Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    Had mine for 1500 miles. One problem with the throttle position sensor, caused the engine to run erratically (still safer than the fuel leak in our Pontiac after 2000 miles!). Quickly and easily fixed at the dealer. Have a touch of rust on our left rear wheel hub - will talk with the dealer about that on the first oil change. Gas mileage about 2 MPG below what I expected.. but then again, the engine isn't really "broken in" fully. Its a fine vehicle... lots of people are pleasantly surprised by it.... I can't really say its worse with realiability than any other I've had and its got the great warranty anyway! I think the competition had better watch their backs. Yeah, its not a perfect vehicle, but its surprisingly well-built, quiet, and good power considering I have AWD... I'm really quite impressed with Hyundai so far. My family is coming over tomorrow.... a few of them are anxiously awaiting a test drive. May have a few more potential Hyundai customers by the end of the day! I stood it up next to a Trib (at our local Mazda/Hyundai dealer) and it really is a better-built vehicle. Even Consumer Reports rates the Santa Fe ahead of the Trib/Escape on potential reliability.... so I wouldn't hesitate just because of the Hyundai name.. I think that name is gaining in reputability day by day. Best wishes with your decision!
    Gang... Some one or thing has put a small gouge in the body cladding of our Santa Fe...(the car wash maybe?!). The question I have is.. can this be repaired? The cladding appears to be a typical lower body cladding with a clear coating of some sort. It does not look repairable to me.. but someone might have had an experience with this.... also, any idea as to the cost of replacement? Thanks....
  • thor9thor9 Member Posts: 26
    Here is a link to an interesting story from the Detroit news regarding sales of the Hyundai Santa Fe. (assuming it it permissible to post the link here)

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0204/06/autos-458536.htm

Interesting that they note that Hyundai has only one-sixth or one-seventh as many dealers as Ford, but sold HALF as many Santa Fe's as Ford sold Escapes.

• lfd440lfd440 Member Posts: 33
    Looking to purchase when it arrives and should be at the dealer in less than a week. LX in Merlot/lt. gray. Sticker says: $ 24,129. Invoice $22,930. And wants to sell it to me at the INVOICE price. How good of a deal is this really? AND is there somewhat of a rule of thunb to follow on how much that I SHOULD pay over the INVOICE price.? Want to buy soon in Massachusetts BUT don't want to be taken for a "ride" with a lousy deal.
    Thanks for the help out there!
    I got 3% over invoice and felt I did pretty well! You're getting an LX (I only have a GLS), so the price sounds OK (you can check on the Edmund's New Car Prices site to verify).... So I'd have no problem with invoice price! (Unless you MEANT MSRP!).... These are pretty popular vehicles (as pointed out by the post before yours!), so its tough to get invoice as it is....
    Your "imput" on this is appreciated....anyone else
    out there to give me your imput on my post ? # 3256
    Thanks in advance..
  • insomniac99insomniac99 Member Posts: 1
    We're looking at a GL AWD V6(CDN) model since we're not really fond of the leather seats in the GLS.

However, that removes ABS (EBD?), the alarm, foglights, and some other small options.

Does anyone know if the GL AWD model comes with a rear limited slip? Or do all the models?

Theres no mention in the brochure or on the website. They dont even mention anything about traction control either or what models it comes with.

Is ABS really all that necessary? Im used to driving with both so it doesnt matter either way. I mostly need good snow/ice traction. Too bad you couldnt get ABS withought leather. I found the seats quite slippery and it isnt 100% leather anyways. (Least I dont think so?)
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    First of all, nice choice! We've had our Merlot Santa Fe LX for over a year and 17k miles now and we love it. Ours is FWD, from the sticker I'm assuming yours is AWD? If you look at the KBB web site and load up an AWD LX with Cargo organizer, cargo tray, floor mats and mud guards, you get (including destination):
    MSRP: 24129 (exactly what you see on the sticker)
    Invoice: 22436 (494 less than the dealer's saying).

