Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• bpowell2bpowell2 Member Posts: 1
    Someone asked about Hyundai reliability. I had my first experience with Hyundai when purchasing my son a Scoupe back in 1995. Models prior to that, I found in doing research, were still under the control of the "old guard", and just a small step above the Yugo. Hyundai is now partially owned by Mitsubishi and is the beneficiary of their innovation. Although slightly underpowered, the Scoupe performed flawlessly. Never had to return to the dealer with a warranty item. In December, 1999 purchased my wife a 2000 Sonata GLS V6. Fun to drive, peppy in traffic, but would not want to be negotiating a slalom at high speed. Not what this vehicle was designed for. This car has also perfomed flawlessly for 14,000 mixed/use miles. It will make its first non-oil-change visit to the dealer this week because of a wiring recall (a sensor is too close to the exhaust manifold and is being rerouted) but never created a problem. Reason for writing? Taking delivery on a 2001 Santa Fe GLS this week. Never thought we would be a 3 Hyundai family, but the vehicles have proven themselves.
  • phunleyphunley Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at the Santa Fe 5 FWD speed with package 2. Is there anyone out there with this vehicle? How do you feel about the 4 cyl engine? I can not go over my $20,000 approved loan amount so I can not get the 4FWD.

My question is at first I was looking at Sedans such as the Nissan Sentra or Honda Civic. When I saw the Santa Fe it changed my view of SUV's. So my question is will I be disappointed with the Santa Fe as packaged above. I just figured I would be getting more vehicle for my money.

I a single female so the warranty looked REAL good also.

Any comments would be helpful. I'm looking to purchase within the next few days.

Thanks
  • allank1allank1 Member Posts: 1
    We're looking into trading in our '96 Accent sedan and are intrigued by the Santa Fe. I've heard some pretty poor reports about competitors (Escape/Tribute) and feel the other "Mini-SUV's" are underpowered (Honda CRV). Should we take advantage of our previous Hyundai ownership experience, or test the waters of the other makers?
  • mkim1mkim1 Member Posts: 8
    As an automotive engineer at Big Three, I was intrigued by the value Santa Fe represents, so I checked it out at a local dealership. VERY impressive. Almost identical to Lexus RX300 in size (bigger cargo room), this is a very tightly assembled vehicle. The body panel gap is tighter than the Lexus', showing Hyundai's production capability.

The best bang for the buck is the Base GL FWD with 5-spd. You get goodies like A/C, Power Windows, & CD player, all for $16,934 MSRP. The 4-cyl. with Automatic feels underpowered, but with stick, it's pretty peppy since you can use all of 156 ib-ft. of torque at only 3000 rpm. The best part about this package is that it gives you 21/28 mpg (city/hwy) fuel economy, which is unheard of in SUV's.

My girlfriend has a '99 Tiburon with 34,000 miles already, and no problems whatsoever. Good luck shopping!
  • papimompapimom Member Posts: 11
    When doing city driving at 35-40 mph, is it more fuel efficient to be in 3rd gear at a higher rpm or 4th gear at a lower rpm? Some vehicles have overdrive that you can turn on or off. The Santa Fe doesn't have that. How does that affect the shifting? Is is more fuel efficient to shift yourself so the rpm's are higher when you shift into each gear? Thanks for any insight!!
  • ramigaramiga Member Posts: 1
    What kinds of deals are people getting on the Santa Fe? The dealer is trying to say that "people are paying sticker" because they are moving so fast!! I do not pay sticker but wondering what types of deals others are getting.
    GL, GLS or LX Thanks in advance.
  • mkim1mkim1 Member Posts: 8
    The best way to get the best fuel economy on ANY vehicle is to shift at as low RPM as possible without feeling sluggish. I consistently get higher MPG than the EPA highway estimates, since I shift between 1750 - 2000 RPM. My friends call me a grandma, but by doing this I can drive the vehicle very smoothly and save gas. Give it a try. You'll be amazed how much money you save.
  • solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    I just test drove the Santa Fe V6, and was suprised at what a solid vehicle this was. I already have a 2000 Toyota Solara that I love, but get bored with cars fast. I was looking at Rav 4, but do notlike the 4 cylinder whining engine. Santa Fe seemsed to have good power, and a nice firm feel, but was a bit loud when accelerating. The dealer I went to woud not go below sticker, and this was the secon time this has happened to me with SUV's. Is everyone paying sticker these days??? Between Rav 4 and Santa Fe, I cant figure why the dealers wont budge below sticker, and seem to have the same cars sitting on their lots for several weeks. Anyone have a suggestion, as I do not believe in aying sticker for a car.
  • radkins6radkins6 Member Posts: 12
    In the past two weeks I've looked at and test driven most of the midsize SUVs currently on the market, and I can honestly say that the one I am most impressed with is the Santa Fe. I have now test driven the GLS twice. I like everything about it--the fit and finish are great, the V6 engine has plenty of power for my driving style, the interior is very roomy and comfortable, and it offers more standard equipment than anything else I've looked at. I plan on buying a FWD GLS as it seems the best value to me, and AWD isn't something I want or need here in Omaha. As far as price negotiations, I haven't started that process yet but will let you all know what happens.

