Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    If anyone has any suggestions on hooking up the rear bumper lights, I would appreciate it if you would post it here. Specifically, I'm looking for a socket to fit the lens in the rear bumper. I can adapt the wiring if necessary.

gator72:

Got to this URL and click on the "Rear Fog Light Conversion 1 & 2" It gives one solution.
    http://home.nyc.rr.com/twospirits411/modifications.htm
  • godbrovagodbrova Member Posts: 9
    ok i am suppose to go pick up a black gls awd/sun/abs/mud for 23,494 (total cost with taxes and everything). is this a good deal. i am dealing with the internet person at the dealership. also this nyc so i know the pricing game is a little different. if i can get some quick responses because i am making the deal today!!! in desperate need of this car.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out our True Market Value.

tidester, host

tidester... the tmv is a little cheaper but isnt that quote without tax. if so then i am looking at a good deal
    Then go for it! [usual disclaimers apply!]

tidester, host
  • kayeedeekayeedee Member Posts: 1
    I was browsing through the msg board and noticed the website posted where you can find out what cars are on the dealers lot and how much they want for them. Does anyone know of any other sites? I have gone to various dealers sites in PA and to the car quote sites. I also went to the local dealer. They are willing to give me what I consider a decent deal BUT its been since thanksgiving and they cannot locate a silver GLX for me.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I own a 2001 Santa Fe 6 cylinder automatic that's fully loaded. It just turned to 30,000 miles on the odometer. This vehicle is EXCELLENT. We have NEVER had any problems with it. The car runs nicely and it is economical. We drive this car HARD and it has kept up very well for us. I thought that I might share with you all this information.

I recommend the Santa Fe to anyone here who is thinking of buying one. The fit, finish and quality of these SUV's are EXCELLENT. I own the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper extended warranty and I have not needed to use it yet. The car runs absolutely great.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can try our PowerShopper to get quotes in your area.

Steve, Host

why is it that when you contact a dealer before a purchase they cant do anything for you, or cant hear your offer but... as soon as they return your call and you tell them oh i already made the purchase they say now they can beat any price. isnt that hillarious. any comment or has this happened to anyone else.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    Jumping in a little late, but here goes...

I installed the DrawTite trailer hitch and it fits beautifully. No clearance problems at all, with either the exhaust or the spare tire, and it tucks neatly into the bumper, leaving everything but the receiver hidden. The wiring harness also plugs right in to the factory connectors, no wire cutting or splicing needed.

With just over 30k on a 2001 LX FWD, we get 21-22 or so in our normal city/highway mix. Highway is 23-25 or so. With 75 MPH speed limits and lots of hills there aren't too many cars that get EPA numbers around here.

-Jason
  • icehawk5icehawk5 Member Posts: 15
    The hitch that was originally installed on my Santa Fe was by U-haul (they had stated that it was actually made by Drawtite and relabeled as U-haul) but this is probably not factual considering the poor fit. The other difference could possibly be related to the fact that your Santa Fe is FWD and mine is AWD, which could also be the reason for the poorer fit (my unprofessional assumption).

Anyhow, with the new factory hitch, I have not had any problems at all. I even had the fortunate pleasure of towing with my Santa Fe last week and it performed beautifully. I ended up towing a 5'x9' utility trailer, which was fully loaded, behind my Santa Fe . The Santa Fe pulled this trailer no problem. I took it on the freeway and before I knew it I was doing 75mph. It didn't even feel like I was towing anything at all. (Although this probably wasn't anywhere near the weight of a boat, I just thought I would share my towing experience.)

As for gas mileage - I can never seem to get anywhere close to the rated range for my AWD Santa Fe. I had the same problem with my 2001 which was also AWD. I would like to know how some of you are achieving such high mileage. I am lucky if I get 17-18 mpg on the freeway in my Santa Fe.
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    I believe something is out of adjustment with your fuel delivery system,if you are only getting 17-18 mpg on the Interstate highways.
    I have a 2wd LX and get 22-23 local suburban driving and 26-27 on the Interstate. I live in Fla and drive on flat roads. I realize the 4wd units get less mpg than 2wd,but yours seems awful low.
  • carseeker4carseeker4 Member Posts: 228
    This is long, but I hope it will be helpful for those investigating the Hyundai Santa Fe. It will be objective.
    As promised I am issuing a 10,000 mile update (car is 10 months old).

Well at 10,300 miles on our Pine Green Santa Fe GLS 4WD V6, its time for my promised objective review. So here goes:

5000 mile summary (I posted on this a while back, so I won't go into detail): At 469 miles the throttle position sensor failed and was
    fixed with a one day visit to the dealer. Slight rust on wheel hub was replaced (no cost) with a 1-hour visit to the dealer.

Summary of 5000 to 10000 miles:

Catastrophic (life threataning) problems: none. I'm still alive!

