Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    The D3 have never shown any real interest in the Japanese market. If they were serious about selling to Japanese drivers, they'd have to spend money to build cars with the driver's controls on the right side, since the Japanese drive on the left side of the road. But the U.S. car makers made it clear more than 30 years ago that they didn't want to make this investment.

Exactly. And when you look at the costs of redesign, and the maturity of the Japanese market, and the fact that they typically drive very small vehicles (an area where the US makers have not been competitive, historically), it is not the Japanese fault that the D3 don't sell a lot there.

If I'm a D3 executive, I go for at a market with much more growth potential - China. Which is exactly what GM is doing, and apparently doing well at.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter wants to interview a recent carbuyer who considered new and used, and decided on new because the deal was better. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Nov 17, 2010 with your brief story and your daytime contact info.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Amen, brother! There's a high cost to those "low prices!" America, stop "bargain-shopping" yourself out of a job and a future!
    Slogans of former industrial cities:

TRENTON MAKES, THE WORLD TAKES
    WHAT CHESTER MAKES MAKES CHESTER

Well, Trenton makes nearly nothing nowadays because the world took its jobs.
    Nothing is made in Chester these days, so what does that make Chester?
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, and Hong Lo doesn't have OSHA or the EPA to protect him either. Hong Lo gets a princely $40 for the hand he lost in a 70 year-old machine brought over from the U.S. or Europe from which the safeguards were removed to speed up production. Han Lo's body will also be like a Superfund site due to all the toxic chemicals and heavy metals to which it was exposed because his corporate overlords could care less about the effect a filthy environment has on him and his brethren.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    But isn't that a problem for his country, not ours???...sure, if you personally want to boycott products from Nation X because they don't protect their workers, then do so...people all over the world probably lose body parts, and have lost them for decades, due to machines that are always dangerous...are we really any more civilized because we pay a worker $50K for losing a hand???

Is it always the company's fault???...how about drunk UAW workers who endanger themselves and others by working drunk, yet the union grievance process keeps them on the assembly line for two years before they can be fired???...why don't you boycott US union made products because they KEEP workers on the line in a condition that ruins the product, can ruin the worker, and possibly some other innocent worker next to them???
    I've worked in union shops and they were infinitely safer than non-union shops. I never experienced any danger from an intoxicated or drugged co-worker. The machinery was in top-notch condition and the physical environment was clean.

The non-union shops were filled with the drunks, druggies, and ex-cons because they would work cheap and nobody else wanted them. I swore most of them only showed up at work because they promised them a cheap bottle of rotgut whiskey at the end of the shift. A lot of these guys looked like they were scraped off a subway platform. The working conditions were filthy and the equipment was outdated and faulty. I got out of these places the second an opening was available at a respectable employer.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,139
    I'm in Germany right now, been here for several days and will be here for a while longer...and I am shocked at how little Chinese made crap there is here. You'd love it...there's even a group of big Yank-tank fetishists.
    Funny you should mention that. I was at the Cadillac-LaSalle Club's Grand National meet in Cherry Hill, NJ two years ago and I met two guys from Germany that were huge Cadillac fans. Nice to see there's a country that still values substance and quality over cheapness. I was thinking of buying this nice toy truck/bulldozer set for my little nephew for Xmas. It's made by Bruder, a German company.

I remember when Tonka toys were made with this kind of quality, but you'd have to go back almost 40 years ago when I was a kid. Even Tonka is now low-grade cheap Chinese-manufactured garbage! Sad.
    Late model Caddys are very rare here - most I see are late 90s Seville/Eldo or strangely enough, SRX. But they do exist. Of course, a 50s or 60s model would be a hit...it's funny how people who resent model America love the style of the past...then again...maybe they are on to something...

Some toy companies have been moved, but many remain. I bought a Steiff stuffed animal for a present...still made in Germany. But what I noticed were things like restaurant cutlery and tableware, toothbrushes and beauty products, small appliances...even the flowerpot on my desk...all made in Germany. It's not that way in the US.
    Wow! You'd have to go back almost an equal amount of time to see U.S. manufactured restaurant cutlery and tableware, toothbrushes and beauty products, small appliances. I still have a Proctor-Silex iron I bought in 1988 that was made in the U.S. It's nice to see the Germans still maintain their industrial base. What's up with our country?

I think foreign people admired the U.S. back in the day when it made those impressive 1950s Cadillacs. They resent it for what it later became.
  • keystonecarfankeystonecarfan Member Posts: 181
    I don't remember Tonka toys ever being THAT good. Even the King-Size Matchbox toys didn't have that level of detail.

