Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    ...I'll note that it had a very nice interior, felt solid, and drove quite well for what it was. I would say that potential non-enthusiast buyers in that segment should give it a hard look.

Yes, after a week's rental experience this past summer in a Malibu, that was my take-away as well. With the current pricing/buyer's advantage on this particular model, I think it's a pretty good deal if the styling/design/functionality is what one finds desirable.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    I think you drove the '12 model busiris, and roadburner's talking about the totally new '13.

Overall, for size and styling, I still like the '12 better.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I'm sure that salesperson was delighted not to have to go on a useless test drive and that he was happy to just give you the coupon for those sunglasses!

Honda did a similar "promotion" years ago. They gave away a pair of walkie talkies for people who brought that mailer in.

Never have I seen so many "non serious" shoppers...being nice here!

When people walked in with that yellow card in their hands, the salespeople would head for the door or make a make believe phone call.

I don't recall one sale being made over that promo.

A lot of times we would bget lucky when the customers told us they had no intension of buying a new car and could we just sign off his mailer.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    And yeah, DUI carries harsher real penalties there than here, as it does in virtually every other developed nation. We'd rather use our justice system to fight potheads.

Although DUI's carry hefty fines and hence, hefty profits, I have a feeling our officer's would rather just simply issue a speeding ticket as that's easier and lazier to enforce.

Even when a DUI accident causes a death in the area (as it did this last weekend), they concentrate on the fact the driver was "speeding!" OH MY GOD THEY were going 70 in a 65 (What an egregious speeder) and less focus was placed on the fact they were drunk driving, driving on the wrong side of the road (and hence, wrong lane), and then rammed a vehicle head-on, killing the occupant in the innocent vehicle.

To the common sense person, you would think the drunken driving, the being in the wrong lane, wrong side of the road, and failure to yield the right of way would be the cause of that accident, but no, the media and the CHP seem fixated on the fact they were speeding! I'm sure speed was the factor. LOL! What a joke! :cry:
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Try Smashburger in San Diego if you like burgers.

Also, the Miho Gourmet Food Truck. Two best burgers I've had in the county of San Diego.

I imagine they use "American" grown ingredients.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    DUI requires actual charges and an actual trial. That's a lot of work (for the officer and the court) compared to printing a mail-in summons, and then sending a check.
    I think you drove the '12 model busiris, and roadburner's talking about the totally new '13.

Overall, for size and styling, I still like the '12 better.

You're probably right, but I would still think the '13 would be a good buy for anyone looking for reliable, affordable transportation.
    DUI requires actual charges and an actual trial. That's a lot of work (for the officer and the court) compared to printing a mail-in summons, and then sending a check.

Yes, true, but a DUI arrest actually serves and protects, while a speeding ticket generally aggravates, angers, and increases both road range and disrespect of the courts and law enforcement from both real and perceived lack of fairness in traffic court.

I say the same thing about red light cameras being useless. A red light runner is free to run another red light 5 minutes later and kill someone, while if they are pulled over by a real cop, they won't be running any red lights for at least 15 minutes, minimum, and likely longer.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I haven't run into a Smashburger, but heard they are good. Is that the new chain that some former McDonald's exec's started up?
    Back east, "Five Guys" burgers and fresh-cut fries are wonderful, but sheesh are they expensive (and as I've said, I'm a cheapskate). Their small fries are really fries for two, but a single burger and small fry and Diet Coke run about $9 and a half here. But it is really good.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    We have a few Five Guys here in CA, too. Theyre good, but my favorite is a small chain called The Habit Burger Grill. They started in Santa Barbara and now stretch from SF to San Diego in CA, and a few in AZ and UT. Very fresh ingredients, great salads too. I think they're better than In N Out, which I find good but a bit too greasy.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    No need to get testy because someone has a different opinion than you...and that's all it is, an opinion, not stated as fact.

