Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    gator72:

would appreciate any insight that you current owners have on vehicle quality, durability and price negotiations.

One other question: There are two red lenses in the rear bumper. Do they actually light up? I've seen several Santa Fe's on the road, but never see the lights come on when brakes are applied or when the driving lights are on.

>=================

We have an '02 Santa Fe and like it. REALLY like it. First car in a long time, that is a pleasure to drive. Quality on our SF is good. Only has 10.5K miles so I can't answer for durability - yet! Bought it over the net - sight unseen. The local dealers were very adamant about NOT dropping the price, so I went afield (300 miles).

The rear bumper 'lights' are fog lights in Europe. They are not required in the USA, so I guess the factory saves a few bucks and leaves them out. The lamp bodies are still there and on some Santa Fe forums, you can find instructions and pictures for installing/wiring the sockets/lamps. Looks easy. =;-)

• lovescoachlovescoach Member Posts: 18
    I have had my LX 4 w.d. for a month now and it is a dream! Comfortable and just exactly what I was looking for. Has all the perks! I even went with wood on the console and sides. It is a classy looking vehicle. I drove all the suv and none could compare. I did a lot of research ! considering value and looks this was definitely the one. I walked away with it for $23,500 including destination. They also seal coated it to close the deal! The only real problem is I cant stop driving it! 3300 miles on it already!
    Forgot to tell you my SF is a 2003 ! Call dealerships asking for the internet dealer. Most dealerships have them and tell them exactly what you want! They will deal when they understand you are shopping for the best price and are serious! Good Luck to you! Keep posting with results!
  • docknowdocknow Member Posts: 8
    We purchased a 2003 GLS AWD with sunroof and 6 CD for 22150 on Oct 23. It all ready has 4300 mile on it. My wife drives 110 miles round trip to work every night. She loves the vehicle, time will tell, she averages approximately 35,000 per year. I get to drive it when it needs gas or a wash job.
  • sprightspright Member Posts: 18
    I bought a 2002 LX 2wd about a month ago, just love it. I couldn't find a 2002 or 2003 GLS with ABS so had to move up to the LX. I had read some reviews talking about the lack of power, but it seems fine to me; I'm not having any trouble merging onto freeways or passing. But getting 4wd would add a lot of weight to the car so that might make a difference. Also I was coming from a ten-year-old 4cylinder Toyota, so I wasn't used to having a lot of power anyway. The Santa Fe was by far the most roomy and smoothest-driving of the cars we test drove (the others were the Rav4 and the Escape) and we're very happy with it.
  • williadaywilliaday Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

I've been researching the Santa Fe, Sorento, Tribute, Liberty, and the VUE. So far the Santa Fe is ahead. One thing, I noticed that the others have both front and rear stabilizer bars while the Santa Fe only has the front stabilizer bar. Is this a major factor for the roll-over rates? Can I put on an after market bar for the rear? Sorry if that sounds silly but I'm not too mechanically inclined:)

Thanks in advance for any advise/info,
    Crystal
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    I thank everyone for their positive replies to my "shopping" inquiry. My research at the automotive on-line publications was also very positive.

On my next day off, I'm headed down to my local dealer to meet with their internet sales person.

I sent an inquiry specifying what I wanted and they emailed me back in about 30 minutes; stating that they've got 2 on the lot that fit my options (GLS V-6, ABS, sunroof).

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
    Thanks for the quick reply! I too have put on 3600 miles in about a month! I am a sales Rep so I spend time in my vehicle. Sounds like you too got a pretty good package and price. No one can believe all the goodies I have in my Lx and what I paid for it! So Gator you are doing it the right way. The day I purchased my SF I walked into the dealership gave him a slip of paper with my cell # and first name. Told him what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. He called me back in 2 hrs. he thought he had located one, in the meantime I am dealing with 4 other dealerships on the phone. Ashamed to say I told each to give me their best price. They kept adding extras so I would purchase from them. Treat it as a game and you will win. Take your time
  • andyz3andyz3 Member Posts: 10
    I would like to say thank you to all that posted to this board. With your insights and many hours surfing web pages along with a test drive I decided to purchase a 2003 Santa Fe. I hope to pick it up tomorrow. We decided on a white GLS 2WD with traction control and ABS. That and a set of mud flaps set me back 19900 plus tax and title of course. Not the best deal I ever made but the next closest dealer was 70 miles away.
    My wife loved it the minute she saw it. She likes the fact that you set up higher and it does not handle like a truck. The dealer was friendly with no pressure. He told us he could have one in 3 days but it took a week.
    Not bad. This will be my first experience with a Hyundai product. I hope they are better than they were 10 years ago. It was fact it did well in the crash tests and the warranty that sold me. Hope to post positive experiences later.
    Thanks again
    Andy
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard and congrats!