That truck and trailer is too nice for children. I wouldn't let a child play with that in the dirt.
    Cheaper cheaper cheaper so wealth can consolidate and that good ol socio-economic gap can explode. Race to the bottom, dumb it down a notch every generation, and see what you get. That's what's happening.

Oh yeah, I just looked...the plastic trash can under my desk was made in Germany. I doubt the one at home was made in a first world nation, nor would I even have a choice to purchase one made in such a place if I wanted.
    I dunno. I seem to recall having a Nylint or Buddy L, (remember those?) tow truck that was very nicely detailed with wide whitewall rubber tires and tiny stainless steel hubcaps. Still, there is a lot of nice detail in that Bruder toy. You won't see that kind of quality from Mattel!
    That's one approach I take. If I can't find a product made in the U.S., I at least try to find one made in a first-world country as a subtitute rather than buying some trash from some third-world toilet. It's getting harder and harder each day. It seems I will hang on to my U.S. made products forever or do without. Pretty soon I may be doing all my durable goods shopping at antique marts!
  • keystonecarfankeystonecarfan Member Posts: 181
    The new Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars (Mattel owns both brands) are actually very high quality in detail and design, considering their size and price.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    If you need a toaster go onto Ebay and plug in Sunbeam T. These things were made from maybe the 30s to early 60s and are built like Buicks of the time. The are a cool art deco design and there are still loads of them still working fine.

Added bonus - the bread magically lowers itself down and comes back up - no lever. When I was a kid I thought it was a magic trick.

Made in USA of course.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I'm in Germany right now

Are you just becoming a part of that globalist race to the bottom? :P ;)
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    I recently bought a pair of jeans. Usually, I buy Eddie Bauer as they're pretty comfy. They're not made here, of course. This time, I found a pair of USA made Diamond Gusset jeans. Made in Tennessee They cost a few bucks more, but they're a little more comfortable and seem durable enough. I plan on buying another pair soon. Now if I could find some decent running shoes made here. Asics, Nike, Brooks . . . all made overseas.
    Have you tried New Balance? They have a several models made in USA - running and walking shoes. Sadly the rest of their line is imported but they really try while remaining competitive.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm wearing some (Chinese) New Balance sneaks right now and shopping for another pair. Joe's New Balance Outlet has the US made and US assembled ones highlighted at their online site.
    "If you need a toaster go onto Ebay and plug in Sunbeam T. These things were made from maybe the 30s to early 60s and are built like Buicks of the time. The are a cool art deco design and there are still loads of them still working fine."

Can't I just open a new account at a bank and get a free toaster???... :P ;)
    Wow. You ARE old!

Of course I believe we're somewhere around teh same age so we'll drop that one...
    I, uh, read about that in my history book...ancient Greek history, I think, or maybe the Fall of the Roman Empire...:):):)
    Can't I just open a new account at a bank and get a free toaster???...

No, the deal is: open up a "Free" checking account... then pay $39 if you overdraft (per item), $3.00 if you use another bank's ATM, $10 to talk to a human in the bank, $5 to look in the window, $15 to replace your lost ATM card. Oh, and by the way, have some free coffee in the lobby....

I don't know why so many people insist on being reamed from the rear by these bailed out banks. I dumped my megabank and am much happier at the credit union. Unlike the cable TV provider, I DO have a choice in banking. I wish everybody who banks with one of the megabanks who were bailed out would take their business elsewhere.... they deserve to fail.... like GM! (See how consistent I am philosophically? :D )
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    Yes, I have tried the USA New Balances. 993s, I think, and they were horrible. Then I tried a pair of Asics, and WOW! Much more comfortable. I don't run in them, just walk from 4 to 9 miles a day here in the OR. I've got crappy feet, so I need as much comfort as possible. Perhaps I'll give NB another chance, just not with the 993 model.
    I do understand that New Balance isn't for everyone. They are all I wear but my wife is never comfortable in them. I think she said too much arch in them. Anyway, Reeboks work for her. We tried anyway.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    I had a pair of New Balance awhile ago. IIRC, the label said "Made in America with imported materials". As I recall, they were uncomfortable as hell until they broke in, but then felt great. But they didn't hold up well.