Hmmm, now who is testy? I have bought new vehicles from all 3 domestics and several of the foreign makers. So my opinions are based on experience. If you have only driven GM and never even test driven the competing vehicles how do you know you are getting the most bang for your dollars?
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    edited December 2012
    Back east, "Five Guys" burgers and fresh-cut fries are wonderful, but sheesh are they expensive (and as I've said, I'm a cheapskate). Their small fries are really fries for two, but a single burger and small fry and Diet Coke run about $9 and a half here. But it is really good.

A "Five Guys" just opened here recently. I've yet to try it as they're always packed.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Around here, the running joke is that someone will say "I'm gonna do 5 Guys for lunch", and someone will respond "Man, are you gonna be sore when you get back!" :P

I've eaten there a few times. Food is good, and fresh, but kinda greasy. It is a bit pricey, but man, those Five Guys will fill you up!
    Yes, true, but a DUI arrest actually serves and protects, while a speeding ticket generally aggravates, angers, and increases both road range and disrespect of the courts and law enforcement from both real and perceived lack of fairness in traffic court.

Yes but it also generates revenue for localities. Which is what it's actually designed to do.
    There are a couple of 5 Guys Burgers here as well. A small fry order there is an excessively oversized one anywhere else. If you price the fry order by individual piece, its probably cheaper than McDonalds. It's a LOT of fries...

Good tasting food, but you can almost feel your cholesterol rising 50 points as you enter the place.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    They're popular here and I see why.

I also like Elevation Burger.

Having said that, there are too many franchises that are similar and some will fail. BGR is overpriced so I doubt they last.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    >Back east , "Five Guys" burgers and fresh-cut fries are wonderful, but sheesh are they expensive (and as I've said, I'm a cheapskate). Their small fries

There's one by campus in Columbus OH, but my son says BurgerWorks, a burger intensive store by Red Robin, is better. I've not been to either.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    As I cruze the net on a mission to educate and have Americans THINK. I notice that until you have either been unemployed, or under employed most people really don't understand what it means to buy American. The ramifications, the longterm effects of not buying American products and services. Buying American products and services does effect you. Many ask me how do I buy something I want that is not made in America. Simple, buy slightly used. Another thing is you can still find many products made in America. The chain stores buy cheap goods made from overseas to maintain healthy profits. If you don't mind waiting a few days, you can find plenty of sites online for made in America goods and services.
    I work for an ecommerce company. I don't care where you buy it from, so long as you buy it over the Internet. Otherwise, I'm out of a job. :shades:
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    is it Amazon.com? They sure have some hard ta beat deals over the internet.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

If the economy here continues to erode you'll be out of a job anyway. As Asia grows and we decline, it's cheaper to service the Internet out of that region of the world. So you're job may then move to Chindia. In fact, it's already happening to techies in this country and some major US firms are transferring more of their US operations over there.
    but Amazon.com is Seattle-based and not likely that Jeff ______ will outsource their entire Amazon.com operation out of the U.S.

Amazon, you're probably right. But I think he is more involved in automotive support and/or wholesaling? Ever have to talk to United Airlines customer or frequent flyer support. Odds are your call is going to somewhere like India or the Philippines. Same goes for quite a few large US companies.
    edited December 2012
    Buying American products and services does effect you. Many ask me how do I buy something I want that is not made in America. Simple, buy slightly used.

Not being critical, but that's an over-simplification of the issue. We live in an electronic age, and there are numerous products not made anywhere in the USA anymore. Many required a high-polluting manufacturing process, which drove manufacturing off shore. In addition, you can find domestic clothing made here, but at nowhere the price clothing sels for at Walmart. Many simply can't afford to buy more expensive clothing AND put food on the table.

Another thing is you can still find many products made in America. The chain stores buy cheap goods made from overseas to maintain healthy profits.

Quite true, but many people don't need a professional grade of a product, and the cheap product will do. I use the example of owning an inexpensive air ratchet I paid $35-40 for, knowing its not industrial quality (since I only use it 2-3 times a year to rotate tires, anything more is senseless for me to own and would cost far more if it was made here).

If you don't mind waiting a few days, you can find plenty of sites online for made in America goods and services.