I had such a negative impression of Hyundai until I saw and drove the Santa Fe, but now have no hesitation in buying one.
  • camaclecamacle Member Posts: 15
    I have been told that the GLS I have ordered is in transit and should be on the dealer's lot in a few days. I hope the information is correct, but if so, I must admit that the dealership will be as good as its word. I paid sticker, although I worked to get the price down. Part of my effort was placed in getting the car I wanted w/o certain "extras" I didn't really want: ABS, and the $180 rood rack bars. It seems that my choices were limited to pay sticker now, or wait it out....and the wait for a much lower price on the Santa Fe will be a while. Besides, the negotiating room on the Santa Fe is much less than in other cars of this type. Even at sticker, the Santa Fe comes in at a better value (it seems to me) than a comparable Tribute/Escape bought near invoice. And I think the Hyundai will be less troublesome. More on this after I finally get the car.

Thanks to all in this forum for sharing their views. It has been very helpful.
  • mrtwix500mrtwix500 Member Posts: 18
    We took the second and final drive 70 miles west (to Joplin, MO) last night and picked up our new 2001 2WD Santa Fe LX V6 in Black Obsidian.... Let me describe it in 3 words... SWEET, SWEET, SWEET!!!

It was very comfortable driving home (got back by 10:30pm)... All in all, I KNOW we made the right decision in choosing this vehicle... It is extremely well-made and all the parts fit very well! The CD player sounds much better than it looks with the six speaker system that comes standard in the LX... The seat warmers word very well (I got too hot and had to turn mine off).. My wife took it to work today as she will be its primary driver so I will report more this weekend when I have more time in it...

You can't go wrong with this vehicle!!! The only bad experience I've had with it is the dealer I bought it from (like any other)... But now that we are done with the deal, I'm looking ahead...

BTW, our insurance for six months full-coverage is $334.80 with no tickets or wrecks on our record (and with all the safety devices installed on the SF)... Not bad but I am going to try to get a better rate elsewhere...

MrTwix
  • jcgsojcgso Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

After following this board and the Tribute/Escape boards for some time and test driving all three, I think I'm going to go for the Santa Fe tonight. It seems to be the best vehicle for the money. The one thing I'd really like as an option would be a sunroof.
    I'm going to offer $500.00 over invoice for a LX/AWD with ABS. The dealer said he thought the manager would accept that offer for an order. We'll see about that.
    Anyway, I would really appreciate reports from some owners like adamjrae on pros/cons/mpg/problems, etc. Thanks too all.

Jeff
  • rde2rde2 Member Posts: 7
    Had my santa fe for approx 1 month now. LX white,problems encounted to date...Broken door lock on glove box on first day,both hooks that hold down the floor mats have broken off into pieces by driver and passenger hitting them with their heels of their shoes while entering/exiting the vehicle and last complaint is the armrest center is too low and to small. Other then first years vehicle problems,nothing else to report. Had traded in a 98 Grand Gh Jeep ride is 100% better for santa fe
  • brutherfordbrutherford Member Posts: 18
    I was wondering if anyone in the Houston area has purchased a Santa Fe yet, and if so from which dealer. Did they try to sell above MSRP or not?

I will be purchasing a Santa Fe, in the next 3 to 4 weeks so I am very interested to know. Counting down the last 980 miles on my 'ol 86 F150 to hit that 300K mark and trade her in.
  • lucas33lucas33 Member Posts: 8
    Can somebody help me to understand "edmund's" description about V6 GL AWD?