Major problems (engine/tranny internals): none.

Significant problems (parts peripheral to the drivetrain): none

Minor problems: Clicking noise in belt driven components when cold. Dealer replaced belt-tensioner during regular oil-change. No inconvenience there.

Annoying things (I'll repeat these in brief, no additional items since 5000 miles):
    STILL not REALLY enough driver leg room (I complained about it on my Lumina too!).
    The "brow" of the window sits low and I have to bend my head to look at red lights when I'm first in line at the light! (I guess I'd better run more yellow lights!). Otherwise, head
    room is fine.
    The 12V power adapters run ONLY when the ignition is ON. I'm sure this is a safety feature.
    Slight dash creak in colder weather (below 50 F) and on bumpy roads (which in PA is most roads!).
    Slight whistle at very high speeds ( &) to *) MPH....encrypted to avoid state police spies! ;-0 ).
    City gas mileage between 17-18, and Hyundai seems to acknowledge that on their 2003 stickers! Highway mileage (23 w/4WD) is right on, and maybe a bit conservative.
    Cool things (again, repeated with the exception of the final item on the GREAT handling in the snow):
    Rear cargo area is great. We've hauled a
    coffee table and a 6 ft dogwood tree.
    V6 is relatively quiet at cruising speed, which is why I wanted it. Power output is acceptable for the 4WD.
    LOVE the light thing...you can leave the lights on and when you turn the ignition off the headlights go off and when you open the door the dash light turns off. When you get back in, it all goes in reverse. Like having daytime running
    lights. A cool, unadvertised feature.
    Seats are comfortable and firm (needs more legroom, didn't I mention that?!).
    Interior is the BEST-designed of all the mini-SUVS.
    Exterior is a tad overdone but not ugly.
    Since I have driven the Santa Fe in TWO significant snowfalls recently (Dec 5 and Christmas), the performance in those conditions with ABS/Traction Control and AWD is .....
    MAGNIFICENT!

All in all, we really like this car. Reliability-wise it has been no worse (and, mostly BETTER) than American cars we have owned. I thought Hyundai was a gamble but each day driving this vehicle confirms the fact that Hyundai is a real player in the market! If you've been afraid of buying a Hyundai, don't be. I hope this helped anyone looking. I'll hold off posting another review until about 20,000 miles unless other significant issues come up.
  • gator72gator72 Member Posts: 115
    I just got my new Santa Fe back from the dealer after they installed the bumper lights; took about an hour and cost $109 (parts and labor). They look great! They illuminate whenever the head lights/parking lights are turned on OR whenever the brakes are applied.

My dealer was unable to order the wiring harness from Hyundai. However, they were able to cannibalize a harness from a Hyundai in their salvage yard.

The lights look great! However, I'm considering switching to the LED bulbs for more brightness and less current.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    The manumatic works like an automatic when put into "D". When you move the shifter to the right into the shorter slot, then you can bump it up or bump it down, depending on if you are upshifting or downshifting. This allows you to shift when YOU want to shift, only without the need for a clutch. When you stop at a light it will automatically downshift back to first gear, but you have to remember to shift it yourself when light is green. I think you can get the stick in a Santa Fe, but only with the 4-cylinder.
    Hello All.

A few weeks back, I purchased a white, 2003 Santa Fe LX (2WD). So far, everything is great.

One question: I've noticed a high-pitched sound at highway speed (70 and above). It almost sounds like a jet turbine. When I take my foot off the gas, it stops. When I press the gas, it returns. It appears to be coming from the transmission.

This might be normal, since the Demo I drove for 2 days did the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed the high-pitched sound?

BTW: On the Santa Fe Forum, someone posted instructions on how to add a cabin air filter to reduce interior dust; same filter used in the high-end Sonata. Has anyone here added the cabin filter to their S.F.?

THANKS
  • needsantafelxneedsantafelx Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why it's so hard to find a Santa Fe LX? We can only find a brown one 50 miles away (here in Austin, TX).

Also heard that there is something wrong with the ABS installed on the new 2003 model and Hyundai has to fix it - and that's why they are delayed. Has anyone heard of that?
  • mamma94mamma94 Member Posts: 1
    What kinds of pricing have people gotten? Edmunds lists 21624 as invoice with pack #8.l I just got a quote of 21,897 with 120 miles do you think this is a good price

GLS 4X4 with ABS and 6cd changer stereo?????
    Dear "NeedSantaFeLX",

Don't know about Austin, but LX's are plentiful all over the Gulf Coast; (Alabama, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi) {I looked all over for the best price before I bought my 2003 LX with moonroof}. I just got searched Hyundai's Houston website and found PLENTY of LX's in the Houston Dealers' inventories.

