Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited February 2013
    Not if it refers to a spud. ;)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    Good point. Would Mr. Potato Head be offended if someone referred to him as a 'redskin'? LOL
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    One of the most ridiculous cases of overkill was the U of Illinois "Fighting Illini". But then that state has the honor of being home to the American Bar Association!
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Mr. Potato Head

...and if he's short in stature, you best not be using the nickname "French" Fry either!
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    Lawyers, what can't they do?

On the American car topic, I was reading through a magazine I got in Germany a few months ago - had sales figures for August. That month, the Camaro outsold the Lexus GS in Germany by 20%! So American cars must not be all bad to everyone.

The current Malibu is also being sold in Germany, believe it or not. The magazine was fairly positive about it, liking the design, price, and coming fairly loaded as standard (German makes don't play that way). They mainly complained about the "un sporty" transmission and lack of engine choices.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited February 2013
    So American cars must not be all bad to everyone.

Europe is buying old American cars. My neighbor sold a 57 Chevy to someone in Germany. My barber sold her prize 1956 Ford PU truck to someone in Sweden.

It is possible the German government is giving American branded cars a break to get the balance of trade more balanced. Last year we were on the negative by about $70 billion.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,138
    Yeah, old American cars have been going over for years, old European cars too. They are just worth more there, even with a few grand for shipping, one can come out ahead.

I don't know if it is a trade thing - who knows if the Malibu will actually sell there - if it doesn't sell, it doesn't help a deficit. I don't believe American cars have any special import duties either. I think the Chevy brand in Germany (mostly Korean stuff) just wants a full model range, and there are Germans who like big and cheap. Interesting that it is offered anyway.
    Interesting that it is offered anyway.

I agree, the only thing from D3 that had my attention is the new JGC until I saw the Pics of them. Look like some Lexus designer was hired. YUCK.

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That's not the JGC - it's the Cherokee.

Based on an Alfa platform.
    It's not Europe, but as some of you already know, my 1963, 1964, and 1966 Studebaker Daytonas all were sold by me to buyers in Australia in the past two years.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    I know a guy (not well) who has a 1950 Pontiac two-door fastback bodystyle (whatever they called it), with a similar hood ornament. I think that ornament is awesome.
    I was corrected on that by someone on Rocky's FB page. Thank goodness it is not the GC.
    That hood ornament would look good on any number of cars. Sadly I was a poor lad that could not afford to even buy a rag top for my 1947 Pontiac. Drove it a year with no top. Put a tarp over it when it rained.
    Was the Daytona ever sold in the USA? Or was that the Stude Lark sold here? I sold my 1955 Studebaker two door hardtop about 1962 and got into off road vehicles. That is one of about 3 vehicles I have owned I wish I still had.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    In the 1970s Philadelphia had:

3 - NBC
    6 - ABC
    10 - CBS
    12 - PBS
    17 - Independent
    29 - Independent
    48 - Independent

In 1975, my Dad bought a thing called a rotor for the roof antenna. Using the rotor to aim the antenna, we were able to pull in the New York channels and a few from Lancaster, Reading, and even NE Pennsylvania! We kids thought it was absolutely awesome getting all those extra channels!
    My American-made Zenith console TV just died after 27 years. The On/Off switch broke and the set won't come on, but it still delivered a phenomenal picture until then. Sad I can't find the part anywhere. I doubt very much a new LED TV will last that long.
    I believe Jaguar was originally called "SS Cars."
    Yeesh - if an Impala spec'd out to my standards is $38K, I might as well get that loaded Buick LaCrosse CXS for my wife instead and just get another hooptie for myself.
    edited February 2013
    I wonder why my wife who is 100% Irish doesn't get upset about the teams being named the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame's "Fightin' Irish?"
    Was the Daytona ever sold in the USA? Or was that the Stude Lark sold here? I sold my 1955 Studebaker two door hardtop about 1962 and got into off road vehicles. That is one of about 3 vehicles I have owned I wish I still had.

It was called "Lark Daytona" in '62 and '63--the upper-scale Lark hardtop and convertible. They dropped the "Lark" in '64-66, but it was still basically a Lark.
    I wonder why my wife who is 100% Irish doesn't get upset about the teams being named the Boston Celtics or Notre Dame's "Fightin' Irish?"

Because those aren't derogatory terms or mascots.

Call them the Boston Paddies or have their mascot dress up in blue collar clothes and have him walk around with a potato in one hand and a beer in the other you'd get backlash.