It says :in addition to GLS equipment (which is Front and rear colored bumpers;
    colored bodyside cladding; additional exterior lights include front fog/driving lights; driver's and passenger's
    power remote body-colored heated folding outside mirrors; 6 speakers; cruise control with steering wheel
    controls; power door locks, remote keyless entry; first aid kit; panic alarm, security system; fixed-interval rear
    wiper, rear window defroster; premium cloth seats, leather-wrapped gearshift knob; leather-wrapped steering
    wheel; cargo cover, cargo net; colored grille and body-colored door handles)it has Full-time AWD; front and rear
    body-colored bumpers; body-colored bodyside cladding; driver's and passenger's manual remote black folding
    outside mirrors; 4 speakers; cloth seats, leatherette door trim insert; body-colored grille and black door
    handles.

Is it my understanding or that what it is? And one more question to experts: Full time AWD means you cant switch to 2WD when you want? Your response will be very much apreciated.
  • schoonerschooner Member Posts: 1
    I believe that Edmunds made a misprint. It should be "in addition to the GL". The stuff you mention is on the GLS but an option on the GL, and is listed as a 995 dollar option. AWD on the Santa Fe is front wheel drive but engages the rear wheels when the front wheels slip and it is full time. No switch to turn it on and off. hope this helps some.
  • georgefarmergeorgefarmer Member Posts: 98
    Anyone had their santa Fe in the mud, snow etc. to see how it does?
    Thank you,Schooner, very much. Your response helped. I want to make sure, like you said,rear wheels only engage when front slip only.I understand it: rears are not engaged while you are driving on normal road,without rain and slip. Or they are engaged all the time? Sorry for being pain in the neck,but it's important for me. Thank you.
    Did somebody hear about these minivans? Are they going to be on American Market or it's Korean - European Markets only?I found them at www.hyundai-motor.com/eng/vehicles/ve-subindex0101.htm. If somebody has any information,please share it.Maybe these vehicles will come on American market next (2002) year?
    Referring to that web page - it may not be able to open. If not - try http://www.hyundai-motor.com/eng/vehicles/product/galloper/index.htm

Then find either "Showroom" or "RV"
  • ranger47ranger47 Member Posts: 32
    correct... only front wheel drive unless they slip and the rear wheels kick in in a 60/40 front to rear split. Some AWD vehicles are AWD all the time, but not the Santa FE and not the Escape or Tribute either. But the Escape/ Tribute do have a switch to turn on 4wd.
    Thanks a lot, now I got the idea.
  • squiremarcsquiremarc Member Posts: 16
    Still considering purchasing a Santa Fe in the spring,however every article I seem to read has a different towing capacity rating! The pre-release brochure (Canada) I have, rates it at 3500 lbs, the new brochure rates it at 2200 lbs, and I've seem ratings as low as 1200 lbs (V6)on some sites, something about if you have abs or not(??????)
    My concern is that we own a 15.5 foot fibreglass bowrider, when loaded with our camping gear, probably weighs in close to this limit(2200 lbs). I'm really leaning towards the Santa Fe, but I'd hate to have to go to my second choice (Tribute) simply because the towing capacity is inadequate. The 'Fe already comes with a transmission fluid cooler, so adding that won't increase capacity. We currently own an MPV (V6) which has a towing package (4500 lb cap. tranny fluid cooler, larger fan, and air leveller shocks) which puts out 150 HP,I believe, and it pulls the boat no problem. Note that here in Canada, only the AWD version is available, and some people have told me that the FWD version would have a higher towing capacity. I still have not test driven one yet, as every time I pop in to the dealer, they have just sold the last one. Any thoughts?
  • roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    I just got my Santa Fe GLS FWD yesterday. I was very pleased with the deal. It had a MSRP of $19,994 (included crossrails and carpeted floormats). The dealer had already added a paint protectant ($99) and pin striping ($49). I got the vehicle for $19,418. The three dealers in my area did not have the GLS FWD. In fact, I was told either that it does not come with the FWD or that I would have to order it from the factory and wait. So I used Autobytel and got a call from a Dealer that was about 70 miles away that had what I wanted on the lot. The dealer was Kerry of Florence (Kentucky).
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I have been shopping for a Mini to Midsize SUV for the past few weeks -- yet my 'shopping' has only consisted of Internet research as well as reading the lastest Consumer Reports edition on '2001 New Car Previews'.

