Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• billtungbilltung Member Posts: 255
    Thanks for still remember me, I remember you too!
    You are quite active in most forum topics.
    I don't have much time to post because the shop is quite busy.
    I believe sportage is a good SUV too, I have ask several Sportage's owners about their SUV, all positive replies.

Regards,
    Billtung
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hello Everyone,

I am strongly considering the purchase of a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD w/Sunroof within the next few weeks.

Currently I have a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT & a 2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT1 sedan. Since I do a lot of driving for work, I chose the Grand Am to handle the bulk of the miles. Unfortunately after having lower back surgery in January, I find the Grand AM's ride quite harsh now and the entry/exit is no laughing matter anymore! Ha, ha..

I am planning on trading the Grand AM in for something reallll soon. Unfortunately I know that I will take a hit on it, but thank goodness for GM discount and incentives used at the time. Thus far, she only has 5K on it and is in excellent condition, fully loaded with leather and sunroof. Ironically enough, I have residences in two states (MI & OH) and if I decide to purchase a Santa Fe, I will more than likely purchase from a local dealership in Columbus since inventory is very high there.

What information I am currently seeking from Santa Fe owners out there are as follows:
    * What (if any--lots of good remarks in this thread) are the major problem areas of this vehicle? Things that I should be aware of?
    * What has been the average gas mileage ratings for the 4 x 4 models (city vs. expressway).
    * Insurance rates?? Currently my GT cost more to ensure than my Envoy? Sounds very odd eh? $38,320 vs $23,500
    * Durability of paint colors (ie. chipping, etc.)? I am considering black first and pewter as a second color choice.
    * Expected vehicle changes for 2003 models?
    * Financing interest rates through Hyundai for 5 yrs?

Ideally, per edmunds and Hyundai.com website, a loaded LX AWD w/sunroof has an MSRP of $24,389. I am planning to hit the dealer for invoice ($22,756) and be prepared to take at least a $2,000 hit on my Grand AM (in which I will personally put down $1500 to off-set this).

Thanks in advance everyone! Any insight that you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • santafegalsantafegal Member Posts: 6
    My Santa Fe is in today for its 30,000 mile service... about 500 miles late is all... 16 months old... has survived a minor rear ending, a new windshield (rock cracked it, took almost a month to get the molding), a freeway stall (the crankcase sensor .. apparently I helped precipitate the recall)... and a hyper springer spaniel...all in all, quite satisfied... BACK SEAT ALERT... make sure your seat bottom release straps don't slip out of the U-strap... impossible to trigger release... dealer going to do that today, too... and I see from earlier postings that the new model has a new style release button... good improvement.... green lights!
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    iexplore2000:
    You don't say how tall you are... My wife and I find the Santa Fe easy to enter and exit. But I need the seat ALL the way back (I'm 6'1"). If any more leg room was needed, I would have to do a mod on the seat mounts. Make sure you drive one for more than a mile. =;-)

I'm averaging 19.5 MPG - approx 60% Hwy/40% City driving.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Hyundai Motor America has demonstrated the largest five-year initial quality improvement at 42 percent."

J.D. Power 2002 Initial Quality Study

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • hannadeehannadee Member Posts: 2
    I am very much interested in purchasing a Sante Fe but is anyone else concerned about the stability of the Korean government? Given the present day status of world affairs, problems in that part of the world would make the great warranty that comes with this car null and void. Just a concern. Thanks.
  • ebemebem Member Posts: 2
    After much researching and driving several SUVs, we decided that the Santa Fe GLS 2WD with the ABS option was the car for us. We are in the Seattle area and have now learned that there are none available. We've even talked to Hyundai America in CA who did a search of the NW for us and they came up empty handed - found only 3 supposedly in the area, but the dealers did not have them. They also told us that we can not order the vehicle that we want and the dealer can not request one. So, we are looking at spending more for a higher priced model- either the GLS 4WD or the LX 2WD. This doesn't seem like a good business practice and we wonder why they are listing the GLS 2WD w/ABS as a car that's available when it really isn't. Has anyone else run into this problem?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is strictly my opinion, but I think the worst of South Korea's economic woes are behind them. They underwent 30 years of phenomenal industrial growth that was spurred on, in part, by bad loans and corruption which finally caught up with them 4 or 5 years ago. We'll have to wait and see how the reforms measure up but things look good so far.