I think most of the issues have more to do with the logos and cheers. Perhaps to us non natives, but I can see when one is characterized by:

Heck - the Golden State Warriors dumped the Indian themed logos over 40 years ago. Why can't other teams?
    edited February 2013
    I can't see how the Notre Dame mascot would be considered complimentary to Irish folks. I'm not complaining; I think political correctness has run amok though.

I forgot to mention this...on the way to the Auto Show yesterday, on I-480, I passed a current-iteration Mopar minivan with a Marine Corps mural painted on it, and "World War II Veteran" written near the mural. I was pretty impressed. Hadn't seen anything like that before. I should've honked and waved.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Jeep might sell some Chief Wahoo trimmed Cherokees to folks in Cleveland but I think most would fit it a bit offensive.

The Washington football team has a pretty disgusting history of discrimination themselves.

But the weekend if over so enough digressing eh?

Anyone tire-kicking or going to an autoshow?
    edited February 2013
    How 'bout Washington Rednecks? ;)

Honey Boo Boo could be the mascot. Instead of burgundy and gold let's just dip the uniforms in mud.

I wish them luck convincing Danny.

The Hogettes used to be sponsored by a Ford dealer, to get back to cars.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Every Native American mascot isn't found to be offensive to the population represented by the mascot.

Florida State is one.

Read more below, if interested...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mascot_controversy

For Uplanderguy, a few posts back...

IIRC, the late 40/early 50's GM "fastback" body styles were called "torpedo" body styles...
    Every Native American mascot isn't found to be offensive to the population represented by the mascot.

Florida State is one.

I've known that the Florida Seminole tribe has approved of Florida State's use of the name as well as others. But the NCAA continues to work towards eliminating team names and mascots that they consider offensive to Native Americans and they still maintain some sort of banned list of schools that still do use them.

Many of the names go back decades and as such hold great history. But you'd never see a team starting today to use such names. Even when names are changed, it doesn't take long for the old name to be forgotten. Heck, even the Washington Bullets had the sense to rename themselves and when the Sonics moved to OKC, they eschewed the favored OKC Tornadoes in favor of Thunder in order to avoid insensitivity.
    edited February 2013
    FSU's song and the chopping motion from the fans is just annoying. Would love to see them do away with those.

Maybe it's because I'm a Terps fan. ;)
    FSU's song and the chopping motion from the fans is just annoying. Would love to see them do away with those.

The song and the chop, or the song, chop and fans?

Sorry, I couldn't resist... LOL!
    But you'd never see a team starting today to use such names. Even when names are changed, it doesn't take long for the old name to be forgotten.

Well there are folks that don't even like teams being named after animals.

Just like car makes and models, its always fairly easy to find someone who doesn't like the given name.

I think some people are always looking for some reason to be offended.
    Funny how the meaning of things change over the years, and the significance those changes can have on our society ...

Remember the cartoon TV show "The Flintstones"?

Each show opened with them in their car, going to a drive-in movie. If you're under 25 and reading this, ask your parents what a drive-in movie was.

How about the theme song lyrics? Check out the last verse of the theme song below...

When you're with the Flintstones
    you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
    A dabba doo time.
    You'll have a gay old time.

Who thinks the last line in that verse would be written today?
    I think teams should be named after the produce in their area. Like in CA we grow many kinds of NUTS.

The USC Walnuts
    Berkeley Pistachios
    UCSD Pecans
    and fruits
    Georgia Peaches a
    Washington Apples.
    and flakes
    Washington DC Corn Flakes
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2013
    My wife rooted for the UC Banana Slugs for a couple of years before going down to the home of Oski the Bear to finish.

No tire kickers? How about buying American stock then? (Detroit Free Press)

Maybe that's why the DOW fell a couple of hundred points today. :shades:
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Are any electronics or speakers still made in the USA?
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Who thinks the last line in that verse would be written today?

It might be more likely, as Fred and Barney were *best* friends!

I saw a Camaro on the road the other night, and for whatever reason I'd have to say that it looks better at night than during the day. I don't really like its looks - to bathtub-like and taillights don't look good to me. But when lit up at night and perhaps not able to see the low roofline, it looks better.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    Are any electronics or speakers still made in the USA?

