Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• deepdropdeepdrop Member Posts: 89
    I am currently deciding between the Santa Fe and the Subaru Forester. Both would be AWD models. The forester has a better EPA rating but I'm curious what people are actually getting with the SF all wheel drive. Thanks for any info.
  • andyz3andyz3 Member Posts: 10
    I get between 20 and 21 MPG on my Santa Fe. But mine is a FWD with trac control. I'm sure the AWD will get a few MPG's less. We love are Santa Fe. You set up higher than in any car. The only dislike I have is the spare tire location. Hyundai furnishes a full size spare tire mounted on a aluminum wheel. Then hangs it out in the open under the vehicle for the rocks and salt to take there toll.
  • nwebsternwebster Member Posts: 3
    I was reading through the manual of my 2003 Santa Fe LX AWD and I saw that when I turn the key, an AWD light should appear (along with the TCS, battery, seatbelt, etc... lights). Is this true? Because I don't think I have seen an AWD light.

Also, does the Santa Fe have a low washer fluid level light? My wife's 2001 Elantra does not, and while it's not a major concern, it is somewhat annoying.
  • williadaywilliaday Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

For my price (under 25K) I'm looking at the Toyota Highlander base 2WD, Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD, and the Subaru Forester XS AWD. I live in the Washington DC area (this past winter was heavy for us). Has anyone else compare these models, and what did you choose?

Thanks
  • relayerohiorelayerohio Member Posts: 7
    According to Hyundai's website, the 2.7L is a mechanical 4wd, whereas the 3.5L is described as an electronic 4wd, what is truly the difference?

Also, have a demo of a 2003 LX in the driveway right now, 2.7L w/ 2WD. Questions to anyone out there:
    1. The acceleration on the 2.7L seems fine for a 2WD, would I expect it to decrease on a 4WD?
    2. The leather seats seems awfully stiff, at least for my back, are the cloth seats any more cushioning?

Thanks for everybody's help.
  • lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    When you take your first long trip you will find those firm leather seats are extremely comfortable.
  • williadaywilliaday Member Posts: 10
    Hi--

Thanks musiclawyer :) Yeah, the Highlander will be over my budget. I really like the styling of the Santa Fe but the Forester seems to have more power. I hope to be able to rent them from Enterprise or someone. The 15 min test drives from the dealerships just don't do it for me.

Thanks again,
    williaday
  • relayerohiorelayerohio Member Posts: 7
    My local Hyundai dealer in Toledo had a demo Santa Fe. I was able to keep it overnight (they gave me 50miles, with each additional mile at $.20).

It wasn't as nice as having a rental to beat up, but it was much better than the standard test drive.

I'd suggest contacting your local dealers to see if they have any demo vehicles.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I just test drove the new 3.5L Santa Fe. It has the XG's 3.5L and 5-speed auto trans. There is a world of difference in power between the 2.7 and the 3.5. It was fun to drive and had great off the line and passing power. The 3.5 however gets 2 MPG less than the 2.7.
  • uofm369uofm369 Member Posts: 4
    How much more was the Santa Fe with the 3.5L compared to the 2.7L. Did the mileage go down more then two gallons for the AWD?
     Thanks
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Anybody know what changes will be introduced in the 2004 Santa Fe?
    I know that the body style is going to remain the same. Just want to find out if there will be any changes to the safety/interior specs.

Thanks!
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    I did not see an AWD with the 3.5 but I was told that it's 2 MPG less in both the FWD and AWD.