Whether the dealer says the difference is in a regional advertising fee or whatever, 22930 is a very fair price for that car. Try to get them to come down a little if you want, or better yet, try to get them to throw in the crossbars for the roof rack. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

-Jason
    Thanks for your imput Jason..... WHAT I'm getting second thoughts of now is this......Do I want to buy 4wd or front wheel drive.? I know the difference is about $1500 more for 4 wd. I live in New England and know that we can get many snow storms or like this year nothing to sneeze at. I know I WONT be doing ANY off road travelling either. BUT getting through snow can be another story after owning 4x4's for many years.
    Before I make the last step I'd like to feel confident that what "type" of "drive" is best suited for this part of the country. Could I hear from other SF LX 4wd and front wheeel drive owners? Need the pros and cons.want to purchase in a week or two.!
    Thanks!
    This is really a give and take situation. The FWD Santa Fe has somewhat better pickup and gas mileage than the AWD model, and is $1500 less, as you said. I live in Utah (we get snow here, too), on a fairly steep hill, and I've never had a problem getting where I need to. On the other hand, I'm pretty comfortable driving FWD cars in the snow. If the Santa Fe were RWD, I would absolutely go for the AWD/4WD option.
    I can also see going for it if I were a big skiier (I'm not) or if I were extremely uncomfortable driving in snow, strictly as a comfort blanket. Also, the AWD will add value at trade in time. But I didn't see a compelling reason for me to spend the extra money. My dad drives a Yukon, and he started giving me a hard time about buying an SUV that isn't 4WD. "Dad, how many times have you engaged the 4WD on your Yukon?" "Twice...I think..." He never bothered me about it after that.

-Jason
  • greg55126greg55126 Member Posts: 12
    Just bought mine in Feb. We live in Minnesota so we do get some snow and We opted for the FWD because after owning a all wheel Drive and never using it I felt it would be a waste. Did not have a problem in the snow we saw in March and I am sure for us it was the right choice. We do not go off road; With the clearance of the SF; fwd ... I don't see it as an issue.
    Good luck
    If you live in New England...I'd definitely get the 4WD.... its worth the extra $1500.... you will find eventually! We took ours thru only about 3" of snow shortly after we bought it... but the roads were snow-covered and slippery and the 4WD and ABS performed very well (it was my ONLY opportunity this winter to put them to the test!)..
    Any ideas on this before it gets overwhelmed by other posts? I posted on this a few days back... here's the text of the original post....THanks in advance for any input....

Gang... Some one or thing has put a small gouge in the body cladding of our Santa Fe...(the car wash maybe?!). The question I have is.. can this be repaired? The cladding appears to be a typical lower body cladding with a clear coating of some sort. It does not look repairable to me.. but someone might have had an experience with this.... also, any idea as to the cost of replacement?
    The SF owners for your replies as to which option to purchase AWD vs. FWD. And the why for various reasons...
    All informative and helpful in making my selection.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    While a FWD vehicle can do quite a bit, why get a SUV if its...for loss of better words...Castrated? Sort of like the guy who stuffs a potato down his pants, there's a visual illusion of equipment that is just not there!

If you are concerned about fuel milage and think a FWD is enough (and granted it can do a lot in a automatic trans heavy vehicle), get a mini van, full-sized (bonneville?) or something like that and enjoy the handling, comfort and space as well as fuel milage.

Just my thoughts.

Of course I don't need 4x4 either, I have one from when I lived up where I coudl drive to snowboard, now I have ot look for a dirt road to engage it just to keep it lubed. I'm selling my 4x4 pickup - what a gas hog.
  • actionballactionball Member Posts: 6
    I will agree that most people don't need 4wd. We live in Portland OR where it snows maybe twice a year and 2 or 3 inches if that. But we still got the GLS 4wd AND I popped on a set of Blizzaks, which makes more sense than the studded tires EVERY idiot here puts on their car from Sept to May. We did that because we intend to go to Wyoming during christmases.

Well it did snow, and we made a point of going out and up to a faux rich neighborhood called Forest Heights that is all ridiculous 10-15 degree streets. We had fresh snow roads untouched by anything other than sleds and boots. The bottoms of the hills were parking lots of lexus and bmw's and quite a few explorers for that matter. The combination of 4wd with the best studdless snow tires was priceless, driving past hill climbers wearing fine suits in our Hyundai. We would stop on the steepest parts and then continue up with zero slippage, we used the manual mode to walk it down in first gear.