I believe that Klipsch and Thiel still build speakers in the USA. I'm sure a few high-end electronics are still built here as well.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Yeesh - if an Impala spec'd out to my standards is $38K, I might as well get that loaded Buick LaCrosse CXS for my wife

Impala for $38K? Who in their right mind would buy a Chevy Impala when getting into BMW 3 series or Acura price range? Impala has yet to prove anything with their 2014 model. We will see if it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and command a $38K MSRP.
    As I mentioned, I saw a non-Hybrid Fusion that stickered at $35K, and made in Mexico--Ford must be making a nice margin on that!!

I don't think Impala buyers want a German smallish car, as much as Bimmer buyers don't want an Impala.

For whatever reason, lemko, I did hear somewhere that the Impala's trunk was quite a bit larger than a LaCrosse, although honestly I don't know why it would be. I think it's odd that the LaCrosse is built where the Malibu is. I wouldn't think they'd share a lot of stuff.
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I thought the Impala had more in common with the XTS than the Lacrosse?
    The Impala, XTS and Lacrosse are all based on the Epsilon platform hence they are all related.
    And also, BTW, I wouldn't walk across the street to glance at a BMW 3-series. I have a very stereotypical view of their owners, based on actual experiences. ;)
    I have some American-made Cerwin-Vega speakers, but they're pretty old. I'm not sure if they're still made in the USA.
    And also, BTW, I wouldn't walk across the street to glance at a BMW 3-series. I have a very stereotypical view of their owners, based on actual experiences.

You mean "what's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW driver?" With the porcupine the p*ick is on the outside.

LOL - I slay me. I'll be here all week, try the veal.

That sentiment though is now attributed to Audi drivers as well.
    I have some American-made Cerwin-Vega speakers, but they're pretty old. I'm not sure if they're still made in the USA.

Cerwin Vega is now owned by Gibson. Their products are made in Malaysia and China per wiki.
    Guess I'll be hanging onto those speakers for life. China and Malaysia? Yuck!
    LOL - I slay me. I'll be here all week, try the veal.

'Enjoy Shecky in the Contiki room from February 26-28'.
    The Impala, XTS and Lacrosse are all based on the Epsilon platform hence they are all related.

True, but the dimensions of the Impala seem closer to the XTS overall than the Lacrosse. The Lacrosse is about 4" shorter than the XTS and Impala which are 201.3" and 202". That may partially explain the difference in trunk room.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    The On/Off switch broke and the set won't come on, but it still delivered a phenomenal picture until then. Sad I can't find the part anywhere. I doubt very much a new LED TV will last that long.

Is there any way you could just glue it back together? Or perhaps wire up some kind of generic on-off switch?

The on-off switch (or pull-knob, rather) is the only thing that ever broke on my 1984 Toshiba 19". Years ago, it started pulling completely out and coming off. You could push it back in, but to turn the tv on and pull it out, you'd have to put a little downward pressure on it, to get it to actually turn on the tv.

I haven't used that tv in years. Actually, I don't even know where it is! :sick: I think it's over at my grandmother's house, probably in the basement somewhere. I probably should get rid of it, as I know I'll never have a need for it again. It's kind of a dumb thing to get attached to, but I have fond childhood memories of it, as I actually saved up half the money to buy it, from working, Christmas money, etc, and my Granddad matched me half.
    China and Malaysia? Yuck!

You can thank the current government administration for that. They will not allow Gibson to use most hardwoods from other countries. The only way you can get many hardwood products into the USA is in finished form. That was part of the deal Obama made with India where a lot of hardwood comes from.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    Yeesh - if an Impala spec'd out to my standards is $38K, I might as well get that loaded Buick LaCrosse CXS for my wife instead and just get another hooptie for myself.

Personally, I think the Impala is better looking than the LaCrosse. BTW, the top trim level of a LaCrosse starts at around $38K these days, and can be optioned up to around $46K MSRP, if you click every single option. Now, some of that stuff includes built-in DVDs in the back, and a ~$2000 wheel/tire package, so there's a little fluff in there.

But here's what bugs me...the base price of a LaCrosse is around $31,000, and that's just with a 4-cyl! A Chrysler 300 starts at around $30,000, and comes standard with a V-6. Now, the LaCrosse might still have more standard features, but IMO at least, the 300 just has more presence to it.
    But here's what bugs me...the base price of a LaCrosse is around $31,000, and that's just with a 4-cyl! A Chrysler 300 starts at around $30,000, and comes standard with a V-6. Now, the LaCrosse might still have more standard features, but IMO at least, the 300 just has more presence to it.

I agree. I wonder how many LaCrosse's sell with a 4cyl. My guess is not many.