It looks like the 3.5 is about $1,500 more than the 2.7. The 3.5 comes with the 5-speed auto trans.
  • 11thcav11thcav Member Posts: 9
    I attended the New York Auto Show this week and found that Hyundai will be replacing the Pine Green (the color of my '03) with a fire truck red.
    In my opinion, this is a mistake. This vehicle does not look good in bright red. If you like the green, better find one now. The current blue is also being changed to a lighter blue...not bad.
  • teenboy13teenboy13 Member Posts: 17
    acutally the 3.5L engine comes with the same old 4 Speed SHIFTRONIC Transmission
  • italredfoxitalredfox Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am in a quandry- Santa Fe 3.5 4wd or a Kia Sorento? I like the car like feel better than the truckier Sorento. My dealership said that Kia is inferior to the Hyundai name- better parts in Hyundai. I always thought that Kia was the Acura to (Honda0 Hyndai. Can someone give me some input on this matter? Also has anyone taken their Santa Fe 4wd out on a off road trip-like a beach for example? I would appreciate knowing how it handled driving on sand. Thanks in advance.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    11thcav, my dealer has the Santa Fe in that bright red and my response was similar to yours ("what a mistake"). As long as they keep that lovely blue.

italredfox, what parts is the dealer suggesting are better in the Hyundai? The Kia has received good write-ups on its interior quality and the engine is from the Hyundai XG350. More salesman bluster? As for market position, the Kia is still a "notch" below the Hyundai. Hyundai has moved away a bit from "price" marketing and focused on selling features first.

Both choices seem good, depending on your towing and off-road needs.
  • dstinydstiny Member Posts: 12
    The 3.5 at the NY Auto Show had a 5-speed auto -it was listed right on the sticker.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Unlike the Japanese manufacturers who created luxury brands (Honda-Acura, Toyota-Lexus, etc.), Hyundai simply bought out a struggling company that was headed for bankruptcy. While they share some common parts, the two companies are not as closely related as their Japanese counterparts. Hope this helps.

PS-- If ride is a consideration, definitely go with the Santa Fe!!!
  • javaswingjavaswing Member Posts: 24
    Bought my Santa Fe GLS V6 AWD back in July, 2001.
    now after 18K miles and 22 months, I like it even
    better. A very smooth ride and power is decent. No rattles or squeaks. Not a single problem except the engine shaft position sensor recall.

cheers
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    If you look at the figures right on good 'ole Edmunds the 3.5 option on a GLS is $500 and it does have the 5 speed auto with it.

hud :):)
  • morritamorrita Member Posts: 3
    Huh?

According to edmunds.com the invoice price on the 2.7 GLS is $20172 and the 3.5 GLS is $21479. That's a $1300 difference. Worth noting though is that the 3.5 GLS does come with a 5-speed auto and ABS/Traction Control standard.

Here's something I was told at the dealership, but haven't confirmed elsewhere. The power distribution between front and rear has changed from a 60/40 ratio to 90/10. Adjustments to the ratio are electronically controlled. This would make the Hyundai's AWD more similar to Volvo's than Subaru's.

As far as real world price: I have a deal on the table for a 2003 Santa Fe GLS 3.5L AWD w/ roof rack rails, mud guards, and cargo tray for $22100 (incl. dest charge) + tax, title, license. That's about $450 below Edmund's TMV, about $200 below invoice, and also before the available $1000 rebate, so I expect I'll take it since I really like how the car handles (still haven't fallen completely in love with the styling though).
  • funtimeguyfuntimeguy Member Posts: 1
    I haven't seen much on leasing a Sante Fe on here.
    The lease will be up on my Ford Ranger in Aug. and I'm thinking about either leasing or buying a Sante Fe. My question is does Hyundai have a two year lease or do you have to go longer?
  • digita1bobdigita1bob Member Posts: 2
    $22,550 for 4WD LX 3.5L w/ moon roof. Does this price sound as good to you guys. Should I jump on this thing or what?

Bob
    Is that the price before the $1000 rebate; and does it include the $525 destination charge?

If yes on both counts, it's a steal at $1900 below invoice. If it is after the rebate and includes the destination charge, then you are about $900 below invoice; still a great deal to me. If it is after the rebate, but doesn't include the destination charge; then it is still a good deal IMHO at about $400 below invoice (22550+1000+525=24075, invoice=24437).
  • digita1bobdigita1bob Member Posts: 2
    Yes that includes the rebate, and the destination charge, so your figures are correct... about $925 below their invoice and about $461 below their cost after receiving the 2% manufactures hold back.