4wd isn't about off road in the Hyundai, nothing about the Santa Fe is about off road. 4wd SF is about slick condition traction, even then 4wd is pointless without good tires. FWD is fine, I lived in Wyoming and Colorado my whole life and drove nothing but FWD and RWD constantly on snow, no chains or studs just common sense. (wish it WAS common) BUT 4wd with Blizzaks turns icy/snowy white knucklers into just another sunday drive.
    YOUR information with pros and cons for AWD vs. FWD is much appreciated.. read here from Massachusetts.
  • ciscosmom1ciscosmom1 Member Posts: 1
    I will be test driving a Santa Fe tomorrow (4/13) and would appreciate input. I live in Houston, never drive off-road and would be driving through more rain than snow! I do not have kids or caro to haul around. I am presently driving a Kia Sportage and though I like it, it doesn't have enough pick up for me. Which model is best for me and what price should I expect. Thanks for any info.
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Remember the winter of 2000-2001? Snow and ice all winter long. Do consider the AWD. I am able to plow through a foot of snow without a slip or slide and feel totally secure.

You might find it worth the trip to AutoFair in Manchester, NH for shopping. Good prices and good service. Prices are better than most MA dealers.
    Have fun shopping!
  • blusf02blusf02 Member Posts: 9
    I am in Lake Charles which is about 150 miles away. I bought my SF in Oct. it was a 2002 GLS FWD. As we both live in about the same climate I can tell you the FWD modle is just fine. I drove both the AWD and FWD and found the FWD to have more pickup and it gets better gas mileage. Now I do suggest you get the V6 as the SF weights quite a bit and if you are looking for something with a little more pickup than your KIA you will need to get the V6. Now the SF is no rocket, because it does have a small V6. But I will tell you I am very satisfied with the performance of mine and it does get better after a few thousand miles of break in. As for as price,I would say between 19.5k and 20k. with a few options such as fog lights, floormats, roof rails, mud guards. Now this does not include TTL. Who knows you might do better than I did. Hope this helps.

Blusfo2
  • onesantafeonesantafe Member Posts: 7
    Never thought of stuffing a potato down my pants. Why have you? SUV=4WD? That is like saying most people that buy a SUV take them off road. Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I purchased the LX with FWD as I live in Virginia and have no reason for AWD. I enjoy the riding height of the vehical and the cargo space. Geeeesh .. never thought of my Santa Fe as castrated. LOL...
    My LX with FWD(added moonroof with all options) will get me wherever/whenever I need to go in Va. Nice to know I have no need for future auto condom purchase. Must be why I got a hood defector instead of a Bra ..TIC... oh well, to each his/her own :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That was a rhetorical question, right?

I think this thread has gone plenty far enough for our age diverse audience, thank you :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Thanks "team" I purchasd mine today just north of Boston. Color was what I wanted, in an LX, AWD,
    with the "usual" optional ameneties that come with it.
    MSRP $23,794 ( included delivery) I paid $22,800.
    I feel I was treated very well there.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Heh heh... laughed reading yer post.

I'm just a litle leary on FWD for doing things I'd be doing in a SUV. But that maybe because I had a torque monster turbocharged FWD car with 205/50 tires, and I can tell you that combination in a 2500lb car is worthless in the snow. I had trouble one time in just 2" of sticky compacting snow. I'd try to feather the gas and the tires would spin easily and front end would want to head toward the ditch/curb. It was like a constant battle to keep the thing from getting wild. But a buddy had a caravan that plowed through the snow like nobody's business - a lot more weight, narrower tires and an automatic and less peaky powerplant.

Like one of the other posters recently, I live in Houston now, and while there are places with some really slick gumbo mud if you look for it, the weather is good most of the time and you really wouldn't need AWD. The SF with FWD might be ok in our floods, not sure how good the ground clearance is, but that's what we get a lot, say 15" of standing water to drive through. My Ram 1500 4x4 does great as its about 18-20" off the ground stock, but you still have to follow people in regular cars, so you don't get there any quicker or anything.