tidester, host
  • jamusjamus Member Posts: 1
    I have read messages about "woodgrain" and polycoat. What do these pertain to and is it something the dealer installs?
  • wlf24wlf24 Member Posts: 1
    We're looking at replacing an aging Nissan Quest mini-van with an SUV. We own a pop-up camper that weighs in at approx. 2000 lbs., and will use the SUV to tow it. Current contenders include the Santa Fe and the Mazda/Ford Trib/scape. Am concerned about the SF's smaller engine; does it have enough gusto to pull our trailer? I should say we would get the V6 2wd with ABS, and the trailer does not have brakes. Anyone have experience towing with the SF?

Thanks in advance - Bill
    In my '02 SF's Owner's Manual, Hyundai recommends a max tow weight of 1500 pounds, without trailer brakes and with ABS. As always, the problem is never 'going' - the problem is stopping.
    I tow a lighter trailer (about 1250 pounds w/load, no ABS) and have no problems either way. |=;-)
    It's always nice to hear about other happy owners! Of course it's only been a month but I just love ours. Once we figured out how to change the temperature setting from celsius to fahrenheit, we were all set! :-)

I was surprised when we were buying that the salesman and manager didn't mention that the Santa Fe has been upgraded to a "Recommended Buy" by Consumer Reports. I thought I'd have to wait till the April auto issue but it's already in the new Buyer's Guide that way.

Sorry to say I have no info about towing.
    Th woodgrain is installed on the center console and door handle. Really looks sharp! The polyglycoat coats and protects your paint job! Now I worked this into my deal and yes it can be installed by the dealership. I understand it can be purchased for less thru other sources ! Next time you are in for an oil change ask if anyone does it as a side job...might be lots cheaper....Good Luck you WILL love your SF!!
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    The salesman may not have known about the CR recommendation. If you read through any of several discussions here, you'll find many stories of less-than-informed sales staff.

After I purchased my Elantra, the man handling all the paperwork tried to tell me my car had "just" been recommended as a "Best Buy" (CR does not give cars "Best Buy" ratings, only "recommended"). It has only been in the recent Preview that Elantra's reliability has improved to average (still not recommended due to one "poor" crash rating).

I rarely expect salespeople to know as much as I do about a specific model. One day they will realize how informed the public has become these days.

P.S. Those Santa Fes sure are sharp! Enjoy.
    You're right about salesmen not always knwoing their products. I mentioned while we were test driving that the SF's rear passenger windows would not go all the way down and he said they would, and was surprised when I showed him that they didn't.

The Toyota saleswoman had all the Consumer Reports information on the Rav4 at her desk!

Thanks for the kind words about my baby! :-)
  • losthat1losthat1 Member Posts: 93
    Thought some of you new lurkers might like info from someone with two years of experience with Santa Fes. Bought the first two years ago today. Bought the second in Jan. 2001. Both AWD LX with ABS, leather, etc.

In Oct. 2001 my son had a serious off-side (just like the insurance tests) collision and totaled the first. He was not injured and that was a miracle as the car was totaled and it looked as if he should have been dead! At the time the Santa Fe had 20,000+ miles on it without a problem. We replaced it with another Santa Fe, this time a GL.

Presently our Santa Fes both have close to 40k on them. Neither has ever given us a problem. They are incredibly reliable, comfortable, and drive beautifully in snow and ice. Our third vehicle is a Volvo XC and I believe the Santa Fes handle the winter weather better.

Before buying the first I was a bit sceptical about safety, comfort and reliability. I had looked at the Lexus RX and just couldn't justify the price. Would I like to see some additions to the Santa Fe interior - yes - especially an outdoor temp reader, power seats, and a sunroof. Must admit that I saw a KIA Sorento in the parking lot yesterday and it looked really nice. But, I can tell you that my experience with our three Santa Fes and the dealership we have used has been excellent. I would not hesitate to buy another....if only they would come up with some new colors!