Are people getting even better deals than this?? If so, where? Also, how is the dealer making any money on this?? (Not that I care mind you)

Bob
    I got a GLS at $200 below invoice. I consider that a fair deal. Some things depend on the market you are in. I don't see how $900 below invoice could be anything other than a good deal.

FWIW: I didn't spend much time haggling. I thought the price I got was fair and didn't feel like dealing with the stress of going for the throat. I expect I could have got a couple hundred more dollars off if I felt like playing hardball, but I didn't. I did get a fair price on my trade-in so I'm comfortable with the price I paid.
  • clemens21clemens21 Member Posts: 1
    I have almost finalized a deal with a Hyundai Dealership in NH for a Sante Fe Base-auto 4 cylinder. Can someone let me know if I did alright or not on my negotiations.

The unsigned invoice was written as follows:
    Inv-$17.175, Options & Installation-$566 (Group 2 Utility Pckg),Floor Mats-$51,Cargo Tray-$51, Running Boards-$500,Cross Rails-$110, Advertising Fee-$600, Freight-$590 for a total of $19,463 + finance charges. Going with 0% Interest rate.

In addition I had to pay $85 to get the Sandstone Color I preferred but not on the lot. I also took into account that the Sante Fe is basically a hot commodity SUV after checking 4 dealership for quantity on lots. PLus on the day we got the paperwork going, 5 Sante Fe's were the only vechicle being taken for a test drive
    You can buy a 6 cyl GLS for less than that price in Florida.
  • abitjadedabitjaded Member Posts: 5
    Just yesterday I purchased a Santa Fe GLS, 3.5 L engine (with ABS, trac control). Going through Edmunds email quotes, one Denver CO dealer wanted $22500 and another wanted $21500. With the dealer with the cheaper deal, I found a Sandstone with one option: the CD cost another $300. So, $21800 total. Then $1000 rebate offer, $1700 down, $2300 trade in (1992 Ford Explorer in vg shape), $707 taxes, and no dealer prep/del charges (saving $389), 4.49% financing. So far, so good (I believe-comments?) but then I purchased the 10 year/100000 bumper to bumper warranty (Hyundai policy Advantage Plus, no deductible; transferability; I average only 10K miles a year and keep cars a long time) for $1795 (the dealer came down from $1995). Heres the weird part: the finance guy said that I would have to buy the 5 year warranty $370 plastic coating, headlight and hood ding policy (ResistAllPlus/A Touche of Class- did not cover bumper kit or grill kit) or he would not sell me the Hyundai 10 yr policy. He said that headline replacement along costs $300 so this extra is worth it. I did it for a final price of $23492. Comments on Resistallplus? I believe that I have three days to refuse the deal.
    Brad
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    No one HAS to buy anything else to purchase the Hyundai Advantage Plus -- the finance guy is full of baloney. BTW, mine cost under $1000 for a 2001 Elantra GLS. Don't let any dealer people fool you into doing what you know isn't proper.
  • abitjadedabitjaded Member Posts: 5
    Starting price of the Santa Fe GLS/3.5 L was $22800 (not $21800 as I said)-then subtract rebate, etc. Total price (with trade in, rebate, extended warranty,etc) was actually $20,811.
    BTW, two sales people said that they did not know if the $1000 rebate (or zero percent financing) will end this month or be extended, but one salesman said (AFTER I purchased the Santa Fe) that it will end because the sales of the Santa Fe has been so good.
    Two days of driving the new Santa Fe has proven the idea that car based SUVs are much safer than and handle better than truck frame SUVs (see recent Consumer Reports SUV issue on the safety of car based SUVs- and the Santa Fe is one of the few that they recommend). Having driven the same route to work in my old Ford Explorer for almost 15 years (I know every place that I had to REALLY slow down), my new Santa Fe drives infinitely better -- it really handles well (the old Exploder would porpoise along on washboard bumps and I had no control over steering for brief periods of time). Now if I can get the Santa Fe through deep snow in town, and over Mosquito Pass in the Rockies.
  • s618s618 Member Posts: 15
    Hello I am a proud owner of a 03 gls 2wd in silver . I was wondering if anyone has or has done an aftermarket sunroof . That was one thing I really wanted and the guy at hyundai told me that most imports are port installed therefore installed after they come over the boat. So I was hesitant about having them leak and whether or not to do it. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Greetings. We purchased our 2002.5 Santa Fe in May of 2002, about 4 months before Hyundai offered a sunroof on their USA models. We had an inboard put in that looks as good or better than the factory ones. It is a Solaire 5300, made by Webasto. This company has a nationwide network of dealers that can handle the install. Their website is :http://www.webasto-us.com/am/en/am_auto_sunroofs.html and on that page, you can click the link to find a dealer in your area. I will admit there is occasionally an annoying rattle in my roof, but I will also admit that my brand new Mercedes C-class has the same annoying rattle, and this is NOT an aftermarket roof! Hope this helps.