BUT if you want more power, you might want to wait a couple of months (end of April 2003) til the bigger 3.5 liter V6 arrives in the LX models.

No problems with the ABS on my 2003 LX. AND, I've not read about any such problems on the 2003 models.

I just took a road trip of 1,000 miles thru all kinds of weather and never had a problem with the brakes. However, I still notice a tranny noise at highway speeds which might or might not be normal for this model; (sounds like the whine from a jet engine - only not as loud).
    That 3.5 V6 engine sounds exciting. Are the new 3.5L Santa Fes going to arrive the local dealers around end of Apr. or been shipped from Korea? And which website do you go to search the dealer inventory? Can't wait to have one.
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    just going to be available in the LX's? Or will it be available in the GLS's as well?
    Dear "NeedSantaFeLX" and "IUseCad",

Check the link below to learn more about the 3.5:

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_hyundai_seeks_new_2/index.htm

I believe the article said it would arrive on dealers' lots in late April 2003. The big V6 will probably be offered only in the LX.
  • ezhopezhop Member Posts: 1
    I just recently brought a Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD sandstone(color) for $18,799 after getting a $2,500 dealer rebate: MSRP was $21299 to include crossrails,mud guards,destination charge and bug deflector. Was this a good deal since the base invoice is without options is 18584 (holdback is about $418.00. Ilike the ride!!!
  • lovescoachlovescoach Member Posts: 18
    Sounds like you got a good deal ! Hard to compare. Mine is an LX its 3 months now 2003. I LOVE IT !!! Mine was $23,500. With woodgrain and coated. Mudflaps,croosrails and destination was included. I had to pay the taxes. I have put on 6,000 miles already. The 6 disc changer is awesome. I too went with the Sandstone. Have had lots of compliments ! Enjoy it !
  • dina7dina7 Member Posts: 1
    am looking to lease a sf gls w/abs and sunroof they are quoting me at 329.00 a month 2,000 down which includes everything. they say the suv is priced at 22,899.00 and that is all the can do. but i am see people get lx for this price. can anyone help. i live in nj but will go out of state.

but i hav seen people get lx version for this amount
    Dina7,

Last month I bought a white, 2003 Santa Fe LX (FWD) with leather, sunroof, ABS w/traction control, and crossrails for roof rack. I paid $22,900 TOTAL.

For the money, I'd go for the LX.

JUST MY .02.
  • wbartowbarto Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any more info on when this will come out on the LX model? I am interesting in buying one now but can wait 2 months for the new engine if that is all it will be. Anybody have any other articles on this new engine coming out on the Santa Fe? The dealer I spoke with had no info - typical huh? Will there be much of a reduction in MPG over the 2.7L? Thanks!
  • hienphamhienpham Member Posts: 4
    Is it possible to chip the ECU to get more power ? Someone said you can use a simple resistor with the right value. Not sure how that really is.
    My deal on the LX was for $23,500 . I wanted the 4 wheel drive. Leather,sunroof,6disc c.d,had woodgrain and had the coating to protect the paint. Rails, mudflaps all included. So keep negotiating....you will love this vehicle! The only thing not included was the tax. Good Luck to you...mine handles incredibly in the snow !!!
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    I will contact the Hyundai rep and see if he knows when the new V6 is coming and if there will be any other changes. In the meantime, Hyundai is now shipping Santa Fe's with built-in running boards, which they did not have earlier. This feature can probably be retrofitted and looks great.
    can anyone tell me where i can get crash bars (protect my bumpers)from? is there any place besides hyundai?
  • happysfownerhappysfowner Member Posts: 1
    You could try Team Falcon Racing, at this link:

http://www.teamfalconracing.com/securestore/
    Also, brush guards/crash bars on ebay.com - if you do that.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Are you an SUV owner who has taken special action since the anti-SUV backlash began? Have you traded in your vehicle, reconsidered your purchase, cut back on your use of your SUV, parked in more protected/secure areas, etc? If so, a magazine writer wants to hear from you.
    Please respond with your make and model to jfallon@edmunds.com by February 28.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gypsydoggypsydog Member Posts: 4
    I got a firm deal, a 2003, LX, with moonroof, etc. for $21,500 - the deal is good for five more days.

Does anyone have a clue, can the running boards be removed? One dealer said 'sure, no problem', the one I've got the deal with said he didn't feel comfortable removing them. But it's just five bolts, I don't know... but as a 5'5, petite female, the running boards make it a pain the leg to get out of the vehicle. Otherwise, it's the perfect SUV for me.

Also, I can't find an LX loaded in Sandstone (which is my preference). The deal is on the blue (my 2nd choice).

Now, the news of the bigger V6 engine, guess if I was 100% satisfied with the LX package in front of me (sans running boards, different color) I'd be happy, or am I just being too picky?!
    I've got a deal on the table for a 2003, LX, 2WD, with moonroof, for $21,500.

