Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln MKX

Comments

• mhunschemhunsche Member Posts: 5
    A PTU is the "Power Transfer Unit". Located in the transmission, the PTU transfers power between the axles of all wheel drive MKX's. If you don't have an all wheel drive MKX, the PTU is probably not your problem, because you don't have PTU.

If you have a PTU and the smell is related to your PTU, it is most likely leaking fluid through a seal or has been overfilled. Either condition should be failry easy to fix and likely under warranty.
  • clareobclareob Member Posts: 3
    Didn't consider it yelling, just accidentally leaving caps on, was more concerned about my vehicle than forum etiquette police
  • clareobclareob Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, I do have all wheel drive so that is likely the problem. I like to be prepated when going to dealer, as if the problem is not occuring when you bring the vehicle in they often dismiss the issue, but I've printed out all the posts dealling with this issue so I have amunition.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    was more concerned about my vehicle than forum etiquette police

Naturally, but you were offered good advice. People tend to ignore messages written in ALL CAPS because they are hard to read. It's not a matter of etiquette policing but rather someone trying to be helpful. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • zone4zone4 Member Posts: 46
    I've seen the new pictures. I don't like the new grill or the dash. Interior seems okay.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    From what I've seen so far of the pictures, the interior appears much nicer than the current model. As for the grill, I think I like it, judging from the pics, but I would have to see it in person to really tell.
  • moorecpamoorecpa Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know of a dealer anywhere in the US that has an inventory of new 2010 Lincoln MKX? Looking for black or red, fully loaded.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Why not wait for the 2011? HUGE improvement if you can wait a few months. If not, try the lincoln website. I believe they have a national locator service available.
  • carfaninpacarfaninpa Member Posts: 3
    I am very interested in the 2011 MKX and signed up for current news on the Lincoln website. The only thing I see so far is summer availability. I also read somewhere that June 7 was the start date of manufacture. If anyone hears when they will start to be delivered to dealers, please post it here.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I thought I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the 2011 MKX won't be out until the fall.
    I see that Edmunds.com has 2011 pricing now. I don't know if it is accurate. The pricing is still not on the Lincoln website.
    Has anyone driven one?
    Has anyone sat in one?
  • papatomkpapatomk Member Posts: 8
    2010 MKX, setting both the dials to 68 degrees and automatic. The MKX temperature from the blower stays at 68 degrees and does not cool off the vehicle when the temperature outside is 80 plus.
    I need to set the passenger side at 60 degrees so it blows cold air not cool air. Is this normal?
    My wife's lincoln MKS gets cold at 72 degrees, the temp blowing in on hers is 60 degrees until it hits desired temp of 72?
    help
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    Ours does fine in Texas heat at 70 on both sides. Might the fan speed have been set low? I found that 'automatic' still lets you change the fan speed.
    Thanks for the reply, the fan speed starts off on high then reduces, I find it necessary to increase the fan speed but it still does not cool off the vehicle.
    The only way I found is to set the temps at 60, this maintains a high fan speed and cold air pumping out,
    then when the vehicle is cool I change the temp to 68, the air is no longer cold but cool, It never gets to 68, I was in texas for a while last year and yes you do need the air conditioner.
    That's definitely not normal.
    Lincoln MKX,MKS
    My MKX does not cool down, dealer states that if the air inside the vehicle is 80 degrees or less the fan will not max or kick to high in automatic mode thereby the vehicle will take a long long time to cool down if set to 68 degrees and even longer if set to 70 or 72.. Can anyone confirm this to be true? I know the fixes but for a $50,000 vehicle should a fix be necessary? Dealer states the same unit is in all the dual climate control Lincolns.
    Have you tried replacing or cleaning the cabin air filter? You should be able to set it on 60 for max cooling initially on 90+ degree days, then switch to your normal setting after a few minutes. Use an instant read thermometer and check the temp of the air coming out of the vents.
  • I don't have a Lincoln, butI don't understand. When I set my climate control to 72, it cools no matter what the weather, if the weather is warmer than that. It automatically goes to high if it is really warm out and stays there until the interior is cooler. My last several auto climate controlled vehicles have all been able to do that with no problem. It would tick me off if I had to set it to 60 first to get it to do what it is supposed to do automatically. I don't know, but I think there is something wrong when my cheap Suzuki SX4 cools to where I set it (with no fiddling) better than somebody'snew Lincoln. I'd be screaming at your dealer to fix it.
    Setting it to 60 puts it in max cool mode. You don't have to put it on 60 - it should cool just fine on 72. My guess is the filter is clogged or the temp sensor isn't working right.
    Hi,
    yes I am ticked, I am using this forum to get responses if anyone else has this issue. dealer states this is the way it is engineered, I find that hard to believe.
    anyone know how I can get the attention of Llincoln headquarters??
    Take it to a different dealer and if that doesn't work ask for a Ford rep or use the procedure outlined in the owner's manual. Did you check the cabin air filter like I suggested? This is a common complaint when the filter is dirty.
    where would I Iocate the cabin filter? I will go back and ask to see a rep.as you suggested.
    when I e-mailed and called ford I was patronized and offered an oil change.
    Ford doesn't repair vehicles. Dealers repair vehicles. All Ford can do is ask the dealer to help out.