Geopolitically, one has to worry about North Korea which is in dire economic straits and unable to feed its population. Nevertheless, I think the probability of all out war between the north and south is very small.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • greg55126greg55126 Member Posts: 12
    We bought a 2wd GLS w/ ABS and traction control in February. The dealership did not have one on the lot but trucked one in from another dealer in NDak. Took over a week but they did it and actually insisted we get what we wanted! Even though we live in MN did not see the need for the 4wd when we were not planning on going off the road and 2wd (Front) works well in all conditions.
    Good luck.
  • seosyjseosyj Member Posts: 1
    Perhaps, you may easily figure out I am not a American from my English. I am a Korean. I have been in the States for two years. Before I came here, I worried about the racism very much. I also worried about public security in the U.S.A because every body can buy a gun if he/she wants to have one. Now, I came to know that I worried too much even though I could feel "some kind of racism (Not extinct}" here and there.

I hope my post can be an answer for hannadee's concern.
    Thank you
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome to the Town Hall, Seosyj, and thank you for your valuable insights!

Your English is fine and you communicate very well. We look forward to reading more from you.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • ebemebem Member Posts: 2
    We talked aboutour frustration to an awesome dealer in Lacey, WA and they sold us a LX 4WD for $1000 more than the GLS 2WD, after taking into account a high trade in for our very old car. It was quite a deal, based on prices quoted by other dealers. It's not the exact colr I wanted, but I can definitely live with it, is my second choice. In all my looking around at various lots the past couple of months, I've noticed that the colors keep changing slightly. For example, I really liked Sandstone for the gold in it and the cars yesterday looked more brown. Well, we pick up our car today and I hope we like it as much as we think we will!
  • greg55126greg55126 Member Posts: 12
    GREAT! GOOD LUCK!
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    In a previous post, I spoke of the fact that my new Santa Fe had a couple of missing/broken items upon delivery. Just as promised, the dealer called as soon as the parts arrived, sent a person down to my place of employment (60 miles from the dealer), left me a really nice Sonata, drove my vehicle back to the shop, fixed the problems, and had my Santa Fe back in 24 hours. If any of you need a quality dealer in Michigan, check out Fox Hyundai in Grand Rapids. They have been far and away the best dealer that I have ever dealt with.
    Also, I am ecstatic with the quality and ride of my Santa Fe. It is so much smoother and quieter than I expected it to be. I had taken at least three test drives previously, so I am very happy to be surprised this way.
  • bearbonebearbone Member Posts: 2
    I have seen a couple of SF's around town with receiver hitches installed. Anyone towed anything yet? I am looking at towing approx 1700 pounds. I know the book says to have trailer brakes installed for 1200 pounds or more, most non-service people I talk to say not to worry about it. Anyone have any experiences they can share with me concerning towing?

Thanks!
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    Msn Carpoint selected the Santa Fe as the bset SUV for family's.
    They chose the best sedan, best suv best mini van, best truck etc.
    That puts the Santa Fe in a pretty good class.
  • santafegrlsantafegrl Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone recommend a dealership anywhere in the five boroughs or Long Island, that they had a good experience/deal with? Want to hear from anyone who has a 2WD GLS specifically, what you paid for it in this area. Im noticing quite a few dealers have loads of SF's, one place has 58, so they should be dealing but who knows. Im curious to see if anyone mentions this dealer.
  • tsvisagetsvisage Member Posts: 5
    I posted this messgae on the problem board but it looks like everything is discussed here.

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a hard shift into 3rd gear on the 2001 Santa Fe's. I find it happening more when the car is still cold but not so much as I drive it. Since my commute is only about 12 miles one way, the car really doesn't have a chance to warm up as much and I find the shifting a little annoying. The dealership is great and they keep resetting the computer (which works for about 4 hours) and then the problem comes back again.