Anyway, FWD is good, but not in all cases.

I rented a RAV4 in canada a few weeks ago and it had AWD and that was really nice - no shifting just drive it and forget about it. I guess the SF AWD would be similar.

I'll quit ramblilng...

DD
  • jbmike15jbmike15 Member Posts: 5
    Just test drove a 2002 SF LX FWD and I must say I was impressed. I kept asking myself 'is this a hyundai?' Acceleration uphill was very good and the gas mileage projections are surprising. The salesman and dealer did mention the vapor lock item that I saw on a couple posts out here so, I was very familiar with it. Two things I would like to see added: Power seats (especially Driver) and automatic lights. Also, I was impressed with the trunk space after folding down the seats - almost as much room as my old Blazer had! Anyways - the question that I have is price: the dealership is offering the the vehicle for $21431. I was wondering what some of you thought about this price (before Tax and Tags, of course)
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    jbmike15:
    What do you mean by 'automatic lights'?
  • jbmike15jbmike15 Member Posts: 5
    GM vehicles has a automatic headlight feature that turns on the lights based on the outdoor lighting. The Santa Fe's do not have this feature.
    GM has the DRL's (or DTR's, whatever)... which adjust to ambient lighting. Its nice, but I noticed the you can turn leave the lights on in the SF, and they will go off then the ignition key is removed (probably pretty much true of most cars these days). That's useful if someone ever wanted to have running lights but was afraid they'd leave the lights on...
  • venture_1venture_1 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a pewter GLS with AWD, ABS/TC, Mud Guards, Floor Mats, and Cross Rails yesterday for my wife. She is getting rid of her Chevy Venture (which was a great van) - she is finished with vans, but still wanted the high ride that a van has. She looked for three months at all the SUV's out there, and finally decided on the Santa Fe. It nosed out the Mazda Tribute by a hair.

I drove it a few times and it really seems like a solid vehicle. We are in central Pennsylvania so she will appreciate the AWD.

It stickered at $22,524. I'll see on Monday what the dealer is going to charge me for it. I'll let ya know.
  • dryfusdryfus Member Posts: 20
    A 30-man R&D center is better than a 1000-man Toyota R&D center:

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2002/04/22/200204220022.asp

.... and best wishes. We're enjoying our GLS.... so what color? - be warned if you say
    "merlot" you may see it "magically" changed to "Pine Green" ;-) We too decided on the SF after a long decision process between it and the Tribute...
  • SamsdadSamsdad Member Posts: 17
    JBmike. We bought our 2002 LX about 2 months ago. This was in central Texas. We paid 21350 plus TT&L. This included the roof rack rails, and the rubber mat for the back of the vehicle. This was about 300 over invoice, and much less than Edmunds TLV. They are dealing more on these now. After 4K miles, we have had zero problems. My wife is the main driver, and she loves it. Have been very impressed with the build quality, and especially the options for the price. I think you will like this little SUV if you get one.
  • bryansevericbryanseveric Member Posts: 6
    I just bought the truck and love it. I did a lot of research on the vehicle before buying. I live in So. Cal. I decided to go with the AWD because I live in the mountains and I figured why deal with the trouble of FWD 2WD. The Santa Fe has the smoothest ride out there on the market.(not to mention I got a great deal on it). Sticker was $21,929 paid $19,000. My wife didn't know I was buying it, but she will not drive anything else. needless to say I have lost my new SF. Looks like I have to buy another. I noticed there was a message on automatic lights #3279. The lights may not be automatic although if you leave the lights on at all times the lights will shut off when you take the key out of ignition.
    Well I just wanted to thank everyone, because I read a lot about the SF here.
    Thank You EVERYONE
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey, congrats on the new wheels, Bryanseveric. Keep us posted!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    congrats and best wishes. I have a 4WD, V6 GLS... curious... what color do you have? You can respond with anything but Merlot...(can you tell that's the color I wanted?).
  • canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    I have been noticing alot of SF SUVs on the roads in Philadelphia and vincinty. The vehicle is becoming more and more popular- especially the white colored SF.
    Slowly increasing yes... especially white..which I thought was too much with the bold styling. Seen a number of black ones too. No other green ones than mine and only one Merlot. I used to go several days without seeing one, now I see at least one a day over the past week. I see nearly the same number of SFs as I do Tributes now. In terms of volume though, the Escape is still king of the hill, but the SF is catching up.
  • collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know if the 2003 SF will have side airbags and/or a sunroof as options? When will the 2003 be at the dealers?
    As Far as I know the SF are NOT going to have a moonroof or side air bags. I have gotten this info from my dealer.
    Thanx. I have a Noble White GLS 4WD. I love it. My wife and I are going to bee doing some work to it ASAP. Already added the wood trim dash to it. NOT thru the dealer. Did the work myself because it was easy and cheaper. Thinking about adding running boards and front bush guard, both chrome.
  • azntrojanazntrojan Member Posts: 5
    congrats on your new ride... i test drove an LX a couple weeks ago at the Pasadena hyundai dealer.. and i was wondeirng how you got the price down from 21+ to 19 for the GLS?? did the dealer give you any discount??
    Hello. If you want email me at bbytaz@yahoo.com I will let you know how I got the price down so low. I will be happy to talk...
    My husband is currently shopping dealers and prices for a GLS AWD. Samsdad- what dealer (and town) did you buy from in TX. Bryan- how did you get the price so low? Thanks
    We just received a quote for a GLS AWD with tow hitch and floor mats. They said the invoice was $21683 and they would sell it for $500 over invoice. they mentioned a $500 advertising fee is included in the invoice price- they do not keep the advertising fee it is passed along to Hyundai. Has anyone heard of this or are we being taken? They also said there is no dealer holdback for Hyundai. Sound right?
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    Don't pay the advertising fee on the invoice. The dealer will get reimbursed for the amount plus some ad expense subsidy money.
    The ad fee may or may not be legit - ask to see the invoice. Regardless, I think you can do better than 22183. Does the rig have ABS/TCS? Are there any other options? A good way to go is to check kbb.com and build the vehicle to the same specs. Let us know what you find out!

By the way, Draw-Tite makes a very nice custom fit hitch for the Santa Fe. From what I've heard, the Hyundai hitch isn't the greatest. Check out eTrailer.com or go to your local U-Haul joint.

-Jason
    Kbb.com shows a new option when you build a 2002 Santa Fe - a power sunroof, available Summer 2002. Anyone know anything about this?

-Jason
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    There is an ad fee on Hyundais, the fee may be legit.
    If anyone is looking for a Hyundai in the Houston area STAY AWAY FROM RANDALL REED HYUNDAI on Rte. 59 (soon to be moving to Rt.45- they have probably exhausted all their customers in the Rte. 59 area!). We stopped by their dealership last night after talking to them on the phone. They gave us a quote for the SF as well as an amount for our trade in. We told them we also had an appointment with another dealer after them and would decide after seeing both offers. We asked if their numbers would be good the next day (which is today). The main guy (manager?) said yes and told us he and our salesperson would be there. We visited the second dealer (who was great) but his numbers were not quite as good. We informed the second dealer of the other offer and he laughed. He IMMEDIATELY knew which dealer it was and told us to go ahead and "try" and purchase the vehicle from them. My husband has been at the first dealers(Randall Reed) for most of this afternoon and all they are doing is giving him the runaround. They are coming up with every possible excuse not to close the deal. My husband is their with a check in hand but it is one excuse after another for them. STAY AWAY FROM RANDALL REED! Is there some association or some place to complain to when a dealership will not honor their deals?
    I just heard from my husband, heading back home from Randall Reed Hyundai in Houston. He said after sitting in the dealership for 4 hours because they would not honor the numbers they gave us, he started getting loud. At that point they told him point blank they were not going to sell him the car for the quote they gave us. Doesn't Hyundai care about it's reputation? Is there anyone at Hyundai Corp. who would care enough to listen-if so please tell me who I can contact. These guys make used car salesmen look good.