Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• leigh8leigh8 Member Posts: 14
    Hi all,

I've been a member of this board since 2000 and have to say we still love our SF. We have a 2001 GLS w/ 58043 miles and haven't had a day of trouble. We are still glad we made the purchase even though everyone thought we were crazy back in 2000 for doing so. Our biggest complaint is that we had to have the bumpers repainted about 5mos after purchase due to peeling paint.

Now a new question which may be more suited to another board but y-all are so smart we thought you might know: We waxed the SF a week ago and got some wax on the black trim around the windows. Now it is fading fast with the rag marks from wiping off the wax showing up really well. Is there a special reconditioner that we can apply to the plastic to make it look new again? TIA, Leigh
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    You might try some penetrating oil (WD-40 or the like). Spray it on a rag, then wipe the affected area. This should remove the wax from the plastic.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some people around Town Hall recommend peanut butter. Seriously! Smooth, not crunchy.

Getting wax/polish off of plastic trim

Steve, Host
  • jason86jason86 Member Posts: 14
    We're going to be buying a 2003 SF at the end of this month, with the 2.7 V6 and sunroof. Does anybody use the Shiftronic? Can you do any damage if you use it improperty? How exactly do you use it? I've driven many standards and know how you can easily make the car redline. Can you switch from automatic to Shiftronic on the fly, or do you have to be at a complete stop? I haven't been able to find much documentation on it anywhere. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
  • lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    There may not be any 2003s left at the end of the month. 2004s were availiable by the 26th of last month. As for the shiftronics, you can shift on the fly and it won't let you hurt it. if the revs get to high it will shift anyway
    Thanks for the quick response Lexconner. We went to the dealership on the 31st of august and they had about 10 SF's left. Drove past it this morning and they've now got at least 20. There isn't much difference between the 03's and the 04's besides price though, is there?
  • tsberkey4tsberkey4 Member Posts: 40
    Jason86,

I drive the Santa Fe only occasionally (my wife drives it full-time) but the one feature that I had to have that none of the other small SUV's had was Shiftronic. I use it ALL the time when I drive it. You can't possibly do ANYTHING to hurt it. If you try to downshift before your RPM's are low enough, it will ignore you. I don't know about the other way, but lexconner says that it does work that way too. (It does on my c-class, but I take that up to the red-line a whole lot more than I would a Santa Fe, ya' know?) Anyway, it's great for driving in snowy conditions, where you want to upshift to reduce torque. It's great for long grades, to prevent gear-hunting. It's great to help you decelerate with less brake usage. You will love this feature.

Best of luck. Let us know what you got!

Tim
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    It takes about 30 seconds to get used to - really intuitive. It's nice on long, hilly trips to hold a gear otherwise I pretty much ignore it. Oh, and you can use it to take off in second gear from a stop, which can be useful in slippery conditions.

-Jason
  • lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    Only Real differance between the 2 years is some different colors and 1000 dollar rebate on the 03s.
    for all your help. can't wait to buy mine. just hope the wife doesnt like it so much she takes it (which seems to be the case with a lot of people on here). I'll fill everybody in once we buy it.
  • jboz29jboz29 Member Posts: 15
    I really love my new Santy, but a couple of things just bug me, like no light in the back when I raise my truck up at night and no full time power to the outlets. Also, the cap holder on the gas tank lid, 9 out of 10 times I knock that cap off when I take the nozzle out after filling up and it bangs on the side. Maybe it's just me, but I try to be carefull and still do it. I also have the engine bump every once in awhile at different speeds of 40 mostly and happened at 60 the other day. Hopefully I can get that resolved because it makes my stomach turn when it does it. Gas mileage is still around 18 and 21 @ 9K miles. Other that that I luv her I think...
    "I really love my new Santy, but a couple of things just bug me, like no light in the back when I raise my truck up at night"

jboz,

Are you meaning when you lift the hatch? I went through the first three months of ownership thinking the same thing until one day I was crawling around in back and I discovered that there IS a light for the cargo area, but you can't see it when you are outside of the vehicle unless you poke your head inside and look up! It is just like your other light with a 3-way switch: On, Off, and Door-Activated. Like mine, yours was probably bumped to the off position.

Let me know what you find.

Tim
  • jboz29jboz29 Member Posts: 15
    I had to think twice before coming on here admitting that I wasnt smart enough to find that. But there it was when I stuck my head in and looked up, whaala. Never seeen that little baby since i been driving it. Thnx man. Now I Luv her a little more...
    Rest comfortably knowing there's at least two of us on this planet!!! By the way, my wife reminded me that SHE found it, and I think she is probably right on this one. :)
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    did anyone install a filter in the a/c unit fan
    box. my dealer says there is none available for the santa fe. most cars and suv's have them
  • meeeepstermeeeepster Member Posts: 10
    check out post #4000
  • survivor93survivor93 Member Posts: 25
    I just got a new Santa Fe LX 3.5. I love this truck. Everything is perfect except the calander. My S.F. has a sunroof. The calander is mounted next to the roof controls.
    Every time I set the calander after a few hours, it jumps ahead by 1 day.
    Has anyone had this problem & if so, how do I correct it?
    Please e-mail me at SURVIVOR93@AOL.COM
    Thanks
  • rooster2003rooster2003 Member Posts: 10
    Message #4010 mentions problems very much like what I have. The dealer has been unable to "duplicate". I find that very hard to believe. Every friend who I have asked to drive finds the shifting and uncommanded harsh acceleration very discomforting. What is one to do?
    I am very upset with the dealer. I will take it back a fourth time next week. Does Hyundai really care at all?