Any thoughts?

~tim
  • bhdbhd Member Posts: 2
    I posted below on the problem board as well, but decided to post it here hoping for some ideas and input.
    I've owned my 2002 Santa Fe (4 cyl, FWD) for about three weeks; have only 800 miles on it, but that's mostly because right now it's in the shop for the third time - a total of 12 days so far out of 27 days. The dealer didn't do a pre delivery check; all 5 tires were at 47 psi rather than 30; fluid levels were not checked (some were almost empty); you need a death grip on the wheel else it'll head straight for the ditch; the alarm system will activate itself at will (whether I'm sitting in the car or not); there is a vibration/rattle at the bottom of the windshield and the door panels, and the lumbar support will disengage itself at will causing a jolt to my back. I'm now taking it to a different service department and they're trying hard - the first service dept. claimed to have set all the tires at 30 psi (4 tires were at 35, the spare was still 47) and fixed the alignment, which they didn't. Anyway, I think the most perplexing is the alignment problem. It's been done twice now and the computer readout states it might be a suspension problem. How could that be on a new car? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Sure would like to be able to enjoy my new car!

Today's update: found the alarm problem (computer defective); fixed the lumbar support (defective); thinks they've found all the rattles and are fixing them; exchanged front tires, but car still drifts to the right so they're doing a third alignment. I'm hoping it's not a bent frame or suspension problem - has anyone else experienced this problem?

Appreciate any input.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I also purchased from Fox Hyundai in GR (an Elantra) and am pleased with the service department. During one routine stop, they replaced my windshield washer nozzle without my mentioning it (I had noticed it earlier in the day squirting in slightly the wrong direction). One reason for signing on the car was a great salesman who, alas, has left the dealership. Good thing I don't intend to purchase again for several years.
    tsvisage:

There are several TSB's for the 2001 Santa Fe auto trans, that have to do with the ECM needing reprogramming . Since you state after the service people reset the computer, the problem went away for a while, you might ask about perhaps needing the reprogramming.

Below is one TSB info summary:

=========================================
    Make: HYUNDAI
    Model: SANTA FE
    Year: 2001

Service Bulletin Number: 070201
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 623
    Date of Bulletin: 07/ 01

NHTSA Item Number: SB623008

Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)

Summary:

INFORMATION ON ECM/TCM REPROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS FOR P0128 AND MINOR ENGINE STUMBLE CONDITIONS. *YH
  • tsvisagetsvisage Member Posts: 5
    harry31:

Where can I find these bulletins?

~tim
    Summaries here:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide or alldata.com or the NHTSA website (www.nhtsa.dot.gov).

Full blown text? Maybe your dealer will share....

Steve
    Host
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    I too have noticed this, but only, it appears, when the trans is relatively cold and even then, only under relaxing acceleration (as I am approaching my desired speed - always the speed limit of course (!) - or releasing pressure on the accelerator due to driving downhill). I plan to mention it to my dealer at the next visit, which will probably be end of June, but I have not observed the symptom in several weeks.
    Also, you may purchase a model year's worth of TSBs from Alldata at:

==================================================================
    http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

" Currently, information is available for Model Years 1982 to 2000. 2001 Model Year information is scheduled to be released in June/July of 2002. Unfortunately, information for Honda, Acura and BMW is not available to consumers through the ALLDATA DIY by request of the each manufacturer."