That's often true. However, we have been conditioned by the very domestic companies that have had a monopoly on the American market to accept planned obsolescence in the items we buy, and one often has a different outlook on buying a product that he only expects to have for a specific time before replacing it with a later and greater product. That factor along creates a huge force driving down prices.

The really good mechanics I've known over the years most certainly understand quality, and they spend the $$$ to get the high quality tools they expect to keep for life.

OTOH, I would guess a large percentage of TV buyers don't expect to have their current TV for life, unless they're in a retirement home.
    Our biggest deficit after oil is consumer electronics. We have not been competitive in that arena since Sony first started selling US TVs in the 1960s. The Apple iPhone alone accounted for over $50 BILLION of our trade deficit last year. I have serious doubts we will ever become manufacturers of consumer electronics that anyone wants. For us it feels good to buy made in USA toys. Truth is, they are usually not what kids that are allowed to watch TV really want for Christmas. Refusing to buy any food not grown in USA would help.
    edited December 2012
    If the economy here continues to erode you'll be out of a job anyway. As Asia grows and we decline, it's cheaper to service the Internet out of that region of the world. So you're job may then move to Chindia. In fact, it's already happening to techies in this country and some major US firms are transferring more of their US operations over there.

Certainly that has been the trend, but I've recently read several articles about domestic companies moving some operations back to the US after they realized the business model didn't adequately compensate for all factors, such as language differences, currency differentials, etc.

I'll see if I can find a couple of examples.

Edit: Here is one...

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/29/return-of-american-manufacturing/
    that would be interesting to see...companies that decided to outsource that for one practical, business-based reason or another, decided that they needed to do business back in the U.S.

I've seen that, but sometimes the move is to Latin America or Mexico from Asia. However, product production is moving back in some cases, but I think less so for customer service type stuff like at United, or for bulk items that never really undergo significant changes. As for automotive, probably depends on which market your stuff supports. More and more vehicles are selling overseas these days.
    I work for an auto parts eCommerce provider and automotive parts catalog company.
    Back to burgers...

Someone mentioned 'Red Robin'. I had forgotten about them. I've always had excellent burgers there, but haven't been in one in two or three years. They have one burger that's covered with garlic-butter-drenched mushrooms. Oooh yeah!

I think they're a Canadian company, but my stomach doesn't mind. I last ate at one at Hershey. We drove a golf cart from motorhome parking over there. What a scene--we were on whatever that busy street that intersects with the Hershey 'loop' is, praying that nobody would rear-end us!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I like those but my wife loves loves them!

They have great fries and the seasoning at the table goes great with the fries.
    And if it is Amazon.com, he has my heartfelt thanks. I have a few shares of them, and it's returned about 40% over roughly the past year and a half.

I had sold my GM stock to buy it, so I lucked out there, as GM took a dive soon after I sold it.

I guess Amazon.com does put the pressure on a lot of brick-and-mortar retailers. But, it helps keep the postal service in business, I guess!
    Hmmm... Does one get rear-ended in a golf cart, or simply run over???

There is a Red Robin here near a large shopping mall. I've eaten there once, and would do so again if the traffic wasn't so congested. There are too many other great places to eat around here that are far easier to get in and out of... Seems a lot of these "specialty-type" burger joints like to locate in heavily traffic-infested areas...
    E-Commerce is also environmentally better for the country. Saves gas driving to the mall to shop.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    edited January 2013
    If you feel you are safe in your job because of e-commerce you are one of those who are thinking short term. If people don't have jobs here at home, they cannot shop e-commerce anyway and you will be out of a job. Americans must start thinking longterm in the way we purchase goods and services. We must break out of being owned by China and other forgein countries. Americans must be educated on how important it is to invest in America first for your own future and our childrens future along with the future economic stability of America. We are programmed to think short term in means of instant self gratification when buying items. When you buy American goods more people at home benefit from your purchase.
    I was in a conversation in another chat room with a person who feels much the same way I do. The rich in this country must also play their part in keeping America financially stable and viable. They must understand that a little less profit in the short run will bring gains in the long run. Making it here in the U.S. may cost a bit more, profits may not be as large, but you will still make profit. Keeping America economically stable is beneficial for all Americans, rich or poor or middle class.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited January 2013
    E-Commerce is also environmentally better for the country. Saves gas driving to the mall to shop.