These problems are easily noticable.
    1) Harsh uncommanded acceleration
    2) Pause when accelerating (downshifting)
    3) Very, VERY soft shifting - sometimes wonder if it is going to actually shift.
    4) Speeding up (just a little) sometimes causes a downshift to too low a gear and rpm is 5500-6000!
    5) Press the gas to go (as in merging into traffic)
    and usually it does nothing for several seconds them lunges ahead like a car on crack!
    6) Shiftronic is terrible. Takes a long time (seconds) to shift and downshift. Doesn't seem to ever want to shift out of first gear when in sport mode.

Help! :)
    Copied this from another Santa Fe forum. I had the problem of the date changing in the middle of the day until I did this...

SANTA FE CALENDAR - SETTING THE INTERNAL CLOCK
    DESCRIPTION

The optional calendar on the overhead console must be set to the correct time to ensure the date will change at midnight. If the internal clock is not properly set, the date may change at an incorrect time each day.

When the calendar is first powered up, the calendar will be set at 23:00 December 1, 2001 (11:00 PM). This TSB describes how to set both the internal time and the date in the calendar.

The internal clock and calender must be set before the vehicle is delivered to the customer.

PROCEDURE
    First, set the internal clock of the digital calendar.

Press and hold the "M" button for at least 3 seconds until the digits for the HOUR blink.

Use the UP or DOWN button to adjust the hour according to military time (example: 3 = 3AM, 15 = 3PM).

Press the "M" button to set the MINUTES and then press the UP or DOWN button to adjust the minutes.

Press the "M" button when finished.

Next, set the date of the digital calendar.

Press the "M" button to display a blinking YEAR, use the UP or DOWN button to adjust the year.

Press the "M" button again to display a blinking MONTH, use the UP or DOWN button to adjust the MONTH.

Press the "M" button again to display a blinking DAY, use the UP or DOWN button to adjust the DAY.

Press the "M" button once again when finished.
    The auto transmission on Santa Fe vehicles has a 'learning' capability. Inform your dealer that you want the transmission re-programmed, and they will disconnect power from the module and instruct you on how to 'teach' the transmission. Basically, it provides the shift points based upon how you drive, smooth, hard or somewhere inbetween.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    Refer your dealer to Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 03-40-13-1 { no shifting in Sport mode} 03-40-019 {harsh and/or delayed shifts}. On second thought, do you have another dealer you can go to? These guys should've been on top of this already.

If they cannot resolve the problem using the recommended procedures in the TSB, Hyundai authorizes a tranny replacement.

Hope this helps.
  • rooster2003rooster2003 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you Skuuter! I should probably see another dealer. It bugs me that my dealer is so seemingly (a)incompetent or (b)unconcerned
    Thanks for the help.
    I will try it.
    Thanks richsap. I copied your instructions, went out to my S.F., & tried it.
    It worked.
  • rhdrocrhdroc Member Posts: 22
    Anyone know how or where to locate information on programming a keyless entry remote for an 02 Santa Fe??

Thanks---<Rick
    Your dealer uses a special programming transmitter from Hyundai for this. They charge a half hour of labor for it, but if you are buds with your service advisor, give them a lot of your business and/or they are really nice, they may do it for free. The process takes about 10 minutes to program and verify that the remote works.
    AS AN AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE MANAGER I HAVE ACCESS TO MANY PRODUCTS.
    I SIMONIZED MY 2003 SANTA FE LX AND GOT WAX ON THE REAR SCUFF GUARD AND THE SCUFF GUARDS ON THE RUNNING BOARDS. I TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET THE WHITE RESIDUE OFF. NOTHING WORKED.
    THEN I TRIED BLACK LIQUID SHOE POLISH.
    NOT ONLY DID IT REMOVE THE WAX MARKS, IT MADE THE PADS SHINE.
    Please no all caps - the shouting is hard to read.