==================================================================
    Usual disclaimers apply...
  • shaslershasler Member Posts: 2
    Reoname:

I'm shocked to see that some regions are seeing prices above MSRP. In Baltimore I just bought a GLS 4WD and paid $100 under invoice. I also got the mud flaps, cross rails, cargo tray, and floor mats for no extra charge (about $400 worth of extra's, no charge). So that put it $700 under Edmunds' TMV. I don't know if I caught the dealer on a forgiving day. Granted, it isn't your LX either, which may be in shorter supply. Baltimore is port of entry so maybe that helped. And the dealer had the vehicle I wanted already on the lot. Remember, the dealer still pockets the $600 holdback allowance from Hyundai so it isn't like they lose money selling under invoice.
    Steve
  • dwynndwynn Member Posts: 1
    love my santa fe however paint on bumper is peeling off. always hand wash santa fe. have appointment at dealer to get it looked at. i was told all paint warranty must go through hyundai directly and they have final say. anyone else have this experience? is this a warranty?
  • wrightstwrightst Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know if you can put tire chains on the Santa Fe. I've read recently that some SUVs are not designed to work with chains. Thanks.
  • wrightstwrightst Member Posts: 2
    On the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's web site they have just finished evaluating the Santa Fe. HTTP://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/ce/html/0104.htm

It came out on top. They did mention that the Santa Fe is being equipped with side air bags in late 2002 models. Anyone have a SF with side air bags or heard anything about this?
  • s618s618 Member Posts: 15
    Hey shasler could you tell me what dealer you worked with in MD . I am attempting to trade in my 99 GLS elantra and I have had really bad luck with dealers - from just plain rudeness to them saying there was no way they would budge off sticker price? Any help is appreciated
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    does anyone remember seeing a post on installing a ac filter in the santa fe. the filter goes in the ac unit behind the glove box.
    babe915:

Try this link - remember that it's in Oz and all is backwards! =;-)

<http://www.brighthikers.com.au/santa%20fe/santa_fe_002.htm>
  • hannadeehannadee Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know about new colors for 2003 and when they might be at the dealerships?

Thank you.
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    Some time back (actually, many moons ago) some kind fellow Town Hall person posted in detail the correct procedure for installing lighted tail lights on the SF in place of the factory installed red reflectors. I foolishly did not copy this at the time. Now, I want to install those lights. Anyone have the message # I can go to directly instead if surfing through 3000 messages to find it (or go by it). Would greatly appreciate the message #. Thanks
    It was here, but the link in the message is defunct:

kcorcoran Jul 29, 2001 11:58am

Maybe this will help:

krcooper Mar 21, 2001 2:01pm

Steve
    Host
    I think the bumpers are made of the same material as the lower body cladding. That is they are covered by a plasticized material. I am having a problem with my lower front right side body cladding. Unfortunately, due to our drought, I can't wash the car, but must take it to a car wash and there is a bit of peeling of this plastic coating. I plan to ask my dealer about it when I take it in next time for inspection at the end of the month. I thought I had read on here about some of this plastic material peeling in some instances. Does anyone else know about this and if Hyundai is doing anything about it?
    Gang: I have read some posts in here regarding lengthening of the seat rails for the driver's seat to help increase leg room. I love our SF, but that is clearly the greatest deficiency in the vehicle (I hope Hyundai does something about it in future releases). I know that some here have mentioned getting this done. Does any one have any info on this? Were they able to do it? If so, how satisfactory was the result? What was the price? Thanks.
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    thanks Harry 31 that was what i was looking for!
    shivelyt:

Here is a link to kcorcoran's info (no pix - sorry) on lighting up the fog lights, in the Santa Fe rear bumper.

http://pub108.ezboard.com/fhyundaisantafemessageboardfrm52.showMessage?topicID=48.topic
  • mudpuddlemudpuddle Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone have a Santa Fe with the sunroof option ? I noticed the Hyundai website shows the sunroof as an option now. No cost given or any mention as to how much headroom you lose.
  • shaslershasler Member Posts: 2
    Hey s618

The Baltimore dealer I worked with is Antwerpen Hyundai on Route 40 West. http://www.antwerpenauto.com The manager I mostly dealt with is named Rich DiPetro and he was very upfront and even quoted via email back and forth.

Hope that helps
    Steve
  • aikidojoeaikidojoe Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up our new Santa Fe LX 4WD from a dealer in Downers Grove, IL. Paid less than the Edumunds TMV by about 700 bucks. I didn't have to use any tough guy tactics. Everything was pleasant all the way through the purchase.