I went to three dealerships, 2 played games or wouldn't deal, the 3rd was great & want a sale.

Ugh, if I could just get them to take the running boards off!

Hope my experience this weekend was a little help to you, I'm new to posting here & locating specific threads/replies is very confusing to me (i.e., I'm lost) :)
    Well, I'm in Houston, & I can tell you, there aren't any LX's with moonroofs in Sandstone (is that the 'brown' you mean?) down here.

Tell you what, I'll buy this blue one, you buy the brown one & we'll meet in Columbus or La Grange & swap ;)
    No buying, selling or swapping in Town Hall! ;-)

tidester, host
    I'll buy that! =;-)
    LX silver, 2WD, beside all the nice features (ABS, 6CD, Homelink, floor mat, auto-ac, etc.) it already carry, we added: sunroof, running board, and crossrail.

Drive off price (includes tax, des. charge, etc.)
    $23,300. We also purchased a Hyundai extended warranty which extend the bumper to bumper warranty to 10 years. Be careful with the extended warranty, ours is offered by Hyundai so it can be used with any dealer. Some dealer offers their own extended warranty which is more expensive and not nice like this one. The price we paid for that is $1000.
  • bmcadoobmcadoo Member Posts: 17
    I just bought at pewter 2003 LX AWD. Love it so far. I have a question on the gas tank and head lights. I looked in the manual, but couldn't find the answers. So, does anyone know how many gallons are remaining in the gas tank when the low gas light comes on? My other car has daytime running headlights. I turned on the Santa Fe's lights the other day, but forgot to turn them off when I got out of the car. Is there a timer that automatically turns them off after the car is turned off so the battery doesn't run down?
    Thanks
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    Don't worry about draining the battery. The headlamp is turned off when you shut the engine down. If you forget to turn the parking lamps off and open the door to exit, the body computer turns them off automatically.
  • uofm369uofm369 Member Posts: 4
    Does any one know how well the AWD drive works in the Santa Fe? I am looking at buying a GLS and want to know if it is better or worse the the Honda CR-V Realtime AWD?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Much to the surprise of many in the auto industry, Hyundai was among the best of the 2002 brands -- "a striking turnaround from its poor showing 10 years ago," according to Consumer Reports."

Hyundai's Warranty Program Comes to the Rescue (Washington Post)

Steve, Host
  • LDegrelleLDegrelle Member Posts: 74
    From my research, the Kia Sorento has the same 3.5L engine. The MPG for the 2WD is 15/20 and for the 4WD it is 15/18.

For the meager increase in horsepower, I will pass on the reduced fuel efficiency.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    The AWD system is a full-time system with torque going to all for wheels at all times. It's very similar to Subaru's AWD system on the Forester. The CRV is strictly front wheel drive until wheel slippage is detected, when the rear wheels kick in. The Honda system works OK, but most prefer a full time AWD system.

-Jason
  • 11thcav11thcav Member Posts: 9
    My 2003 Pine Green Santa Fe with less than 5000 miles was intentionally scratched from fender to fender on the driver's side last month. This was done with such pressure they actually caused dents in some areas. I got two quotes for repair, the first being just under $1000 by a body shop I know does great work. The second was for $1600 by a shop recommended by my dealer. This one told me that the gray plastic panels on the lower part of the vehicle had to be replaced, since once these things are removed, they cannot go back on. Someone must have had their Santa Fe repaired, and I would like to know their experience with this. Does this sound reasonable? I have had this vehicle since mid October, and after driving 4X4 trucks since 1974, I was totally satisfied with the way the Santa Fe got me through this miserable winter we had here in PA. With all the snow and ice, the traction control hardly ever engaged. I love this Hyundai!
  • pmasschepmassche Member Posts: 6
    I fully agree with you LDegrelle.
    I am looking at buying a GLS/LX in the fall of this year, when the 2004's come out. If the 3.5 L engine is the only engine available for the Santa Fe with a leather interior, I'm not going to buy it! With gas pricing all over the map, why would I want to go down to 15/16 MPG in the City. This engine is way too thirsty.

Unless Hyundai has something up their sleeves to increase fuel efficientcy, they will have a problem on their hands. Take a read of the Sorento discussion board. The number one grip of the car is fuel efficientcy!
    So do you love your Sante Fe ? Still in love with mine. Wanted to clarify my price. I went with the 4 wheel drive LX loaded with the woodgrain and coating. My price was $23,500. Saw another post for $21,500 but it was awd. Hope you were able to negotiate your way into a good deal also. I had them add all the extras into the deal cause I wanted it all. I am a sales Rep and spend a lot of time in my Sante Fe. It has really worked for me !! No problems...actually have sent others to the same dealership and they keep sending me $50 referrals !! Every time ! Santa Fe all the way !!