Happy Holidays!
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    I sell Hyundai's and I have noticed that only LX model Santa Fe's seem to have ABS, since it is standard equipment. I don't know why Hyundai says ABS is optional on the base and GLS models; what dealers are getting them with ABS? Also, for some reason all the Santa Fe's we have received with the factory trailer hitch installed have only been 2wd models; go figure!

I'd like to see a few changes on the Santa Fe when the 3.5 liter V6 comes out in 2003; a compass, optional DVD based GPS, power front seat(s), a control to vary the heat on the heated seats and a rear seat a/c duct. Lower profile tires would be nice as well.
  • dlipterdlipter Member Posts: 3
    bgkanne1,

When in 2003 will the 3.5 liter engine in the SantaFe hit the streets?

Thanks,

Dennis
    This afternoon, I took delivery on my 2003 Santa Fe LX, Nordic White with Moonroof. (Love it!)

At the time of delivery, I noticed slight condensation inside the driver's-side foglight. Dealer said foglight will be ordered and replaced ASAP.

When I got home tonight, I noticed slight condensation inside BOTH headlights AND the passenger's-side fog lights. I drove a "demo" Santa Fe for 2 days and never noticed any condensation. FYI: It's been relatively cool here (30's at night and 50's during the day). No rain in the past 3 or 4 days.

Has anyone else experienced this on their Santa Fe? Is this condensation "normal"; or, is this cause for concern?

THANKS.
    gator72:
    No condensation here (Florida) - in any of the four front-facing lamps.
  • scubazscubaz Member Posts: 4
    I have looked around and really like the Santa Fe. I am on the verge of buying one but am concerned about the current events with North Korea and how it might affect our relations with South Korea - and Hyundai cars/parts. I have noticed a few posts where it seemed to take a long time to get parts from Korea.

Is anyone else concerned of the effect of world events on these cars (warantees and resale value etc) and the ability to get parts for them? What are your thoughts??
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    The next time the Hyundai rep comes into our dealer, I will ask when the 3.5 liter V6 Santa Fe is due to arrive at the dealers and what additional changes to the vehicle will be made, if any. I believe they will be available in the springtime, but I cannot confirm it yet. In addition, I will ask what plans Hyundai has to insure adequate parts inventories as well as new vehicles in the US, if the situation with North Korea escalates.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Out of curiousity I called Hyundai USA. I inquired as to why the color Copper Orange metallic is not available in the US, but is in Canada, Australia, etc. She went to find out and came back with the reply that the color is "Too bold" for US tastes! I said that there are a bunch of cars already available or were recently with similar colors and that I couldn't understand what the big deal would be to bring some over into the US. At least let the buying public decide what they want.
    I cannot stand marketing people. They always think they know what people want and they're wrong half the time.
    "Too bold"! Have they ever seen a yellow XTerra??

Here are colors in Australia (and Canada): http://www.keema.com.au/Sectors/newcars/hyundai/santafe/santafe.htm
  • godbrovagodbrova Member Posts: 9
    i just negotiated a deal for a gls w/sun/abs and the other goodies for total cost of 22k. that includes tax/destination/etc. is that fair. if i accept i will recieve the vehicle in 3 weeks. all they have is blue in stock and i want black or pewter.
  • andyz3andyz3 Member Posts: 10
    To answer gator72s question about condensation inside the fog lamps or any lens. Yes it a concern if the condensation remains for any length of time. It may just be a one-time event and disappear after the lights are on for awhile. But if the condensation returns after driving in the rain. Then the seal is bad between the lens and the shiny reflective surface. I had this problem with a few other cars I owned. Mostly GM. The reflector will discolor turn dull and your lights will not be as bright.
    Bring this to the attention of your service dept. have them replaced if the problem persists. It will be covered under warranty as long as the lens is not cracked by a stone.
    If the $22,000 includes tax and destination charges that is not a bad deal. It is a slow time of yr and they need to move the vehicles. Mine was the lx for $23,500 including woodgrain and polycoating. I love the perks on this vehicle. I only had to pau taxes. Hard to compare apples to oranges. For sure you will love it!! It does not hurt to ask for the perks ! Good Luck !!!
    is your lx loaded. i was offered a fully loaded lx for 24 that included everything. i am glad to hear that it is a good car. my brother is trying to get me into a saturn vue. the problem is i dont like how they look and i havent read to many good things about them.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    I would leave the penny there unless it rattles..The center console around the gear lever can get damaged while being taken apart to get at the coin. The Neanderthals probably have never done it before and didn't want to bother with that 'cause it might turn out to be somrhting that can't be done in a minute or two skillfully for free.
    You might want to check the Rollover Resitance Ratings from the NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html