Tim
  • steve285steve285 Member Posts: 8
    Here's another reason to like your new Santa Fe: it accepts the cabin air filter from the Sonata. For some reason, the Santa Fe ships with the filter box empty, and the option to install the cabin air filter is never mentioned. Even the dealers don't know about it.

Read the entire message thread at the following URL and you'll find a link to the actual instructions, as well as the part number for the filter:

http://pub108.ezboard.com/fhyundaisantafemessageboardfrm63.showMe- - ssage?topicID=2536.topic

If you just ask the dealer for a cabin air filter for a Santa Fe, they won't know what you're talking about. Mine cost me $35, others have been charged as little as $29.

Installation took me about 1.5 hours with several interruptions. The only tools needed are a 10-mm socket wrench and a phillips head screwdriver. If you already own these, you can probably do the installation yourself without any difficulty. Best to do this while the car is still new, before dust builds up on the air conditioning evaporator.
    Steve 285 is right I opened up my 2001 Santa Fe LX
    and the cabin air filter is missing.There was small bits of leaves and other debis on the floor next to the evaporator. I am sure in the 2 yrs and 7 months I have owened the Santa FE LX that dirt has entered the evaporator.

I am going to the dealer today to get the cabin air filter. It only took me about 15 min to open and get to the filter.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Except for a few minor changes, the Santa Fe soldiers on offering a compliant ride, roomy interior and reasonable value — only now it can be had with a bigger and more powerful engine."

Follow-Up Test: 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

Steve, Host
    My Hyundai dealer did not have the Cabin filter. I went to an automotive store and bought a fram air filter that had the same height and width but was longer by 2 1/2 inches. I cut the 2 1/2 inches off and inserted the filter. It fit fine and only cost $5.99.
  • 007up007up Member Posts: 5
    Digita1bob, Now that Hyundai mfg Santa Fe 3.5L Std. (LX trim level only) @ invoice-cost $23,321 w/roof optional invoice-cost $526 and destination-cost $590 a total of $24,437.The price-quote $22,550 you received sound like an excellent price! Where & what dealership (Pls. no salesperson name just location & dealership name) gave you this price-quote for ’03 Santa Fe LX AWD 3.5L w/ moon roof. I’m in the north NJ/NYC metro-area window shopping for a ’03 SF LX-trim AWD. Your price-quote may help others who enter this Santa Fe forum. Thx. in advance.

007up
  • tm01tm01 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone heard of Hyundai giving the Santa Fe a
    makeover anytime soon?
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    There's a new 3.5L V6 available now. It comes with a 5-speed auto trans and a different AWD system. The AWD system may be a step backwards. From what I've read they've moved from a Subaru type viscous system (all wheels are powered all the time with a 60/40 front / rear torque split) to a Ford Escape / CRV / MDX style electronically controlled system where it's FWD only until the computer detects wheel slippage.

The 2.7 V6 Santa Fes still have the old system, which leads me to believe that the new system was added to the 3.5 V6 models to mitigate some of the weight gain and poorer gas mileage that came with the new engine.

I believe the next redesign is expected in the 2005-2006 time frame, once Hyundai starts building Santa Fes in their US plant.