So far I have considered the 2001 Toyota RAV4, Subauru Forester S, and just recently the Santa Fe. Never having owned a non-US made vehicle, I am skeptical of all three - but especially the Subaru and Hyundai. What adds to my worries is that living in Central WI, the nearest dealers of all three of these are between 20 - 35 miles away.

But specifically, and contributing to my skepticism is HOW can the Hyundai be so inexpensive with all the equipment it has??? Apart of me says that Korea manufacurers (from TVs to Microwaves) has not been a hot-bed of quality, and everyone has heard the saying 'you get want you pay for'....

So I ask for everyone's help. Convince me. How can Hyundai combine quality with low price?

My thanks to all in advance...
    This is what the Owners Manual for the 2001 2WD Santa Fe LX V6 says about towing:

CAUTION:
    Do not do any towing with your car during it's first 1,200 miles (2,000 km) in order to allow the engine to properly break in. Fialure to heed this caution may result in serious engine or transaxle damage.

TRAILER WEIGHT LIMIT:
    -Keep the tongue load 10% of the total trailer load
    -Total Trailer Weight divided by Tongue Load x 100 = 10% (MAX)
    -Tongue loads can be increased or decreased by re-distibuting the load in the trailer. This can be verified by checking the total weight of the loaded trailer and then checking the load on the tongue.

NOTE:
    1. Never load the trailer with more weight in the back than the front. About 60% of the trailer load should be in the front half of the trailer and the remaining 40% in the rear.
    2. The total gross vehicle weight with trailer must not exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) shown on the vehicle identification plate. The total gross vehicle weight is the combined weight of the vehicle, driver, all passengers and their luggage, cargo, hitch, trailer tongue load and other optional equipment.
    3. The front or rear axle weight must not exceed the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) shown on the vehicle identification plate. It is possible that your towing package does not exceed the GVWR but exceeds the GAWR. Improper trailer loading and/or too much luggage in the cargo area can overload the rear axle. Redistribute the load and check the axle weight again.

CAUTION:
    The following specifications are recommended when towing a trailer. The loaded trailer weight cannot safely excced the values shown below:
    1a. Engine -2.4(2WD) w/brake - Max Trailer=1200lbs Max Tongue=120lbs
    1b. Engine -2.7(2WD) w/brake - Max Trailer=2700lbs Max Tongue=270lbs
    2a. Engine -2.4(2WD) w/o brake - Max Trailer=1000lbs Max Tongue=100lbs
    2b. Engine -2.7(2WD) w/o brake - Max Trailer=1200lbs Max Tongue=120lbs
    2c. Engine -2.7(4WD) w/o brake - Max Trailer=1200lbs Max Tongue=120lbs
    3a. Engine -2.4(2WD) w/o brake+ABS - Max Trailer=1200lbs Max Tongue=120lbs
    3b. Engine -2.7(2WD) w/o brake+ABS - Max Trailer=1500lbs Max Tongue=150lbs
    3c. Engine -2.7(4WD) w/o brake+ABS - Max Trailer=1500lbs Max Tongue=150lbs

Hope this helps you and everyone else!

MrTwix
  • squiremarcsquiremarc Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info Mr Twix!
    While Mazda "HAS PUT THE S BACK IN SUV" it seems Hyundai has forgotton about it!!!!!!
    Where did the 2200 lbs rating in my brochure go to? Hyundai should of perhaps considered people who might buy this vehicle might be boaters or campers. I did a little research today, and calculatated that my boat, motor and trailer weigh in at about 1300 pounds. That's cutting it a little too close.Even the new LIGHTWEIGHT tent trailers today weigh about 1500-1700 lbs., so it seems that Hyundai has cut off a lot of potential customers, in my opinion. How can Mazda up their cap from 2000 to 3500 lbs with just the addition of an ENGINE OIL COOLER, when Hyundai can't even get a 2000 lbs rating. I don't expect to tow a huge house trailer, just a small boat and motor!!! Putting BRAKES on my boat trailer in not an option I would consider,it's only a 15.5 foot boat!!!!!!!
  • khjkhj Member Posts: 22
    I went to my dealer today to actually purchase or atleast put a deposit down on a Santa Fe. I actually thought I was getting a decent (fair) price being I was quoted $350 over invoice. I have been talking with this dealer since July/Aug. when I was looking into the Mazda Tribute until I saw the Santa Fe sitting in the showroom next door. She said the $579 Advertising Fee is what the dealer paid to purchase the car & I would have to pay it if I want the car. They also gave me a copy of the invoice showing this but I'm not quite so sure its official. For $579 I should get my own commercial! There are 2 columns - 1) MSRP - which doesn't include Adv. fee - as if it was already included in the suggested price & 2) the Dealer Cost column - which does include this price. If I was buying the Tribute - I was told this adv. fee is already included in the price & that's why you don't see it.

