted. This was a few weeks ago and it hasn't had a problem since they adjusted it.
  • cloudy77cloudy77 Member Posts: 2
    So, the only thing I know for certain is that my new Dell machine running Vista with a Combo-drive can not burn a CD that works in my Accord. Those discs did work in a friends stereo in his old Chevy truck.

That is not true. I have a 'newer' Dell (6600 Quadcore 2.4 Ghz) running Vista and I used the combo drive to burn a MP3 CD. It works. I have a 08 EX-L coupe though.

I think when you use Roxio or Nero, make sure you choose the burn audio CD option. I tried to just copy MP3 files on a CD with Roxio, it didn't work. Then I chose the 'burn audio CD' option, it works with both Roxio and Nero.

Try and see if it works.
    It is true. The MP3 CDs burned on the DELL with a combo drive running Vista did not work in my 2008 Accord LX with the "basic" stereo. MP3 CD's burned using Nero on Windows 2000 worked and MP3 CD's burned on a Power Book G4 using iTunes work.

You mention choosing the "audio CD" option. That is something completely different than an MP3 CD. "Audio CD" burned on the DELL running Vista with the Combo drive work just fine.

Thanks.
    I bought some Zymol wax/cleaner for my car, has anyone used this product, and did you like it? I have read some really good reviews, it has scored really high, but would like to hear anyone's experiences here.

I am contemplating getting atleast a bumper and hood clear bra for the winter, I certainly don't want to overpay on this, and don't want a cheap product either.
  • tabby102tabby102 Member Posts: 7
    I've used it for the past 2 years. Good product; easy to use. But it is no longer Consumer Reports top rated wax - it's Black Magic and Turtle Wax Carnauba. Black Magic is more difficult to use - leave it on too long or not long enough and you can't get it off :mad:
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I've tried Zymol, and just about everything else (have a bottle that was used once, you can have it). The ICE polish is the easiest to use (easy to put on, and easy to remove), but it doesn't last. Nu-Finish is the best, longest lasting car polish I have found. When you have a Black car, nothing is easy. Nu-Finish leaves a lot of the white dust, but that's the only drawback. After evacuating for a Hurricane, and having luv bugs stuck on the paint for two weeks, it's time for a clay bar treatment now. :cry:
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    If you're looking for the ultimate wax (actually there's no wax in it) try Zaino polish. I clayed and put four coats of Zaino on my black 08 Accord and it shines like a mirror. Very easy to apply remove and no white residue! I've used this stuff for the past 10 years and I used to detail cars. Nothing comes close in my opinion. It lasts and lasts. Don't take my word for it, check out the web and read up on it.. Zainobros.com is where you get it, not sold in stores.
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    You're right. Zaino is excellent. So is Klasse. Check it out.
  • csr67csr67 Member Posts: 58
    Zaino will set you back about $100 for a full kit of accelerator, polish, detail spray, car wash gel, and clay bar. My last car (VW GTI) was Zaino'd when new, and it still shined like new at 5 years when I traded it for the Accord. I never reapplied Zaino other than an occassional wipe down with their Z6 detail spray... Well worth it. I have sold so many friends and passers by on these products, and they all are very, very happy.

• im2xlntim2xlnt Member Posts: 6
    i got a deal for 2008 lxp and 2008 ex[4cylinder automatic transmission,both are 4door sedans]
    and the difference in the final price 500dollars wherein i am landing up paying just 500dollars more for ex
    and i am getting deal for lxp with leather thru dealer and ex without leather,so the difference in final out of the door price is 500dollars

can anyone provide me with suggestions which one is better to go and i am also getting 1.9%interest rate for both of them

will be happy to know the reasoning behind your suggestions which can help me in decision making
  • stephen987stephen987 Member Posts: 1,994
    Let me be sure I understand your question: you're trying to choose between a regular EX and an LX-P, and the dealer is arranging for leather interior to be added to the LX-P. Right?