The star ratings are based on what they call "Static Stability Factor", which is determined by the track width and the height of center of gravity. They use some kind of machine to get the height and stabilizer bar is not a factor affecting the measurement.
    The trailer hitch is not a factroy part; It's US-sourced and installed at the port. Look for an A/C duct for rear passengers under the carpet below the front seats.
    went into production this month. They'll start to show up on the dealer lots in Jan/Feb.
  • icehawk5icehawk5 Member Posts: 15
    I had mentioned earlier in this discussion that the Dec. issue of Boating Magazine had performed a tow test with the Santa Fe. They rated it to be a very good tow vehicle. For the best tow performance, they do recommend ABS, V6, and AWD. This test isn't on this mag's website yet -but you may be able to find this issue in your local grocery store.
    We are now on our second Santa Fe. We traded our 2001 model for a new 2003 GLS V6 AWD. The Santa Fe seems to hold their value really well. I had originally paid $19500 for my 2001 and I got $17500 for it on trade. I paid $21500 for my 2003 with moonroof, ABS, AWD, Monsoon 6-Disc changer. They even threw in a tow package and a rear window air deflector.

On the tow package - I do recommend only going with the OEM Hyundai package. The dealership had originally contracted U-haul to install their so-called "OEM specific hitch" by Drawtite and it was the poorest fitting hitch I had ever seen. The exhaust system rattled against it and there was no clearance for the spare tire. Once I had complained to the dealership, they promptly ordered and installed the Hyundai hitch - (round tube model) and haven't had a problem since. If this hitch is ordered from Hyundai - they also include the wiring harness, receiver cover and receiver (no ball). This is a much cleaner installation.
    Both the 2001 and 2003 Santa Fe's that I have owned have never been short on power. Off the line acceleration isn't the greatest-but once you are moving-the Santa Fe does not fail to perform. It passes other vehicles effortlessly. My family and I have taken several road trips to L.A. from S.F. along the I-5 corridor in both the 2001 and 2003 models, and power delivery has always been smooth and ready to perform - they even handled the Grapevine grade with nary a wimper. I was passing V-8's up the grade! Even my sister-in-law's 4-cylinder 2003 Santa Fe 2WD did well on the Grapevine. So short on power - maybe for some people - but I am very satisfied with the power delivery of this vehicle.

The only thing I am not happy with is the gas mileage. It never seems to be consistent and fluctuates a lot - even in the same driving conditions - I have never gotten anywhere close to what is posted as the "rated range" for this vehicle. (GLS, V6, AWD)

Anyone else having problems with gas mileage?
  • gator_28gator_28 Member Posts: 14
    I'm really interested in the Santa Fe for its features and all the standard options it comes with but I just test drove a Sorrento and this new SUV is making my decision a little more difficult! Kia has gone all out to try to make a pretty durable SUV that is loaded with lots of options and features unlike the cheaply made sportage. Incredibly both these SUVs are very similar in performance and features. Does anybody have any input on this comparison??
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Yes, it is a nice vehicle, but please remember one thing: the Santa Fe is based on a car platform (a "cute ute", if you will), while the Sorento is on a truck frame. The ride and the mileage will both take a big hit because of this. What you need to ask yourself is how much serious four-wheeling are you going to do? If your needs our light, like ours, choose the Hyundai. We have had our 2002.5 Santa Fe since May, putting on 15000 miles in the process. We absolutely love it and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if we could afford it!!! Good luck with your decision.
  • jci1jci1 Member Posts: 34
    Can you owners please list what you have been getting in mpg? Also let me know if it's a 2wd or awd. Thanks!
    i am trying to purchase this black/silver gls w/sun/abs. i have discussed cost with several dealers so i decided to goto one dealer who agreed with my offer of $22,000, including tax and destination. well to make a long story short i did not get my santa fe yet. i got in the dealership and got the run around. the manager that helped me tried to sell me the car without the sunroof or abs. i am sitting there, i look at my wife and newborn daughter and i say that is like selling me a car without airbags, let's get outta here. guess it is time to go outta town.
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    I have a 2001 LX 2WD,and I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. I average between 22 and 23 miles to the gallon,in surburban driving,and 26to27 mpg on the Interstate. I have 22,500 miles on the Santa Fe.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's great Lrchome, even better than the EPA estimates. You must have the right "touch." I guess flat roads help too....