Have any of you who have purchased been told or seen this advertising fee & how much was it?
  • darryl10darryl10 Member Posts: 37
    Dealers can wave any piece of paper in front of you, but that doesn't make it so. Why does a dealer need to charge $579 to get a car? Don't they buy the car and resell it to you? I would simply say "no".If they want to sell you the car, they will drop that charge. If not, then walk away. Not to disparage Hyundai, but they do have a less than steller reputation for quality, and all first year model cars are prone to teething problems, so, if you have your heart set, you would be better off putting off the purchase of a Santa Fe, when dealers are less likely to stick you and when the car is likely to be better.
  • ffitzffitz Member Posts: 13
    In response to the skepticism by some (#342), it is a matter of economics that Hyundai can sell their vehicles with great content at a lower and dare I say "fair" price. They are doing what Toyota, Nissan (Back then Datsun), and others did when they first began really selling their vehicles here in the U.S. They can build them cheaper, so they can sell them cheaper. I have been to Korea while I was in the Air Force and there was a big difference between the dollar and the Korean currency (WON). This is the reason so many manufacturers are having their vehicles built in Mexico, and with vehicles being expensive to produce in Germany, Some (BMW & Mercedes) have turned to the U. S. in order to keep prices down on some of their models.

I have looked at the Sante Fe and must say that it is quite a vehicle for the money. I have not driven one yet, but through the wisdom of learning the value of a dollar, reality takes precedent over wanting something with "prestige".I have sat in one and played with every feature. It was an LX w/leather. The switches do not feel cheap. The fan blower is quiet at full speed. Folding the rear seats is painless. Yet it still looks rugged. I too had my concerns w/resale value and reliabilty. But Hyndai is ranked near the top of the J.D. Power survey for customer satisfaction. Everyone who I have spoken with who has one is more than happy with it. As for resale value, it also equals supply and demand. I live in Alaska, and for what this vehicle is, and pretending not to be an all-out off roader also (as many do), it seems to be a solid entry. I have a brochure right next to me and I will be taking the plunge as soon as a couple of other priorities are taken care of. I cannot justify paying close to 30k for a vehicle when a vehicle at 22-23k will do the same, unless you are into what your neighbors will think. You cannot go wrong with Hyundai's 10 year-100,000 mile powertrain warranty;5 year 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty; 5 year roadside assistance (you never know when you may need it). Factor in those intangibles along with the gas mileage, and you can appreciate what you are getting for your money. I had an Isuzu Trooper and sold it last year. I was looking for something smaller that would still be versatile. In the Hyundai Sante Fe, I think that I have found it. Sorry for being so long winded. This is ny first post! Good Luck everyone.
  • suvlooker1suvlooker1 Member Posts: 2
    I know that the Santa Fe 2001 is the first production of this SUV. No one seems to be complaining of any problems, as of yet, but once more people buy them, it's possible that there will be . This is the situation with the Tribute. It's been out longer and has had recall after recall that no one expected. The only complaint I read about the SF, in all reviews, is the poor acceleration. Is it possible that this and upcoming complaints will be fixed when the 2002 comes out? Should we wait a few more months? It might even come with a sunroof!
    I thought the same thing before I went ahead and purchased my LX last week... Knock on wood, I hope we have zero recalls but, with any new/used car, that is always a possibility... At least with the warranty the Hyundai has, I don't have to worry about cash out of pocket (for other than recall items) for many years to come..