The filter is behind the glove box.
  • phoggphogg Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    Interested as we are looking for a new car and MKX looks like a great car for us as wife wanted AC seats for our trips so went down to dealership in Palm Springs... 100 plus degrees when we test drove the car and it barely kept the car comfortable and the seats didn't cool at all. Loved the car but Ford can't answer this problem and I think they just don't have a strong enough fan motor to turn the air over. We got back into our 2003 Infiniti G35 and within 60 seconds it was blasting cool air. If this is truely the case we won't be buying this car and anyone who owns one is stuck.
  • phoggphogg Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    A climate controlled AC means that a temp is set and the AC will seek that temperature at the highest fan speed and once this temp is reached the fan will automatically reduce it's output to keep that temp. All cars can manually over ride the fan motor and kick it down. If you set your temp at 60 a good AC will run at max speed and most likely never slow down as that's quite a low temp to reach if driving temps above 80 degrees. Wife does this in our car all the time putting temp at very low setting and when comfortable she just manually dials down the speed of the fan. From my test drives in 100 degree weather the MKX's high fan output is insufficient....
  • mhunschemhunsche Member Posts: 5
    Got a 2008 and live in Orange County, California. It's certainly not Palm Springs, but we can get 100+ degree heat on occasion. For us, the car takes little bit longer to cool off after sitting in the sun, but we put the windows down to get excessive heat out and then set it on 60. Within a reasonable timeframe it was nice and cool. Keep in mind that the MKX has significant interior volume. Probably double that of a G35 as the MKX is quite a bit wider than most cars.

On a separate note, we just love the look of the MKX. Our car is black with a black grill and we took the liberty of installing aftermarket ground effects and a new set of black and silver alloy wheels (24"). Everybody stops us and asks us about the car. The younger crowd especially. Who says Lincolns are for the old folks. :-)
    Something wrong with that MKX, just got back from a round trip Dallas/Laredo, 100+ all the way, very comfortable.
  • I just do not understand this "set it on 60" stuff. I bought a car with climate control because that is exactly what I don't want to have to do...set the temp manually. If your system is working right, setting it at 72 will blast the AC when it is hot out, until the interior cools down and the fan slows down automatically. Sometimes on really hot days, you may have to check that your vents are blowing air on you and not in some other direction. Otherwise setting it on 60 and then later a higher temp should never be necessary.
    I agree - if 60 is needed then there's something wrong either with the car or the settings. Our did fine set at 72 or so at all times.
    You shouldn't have to set it on 60 and leave it. 60 (and 90 for heat) is just Ford's way of giving you a MAX setting. This setting basically ignores the actual temp and goes full blast and I think it automatically recirculates the air. I put it on 60 when the car is really hot for a few minutes, then put it back to normal.