Steve, Host
  • dthompson6dthompson6 Member Posts: 1
    The price you quote seems like such a sweet deal. what part of the country do you live in? I am from Maine and having a hard time finding the one we want. We would like the GLS,Abs,AWD roof rack and tow at least. of course would get the LX if in our price range. The dealership could locate one and said $22,199 though not sure on roof rack. Seems high. Didn't seem to want to go lower than 24 for the 2 lx they had on lot. Slim pickings up here. Any suggestions? Also does anyone have the gold/sandstone color? Are you happy with it? that is what the one the located is.
  • mj14mj14 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for a reputable dealer in the Nassau County area of Long Island, NY. I believe My fathers 2002 Santa Fe (bought in August) has a transmission and electrical problem I will be handling this problem for him and am not familiar with the Valley Stream or Hempstead Service departments. Someone also mentioned Huntington which will be about 3o minutes away but will be worth the trip if they are better. Thank you. First time posting and any information will be appreciated!
  • jci1jci1 Member Posts: 34
    For those who want to check out a no hassle approach to pricing, try this link. You will see what they have in their inventory and the list and the invoice prices on each vehicle.

http://www.fitzmall.com/carfind/search.asp

Then just scrool down to Hyundai Santa Fe and press GO!

PS: The discounts offered on other makes seem to be substantial, much more than the Hyundai discounts. And no I do not work there, I just think it's a really cool way to shop!

dthompson6:

What part of Maine are you in? Coincidentally, I am also from Maine. Grew up in North ME and then my family relocated to Portland, ME area.

I now reside in Northern, CA in the S.F. Bay Area. I purchased my Santa Fe in the Bay Area from a friend that works in the business.

Good Luck with your search! The Santa Fe is worth the effort.
    O.K. Lots to answer.....On the gas mileage it does seem to vary last we checked we were about 22 hwy and 20 city. We have owned 3 Saturns and have had excellent luck with all 3. I and everyone else assumed I would purchase the Saturn Vue. I started and exhaustive search driving SUV till I was test driving in my sleep. I wanted to like the Vue. The interior looked like plastic and I was not impressed with the drive. I drove them all. I made my husband drive them with me. I am a sales Rep and spend time in my vehicle. I slid into the Sante Fe and it just felt right. It drove and handled so well. It is a loaded LX. Did it over the internet. Got them to add the woodgrain and poly coating for $23,500. Did pay taxes. Its amazing I have had people stop me and ask how I liked it. Mine is the sandstone had lots of compliments to answer your question
    Thanks Andyz3 for the reply. I've been driving my new Santa Fe LX for a week now and have NOT noticed any more condensation in any of the headlights or foglights. Since last week, we've had all kinds of weather here on the Gulf Coast - from near 75 degrees and rain - all the way down to 30 degrees last night - still NO condensation!

I'll keep my eye on it for a while just to be sure.
    If anyone has any suggestions on hooking up the rear bumper lights, I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Specifically, I'm looking for a socket to fit the lens in the rear bumper. I can adapt the wiring if necessary.

I tried to order a wiring harness from my local Hyundai dealer; but, today, the parts guy told me Hyundai would not ship it in the States.

I have been to all the local automotive/parts suppliers in my area and cannot find a socket that will fit the red lenses in the rear bumper. I found a website that said to use one from a 1993 Mazda RX-7; but, I would prefer to get something new - "off-the-shelf".

I did find some sockets that would fit the hole; BUT, the did not have the "4-corners" and rubber gasket to prevent leaks into the lens.
    Last week, I bought a white 2003 Santa Fe LX with a sunroof. After driving it for a week, I must say I am impressed with the fit and finish; and, overall quality of the vehicle. The quality of the Santa Fe rivals anything in its class from Japan.

I haven't calculated my mileage yet, but today I filled up with 12.8 gallons after driving about 390 miles in the city. FYI: I have a "heavy" foot.

I came out of a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab with a 4.7 liter V-8. It would pass everything but a gas station! So, it took a while to get used to the V-6 power of the Santa Fe. However, in all fairness to the Santa Fe, it has PLENTY of power for freeway merging. I don't miss the Dakota at all - especially the big gas bill each week!

Bottom line: I would recommend the Santa Fe to anyone looking at a mid-sized or "cute" ute; especially the LX model.