As far as power, if you are looking for a super charged SUV, then the Santa Fe is probably not the one for you. However, to its credit, the power is ample for most driving situations..

You and only you know your current situation.. If you are able to wait another year until the 2002 models arrive to see if changes have been made to the motor and sunroof added, then ok.. You might also wait to your detriment as prices may go up as popularity increases not to mention shipping times being pushed back due to slow productivity (Chrysler PT Cruiser) and other new problems may arise..

Remember, more options (bigger engine, sunroof, etc) usually add more to the overall price (not to mention decreased mileage for those bigger engines)... If money is no object to you then do what you have to do.. I wanted more bang for my buck and this vehicle seemed to fit the mold... If the only complaint anyone can really say about it is that it needs more power, then (too me) that isn't enough to warrant anyone not to purchase it... (unless, of course, POWER is your only criteria for purchasing)

I needed a new vehicle now as my old vehicle was on its last leg... I determined, that since I needed something now, the best value all around for the money is the Santa Fe. If you can wait to have more peace of mind, then power to you.

So far, after 4 days of ownership, I can still feel good about my decision to buy the Santa Fe... Ask me in a month or even a year and I'm sure I will feel the same way..

btw, I filled up yesterday (at a half tank) and I computed the following:

Starting Mileage - 62 (Off the Dealer's Lot)
    FillUp 11/18/00 - Odometer Reading - 270
    Miles Driven - 208
    Gallons Used - 7.993
    Dollar Per Gallon - $1.389 (88 Octane)
    Total Dollar Paid - $11.10
    Total Gas Mileage - 26.022 mpg (3/4 Hwy - 1/4 City)
    Total Dollar per mile - .05 cents

Needless to say, I was very happy with these preliminary results.. As with any new car, you really don't get the true (and most times BETTER) mileage until the engine has been completely broken in (around 10,000 miles)... Even if I stayed around 26mpg, I would be happy as it is a vast increase over my last vehicle...

Bottom line: If you (or anyone) is looking to purchase an SUV in this class, DRIVE it for yourself... Your idea of a good ride, power and luxury will most likely differ from the next guy (or gal)... Only you (the purchaser) can make the decision for you!

Food for thought!

MrTwix
  • blkstarblkstar Member Posts: 15
    I just picked up my Santa Fe GLS (Merlot) two days ago, and I am extremely delighted. They paid off my trade-in and gave me the SF for $300 over invoice. To those of you who are really skeptical about the craftsmanship of this vehicle, I would suggest you test drive one at the dealer for yourself, but don't deal with the salesperson. Go to autobytel, edmunds or carpoint and try to contact a dealer in your area who deals with internet consumers. I believe that you will get a better price and not have to haggle with the bottom line as much if you were walking up to a dealership. It's been great so far, fingers crossed, and I have turned many heads with its "aggressive" looks. If I have any problems, this will be the first place I go to voice them. Thanks again to all the honest posts that helped me make my decision.
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Formatting problem but you will get the idea

Power and Poise Put Ford on Top

By CHERYL JENSEN

HREE years ago, when I had a chance to directly compare small
    sport utilities, they were easy to rank: Subaru Forester first, Honda
    CR-V second and Toyota RAV4 third. There are more players now,
    and they are better -- but harder to choose among.

1. FORD ESCAPE With an independent rear suspension and
    rack-and-pinion steering, the Escape handled accurately and predictably,
    and it rode well. On loose, washboard surfaces, it refused to skitter or
    skate. Although a four-cylinder engine and five-speed manual
    transmission are standard, we drove a fancier XLT with a V-6 and
    four-speed automatic, which upshifted smoothly, downshifted quickly
    and didn't hunt for gears on hills. The economy rating is only 18 m.p.g. in
    town, but the Escape can tow 3,500 pounds -- by far the most in this
    group.

The four-wheel-drive system is automatic, but it also has a dashboard
    switch that locks the center differential, splitting the torque equally
    between front and rear wheels -- an advantage in deep snow.

Though it is 17 inches shorter than a four-door Explorer, the Escape feels
    relatively big, and its 33 cubic feet of cargo capacity give it a slight edge.
    The XLT's reclining, split rear seat folds very flat, and the rear seatbacks
    recline for comfort. On the minus side, there are head restraints and
    shoulder belts for only two back-seat passengers.