Easy choice: the LX-P's dealer installed leather interior won't be up to factory standard. Get the EX.
  • im2xlntim2xlnt Member Posts: 6
    Thank you! Also we feel we are getting better deal with EX.
    I did get the zymol wax, it was certanily much better than the mothers wax I had before, perhaps that was expired, because it literally did not want to come off the car. The Zymol, though had some dust to it, it really has made my car really shiny and smooth. I applied many coats to the hood and front fenders. It came off quite easily after letting it sit for awhile. I was impressed with it. Though, I will try other brands at some point, but this will last me awhile. I even used it on my alloy wheels, made them shiny and protected.

But, sadly enough, I found my first rock chip on my car, its ride on the edge of the hood and crease of the bumper, barely noticeable. But it always happens. Even my previous new car had "beauty" mark lol sooner or later. A big bummer. Oh well..
    Thanks guys for the input. I sooner or later will have a black car, I can only imagine keeping it up, but looks great when clean.
  • retire46retire46 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2008 Accord EX-L sedan. (mystic green) I ordered a wing spoiler and just went to pick it up and the dealer ordered and installed the wrong spoiler and put a lid spoiler on. They offered to give me the lid spoiler free or they would reorder the one I wanted but would also have to order a new trunk lid to match my car as the holes wouldn't match up with the new spoiler. My option is to keep the lid spoiler or pay for the one I really wanted and they of course would pay for the trunk lid. I am concerned it wouldn't match exactly. I need help deciding as I have never seen the wing spoiler..just pictures. Any opinions out there as to which actually looks best? I can live with this one but can't decide what to do. The dealer said the vin numbers in the trunk wouldn't match my car any longer.if they ordered a new trunk lid..is this a problem...not sure what recourse I have.....any ideas????
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    I've seen both spoilers and consider the wing spoiler to look like some boy racer add-on that does nothing to compliment the original lines of the car. I'd take them up on their offer as the lid spoiler doesn't detract from the clean lines the car has. Nice car by the way, I'm driving the same thing, no spoiler with the V6, very happy with the Mystic Green color choice.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    At this point, I'd take the existing spoiler, for free....particularly since it's acceptable to you and you've never seen the wing. I wouldn't want a new trunk lid with 'hopefully' the same paint redone by the dealership.

Take the freebie lip, pocket the wing money.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    I agree with the above posts. Take the freebie. The paint on a new trunk lid will never match exactly.

I'm not a spoiler fan but the I think the "wrong" one in this case is the better looking, IMHO.
    As others have said, stick with the lip spoiler. IMO, it looks classier on the sedan than a wing spoiler would. On the flip side; if you're dying to have a wing spoiler, with the car being so new, I don't think there'd be any issue with the paint matching. If it didn't match, the difference would be so minor that simply skipping a wax job on the trunk lid would bring it in line in just a few (sunny) weeks.
    Keep the deck lid spoiler. It looks classier! fits better!
    Personally, I prefer the wing spoiler, and if that's what you wanted you should get it. The lip spoilers look glued on, and are not very attractive IMO. But hey, if you are satisfied with the lip spoiler that's ok. I would not settle for something I didn't want.
    good point.
  • st1300st1300 Member Posts: 59
    Katana Pilot has posted many things on different web sites about the headlight flickering issue. After a lot of work the state of Georgia has declared the car defective and honda has been requested to buy it back..kudos to Katana Pilot for his tenacious efforts to resolve this problem. I know of at least 2 other cars that will be joining him in the Georgia arbitration suit.

Thanks for your hard work KP I surely appreciate it.
  • krwolff76krwolff76 Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if you had more information on this and the Georgia suit. I would like nothng more than to have California follow suit. This is crazy what this car does. If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
    I will have more info tomorrow after contacting the Georgia consumer affairs division
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    Well, keep us posted, I sure would like Honda to fix this. This is annoying! Is it a safety issue? Probably, I have never seen my car coming at me, but I have seen an Accord behind me do this and I thought the driver was flashing his lights at me.
    Honda will not fix the car because there is no fix.
    One owner says an Optima yellow top battery solved his headlight flickering problem. IMO, it would be worth a shot.
This discussion has been closed.