This will be my wifes primary everyday driver. I'll be going back for a XG350 sometime soon.

I didn't opt for the paint protection, or any of the other extended warranty packages. Now I think I'll look for a detailer that offers the Teflon protectorant...since it seems that perhaps the only shortcoming of Hyundai is the paint according to all the forums I've visited.

We have dumped Lexus forever!!!
  • vanmaestrovanmaestro Member Posts: 8
    I finally came to a agreement on price with my dealer for a AWD LX. It seems they are very in demand and they are also rare. I was only able to negotiate $500 of the MSRP. The car is not even here yet, its still on the boat in transit. My dealer has two LX's coming and they are both sold before they even get to the lot. I am still very happy with the price though...you do get a lot for the money when you compare it to other SUV's!
  • matt479matt479 Member Posts: 26
    Does anyone know if cross bars are available for the Santa Fe? The Hyundia site does not mention them as an option. Anyone know of if there's a genuie Hyundia accessories part web site to buy them? Dealers usually overcharge for these add ons. Example: on the Honda CRV dealer charges $350+ for the cross bars. Can get them for $180 on www.hondaaccessories.com
    I'm surprised yours didn't come with them. I have not seen one without them yet in our area. I have no idea about the cost, but I assume they would be available. I think Hyundai should upgrade their website to include an accessories list with pricing. I know there are also some 3rd party Hyundai parts sites also. Check a search engine like Yahoo.
    Hyundai-Parts-Online Catalogue lists the crossrails as:

===================================
    ROOF RACK CROSSRAILS
    Part No 00244-71000-A
    Color
    [no color listed]
    Price 175.00
    Model Name...Model Year...Trim Level...Body Type
    ..SANTA FE........2001............ALL............ALL
    ..SANTA FE........2002............ALL............ALL

===================================

BTW, my '02 Santa Fe came with the crossrails.
  • adamjraeadamjrae Member Posts: 65
    www.geocities.com/adamjrae

The above URL is the first owners gallery dedicated to Santa Fe on the Internet(that I know of). It's been around since October of 2000. Please come visit my web site and see what I have to say now that my Santa Fe has 30,000 miles and is over 1.5 years old.

Comments and question are always welcome.

Adam (adamjrae)
    ilovemysantafe@adnetsolutions.net
  • lfd440lfd440 Member Posts: 33
    Fello owners, at 2,000 miles my vehicle developed a sort of tapping or clicking sound when it's cold
    then after warm up it goes away. Service dept. says they thought it was the injectors, And to not be concerned, I now have 3,000 miles and had the oil changed, no difference in the noise.Maybe just have to live with it while it's cold.? Anyone else out there experiencing this?
    The manual says to use a mild detergent and water to clean the leather seats, by using a product specifically made for leather (such as Meguire's Gold Class Leather cleaner and conditioner) apparantly is NOT recommended for these leather seats. Anyone try this product or one similar? I don't like the thought of using water and a detergent, a leather conditioner would seem to be better, but don't want to look for problems.
    Third, the quality of sound from the radio and speakers leaves alot to be desired. Playing the CD, tapes or a good radio staion just does not bring out the best highs and lows of what a good system should sound like. Has anyone out there made changes to their radio / speakers or both ? Any replies to any of these questions is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.... In general, I have a teriffic SUV and we love it.
    I've heard a number of complaints about the radio sound, and I agree it ain't the best and I was REALLY turned off... until I used the EQ button. I didn't know what it was (can you tell I don't read the entire owner's manual?) until I hit it and its essentially a 3-band equalizer. I usually like the "Rock" setting since it gives you the most bass. But bass is lacking in the SF stereo, I'll admit. The tweeter is a feature I've never had before and it does bring out some higher-pitched sounds on tracks that I have never noticed before. All-in-all, its a decent basic stereo in my opinion. Nothing great, but acceptable for me. If you want concert hall sound, I guess you'd have to buy something else! But if you are really displeased with the sound, try the EQ button first. And if you're still really displeased, then I guess visit the local auto sound shop.