Other interior touches were also unimpressive: a flimsy rear cargo cover,
    a balky seat-folding mechanism and sloppy-fitting upholstery that partly
    covered the lower child-seat anchors.

2. TOYOTA RAV4 The last RAV4 was severely space-challenged, but
    the '01 is roomier. The second-row seats slide 6 inches fore and aft,
    providing a tradeoff between legroom and cargo space. They can even
    be removed.

The RAV4 is nimble, too, and easy to drive, although its body
    movements are not as well controlled as the Escape's.

Although the base price of $19,145 is attractive, it does not include
    features standard on the Escape, like antilock brakes and
    air-conditioning. But prospective buyers might consider that Toyota has a
    better record than Ford on quality and reliability, according to several
    customer surveys, and that the Escape was the object of four recalls
    before it had begun to sell in volume.

3. (tie) HYUNDAI SANTA FE In my view, third place is a tossup
    between the Hyundai and the Subaru, which are actually quite different.
    Someone who wants a more trucklike vehicle, with a lot of features at a
    reasonable price, may find a lot to like in the Santa Fe. Those who want
    more of an all-wheel-drive station wagon should be pleased with the new
    Forester.

I liked the Santa Fe's exterior styling, and that swoopy design carried
    over nicely to the interior. The softer ride results in a fair amount of body
    lean. The Hyundai did not seem as quick as the Escape; it was the
    heaviest vehicle in the group, and it had less horsepower and torque than
    the Ford.

3. (tie) SUBARU FORESTER The Forester feels the most like a car,
    although its ride was a bit stiff. And compared with the Escape, RAV4
    and Santa Fe, washboard surfaces seemed to bother it more.

The Forester's new features for 2001 include a 31.5-inch sunroof that
    extends over part of the back seat. The downside is that it cuts into
    headroom back there.

5. HONDA CR-V Compared with the others, the CR-V felt most like a
    nose-heavy, front-drive car. Over a broken surface, the rear tended to
    hop and skitter, and the Honda felt less agile than the lighter RAV4. Nor
    did the CR-V seem as sturdy or stable as the others, especially on rough
    roads. But it does have clever touches, including a cargo cover that turns
    into a picnic table and a deep bin for wet clothes under the rear floor.
  • autoteenautoteen Member Posts: 12
    After reading Shabazz's ESSAY on Different types of 4x4, AWD, etc, I was wondering, what kind does the Santa Fe have? Limited Slip, or Open??? Or is the answer so obvious, and im just missing something here (Probably this answer is the right one :D )?
  • darryl10darryl10 Member Posts: 37
    The Santa Fe has open differentials. So, if you can find a condion where a tire in the front and rear have no traction, you can be stuck. The top of the line model with chrome handles and leather will come with a limited slip as standard equipment. As for front wheel drive with limited slip vs awd...well, if you arrive at a Caltrans (CA) road block where they will only let you drive if you have awd/4wd or chains....you can argue the merits of fwd and a limit slip diff all you want, but they will merely smile and make you chain up, even you have brand new studded snow tires on all fours, and traction control to boot!! If you get caught not chained up, they will ticket you and make you pay for the towing of your car!
  • adamjraeadamjrae Member Posts: 65
    I'm glad I canceled my Mazda Tribute order when I did. 5 recalls in 3 months from the National Highway Safety Association and now a problem with the windshield wipers! Everybody says "oh ya but at least Ford/Mazda are finding the problems and fixing them". NO COMPANY SHOULD HAVE 5 RECALLS IN 3 MONTHS ON A NEW CAR....NO COMPANY AT ALL. You should work out the bugs and test it BEFORE you start selling a car. Ford is just being sloppy and what else are we going to hear about? I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe the beginning of October and it's a new car for Hyundai and there is not 1 Recall on the Santa Fe. I love my Santa Fe....let me say that again...I LOVE MY SANTA FE! ! !. Not one major or even minor problem !
    I'm glad I got a Santa Fe
  • leigh8leigh8 Member Posts: 14
    We are a family of four with kids ages 10 and 12. We have not had a chance to try the Santa Fe out yet but are interested in whether this vehicle would work for us. Can anyone who owns the vehicle tell us how comfortable it would be for the four of us?