So the UPS trucks are powered by non polluting unicorn farts??
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    What you say makes sense but I'm afraid you are "whistling in the dark".

It's too late at this point. We are a much weaker nation and we have let this happen to us.
    Everything I've ever bought from Amazon.com has come by way of the post office. So, in this case at least, it's probably pretty eco-friendly, since the mailman goes down my street every day, 6 days a week, anyway.

Oddly though, I had to return a pair of jeans that were defective (one pocket sewn too short), and the instructions were to send them back via UPS. But, the replacement jeans came thanks to the mailman.
    So I'll counter with:

do the 40+ Amazon distribution centers and who knows how many server farms have giant hamster wheels out back???

My point was that saying shopping online is green is a bit of a stretch.

Now I'm not saying that I don't shop online. My bigger issue is with people that showroom at brick and mortar stores then shopping online.
    So the UPS trucks are powered by non polluting unicorn farts??

I'm sure one truck delivering to a neighborhood is better than every house driving to the local mall and back.
    It's too late at this point. We are a much weaker nation and we have let this happen to us.

And the restrictive union work rules and exorbitant benefits have cause a large part of that to occur.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Amen, cannon3, amen!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,096
    And an even larger part caused by execs and upper managers with no accountability and no long term visions. Time to redefine the idea of financial crimes, make them count as treason and eligible for capital punishment.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Once again you're the voice of wisdom, cannon!
    edited January 2013
    Is it really any different than say shopping for a car at a high overhead dealer and then buying the same car for less at a lower overhead location? That seems to happen a lot.

Shopping online is probably "greener" than every single person taking a trip in a car to buy every single item. I don't save a fortune most of the time when I shop via the computer, but I don't have to deal with going to the store.
    Is it really any different than say shopping for a car at a high overhead dealer and then buying the same car for less at a lower overhead location?

IMHO it is. All car dealers have a similar overhead percentage wise. Not so with brick and mortar stores vis a vis online retailers.

The way I look at it is one has the time to go showroom at a brick and mortar store and take up time from a salesperson, why not give them a shot at the sale.

In my industry, there is a lot of design and product knowledge involved so it's not like buying a $100 printer. But so many consumers think it's ok to get the showroom person to spend half a day with them designing a kitchen or bath and then go and shop each item on the internet.
    But so many consumers think it's ok to get the showroom person to spend half a day with them designing a kitchen or bath and then go and shop each item on the internet.

Yeah that, I have a problem with. When I buy something online, it's something that I don't really need to test out first. For instance, I don't need a salesman to explain to me how to work "Smokey and the Bandit" on blu-ray. And I know what size I take in Under Armour, what waist/length Levis I wear, what size Adidas I wear, etc.
    edited January 2013
    Do all car dealers really have the same overhead? In my area, taxes and operating expenses (especially value of land) vary by county. It is generally known if you travel a county or two over, you can save money. People do it.

I guess I can deal with the "give them a shot" if they are working under quotas or commissions. But if I am going to buy crap from a chain store in my backyard or a couple hours away, or from the internet, it doesn't matter so much, esp if the stuff is from China anyway. Most people don't shop around, so one sale doesn't matter.

I also will buy car parts online, rather than from the dealer - huge overhead there that I don't deal with, and maybe shouldn't have to.
    And an even larger part caused by execs and upper managers with no accountability and no long term visions. Time to redefine the idea of financial crimes, make them count as treason and eligible for capital punishment.

I see it as a partnership in crime. The unions were greedy and wanted more. The execs took the short term easy solution by granting the union wishes at the expense of the health of the long term business. The unions held a gun to the heads of GM in the 90's, for example. And of course the execs are responsible for the decisions leading to the lousy vehicles over all those years. So nobody's hands were clean.

I don't disagree about criminal exec behavior, but I'd stop at capital punishment for that.