Next time try peanut butter. People have had great success with it around Town Hall. Creamy only. :-)

Steve, Host
    I've used light penetrating oil (WD-40 and the like) before to clean up plastic panels. I've always been concerned with the long term effects of using a petrolium-based product on plastic, however. I think I'll try the peanut butter and shoe polish and see which lasts longer. Thanks!
    AT THE BEGINNING PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCTS WILL WORK BUT THERE WILL BE A LONG TERM AFFECT IF CONTINUALLY USED.
  • sydsdadsydsdad Member Posts: 2
    Hello to everyone. Although I live in the UK just had to join the discussion. Acquired my Santa Fe October 10th so been the proud owner for almost a week. Read the instruction book cover to cover and have ended up with one question which I'm sure can be answered regarding the air con system. My car has come with the electronic climate control. I know if I turn it on to auto, set the temp the system will do the rest. However, what the book doesn't say is whether I have to have the face level vents open or closed when on auto. I've watched the display and it shows air being blown through them when it is trying to achieve the desired temperature so I presume they have to be open.. or do they. So, open or closed. Told you it was simple. As for the rest of the car, great. Superb value for money (even though we pay over the odds for vehicles in this country..)
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    Steve,

If I understand you correctly, then, yes, the upper vents can be closed without any problem. A simpler approach is to redirect the forced air by selecting the Mode button which will alternate which vents are used.
    In the 'auto' mode, only the center console vents can be utilized. Changing the vents (or fan setting) places the system into 'manual' mode.

While I enjoy the automatic climate control a great deal, I wish you were able to change the vent configuration in auto mode as well.
  • sydsdadsydsdad Member Posts: 2
    Thanks gents, had the centre face levels vents open tonight, turned up the temp on auto and only air blew on the feet warming up the car, no air came through the centre/face vents at all even thought they were open, therefore the system must have turned them off. Sorted.
  • tenclub03tenclub03 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at buying a 2001 Sante Fe/2.7 liter/6 cyl/Auto/30K miles. Going for about $15K. Is it a good investment, looking at the forum looks like the overall consesus is happy owners. I dont see a lot of Sante Fe resold by owners in our local paper, like Ford Explorers, etc. My gut feeling is its a good buy. Any thoughts or recommendations, I'll be buying off a dealer and still have the remaining 5y/60K miles warranty left (30K miles left on warranty). Thanks for any feedback.
    Make sure you play with the Appraise: What is your car worth? link on the main edmunds.com page.

Steve, Host
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Anyone here with a 2WD 2.7 GLS , that can post their mileage for city and highway? Thank You!
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    orangelebaron:

My '02GLS w/2.7L has 20815 miles; used 980 gallons of gasoline for an average of 21.2 mpg. I estimate 65/35 highway/city driving.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Thanks.
    Wow...you really keep track. Also...do you have a light foot or a lead foot?
    orangelebaron:

Yeah! I'm one of those guys, that records every item for the car.

My foot is kinda light off-the-start. If my wife is driving, you'd better have your seat belt cinched up tight! =:-)
  • doctord33doctord33 Member Posts: 14
    Hey all -- Pondering the idea of ponying up for a new Hyundai Santa Fe, but I wanted to get something cleared up. A salesman at a Ford dealership (shocker) told me there is a limit on the number of miles you can have in a year in order to keep the warranty valid (regardless if its a purchase or lease). Any truth to this or just shameless sales tactics? Figured you fine folks would know. Thanks ...
    >A salesman at a Ford dealership (shocker) told me there is a limit on the >number of miles you can have in a year in order to keep the warranty valid >(regardless if its a purchase or lease)
    A salesman at a Ford dealership (shocker) told me there is a limit on the number of miles you can have in a year in order to keep the warranty valid (regardless if its a purchase or lease). Any truth to this or just shameless sales tactics?

Answer: Not true! Shameless sales tactics for sure! Like Harry said, the warranty is based on total time/miles, and there are no mileage per year limitations. The salesman obviously wants to steer you away from the Hyundai.
  • doctord33doctord33 Member Posts: 14
    That's what I figured -- thanks guys. I greatly appreciate it.
    "The new vehicle will be called the Tucson. It will be smaller than the company's other SUV, the Santa Fe."

Hyundai expands U.S. lineup (Miami Herald)

Watch for a Future Vehicles discussion about it.

Steve, Host
    I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6 with 4x4.
    I have noticed that once in awhile when I have come to a complete stop, I get a soft thump coming from the back. It feels as if the car behind me tapped me.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem, & what can be done about it? SURVIVOR93@AOL.COM
    This is a known and documented bug with some of the 4 and 5 speed automatic transmissions. Your dealership will take care of it free of charge. Most likely requries the transmisson 'memory' to be wiped clean and reprogrammed. No big whup.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you need the TSB or recall number, you might ask one of the technicians to post it in our Technical Service Bulletins discussion.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

I own a 2003 Sante Fe with a 3.5l motor and it
    is also a 4x4. I always keep the traction control on.
    I am getting 20.9 miles per gallon on the open highway.
    I was wondering if anyone out there with a 3.5L
    motor is getting the same or what they are getting on the highway..
  • ferne2004ferne2004 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a dealer quote of under `7K for the basic 4 Cyl, 2WD. How do I get out of the add ons like dealer prepe, origination fee type of charges on the paperwork? We're Central Mass area.