We just started looking at the small SUV market vs. the midsize sedans. Gas mileage and comfort are top priorities due to our putting around 20,000 miles a year on our vehicles. SUV would be handy due to 12 yr old showing the dog at shows around the area. Any help would be appreciated.
  • luv2uluv2u Member Posts: 2
    OK You guys - I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    I do love it but love the Santa Fe also. My Jeep is not fancy - Cassette - No fog lights, etc. I am not sure which one is the top of the line Santa Fe (no leather seats). How many of you would trade for one even though it sounds like I would trade down. My Jeep was sticker price 28,000. I don't want to make a mistake!!!!
  • autoteenautoteen Member Posts: 12
    A SUV would be a good alternative to a Minivan, IMHO, but it depends if your kids fight alot. For a minivan, one kid takes the second row, the other takes the third, and gets rid of MOST chances of an argument. An SUV would be a good car if your children can behave themselves, and because of the dog, i dont think you'd want dog hair all over the thrid row bench when you're too lazy to fold it up... My family and I sat in the SF, and took it for a test drive, the rear seats are very comfortable, all the seats in the car are very comfortable when i think about it.
    Does anybody knows exact MSRP on ABS. Does Hyundai offer them separate, without any additional "packages" or they bundle ABS (that is standard on many vehicles) with features somebody may not need?
    ABS on the GLS is $595 Option Package 12. On the LX it is $890 Option Package 13.

Package 12 is ABS and Traction Control.
    Package 13 has that plus dimming rear view mirror and heated front seats.
  • shabazzshabazz Member Posts: 31
    One area the Santa Fe will "suffer" more is during "high altitude" operations. Obviously, with less starting power, it will be more affected at altitudes above 5000ft--RELATIVELY speaking, than would a vehicle with a larger, more powerful engine, because it has a lower "reserve".
    At 7500ft elevation, the Santa Fe V6 would produce around 144hpMAX, with a noticable decrease in felt power.
    Something like a Jeep with the 4.0L would also drop by 25%, to 146hp MAX, HOWEVER, this is where the big displacement engine really shines...the Jeep engine would still produce substantial torque in the "normal" rpm band.
    Just a little tidbit for others to ponder before they hook a 1500lb trailer behind their Santa Fe and head for Vail, CO.
    Thank you again for answering me. It was my fault Ididn't mention I am going to buy V6 GL AWD, no need for GLS and LX for me. Any way I can buy ABS spending 500-600 extra for GL trim?
  • roadkill55roadkill55 Member Posts: 25
    I just purchased my Santa Fe last week. I have a 5'7" son that is still growing (11 years old) and another that is 5 years old and will probably be just as big. This was one of the major reasons that I got the Santa Fe. They are very comfortable in the back seat. In fact, I rode in the back on a short 15 mile trip and I was just as comfortable in the back seat as in the front. I am 6'2" tall.

I hope that this helps in making your decision.
  • jcgsojcgso Member Posts: 7
    I also have a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I am trying to sell it and will buy a Santa Fe LX. I also thought I was trading down, but after two test drives, I'm convinced it's a great vehicle. I don't do any true off-rode driving, so the Santa Fe's AWD system is all I need for bad weather and the occasional dirt road. I do wish a sun roof was available, but I can live without it. My big problem is, I can not find a Santa Fe LX, 4WD w/ABS/Traction anywhere in North Carolina. I called Hyundai's customer service and they are checking dealer's allotments for me. I will likely have to buy somewhere in the northeast.
  • kbeckerkbecker Member Posts: 17
    My insurance agent tells me that my Santa Fe's VIN is wrong, even though I'd read it off my car for him. He says it keeps coming up as a Hyundai Sonata. And that's what it says on my insurance policy right now. My husband's Santa Fe VIN is also coming up as a Sonata. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.
  • georgefarmergeorgefarmer Member Posts: 98
    Looking at a V6 gls or maybe lx but none have abs. Is that a problem to but without abs?
  • pcchinpcchin Member Posts: 2
    Have you tried out your VIN numbers using carfax.com to see if it can decode it? It correctly tells me about my GLS. Hmm, maybe that's why our insurance seems cheaper

-PC
    Appears to be bad news getting ABS on a GL. It looks like it will go around $1500 because it includes the utility package. That puts you up at the GLS level. So the price of a GL and a GLS are going to be about the same when one wants ABS....