And, their numbering system ensured they'd become obsolete, for people who had to have the latest fashion. Just like putting "1956" in the center of a Buick's grille doesn't seem like such a hot idea when suddenly it's 1957, putting "803" on the side of a shoe pretty much does the same thing once the 804 comes out.
    Yeah, funny thing that.They went from the 601 to the 601 all the way to the 109 and then started again. they've got so many different shoes I'm amazed that each pair doesn't have a unique model number!
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2010
    As I recall, they were uncomfortable as hell until they broke in, but then felt great. But they didn't hold up well.

I must have had the same pair. They made my feet ache when on my feet all day. I've never bought another pair of New Balance since.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Well, if you think I would buy from a company that failed and needed taxpayer bailouts, that's not what I envision supporting the USA. It's EXACTLY a long-term view that drove Toyota, Honda and Nissan to the market share in the USA today. Hyundai is also skyrocketing. Their products are a better value. No emotion.

It's a cryin' shame that USA cars fell from grace. You can blame me and others that buy a Honda, Toyota or Hyundai.

Actually, because of us, we FORCED the issue to death's door regarding the auto companies in the USA.

You live by junk, you die by junk!

Do we have their attention NOW?? Hope so.

Regards,
    OW
    We can't make junk cars and survive either.

We used to make the best. Time to stop whining and get back to work.

Regards,
    OW
    What will bring jobs back??? Not the right question.

What jobs do we create NOW?

Then you will thrive.

Obviously, we can decide to make the best cars and DO IT! The jobs that result are the jobs that win in the market.

Regards,
    OW
    How is the USA supposed to combat issues of disparity in tariffs between what we charge and they charge?

Make the products 3X as good for the same price. The challenge is set.

Regards,
    OW
    why don't you boycott US union made products because they KEEP workers on the line in a condition that ruins the product, can ruin the worker, and possibly some other innocent worker next to them???

I am!!
    :mad:

Regards,
    OW
    What?? They have cheap US Caddies over there??

Oh, what a World!! :sick:

JK, Lemko,JK!!

Regards,
    OW
    Wow! Cool! I'd like to get one just to see the toast go down by itself. My Mom has an old toaster from about 1964 that still works! Made in U.S.A. of course! I've gone through at least three Chinese toasters in the last 10 years!
    Yeah, you'd like those old Sunbeams. About the size (and weight!) or your car battery.
    Say good-bye to all those incandescent bulbs along with their U.S. manufacturing jobs!

Not a Bright Idea

Those Chinese "squiggle" bulbs contain mercury - one of the deadliest elements on the planet. Now, every light fixture in every building is going to become a mini Superfund site! The only Mercury I want near my home is a Grand Marquis!
    Cool! I have a Western Electric rotary phone from about 1960. You could literally bury the receiver in somebody's skull it is so sturdy and heavy. Today's telephones have all the toughness of a glass Xmas ornament.
    Could you imagine Plymouth actually putting "1960" on the grille of their 1957 models?
    You live by junk, you die by junk!

Does that go for the same imported junk sold at Wal~Mart and other big box retailers? Only Wal~Mart and its ilk won't die from it, the American worker and consumer will!
    Wow, we actually agree on something.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited November 2010
    Those Chinese "squiggle" bulbs contain mercury - one of the deadliest elements on the planet. Now, every light fixture in every building is going to become a mini Superfund site! The only Mercury I want near my home is a Grand Marquis!

Do you have an old mercury thermometer in your house? If so, it contains about 500 milligrams of mercury vs. the 4-5 milligrams that a CFL bulb contains. Some CFl manufacturers are getting the mercury content under 2 milligrams. This issue as many others are way over blown.
    Heck, I am enjoying a place that IMO has at least an equal quality of life to where I live, if not better. Not seeking any bottom here :P
    That's true, the automated manufacturing process for 1:64 or so scale cars has been so perfected that they all look great today. Tampo details and molded plastic really make the cars stand out.

But, if you want to see some beautiful small scale casting, nothing beats the leading brands of pre-1970 or so British diecast.
    All I have to do to see the bottom here is look out my office window and see the ghetto a few blocks away. Philly is full of "bombed-out" neighborhoods and none were the result of Allied B-17s!
    I shop around too. I still remember being thrilled a couple years ago to see Made in USA Pyrex kitchenware.

I think I am going to bring home a couple toothbrushes to last me until I travel to the developed world again.
    Those Corgi and Dinky cars were awesome. When I was a kid, I thought the "jeweled headlights" must've been diamonds as some of those diecasts were downright expensive, especially for a kid's budget!

I still have a Gama BMW 528i I bought many years ago that' stamped "Made in West Germany."
    Funny, I guess that means you're either returning to an undeveloped country or one that seems to be devolving.