And no, you shouldn't have to set it on 60 - it should work on 70 also. There must be something wrong.
  • cluikartcluikart Member Posts: 2
    My wife didn't like the headrests either. There are two places to push at the base of the headrest -- if you push both the headrest comes out. We turned it around and its much better.
  • cluikartcluikart Member Posts: 2
    There are two places to push at the base of the headrest, then you can pull the thing out and turn it around. It is much less uncomfortable.
  • And much less likely to provide any injury protection in an accident. To each his or her own of course, but I have never understood what is uncomfortable about resting your head against a headrest while driving.
  • dbwilson80dbwilson80 Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2011 Lincoln MKX in September 2011. Right off the dealership lot was bothered with a sporadic vibration when going up an incline and usually around the 1500-2000 rpm. Initially thought the problem was with the transmission but was told it wasn't. Had the vehicle into dealership couple of times to try and correct the problem. Today they finally discovered that the two exhaust pipes were they meet underneath sometimes were rubbing against each other and causing the noise. This intermittent noise has been bugging us since September 2010 and hopefully this is the end of it.
  • 4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    I have a 07 mkx with only 43,000 miles...warranty of course just went out on may 8th....now my mkx is blowing hot air while in idle but cold air with any kind of gas....so just wondering if this is the compressor or maybe just a fan going out??? Any chance lincoln would cover this under "courtesy warranty"? GM did that for one once when I met one of the warranty criteria...in this case under 50K miles.
    Worth a check as far as warranty. As to what's going on, it might be low on freon, or there might be an issue with the air direction doors resulting from a vacuum leak. I wouldn't think it's a fan problem if it's blowing hot air. If it is low on freon, they'll need to find the leak.
    I hope its only a leak and not the compressor....was quoted at 1380 for new compressor..ouch
  • carrj142carrj142 Member Posts: 2
    Follow this link, it may help:

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3758

I don't know if MKX and Freestyle have the same AC system.
    my radiator overheated yesterday so i am thinking mine may be the cooling fans?
  • micky6micky6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buying a used MKX and am not fond of the dark wood trim. Does anyone know if this can be changed out? I was looking at trim kits but it doesn't look like they come with the factory trim that's already on the vehicle.
  • ladymkxladymkx Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Lincoln MKX; purchased brand new. Problem w/accelerating in stop and go traffic will not go. Push the accelerator, nothing happens, then all of a sudden car just launches forward. Ford mechanics cannot identify problem. Anybody experience this? Car been in shop 1 wk.
  • harryjrharryjr Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem with my 2011 MKX. Dealer replaced part of muffler system but noise continues. Were you able to resolve your problem?
  • dinociarlodinociarlo Member Posts: 4
    I have a new Lincoln MKX 2011. Does anyone know if it has Grade Assist. This is where the transmission automatically shifts down when going downhill to hold back the car and save your brakes.
    Page 228 of the owner's manual:

...or mountainous areas and will provide a limited amount of grade
    assist features automatically.
    Thank you for trying to help. On page 228 of my MKX owners manual, they describe the reverse sensing system. I can't find anything about grade assist. By the way, when I asked Lincoln about this they advised me to talk to my dealer. When I talked to my dealer, I found that they didn't know what I was talking about.
    My 2008 has it - does your shifter have a small button on the side of it? I think that's it.
    Maybe that was the 2012 manual I was looking at. The 2011 doesn't seem to have the wording. But it definitely has grade assist. I think the selectshift manual operation is standard on the MKX so if you need more than the normal grade assist you would put it in manual mode and downshift as needed.
    I'm sure my 2011 Lincoln MKX has Grade Assist. Recently I was going down a steep grade and I used the brakes to slow the car. I noticed that the RPM's automatically jumped from 2000 rpm to 3500 rpm, meaning the transmission down shifted to hold back the car. I wish I knew how this works.
    If you're going downhill and you touch the brakes, it engages grade assist which will provide limited engine braking to maintain speed. Beyond that you either use the manual shift mode or turn off Overdrive using the button(s) on the side of the shifter depending on the model.