-Jason
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Pretty good results for the Sante Fe compared to the others tested.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety side impact crash tests

Steve, Host
  • carnutalcarnutal Member Posts: 1
    some torque steer even with moderate accel. from a stop. I loved the car though especially the great ride and nice interior. I wanted to test the 2.7 but they couldn't find one. Go figure. Any way, anybody else notice this? Alan in Md.
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    I owned a 1975 Honda (had the highly touted CVCC engine) that had TERRIBLE torque steer (AND was a POS). Twenty-seven RWD years later, I tried another FWD vehicle (2002 Santa Fe - 2.7L) and was pleasantly
    surprised to find NO torque steer.

I bought it!! =;-)
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    The link with instructions came up as an error, so I can't get the part number. Also, can anyone tell me just where I access this filter. If I can get it open, I'll buy the filter at the auto store. Thanks
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    As a previous owner of a 2000 Hyundai Elantra (my ex LOVES the car), I saw first hand how far Hyundai manufacturing had come. This past Wednesday I purchased a Hyundai Santa Fe LX. For anybody else shopping, here is the deal I got:
    2003 Santa Fe LX, 3.5L engine w/5 speed Shiftronic transmission. Factory option package 5/AE with powered moonroof was installed. The dealer installed a "Gold Package" which is basically some pinstripe and the badges are gold plated. MSRP was 24,684 before the dealer's $1,195 add-on. I had a towing hitch added for the MSRP price of $350, and the following the dealer added on at no cost: Roof rack crossrails (MSRP $180), mud guards (MSRP $75) and chromed tubular cab steps (not the Hyundai running boards) (MSRP $490). In addition, my first oil change is free and I got a full tank of gas. All told, I paid $23,999 out the door. Their invoice price was $24,003 for all of the above (I included $20 for the gas and $15 for the oil change, which would be their cost). I think it was a fair deal.

It's a smooth, powerful ride and I like it a lot. On the lot the blower motor for the air conditioning system had a leaf or something stuck in it, but they fixed that before I would drive it off the lot.

HINT: Get all your known factory defects fixed BEFORE you drive it off the lot. You always have the option of walking away from your contract if you are not completely satisfied with the deal and IF you don't take delivery within 3 days. If you take delivery though, it's yours.

Did anyone else's dealer hold ALL copies of the sales contract for several days after the deal? I thought I would get a copy right away, but they informed me my copy would be mailed along with my rebate check in about a week. Sounds suspicious to me.
    I purchased the tow hitch when I got my Santa Fe, and it was installed by the dealer. When I went to pick up the vehicle, there was no draw bar on the hitch. The service manager said it didn't come with the hitch... yet it is pictured on the brochure and has no "draw bar not included" fine print. Did your dealer-installed hitch come with a draw bar?
  • 1234693112346931 Member Posts: 17
    in msg# 3949 steve 285 talks about the santa fe shipping without this item. in this msg, there is a url, relating to this problem. i can't access this url, as I am on the web, not a computer. I am presently buying a santa fe, hopefully completing the process, in a few days. can anyone advise me on exactly where this filter is, so I can check on it, before I leave the dealer?
    The cabin filter is underneath the glove box. However access to the filter requires removing the glove box. The dealer might not want to do that.
  • 1234693112346931 Member Posts: 17
    thanx for your reply. do you have a part number for the fram filter you used? alsohave you any info on damage caused by the missing filter. is the missing filter covered under the warranty? thanx again in advance.
    I just bought my Santa Fe a little over a week ago. Two days ago I cracked the moon room open for the first time on the highway (it's been raining a lot here and I don't drive the vehicle much) and noticed between 20 & 50 MPH there is a deafining low frequency air vibration in the cabin. Placing a hand into the airstream stops this, and it goes away at speeds lower than 20 MPH or higher than 50 MPH. Cracking open a window helps also, but does not eliminate the problem. I do not have a wind deflector (yet), and I'm hoping this would fix the problem. Does/did your Santa Fe suffer from this?